Paris Can Wait (2016) Poster

A Great Comedy-Romance For All The Family.
HealthyLove4 June 2017
Paris Can Wait is absolutely a great comedy-romance movie from the talented director Eleanor Coppola.

It is an entertaining movie from the beginning to the end. Great scenery of Paris ,amazing acting, enchanting romance,delicious French food and stunning direction.

Rated PG and suitable for all children .Adults would definitely enjoy it especially when they learn that this movie was screened in the Special Presentations section at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival.

God Bless The Amazing Eleanor Coppola (The Wife Of The Great Director Francis Ford Coppola).

Indeed:" Behind A Great Man There Has To Be A Great Woman.
201 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it! Always love Diane Lane!
rrhew19 June 2017
What a nice change to see a movie that is just a lovely little vignette in a mature woman's and man's lives, that was shot on location in one of our planet's beautiful countrysides, that contains mature sexual innuendo without gratuitous acts or nudity, that contains no profanity, that stars one of the most appealing actresses ever, the one and only Ms. Diane Lane, and that left me hoping for more movies like this one. Would have liked more of Alec Baldwin's humorous character -- one that suits Mr. Baldwin's comedic acting talents. Congratulations to Ms. Coppola for directing such a wonderful movie at age 80!
70 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
no spoiler here
stom375 July 2017
"Paris Can Wait" is a pathway to joy offered in the splendid rendition of french culture, beautifully written and directed by the wise and gifted Eleanor Coppola. Thank you a million times, Madame Coppola, for your artistry and diligence in offering a miraculous escape from our wonderful, but exhausting, existence in a fast-paced, worrisome, volatile discourses in so many areas, of our contemporary, modern lives. I breathed a welcome sigh of relief when I first saw the movie and, so delighted in the mere joy and charisma of it, its magnet pulling me, I did find myself re-entering the movie theater another four times to see it again. I admit I am hooked on the beauty of the movie and cannot wait until the DVD comes out, the waiting list on which my name already appears.

To have this visual travel into the calm nuances one finds in the true beauty of the scenery and culture of France is invigorating to our spirit, and the marvelous accompanying musical score, enhancing each scene, adapts so well to the enticing dialogue between these amazing actors.

Diane Lane is without question the epitome of elegance in her reactions to a less than dedicated husband, and her acquiescence into a less than perfect marriage, but her tolerance of the french man, Jacques, with his passion for her so obvious in each look and expression, was masterfully handled by her effort at humor and her consistent sophistication and is appreciated by many women today who have found themselves in a similar situation. Most noteworthy here is kudos must be given to the wardrobe mistress, as the clothing ensemble she chose for Anne was beyond stunning, modeled perfectly by Ms. Lane and her beautiful comportment.

The actor Arnaud Viard was perfection in his role and perfectly cast also. The movie is a tranquilizer for our troubled times, a welcome escape. We need more beautiful movies that remind and inform us of the beauty of the world, and Ms. Coppola has done that magnificently.
52 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Savoring the present moment
elenasurikova19 October 2017
"Are you happy?" is the question the director Eleanor Coppola wants you to ask yourself and invites you to explore what it is that makes us truly happy.

We see a neglected wife of a businessman rediscovering how to enjoy life, but the movie is bigger than that. It's not about an uneventful car ride to Paris among bucolic sceneries and savoring the French cousin, as many might see it. It's about the art of staying truly present.

We think that we are living by hectically skipping from one step stone to another, but instead the life fleetingly passes by. Eleanor Coppola calls us to experience life, see subtle details and take in your existence. Immerse in the surrounding environment, instead of incessantly rushing towards your next destination.

The annoying and persistent French associate of Anne's husband, Jacques Clement, patiently teaches us that attention is the key: the attention to details, focusing on your sensations, noticing subtle expressions of your companion's face and taking time to see the world around.

Instead of constantly thinking of the goal of the journey, attempt to enjoy the process as it is. Instead of living in the imaginary future, making one mental assignment after another to keep your mind busy, why not being content with where you are. Paris can wait as all your other distracting mental destinations, but your life can't.

If you want to explore a mere process of moving to a goal, but not checking off the list what the main characters did or did not do, it's the movie for you.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A romantic trip through France, written by a woman for women
siderite1 October 2017
I don't get the low rating for this film. As a man, I can understand how it would be borderline boring, but still it is a good movie, with good acting and very beautiful content. I went through a trip in France, with the great lighting and the great food and the beautiful countryside and I can tell you it's truly what women want. My wife was happy for months. And this is the film adaptation of such a trip, written and directed by Eleanor Coppola.

There are two problems with this film. One is that this is about rich people traveling through France and getting the best of the best from fancy restaurants and places for the in-people. That can annoy some folk. The other is that there really is no story. There's just a French guy trying to woo a beautiful American married woman.

One can learn a lot from this film, too. Basically, the writer says "hey, men that take their wives for granted! Your women want romance!". OK, that can be annoying, too, but also serves as a manual on how women would like to be made to feel.

Bottom line: a true romantic road trip movie, with no pointless comedy or drama added. Refreshing and inspiring.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely charming and the food looks divine
phd_travel8 July 2017
This is a really enjoyable and delightful movie. Diane Lane is perfect for the role of slightly neglected wife of a movie producer (Alec Baldwin). But this isn't another Under the Tuscan Sun. There is no May to December romance here. Starting off in the South of France Diane's character is driven up to Paris by her husband's partner - a charming but not attractive middle aged man. They travel through Provence then Lyon and Burgundy. There are stops in Vezelay at a Basilica. In each place they go to various French restaurants and the food is showcased beautifully and drink wine. It is the fine dining that is the highlight of this movie. The relationship between the lead characters is refreshing with subtle observations on culture differences - it's about friendship not romance. Eleanor Coppola directs very nicely.
38 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Evocative
aharmas15 June 2017
Eleanor Coppola knows how to use a background, how to compose a scene, and how to cast a couple with excellent chemistry. "Paris Can Wait" succeeds because it gives you what it promises, a light comedy/travelogue with plenty of succulent looking meals, ranging from the exquisite to the divine. It's a pretty impressive parade of gourmet creations that could have stolen the film from the two stars: Diane Lane, as gorgeous as ever, and her traveling partner, Arnaud Viard, who gives one of the most debonair performances in recent years, somehow keeping enough sense of reality to make him a real human being. Maybe that's why it's easy to connect with the story and their dilemmas. These characters give us enough glamour and fantasy, but they are pretty much regular normal beings.

Anne (Lane) is suffering from an ear condition that keeps her from riding on a plane with her husband to Budapest. A friend of her husband's offers to driver her to Paris, in a trip that will take a few hours, but that extends into a couple of days filled with one marvelous experience after another.

Jacques (the driver) turns out to be a charmer r who has a solid background on the importance of food to heal, seduce, and produce overall delightful experiences. He introduces her to some of the best eateries along the way, and the treats are a pleasure to the eye and the palate. There's something about ordering a superb meal in French. It seems to add to the experience, of course, accompanied by the right wine.

They get to know each other, revealing bits of personal past experiences. We see how Lane is a pretty grounded wife who has settled into an average marriage; she takes care of the family, and he is in charge of providing a good living for his wife and daughter. Yet, something seems to be missing, and Jacques comes in and opens the door to a world that includes many pleasures. These can be as simple as tasting food in its basic forms, or enjoying the ultimate culinary creations. In addition to their restaurant experiences, we are treated to gorgeous scenery, a couple of museums, a deep spiritual and revealing scene in an antique church, a place which we could call a turning point for the ever developing drama.

Jacques is a mystery, showing a side of himself that has served him well for many years. He is a master at presenting delicacies, flowers, music, views, every possible aspect of an unforgettable trip. Yet, he eventually opens up and gives us a peek into what shaped him, what made him what he is now. He is very appreciate of fine things in life, and Anne is possibly, one of the best things he has ever encountered.

As played by Lane, Anne has joined a group of unforgettable performances by this actress. She's someone who we don't have the pleasure of seeing enough on the silver screen. Her Anne is luminous and beautiful. She is capable of showing her in both glamorous and plain modes, managing to look incredible in both.

The big question is whether Anne will fall for Jacques. Is he just playing with her emotions, her introduction to a world that show you how majestic and enchanting life can be? Or has he fallen for this beauty that happens to reveal herself as a very interesting yet perfectly approachable woman? She calls him a flirt, but one would lie if one was to say she has her own way of bewitching those around her.

In the end, we will be debating about what really happens or will happen at this moment. "Paris Can Wait" is a very enjoyable and magical movie, and maybe there will be a second installment and they can take us through Italy or Spain next time.
46 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well written and fun
edwardlovette28 September 2017
This movie should be about a 7 or 8 because it is very well written with good pacing. Not boring at all and a very insightful movie in many ways about relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

I have mostly enjoyed all of Diane lane's movies. Some actors have a knack for picking scripts and even if the movie is not commercial at least you don't leave the theatre thinking you wasted two hours of your life.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Delightful!
gsfword22 October 2017
A loving road trip through France with a touching performance by Diane Lane that demonstrates her mastery of the craft of acting in every scene. Finally, a film for grown-ups! Exquisitely directed with a light touch, that lets the story unfold through Lane's eyes as she finds herself in a compromising situation that is both comic and heartbreaking.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dreary travelogue masquerading as romantic-comedy
ozjosh0330 September 2017
You'd think Eleanor Coppola - wife of Francis and mother of Sofia - would have picked up a few tips about film-making over the years. Even just listening to Francis on the phone or asking Sofia how she's getting on with work. But, no, clearly not. Mama Coppola has no feel whatsoever for romantic-comedy, no clue about what makes a character interesting or believable, no concept of pace or tension, and apparently no interest in dialogue that is anything but banal. What she puts on the screen doesn't much resemble a movie at all, to be brutally honest. At best, Paris Can Wait comes across like a lavish, but not particularly compelling travelogue, fully funded by the French Tourist Bureau. At worst, it evokes some rather dull American housewife's Youtube vlog of her European vacation. You'd also think any movie starring Diane Lane can't be too bad. But Lane - normally watchable in just about anything - is so stretched by the thinness of the material here that her attempts to inject some degree of fun and tension into scenes quickly becomes tedious. It doesn't help that her character is infuriatingly passive and pliable for a supposedly successful businesswoman and the well-traveled wife of a film producer. She doesn't balk at being hijacked on her drive to Paris, or having her credit card snaffled for expensive meals and hotels, and she's astonishingly slow to question the motives of a man who takes liberties and takes advantage at every turn. All in all, Paris Can Wait is an insult to the menopausal women it is so clearly setting out to exploit. The two points are purely for the French cuisine along the way - all of it fully described and scrupulously photographed, as though each canard and poisson is another character in the film. And they might as well be.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Diane did it again
maurodc13 August 2017
Although probably I have seen very few of the works of Diane Lane, the few ones I have seen were very enjoyable for me (Under the Tuscan sun, for example). And well, in spite of it, it had been a long time since I saw her in a role that wasn't Martha Kent, and it was very joyful to see her back to her roots in 'Paris can wait'.

It has a very unique premise, well executed in a Woody Allen fashion that keeps the things interesting. The script was very cool and funny. The performances were perfectly descent and Diane and Arnaud looked pretty well together. The locations and the food (oh my God, the food) and all the settings of France, along with their photography, were awesome too.

Worth to watch, especially if you like the fine food and to travel like me. And also, if you are a fan of Diane Lane and of Woody Allen's style, believe me, you won't be disappointed with this one at all.

Thanks for reading!
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Handy housewife and gay froggy slow boat their way to the city of lights.
imdb-936-83714419 June 2017
Happy American homemaker Anne (Diane Lane) and her successful businessman husband Michael (Alec Baldwin) are at a mile­stone in their lives. Their only daughter has gone off to college leaving them an empty nest. They take a European vacation.

Michael's business keeps intruding on him ("The vacation can wait") via his ubiquitous cell phone—with a dog bark ring tone. Anne, ever practical, finding her­self in a hotel in Cannes, which doesn't serve cheese­burgers, orders a hamburger *and* a cheese sandwich—her hubby can afford it—to construct her own. When Michael gets diverted for business to Budapest and Anne has ear troubles ("I don't recommend you fly today"), she avails her­self of the kind offer of one of Michael's associates Jacques (Arnaud Viard) to drive her with him from the south of France to Paris. Oh, the stops they make! Anne, ever practical, is not above getting under the hood of a kaput auto­mobile. They stop for the night and Jacques orders them adjacent rooms ("*companion chambres*") while Anne not knowing French just plays along.

Jacques educates her on French culture: "We French are practical" concerning marriage and all that. There's a practical way to make a man sandwich: Her husband is the hamburger, bringing home the bacon, but he neglects her. Jacques while too much a creature of circum­stance to inspire monetary security, is one consummate cheesy romantic—with the best French cheese, of course. This option is perhaps best expressed in (Prov. 20:30), "Such is the way of an adulterous woman; she eateth, and wipeth her mouth, and saith, I have done no wickedness." Anne indulges herself on rich chocolates along the way, and she doesn't worry about some broken crockery. Practical, granted, but applied to marriage, neglecting vows and morality figuring the mess can be cleaned up, is not a "practicality" to be lightly engaged in.

As they tool along the French countrywide, Jacques the Lothario who encounters other "practical" dames in his haunts along the way, keeps one wondering if Anne is going to be beguiled as well. It's sort of like boiling water; there's the adage: "A watched pot never boils." One woman in my row even left the theater when nothing happened after a long time.

The French actors were superb (except for one inadequately coached kid in a minor part), and the American actors seasoned. The French cuisine was a visual feast but beyond my ken to recognize it (save for the dande­lions & escargot). This movie of incipient sexual adventure is pretty tame by American standards but would more appeal to Europeans for milking the buildup. I liked it, but I like a wide range of movies. It may not move fast enough for some tastes. The scenery is engaging.
37 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's good to take your time and eat your food and watch the scenery unfold
subxerogravity3 June 2017
So own my way to posting this, I discovered that the director, Eleanor Coppola is 80 years old and this is her fist feature narrative. I like that. I assumed that Eleanor was some new 20- something year old Coppola getting into the family business, but as it turns out she's been in the biz along side her hubby Francis Ford for over 5 decades. I mean, this may be her first narrative but the film game an'it new to her (You could probably say that about any Coppola at any age).

Paris can wait was what I like to call a slow burn. It's a great movie that takes it's time getting to the point but it's a very enjoyable romp getting to that point.

And now I'm seeing something about the film I've never seen before. Similar to her daughter, Sofia's film Lost in Translation, the film is about the wife of a film producer who is far too busy to spend time with his wife as he's getting a movie made. She's unable to fly do to ear problems so the husband has one of his employees drive her from Cannes to Paris, and he takes the scenic route about it. Somewhere in this story is a lot of real life I'm sure.

The movie is not for everyone, I would say. I can see that appeal for women who know exactly what it's like to be in a relationship with a man married to his job, but for the most part, I find the movie concentrates or centers around the food of France a lot. Lots of really cool scenes of Diane Lane and her co-star, Arnaud Viard sharing meals with each other, and the meals look great. Far better than the scenery of France. I must admit, I was expecting France to look far more beautiful than it does in this movie, but I guess what Eleanor thinks of this road trip is different than what I was expecting (But what do I know I'm no Coppola).

You know what was great to look at? Diane Lane. So beautiful. I feel like the word MILF does not go with the elegance and grace she brought to the performance. Perhaps Cougar? Either way, smoking hot.

It's a very classically done comedy. You don't see movies made like this anymore. Very laid back and relax with the purpose of everything unfolding naturally.

Like some of the food in the movie it's a required taste, but I recommend taking a bite.

38 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet trip through Provence
ReganRebecca23 June 2017
The Coppola name comes with big expectations nowadays, but Eleanor Coppola (wife of Francis Ford, mother of Sofia) offers up a sweet, simplistic and somewhat conventional film about a 50 something woman who stumbles her way into a delightful adventure.

Diane Lane plays Anne, the elegant but somewhat neglected wife of a successful producer. They are supposed to take a long-delayed vacation in Paris only for that vacation to get delayed again when her husband, Michael, has to rush to Budapest for work. Anne is initially supposed to go with him, but when a severe earache prevents her from flying Michael's producing partner Jacques steps in and offers to drive her up to Paris. What is supposed to only be a quick car ride slouches into a several day long trip as spendthrift Jacques insists on making numerous detours to sample the architectural, culinary and cultural delights.

The movie is full of clichés (I mean really, a charming Frenchman named Jacques?) but Lane and Arnaud Viard have good chemistry and it's fun playing tourist by proxy as they stroll around the countryside flirting and looking chic. The movie only stumbles towards the end when it tries to get serious.

Early on the film comments about the importance of timing the perfect soufflé so that it doesn't deflate. Unfortunately, while made up of all the perfect ingredients this film isn't time quite write. It deflates a little upon conclusion but much like a soufflé would be, it still tastes perfectly alright.
34 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Memories of our 2006 bus tour of Provence
carlsondw24 June 2017
A good story by writer and producer Eleanor Coppola was enhanced by a tour my wife and I took from Juan-les-Pins in 2006, and a really fun group with us on the bus. We spent more time on the beaches in Nice, Cannes, and San Trope. So does a similar story by Patricia Sands, "The Promise of Provence" spends more time in Cannes, with a master chef, shopping for food, tasting cheeses, and falling in love after a nasty divorce from a man like Baldwin's character. My own photos capture our memories.

I could live in Cannes. My wife would not. We would take another tour, the long way to Paris. A tour of Tuscany comes first, and this movie sets the stage.
31 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bonjour Anne would be better.
carolethecatlover12 June 2017
I am sure the French Tourist Office paid for this movie. A long homage to French food, and wine, and sensuality, real or imagined. Diane Laine, the lady who impersonates chic-lit for chick flicks, is not stretched, and Alec Baldwin, appears and disappears. Who's the French guy? He's charming and such a walking French cliché, but does not set the world on fire. Sigh, what Maurice Chevalier could have done with the role! It's a lovely road trip with no tension, and wonderful food and flowers. It will be a hit in cold Australia, and even more people will visit France, the world's most popular tourist destination, but a great story, no. Quelle domage!
39 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Worst Movies I've Ever Seen--No Kidding
leftbanker-18 September 2017
I have never called a movie "the worst I've ever seen" after writing over 200 reviews here on IMDb so this isn't an exaggeration.

This movie should be accompanied by a Frenchman Cliché bingo card. Smokes heavily, infinitely in tune with nature and food, infinitely charming and loved by one and all, lover of all beauty, superior to Americans and not afraid to point out why, sex obsessed and not afraid to hump leg of partner's wife, and wine snob. Bingo! There was zero chemistry between the protagonists who ate and drank their way across a small swath of France. Another game to play while watching this disaster would be to count how many times Diane Lane lets out a sigh (hint: over 100) every time she is overwhelmed by the beauty of all things French, or maybe it was just her wondering why anyone would cast her in a leading role? Alex Baldwin is the only thing good about this bomb but don't expect him to save the day because he only has a cameo role abandoning ship in the first ten minutes.

The whole premise of the film is ridiculous: a married woman drives to Paris from the southern coast with her husband's business partner. She is supposed to be the wife of a movie producer yet she acts like she's never had a glass of wine or has eaten in a restaurant before that didn't use plastic utensils. There wasn't a single intelligent dialogue exchange in the entire movie.

When the director isn't boring us to death by showing people eat and drink she bored us with dialogue plagiarized from Wikipedia.

"Did you know that this region is called Provence because it was a province of Rome?"

Or "Did you know that it was the Romans who started wine making in France?" "I did not know that."

Of course she didn't because she's a complete idiot.
28 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A holdover journey type film of life, reflection, arts, and thought.
blanbrn17 June 2017
"Paris Can Wait" is one of those escape type drift away movies that has one to reflect on the fine things in life like arts, culture, great food and wine, it proves that for so long that life can be carefree. Set in the south of France with Anne(Diane Lane)a middle age woman who's going thru the middle roads of life, decides to break away from her husband a tough and work a lot movie producer(Alec Baldwin). And Anne takes a road trip to Paris, with one of her husband's best friends and on the road trip it's a journey of thought and seeing of the sights for Anne. Really it's an adventure of arts, wine, and food. Also underneath it all reflection and memories and escape all are written over Anne's face, plus a possible new love and romance interest seems to begin. Overall good escape film that shows one can drift away from the present life with an adventure journey.
25 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Diane Lane stars in a 90 min. commercial on "la douce vie en France"
paul-allaer17 June 2017
"Paris Can Wait" (2016 release; 92 min.) brings the story of Anne and Jacques. As the movie opens, Anne and her husband Michael, a movie producer, are in Cannes and ready to fly to their next location, Budapest. But because Anne has an earache that would only get worse from the in-flight cabin pressure, she decides to go on directly to Paris, where she'll wait for Michael to catch up. Jacques, a business partner of Michael's, by coincidence is driving to Paris and offers her a ride. Off they go, and it's not long before Jacques makes frequent stops to sample the local "cuisine" and show local landmarks to Anne. At this point we're 10 min. into the movie but to tell you more off the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: writer-director Eleanor Coppola (wife of Francis Ford) has been in the movie industry for decades, mostly as a documentarian, and so now, Elelanor, a crispy 80 years young, makes her debut as a fiction feature-length director. Wow. Here she brings us what amounts to a road movie with a romcom undertone, plus a foodie splash for good measure. If you have seen the trailer (which had been playing prominently in recent weeks), the movie plays EXACTLY as you'd expect from the trailer. The only element of the slightest surprise/mystery is: will they or won't they (Anne and Jacques) fall for each other? But even that is almost besides the point, as we watch what amounts to a 90 min. commercial for "la douce vie en France" (the sweet life in France). There are so many restaurant scenes, involving the most delicious dishes and wines, that it feels like the theater should been serving something too. At least, that is what came in my head when Jacques ordered a bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and I thought "where is ours?". Diana Lane is delightful as Anne, radiating pretty much like she did in "Under the Tuscan Son" from over a decade ago. Alec Baldwin is perfect s the neglectful husband, and veteran French actor Arnaud Viard is fine as Jacques.

"Paris Can Wait" opened this weekend at my local art-house theater here in Cincinnati. The Saturday matinée screening was very well attended, even more so for being a matinée. I can see this film becoming a hit on the art-house theater circuit. For me personally the movie was just a little too straight-forward, and if I wanted to watch a commercial of the south of France, I could've done that for free on the French Tourist Buearu's website. But Diane Lane provides a saving grace (to a degree), so it's all good.
24 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That spark is really missing....
Lalpera2 August 2017
I expected a lot after reading the synopsis but was highly disappointed after watching the movie. There was an excellent story-line and beautiful landscapes with possibly romantic sequences but despite Diane's good performances, the movie doesn't inspire anything substantial. Main reason is the absence of that spark between the two. Diane is a lovely actress and I would always love to see her in any character which she always does well. But something was missing and she doesn't get the same enthusiasm from the opposite character to show the vibrancy of their connection. Viard is a charming actor and tries hard but he doesn't have the so called Frenchman's sexual flare! He rather looks like an average bus driver to me, not an eager, romantic and intimate kind of a person. I would have expected them to have an intimate relationship halfway through the movie but both looked like not having enough energy or that spark to get intimate.

I wouldn't say I wasted my time but expected more and got disappointed would be more accurate to put it in a nutshell.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a delicious film title promising much but delivering little
CineMuseFilms24 July 2017
There is no escaping the three pillars of movie-making: they have always been narrative, cinematography and emotion. If any pillar is weak, the movie struggles but if all three are weak the movie doesn't have a chance. With an appealing plot, a favourite actress, and a road trip across France, how could Paris Can Wait (2016) not succeed?

A story of an unhurried drive through France is full of promise. Neglected wife Anne (Diane Lane) and movie mogul husband Michael (Alec Baldwin) have been in Cannes and about to board a flight to Paris for a long-awaited holiday. At the last minute, she is advised not to fly because of an ear infection and agrees instead to be driven to Paris by her husband's French business associate Jacques (Arnaud Viard). What was expected to be a few hours drive becomes a two-day road trip, meandering into places Anne would never have seen without Jacques' knowledge of local attractions. Jacques is a gourmand who knows every good restaurant along the way and Anne allows him to show off his taste for fine food, French wines and other hidden cultural treasures. The trip is punctuated by long and luxurious meals, and frequent commentary on local history, architecture and customs. Despite Jacques' flirtations, they stay in separate rooms while Anne dutifully stays in touch by phone with her by-now anxious husband and daughter. By the time they arrive in Paris, Michael is showing his wife more attention than he has for years.

For this story to work, it needs rising romantic tension, some surprising revelations or narrative twists, or at least a sense of excitement about possibilities lying in wait. Instead it is two days of small talk punctuated by Anne's photo-taking: even when each reveals an emotional event in their lives it quickly dissolves into banal conversation without impact on their relationship or how we see them. The idea that Jacques' flirtations might succeed with Anne is deflated by his encounters with girlfriends along the way. Even the gastronomic feasts fall flat as visual treats: one plate of something delicious quickly loses its appeal when the plates just keep coming. The photographic delights of countryside France are captured inelegantly through car windows or in other uninspiring ways, and Jacques' informative tour-guide commentary has the tonal enthusiasm of someone reading from a travel brochure. The mediocre script is made worse by dialogue delivered as if Anne and Jacques were paced by a metronome, each taking turns to speak with the same pause between sentences. This lack of spontaneity carries throughout their journey except when Jacques' car breaks down and he immediately springs into picnic mode, grabbing a basket of goodies, and spreading a blanket alongside a lake in a scene that is pure Monet. That's what you do when your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, isn't it?

Given its quality ingredients this film should have worked. If the story represents a personal journey of self-awareness its revelations remain obscure. As it is based on the director's real-life experience, perhaps reality got in the way of creative filmmaking. Whatever the reason, the delicious promise embedded in the wonderful title Paris Can Wait does not even come close to fulfilment.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute
swjg4 July 2017
Eleanor Coppola's directorial debut. A cute movie about a wife with blocked ears - skipping a plane ride and being driven up through France to Paris by her husband's business associate. "Watch out dear - he's a Frenchman....". The food and museums and attractions are a backdrop to a 'will they/wont they' tale. No particular morality explored - just a couple thrown together by circumstance.

The movie is in English - but French people speak French and you don't get subtitles. Which is kinda fun - because then you know how Diane Lane's character feels when she doesn't fully comprehend what is going on and how she is about to be (or not) swept along by events. If you DO speak French then it is (....spoiler....).

There is a set up at the end for the obvious follow up movie.....
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Food, Great Countryside, So What's the Hurry?
boblipton21 May 2017
Diane Lane is married to Alec Baldwin, a successful movie producer. They have a successful marriage and a daughter in her second semester at college. They are at Cannes when word comes that a movie in Budapest needs him on the scene. When Miss Lane's ear infection makes the pilot ground her, they agree she will meet her husband in Paris; his European partner, Arnaud Viard, is driving there anyway, and will take her. So, with misgivings about leaving his wife in the hands of a single Frenchman, Baldwin is out of the movie (except for a few phone calls) and Lane & Viard are off on a road trip. Of course, Viard offers a Cook's Tour of the regions they are passing through, complete with Roman remnants and far more food than anyone can eat, the perfect wines to accompany the food, and remain as photogenic as these two.

It's a chick flick, pure and simple, meant for middle-aged and older women. The food is photogenic (Miss Lane takes photos that would grace the pages of BON APPETIT) and everyone knows Viard, including the manageress of the Lumiere Museum in Lyon. It's a movie about the glories of French Cuisine and Diane Lane, and if it remains PG-rated at all times, there is the offer of a meeting at a well-known clam bar in San Francisco and a jaunt up the Californian coast and Miss Lane staring thoughtfully into the camera after Viard has left.

The director is Eleanor Coppola, the wife of Francis Ford Coppola (it's an American Zoetrope production) and if she waited until she was 80 to make her feature film debut, it makes one wonder how autobiographical a trifle (to borrow a cooking term from another cuisine) this pleasant, minor film is.
44 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic--If it were released in 1955--would have been a hit!
pmhevia-378-5875916 September 2017
This is a feel good movie with a classic story. The characters are understandable, relatable and not overly complex. The movie is shot beautifully and it is romantic escape from reality. The dialogue is, well, classic. The two characters have incredible chemistry and it is hard not to fall in love with Jaque by the end of the film.

I could see this film being released in the 1950's and doing very well. It is a story that unfortunately, people are used to hearing and is a bit of a cliché. But that doesn't take away it's charm and it's enjoy-ability. It reminds me a bit of An Affair to Remember it a wonderful way.

I highly recommend! (Especially if you love food and wine)
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a feast, but delicious nonetheless
JohnRayPeterson15 September 2017
A quintessential romantic break movie from another of the Coppola film family. Eleanor Coppola, wife of famous director Francis Ford Coppola, mother of Sofia Coppola (actress, writer, director) and aunt of Nicolas Cage decided to take the plunge to write and direct this movie at age 80. Sure she had short film experience directing, has also written and acted, and has been in the business for a long time but this is her first feature long movie and she did well.

The movie is an unpretentious light romance, not a full romantic movie because as you will see, it's about romancing more than it is about romance. There's a difference and if you must know the nuance between the two, the former is an engaging interlude between two people and what could be if the conditions were right while the latter is when two people develop a mutual attraction that leads to the inevitable love affair and maybe more.

That being said, what is delightful about this movie is, to put it simply, the characters, Anne, played by the queen of romanic movies Diane Lane, and Jacques, played by Arnaud Viard. Then there is France, food and wine, the supporting element-characters. Alec Baldwin plays the supporting role of Michael, a busy movie producer-director, Anne's husband. Baldwin in an interview I recall said he loved playing supporting roles, short performances and prided himself in becoming a celebrity doing exactly that, not that he hasn't performed main or principal characters, he has, but these roles, supporting ones, in good movies appeared to give him the satisfaction of participating in more movies and in good ones without the pressures or responsibility that come with carrying a movie as the star or co-star does. He of course assumes his Michael role perfectly.

So, Anne is in Cannes with Michael and they are set to fly back to Paris where they are staying in a friend's apartment for their vacation, one with many interruptions, but Anne is experiencing some ear infection or something and cannot fly on the private jet waiting for them, while Michael needs to make a detour to Budapest for troubleshooting a film in production. Jacques, a long time family friend and Michael's associate, offers to drive Anne to Paris, an afternoon drive, easily, but Jacques doesn't want to take a simple two hours drive, not in France where that would be a terrible waste of time not to enjoy his country. So he takes it upon himself to give Anne a truly scenic ride and have her enjoy the bountiful life's pleasure his country has to offer between Cannes and Paris.

They take a few slight detours, the kind that mean Anne won't be in Paris that day, but rather late night the next. Their ride takes them around Nîmes and Lyon, famous regions with much to offer in way of scenic venues and culinary delights. It's those culinary offerings that Jacques excels at picking and finding, not to mention providing background information to a reluctant passenger. Anne wanted to be in Paris soon but Jacques' charming ways and the venues he introduces to Anne soon sway her to accept some delay.

We are quickly experiencing an express tour of the regions and get to wet our appetite at the best France has to offer in way of food. I happen to like food related movies and books, the kind that do not spare what senses will be excited and how this happens. Of course Jacques has an obvious crush on Anne but he shows exemplary restrain and good manners, but he is romancing her. There are a few moments when the two long time acquaintances reveal very personal and deeply emotional events about themselves; those are the kind that are almost secret, what only very close friends do. The one moment that stood out for me was when Jacques asks Anne if she is happy. In Jacques mind Anne deserves to be and he feels love is all about making sure the one you care for is; the audience is left to wonder if Michael is not too focused on work and not enough on Anne.

I noticed a detail that only quality direction and writing would bother to subtly include in all the restaurant scenes; in the fancy restaurants in France the waiters always address the man for the decision about food and wine choice, not the woman. Perhaps it's remnants of chauvinist era, but it is something I certainly experienced and why I could not help notice in this movie. I liked that authenticity. Eleanor Coppola's experience with cameras, behind them, also showed in how Anne's photographing her trip used the Cannon PowerShot of hers and Jacques' comments about the pictures she took. That was another detail you might notice.

I chose to watch this movie because Diane Lane had the principal role. I was happily impressed with the performance of her co-star Arnaud Viar, with who's filmography I was not as familiar. I admit I am a fan of Lane and probably saw most of her 63 movies; my favourites being Nights in Rodanthe, Must Love Dogs and of course Under the Tuscan Sun.

If your wife or girlfriend asks you to watch this movie with her, you won't regret saying yes; and if you ask your husband or boyfriend to watch it with you, insist, it can't hurt.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.