The Redeeming (2018) Poster

(2018)

Suspenseful Indie thriller
jason-scepter28 September 2019
The Redeeming is a psychological thriller that has a nice slow build of tension as it progresses. It centers around a woman in a home in a remote area who lets a young man in. Interesting twists in turns throughout. Great acting by Tracey Ann Wood and Ryan Wichert.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All you wish a psychological thriller to be, and more
ringthebellsproductions25 August 2019
I love psychological thrillers and this one was so smart and kept me curious (and nervous!) the whole viewing. The acting is amazing, and the script and camera work are crafted in a really intelligent way. Recommended!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent indie, one location thriller
Ink78923 August 2019
Film makes the most of its one location and small cast. Very well executed thriller with shades of the film Misery. I have a a soft spot for films done well with limited resources. This is a smart production from start to finish.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good indie psychological thriller with a nice and touching twist
antoinepana7 October 2019
The actors are good and the characters they play mysterious. All the way through the movie you want to know if either of them is hiding something and what would that be. As the story unfolds you realize that what could be just another spooky movie is really an interesting therapeutic experiment.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspense!
kjs114427 July 2019
This is a taut, suspenseful story that presents a fascinating look at a relationship between a woman, and the man who knocks on her door. It keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat for the entire runtime. It kept me glued to the screen. The directing and the writing are excellent. Highly recommended!
Good Indie Film
vigilant5612 June 2019
I reccomend watching this good psychological Independent thriller! There is never a dull moment.
Solid psychological thriller
craig-ahrens17 May 2019
A sign of great acting.... it didn't occur to me until I was well into this film that it's basically two main characters. That is how the good the acting is with the actors. The lead actress did an incredible job holding my interest. She plays crazy so well and takes you on a psychological journey. The lead male actor is good too but the lead actress was just absolutely terrific. A go see in my book.
a great starting point
SLKoether12 July 2018
You can see the filmmakers/actors/cast/crew worked hard to make the best movie they could. B+ for effort and good luck on your next film. And to those that felt the need to tear down the creative works of others - let's hope the audience of your creative masterpieces are much nicer to you than you were to these folks.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It keeps you engaged!
ruddycarpio16 August 2018
I really Enjoyed this indie Psychological Thriller. I was very impressed on how the story keeps evolving in unexpected ways. I simply admire filmmakers that keep it simple with one location and two actors, as this is the most difficult to do in storytelling.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Thriller
shivafeb-4790521 July 2018
One must have a good taste to watch such movies. The story was simple and conversation between two people is interesting. You feel thrilled every few minutes. Climax is unexpected.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rave reviews all from new accounts with one review
thedunns-114631 May 2018
Seriously, every single positive review is from a new account with only one posted review, which all are somewhat similar and posted with days of each other. I tried to watch the film but it's so amateurish, it became unbearable. IMDB really needs to figure out how to manage what are obviously shill reviews from people involved with a production. Suggestion to those who post shill or fake reviews: cover your tracks by reviewing more than just your film and attempt some diversity with account names.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misery Loves Company
mentalrev29 July 2019
This is a movie to sink into and let it build, with terrific performances by Tracey Ann Wood as Joyce, the woman alone in the house, and Ryan Wichert as John, the young injured man lost in the woods. What feels like a familiar setup a la MISERY quickly builds it's own unique story line that builds tension a long the way. Things aren't what they seem with Joyce, but perhaps things aren't what they seem with John either.

This movie is much more suspense than horror, it's not a slasher, the tension builds organically not through jump cuts or ploys. Production value is solid and the old house in the moonlight adds to the general sense of doom.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A suspenseful psycho thriller in the vein of Misery!
Anmer9324 July 2019
A suspenseful psycho thriller in the vein of Misery. If your into tense mystery and brooding discomfort this is a real entertaining watch. The cast have a great time and the cinematography has moments of genius.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspenseful and tension filled.
cbax12319 July 2019
A deep psycho drama that centers around the relationship of two complicated characters. It's thrilling, disturbing and gets a lot done for a low budget movie. The tension is eerie and continuously builds toward a climax. I won't say anymore to spoil it!!
Awful
anouskasherriff10 February 2018
I must have watched a completely different film to everyone else who has left a review as i thought this film was absolutely awful The acting was diabolical and the story line was so long and slow I kept thinking to myself "surely it's going to get better by all the 5 star reviews"..NOPE. Please take my advise, avoid this waste of space at all costs.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see psychological thriller
johnapplebee-9594721 January 2019
This psychological thriller reminded me of six sense in a way with the way it ended. Had a little bit of the movie misery in it. The story was unique and the quality was very good. It takes a while for it to get really good because it's building u other story but once it hits its climax it all unfolds really well. A must see
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Really Good Psychological Thriller!
fjstars25 July 2018
I really Enjoy indie films this is no exception. This is more of a Psychological Thriller than horror. Some People find it really hard to watch films with no recognizable stars so they give it a bad review. This sucks for the consumer as well as the filmmaker. There are too many people out there with nothing else to do but spread grief. This film is about a single mother trying to confront her demons to save her home and her family. It is very well acted and deserves a fair shot. I really enjoyed it.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating character study with a satisfying surprise ending.
MatthewTBurns29 May 2018
This quiet, smart film is all atmosphere, mood and character study. The table quickly turns, as we wonder WHO is the "villain," and who is the protagonist. The ending of the film (no spoilers), revealed slowly through the peeling back of layers, is more complex than that, however. Fans of M. Night's earlier work will appreciate this creepy story with a warm heart.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Dignified Ghost Story
TheAll-SeeingI7 December 2018
Brian Barnes' The Redeeming is a smart and shrewdly executed in-the-head thriller. Claustrophobically entombed in what amounts to a single location, the subtle yet at times high-tension acting between two primary characters grab the attention early and hold it throughout. With a unique story of things past, this quiet film leverages solitude and builds suspense by keeping the viewer guessing. This is one to watch in a dark home environment while you allow that environment to merge seamlessly with the intimacy of the darkened house in which this deftly-executed film takes root.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Psycho Thriller with a good ending
caseykilloran19 November 2018
The Redeeming feels like it is inspired by Stephen King's Misery and an Alfred Hitchcock film. The pace is slow but the acting is risky and makes you think about the characters. I really liked the young man. The end has a big pay off.
Creepy Creepy Creepy
matt_martin894 October 2018
Like I said, creepy. It's a slow burn for sure, but the tension builds. By the end I didn't realize my hands were gripping the chair so hard. Could've done with a few more scares but overall I enjoyed it!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A biting psychological thriller.
rob-burrows1-124 September 2018
This tightly woven story conveys more than a moderate amount of suspense. The screenplay, acting and spooky lighting / production values all add up to make it well worth a watch.
Ignore the negative ratings
vegicat7 August 2018
I found this movie to be quite odd, creepy, and very interesting. I think it's more psychological drama than thriller or horror, though. There was just enough weird stuff going on to keep me intrigued until the ending, which made sense plot-wise, but didn't really match the tone of the rest of the movie. I was hoping there'd be another twist.

Thing is, I watched the movie before reading any reviews, so I didn't know it was low budget or a first-time production for some. That said, I wouldn't have been able to tell -- the acting was very good and the writing had a lot of unexpected parts. I've reviewed a ton of movies, so I didn't just score this one highly because I know the producer or something, like several people have suggested. I don't know anyone involved with the film, I genuinely liked the movie. And, will keep an eye out for other movies with the same cast, writer or director.

I think a lot of people read reviews before they watched it, and found out it was low-budget with an amateur production, so they just either nit-picked it to death because of that, or because they are snobs who want to present themselves as being some high-brow critics. I didn't know anything about the movie before I watched it.

It's a shame, because if I'd seen the abysmal IMBD score the nit-picky people have given this movie, I might never have seen it. I have no idea why it's not scored higher...I have seen a lot of films by new filmmakers that were horrible, and this was not one of them. It kept me intrigued and interested the entire time.
Scary and good
andreeaboyer1 August 2018
This Thriller truly goes under the skin. It has scared the blood out of me in its Actions and yet it's so beautifully to be seen. There are many mesmerizing views over the landscapes and especially the sky and the moon scenes combined with the sounds are leading to the next more exciting happenings as she becomes obsessed with her past and her "paranoia" while she is constantly secretly watching her stranger guest who isn't a bad person until he feels that something is wrong with the host when she acts bizarre towards him and her conversations start being deeper as she asks weird random questions and stares at him scary while she prepares her next scary occurrence which is always a surprise. You never know what this woman plans next. I recommend this psychological thriller as it's so related to the reality too. It reminds me to always be careful who I am spontaneously going to visit alone.
Convinced