Lies We Tell (2017) Poster

(2017)

The very last of the summer wine
pauear23 November 2017
Just saw this in a film festival. Sadly it has the potential to be a good topical movie on cultural boundaries, integration and hypocrisy. We get arranged marriages, Sex for college fees, drug dealing, murder, sex tapes, poaching, family rows and a large dollop of last of the summer wine type scenes. It is very confusing and the editing is all over the place. Gabriel byrne's character is a bit of a mess. Characters turn up for a scene (his wife) and are never seen again. Gabriel byrne shoots some bottles of home brew and flies a kite. Dogs seem to mean something. The main female character is excellent but is let down badly by the rest of the movie. The Pakistani wedding looks like a bit of fun. The pivotal final scene is unintentionally funny and it involves taking a very very long time to drive a very very short distance. Will pass a confusing couple of hours.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Cast, Terrible Plot
BatmanFunReviews20186 February 2018
A trusted driver must deal with his dead boss' Muslim mistress, her dark past pulling him into a life-and-death showdown with her notorious gangster cousin/ex-husband. Lies we Tell has a talented Cast of Actors like Gabriel Byrne, Mark Addy and Harvey Keitel unfortunately the film's terrible script and storyline destroys it early on from the start since Keitel's role is only 3 to 4 mins long and has one scene of dialogue in a 1hr and 49mins long movie. Byrne is acting bored and unfocused and the whole romance thing doesn't seem to work either. To be honest this film was a waste of time and talent in general. (0/10)
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible waste of time
chipradoslavov5 February 2018
So many illogical scenes and boring conversation in one single movie!!! I still don't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity of this movie.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First 5 minutes was good...
anouskasherriff3 February 2018
Then the film flopped. It was boring in my opinion.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haram
franka_van_loon12 March 2018
A Pakistani family living in England. A patriarch who is holding on to the traditions of his culture, by forcing his two daughters to marry money. The oldest daughter Amber who is a lawyer, is living a secret life as a rich-man's mistress and is rebelling her patriarch dad, not to force her younger sister into a marriage, to the same man she herself got away from. Donald (Gabriel Byrne) is helping Amber. Donald has no knowledge of Amber's culture and what they call "honour" so it ends like it ends for many Pakistani girls who are dishonoured. The first hour I had no clue where this movie was heading to. 2 times I was ready to leave this movie, but glad I did not. It is confusing yes, but I think this movie pictures the distance and understanding of the brutal patriarch Pakistan culture. A culture where a brother, a father or husband kills his daughter, sister or wife, in the name of something called honour? Disgusting yes, but most murders in the west are also related to "crime passionnel" or jalousie, ex boy/girlfriends ex men or wife's. Now one thing is sure, I need to see this movie at least one more time.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tedious
aerobix2 February 2018
I wonder what that was about. An excuse to make a movie?
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Waste of Time
valockert8 October 2017
This film is predicated on a very parochial premise, which could have redeemed itself if the humanism had a more profound portrayal. I found the plot and dialogue adolescent and the film was too boring to sit through. There was an ongoing presumption that the audience would have a cultural knowledge of Pakistanis in England, which left me feeling both bewildered and annoyed. The scenes were poorly linked and so much dialogue was either unbelievable or irrelevant to the story.

My feeling is that the entire story was executed by a director with good intentions but a shallow and tired premise of the cultural problems of a woman attempting to transcend cultural boundaries. The pathos failed to draw real emotion and minimal comedy could have been explored more. This movie is a waste of time and money.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought provoking for the discerning viewer
saeedbutt-5395712 January 2018
The film goes beyond the stereotypical view of the average film goer and is no East is East but more like East meets West, with an in your face, look in the mirror type of feel for the discerning viewer.

Much of the filming takes place in the streets of Bradford, and there is some stunning shots and tense scenes which means one cannot help, but feel a degree of sympathy for the push and pull portrayed between safe conservatism and ultra modernism.

14 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
ian-6813428 March 2018
A movie with Gabriel Byrne and Harvey Keitel wow I'm watching this.

That was my thoughts but how disappointed was I, a horrible movie best avoid
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.