The Redeeming (2018) Poster

(2018)

Suspenseful Indie thriller
jason-scepter28 September 2019
The Redeeming is a psychological thriller that has a nice slow build of tension as it progresses. It centers around a woman in a home in a remote area who lets a young man in. Interesting twists in turns throughout. Great acting by Tracey Ann Wood and Ryan Wichert.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All you wish a psychological thriller to be, and more
ringthebellsproductions25 August 2019
I love psychological thrillers and this one was so smart and kept me curious (and nervous!) the whole viewing. The acting is amazing, and the script and camera work are crafted in a really intelligent way. Recommended!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent indie, one location thriller
Ink78923 August 2019
Film makes the most of its one location and small cast. Very well executed thriller with shades of the film Misery. I have a a soft spot for films done well with limited resources. This is a smart production from start to finish.
Misery Loves Company
mentalrev29 July 2019
This is a movie to sink into and let it build, with terrific performances by Tracey Ann Wood as Joyce, the woman alone in the house, and Ryan Wichert as John, the young injured man lost in the woods. What feels like a familiar setup a la MISERY quickly builds it's own unique story line that builds tension a long the way. Things aren't what they seem with Joyce, but perhaps things aren't what they seem with John either.

This movie is much more suspense than horror, it's not a slasher, the tension builds organically not through jump cuts or ploys. Production value is solid and the old house in the moonlight adds to the general sense of doom.
Suspense!
kjs114427 July 2019
This is a taut, suspenseful story that presents a fascinating look at a relationship between a woman, and the man who knocks on her door. It keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat for the entire runtime. It kept me glued to the screen. The directing and the writing are excellent. Highly recommended!
Solid psychological thriller
craig-ahrens17 May 2019
A sign of great acting.... it didn't occur to me until I was well into this film that it's basically two main characters. That is how the good the acting is with the actors. The lead actress did an incredible job holding my interest. She plays crazy so well and takes you on a psychological journey. The lead male actor is good too but the lead actress was just absolutely terrific. A go see in my book.
Good Indie Film
vigilant5612 June 2019
I reccomend watching this good psychological Independent thriller! There is never a dull moment.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Dignified Ghost Story
TheAll-SeeingI7 December 2018
Brian Barnes' The Redeeming is a smart and shrewdly executed in-the-head thriller. Claustrophobically entombed in what amounts to a single location, the subtle yet at times high-tension acting between two primary characters grab the attention early and hold it throughout. With a unique story of things past, this quiet film leverages solitude and builds suspense by keeping the viewer guessing. This is one to watch in a dark home environment while you allow that environment to merge seamlessly with the intimacy of the darkened house in which this deftly-executed film takes root.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It keeps you engaged!
ruddycarpio16 August 2018
I really Enjoyed this indie Psychological Thriller. I was very impressed on how the story keeps evolving in unexpected ways. I simply admire filmmakers that keep it simple with one location and two actors, as this is the most difficult to do in storytelling.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful Thriller
shivafeb-4790521 July 2018
One must have a good taste to watch such movies. The story was simple and conversation between two people is interesting. You feel thrilled every few minutes. Climax is unexpected.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An independent film which should be admired!
MADMIKE-9795313 November 2019
It littered with sofa critics and keyboard warriors who have absolutely no conception of how difficult it is to make a feature film, especially on a low budget with a limited amount of locations and actors.

This film is a masterpiece in it's own right. The composition, direction, screenplay and acting was all there for me. I commend everyone who was involved in making this film and will look forward to seeing your future work. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Congratulations!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see psychological thriller
johnapplebee-9594721 January 2019
This psychological thriller reminded me of six sense in a way with the way it ended. Had a little bit of the movie misery in it. The story was unique and the quality was very good. It takes a while for it to get really good because it's building u other story but once it hits its climax it all unfolds really well. A must see
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating character study with a satisfying surprise ending.
NickMondoMedia29 May 2018
This quiet, smart film is all atmosphere, mood and character study. The table quickly turns, as we wonder WHO is the "villain," and who is the protagonist. The ending of the film (no spoilers), revealed slowly through the peeling back of layers, is more complex than that, however. Fans of M. Night's earlier work will appreciate this creepy story with a warm heart.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good indie psychological thriller with a nice and touching twist
antoinepana7 October 2019
The actors are good and the characters they play mysterious. All the way through the movie you want to know if either of them is hiding something and what would that be. As the story unfolds you realize that what could be just another spooky movie is really an interesting therapeutic experiment.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Really Good Psychological Thriller!
fjstars25 July 2018
I really Enjoy indie films this is no exception. This is more of a Psychological Thriller than horror. Some People find it really hard to watch films with no recognizable stars so they give it a bad review. This sucks for the consumer as well as the filmmaker. There are too many people out there with nothing else to do but spread grief. This film is about a single mother trying to confront her demons to save her home and her family. It is very well acted and deserves a fair shot. I really enjoyed it.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A suspenseful psycho thriller in the vein of Misery!
Anmer9324 July 2019
A suspenseful psycho thriller in the vein of Misery. If your into tense mystery and brooding discomfort this is a real entertaining watch. The cast have a great time and the cinematography has moments of genius.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspenseful and tension filled.
cbax12319 July 2019
A deep psycho drama that centers around the relationship of two complicated characters. It's thrilling, disturbing and gets a lot done for a low budget movie. The tension is eerie and continuously builds toward a climax. I won't say anymore to spoil it!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary and good
andreeaboyer1 August 2018
This Thriller truly goes under the skin. It has scared the blood out of me in its Actions and yet it's so beautifully to be seen. There are many mesmerizing views over the landscapes and especially the sky and the moon scenes combined with the sounds are leading to the next more exciting happenings as she becomes obsessed with her past and her "paranoia" while she is constantly secretly watching her stranger guest who isn't a bad person until he feels that something is wrong with the host when she acts bizarre towards him and her conversations start being deeper as she asks weird random questions and stares at him scary while she prepares her next scary occurrence which is always a surprise. You never know what this woman plans next. I recommend this psychological thriller as it's so related to the reality too. It reminds me to always be careful who I am spontaneously going to visit alone.
Convinced
andreeaboyer1 August 2018
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great character study dealing with loss
cjones_iii20 July 2018
First off, great performances by the actors. The lead actress, Tracey Ann Wood was phenomenal. She played out a mix of moments ranging from delirium, sexiness, and sadness effortlessly. The writing supported her efforts as the dialogue flowed well and never felt like it was over the top or heavy handed. I applaud the writer of the film for adding moments of humor into the story as well. The subject matter itself could be a heavy one, but the script allowed for humor, which was refreshing. Found myself laughing out loud several times.

Definitely a good watch, and not something that's readily seen out there. It handles coping with a major loss in a unique way...a fresh take on the subject.
a great starting point
SLKoether12 July 2018
You can see the filmmakers/actors/cast/crew worked hard to make the best movie they could. B+ for effort and good luck on your next film. And to those that felt the need to tear down the creative works of others - let's hope the audience of your creative masterpieces are much nicer to you than you were to these folks.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mysterious Chamber Drama
JGReviews4 February 2019
The Redeeming is about a woman who is home by herself in a remote area when a young man arrives at her door in the middle of the night saying that he is injured and needs help. The woman allows the man in, but we as the audience are unsure if she is safe, particularly since the power is out, there is no phone service, and no one for miles around. What makes The Redeeming an interesting film is that we then start to question the woman's sanity and whether or not the young man should be the one who should be worried for his safety. I enjoyed the mysterious back and forth reveals of each character's true intentions and the film offered some fascinating twists. Ultimately, I found The Redeeming to be a very good indie chamber drama that I would highly recommend.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great character-driven thriller
allen-1251 February 2019
Grounded performances, a tight script, and assured direction keep this suspenseful story humming right along. The actors are fully committed and play off of each other beautifully, nicely complementing this nuanced and engaging dramatic thriller. The tension builds and builds throughout, and a compelling sense of dread permeates every moment. If you're in the mood for an eerie and engrossing film, I highly recommend THE REDEEMING.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Psycho Thriller with a good ending
caseykilloran19 November 2018
The Redeeming feels like it is inspired by Stephen King's Misery and an Alfred Hitchcock film. The pace is slow but the acting is risky and makes you think about the characters. I really liked the young man. The end has a big pay off.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creepy Creepy Creepy
matt_martin894 October 2018
Like I said, creepy. It's a slow burn for sure, but the tension builds. By the end I didn't realize my hands were gripping the chair so hard. Could've done with a few more scares but overall I enjoyed it!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.