Better Things (TV Series 2016–2022) Poster

(2016–2022)

Those daughters
eloyas7 April 2019
Strangely, I like this show but I can't stand the daughters.
45 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastically Touching
sagapo_ellas21 January 2017
Although I have been an IMDb member for over a year, I have never felt compelled to write a review until now. Better Things is enthralling, relatable, raw. It's a paradox, as nothing really happens, but at the same time everything happens - it is not one of those series where every episode is packed with new revelations and adventures and dramas. Yet I felt myself impatient to watch the next episode, as each was filled to the brim with those little everyday events that we often dismiss as meaningless, but which have the biggest impact in shaping us as individuals, and our relationships with those around us.

I watched all 10 episodes in one sitting. I rarely do this. I never lost interest, which is rare for me. I did not initially know that Louis CK had written/directed this, as I like to approach a new series with no preconceptions or prior knowledge in order to keep an open mind. It was during the second episode that I suggested to myself that this was extremely similar to Louis CK's style. And lo and behold it was.

If you want constant action, falsified drama and fake laughter, then this is not for you. If you want everyday life presented in a raw, realistic manner, yet which reveals the profound impact of daily events between family members and friends, then this is for you. I do not have children, but I imagine that this is EXACTLY what it is like - and I often ask mothers what it is like to be a parent (research for my decision as to whether or not to have children!!). Children are a pain in the a*s; parents are exhausted; children moan, swear, fight, shout, annoy you. But those little moments make everything fall into place, as you see that children rely on their parents (or mother) for so much more than clothes, food, lifts to school, and a heated home to live in.

This does not feel like an edited, rehearsed series. It feels like I am peering through the window of the neighbour. It is real, and it will reel you in. Absolutely brilliant.
102 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
surprising
pswanson007 April 2019
I find much of Better Things quite amusing, and very realistic, but -- familiar as I am with the volatile nature of the adolescent female -- I still find some of the dialogue written for the girls to be shocking. If I'd ever said to either of my parents even half of what spews out of the character of Frankie, I'd've awakened in the hospital being fed through a tube.
46 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Those Kids!
ppowell0022 March 2019
I've just recently started to watch and am on season 2. I like the show especially Pamela A. Her bratty kids, however, are too broadly drawn and cliched. I would like to punch them. Is that what the writers were going for?
65 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another solid season
sandramoreilla22 January 2019
Pamela Adlon offers much richer characterizations for her trio of young co-stars this year, and it's hard to think of another tv series since Malcolm in the Middle that has had such an ingenious representation of the youngest-middle-oldest sibling dynamic. The writing is indelibly sharp too, as just like Louie the show is as precious as it is hilarious, and it's captured in a way that's simply beautiful on every level. In a year with no new seasons for Atlanta or Louie, FX subscribers that appreciate more subversive comedies with a knack for subtlety will find all they desire here, in Better Things.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Def try it!
mpf10113 April 2019
I totally understand why some people don't like this. But you'd be crazy not to give it a try. If this is your type of humor, Better Things is as good as it gets, and you can't know without watching a few episodes. Pamela's family couldn't be more different from ours, but my wife and I find it very relatable and delightfully funny. Sorry, this is not an insightful review but rather a heartfelt recommendation. In my Ultimate TV Top 10.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had to stop halfway through season 3
walkerkenbea3 May 2019
I was really enjoying this show, it's direction, how real it felt, and the growth of the main character; but the daughters just ruin it for me. They are so annoying and ungrateful I can't even stomach anymore. Especially the way they wrote the oldest daughter. Just get a headache watching this show now.
54 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of great things about this show. However, children unwatchable.
mccallgj7 July 2019
I love that this show is centered on a working mom in her 40s/50s. So much raw, relatable content. It doesn't glamorize the inner workings of day to day family life. But, and it's a big BUT, the oldest children are spoiled and entitled. Sure, that makes for conflict and drama. But it's becoming unwatchable the way she portrays herself as this martyr for enduring her own two older children's behavior. It's beginning to make her an unlikable character for me. It is not endearing to watch her ALLOW her children to be monsters. Aside from that, there's plenty of good stuff there.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real and raw
iuliana_vasnic27 September 2016
I really love the show because it presents the life of Sammy (a single working mom raising three kids) in a very realistic manner.

I am not parent (let alone a single parent), but after watching the show I feel very connected to them and there is nothing more refreshing than "saying it like it is" on a comedy series.

Do you know/imagine how complex it is (rewarding, funny and hard) to raise 3 girls as a single parent in Hollywood? :)

Well this show hits the nail on the head.

Sammy's sense of humour helps her deal with work situations, raising the girls with love, getting to meet guys

No b*****it kind of show
50 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this show but this season suuucks
amy31731727 April 2019
What happened? I love this show but this season is pointless and almost unwatchable. Where is Sunny? Tressa? Phil? Frankie is turning into a giant ahole. Really disappointed in the current writing Sam.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious. Raw and yet poignant. Best series on TV
anwahs138 October 2016
This show is one of the best series I've ever watched. I am a huge Louis C.K. and Pamela Aldon fan. It's extremely easy to relate to, real and laugh out loud hilarious about REAL people and the struggles of being a single parent or parent for that matter. It also does a great job of showing the struggles of being an aging actress in an industry that favours youth and beauty over talent. I'm amazed to read other reviews stating that it's not funny? Someone said it was for Feminists. Absolutely, not true. While I would call her a Feminist, she bashes those who have it coming, not necessarily only men. She praises good men and gives the bad ones an earful, so possibly it touched a nerve in some people. Make up your own mind by giving it a watch :)
47 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real Life is funnier than fiction
yossarian1009 October 2016
Great comedy is real comedy, and this is as real as it gets.

Pamela Adlon plays one of the best "Moms" I can remember. She seems tired, dragging a bit....you know....just like real moms. And she's sarcastic in a way that cracks me up. I love her.

The kids are fresh and unlike most TV kids. They're as real as kids get, too.

In episode 5, Sam's oldest daughter discovers she's wasted her opportunities and worries that her life will go nowhere. Those lines and her delivery made me cry. Sam takes her to try on business clothes and gives her a pep talk, which also made me cry.

Yeah, real comedy is real life.

Better Life might not be for everybody, though. If you're looking for dumb jokes and mindless humor, you won't care for this.

This is one of the best sitcoms I can remember seeing. Outstanding job by all!
43 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great show can hit you right in the face and you wont even know it
elgichuhi1 October 2017
FX has gone to great lengths to make sure every show they produce is not only entertaining but unique in a way that you feel you haven;t watched anything like it.Pamela Adlon really pours her soul out in this show.She plays a fictionalised version of herself.A struggling actress and a single mom trying to raise 3 kids on her own. It might sound like a simple premise but its executed to near perfection.It got smart comedy,great writing,great acting and really subtle portrayal of emotion.Give this one a try and I promise you won't regret it
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating
jaciejbird3 March 2019
Funny, real and inspiring. I have loved Pam since Californication. The story is original. I love that men are not saving these women. They are facing the world on their own not waiting for a man to help them. They deal with real world problems in a non forgiving world of social media, changing family structure and the role of women in society is changing. Cannot wait to see where life takes these women.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show. "Better Things" is just that!
annedonnelly16 November 2016
Have always loved Pamela and absolutely Love, Love, Love, Better Things!! She is one of the more underrated actresses and I don't think it was until Lucky Louie and Louie that we really got to see her shine. She is one of my favorites and I know there is no way you can't love her. She is truly original and this show is perfect exactly as it is, raw, real, and relatable times ten. The daughters seem true and believable and seem to have a natural love/hate relationship with their mom as we all did at their ages. The writing is smart and the acting seems unrehearsed giving the show an edge of unpredictability that is endearing. I am hoping enough people give the show a chance to keep it on the air. You go girls! Anne
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun fact
anneavnby17 March 2020
In episode 1 og season 4 the mother is wearing a hoodie in the kitchen while she's cooking. It says "Bevar Christiania" on the front. That's danish for "Save Christiania". Christiania is a so called "free town" in Denmark's capital Copenhagen. Thumbs up to the writers/producers!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just beautiful
fccs2352119 April 2019
Perfect. So, so funny and heartbreaking, so intelligent and profound, so simple. One of my all-time best TV shows.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pamela Adlon ROCKS
Danckersen3 April 2020
One of the best shows I've ever seen. Thank you Pamela Adlon for sharing such beautiful, heartfelt stories. Real characters, flaws and all. I'm watching The Wedding episode set in New Orleans. Can't help but sob. So vulnerable. Thanks QUEEN!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 4
trailerfreak27 April 2020
What happened? This season made me want to abandon ship.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it! it just feels like real life with no sugarcoating
yohibadash11 April 2020
This show is pretty brilliant in my opinion. it just has a sense of "real", like im not watching a TV series but rather real life situations that the main character has to deal with and she feels like an actual person rather than just a character on TV. i love how there is no sense of time or continuation in most episodes. its just random day to day stuff. although i am not a mother or not in my 50s i can SOOOO relate to things she is going through and some of the things are so similar to my life it makes me love this show even more . i hope itll continue to run on TV :)
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show
Evanoil16 October 2016
I was looking forward for seeing this show for a long time and it didn't disappoint me. Again im looking at the score on the site and cant understand how this show couldn't get a higher one. Ofcoure a lot of people don't trust the score and watch whatever they want before making any mind about it but still it can be a little confusing when it comes to the score on site. This one is a good show put together by brilliant comedians to tell a story about a family from a funny point of view and it works perfectly fine if you ask me , yes there still a little drama here and there but if you look at the big picture , this show lacks the mistakes that are done by so many comedy shows out there , no clichés , no stupid jokes , just life from a funny perspective.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't understand why I watch?
mv17166118 April 2020
Every week I watch this show I don't understand in what world the characters live in. The kids are obnoxious and Pamela looks like a greasy haired mess. It seems like the people in this show are over educated and fairly financially well off so they need to invent problems in their life. I do like some of the humor. The show makes me feel like I actually do have my act together!
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Gave It A Try...Moving On...
buffymcghie28 July 2018
This is a mom who lets her kids disrespect her and walk all over her. I'm pretty open with my teenage daughter, and would never allow her to treat me like this mom allows.

I watched the first season (while doing a paperwork project), and it never got better.

I'm halfway through the second episode of the second season, and I'm done.

There's a million better series out there, and none of them are this bad.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not comedy
esmad3-216-47522424 September 2017
I watched the first season and i enjoyed most of it. I haven't enjoyed the first two episodes of season 2. Pretentious and melodramatic is how I would describe them. There was always a tendency but it seems they have decided to do away with the comedy completely. There's's no story arc either so what I feel we're left with is a kind of "slice of life" drama that I don't really enjoy all that much.
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No sugar coating here.
dilocorinne29 September 2020
This show checks all the boxes. It's real. It's honest. Does not sugar coat a thing. Let's moments happen so you end up feeling them instead of always telling you them. That's genius writing.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.