The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) Poster

Amazing
nomercy199924 August 2019
As the father of a son with Down Syndrome I had high hopes and expectations for this movie. I watched all the interviews and reviews and was super excited to watch this. My wife and I went to watch it this morning, first showing and first people to purchase tickets from our local movie theatre. The movie starts and we were in awe of Zak and Tyler. They're chemistry was electric. You could tell Shia truly loved being beside and being with Gotteagen. This movie made my heart happy more than anything. I understand the movie had to tackle the dreaded "R" word and it hurt hearing the word tossed out by a child at the beginning but Zaks response was legendary and I will never forget it! It did a great job of shedding light on people with Down Syndrome and the struggles SOME go through. Unfortunately there are still people out there who don't know the joy of having a person with Down Syndrome can truly bring into they're lives. All in all an amazing movie that makes perfect sense. I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone who has any heart. Hopefully this will become a series cause I would personally love to follow this story for as long as it can go on.
609 out of 656 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm a jerk and this movie made me cry
aheevid11 November 2019
Must watch. Shia is In full form for this one. Very touching story
140 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friends are the family you choose!
laradee-6911824 August 2019
Wow this movie has all the feels! There is heart and soul in this movie. The openness and awareness they are a bringing to the the Down syndrome community. They captured the charm of the south, while showing the even more unique charm of parts of Dare County, NC. This movie wasn't written by some big time directors, it was 2 guys with a vision to give an aspiring actor with Down syndrome a chance, and that is exactly what Zak got! The is a must see of all ages, yes in the young ones can see this one! Tyler Neilson and Mike Schwartz really have something special. Must see!
185 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly Endearing
gigitville6 September 2019
I didn't have many expectations for this movie, the trailer mainly just made it seem like something original, which is always a plus nowadays. But this movie was heartwarming, funny, and certainly original. The chemistry between Shia LeBeouf, Dakota Johnson, and Zack Gottsagen felt very genuine and natural, not to mention likable.

The first half of the film was mainly a road movie with Shia LeBeouf and Zack Gottsagen's characters, and it was enjoyable and funny as all get out. There were some moments of character development and flashbacks that were very tastefully done that utilized subtlety to show Shia LeBeouf character's background. And Zack Gottsagen's character felt very natural and likeable, with layers to his performance and connection with wrestling that showed a lot of characterization.

Not to mention, the cinematography and music was very captivating and gave the film some subtle and charming personality. The only real issue I had with it was that the pacing lagged a bit about ¾ of the way through. But it quickly found its way again and became pretty unpredictable as to where the story was going. Overall, this movie was so enjoyable, heartwarming and it was a great character movie and road movie that truly felt like a breath of fresh air.
104 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect since I have ASD I know what its like to be different!
UniqueParticle27 August 2019
Beyond heartwarming and funny; I absolutely loved everything about this movie! I'm thrilled that Shia Labouf is acting again, he was off the radar for awhile. Dakota Johnson is precious and Zack Gottsagen - I have only one complaint is the word retard even for someone like me with autism hurts my feelings. I smiled so much during the entire film, highly recommend to anyone!!
131 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a marvel
connordiaz13 March 2019
I'm not going to go too deep into this, but I just want everyone reading to know that you absolutely should see this. The acting is amazing, the cinematography is stellar, editing and dialogue is quippy, and you fall in love with the characters. Although a bit unbelievable, it's so funny and absolutely charming. Shia, Dakota, and Zack are all amazing, and this is the feel-good movie of the year. I have honestly no real gripes with this, and it's so refreshing to see this wonderful tale of friendship put to screen.
135 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Heartwarming Film We Need
sweidman-280167 September 2019
The Peanut Butter Falcon Review:

The Peanut Butter Falcon follows Zak, a Down's syndrome patient living in an assisted living home, as he runs away from his care home to make his dream of becoming a wrestler come true. Along the way he meets Tyler, a man on the run after committing a crime, and the two make an unbreakable bond as they spend days together learning about each other. I had heard only good things about this film since it aired at various film festivals. I tried not to have the plot revealed too much to me which I think benefits sometimes. I was very surprised to see how many people went to see this film at 10 in the morning. That was giving me high hopes. Also the almost perfect critic and audience score told me something as well. What a heart warming film. We haven't had a film like this in a while that has a great message and is made to make us happy. The plot, though it can be pretty unrealistic at times, makes for a fun adventure. Zack Gottsagen as Zak is definitely the standout here. What a great performance. He has so much to work with to embody his character. He provides most of the comedy and there's no way to hate him. Shia LeBeof has finally had a great performance and I personally think the best of his career. I understood where he was coming from and how he perceives himself. One of the questions asked in the film is who's the bad guy and who's the good guy. He knows the bad things he has done and doesn't know which is heartbreaking almost. Yet he continues on with life an eventually meets Zak. Their bond was so strong where I stopped seeing Shia and Zack and saw their characters. You can tell a film is good performance wise when you forget who is playing who. I'm was just so happy when they were together and the serious scenes too. Dakota Johnson plays a worker from the assisted living home who is trying to find Zak. She did very well and probably one of her best performances as well. I want too invested in her character but she provided some good topics to talk about. One of my favorite scenes was with her and Shia and he's explaining to her that she's treating him differently since Zak has Down's Syndrome and she should just treat him like any normal person and not like he's a child. This film is very good at provides good insight and a beautiful way. I realized this film was special when the woman sitting next to me started crying at a feel-good moment that was a little emotional. Great films should affect you in some sort of way, typically it happens through emotion. It does get emotional at times. It was needed and knew when to keep on a scene longer or when to switch. There was one exception with the climax of the film. A big event happened and about two minutes later it ended. I would've liked just a little more since it ended abruptly. That was my only major flaw. Technically this is a beautifully shot film with amazing shots from above of the scenery, especially along the beaches and water. The score was good and peaceful. The technical stuff set the tone right for me. I'd definitely recommend seeing The Peanut Butter Falcon. I really hope it's in consideration for awards this upcoming season. If you live around the central Wisconsin area it'll be playing at the Stevens Point theater and I believe still at the Cedar Creek cinema in Wausau (that's where I saw it).

My Grade: A-
71 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet film!
We finally got The Peanut Butter Falcon playing in my town so naturally I was first in line to see it. After hearing all the hype from this film it's safe to say I was ecstatic to see it. After the film ended I had a great time, but I felt it was a bit overhyped.

First of all the pros of this film, Shia LeBeouff and Dakota Johnson give a great performance with a fun story that kept a smile on my face throughout the film. I also felt the film looked fantastic. The cinematography was gritty, real and did a great job of capturing the swampy area of the North Carolina Outer Banks.

As for cons I felt that there were some scenes that didn't really work for me. They seemed a little pretentious or out of left field. And I don't know if I really buy the ending of the film. It seemed a little far fetched for my tastes.

However, I love this film. Looking at it from a critics standpoint it has some issues, but looking at it from a movie viewer it's a great time! I plan to watch this again as soon as it comes out. If this film is playing in your town go check it out!
82 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Let Anything Stop You...
Xstal21 April 2020
...or get in your way if you want it hard enough; no matter who or what you are - just go for it, you'll achieve nothing if you don't. Inspirational and heartfelt stuff to be found here in spades, and while those words get overused on far too many occasions they are more than appropriate in describing the courageous and endearing Zak Gottsagen who brings a spark of magic to proceedings. A true role model to all and one to be looked up to and admired in his own right.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was blown away
dinospino1715 August 2019
I'm just gonna lay it all out right now. I absolutely loved this movie. From start to finish I was smiling, laughing, crying, and as the credits rolled, I looked over at my friend who was with me, and all we could just say was "wow." I can't even begin to put in to words just how much I loved it. The Peanut Butter Falcon revolves around a young boy named Zak, who has down syndrome, and how he follows his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. Along the way he meets Tyler, and together they form an unbreakable bond with one another, and go on the journey of a lifetime together. The writing is all around, really good, and as of now, this is my main contender for best screenplay at the Oscars next year. But what blew me away most about the film is the performances. I honestly had to remind myself at one point that these two men are actors, because their performances just feel so real. Shia Labeouf gives without a doubt the best performance of his career here, and it will for sure garner him a comeback in Hollywood. But the standout was definitely newcomer Zack Gottsagen. Being one of the few actors out there who actually has down syndrome, he plays his part flawlessly. And yes, I know some of you will say that he has a bit of an advantage, but trust me when I say that he is gonna go so far with his career after this. I really hope he gets the recognition he deserves. My only real issue is that there is a subplot in the film that I really didn't feel was necessary. It didn't really add anything, and it's only purpose was to give the story some sort of villain, which it really didn't need in the first place. But all in all, this is an amazing movie. There really hasn't been anything like it, and it deserves to be seen by everyone. It is funny, it is heartwarming, it is so purely and genuinely human, and it is one of my favorite movies of 2019. I give The Peanut Butter Falcon a 9.5/10
68 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A soul cleansing experience!
roger-99-1715995 September 2019
While running away together, but for different reasons and directions, two abandoned young men are invited by a blind preacher to hear the Gospel and take a deep dive into the river. Processing an unlikely friendship, of mutual support and reliance, as well as interests and goals to find freedom, they are called to reconnect with the Creator in order to shape and strengthen themselves. The hot-headed, rebellious fisherman Tyler (Shia Labeouf) refuses the improvised baptism, convincing his runaway-partner Zak (Zack Gottsagen), a young man with Down Syndrome, to go into the river, despite his inability to swim or even to understand the ritual. After the spiritual encounter, those inspirational words continue to fill their hearts with hope, as they surrender entirely to the Almighty. It is deeply represented as they leave the preacher's territory, while reflecting on themselves; while in movement, on the road, the rays of sun shine upon them, as they touch each other's face, as a response with such grace and joy for being made accordingly to His own image. This moving spiritual experience (one that will definitely bring tears) gives them motivation to pursuit their goals: Tyler must avoid a pair of thugs (including Oscar nominee John Hawkes) with whom he had a crab-merchandise dispute, as he leaves the state in search of opportunities; Zak had always dreamt of becoming a wrestler, and plans to get trained at a school managed by an iconic wrestler (Thomas Haden Church). Their lives are suddenly connected, as they find familiar comfort to relief their disappointment and abandonment: Tyler is haunted by the tragic death of his brother, and Zak was left alone at the clinic-home, rejected by his family. Conceived by writers-directors Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz, in their outstanding feature debut collaboration, this heartbreaking, humorous, crowd-pleasing fugitive story is certainly one of the most accomplished indie films of the year. The "Thelma & Louise" structure works efficiently, as a road movie on the highways, on the river, or by foot, the pair is running from their realities and dangers in order to find themselves. The music, editing and stupendous cinematography, capture the hopelessness and despair of its characters (including a fine performance by Dakota Johnson as the social worker responsible to rescue Zak), and the idyllic, mysterious, remote and serene landscapes of the wilderness, creating an absorbing, poetical and insightful atmosphere.

Shia Labeouf is incredibly convincing and mature, completely different from his "Transformers" phase, and newcomer Zack Gottsagen is a revelation, confirming his confidence and resistance to battle the obstacles of his condition. Winner of the Audience Award at SXSW, and named Best Film at both Heartland and Nantucket Film Festivals, it's a fresh, pleasant, humble and powerful cleansing soul experience.
47 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than all the stupid Oscar screeners
hpcmakeup14 January 2020
We watched Bombshell, OUTIH, Jojo Rabbit, etc...and this movie was 💯 times more enjoyable. We watched it with our 2 kids (15 and 5 ) and they loved it. It's sweet and funny with so many quirky great characters.
34 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will put a smile on your face
chkhyati26 December 2019
It's a really sweet film, digs deep into the meaning of friendship. Shia's acting is amazing. The movie depicts strength and vulnerability at the same time perfectly balanced with emotions. It is pure sweetness and hope with no unnecessary love stories. Loved it!
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful sweet film
federicomcestelli31 August 2019
Amazing sweet soothing film, it feels you with joy and happiness. I truly wish more films like this are made. It has that captain fantastic natural and organic vibe Again wonderful and well made film, go see it with your family or alone whatever you want but don't miss out this opportunity to feel satisfied.
36 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" friends are the family you choose"
theothernadineonearth23 June 2019
This headline about sums up the heart of this film. I saw this twice when it premiered at sxsw, and I have to say I was really tired when I arrived in the theater; but this film had the power to raise me out of my seat as well as the rest of the audience to two standing ovations! It made me laugh, and brought tears of joy to my eyes. It is brilliantly written; then the actors bring these words to life. People ask what it is about, but I don't think it really matters because it's not an action film per se; but in my opinion a lot more happens to see the growth of these characters from lost souls to finding their inner strength and beauty through the love of others. There are so many brilliant moments of human connection and undeniable humor in this film, you completely forget you're in a theater ! When I saw that this film was going to finally be distributed in theaters, I felt compelled to write a review. Do yourself a favor, and go see this! You will not be disappointed, and you might even leave the theater happier than when you came.
59 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure and authentic
austin073128 September 2019
The Peanut Butter Falcon is a movie about a young man with down syndrome, Zak who runs away to try to achieve his dreams of becoming a wrestler. I really enjoyed this film for what it represented, it is the few times like this where cinema can provide not only an entertaining experience but an experience that goes well beyond that where the beauty of this artform lies. The Peanut Butter Falcon is a story about belief, family and the pureness of hearts.

I think the movie wonderfully casted Shia Labeouf and Dakota Johnson, both actors have faced their fair share of controversy. Dakota Johnson, known mostly from her involvement in the infamous fifty Shades of Grey franchise gets to show her reserved side and gives a sophisticated performance that washes away all the negative reputation from her previous film roles. Shia Labeouf on the other hand has a much greater lesson learned from his involvement here. Starting off as a child actor and getting fame from being in the Transformers franchise, it has been a while since he has been in a major film role; becoming an internet meme certainly has not supported that downwards spiral in his career. It seemed like for a moment there Labeouf's career in Hollywood is at the end of the line, but this movie, seeing his character's transformation just by being with the incredible presence of Zak brings a newfound authenticity to his performance. There is something raw and transformative in his role here that almost goes beyond the fictional on screen character but almost seems to show his real life turn.

The film centers around wrestling and as a wrestling fan I would like to share my perspective on the matter. Wrestling has had its days in the early 90s but since then it has been seen as overly choreographed, gimmicked or even childish. After the so-called 'kayfabe' has gone wrestling fans are constantly being challenged with 'don't you know that it is fake?'That age old question that we all love, I think The Peanut Butter Falcon handles this very well, in discussing the theme of authenticity, dreams and beliefs. Incorporating Zak's childlike nature and imagination into the notion that in wrestling, its truly about conveying belief. Wrestling is not about fooling the fans into believing in something that is not true, but to pull out the real and authentic emotions by a delicately choreographed performance between two performers. Which is why oftentimes the best matches and storylines are those that incorporate the real lives and events of the wrestler.

The Peanut Butter Falcon smartly deals with this, and presents it in a way that is so pure and heartfelt, overall it was a very enjoyable and feel good type movie. So, unless you hate having that warm fuzzy feeling that gives you that uncontrollable grin, this movie is for you.
25 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must See
bullrivercruises15 March 2019
This is a film that is what filmmaking is all about. Great story, great actors, great directors, great writers, great camera work.
61 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The underdog in all of us!!
accview5420 August 2019
Overall Movie was good- acting was great, dragged a little, towards the middle. Is this the movie of the year, or academy material, no- is it an original storyline, not really. BUT sure beats all the superhero stuff we've been stuck with lately! If you enjoy going to the movies then go see it! Will it rock your world if you don't, not really.......
28 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SXSW opinion
brianjaroszewski25 March 2019
One of my favorite films from SXSW 2019, this is an inspiring film with a strong cast pulling you into the story. Take a moment, see the show, and enjoy their journey to unexpected friendship.
43 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
hkboxx17 August 2019
When I first saw this trailer I was blown away. I was also worried it wouldn't fully meet its potential. Amazing feel good movie and one of my favorites of the year.
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shia is a great actor
ahmdpodcast6 December 2019
And we can see him carrying this movie above his head, Atomically, so to speak. I had problems with the pacing of this film as it came to an abrupt stop without fully exploring the characters and their narratives. Especially Elanore, who seems to stick out like a sore thumb on screen as a miscast and a character that could have been handled differently. Overall the scenery and "Georgia" makes it a worthy watch and Mr PBF wasn't too bad as well. Good for one watch but that's pretty much about it. Goodluck Shia, you're awesome!
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming
jrmullican11 August 2019
Such an amazing film; I laughed, I cried, there's such a truth to it. I have a brother with Down Syndrome, and the way Zack portrays his character on screen, I very much see my brother in him: the immense capacity for love, fighting the every day struggles- things that others will never even dream about, the drive to complete the goals he sets for himself, the amazing sense of humor, and the way he can bring people of all walks together without even trying. I highly recommend this film, 10/10!
20 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highlight of Seattle International Film Festival
jimandkent17 August 2019
Feel good movie that was a late add to the Seattle International Film Festival. Excellent casting. Great to see Shia LaBeouf in a movie of this genre.
sail away
cdcrb14 August 2019
Zack gottsagen, a young man with down syndrome, escapes from a retirement home (long story) and joins shia lebeouf on a boat trip. ok, it's a feel good flick. that doesn't mean you shouldn't see it. the two leads are terrific. and shia has finally found his niche. dakota johnson and thomas haden church add some fun.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tale a true human bonding.
tmptdfate-6676113 August 2019
Had the opportunity to attend a special screening of a truly exceptional independent film this evening. "The Peanut Butter Falcon", from the producers of "Little Miss Sunshine", this funny & fun & heartwarming story is a gem from start to finish. It's been some time since I found a story so endearing. It's about a young man with Down's Syndrome & his quest to meet his professional wrestler hero. Along the way he meets a roughneck-on-the-run (played EXCEPTIONALLY well by Shia Labeouf) who reluctantly finds redemption through his not-quite-welcome traveling companion. Still not in wide release but, with THREE previous Oscar nominees (John Hawkes, Thomas Haden Church, Bruce Dern), I have a strong suspicion this tale of sincere human bonding will gain momentum in the current era of comic book superheroes & find its way to a theater near you soon...and well worth a drive, if not.