The Wall (2017) Poster

(II) (2017)

Not Anti-American
westsideschl28 August 2017
First off, most of the one star negative reviews are from people who saw this film as anti-American (whatever that is) and pro-terrorist. I disagree, I think it tried to show throughout the long tête-à-tête between the American sniper and the Iraqi sniper that they both have viewpoints in which they tried to justify their positions. Something that has always been lacking in both national and international politics, as well as each individual's personal everyday views on any subject. Trying to see that another viewpoint has justification is, and has always been, difficult. People have always taken advantage of this propensity shown by such phrasing as "If you're not for us, then you're against us." Second, I do agree that some of the scenarios were a little too set up such as at that range a sniper shot to a zigzagging water bottle, antenna, and knee is a bit much. But, I suppose it was just to set up a scenario where the dialogue plays the pivotal role. Also, our wounded American should have immediately communicated to the heli rescue (and they should have known) that the sniper would target them (so fly low in the other direction). Third, anybody who has been in a fight if given the opportunity to talk to their opponent soon discovers that they have a pov too.
51 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Perfect One-Man movie .. One of the Best Thriller movies before being A War Movie of the year by far
Abdo007924 August 2017
This is what you can call The One-Man Movie , Way way underrated movie .. Aaron Taylor-Johnson ( Isaac ) makes a tremendous effort in this movie , Perfect performance and I really give him most of the credit .. Laith Nakli ( The Sniper ) also does a great job in performing the mysterious man of the show even by only his voice !

The movie itself is intelligent thriller till the last moment of it . I liked the dialogues , the convincing acting , the way Isac's thinking was portrayed and his insiders were shown . I mean , I really could feel him and found myself in his position

The Location , The Shots , The Directing and The General Atmosphere were all perfectly carried out

The Absence of music nearly the whole movie gets you living it in a more focused way

Important point to consider is that this isn't mainly a war movie , It's a thriller one .. So Don't expect finding battles , fights , tanks and helicopters and so on

Such a low budget film , few cast and under 90 minutes is considered in my opinion as a very pleasant experience which I heavily recommend for any fan of thriller genre movies .. Just keep it running till the end , You won't regret it
46 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BrainDead
dintjommi8 August 2017
Lets hope no war veterans or soldiers see this movie. First of all, i cannot understand why anyone, like a SNIPER, would carry binoculars they KNOW "fogs up" now and then. Just because good memories of his DEAD partner? And how anyone can spot anything if they just zoom across the horizon so fast that the image gets blurry, is beyond me. Now these 2 "soldiers" look so gritty and dirty and experienced, that it is shocking to see their panic and feeble fumbling when something actually happens. The amount of dust and dirt on their clothes, weapons and faces is just incredible.

A pipeline is being built. All (some?) of the construction workers has been shot, along with their body guards ? 2 soldiers (our heros) are hiding in some bushes, looking at the bodies. WHY ARE THEY THERE ? Are they part of the "protection" for the construction workers ? Are they sent to investigate ? Did they just stumble over the scene by accident ? Do they have ANY orders ? They have been there for 20 hours, where is their relief ? Why is there not anyone coming in armored trucks to clear out the area and get the pipeline built ? Why do they not contact headquarters and ASK what to do ? Maybe they could get a drone in to spot for them ?

So: WITHOUT CALLING HQ ON THE RADIO, the big soldier gets fed up with sniping, walks in to the open and gets shot. The little one then starts breathing heavily, and fumbles around with his equipment like a total noob, before he does the same. Does NOT call for help while hiding in the bushes, oh no, that would be too easy. The little one manages to get in cover, (whatever cover may be, when you have no clue where your enemy is), behind this "wall", a pile of bricks and rock that would provide very little protection in reality.

Of course their mysterious enemy has shot his water bottle and radio, while he was running around in circles in the open, so he has no water, and no means of calling for help. Luckily, he does not need the radio, because by a MIRACLE: the rescue team calls him up on the intercom (short distance radio) and little soldier has no suspicion and proceeds to tell how his situation is, he is wounded and his buddy is shot and probably dead, all while breathing heavy, rolling in the dust, crying, and screaming Feck Feck Feck constantly. At this time i was hoping he would get shot more, because then maybe he would die faster.

Then he frantically hammers a hole in the wall to peek out, and nearly demolishes his shooting finger when the wall collapses. Of course there is no rescue team, only the psycho (with a radio) who shot the water bottle and knocked the antenna off the radio, ON THE MOVE, FROM 8-900 yards away.

Psycho is sitting in a pile of dung and waste, and has probably no hurry getting back to his hut for dinner, even though he must have been there for days.

Now he want to scare the little soldier. But hey, little soldier manages, with his little retar*d brain to figure out where Psycho is, because of the background noise on the radio, from metal sheets banging against each other.

If I had to sit and snipe in a waste pile for days, i would certainly put a stop to any banging metal sheets in my environment. That would just drive me crazy.

I had to stop watching the film, it was just too stupid.
72 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bare Bones Thriller That Works More Than It Doesn't
trublu21512 May 2017
The Wall is the latest thriller from director Doug Liman and features Aaron Taylor-Johnson and John Cena as a two man recon team stationed in Iraq who are pinned down by sniper fire and must take refuge behind a wall. Their calls for help are heard by no one...except the enemy sniper. As the battle of wits rages on so does the courage of the two men and their will to survive. This proves to be very beneficial for this film because, honestly, it did not feel like it would be able to sustain a feature length film. However, with the sheer intensity of the film and the perfect performances from Johnson and Cena, The Wall works even when it doesn't.

First off, the film is a lean, mean 80 minutes. As soon as the film starts, it starts. There is no warming up to it, it drops you in the movie unapologetic. What comes next is a reckoning of pure adrenaline pumping cinema. Much like last year's The Shallows, The Wall benefits from its bare bones approach. There isn't big explosions or typical warfare, this is more a war of wits which has been done before (and better) but this film is successful in the way that it doesn't need huge action numbers to sustain suspense. Director Doug Liman knows what it is and he knows the strengths are in the performances. It makes for a very interesting addition in the new age war film genre, sitting nicely between The Hurt Locker and American Sniper.

Despite all that is well with the film, there are a few moments where you're expecting the film to go one way and then it absolutely does not take any risks and gives you exactly what you expected. For that, I have to say that it was disappointing to not see as much innovation with such a bare bones film. For me, I like when characters are forced to use their environments for their benefit. The Wall definitely did that but in sort of a half-assed way. There really isn't anything clever or cool about the way it all pans out. With that being said, it still makes for an intense movie even if sometimes it feels a little cheap.

Overall, The Wall is a short yet intense film that will keep you hanging on until the last frame. The performances from Aaron Taylor Johnson and John Cena are nothing short of amazing. This is especially for John Cena, who absolutely blew me away with his fantastic performance as Matthews. While Cena shines, so does Aaron Taylor Johnson who bucks up and carries the movie on his shoulders without even thinking about it. It stands as Johnson and Cena's best performances to date and it definitely is worth watching.
60 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb and Dumber: in the desert
alexac-071563 November 2017
So, it's about two brainless snipers. Except from being poorly equipped they also make bad choices. When one of them gets shot the other guy runs after him like a blind hen and - surprise - get's shot too. Theses two guys are supposed to be elites, but still a minimal amount of action makes them both totally lose it.

To seem extra macho every sentence consists of at least 5x"fuck". Too bad watching them acting like 50's housewives hosting a dinner party kind of ruins the alpha image.

Yeah... and then it just gets really boring.

It's so dumb and unrealistic I can't imagine anyone with ANY experience with the military was involved during the making of this film. If you're a fan of war movies like me, this isn't worse your time.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid moments ruin everything
paridonian5 September 2017
This movie really did have the potential to be great. The story was right, the tension needed just a hair more and it would have been on the money. I wish we could have dropped the bad accents from all parties if I'm being frank about it. but the worst was the TERRIBLE moments portrayed by the Sniper team. If you know anything about the military EVERYTHING this team did was so wrong and obviously stupid it makes my damn head hurt. I didn't really get an anti-American feel from the movie, but I did get a hint of sentimentality for middle-eastern insurgents that take up arms against the U.S. Military. Again I say this movie had potential, but the ending was DUMB as hell, the actions taken by the "U.S. Team" were so blatantly wrong, it was hard to watch.
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ANOTHER Wretched Film
walleye-425374 August 2017
I thought, maybe, just maybe, we were going to get to see a REAL acting opportunity from Johhhhhn Cena. Nope. Not happening. The Director used him as nothing more than a Prop. How sad. I think Cena has the ability to deliver some really good and moving Acting but is never given the opportunity.

This movie has more weak points than strong ones. Only one person is really doing the acting in most of the movie. That is the character Isaac, known also as "Eyes" who is the Spotter for John Cena's Sniper Character, Mathews. In reality, there are only 2 actors you see, Cena and Eyes. You hear another actor, supposedly an Iraqi Insurgent Sniper. Eyes starts off as a strong, funny and interesting character. He finishes as a whining little girl. So, I have to give the Acting in this movie a 5 and I feel that is being generous. The Bad acting is more than likely a result of bad writing in the screenplay. The writing was awful, it bounces around and at some points, you think it is starting to click and then there is a stupid line that destroys everything. The Directing? What Directing. Whoever did it, just simply "Phoned it in".

This movie was just all over the place but was building to a possible decent ending. Well, that was all crushed in the last 5 minutes of the movie. Perhaps it was the "Realism" factor that was so poor. Anyone that has spent time in the "SandBox" will find this movie to be poor. We didn't and wouldn't have acted like this, nor would we have had the stupidity to bring along KNOWN faulty equipment. I remember ordering my own Body Armor because I didn't feel the Military version was good enough. A Sniper in our Unit even had Barrett send him his own personal Rifle over. Not to mention, rescue Choppers are not old Nam Copters that have a paint job. I don't really want to give too much of this movie away, but when a unit comes to rescue you, they don't come in 2 Unarmed Choppers and a few guys. There are usually some ground forces, Attack Helicopters or Warthogs or F-16's or the rare F-22.

The idea that when a couple of men need Rescuing it's because they are in a "Hot Zone", that is, the enemy is present. You might even send in a Drone to check out the area first. But you don't go with unarmed Nam era Choppers. If I didn't know better, I would say this movie was made by Iraqi Insurgents. Iraqi Snipers usually used either a Russian made Sniper Rifle or a British Made version. There also was some Austrian made Steyr HS-50's that were shipped to Iran that made their way into the hands of some Iraqi Insurgents. That weapon, however, is a single shot and shoots either a .50 BMG or a .46 Round. They are also notoriously horrendous shots, except for the Iraqi Sniper called Juba. There is some talk that the Iraqi Sniper in this film is supposed to be Juba. I find that virtually impossible to believe. Although, there is some controversy as to whether Juba was just one person or even just a Myth. At any rate, Iraqi Snipers would not be shooting a Rifle that fires a 7.62 x 51mm NATO Round. Why? First off, the Guns are hard to get hold of and are very expensive as is the Ammunition. That is why Iraqi Snipers used a common Russian, Austrian by way of Iran or British weapon. The only time an Iraqi Insurgent MIGHT shoot a 7.62 Round would be in an AK-47 and then it is a 7.62 x 39mm round which is NOT a NATO round.

The fact that John Cena's character, Mathews, used an M24 SWS Sniper Rifle is a bit unbelievable as well. There are at least a Dozen Sniper Rifles at that time that are all around better Rifles to use.

I am losing sight of the "Big Picture" here about this movie. It is an annoying movie in most respects. Acting, Directing, Believability, Military Accuracy etc. Don't waste your time or effort going to see it at the theater. Wait until it ends up on Netflix or HBO and even then, it's not really worth your time.
40 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and the plot and characters did not go anywhere worth seeing.
cruise0115 August 2017
The Wall a war thriller that takes its entire place with an American soldier trapped behind a wall as a sniper has him pinned down. I felt like this war thriller was going to be better than another similar film like Mine with Armie Hammer as he was stuck in the middle of the desert after stepping on a mine. The Wall is no better, it is boring, the script did not develop the characters, and it was dull with its thrills and suspense.

The plot is simple. U.S. Army Allen (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) and Shane (John Cena) are at pipeline construction site in Iraq. Sent there to make sure it is clear from the enemies. Only to get pinned down themselves by a sniper nearby.

The script should have gone further and gave a proper development with the characters. The dialogue between Allen and the mystery sniper talking about philosophies, the irony, and the meanings behind poets. Basically, the meaning of what is the purpose for Allen and his partner being in Iraq? Even with the war being over. Why are they still there? With Allen making a few tours and in the final brinks of survival is begging to go home. But where is home exactly? As the sniper questions him, that in every chance Allen gets, he is back in the battlefield, serving another tour. The dialogue between these characters could have been more. Except it leaves the characters like Allen feeling a bit one dimensional.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson is a decent actor. He has come along way with his performances from Nocturnal Animals, Kick-Ass, Avengers, and Godzilla. His performance in the film did feel over the top. John Cena was decent and had a small brief moment.

The film does lack thrills and suspense. Seeing Allen being taunted by the sniper through the radio. As Allen is hiding on the other side of the wall. And the whole hour and a half spends most of the time with Allen trying to pinpoint the snipers location and his life being on the line. The twist in the end was anticlimactic without giving much away.

Overall, The Wall is a dull war thriller that is boring, lacks in character development, and there was no suspense or thrills to even make this worth watching.

I rate it 2 out of 5 stars.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been great, but fails badly.
j3Tindustries3 August 2017
So... This could have been a great movie. Had all the elements for it, could have been a Phonebooth in a war setting. Unfortunately it's just not a good movie. There's no character development and the lead actor (Isaac) is trying his hardest to portray a totally incompetent soldier. As you'll learn in the beginning, they are supposed to be an ODA-element. There's just no way ODA guys would get into a situation like this (trapped by a single Iraqi sniper), and if they did they wouldn't whine about it like Isaac. I mean, the whole movie Isaac is freaking out and making bad decisions. How would this guy ever get into an ODA-element? And then the ending... the single Iraqi sniper takes out two helo's? Right right, sure. You would almost think the director tried to make an Isis promo video. It's far from a good or even a realistic movie. Can't recommend it at all.
30 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phone booth 2 - Destination Iraq
Kusari0714 May 2017
I went into the theater thinking this would be a modern Enemy at the gates. Instead I got what felt like a horrible sequel to a movie never that never made it off the drawing board. If someone was writing a budget sequel to Phone Booth and decided to rip off the plot to The Hills have eyes 2, then you would have The Wall. The movie was basically empty thrills with an obvious end to each. I felt like I was watching more of a bad slasher flick then a drama/thriller. The ending was really bad, it ruined what little the movie had going for it.
64 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Juba and Ize
ferguson-611 May 2017
Greetings again from the darkness. When a director's filmography includes "big" action movies like Edge of Tomorrow, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and The Bourne Identity (the original), the last thing we expect is a stripped-down war movie whose camera focuses on a single character almost the entire run time. Director Doug Liman certainly understands how to use the camera in creating tension and stress, yet while he and writer Dwain Worrell seem so intent on proving the confusion and futility of war, they seem to forget that a thriller needs either a hero to cheer or a villain to jeer.

It's late 2007, and the war is winding down as rebuilding efforts are underway. Hulking Staff Sergeant Matthews (John Cena) and his fellow soldier Isaac (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) have been perched and camouflaged on the side a hill for more than 20 hours as they carry out reconnaissance on the site of an under-construction oil pipeline. All they have seen is the remains of a massacre – 8 bodies with no signs of life. Peering through his malfunctioning scope that once belonged to a now-dead friend, Isaac (known as "Ize" – get it?) and his training thinks something doesn't seem right. When Matthews deems the site safe, he heads down to check it out. Of course, all heck breaks out and soon enough, an injured Isaac takes shelter alone behind a teetering stone wall. It turns out a sniper, more patient than the American soldiers, had been biding time for the moment.

The first eight bodies are construction contractors and a security detail … none of which mattered to the sniper. The hook here is that the sniper hacks into Isaac's radio and seemingly wants to chat it up, rather than finish him off. We never see the sniper, and neither do Matthews or Isaac … but we do hear him plenty. Laith Nakli voices Juba – known to American soldiers as the Angel of Death, responsible for dozens of US casualties. The film spirals into a psychological game of chess – or, more fittingly, the torture of Isaac. This isn't the war we've come to expect in movies. Isaac's situation seems hopeless, and banter with the man responsible never strikes him as a worthwhile pursuit.

The biggest issue here is that Juba seems the most interesting character, and not only are we never provided a way to connect with/hate him, we don't even get enough backstory to bond with Isaac. Plenty of obstacles are thrown at Isaac: blowing sand, lack of drinking water, skittles for sustenance, blazing sun/heat, radio issues, and a brutally painful knee wound courtesy of Juba. The success of the movie depends on two things: Aaron Taylor-Johnson selling us on Isaac's predicament, and the radio dialogue between he and Juba. The former is fine, but the latter falls short.

Better sniper movies include American Sniper and Enemy at the Gates, while more effective (mostly) one-character thrillers include Locke, Buried, and 127 Hours. The film makes excellent use of sound, but the little jabs at American ideals grows old quickly (such as asking who is the real terrorist). A different approach to a familiar topic deserves a chance, but while Juba only misses on purpose, the efforts of Mr. Liman and Mr. Worrell miss the mark by not engaging the viewer with the character(s).
37 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't mind negative comments decent thriller
this is Doug Liman

The Bourne Trilogy were the best yet, and The Edge of Tomorrow was geniously directed, now a sniper thriller and a decent one.

All negative commenters do not know anything about sniping and naturally can't emphatize the plot. should have read a little something about sniping and then go see the movie (if they have a habbit of reading)

Aaron Taylor Johnson is convincing enough and does most of the work, and the sniper, he is an unstoppable force.

the character development, issues that the lead actor suffering, the landscape and spot, the technicality, all very well crafted.

if you like a new experience on battle films go see this one. if you have ever played Ghost Sniper you have to see this one.
42 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Western Wall
zalouteacher3 August 2017
The movie is a snap of what happened, happens and would happen at war with lives, hopes, and disguise at stake. There is no wonder that the American soldier is depicted as one with a heart, with hope for life, and with a brain. Yet, if you look at the movie from an alien point of view you would understand that the soldier is a foreign land whom he has no idea why he is there, who he is fighting for, or even whether this war he's fighting and involved will change his world or the worlds of other. In other words, if your house is made of glass, don't throw at people stones. The producer tries to depict the lost souls who unwillingly fought for their countries or rather for their superiors and the so-called enemies who are on a mission to get back at them being pushed by what happened to them or to their countries. What separates truth, untruth, life and death is a mere wall that can collapse at any time.
23 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh....
vandersteven22 May 2017
I like John Cena, and I like war movies, so when I saw the movie poster I thought "Hey, this looks good", but nope. Turns out the best part of the movie was the poster. I don't know how these other reviewers can give it more than 2 stars unless they were paid to do so. The movie is supposed to be a psychological-wartime-thriller, but turned out being a lame predictable disappointing low budget dogs breakfast, co-starring John Cena, who dies, then lives...then dies again. In fact you don't see or hear much from him after about an opening 20 minute dialogue of profanities followed by him getting shot. The other guy Aaron Taylor-Johnson played the main character likely due to the movies low budget. Not to downplay his acting skills. He's pretty good for the character. Anyway I didn't like paying to see it in the theater, it was a waste of my time and money. Still better than Dungeons and Dragons though.
38 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch till the end!
madebeer2 August 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this. The movie seems like it drags in places, but don't be fooled, it's all part of the end ploy! Keep watching and you will discover a movie that has good and evil set straight in it's sights. But rewards those patient enough with a grand diversion of the 'typical' good vs evil that is well worth the wait.

A 'classic' (diversive) edge of your seat thrill ride.
34 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good concept of a story but failed to make it believable.
jsum-9421318 December 2017
The story starts with 2 scout snipers called to an area of enemy activity. It started wrong. with the snipers moving around like they are in their own base. then all of a sudden, one of them just jumps up and waltz around the area like he owns the place. really? who trained this idiots? then the enemy sniper used an 7.62x51 round at 1500M??? in high cross winds??? hello. Bullshit!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I LOVE a good American war effort
rickdspence19 November 2017
BUT THIS AIN'T ONE. Extremely tiresome to watch. Non-believable plot that turns like a rusty gear, it was all I could do to actually persist to the end. And when the blessed 'end' did come, I wanted to put my fist through the screen! If the ending doesn't have you yelling profanities and bitterly disappointed, I assume you are mildly retarded and you should go back to sucking your thumb and finger painting.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 411
timhuffman19 May 2017
Okay so to get started I had been waiting and waiting to go to the theater and see this movie, I finally made it out and well what is to follow will spoil the movie but trust me you'll save some money.

The movie starts out great a sniper (John Cena) and a spotter checking out a site where a construction crew and their guards have been killed. They sit and wait suspecting the crew has been killed by a sniper, after awhile John Cena grows tired or waiting and against his partners will heads into the area to check things out more closely. So this movie up to this point was awesome I was excited to see where it was going to go and then BAAAAM John Cena is hit with a bullet from a sniper, his partner runs to help and is then shot as well. His partner the spotter finds cover behind a wall and assess the situation to come to the conclusion that his situation is dire. Okay so the big actor in this movie is now laying face first on the ground bleeding and we are about fifteen minutes in and guess what HE STAYS THERE about 70% of the movie he is laying on his face. The spotter is pinned down and bleeding out, the enemy sniper's voice comes over the radio and conversation continues until the end of the movie and then the bad guy wins. Wrapping up here the main character or the one everyone is going to see is laying down the whole movie, and the bad guy his superman arms and can kill you at 1500 meters no problem, this movie had a bunch of potential but like Johnny football threw out all away. NEVER AGAIN.
28 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth watching
dcfriedm9 September 2017
The first few minutes were good, but after that, the movie gave all appearances of being an anti-American leftist/jihadi fantasy. I had my suspicions in the opening information lines, when it mentions that President Bush has declared victory. Why put that in, except to take a jab at Bush? The Iraqi supersniper is a highly educated former teacher who took up arms to protect his country (Yeah, right) after the US bombed his school (presumably for no reason), never mind our rules of engagement. The main American seems to have a two-word vocabulary; one starts with f, the other with s. He somehow made sergeant without having any idea of how to fight against a sniper, despite having already done a couple of tours in Iraq. Other reviews discuss the technical flaws with the weapons; I suspected some of those, but I'm not an expert. The single scene and limited number of characters are fine, but the movie takes a decidedly pro-Iraqi slant and makes all the Americans look incompetent.
24 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such an amazing underrated film!
TheTopDawgCritic6 August 2017
For a B-type low budget (3M) film that originated as a spec script from amateur writer Dwain Worrell, this psychological thriller was amazing!

Aside from a few plot holes, this film was perfect. Director Doug Liman nailed the directing, the cinematography was outstanding and the editing on point!

Huge props to lead actor Aaron Taylor-Johnson who simply nailed his role - you really felt sympathy for his character and routed for him. I'm thinking his performance is even Oscar worthy!

I'm not a fan of slow paced films but this one at 81 mins was perfectly paced for the conflict it portrayed, and its limitations (limited location, set, actors, etc). And what an ending, wow! Perfect for a part 2 (why not?)!

People need to ignore the negative reviews and see this film for what it is, an amazing underrated psychological thriller.

It's a well deserved 9/10 from me and hoping for a part 2!
28 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Voted number 1 movie of the year by Al-Qaeda
commonsensezone13 May 2017
Remember back in 2015 when ISIS was using Hollywood movies and social networking to recruit young impressionable 18 year old kids to join them? Well this is the sequel.

If this movie was simply boring and painfully predictable than I could probably find something worthwhile in it. However, not only does this thriller have no thrills, but the entire plot was predictable after the first 15 minutes. Everything about this movie is anti-American/anti-military. The basic premise is that Americans are baby killing terrorists and that Al-Qaeda is the super hero good guys. The American sergeants in the this film are depicted as weak, stupid and murderers. I seen first year cadets act more tactical than the two "army snipers" in this movie. While the Al-Qaeda sniper was depicted as a saint demigod sniper.

Bottom line, this is ISIS' new recruitment poster film. 0/10
38 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth viewing
kz917-15 September 2017
Two American soldiers are trapped by a sniper with only a wall for protection. What follows is a cat and mouse game of twenty questions. Sadly by the end you never get an answers. I am NOT A FAN of ambiguous endings! If you are going to tell a story, then tell a story. This film was half-assed. Skip it. There are much better films about servicemen and women than this.
29 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worst movie ever
archmageadriaxe17 May 2017
Most boring movie i have ever seen. extremely low budget, not even a b movie. Do not waste your time or money on it. you have been warned. I liked john in the marine, but this is just a talking movie no action at all. If you are wanting a action movie this is not it. Hopefully john will pick better scripts next time cause i like the guy.
43 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The mind games between an American soldier hiding from an Iraqi sniper
paul-allaer13 May 2017
"The Wall" (2017 release; 93 min.) brings the story of Isaac. As the movie opens, we are reminded that "It's late 2007, and the Iraqi was is winding down". We then meet two servicemen who are out somewhere in the desert looking for an Iraqi sniper who has killed US contractors. After 22 hrs.,, Matthews decides to go in, but when he does he is shot. In the ensuing chaos, Isaac also gets shot, and in desperation throws himself behind a wobbly wall to hide out. It's not too long before Isaac is in radio contact with the Iraqi sniper (pretending to be an ally). At this point we're not even 15 min. into the movie, but to tell you more of the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this is the latest movie from director Doug Liman, best known for action movies like his previous film "Edge of Tomorrow". Here, he goes a very different direction. It is in essence a (mostly one-man) theater play set in the desert and in three scenes: the opening 10 min., the middle 60 min, and the concluding 20 min. The meat of the film is the 60 min. (playing out in real time) in which Isaac and the Iraqi sniper are playing mind games with each other (but we only see Isaac). The performance from Aaron Taylor-Johnson is amazing (for one thing, he is out of breath the entire movie--due to heat exhaustion and from being shot). He carries the movie on his shoulders, both figuratively and literally. Along the way we also understand how it is that Isaac and Matthews ended up there, with no apparent backup or rescue plans. The movie does not contain any music (but for one instrumental playing over the end credits). Please note that the movie is shown here on Amazon and also other sources (such as IMDb) as having a running time of 81 min. This is simply not correct: the version I saw in the theater ran a few minutes over an hour and a half.

"The Wall" opened in theaters this weekend, and I couldn't wait to see it. The Saturday early evening screening where I saw this at here in Cincinnati was attend okay but still on the low side (considering it's the movie's opening weekend). Given the nature of the movie (a theater play in the desert) and its subject matter (the war in Iraq), I can't imagine this will play very long in theaters, so if this is something that might appeal to you, there's a good chance that you'll end up checking it out on Amazon Instant Video or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray.
23 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The MOST REGRETFUL show i have ever watched
thomashee26 July 2017
Is there a -minus rating? This show surely deserved NOTHING from any of us!

It is a pure waste of time sitting there for the time to click by and finally to be shown out of the theater!

Please film makers, don't publish your works if you know it is of such quality. It is BEYOND WORDS and i am surely not going to watch films produced by these producers ever again.

You are purely wasting our time !!!
34 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.