Arctic Dogs (2019) Poster

(2019)

This is as Generic as it gets
MonkyMangler27 November 2019
Me and 3 other friends went to go see this at a dollar theater as a joke knowing it would be bad. But to my dismay it was actually not as bad as i expected it to be. There was actually a few things to appreciate (as minimal as they were). For one the voice acting ranged from decent to really good. I really enjoyed John Cleese's performance as the main antagonist. It's like he knew how ridiculous his role as a mechanical walrus was so he chose to have as much fun with it as he could, and it really does show and it was his performance alone that saved this movie from being completely awful. But unfortunately that's the only real redeeming quality this movie has. The rest is utter garbage. I guess where i'm getting at is i didn't hate this movie in it's entirety surprisingly. It's just so laughably generic. You could make the argument that this movie was intended for children and not four 17 year olds, but even then i think the movie failed at that cause we never heard one chuckle from the audience and a 3rd of the families there walked out of it. At least me and my pals got something out of it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok, but missing some magic.
subxerogravity10 November 2019
It's good to see other compAnies doing animated movies other than Disney, but watching some of these flicks you can see why Disney is on top. The animation on this was weak. I don't know how much the movie cost, but I would assume that the animation studio may not have had the technology budget to make it flow. It felt very stiff. The music was very lackluster. You could possibly make up for weak animation with a good score but they did not have enough of one going through the movie The story had no quality to it, which may not have been that big of a problem if the characters where more interesting. This is a combination of the weak animation and the voice over cast that had some big names who seem to be phoning it in for a paycheck. I know I'm saying a lot to discourage people from seeing this. In reality it's not a bad picture...of your renting it at home for your kids to see. It has that Disney formula but they need to add more sugar.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When the cold brew hits, I'm a nomad
williamgraves-8791413 November 2019
Famed and acclaimed animated film director Jeremy Renner really knocked it out of the park with his new furry movie. The film is so good that it makes me cry. Swifty's story is relatable, and also very comical. I especially like the bird (voiced by James Franco) he made me LOL. Alec Baldwin works so well as the expertly crafted character P.B. (His name stands for polar bear because he is a polar bear) the love interest is so fascinating because she is a fox, just like the main protagonist (he is voiced by Jeremy Renner) is that the guy that plays the Falcon?and also she is hot! But watch out, because the Walrus is the bad guy of the movie (HES REALLY SCARY, DONT TAKE YOUR KIDS TO THIS) all in all arctic dogs is fun for the whole family
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disappointing snore
trinaboice4 November 2019
This is Entertainment Studio's first animated feature. Directed by Aaron Woodley, this family-friendly movie is a BIG snore. The animation isn't very good and it's hard to get very excited about package deliveries. With a protagonist who has no redeeming qualities and an extremely boring, nonsensical plot, this disappointing movie is one to skip.

The voice talents include Jeremy Renner, Heidi Klum, James Franco, John Cleese, Anjelica Huston, Alec Baldwin, and Omar Sy. Those big names must be where all the budget for this film went. There isn't much texture or detail to the animation. We have been spoiled by excellent animation from Pixar and Disney for years. What a brilliant way to save money on animation...make a white fox in the snow so you only have to draw eyes! Ha ha Most of the humor just isn't very funny. No charm. No warmth (and I don't just say that because it takes place in the Arctic.) None of the characters are particularly inspiring. I like Jeremy Renner, but sadly, his character is a douchebag for most of the film. Walrus with spider legs?

The ending is just a frantic mess. The rest of the movie is just boring and bland. The plot makes no sense. Why would they need dogs to deliver the mail when there is all kinds of technology around them, as well as a big, strong bear who could have done it. This animated universe is just bizarre with no thought put into it. There are some adorable puffins, although they looked more like tropical Toucans from the Amazon jungle. Unfortunately, they're just not funny, especially considering they're supposed to be the equivalent of the entertaining minions in Despicable Me.

This is a perfect example of a girl settling for a guy WAY below her. She's so far out of his league. What a terrible role model for your daughters. This movie feels much longer because it's so bad. You'll find yourself looking at your watch or cell phone. It also feels like a movie that should have gone straight to DVD or Netflix.

You can read the rest of my review at Movie Review Mom or watch my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and bland...skip this one.
xomlaodong4 November 2019
Overall not the best animation fornthis year. Angry Birds 2 and Abominable were much better.

This movie was boring while lacking humor. Pretty dry and bland. There's nothing to take home from as the main theme/message but just senseless boredom. I don't recommend it.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's The Point Of The Name Artic Dogs, It Should Be Called Artic Justice
itsjoelthevideo11 November 2019
The animation is slightly better than Norm Of The North but it looks like Spark A Space Tail, Swifty is a stupid character, although the character designs are decent at best, this movie is boring too, the title, there are no dogs, so why is it called Artic Dogs just call it Artic Justice this movie is as bad as Norm If The North but with only just slightly better looking animation
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much potential
rhughes11274 November 2019
The trailers for this movie looked promising, so we took our 4 1/2 year old grandson to see it. I have to say, while he laughed and enjoyed it - I was very disappointed. They depicted puffins blasting other animals off of the face of the earth and the "intelligence" bureau had a punch in the face as their secret handshake - really = not behaviors I want my grandson to model. The movie was attempting to teach a lesson ab0ut global warming, but failed - and a lesson about being tru to yourself, which only an adult could figure out, and about team work - I think next time I will put the $$$ in a college savings program and stay home and read a book with him.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lazy Effort
imjaredross4 December 2019
Arctic Dogs is a terrible animated film with subpar animation that is bright and colorful. The voice cast is Really good with great actors such as Jeremy Renner and John Cleese, but it cannot save this unfunny and completely disposable mess of a film.

It's an incredibly lazy film with nothing inventive in its animation or storytelling with very little in terms of character development and a villain who's motivations are unclear throughout the majority of the film. It's not good and it's very lazy, much like this review.
muttug3 December 2019
It's very nice movie and amazing people working together on film
Need to upgrade
debabrata-chatterjee1013 December 2019
Movie story, action music is so nice made for childrens.i love that
Stop the torture!!!
joshuamelendez-333352 December 2019
The movie Arctic Dogs was a total was of money. I'm sure it would be only amusing for a 2 year old. Why would you do this to such great celebrities? Why my Hawkeye? Why?!?!?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That Cold Brew Definitely Hit... In the Crotch (Warning: Long Review)
JerylBlazikerKoh30 November 2019
Before I go on with the review, let's make a product! Here, I have a machine which has features of an animated movie so that we can make one. Let's throw in generic snow setting, A-List voice actors, incompetent writing, low-brow humour, poor animation, an obnoxious pop soundtrack and...

('Ding!")

We got Arctic Dogs! (Or Arctic Justice as it was known in my country)

Look, the moment I saw the poster and watched the teaser trailer, I knew what was coming for me. Even with the warning signs that foretell, my friend and I decided to watch the movie anyway, just to see how bad it would get.

Spoiler alert: It was. And we both definitely not had a great time. So, let's just break that down.

Story and Writing: I'm not gonna bother wasting my time summarising what Arctic Dogs was about, so let's cut straight to the chase: it's the most incompetent, cliched, juvenile writing I've seen all year.

Coming from the writers behind Escape from Planet Earth and The Nut Job 2, I knew the writing is going to be terrible, and it was. The story was a huge pile of mess, with topics and issues tossed from side to side with no care at all, low-grade 'comedy' which only the youngest of kids would understand and at times, inappropriate toilet humour that should not belong in a kids' movie.

I know this movie was not made for me, but even in the nearly empty theatre, there was only a huge laughter towards the end. The writing was more than enough to frustrate young adults like me, but for kids not laughing at most of the jokes? That hits a new low.

Animation: Considering it's the same animation studio who animated the well-beloved Norm of the North series, you can definitely tell the animation is going to be awful.

The background animation is beyond generic and the art style, uninspired. The lip-syncing between the characters and their voices does not sync at times, but the rendering and texturing was the worst offender. Just by looking at the poster, I knew where the biggest problem would be: character rendering. It felt basic and not lively. No good.

Characters and voice-acting: So, this is where most of the $50m budget went: the A-List cast. Renner, Klum (voicing 2 characters), Baldwin, Cleese, Franco, Sy, Madsen and others. And they're not good.

The characters felt like a character cliche everyone had seen before. We got Renner as the self-interested underdog, Klum acting two characters, one as Renner's love interest and the other as Sy's conspiracy theorist partner (and she did not do well for both). Baldwin as Renner's companion (insert the 'secretary' joke from Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation), Franco being just Franco, and others.

The voice acting? It seemed no one bothered much about putting in effort to the voice-acting. The only very small positive I could give was Cleese, although it's mainly because he had voice-acting experience and he's voicing a one-dimensional villain.

Score and soundtrack: Not only did Renner did the voice-acting, he also included five of his songs into the soundtrack. FIVE. And all were unbearable. I heard his music is basically 'diet Nickelback' and hearing all of his songs, I could see why.

As for the score, I felt annoyed by it because it felt obnoxiously grand, where the story and the animation was not up to scratch in the first place! And I don't normally criticise movie scores.

Overall, when taking into account everything wrong with Arctic Dogs, you could definitely see why it was one of the biggest box office bombs of all time (only raking in about $6m on its overstated $50m budget), it did not have a critic screening (let alone a Thursday night preview) and the moviegoers labelled it as the worst animated movie of 2019.

The fact that it was in screens across Singapore instead of going straight to Netflix (which some European countries just received) was the reason why I gave it a 1/10 (I can't give a 0/10). It's one of the most irredeemable animated movies of the year, especially when it's on a budget of $50m. It's on par with its predecessor, Norm of the North, as my 2nd worst animated movie of the 2010s, if only because Where the Dead Go to Die had reserved the number 1 spot in the first place.

In conclusion, the cold brew definitely hit me. In the crotch. Avoid this while you can.

(Watched it at Shaw Theatres JCube, 29 November 2019)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best canine fox winter movie I've seen with package deliveries.
crosswalkx3 November 2019
I'm the first one to review this movie, I have seen this movie in the theater and it was really enjoyable to watch, this movie is about the fox who can blend in with the winter snow, he has a dream job of pulling a sled like the 3 big dogs, he works his whole life to get to the mail job. He goes snowboarding during his free time and manages to hide in the white snow with his white fur and clothes.

When he finally does get the mail job he finds out that sled pulling is only for the big dogs and his strict Reindeer female boss Magda, he works at his boring job pulling boxes on the conveyor belt. He later gets demoted by Magda him after he unauthorized to pull a sled to his first customer Doc Walrus who's a Walrus with robotic legs who's planning on drilling the earth to release gases to melt the snow and has an army of puffins who invade the town. The 3 husky wolf dogs gets kidnapped and locked away and later on Jade gets ambushed in her warehouse and kidnapped.

Later on Swifty takes over the job and delivers packages to everybody in his town. Later after finding out the evil plans of Doc Walrus, he enlists the help of his friends PB a polar bear, Jade a fox who's Swifty's girlfriend, Lemmy the bird, Bertha and Sal and his boss Magda to stop Doc Walrus from drilling the earth and flooding the world.

I wish this movie had more backstory with Doc Walrus on how he enlisted the Puffins to work for him. I don't know if there will be a sequel since this movie doesn't seem to be well known. I hope people will go see this movie since it was entertaining as John Cleese was in the movie who's also in The Swan Princess 1994. If you parents haven't seen this movie with your kids, please go see this movie it's really a good CGI cartoon movie to watch with your kids.
12 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
if your kids dont like puppies your waisting money and time
tvnut-186694 November 2019
Okay so i watched this as a double feature with the terminator over the weekend and this was a movie for sure kids who like dogs and snow will enjoy but its just not something they would like otherwise the movie isnt very funny or sweet or anything good yeah there are a few laughs but not enough to be cosidered as worth the price but if your kids like dogs it will be worth every penny if not wait for frozen 2 to come out
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SLAY MY LIFE
miriamshrivastava9 November 2019
Absolutely phenomenal movie. I went to see it with friends and we went through a rollercoaster of emotions. Laughter, tears, and that one man telling us to be quiet in the theatre. 10/10 would recommend. Great commentary on current events and the environmental crisis whilst also providing lighthearted humor for just the right mix. I'm absolutely speechless. Periodt.
3 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This flick started out with the title of . . .
tadpole-596-91825613 November 2019
. . . ARCTIC JUSTICE, and sported one of the grisliest climaxes in the history of children's cartoons. As originally previewed, "Otto von Walrus" is cornered after his Doomsday Drill implodes by an outraged, pitchfork-wielding Titusville mob. Perhaps the ensuing bloody carnage inflicted by this vicious vigilante rabble can be best described as ALMOST as gruesome as the fate of a lone young female boarding a public bus in one of those Asian countries, such as India. However, when social services pointed out to the ARCTIC JUSTICE producers that American kiddies were not inured to seeing their big sisters or young moms dumped off at the front door as lifeless mangled messes by the Saturday afternoon meat wagon, the U.S. version of this film was incongruously retitled ARCTIC DOGS, with the graphic portion of Otto's demise cut entirely. Though I was the only person at my showing of ARCTIC DOGS, I believe that if its studio had let well enough alone, the theater could have been at least half full with local middle school boys eager to savor ARCTIC JUSTICE!
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
batstrathmore10 November 2019
This movie is awesome hawkeye is so cool on this movie it's so god damn awesome. 10/10 I also think the sequel should have a villain named "aweenhiilol" that'd be so awesome like wow.

Awesome
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.