Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions (2016) Poster

Terrible. Who makes a Yugioh movie without the voice actor?
deathwing70212 February 2017
I give this movie a 1 because well, the writing is terrible compared to the original series. Secondly, the movie teases you all 2 hours long that Atem (Yami Yugi) will return, but you never hear him speak. There's only still shots that show him but he never speaks and it's a cheap way to cash in on die-hard fans. Secondly, all the characters are one dimensional and serve no purpose. Kibas action in the movie at the end makes no sense at all. I hope my review doesn't spoil anything but if you are going to watch a Yugioh movie, it's only fair that you know you won't get to hear the main voice actor that made the series the success that it was.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hooray!
skylerisaac28 January 2017
A triumphant, big-screen return for Yugi and friends.

This film is fun and exciting for those of us who grew up with the original anime, but new viewers won't be disappointed, either.

The duels themselves are very fun and exciting, and the wonderfully composed music strengthens them even further.

My only complaint is that the film felt a bit too long. For example, there were a couple of scenes that really didn't add anything to the film which could've easily been cut out.

Wonderful animation, a surprisingly good story and the usual rhetoric about the power of friendship make this one a winner. Even if you think you've outgrown this franchise, I still suggest seeing this one. I left the theater feeling energized and joyful.

Recommended.

12 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a great movie but with a mysterious cliffhanger at the end
danielwebster-3927430 October 2018
It helps answer somewhat happens between the end of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful Movie Dub!
lugiaboy4 February 2017
Without a doubt my favorite thing about this Movie is it brought all the previous voice actors back together to what I consider a wonderful conclusion to the Original Yugioh Franchise. Was it absolutely astonishing? No, not by a mile. But I must admit this movie had a ton of fan-service that always makes me happy to see. Of course this movie isn't for everyone but that doesn't mean it's a fun experience. It's actually much more mature than I actually expected which in my ideal that is pretty nice, especially for long time fans. It's very nicely animated as well, and always a treat is that I think they did a immensely wonderful performance with all the Characters. Sure some fall apart but I think Dan Green did a wonderful job as Yugi Moto again. Of course all speculating of how I think they did a great job, I would say the only flop of this film is it's more directed to the fans, though that doesn't mean you can't get into it. It's plentiful with wonderful characters, unique backstories, and amazing performances. This is defiantly a watch for anybody interested!
5 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome continuation from the original series
smetin16 March 2017
This film was one I had been wanting to see for a while. After being somewhat unimpressed with the newer editions of Yu-Gi-Oh!, I was concerned that this movie would not meet up to the expectations of its fans. Boy was I wrong! This film retained the magic of the original series (despite Atem's absence for most of it).

The storyline was novel and engaging. I also enjoyed the new gameplay elements that the dimension summoning added. It was really great to see the original gang back together again, with (who I assume to be) the original voice actors. The new characters were fun and had an interesting back story that only added to the lore of the original series.

Another great change was the animation. It was modernised and looked very crisp compared to the original series. In some places it looked odd, but that is because I don't really like the animation that tries to make something 2D look 3D (it was mainly for the monsters when they were summoned). It also made watching it feel a bit disjointed since there were different types of animation being utilised.

The film came to an excellent climax and did not disappoint. I just wish it was 15 minutes longer so we could see what happens after Atem gives Kaiba that grin!!
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One wrong card; one wrong move.
michaelRokeefe20 May 2017
Satoshi Kuwabara co-writes and directs this original anime. The stakes could not be any higher as the rivalry between Yugi Moto and Seto Kaiba reaches the boiling point. The risks never so great; one wrong move, one wrong card...or one card short. The right monsters at the wrong time. The battle is for two key pieces of the Millennium Puzzle.

You don't need Yu-Gi-Oh cards or even be a follower to enjoy the fantastic cinematography. Lack of Yu-Gi-Oh knowledge will not keep you from enjoying this film. The game is not over until it is over! Card playing prowess reigns supreme.

Character voices supplied by: Dan Green, Kenjiro Tsuda, Eric Stuart, Daniel Edwards, Kana Hanazawa, Laurie Hymes, Kazunari Kojima and Kento Hayashi.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glorious Return of Duel Monsters to the Big Screen
carl_the_christian4 February 2017
This movie was amazing; especially, when compared to the series. In length it is the equivalent to a 7-part episode, and they would be 7 of the best episodes of the series. It has a very similar feeling to watching the duel with Pegasus or the Egyptian God card duels of the series.

The animation is superb, and though a little bit of CGI/2.5D is used, it is very mild, looks good, and much more clean than is often seen in Pokemon movies.

The beginning is a little slow at times, but the rest of the movie is very well paced with plenty of dueling and plenty of lore. It is a wondrous follow-up to the Duel Monsters series. In a period when many long-awaited sequels and remakes of well-known franchises are failing, this one brings back all the nostalgia and joy of Duel Monsters.
3 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good, even for people who never seen Yu-Gi-Oh!
subxerogravity11 February 2017
It's strange that I went to go see this flick at all. I was never into Yu-Gi-Oh!

But the Dark Side of Dimensions made card game playing look awesome. those card battles look great when the characters from the cards just popped out and came to life and did their attack moves. it was pretty fun to watch. Thank god the movie was English dubbed as it would kill me to have to read all the characters yelling out the explanations to how the card works.

The character design was really cool and Yu-Gi-Oh! had some cool characters in it. Not a bad experience, almost made me wish I saw the beginning before I saw the end.

3 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Impressive
notbogdy5 February 2017
The thing I can tell you for sure is this: I want more of this. This movie was amazing and it ignited something long forgotten from my childhood in me. This movie is all what gaming is about, and no other series does it better. While it was made to be with more advanced game-play, and not for newer players, it took a risk in being more inclined to a specific audience. And that for me is worth a 10 start in itself. Nowdays movies try to please everyone, and please no one, but they knew their fan-base and gave them something they needed. Also, they nailed it with the quantity and quality. This movies has a lot of content that could peak your interest. I really missed this series and now it proved that, the author's success is well deserved.
3 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice
oyunborann1 January 2018
I am writing this as a fanboy so in short if you have watch Yu-Gi-Oh's anime in your child hood you will love this movie. If you can watch in high quality, watch it. Worth every megabit. To see all the monsters in high quality is perfect. The vilain is a classic anime vilain but you should watch it for you child hood
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Yu-Gi-Oh Movie to Date!
rathaloskd6 May 2017
Don't listen to deathwing702, he doesn't understand the movie AT ALL! It was actually extremely satisfying and it tide up some loose ends for the original series. Sure, there were a few moments that could have been changed or cut out, but that's if you're being picky. I appreciated the fact that it focused more on Kaiba and not so much on Yugi or the Pharaoh. I mean seriously, Who isn't tired of seeing Yugi always taking up the spotlight. It's refreshing to see Kaiba step up as a dominant character for once while not getting his dolt handed to him in a duel by Yugi. Unlike deathwing702's obtuse opinion, the ending was exceptional. If you don't agree, then you failed to understand who Kaiba is as a person and character. Go watch it in English DUB of course, you won't be disappointed if you were a fan of the Original Yu-Gi-Oh series.
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
must watch
angel_ema14 March 2017
hooray! very good, even for people who never seen Yu-Gi-Oh!

surprisingly impressive glorious return of duel monsters to the Big screen this movie was amazing; especially, when compared to the series. In length it is the equivalent to a 7-part episode, and they would be 7 of the best episodes of the series. wonderful movie . i agree with all the other positive reviews above ❤️❤️
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rules were meant to be broken.
roly-5922918 March 2018
Man did all Yu-Gi-Oh break on this. Awesome characters and awesome transitions of graphics and very good storyline. Diva was on to something and yet, despite being enemies, Yugi and Kaiba ended up working together to save their dimensions and planet.

But Kaiba had a screwed up station that shot to space! Like WTF?! Anyways, very enjoyable but a fair warning here, its nothing like the old days of the Yu Gi Oh! TV series.

Go watch it if you can.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is pretty much the Kaiba movie, but I'm okay with that.
lunalovitt24 January 2018
So overall, this was actually pretty good. I loved the visual upgrade the series' style got. I loved seeing all the characters again. I mean, my score basically shows that I liked it over all. However, there were a few things that detracted from it for me.

First off, Kaiba's sudden overwhelming obsession to bring back the Pharaoh. I get it, he believes in the ancient Egypt stuff now, but... given how the series ended, I don't understand why he'd be obsessed with dueling the Pharaoh and not Yugi, the person who actually defeated our favorite puzzle spirit. Also to the point where he would risk his own life to travel through space and time just to duel the man again. This is almost insane levels of obsession to the point where it kind of detracts from his character. While duel monsters was always important to him before, in the series he never really went to these extremes for it. Still, his overall part in this story was pretty amazing. He was made out to be a complete bamf and earned every glorious second of it. Plus his intelligence was really shining based solely on the technological advances he's pioneered since the series. Like, dang, boy's got serious smarts. Also apparently some good one-liners.

Now on to the main conflict. Okay, so... This was pretty much entirely Kaiba's fault due to his obsession over bringing back the Pharaoh. The reasoning behind the antagonist's motives were somewhat flimsy. Kind of a basic "we don't want to lose our ultimate power" kind of thing on the surface (and holy cow was Diva OP as heck. It's a shock he didn't just wipe out the universe while he was at it). Props to the writers for finding a way to tie in the series and create this kind of mind-blowing story for Shadi, though. As to my thoughts on Diva and Shadi's child followers, well, they're a bit mixed. Diva (and a diva he truly is in terms of angst) is a character I can sympathize with. However I am a little disappointed that at the end of it all it was really the spirit of the millennium ring that issues the greatest threat.

The return of the Pharaoh was great. There really is no way to describe the scene so I really suggest that even if people don't watch the movie, they should just track down that scene and take it in. The build up and tension was amazing and honestly I'd watch this again multiple times.

As to my opinion on how the whole ending turns out, well, given the opening scene with Kaiba winning against hologram Yami/Atem and then him not losing to Yugi later on (and this purposefully being shown to the audience), I get the feeling the end probably actually is the time that Kaiba beats the real Pharaoh in a duel and redeems himself even though we never actually see the duel happen. This was basically a movie focused on Kaiba, after all, and it shows his change in attitude about the past and dueling into something akin to his own version of the heart of the cards, meaning he's finally dueling on a level that is equal to that of the Pharaoh. Heck, I'm actively rooting for him to win just based on all he's done and accomplished just to get that far. While I wish I could see that duel play out, I have little doubt about the outcome given all this movie has shown and hinted at.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.