The Matchbreaker (2016) Poster

Surprisingly good, very refreshing, brilliantly original
michaeljtrubic11 December 2016
Wonderful cast of characters, charming situations, interesting pleasant characters - paused 36 minutes into it to say I found it absolutely flawless so far. Its understated and simply done. As I have said in another review when you do something simple it becomes a measure of how well you do something.

This is so very well done.

I am looking forward to other projects from this film maker (writer director).

First time I ever saw a really good film coming from Kansas City, Missouri.

I only found this by searching for Christina Grimmie - poor dear.

This should help memorialize her with happy thoughts.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie, bad acting
navynasa228 July 2017
I think most/all of the reviews for this movie are from the cast/crew, etc. so I'm giving a real review from a real viewer who really found the movie randomly on Netflix. Story: Great. Could have been one of the all time great love stories. On par with Failure to Launch/Can't Buy Me Love/Begin Again. Directing: Surprisingly great. Watch out for Caleb Vetter. This movie could be the "Clerks" of his career. Overall movie quality: Really Good, between the great direction and the fabulous shots of Kansas City, the entire movie flows as you would expect from a RomCom with just enough twists and fun moments. Acting: some of the worst....ever. Christina Grimmie does a great job, not just singing either. I'm not just saying that as respect for such a great loss, she did a fabulous job. There are some minor parts with great acting (Michael Joiner, for example) but all the YouTubers did nothing more than deliver the lines. Wesley Elder is static and lacks a way for us to endear him to us. With better actors this movie could have been great. This also enhances my comparison to Kevin Smith as Brian O'Halloran does a spectacularly bad on-screen job. The difference it that Kevin Smith works with it and Caleb Vetter tries to make a mainstream film with it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing emotional subtlety
hallkw11 December 2016
Christina Grimmie delivered an amazing performance, conveying dozens of subtle emotional nuances through the lens of a Jazz singer. Look past some of the production quality challenges, and you can see fine-grained balance of passion and reservation. You see this coming through as a deep well, knowing there are plenty of resources held in reserve. There are dozens of examples of this, mostly during interactions to Wesley Elder's character, where she conveys far more through her subtle but precise facial expressions and voice tone (using dozens of combinations) than the words she uses. The result draws you into this light hearted story, and feel what this character feels, without taking you on an emotional roller coaster.

The world lost a sweet and talented soul six months ago, with tons of potential to continue to impact the world. Fortunately for us, she left behind this performance that was both sad and fun at the same time... "(to make) you feel better about the bad stuff."
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Cute and Lovely Romantic Comedy! 10/10
tiffany_sthilaire7 December 2016
"The Matchbreaker" was so fun to watch and put me in a very happy mood :) the very cute love story along with some comedic moments make the whole film very interesting to watch. I definitely recommend watching this ! The music of the movie fit the plot line and 'feeling' very well. I actually purchased the album of movie music as well because I liked it so much! I thought the actors were amazing in how they portrayed their characters- very believable and also lovable. It was also great to see the beloved Christina Grimmie in this movie. This is a great movie to watch with the family ! I really do hope to see more from these actors and film makers. I rate this film a 10/10 because it is very cute and funny and also brings tears to your eyes.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
better than you are expecting
ravinfox18 December 2016
the movie is awesome. this movie has everything comedy, romance, drama.I was waiting for this one since the movie has Christina Grimmie whom I want to see as an actor. For those people who don't know Christina Victoria Grimmie, she was an American singer, songwriter and YouTuber known for her participation in the NBC singing competition The Voice and for her covers of hit songs by contemporary pop musician. Well, she did a great job with Wesley elder in the movie. Both actors played the character perfectly. Must watch the movie if you like a romantic comedy. One more thing the jazz songs cover by C.G is awesome. Enjoy this movie. Thank You.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Matchbreaker: so much wit!
niutta-enrico31 March 2017
This movie really stands up from many other similar comedies: I can hardly recall such a pyrotechnical and funny dialogue in the past few years. The authors (amongst whom you can find Wesley Elder, the main character, the matchbreaker…) were really inspired when they wrote this fine piece: one of quickest and wittiest cut-and-thrust ever.

A fine work with a moral teaching: being smart ain't enough. You got to be honest too.

The only really really sad thing is that (as you will probably know), we'll never watch and hear the lovely Christina Grimmie acting and singing any more.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, entertaining, fun for teens and adults
andylew-7437730 April 2017
Found this on Netflix and was delighted to find out that it is clean, witty, and insightful!

I'm only an occasional jazz fan but I truly enjoyed the music too. I don't have a lot to add to what the other positive reviewers have said otherwise, except that it was really refreshing to get through an entire modern comedy without a single F-bomb.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When an idealistic romantic gets fired from his day job, he is offered a "one-time gig" to break up a girl's relationship for her disapproving parents..
webboy-819165 December 2016
The Matchbreaker (2016)

funny, heart warming

When an idealistic romantic gets fired from his day job, he is offered a "one-time gig" to break up a girl's relationship for her disapproving parents. His success spreads through word-of-mouth and he ends up becoming a professional match-breaker. However, when he falls in love with one of his clients, he must figure out how to balance his secret job with his love-life.

This was Christina Grimmie's first acting debut as an actress so even though I thought of her as a really great singer, honestly, I did not expect too much from her as an actress and since this is to her a posthumous appearance, I was more than ready to turn a blind eye to any shortcomings she might have had as an actress.. But I found Christina Grimmie's depiction of Emily Atkins in this movie as flawless and extremely believable.. It felt as if Christina was a professional actress groomed and trained from birth to be an actress.. She was just a natural. I thought the other actors were all very believable also and I found nothing in the movie that betrayed the fact that this was a low budget production.. I would definitely recommend this very cute love story movie to anyone. This is a great movie to watch with the family. I personally felt terrible when the film ended and saw the credits rolling up because it hit me that such an amazing talent that was Christina Grimmie had passed away completely senselessly.. I could not stop myself from thinking 'God.. life is so unfair!!! She really was a really good actress as well as a singer.. She would have had such a wonderful career!' At least while watching the movie, you will forget all about the outside world because Christina really had that rare talent that draws the viewer completely into the movie's reality.. Also, The music of the movie fit the plot line and feeling very well. You should definitely purchase the album of the movie's music. I really do hope to see more from these actors and film makers.

Anyway, for fans of Christina Grimmie, this film is definitely a must see.. Of course you would feel really terrible at the end of the movie because you will realize that Christina Grimmie was not only a very good singer but a naturally talented actress as well and really would have made it really big in this world. But you would still want to watch this movie if you are a fan who loved her.. People who are not fans of Christina Grimmie would be able to watch this movie and appreciate it for the comedy movie that it was originally intentioned to be.
17 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of my time
xxorgosxx30 March 2017
That's one of the most senseless movies i have ever seen. Ethan is the most selfish guy ever and Emily makes no sense whatsoever. I wont ever bother review the other characters. Actually ALL the characters' moves make no sense. I don't recommend this movie. Its bad, with bad messages. Thats not even close to the real world and how people actually act in real life.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So boring!
mr-roboto-kilroy29 March 2017
This is a bad movie. I like indie movies but this was pathetic. It was soooooo boring! It felt like the fun time was 4 hours and nothing really happens that isn't predicable. It's not funny. The "actors" are terrible. The plot is thin. The direction is practically non-existent. One positive thing that I can say about it is that the camera work is very good and the actual film editing is good, but not even that could save this movie. I also suspect that the reason why the reviews are so high on this site is because the "actors" and they friends and family are the only ones who rated this flop. It feels like a bunch of college students who majored in acting and film classes, couldn't find work so they decided to fund their own movie, which sadly was a huge mistake. I can't recommend this movie.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remarkably Unremarkable
ethansmithfilms7 November 2017
I can't help but feel sad for giving this movie a low score.

The film idea is not a BAD idea by itself; True Love Can Wait. The issue was the execution. Even if the budget was non-existent, there are plenty of things that could have been done to make this ten times better.

The one core cause of the poor execution: CASTING. The main character just came off as both unremarkable and uninterested. He lacked emotion, which caused 75% of the scenes to be awkward. This was true for practically all of the supporting characters as well. The only actor who pulled off her role (and really well) was Christina Grimmie as Emily. Grimmie looked natural.

I would not show this movie to anyone UNLESS they were a Christina Grimmie fan. But I would preface it with "this is a poorly produced movie"
It felt real ...not Hollywood
baronsmom1318 June 2017
I personally felt this picture was the real characterization as someone who fell into this strange business and then found the love of his life because of it. and it turned out the love of his life was the girl he dreamed of since he was a little boy when he had a crush on a girl who he thought was perfect the location was quaint butt real feeling like some place I could actually visit, the clothing they had on was everyday normal not Hollywood $$$$. each character had its own senses quirkiness or flaws if you will. you always see that when you go to a summer blockbuster you know somebody who's always glamorous or always handsome in that Hollywood Way by the end of this movie, the leading male was handsome and adorable and his friend wasn't quite so geeky and was really believable. the female lead wasn't Hollywood beautiful she was girl next door beautiful and she could sing like an angel when she sang the jazz songs that we've all heard at one time or another you got caught up in the tune in the words and in the sounds My spirits were listed just watching this movie I felt better.
A Man with a Unique Talent
Uriah4316 May 2017
"Ethan Cooper" (Wesley Elder) is a single, young man who has a problem maintaining any kind of romantic relationship because he is extremely critical of all the women he meets. The reason for this is because he has placed a certain female named "Emily Atkins" (Christina Grimmie) on a pedestal since grade school and everyone else simply cannot compete with the unrealistic standard he has set by comparison. Ironically, this inability to accept imperfection comes in quite handy when he finds himself being asked by parents to break up relationships involving their sons or daughters—and being lucratively rewarded for his efforts in the process. And then one day Emily comes back to town. Now, rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a cute little rom-com which, even though it was rather predictable, managed to maintain its charm all the same. In any case, while it certainly wasn't a great comedy by any means, I still liked this film for the most part and I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
taberbecca30 June 2018
Terrible acting Awkward plot. Couldn't get through 20min
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok movie
LukeCustomer27 October 2018
Clearly there are a few reviewers on here who are trying to promote this movie. It is a good attempt but had some flaws. I didn't have a problem with the acting because I thought it was kind of the point. Ethan has been in love with Emily since middle school holds all his relationships up to his crush and finds them lacking. Ethan is a good guy but has a nack for logically dismantling all the reasons a relationship will not work in a logical and dispassionate way. People start to notice and start paying him to perform this service for their children and get them to break up with their unsuitable mate.

Well guess who ends up as one of his clients? You got it, Emily's mom! In the end Ethan ends up breaking her up but also inserting himself has a love interest for her. One problem with the move is that Ethan's dispassionate nature makes him hard to root for to get the girl. Plus Emily does not exactly seem like a girl worth getting as the grown up girl seems not to bright and messy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it!! Really lifted up my mood.
carinagama14 March 2018
I've been excited for this movie ever since they started recording it back in 2015. I was laughing through most of the movie. I really liked it. I don't understand these comments saying the acting was bad, in my opinion it was not. I think they all did a good job. I loved the cast choice so much. I fell in love with Wesley's personality. I'm really excited to see more work from him and the Vetter Brothers Filmworks, as well. Grimmie was also, amazing. I loved seeing this new side of her. (acting)

Much love, from Portugal.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible acting
catherine_welk15 November 2017
All of the lines were delivered awkwardly and it was really uncomfortable to watch. The main character has zero acting skill and his voice was grindy and annoying. It seems like the director had no idea how to direct, because all of the actors had a similar grindy tone.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazingly boring movie
xhidden9924 November 2017
It's got what you'd think are the requisite check boxes for romcom. A dumb unlikable male who's a genius about the social lives of others but is retarded about his own. A retarded sidekick best friend. A fake career where he gets paid to be evil. And of course the girl of his dreams is the most amazing perfect woman he's been in love with since they were 8 and she doesn't know it. So he stalks her, which in this case was eerily prescient since the actress was actually murdered by a guy like this. So there you have it ladies. Every romcom is a story of love between an idiot and her killer. In the end though THIS movie is slow and dull and not even in that frustrating way all romcoms rely on confusion fear and mixed messages. It's dull in the way that poorly written acted and directed movies are. Make no mistake, Christina Grimmie was a phenomenally talented singer. A singer, the operant word is singer. Not actress. She couldn't act. But then no one in THIS movie can. Three stars for her singing.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even if you don't like rom coms, you'll appreciate this one
rick-casady16 May 2018
I usually don't like romantic comedies, but I thought this one genuinely witty, like the ones Ron Howard used to do in the 1980s. Why not quite as cerebral as Whit Stillman's best work, like his films, It is driven by the dialogue, and forgoes the usually expected slide into raunchiness typical of most comedies these days. I think this one should be given a shot, if you want something funny, sweet-natured and inoffensive. It is the only feature film done by the late Christina Grimmie, and is worth discovering.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly boring but enjoyable
nayeemrs24 December 2017
The Matchbreaker is quite somehow enjoyable but mostly boring & too emotional.I don't recommend you to watch this film if your time is valuable.Dramatic filmly style movie The Matchbreaker is able to refresh your afternoon.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
indeed old scenario movie
majstarx-8676831 March 2017
indeed old scenario movie. im wounder how the writer still keeping imitate the same scenario without having a distinctive story!!

0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.