Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty - Concept Short (2018) Poster

Can't wait for more
oak-6503216 March 2018
My wife and I attended the premier event and loved it. It was too short!!! I want a 3 movie, Lord of the Rings extended edition style release (ie. 3-4 hours each), one a year for 3 years. :) This is such an epic story that deserves to be told on the big screen.
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring us the Trilogy!!!
kevinrobbins-5603816 March 2018
WOW, just wow! I knew you guys could do it, but that was better than I hoped for. Thank you for putting your heart and soul into this project, and thank you for the opportunity to be one of the first of millions to take part on this journey with you by attending the premiere last night. My brother and I were deeply moved by all the emotion and power behind that opening scene and all the production BTS as well. The actors, and their testimonials of faith, prayer, lineage... are all blessings from God and I honestly could feel something special in that theater tonight. Not something that happens a lot at the movies. I'm excited for whats next for you all, I can already see the trilogy unfolding. This film deserves the recognition from Hollywood, and this story needs to be told in this medium!
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captures the Spirit of Freedom!
kbateman-6143716 March 2018
I've been able see this project develop from its kickstarter phase with the promise of capturing a worldwide spirit of freedom in a war-epic similar to Braveheart. Braveheart had a profound impact on me as a boy and has stayed with me as I've become a man. The principle that when you know what you're willing die for you also know what you're willing to live for has been a powerful truth that I've been seeking for throughout my life. I believe it is a truth we are all seeking for. A belief in something greater than ourselves. A life of purpose. I had great reservations in a project claiming to capture that same spirit of freedom and purpose I experienced in Braveheart. Especially with a story from a book I've grown up with and am very familiar with. Now having seen this concept short film and having slept on it. I feel that same spirit of freedom has been captured again. Something special has been created here. I hope that anyone who watches this will look past the technical imperfections and pay attention to the emotion and spirit of freedom. We need more stories about men and women who are willing die for what they believe in to inspire us to discover what we're willing to live for. "Every man dies, not every man really lives." -Randall Wallace, Braveheart
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Powerful Concept Short Film
mcdapper16 March 2018
This concept short film exceeded my expectations and had me on the edge of my seat. A great story told well can become a great film. The desperate struggle for freedom chronicled in The Book of Mormon is a compelling and riveting story to bring to the silver screen. Astounding work Darin! Onward!

The acting and quality of the cast and special effects were very well done. The cinematography was excellent and the setting and costumes were perfect. The film score emotionally connects the viewers to the story and greatly enhances the experience. The overall presentation was enthralling especially for the short amount of time that was available to create and produce it. It felt like I was watching a major motion picture. I can easily see this project progressing toward completion and I believe it will happen.

The power of faith and prayer are real and they bring forth miracles. Ben Cross mentioned the influence of prayer in his decision to accept his role in the behind the scenes cut. This project has miracles woven into it and many people believe in it.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have waited for something like this for over 20 years
jeremydjenkins16 March 2018
As a young 19 year old serving in Mexico I had a dream/vision of a movie based on the war chapters of the Book of Mormon and I saw clearly an image of a jungle scene with the subtitle "Zarahemla, 72 B.C."

I wondered when someone would actually create that movie. I can't wait to see what you do with a full length feature.

My teenagers didn't realize this was only a short concept film and when the credits started rolling they were SO disappointed as they wanted to see the whole thing! We are praying that everything goes super smoothly so that this can become a reality sooner than later.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phenomenal! Can't wait for the full Trilogy!
deedub-9903716 March 2018
Intense, beautiful, instantly captivating! Excellent film work, music, costumes and acting. Really good characters in each role. Ben Cross is one scary dude! We loved it and can't wait for the full length movie....all three of them!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AZAZING
hickssl16 March 2018
My son and I were so enthralled with this short, and my only negative comment is that I wish it could have been the full length feature film. This movie touched me deeply and emotionally. Because I was familiar with the story, seeing it come to life on the big screen for all the world to see, brought tears streaming down my face. I'm so thankful that Darin Southam had the foresight to make this movie and bring Captain Moroni's story to the world. What a great movie this is going to be! I The short was gripping from the first moment to the last, and definitely worth seeing twice.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Inspiring and Powerful Must See Film!!
moserbrendon16 March 2018
There is power in this film that no other movie I have seen could create. In just 14 minutes the film was able to capture raw emotion that left me speechless, and wanting more. The soundtrack is amazing! There's a strong connection between the audio and the visual which helps create strong emotions throughout the film. Along with the soundtrack is the incredible acting. The actors were very well connected and each one was able to portray their character in a unique way that made it seem very realistic. This was a low budget production, but it reflects the work of a high budget film. You would never imagine that this was produced in such a short amount of time funded by supporters on kickstarter, yet that's exactly what happened. There is so much potential for this film and I only dream and pray that it becomes a full length feature film in the near future. On a more personal note, I usually don't get emotional in movies, but this proved to be different than any other movie I've seen. Most of the film was intense, but there was one line towards the end that was just one word. As the actor was yelling that word the emotion and strength was so immense it made me emotional. The theater went silent and you could tell that everyone in the room had felt the same power that I did. I applaud the director and everyone involved in this project, may the spirit of Freedom spread like wildfire across the world!!!! Ho Fe!!!!!
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All I Wanted Was to Feel Something
bcarkell20 March 2018
I had read reviews from others who had seen this short film and they all loved it - but I rarely enjoy movies for reasons others do. I don't go for the cinematography, or for the brilliant acting and editing - I rarely notice those things. (Unless it is very bad acting) All I want from a movie is to feel something powerful - which very often is a hard thing to achieve.

With that said, I felt something from the opening shot of this film. The music, the action, the story line, it was all truly captivating to me as a person who has always wanted to see what it was really like to be there in Book of Mormon times.

All I wanted was to feel something - and I felt it!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful and captivating
ammoncarter16 March 2018
I'm so glad to see great actors like Ben Cross, Karina Lombard and Eugene Brave Rock on board with this project, their acting left nothing more to want. Writer and director Darin Southam who also stars in the film has created a work of art. The music by Kyle Warr was incredible. The hero's of ancient America have always inspired me. The reign of judges instead of a king who can oppress. Freedom from those who seek to destroy and most of all, a promised land giving hope and strength to a nation who will follow the Christ. I felt this inspiration while watching this concept film. I've been nervous about anyone making a film about these events because they need to be told right in a film or not at all. I watched this last night and was moved. Realizing these complex stories cannot be told in a short concept, I certainly got a taste of what I've been looking for. I cannot wait to see the features.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful concept! Make a full length feature!
simonbrewer-7174216 March 2018
This was a great concept with a riveting story, fantastic acting, wonderful camera work, and a beautiful soundtrack. The set location was great, and the costumes, makeup, and stunt work were spot on. I really had goosebumps during many of the scenes. It lays the groundwork for what will be an amazing story of one man's struggle to unite his people under a banner of freedom and face a murderous population intent on enslaving all those who oppose them. This movie started in an area, and time, I did not expect, but fully realized the intent and perfect placement of the characters as a setup to properly tell the story. Well done team, you made me a believer in this movie!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!!!
dglusko-222-84657022 March 2018
Ben Cross' performance was spine-tingling powerful as the wicked King, sure hope that if he's needed for the full production that he will agree to come back! Moroni's emotional cry of "Jehovah!" grabbed me by the throat! Everyone's performance was topnotch! It fell so authentic. Can't wait!
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Story-telling At Its Finest!
mmadsenahs17 March 2018
Moroni who saw the end and Moroni who saw the redemption. They are enacted compellingly in an ancient American setting. The tendrils of prophesy, the cycle of moral agency and deep human feeling are masterfully entwined in a very real sense of the personal experience of the Book of Mormon history. The characters have depth and are well-defined. The presentation is polished and engaging with fine attention to detail that is accurate to the time period, respectful of the cultural background and imaginative. The scenery, the cinematography and the musical score all work to transport us to a time, place and experience that is sacred, that is profound and deeply emotional. Darin Southam's movie short, Reign of the Judges: the Title of Liberty is an exceptional experience for believer and for those who want to know a great story presented in a great movie.
High Quality Concept Short
ricardoshade16 March 2018
High quality short film! Even within its short duration, this film was able to showcase the essence of the war chapters found in The Book of Mormon and the role Captain Moroni had in a way never before seen in other movies with their respective heroes and stories. It combines both a feel of gritty survival and a new visual perspective on the concept of ancient war depicted in the book, and the concept of religious freedom. Off to a great star. I give it a big thumbs up and my full support!
Soooo amazing!!!
ashellforkel16 March 2018
We were above and beyond pleased with this concept short!!! It left us breathless and totally excited for the feature film to be made!! The feeling behind it and the heart that went into it moved us deeply. We are behind this project 1000% and Darrin Southam has proven he has what it takes to bring this epic story to life for everyone! Can't speak highly enough about it - can't wait for what's next!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They've Done It!!
kfarns19 April 2018
I was skeptical! You're probably reading this because you're skeptical as well! Don't Be!! I'm here to say emphatically that THEY DID IT!! The look of the film is incredible! The score is incredible and my goodness, Ben Cross! Just thinking about his performance gives me chills. Then there's Karina Lombard and Eugene Brave Rock. They're performances were so powerful without having to say anything! These are amazing, Non-LDS actors who caught the vision of what Darin is trying to accomplish. After listening to him speak tonight I can promise you that he is 100% fully invested in making this movie with the highest standards possible. This IS happening! Let's all get behind this great effort! Spread the word!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After Battle Royale, Film Short Suggests More Is In Store
hackerj-3369817 April 2018
In just ten minutes, the film hurls the viewer headlong into an epic saga from a scarcely examined time and place where a population has cleaved itself into warring factions. This centuries-long conflict stemmed from an ancient intra-family rivalry that makes the Hundred Years' War look like a schoolyard squabble. The short film touches the zeitgeist as it raises issues of freedom and centuries-old injustices. And at a time when spirituality has become passé and talk of God has become impolite in civil society, the full feature seems poised to elevate divine conviction against the backdrop of a battle royale. If the full feature can sustain the intrigue, maintain the lofty grandeur, and build on the human connection that this short concept began, there may be no limit to the heights the full feature (or trilogy) might attain. Kyle Warr has augmented the film's storytelling as he sets off to make his own mark in theatrical music composition.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Concept Short film I've been waiting this!
underatuscanysky16 March 2018
I know the power of the Book of Mormon and so excited that Darin has brought it to the Big Screen. More and More people will understand seeing this movie the importance of it. The actors that he chose for this movie are amazing. I love the costumes and the music score wow! They just might get an Academy Award. Darin Thank you for bringing this to life on the big screen. I know it will be very successful and as a member I thank you!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The "Mustard Seed" of something wonderful
collinsdollies18 March 2018
Performances and story are extremely compelling. Ben Cross's King Aaron is definitely not someone to be trifled with. As a 14-minute appetizer, this concept film leaves you with an overwhelming desire for the entrée. Kyle Warr's music is truly inspired, capturing the emotions of the moment and moving one to tears. Darin Southam has knocked this project out of the park!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly Suprised.
israelturley16 March 2018
I was expecting a low budget kinda cheesy film. It surpassed my expectations by a long shot. Well done Darren.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looking forward to the full-length version
nadiamerrill17 March 2018
We were so excited when we heard about this concept film and the goals of the filmmakers, we eagerly contributed to the Kickstarter project. The finished concept short only disappoints in that it leaves you wanting to see the whole movie.

The short starts in 420 AD with Captain Moroni's namesake and the final writer of the Book of Mormon, Moroni (Darin Southam), a great Nephite warrior, taking his final stand against King Aaron (Ben Cross) and his warriors, lead by Eugene Brave Rock and Karina Lombard. They are hunting and killing all Nephites who will not deny Christ, and Moroni will not deny his Savior.

The final moments of the short take you back to 73 BC to see Captain Moroni raising the Title of Liberty before his cheering forces. It's a stirring scene and leaves you hoping that the filmmakers will make the full-length feature soon so you can see it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moving
jacobrexguardado17 March 2018
This short concept film shows how passion-filled a film adaptation of the war passages of The Book of Mormon can be. At the climax of the short film, I was completely moved. It gave me the chills. The desire for a full featured film is there.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A worldwide phenomenon in the making!
jessiepinkstone5 July 2018
The impeccable music score combined with stunning sweeping visuals moves you emotionally from the first moments of the film. As the scene begins you are immediately struck by suspense and excitement as you cling to the edge of your seat. Impressive costume and makeup completely immerses you into their world. Even with little dialogue, the superb acting conveys so much emotion, and what dialogue there is is delivered with gripping intensity. The quality of this film rivals any major motion block buster. A Reign Of Judges trilogy will be the next Lord Of The Rings.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let someone else be Moroni
cannonjj18 May 2018
Here's the deal. I went to the show with low expectations. I thought the first 13 minutes were sub-par. BUT, I do think that the quality reflected the meager budget constraints and the minimal prep time. In other words, I wasn't thrilled.

When the film concluded, I sat there with my arms crossed, wondering why I was so disappointed. I got some pretty dirty looks from the people around me because I was not nearly as enthused.

Here are my gripes: 1. The soundtrack needs to match the epic potential of the film. What I heard, was third rate, at best. But his reflects the budgetary constraints. I expect much better when the full length film begins production. 2. Mr. Southam is brilliant. But he needs to spend more time behind the camera. It feels like he can't handle a leading role and direct a film of this magnitude simultaneously. LET SOMEONE ELSE BE CAPTAIN MORONI! 3. The dialogue and the story line were choppy and a bit difficult to follow. And I've read the Book of Mormon. Again, I attribute that to timing and budget. 4. Overall, the opening sequence felt rushed. I expect some major touch ups and edits to the completed version.

I will add that the final 30 seconds of the concept presentation were what gave me hope for the completed version. Most of the concept film made me feel like this project is off to a rough start. However, I did get chills watching Captain Moroni raise the Title of Liberty to the legions below. THAT was what I paid to see! Give us more of that and I will gladly throw the remains of my sad little paycheck at a full priced ticket!
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic!!! More!!! More!!! More!!!
jclement-123582 July 2018
I attended the last US Premier of this epic short film. I was pleasantly surprised with the high caliber of acting, costumes and cinematography of this concept film. I have dreamed of a movie like this coming to life on the big screen since 1969. I'm so happy I've at least lived long enough to see this short. Praying I can live long enough to see the completion of this Trilogy. Well Done Cast & Crew!!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.