During an attack on a U.S. compound in Libya, a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.During an attack on a U.S. compound in Libya, a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.During an attack on a U.S. compound in Libya, a security team struggles to make sense out of the chaos.
I am well versed on the facts as provided by the MSM however, as someone in the biz I also know that the fly in the ointment are the facts.
1. The firing of mortars is an art and the mortar launcher has to be anchored to the ground or every mortar will land off target. The mortars landing on the CIA compound are dead accurate and also require spotters to assist with any corrections.
2. Aviano AB, Italy is about 2-hours away. Had they been launched, even if only to do a low fly-by, would have driven off the attackers; just like I used them in Iraq in Mosul, Tikrit, and Baghdad. I don't know why the Commander of the 555 (Triple Nickel) didn't launch. It's one of the big questions that remain unanswered by the media or the movie.
3. Hillary's statement that, "Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided they'd go kill some Americans?" was a red herring. Because it was neither. As later testimony bore out, it was a planned, coordinated, terrorist attack on the anniversary of 9/11.
4. All UAS aircraft are armed. As stated in the movie could have assisted in the defense of the embassy or the CIA compound.
5. General Ham, AfricaCom CC is someone I worked with in Mosul in 2004 for 6-months. Good guy and I know from my experience he would not hesitate to act if allowed. One day he'll give an interview and get his whole story. Can't wait...
Rick274 Colonel (Retired) 274ASOS/CC
- Jan 19, 2016