The Redeeming (2018) Poster

(2018)

Home protection with no redemption
TheLittleSongbird19 June 2018
'The Redeeming' drew me into seeing it, with a cool poster/cover, an intriguing premise and as someone with a general appreciation for horror. That it was low-budget, which from frequent personal experience is rarely a good sign due to that there are so many poor ones out there, made me though apprehensive.

It is sadly however yet another film seen recently, hence some reiteration because the exact same strengths and flaws those films have are present here, that to me was incredibly disappointing considering its potential which it doesn't do anywhere near enough with. 'The Redeeming' is terrible, with a plethora of problems (huge ones too) and doesn't do enough with its potential, which was hardly small. There is next to nothing to recommend.

Lets start with the sole positive. The scenery is atmospheric and spooky.

Unfortunately, the scenery is not done justice by the rather direct to video schlocky way it's shot and edited and the drab colour palette, so much so it was hard to appreciate it, it was very clear that the film was made in a rush with no care or enthusiasm. In particular, the camera work was a nauseous assault on the eyes with its excessive amateurish-ness.

Going on further to the negatives, the story does feel paper thin, disjointed and over-stretched and some of it feels vague, under-explained in the last third where the film especially became duller, more predictable, more senseless and less scary. Too many characters are too sketchy and with nowhere near enough to make one want to endear to them. Their annoying and illogical decision making and behaviours frustrates.

Making the film feel bland and forgettable with not enough heart put into it. The effects are ropy at best, the sound quality is obvious and utilised cheaply (being too loud in the build ups and people's reactions) and it's best not mentioning the uniformly lumbering and histrionic acting.

Dialogue can be stilted and rambling, with lots of clichés and no depth whatsoever, while the pace goes to a standstill very quickly and drags on forever with very little going on worth caring about and useless padding, never recovering. Found too many the supposedly shocking moments not surprising or scary and the supposedly creepy atmosphere dreary, due to the excessive obviousness, a lot of dumb and vague moments and explanations and the lack of tension and suspense. Would not have minded the lack of originality (the film is extremely derivative and in a dumbed and watered down way) if the story and atmosphere were at least alright in execution, in reality they were both very poorly done.

A lot of 'The Redeeming' has underdeveloped plot elements and often nonsensical and confusing character motivations, while too many of the things to make you jump or shocked are far from creative or scary and are pretty tame. The ending makes the film finish on an incomplete and confused whimper.

There is not enough threat, and what there is of it tends to be used poorly, it is completely unimaginative and more odd than creepy, completely failing to show any sense of horror or creativity. Everything here is neither creative, suspenseful or nail-biting. Some badly sagging momentum too. The direction is leaden and like their heart was not in it or ill at ease.

Overall, awful with no redeeming value apart from an element that is difficult to appreciate with it being complemented so badly. 1/10 Bethany Cox
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth losing an eye over.
nogodnomasters22 May 2018
A woman lives in an isolated home. On a windy night she is visited by a young man with a broken right arm. She helps him, but we can see she is disturbed about something. We suspect a relationship.

At about 40 minutes into the film we have a good idea about what is happening and it continues until 4 minutes from the end when we get a twist.

The film draws you in as you are curious where it all leads, but it is not a film I could sit through twice.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Redeeming review
JoeytheBrit5 May 2020
A troubled woman allows an injured young man into her remote home one dark and stormy night - and not much at all happens after that. More or less a two-header with one character impotent and passive and the other a highly-strung shrew whose moods swing with the regularity of a pendulum, The Redeeming makes for very thin soup.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hooked us in
Phil_Chester12 June 2018
We really enjoyed this film. It completely hooked us in, which is quite remarkable, considering how small it is in scope. The acting and story are really powerful and when the film ended, we felt like we wanted it to carry on. There's a rather clever twist that makes you want to watch the film again to check for any clues. Beautiful to look at and great entertainment.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible trash with fake reviews
mjsreg12 May 2018
There is a big difference between low budget films made by people with talent and this kind of low budget film made by people who think they have talent.

It is terrible from start to finish. The acting is awful, the production is technically awful, and the story is benal and lacking any kind of tense strategy or flow that makes the viewer fel part of it.

On top of this, instead of accepting they have produced a pile of trash, whoever is responsible for this film have either written fake reviews or had other people write fake reviews for them.

There is NOTHING worth wasting your time on watching this rubbish. If I were able to rate it truly then it would be around a MINUS 3 star.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Dignified Ghost Story
TheAll-SeeingI7 December 2018
Brian Barnes' The Redeeming is a smart and shrewdly executed in-the-head thriller. Claustrophobically entombed in what amounts to a single location, the subtle yet at times high-tension acting between two primary characters grab the attention early and hold it throughout. With a unique story of things past, this quiet film leverages solitude and builds suspense by keeping the viewer guessing. This is one to watch in a dark home environment while you allow that environment to merge seamlessly with the intimacy of the darkened house in which this deftly-executed film takes root.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid psychological thriller
craigahrens17 May 2019
A sign of great acting.... it didn't occur to me until I was well into this film that it's basically two main characters. That is how the good the acting is with the actors. The lead actress did an incredible job holding my interest. She plays crazy so well and takes you on a psychological journey. The lead male actor is good too but the lead actress was just absolutely terrific. A go see in my book.
Mysterious Chamber Drama
JGReviews4 February 2019
The Redeeming is about a woman who is home by herself in a remote area when a young man arrives at her door in the middle of the night saying that he is injured and needs help. The woman allows the man in, but we as the audience are unsure if she is safe, particularly since the power is out, there is no phone service, and no one for miles around. What makes The Redeeming an interesting film is that we then start to question the woman's sanity and whether or not the young man should be the one who should be worried for his safety. I enjoyed the mysterious back and forth reveals of each character's true intentions and the film offered some fascinating twists. Ultimately, I found The Redeeming to be a very good indie chamber drama that I would highly recommend.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nicely done Indie horror flick without the spurting blood.
williamgway4 May 2020
This a nice film. I thought this movie did a much better than average take on horror. For one, it was somewhat tastefully done, do did not rely on special effects to get across the message. Instead the two lead actors (Tracey Ann Wood and Ryan Wichert) did and excellent job in bringing the story to life. Nice job by the director Brian Barnes in telling the story. Worth a watch.
Crock of Crap
jonerogers8 November 2018
I won't spend much time on this as i already wasted 85 minutes watching the film and really wish i had not. My partner and I have a rule that if we think a film is bad and it gets no better at the 10 minute mark we pull the plug. Unfortunately last night we slipped up and both did not want to offend the other.

Basically it really is bad, the acting is poor, the story could have been told in 3 minutes and saved the viewer watching the other 82 minutes of utter crud. i kept hoping that maybe it would turn and become good...oh no!!! it was as stale as a rich tea biscuit left out of the biscuit barrel for a year.

i rarely speak harshly but sorry the budget for this film must have been no more than £20 and that would be for the electric to power the film cameras.

save your money and gently skip away from this.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A suspenseful psycho thriller in the vein of Misery!
Anmer9324 July 2019
A suspenseful psycho thriller in the vein of Misery. If your into tense mystery and brooding discomfort this is a real entertaining watch. The cast have a great time and the cinematography has moments of genius.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever, creepy, and cerebral
JCanni686 May 2020
I found this psychological thriller to be a compelling story, one filled with mystery and intrigue. The acting is solid, as is the overall production which effectively delivers a dark, creepy, cerebral mind-bender. It'll have you trying to figure it out before it delivers it's final chilling twist.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see psychological thriller
johnapplebee-9594721 January 2019
This psychological thriller reminded me of six sense in a way with the way it ended. Had a little bit of the movie misery in it. The story was unique and the quality was very good. It takes a while for it to get really good because it's building u other story but once it hits its climax it all unfolds really well. A must see
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining thriller that will keep you guessing what comes next
lbruhnca22 February 2020
A character driven indie thriller will keep you wondering what will happen next. Watch to the end to get all the surprises and twists. The writer, director, and cast did a great job of making this an entertaining story.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stranger danger that delivers!
alanakmd12 October 2019
This is an intelligent single-location thriller that very cleverly delivers the suspense you would hope for in spite of it being primarily dialogue driven. Familiar concept - helping a stranger in need - that is a very well done psychological thriller!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Indie Psychological Thriller
GilbertS-8515 May 2020
The Redeeming starts like a horror movie but diverges into an eerie psychological thriller. There is a kind of darkness and mystery about the story that allows you to get further sucked in. I was always interested in what was going to happen next. Worth the watch!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tense and contained horror thriller
jblockbuster31 July 2019
A very contained tense horror thriller with a very personal touch. The location is well chosen, the actors are very good and the score adds to the overall atmosphere. A well directed film!

I was asking myself halfway through how this would end and I think the screenwriter did a terrific job :) I enjoyed it!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Indie Film
vigilant5612 June 2019
I reccomend watching this good psychological Independent thriller! There is never a dull moment.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misery Loves Company
mentalrev29 July 2019
This is a movie to sink into and let it build, with terrific performances by Tracey Ann Wood as Joyce, the woman alone in the house, and Ryan Wichert as John, the young injured man lost in the woods. What feels like a familiar setup a la MISERY quickly builds it's own unique story line that builds tension a long the way. Things aren't what they seem with Joyce, but perhaps things aren't what they seem with John either.

This movie is much more suspense than horror, it's not a slasher, the tension builds organically not through jump cuts or ploys. Production value is solid and the old house in the moonlight adds to the general sense of doom.
Ignore the negative ratings
vegicat7 August 2018
I found this movie to be quite odd, creepy, and very interesting. I think it's more psychological drama than thriller or horror, though. There was just enough weird stuff going on to keep me intrigued until the ending, which made sense plot-wise, but didn't really match the tone of the rest of the movie. I was hoping there'd be another twist.

Thing is, I watched the movie before reading any reviews, so I didn't know it was low budget or a first-time production for some. That said, I wouldn't have been able to tell -- the acting was very good and the writing had a lot of unexpected parts. I've reviewed a ton of movies, so I didn't just score this one highly because I know the producer or something, like several people have suggested. I don't know anyone involved with the film, I genuinely liked the movie. And, will keep an eye out for other movies with the same cast, writer or director.

I think a lot of people read reviews before they watched it, and found out it was low-budget with an amateur production, so they just either nit-picked it to death because of that, or because they are snobs who want to present themselves as being some high-brow critics. I didn't know anything about the movie before I watched it.

It's a shame, because if I'd seen the abysmal IMBD score the nit-picky people have given this movie, I might never have seen it. I have no idea why it's not scored higher...I have seen a lot of films by new filmmakers that were horrible, and this was not one of them. It kept me intrigued and interested the entire time.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspense!
kjs114427 July 2019
This is a taut, suspenseful story that presents a fascinating look at a relationship between a woman, and the man who knocks on her door. It keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat for the entire runtime. It kept me glued to the screen. The directing and the writing are excellent. Highly recommended!
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good indie psychological thriller with a nice and touching twist
antoinepana7 October 2019
The actors are good and the characters they play mysterious. All the way through the movie you want to know if either of them is hiding something and what would that be. As the story unfolds you realize that what could be just another spooky movie is really an interesting therapeutic experiment.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Art or just amateurish?
sjalkarjadottir18 May 2018
First and foremost ... this movie is UGLY.

Scene design, camera, colouring/filtering ... and especially lights in pretty much every scene is terrible ...

... but if that is intentional .. it has a very amateur-ish vibe .. as in .. amateurish 90s or so .. before youtube and gopro and HD cameras....

A lot of the movie is also in the night .. so colours are even more muted but scenes lack the specific contrast of more beautiful night scenes.

The acting .. hmm .. i did not like it. It felt wooden, at times grossly overacted .. or simply inappropriate. In the end, the story may have explained it a little, but even so, it did not feel fitting.

The story .. while not particularly bad, was mostly a 101 of a healing process .. seen a hundred times before.

This is one of those movies that i would like to give credit for trying something that may have been a bit too much for the budget and actors .. but i cannot. Whats left is a 2/10 for the effort but ultimately a failed execution.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspenseful and tension filled.
cbax12319 July 2019
A deep psycho drama that centers around the relationship of two complicated characters. It's thrilling, disturbing and gets a lot done for a low budget movie. The tension is eerie and continuously builds toward a climax. I won't say anymore to spoil it!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Psycho Thriller with a good ending
caseykilloran19 November 2018
The Redeeming feels like it is inspired by Stephen King's Misery and an Alfred Hitchcock film. The pace is slow but the acting is risky and makes you think about the characters. I really liked the young man. The end has a big pay off.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.