The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) Poster

Amazing
nomercy199924 August 2019
As the father of a son with Down Syndrome I had high hopes and expectations for this movie. I watched all the interviews and reviews and was super excited to watch this. My wife and I went to watch it this morning, first showing and first people to purchase tickets from our local movie theatre. The movie starts and we were in awe of Zak and Tyler. They're chemistry was electric. You could tell Shia truly loved being beside and being with Gotteagen. This movie made my heart happy more than anything. I understand the movie had to tackle the dreaded "R" word and it hurt hearing the word tossed out by a child at the beginning but Zaks response was legendary and I will never forget it! It did a great job of shedding light on people with Down Syndrome and the struggles SOME go through. Unfortunately there are still people out there who don't know the joy of having a person with Down Syndrome can truly bring into they're lives. All in all an amazing movie that makes perfect sense. I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone who has any heart. Hopefully this will become a series cause I would personally love to follow this story for as long as it can go on.
74 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends are the family you choose!
laradee-6911824 August 2019
Wow this movie has all the feels! There is heart and soul in this movie. The openness and awareness they are a bringing to the the Down syndrome community. They captured the charm of the south, while showing the even more unique charm of parts of Dare County, NC. This movie wasn't written by some big time directors, it was 2 guys with a vision to give an aspiring actor with Down syndrome a chance, and that is exactly what Zak got! The is a must see of all ages, yes in the young ones can see this one! Tyler Neilson and Mike Schwartz really have something special. Must see!
22 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect since I have ASD I know what its like to be different!
UniqueParticle27 August 2019
Beyond heartwarming and funny; I absolutely loved everything about this movie! I'm thrilled that Shia Labouf is acting again, he was off the radar for awhile. Dakota Johnson is precious and Zack Gottsagen - I have only one complaint is the word retard even for someone like me with autism hurts my feelings. I smiled so much during the entire film, highly recommend to anyone!!
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a marvel
connordiaz13 March 2019
I'm not going to go too deep into this, but I just want everyone reading to know that you absolutely should see this. The acting is amazing, the cinematography is stellar, editing and dialogue is quippy, and you fall in love with the characters. Although a bit unbelievable, it's so funny and absolutely charming. Shia, Dakota, and Zack are all amazing, and this is the feel-good movie of the year. I have honestly no real gripes with this, and it's so refreshing to see this wonderful tale of friendship put to screen.
63 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful sweet film
federicomcestelli31 August 2019
Amazing sweet soothing film, it feels you with joy and happiness. I truly wish more films like this are made. It has that captain fantastic natural and organic vibe Again wonderful and well made film, go see it with your family or alone whatever you want but don't miss out this opportunity to feel satisfied.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet film!
We finally got The Peanut Butter Falcon playing in my town so naturally I was first in line to see it. After hearing all the hype from this film it's safe to say I was ecstatic to see it. After the film ended I had a great time, but I felt it was a bit overhyped.

First of all the pros of this film, Shia LeBeouff and Dakota Johnson give a great performance with a fun story that kept a smile on my face throughout the film. I also felt the film looked fantastic. The cinematography was gritty, real and did a great job of capturing the swampy area of the North Carolina Outer Banks.

As for cons I felt that there were some scenes that didn't really work for me. They seemed a little pretentious or out of left field. And I don't know if I really buy the ending of the film. It seemed a little far fetched for my tastes.

However, I love this film. Looking at it from a critics standpoint it has some issues, but looking at it from a movie viewer it's a great time! I plan to watch this again as soon as it comes out. If this film is playing in your town go check it out!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" friends are the family you choose"
theothernadineonearth23 June 2019
This headline about sums up the heart of this film. I saw this twice when it premiered at sxsw, and I have to say I was really tired when I arrived in the theater; but this film had the power to raise me out of my seat as well as the rest of the audience to two standing ovations! It made me laugh, and brought tears of joy to my eyes. It is brilliantly written; then the actors bring these words to life. People ask what it is about, but I don't think it really matters because it's not an action film per se; but in my opinion a lot more happens to see the growth of these characters from lost souls to finding their inner strength and beauty through the love of others. There are so many brilliant moments of human connection and undeniable humor in this film, you completely forget you're in a theater ! When I saw that this film was going to finally be distributed in theaters, I felt compelled to write a review. Do yourself a favor, and go see this! You will not be disappointed, and you might even leave the theater happier than when you came.
36 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must See
bullrivercruises15 March 2019
This is a film that is what filmmaking is all about. Great story, great actors, great directors, great writers, great camera work.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was blown away
dinospino1715 August 2019
I'm just gonna lay it all out right now. I absolutely loved this movie. From start to finish I was smiling, laughing, crying, and as the credits rolled, I looked over at my friend who was with me, and all we could just say was "wow." I can't even begin to put in to words just how much I loved it. The Peanut Butter Falcon revolves around a young boy named Zak, who has down syndrome, and how he follows his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. Along the way he meets Tyler, and together they form an unbreakable bond with one another, and go on the journey of a lifetime together. The writing is all around, really good, and as of now, this is my main contender for best screenplay at the Oscars next year. But what blew me away most about the film is the performances. I honestly had to remind myself at one point that these two men are actors, because their performances just feel so real. Shia Labeouf gives without a doubt the best performance of his career here, and it will for sure garner him a comeback in Hollywood. But the standout was definitely newcomer Zack Gottsagen. Being one of the few actors out there who actually has down syndrome, he plays his part flawlessly. And yes, I know some of you will say that he has a bit of an advantage, but trust me when I say that he is gonna go so far with his career after this. I really hope he gets the recognition he deserves. My only real issue is that there is a subplot in the film that I really didn't feel was necessary. It didn't really add anything, and it's only purpose was to give the story some sort of villain, which it really didn't need in the first place. But all in all, this is an amazing movie. There really hasn't been anything like it, and it deserves to be seen by everyone. It is funny, it is heartwarming, it is so purely and genuinely human, and it is one of my favorite movies of 2019. I give The Peanut Butter Falcon a 9.5/10
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go See It !
gkarf235 September 2019
Amazing , endearing , heartwarming story. All leads are great. Will try to see it again at theaters , if nothing else , auto buy when it comes out .
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly enjoyed!
swt_buffy15 August 2019
I was able to go see a free screening of this movie this week and I didn't have huge expectations. I like Shia, but I wasn't sure how strong the movie itself would be. Let me tell you I was blown out of the water. This heartfelt movie made me laugh so much and my heart happy. The two main actors were amazing and played their roles really well. I will definitely be buying this to watch again. A must see for 2019!
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SXSW opinion
brianjaroszewski25 March 2019
One of my favorite films from SXSW 2019, this is an inspiring film with a strong cast pulling you into the story. Take a moment, see the show, and enjoy their journey to unexpected friendship.
28 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The underdog in all of us!!
accview5420 August 2019
Overall Movie was good- acting was great, dragged a little, towards the middle. Is this the movie of the year, or academy material, no- is it an original storyline, not really. BUT sure beats all the superhero stuff we've been stuck with lately! If you enjoy going to the movies then go see it! Will it rock your world if you don't, not really.......
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
hkboxx17 August 2019
When I first saw this trailer I was blown away. I was also worried it wouldn't fully meet its potential. Amazing feel good movie and one of my favorites of the year.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly Endearing
gigitville6 September 2019
I didn't have many expectations for this movie, the trailer mainly just made it seem like something original, which is always a plus nowadays. But this movie was heartwarming, funny, and certainly original. The chemistry between Shia LeBeouf, Dakota Johnson, and Zack Gottsagen felt very genuine and natural, not to mention likable.

The first half of the film was mainly a road movie with Shia LeBeouf and Zack Gottsagen's characters, and it was enjoyable and funny as all get out. There were some moments of character development and flashbacks that were very tastefully done that utilized subtlety to show Shia LeBeouf character's background. And Zack Gottsagen's character felt very natural and likeable, with layers to his performance and connection with wrestling that showed a lot of characterization.

Not to mention, the cinematography and music was very captivating and gave the film some subtle and charming personality. The only real issue I had with it was that the pacing lagged a bit about ¾ of the way through. But it quickly found its way again and became pretty unpredictable as to where the story was going. Overall, this movie was so enjoyable, heartwarming and it was a great character movie and road movie that truly felt like a breath of fresh air.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A soul cleansing experience!
roger-99-1715995 September 2019
While running away together, but for different reasons and directions, two abandoned young men are invited by a blind preacher to hear the Gospel and take a deep dive into the river. Processing an unlikely friendship, of mutual support and reliance, as well as interests and goals to find freedom, they are called to reconnect with the Creator in order to shape and strengthen themselves. The hot-headed, rebellious fisherman Tyler (Shia Labeouf) refuses the improvised baptism, convincing his runaway-partner Zak (Zack Gottsagen), a young man with Down Syndrome, to go into the river, despite his inability to swim or even to understand the ritual. After the spiritual encounter, those inspirational words continue to fill their hearts with hope, as they surrender entirely to the Almighty. It is deeply represented as they leave the preacher's territory, while reflecting on themselves; while in movement, on the road, the rays of sun shine upon them, as they touch each other's face, as a response with such grace and joy for being made accordingly to His own image. This moving spiritual experience (one that will definitely bring tears) gives them motivation to pursuit their goals: Tyler must avoid a pair of thugs (including Oscar nominee John Hawkes) with whom he had a crab-merchandise dispute, as he leaves the state in search of opportunities; Zak had always dreamt of becoming a wrestler, and plans to get trained at a school managed by an iconic wrestler (Thomas Haden Church). Their lives are suddenly connected, as they find familiar comfort to relief their disappointment and abandonment: Tyler is haunted by the tragic death of his brother, and Zak was left alone at the clinic-home, rejected by his family. Conceived by writers-directors Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz, in their outstanding feature debut collaboration, this heartbreaking, humorous, crowd-pleasing fugitive story is certainly one of the most accomplished indie films of the year. The "Thelma & Louise" structure works efficiently, as a road movie on the highways, on the river, or by foot, the pair is running from their realities and dangers in order to find themselves. The music, editing and stupendous cinematography, capture the hopelessness and despair of its characters (including a fine performance by Dakota Johnson as the social worker responsible to rescue Zak), and the idyllic, mysterious, remote and serene landscapes of the wilderness, creating an absorbing, poetical and insightful atmosphere.

Shia Labeouf is incredibly convincing and mature, completely different from his "Transformers" phase, and newcomer Zack Gottsagen is a revelation, confirming his confidence and resistance to battle the obstacles of his condition. Winner of the Audience Award at SXSW, and named Best Film at both Heartland and Nantucket Film Festivals, it's a fresh, pleasant, humble and powerful cleansing soul experience.
An enjoyable film!
peeedeee-9428128 August 2019
I must admit, I had some reservations about how they would portray Zack, if the movie would feel forced or patronizing. But overall, I think it was well done. The acting by Shia and Zack was very good, they had very good chemistry. There were some scenes that were a bit rough around the edges, the actors flubbing their lines or accidentally talking over each other. And some elements were a bit unrealistic, like how quickly Dakota Johnson's character finds them (which could have easily been explained if the blind man had directed her); and of course the final big scene was 'over the top'. The scenery and cinematography was great. Overall a pretty good effort for the first time film makers. I look forward to seeing future work by them.
sail away
cdcrb14 August 2019
Zack gottsagen, a young man with down syndrome, escapes from a retirement home (long story) and joins shia lebeouf on a boat trip. ok, it's a feel good flick. that doesn't mean you shouldn't see it. the two leads are terrific. and shia has finally found his niche. dakota johnson and thomas haden church add some fun.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tale a true human bonding.
tmptdfate-6676113 August 2019
Had the opportunity to attend a special screening of a truly exceptional independent film this evening. "The Peanut Butter Falcon", from the producers of "Little Miss Sunshine", this funny & fun & heartwarming story is a gem from start to finish. It's been some time since I found a story so endearing. It's about a young man with Down's Syndrome & his quest to meet his professional wrestler hero. Along the way he meets a roughneck-on-the-run (played EXCEPTIONALLY well by Shia Labeouf) who reluctantly finds redemption through his not-quite-welcome traveling companion. Still not in wide release but, with THREE previous Oscar nominees (John Hawkes, Thomas Haden Church, Bruce Dern), I have a strong suspicion this tale of sincere human bonding will gain momentum in the current era of comic book superheroes & find its way to a theater near you soon...and well worth a drive, if not.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highlight of Seattle International Film Festival
jimandkent17 August 2019
Feel good movie that was a late add to the Seattle International Film Festival. Excellent casting. Great to see Shia LaBeouf in a movie of this genre.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'll keep it short.
ivanaaaaaaaaa14 August 2019
Today is 8/13 and this was movie #195 that I've seen this year. (Some - probably less than 10% of those - I've seen more than once.)

This is the best movie I've seen this year. I'm not kidding, it's amazing.

Don't worry, it's not one of those sappy, emotionally draining movies, nor is it a corny comedy. It's an adventure that feels very real and genuine, and it can't help but make you fall in love with the characters and belly laugh throughout.

Go see it! :)
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Uplifting Peanut Butter Falcon
thetyvonlesure6 September 2019
Peanut Butter Falcon shines as one of the most heart-warming films of 2019. The portrayal of People with Intellectual Disabilities are typically done by Actors who do not have Intellectual Disabilities. Peanut Butter Falcon is the exception. The film stars Zack Gottsagen in a ground-breaking role in which he portrays a 22 year old boy with Down syndrome. Gottsagen has Down syndrome, himself. Gottsagen shines bright in the role of Zack, carrying the film as the lead. The film costars Shia LaBeouf as Tyler. LaBeouf compliments Gottsagen with his superb acting, strengthening the emotion of this film. LaBeouf continues to show why he's a great actor, despite previous blockbuster flubs.

Peanut Butter Falcon is an emotional rollercoaster that reiterates the significance of caring for others no matter where they come from. The story is well written, and accurately portrays the plight that many with Intellectual Disabilities face. The bond shared between Zack and Tyler is authentic. The adventure Zack takes to become the Peanut Butter Falcon is well-written, with brief, sometimes unnoticeable moments of cheesiness. Despite the cheesiness, this is an inspirational story that will undoubtedly bring tears of joy and sorrow to eyes.

The cinematography is good, with some minor flubs in technicality. The soundtrack is bad, and the music dilutes some of the emotional moments within the film. Outside of the exchanges between Tyler and Zack and the key moments of the film, the dialogue is below average. Dakota Johnson holds the film back with her poor acting. The characters are well developed and relatable, with some areas of corniness/fantasy.

Overall, Peanut Butter Falcon is a good, emotional film with an inspirational story that many could learn from and relate to. Zack Gottsagen is a Star in the making. The film is flawed and has areas that could use improvement, but overall it is an uplifting matinee.
I don't know
forthetollferry2 September 2019
I don't know, I'm always wanting to trust the reviews, but it was so slow and hard to believe at times. But good acting by Zack Gottsagen!
Short but Sweet
eilraie1 September 2019
Do not overthink, go watch this film when you are in a good mood.
Heartwarming
jrmullican11 August 2019
Such an amazing film; I laughed, I cried, there's such a truth to it. I have a brother with Down Syndrome, and the way Zack portrays his character on screen, I very much see my brother in him: the immense capacity for love, fighting the every day struggles- things that others will never even dream about, the drive to complete the goals he sets for himself, the amazing sense of humor, and the way he can bring people of all walks together without even trying. I highly recommend this film, 10/10!
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.