Echo Boomers (2020) Poster

(2020)

A very mild, pg13 heist film which tried very hard to be flashy. Nonetheless, it is entertaining n moves at a decent pace.
Fella_shibby14 November 2020
While this is not a pulse pounding thriller n Michael Shannon's role aint that big either, it is pretty entertaining n moves at a decent pace. It is very mild compared to most heist films, ther is no action or devious plans. All the robberies r a piece of cake. I am generous with a 7 cos i found it engrossing. I saw this for two reasons, Michael Shannon and the genre heist. They shud have shown the explanation of the cousin's behavior towards the end, was it really planned or not?
36 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful movie
tiffanyliu-6686122 November 2020
Awful millienial movie, poor acting, direction and execution. Dont believe the high ratings they are all part of the production
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Echo Boomers.
lakes-4906816 November 2020
I Totally agree with Khasding...What a Waste of Actors etc, Stupid Storyline, & ONLY,if you ENJOY seeing beautiful items of a persons belongings being utterly destroyed,watch this,OTHERWISE please avoid it,like the Plague !!!!
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ironically, a subpar movie for millennials
carlos-pires15 November 2020
It's ironic that a movie that somewhat tries to champion the notion that western (and US in particular) society in the 2010's was cruel to millennials actually falls short on its own merits... which is something that happens to many millennials, in spite of their feelings of entitlement. The thing is... You can be rejected because you just can't cut it, not because you are a millennial or whatever. This was probably the most self-centred generation in modern western history.

Plus, this movie tries to have it both ways, as it tries to portray an objective view by using the "journalist writing a book" gimmick (which takes you away from the subjective view of each character and hence leads you to interpret this view as more "objective), but at the same time it slants the narrative towards a supposedly "social-justice" attitude from some of the protagonists. Well, this is all BS. The protagonists are not some modern day Robin Hoods. They are actually entitled spoiled brats and/or lazy wimps who just want their kicks and their money. Maybe this is yet another sign of the decadence of western civilization.

Surely, this is a nice production with a decent cast overall (with maybe the exception of Schwarzenegger Jr., though, because acting isn't his strongest suit), and competent execution all around. But this surely isn't a valuable contribution to cinema nor to culture as whole. And you won't be missing much if you skip it.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
94 minutes seemed like 940
dlmiley30 December 2020
Poorly written and haphazardly directed dreck. Patrick Schwarzenegger and Michael Shannon are passable but the other actors are awful. Slowly paced and boring, its 94 minutes seemed like 940. Avoid.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
But why?
xNecRosex26 December 2020
Well, idk how they managed to get Michael Shannon on this one but dear lord this was borderline insulting...my intelligence I mean.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't a fan of this film at all and I'm a millenial.
Brooklynsmagicmike23 December 2020
This film was supposed to appeal to our masses. Lucky I think very different from others in my generation.

The movie as whole portrays a group of young adults who are struggling in society/financially and decide to rob houses to get by. The movie at first seems interesting but after awhile it gets kind of slow and boring. The cast (which has plenty of good actors) is left squandered in this with cheesy dialogue. The film also feels low budget and visuals weren't anything great.

Overall Just wasn't fan of this B-movie, the only type of people this appeases to is teenagers to young adults who find movies like this "rad". Most older adults won't enjoy this at all.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cant get past the sniveling
khasding-6329314 November 2020
I tried, but all I hear is wah wah wah. the one percenters have everything and because my schooling wasn't free and I didn't get a guaranteed job I deserve to go steal things. the absurdity of this was almost too much to bear so I couldn't finish watching the movie otherwise it was mildly entertaining. Also the fact that magazine reporter was seem to be hanging on his every word was a very much of a buzzkill these little creeps are what prisons were made for entitled little baby boomers
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure unadulterated trash
RomeoQQ14 December 2020
I don't know why Michael Shannon agreed to be in this movie. He should fire his agent. This movie falls shorts on everything, the story, the plot, its own merits, the forced and very juvenile dialogue.

I recommend forgetting this movie and moving on. This isn't even good as a "for fun" movie to watch, or a random movie to watch during the weekends. It's pure unadulterated trash.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Bad Movie
karlos-kastanheira16 November 2020
When i read this: Best movie I've seen all year!!!.... probably this user just watch one movie this year lol Bad movie, and sorry to Michael Shannon !
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok BUT, PEOPLE MISUNDERSTAND INEQUALITY.
stevedudesp26 November 2020
Inequality in Humans, is sadly necessary.🤔 Equality of opportunity is difficult to achieve, but it is (in my belief) a worthy goal. Equality of outcome is impossible to achieve without reducing everyone to the level of the least successful person. Equality of misery is all that will be achieved in this manner. Inequality is a necessary part of life. Why is inequality important? While the thought of inequality may cause us some emotional discomfort, it is true. How would you make a professional athlete and a couch potato equal in sports? You can only try to pull the athlete down to the level of the weakest person. This is the basis of the Kurt Vonnegut short story "Harrison Bergeron". Even the cursory synopsis on the Wikipedia page can make you revile the idea of forcing everyone down to the same level, just to make them all equal. The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. - Aristotle Taken from online article, but when looked at with Common sense, sadly it's absolutely true. This movie just shows the true behaviour of those that don't have, feeling entitled to take or distroy the property of those that have. Don't misunderstand here, I'm someone that Doesn't have, but I can apply common sense and decency.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Drivel!
Signet7 January 2021
An unbearable, lengthy pastiche of whining by despicable young adults who feel cheated because adulthood has not arrived gold-plated and wrapped in pretty silk bows. By halfway through, I got tired of the carping and complaints , not to mention the greed and disloyalty on all fronts. and began speeding through scenes that showed people engaged in conversation. Bluntly, I was uninterested in anything these fictional characters had to say.

This film was demoralizing and depressing. Even their crimes were too nasty to be enjoyed. Skip it.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rancid twaddle.
namstonk6 January 2021
Awful direction, silly dialogue but the acting is world class laughable. Some fake ratings, hence score.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's all about who you know
nogodnomasters28 November 2020
Based on a true story. Lance (Patrick Schwarzenegger) who can not get a job out of college travels to Chicago to work for his cousin Jack (Gilles Geary). Jack leads a group of disillusioned Echo Boomers on a crime spree. They break and enter the homes of rich people and steal the art and valuables that they fence to Mel (Michael Shannon). We know they get caught because they are telling the story from behind bars.

People smashing stuff and claiming it is political is the heart of the tale. Lance borrowed $60K to get his degree in art and not engineering. He wonders why he can't get a job and pay back the loan. Duh! Lance gives us a list of 9 commandments of life. Here are my 2. 1) If you have a good thing going, be quiet about it because someone will mess it up for you. 2) Don't get caught. And one I got from a movie, 3 people can keep a secret if 2 are dead.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad.
rdoubleoc25 December 2020
Not a bad movie. This is a great example of a movie where having a veteran actor who everyone knows makes a big difference -- I wouldn't have watched or even liked this is Michael Shannon wasn't in it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull heist movie with nothing to show for.
cruise0124 December 2020
2 out of 5 stars.

Echo Boomers tries to be a heist thriller. About a young college grad who has difficulty trying to get a job. Instead joins his group of friends who break into high class peoples home to steal there valuables and vandalized the property.

Plot tries to focus on the generation group of people. Which they feel like they are cheated in our society. So they try to get back at it by robbing peoples stuff. Dumb plot. The direction is predictable. The performances are tedious. And the film is quite forgettable.
Beyond Offensive
hampersnow-2890522 December 2020
For years Hollywood has been churning out garbage trying to convince movie goers to feel sorry for various miscreants but Echo Boomers seems to have reached a new low. Here we have the Hollywood elite casting real life privileged and wealthy (but decent actor) Patrick Schwarzenegger as a poor guy with $60,000 in student loan debt, who can't find a job, because you know it's rich people's fault, and so he's lured into a life of crime and destruction by a cousin. Along the way he and his cohorts do drugs , party and think they're part of some political statement, not just thieves but rebels. All of this is glamourized and completely unrealistic. As there is barely a plot, there is a lot of narration. The actors try , but there is no character development, no chemistry between the actors, and each one is just some one-dimensional cliché. Honestly, was it a joke to cast Patrick in the role ? He has the most screen time, and he's good at portraying what emotion there is to his character, but not much is written into him or any of them. Michael Shannon is getting to the point where he'll appear in anything, and his character is as one dimensional as the others, but I guess his name brings a certain prestige to a movie that deserves none. Unless you want to be slapped in the face repeatedly by more Hollywood nonsense, attempting to steal your cash while telling you they are on your side, avoid this like Covid.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slick action movie for today's basement dwellers.
MongoLloyd15 November 2020
Not an entirely original premise, but very nice cinematography.

Storywise, an attempt at bringing a farcical present day socioeconomic dilemma to light and cast a band of 20-something crybabies as modern day heroes because a decade or two of hard work in order to realize the American dream is just too hard. They go all "The Destructors" on the homes of random one percenters as revenge for their own dismal lots in life and relieve them of their high priced art.

If you can get past the asinine argument that young people in America today are victimized by the greatest economy and system of government in the world, you might enjoy this as a simple heist movie with an oddly morally upright, dog-faced diversity hire as the female romantic element.
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entitled millenials
amyfleck16 December 2020
The movie is about a bunch of kids of this generation that think just because they went to college they should be handed good paying jobs out the gate. The true story of entitlement actually falls ironically to the main lead, Patrick Schwarzenegger, who wouldnt even be in the movie if it wasnt for his uber famous father. Boy was he terrible. Patrick, perhaps you should take some of daddys money and invest in a college degree. Or just sit on the couch and play video games like the rest of your generation.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of Echo Boomers
burlesonjesse517 December 2020
"I didn't see anything". I did earlier today when I felt giddy and decided to hit the almighty Redbox. I saw Echo Boomers. It's a dated robbery flick directed by a rookie and it's overt style that sometimes begets substance. 2010's The Town while more epic in scope, did this stuff better ten years earlier.

Anyway, "Echo" is my latest write-up. Using fast cutting flashbacks and title cards in cursive, "Echo" was released in November while being filmed almost two years ago (January 2019). Echo Boomers' helmer (Seth Savoy) commits to every shot as if his life depended on it. Channeling Joe Carnahan and a little D. J. Caruso, he fashions a vehicle that is briskly edited, hyperkinetic, snide, and unintentionally hollow.

Echo Boomers takes place in Chicago yet you can tell it was sometimes filmed elsewhere (some Second City exteriors, Salt Lake City, and neighboring Los Angeles). I live in Chi-town and yup, that always seems to annoy the heck out of me.

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger's son Patrick (who might even be a better actor than his father), featuring Michael Shannon as the always reliable co-star, and running a fast-paced ninety-four minutes, "Echo" contains mostly unlikable characters who you don't feel much sympathy for. Even Patrick Schwarzenegger's persona as the antihero protagonist, has unclear reservations by the time "Echo" concludes.

Echo Boomers is based on a true story (I'm thinking it's the bare bones of a true story). It's about some arrogant millennials who break in, amass mass destruction, and steal from the wealthiest families in The Windy City. They do this because they can't get jobs and feel cheated by their place in the US economy. That's funny, boo-hoo-ish, and forced. I know plenty of adults between the ages of 22 and 38 and they seem to be doing just fine. Pure bullocks perhaps? You decide.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and beautifully shot
andrewdylansavoy14 November 2020
A fun, fasted-paced thriller with a dynamic cast. It was beautifully shot, and Gilles Geary - reminiscent of a young Leo - really stood out, even beside Shannon, Pettyfer and Schwarzenegger.
8 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A True Story
Draysan-Jennings16 December 2020
I wasn't able to find any trace of events that supposedly happened in this film. Whoever wrote this based it off aspects from several different heists. He basically slapped them all together and called it a true story. What a sham. With the exception of the ending that doesn't mean the movie was 100% terrible. It had it's moments here and there, but that ending was just plain stupid. The Schwarzenegger kid falls in love with the leader of the Echo Boomers girlfriend. She overdoses one night and he's the only one who sticks around to make sure she's ok. Now Arnold Schwarzenegger's son is all butt hurt because none of the other crew members go with her to the hospital. Which basically didn't really matter because at this point she didn't give a 💩 about the group. Fast forward to the end. The group finally decides to do their big hit. They go into a huge mansion, pistol whip the owner and rob his safe worth millions in cash. While two of the thieves are still in the vault, Schwarzenegger locks them both inside. They obviously get caught and without hesitation spill the beans on the whole operation. Now Schwarzenegger is a wanted man & his face is all over the news. And to top it off, the girl of his dreams wants nothing to do with him. That's not even the worst part of the story. While on the run Schwarzenegger's cousin waits till he falls asleep and takes off with the money. LMAO. So stupid. He could of gotten away clean, split the money four different ways and disappeared. If this is a true story whoever the real guy is was a total moron. There was literally no moral to this story. Out of all the people to get away, it was the shadiest people in the film. This movie is not something I'd watch again but would recommend just for the humility..5 stars from me C- grade
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea, bad presentation
raimonds-linde22 November 2020
I liked the movie, but acting, presentation, scene was bad-ish
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Echoboomers Rocks!
asavoy917614 November 2020
A captivating movie starring Michael Shannon and Patrick Schwarzenegger twists and turns throughout, with a great performance by Gilles Geary. A must see!
5 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A snappy, modern take on the classic heist film
eadirk14 November 2020
Echo Boomers is a fast-paced, action-packed film that kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. The heist-oriented plot is peppered with pithy humor, cool effects, and solid acting performances. Pure entertainment.
5 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.