Don't Breathe (2016) Poster

(2016)

An incredibly intense thriller
moviewizguy17 March 2016
Fede Alvarez just gave Green Room a run for its money with Don't Breathe, an incredibly intense film and glorious exercise in suspense. It's one of the best studio-produced thrillers I've seen in years. The premise is simple: A group of teens plans to break into a blind man's house to steal his money. Only thing, the old man is more adept than they realize. While the setup is a little too pedestrian, albeit economical, once the story gets rolling, the film doesn't let up, running at a lean 88 minutes. Other than that, Don't Breathe is best viewed going in knowing as little as possible.

This is Alvarez's first film in three years since his violent and solid remake of Evil Dead, and it is with this sophomoric debut that solidifies the genre filmmaker as someone with obvious talent. Inspirations are drawn from the best - Hitchcock, Fincher, and Wait Until Dark are a few - but Alvarez provides his own unique vision that truly makes the film his own. Like the masters before him, Don't Breathe is purely cinematic, relying less on dialogue and more on visual storytelling and sound to drive the film. The cinematography is amazing as well as the creative sound design, so much so they are characters within the film themselves.

The cast, while small, is great too, including Jane Levy, who can pretty much be titled this generation's scream queen after this and Evil Dead. Dylan Minnette is good in his role as well, providing enough sympathy for his character. Both young actors are put through hell, and their physical performances sell their tumultuous ordeal convincingly. However, it is Stephen Lang who is the film's shining beacon. As the antagonist, Lang is instantly memorable and frightening, an intimidating force that permeates throughout the film even in scenes without his presence.

If there's one gripe about the film, there's a plot twist that doesn't quite work, but that itself is a minor complaint compared to the many things the film gets right and does so well. I won't say more. Don't Breathe is a technical achievement, the rare studio film that actually pushes what film can do as a medium. However, like with Green Room, try not to get caught up in the hype, even with my glowing review. Set your expectations appropriately, and remember to avoid watching the trailer.
221 out of 343 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Morons vs a blind man.
Scunner18 November 2017
Three unlikable morons break into a blind man's house to steal his money. These are supposed to be the protagonists we're rooting for. Being morons they then proceed to alert the blind man to their presence whereupon said blind man disarms the most egregiously moronic of the three and dispatches him forthwith. At this stage the other two morons have ample opportunity to escape by breaking through the massive unbarred windows right next to where they are standing, but for plot reasons this doesn't occur to them. Neither does distracting the blind man by throwing any of the many objects located throughout the house, or indeed throwing them at him or simply hitting him with them. Because they're morons. And then some other moronic stuff happened before I decided life was too short to waste on moronic crap like this and turned it off before the end.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a film without strong follow-through on its premise
Quinoa198431 August 2016
Don't Breathe is a grisly, unpleasant exploitation film about characters that you don't like going up against a man who is at first somewhat sympathetic and then turns out to be a ridiculous mess of a (human) monster, and it's directed with some skill. I almost wish it had been made with greater sleaze or a total abandon for logic and taste and become a complete Grindhouse exercise, but the problem for me with the film is that director Fede Alvarez - again collaborating with Evil Dead producers Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert - wants to have it both ways, to have characters that, as the audience, you don't really like or have sympathy for so you don't have to worry *too* much once the psycho ex-military Zatoichi man is getting his payback... until he wants you to like them.

There's this sense in the movie that it's dancing with a grey area of having strong, morally ambiguous characterizations - you'll feel one way about the young woman Rocky and her compatriots Alex and "Money" (yeah, that's his name, like a thug on SVU or something), but maybe not everyone will feel that way until the peril and suspense and terror kicks in. That's fine, as well as it is with the antagonist (who, in the alternate movie that may exist of his story, he's the protagonist). But the problem is that the characters are set in a realistic horror-thriller situation and yet they carry that Dumb Movie Character logic that carries little logic at all.

This isn't the case for all of the film, and for the first half I was with it... up to a point. It's certainly got some logic gaps that you got to suspend disbelief for, and things like 'why if this blind ex-military man has all this money is he on the only house on a dilapidated Detroit city block with no one else living there, like out of Stephen King's Roadwork or something. And the filmmaker and his DP carry a lot of heft when it comes to the direction and the look of the film: they know how to bring an audience in by moving the camera in creative ways, having staging that makes sense, and pacing (in these early scenes) that makes things intense for us just as much as the characters... again, up to a point.

And then the movie decides to... well, here's where spoilers kick in: the guy (he doesn't have a name so Sgt Hartman-Zatoichi works well) is not simply some old dude living by his lonesome having lost a daughter to a fatal hit and run. No, he has his special set of I-can-kill-you-with-my-hands-or-my-guns, AND more than that is the reveal that in his basement there's a lair for the woman who hit his daughter who... he is also keeping locked up as she is knocked up with his child so that he can replace his dead daughter and... this comes into play even more terrifyingly in the last minutes when the girl Rocky gets in his grasp and... Jesus Christ movie! It's around here, or just before give or take around the moment when you think a character's been stabbed with a pair of gardening shears but it's revealed he is still alive(?!) (and this after seemingly to already be dead from a no-one-survives-that-s*** fall through a window), that the movie goes into Full Stupid and lazy territory.

Again, I wish that if Don't Breathe leaped into completely crazy and bonkers terrain, but it doesn't have the courage for that; it's caught in this nexus of trying to be a legitimately creepy and fearful experience done with direction that tries to sometimes call back to things like Fincher's Panic Room (also a 'bottle' one-location scenario), and being a movie with full on exploitation (the title recalls for me Edgar Wright's DON'T trailer from the actual Grindhouse experience), featuring characters we don't care about that are basically drawn (though with some real emotion from the actress playing Rocky) and thrown into nightmarish, violent set pieces.

I don't like when a filmmaker cheats me with information that's dealt out to me. I don't like having the rug pulled out from under me even if it's something that I should take for granted like a character survives something they shouldn't of or a character doesn't kill someone when they have ample opportunity to (you'll know the moment, or moments, when they come). I leave Don't Breathe feeling rather empty and angry instead of elated, which terrifying movies can do - see Green Room earlier this year, also about characters caught way in over their heads, for a much greater example of this - but its ugliness is in multiple ways: in how it treats rape and sexual assault (it ends up being a cheap out to having a stronger 2nd/3rd act), in how it treats bodily wounds (come on man), the logic of having a home security system at all if there's, you know, a RAPE DUNGEON in your basement, and how it treats sound design. Yes, for a movie like this the sound design gets weak after a while.
145 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stephen Lang is perfect, the movie very suspenseful.
Veteransson12 January 2017
Three burglars find out about a blind army vet, living in an abandoned street, sitting on a huge amount of cash. The three burglars break their rule of not stealing cash and decide to rob the place, thinking it would be a piece of cake. And of course it isn't. The blind army vet isn't as helpless as they had hoped for.

Don't Breathe is directed by Fede Alvarez, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Rodo Sayagues. They obviously felt inspired by David Fincher's Panic Room (2002), and did come up with a great, suspenseful movie. The three burglars are played by Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto, who all do a great job. Stephen Lang however outshines everyone in this movie as the old blind man. He doesn't say a lot but his gestures and mimics were enough to be uncomfortably creepy. Even though he played a blind guy, he still made his character seem anything but helpless, on the contrary, his character was more menacing than any ghost, monster or murderer from your average horror movie. On the other hand however, you feel sorry for the blind man. He's simply a man trying to protect his house from burglars. Or is there more behind this man? The movie does a good job making you wonder about whether the blind man has something to hide or not. The movie does a poorer job however with Daniel Zovatto's character, he's the typical character every horror movie has: the asshole that talks too much and doesn't care about anything or anyone.

Besides one or two cheap jump scares, the movie succeeded at maintaining a lingering suspense throughout the entire movie. Once the three burglars are inside the house, there won't be a moment that you'll feel at ease. This is an edge-of-your-seat kind of movie. The movie opens with a scene that obviously takes place later in the movie, which alerts you that until that scene, the burglars will never be safe, and heightens the suspense even more.

As the movie progresses, the twists and turns in the story start to accumulate. Twists and turns in a story are great but not if there are too many, and not if these twist and turns are the ones you might expect from a horror movie. Throughout its course, the movie becomes more and more predictable. And this is where the suspense, although still being present, lessens.

'Don't Breathe' is a great horror movie, accessible for people who don't usually enjoy the genre. It has a great premise and is very suspenseful but becomes a bit too predictable over time.
45 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent thriller with too many plot holes
samslaydon2 September 2016
I would certainly classify this as more of a thriller than a horror film. Horror films can get away with stretching the imagination more than most films and since this was more of a thriller, in my opinion, there were too many such "stretches". Some plot elements were adequately covered early in the film. For instance, Rocky wants the money so she can escape to the west coast...check. The antagonist can drag a person down the middle of the street because it was established via GoPro camera that there is no traffic in that neighborhood...check. He keeps the girl in the cellar to give birth to a new daughter...check. But the bad points outweigh the good...1 - Why is it assumed that the guy has a huge amount of cash in his house just because he got a settlement for his daughter's death? Oh, he's weird so he doesn't have a bank account? The cash in his home should have been based on a better premise. 2 - The guy is in the same room with two of the kids that break into his home and even passes by them in the hall, but can't smell them. However, he walks into the kitchen and discovers they're there by smelling their shoes...ridiculous. 3 - In most of the film the guy is feeling the walls and stumbling around the house as a blind person would normally have to, but he appears out of nowhere fairly quickly to corner the thieves...whatever. 4 - The guy has a person trapped in his basement, yet he has an alarm to trigger the police in case of a break-in...good Lord. 5 - Despite the lack of sterilization and proper obgyn attention, he impregnates this girl with a basting syringe and sperm he keeps in a basement fridge...come on. I could name more, but I'll stop there. Yeah...yeah...yeah, it wouldn't be a thriller without those elements, you say? Nonsense. These are implausible twisting of facts, yet most accept this as good, if not great, filmmaking. Please.
52 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant directed, riveting thriller !!!
avik-basu188918 December 2016
The central theme lying at the heart of 'Don't Breathe' is the sense of claustrophobia, a sense of being trapped/imprisoned. The director shows us a number of appropriate images like window bars, bars outside gates, prison like shadows being cast by Venetian blinds,etc. to drive home the theme. This theme resonates both in a literal sense with the kids being imprisoned in the house that they had planned to rob in the first place, as well as on a broader symbolic level because it is made clear that these youngsters aspire to break out of the 'prison' of life in a financially ailing Detroit and head for California.

This film at the heart of it is an exploitation film and certain details get revealed with the passage of time that in keeping with the genre of exploitation cinema, flirt with lack of realism and force you to suspend disbelief a bit. But what made it very easy for me to suspend disbelief and go along with the ride was Fede Alvarez's direction. Without his masterful directorial skills and storytelling, this film will not work, full stop. He elevates the film. The Giallo inspired visual texture that he uses with the red and green neon lights not just makes the film look vibrant, but also serves a thematic purpose. His camera is extremely active and he makes use of space in the interiors of the house skilfully. He uses extended long takes to raise the tension and his use of ambient noises and music is subtle and brilliant. The very first shot of the film itself is masterful in the way the camera moves from an overhead position gradually to a ground level one to reveal what's happening along with a gradual rise in the volume of the music.

Stephen Lang has to be admired for his performance. He brings a very raw, masculine physicality to his demeanour that truly makes him terrifying at times.

I think this is one of the best directed horror/thriller films I have seen for some time. It doesn't spend too much time in developing its characters. Both the sides in the conflict are not worth unconditional sympathy. The youngsters are low time criminals and the blind man is not someone worth sympathy either once certain details about his life and mental condition get revealed. I guess it was intentional on the director's part to stage the film with a degree of moral ambiguity where the viewer doesn't fully care for either of the two parties and in the end it works within the exploitation film framework.

To end, I'll say 'Don't Breathe' is a film that I would recommend more for the direction than for the script itself.
59 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very infuriating film to watch and extremely cliché
a_glaysher15 October 2016
I was looking forward to watching this film, but after the first 20 minutes or so, I found myself shouting at the screen because of the ridiculousness of it all. After the break in, and initially being HEARD by the blind guy, they spent half the time stood around like lemons and sneaking around. I must have counted 8 opportunity's for them to grab something and knock the guy

out, but did they, no. They proceeded to sneak around while be stalked by this guy who couldn't see. It took them until the last 15 minutes to actually find the brains to actually grab a weapon and hit him with it. It was so comically unrealistic that it ruined the rest of the film for me, because it actually got better half way through once they got caught. If you don't like unrealistic and cliché films I would recommend avoiding this one.
59 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blinded by stupidity
miketantarelli11 September 2016
I was so stoked to see this movie. All the horror websites I visit all said it was awesome, can't miss it, must see, best horror/suspense/thriller in years. Well I'll give them credit, it was suspenseful. But not because of the acting, or the plot, or the setting. It was suspenseful because you never knew what stupid thing the main characters were going to do next. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see the next mistake. This movie was a joke. I have never been so disappointed with a movie I was so excited to see. After the girl escaped the house and was pinned in the car by Cujo, you knew the Blind Man was going to get her again. I was amazed at how much trouble these three people had with an old blind man. It doesn't matter that it was in his environment. Who cares. It was an old blind man for gods sake. Once he killed the first guy all bets are off. You attack him. You find something heavy, wait around a corner, set him up by making a little noise and BAM!!! hit him in the head. Get what u came for, and leave. They made this guy seem like Daredevil and Rambo rolled into one, with a little bit of The People Under The Stairs thrown in there. I understand movies are not real life, they are stories. But this movie was about something that could happen. This could be a real life scenario. But there were just too many stupid moments to take it seriously. You knew this was all make believe. You knew it was fake, just a story, just another movie. It was just a movie, and not a very good one. If you want to get frustrated while watching something, then this is the movie for you. If that doesn't sound like your idea of a good time, to me it doesn't, I recommend skipping this flick. You're not missing anything, unlike if you watch it, because then you'll miss about 90 minutes of your life.
54 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edge of your Seat Suspense,
lesleyharris3026 September 2016
Don't Breath is a great movie with a very well developed plot and a stellar cast. It is an absolute thrill ride, from the moment we enter this man's house there is a tension that does not go away, it never becomes tiring. It had me at the edge of my seat from start to finish, as we quickly gain support for these thieves as they get caught up in a bad situation.

It did, on the other hand, make some cliché plot developments. There are some moments that were so typical they took me away from a movie that was clearly trying to stand out, but was clearly forced by the studio to have some predictable plot points.

The cast is phenomenal and their chemistry with one another added to the suspense. Jane Levy and Dylan Minnette were very believable as down on their luck teenagers. The star of the show, however, is without a doubt Stephen Lang, a completely engrossing performance of a ruthless man with no soul, I believe it will go down as the highlight of his career.

The intimacy of the film is the main thing that makes it so fresh and interesting as a thriller, if it was taking place around a city or in a town it would not be half as suspenseful as having it all take place in a house. An intense adventure, Don't Breathe is a refreshing movie that certainly stands out from the crowd, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good thriller.

A group of teenagers break in to a blind man's home in order to rob his possessions, however, they soon realise he is far smarter than they thought.

Best Performance: Stephen Lang
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened to horror?
SlyGuy2110 September 2016
It's pretty rare that I get hyped for horror movies, especially modern ones, but I was a little hyped for this. I thought the premise was interesting, and it had potential to be scary. I wouldn't call this a disappointment, because it misses the bare basics of what makes a good horror movie. Next to comedy, horror is probably the hardest genre to get right, the most important aspect a horror movie needs is relatable characters. If the audience can connect with the people on screen, it evokes this fear of them dying, so when they eventually do die, the audience doesn't want it to happen. Think of great horror movies with relatable characters; "Aliens", "The Thing", "Halloween", "Vacancy", "The Descent", just to name a few. Apparently writing good characters for horror movies is harder than dividing by zero, because these characters might as well be cardboard. There are three victims, one's a jerk, one's selfish, one's apprehensive, that is all. They never change, and we aren't properly introduced to them, so I certainly didn't care when they started dying. Also, one of them gets killed like 4 times, but I'll get to that later. I don't sympathize with these characters, even though I can sort of understand their mindsets, because they're never given a chance to change.

My second major problem, you can't see anything. The movie is so dark, I thought my eyes were closed half the time. Not being able to see something doesn't make it scary, it makes the audience confused and only adds frustration. As a result of this darkness, I can barely tell what happened to the characters, what they see, what they do, so how am I supposed to be scared if I can't tell what the hell's going' on? The action scenes are also edited poorly, which makes it look like one of the characters dies 4 times. How is it that "The Descent" (a movie that was dark because it was in a cave) had better lighting than something filmed above ground? Was a little light too much to ask, or was it meant to represent the killer's lack of vision?

You want to know what the twist is? Are you sure you want to know? Are you positive? Are you sitting down? The blind guy's keeping a girl in his basement so she can have his kid. Calm down, I know it's super freakin' intense, except it's not. What movie advertises it's twist? Do you realize how stupid that is? It's ruins the point of the twist. Imagine if the trailer for "The Usual Suspects" had the twist in the trailer, how about "Se7en", it would've ruined the suspense. This movie thinks it's so high and mighty all because of the twist, a twist that adds nothing to the movie. I still don't care about the characters, I don't connect with them, I don't sympathize with them, and I still can't see anything.

Whoever called this the best horror film in 20 years was either paid off, or he's only seen "Saw" and "Hostel" movies. This offers nothing new, nothing fresh, nothing unique. It's just 80 minutes of complete darkness, stupid characters, and a twist that adds nothing to the story, so basically, it's a modern "horror" movie. I miss real horror.
114 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many flaws.
daniel-halloran17 September 2016
We thought the cinematography, casting and acting were exceptional, and worth seeing. The story, however, has too many flaws. The dog would have awakened the man and put him on guard. How on earth would a blind man track down, capture, and enslave in a block and tackle harness, the woman who killed his daughter in an accident? Without being seen? How could any man survive multiple brutal attacks, including several swinging sledge hammer blows to the head? The police would have identified the blood spatter DNA from both the captive woman and the escaped woman (Jane Levy), seen the block and tackle harness, and not simply closed the case as a blind hero successfully dealing with only two robbers; they would have pursued those leads, even in Mayberry! With a little more work on those issues, this could have been a real classic.
41 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story makes no sense.
imamonstre31 December 2016
How did this film (and I struggle to call it that) receive so many stars?! THAT is the real mystery here! The story centres around 3 kids who break into houses. Two are dating, and the third-wheel is a quasi-moral-objector who follows along because he thinks he's in love with the girl. The girl clearly strings him along, and her scumbag boyfriend even mentions this to the beta about how he needs to keep himself in the friendzone where his "b*tch" put him. Yes, that's how he refers to his girlfriend. There's a really pathetically hamfisted attempt at making us feel some sort of sympathy for this trailer trash princess.. because she has a crummy home life? Because her mom is rude and has a guy-friend staying with them and asks her to go buy a frozen pizza? Are our hearts supposed to bleed? This somehow makes it okay that this girl chooses to be in a relationship with a thug, while consciously stringing along a seemingly nice guy (in comparison) ... and it's okay that she chooses a life of breaking and entering instead of getting a fast food job (I'm from Detroit. Fast food restaurants still exist.) or something of the like? She looks down on her mom, but all we can see is her mom being a typical piece of foul-mouthed trailer trash sitting around on the couch. SHE is the one out there committing crimes.

Anyway, back to this nonsense story. They break into the house of a blind army vet. A rich girl ran over and killed his daughter and he settled with the family for a large sum of money. They decided (for whatever reason) that he kept this large sum of money in his home. In the middle of the hood. Okay. Clearly a logical assumption (based on NOTHING. seriously. they just decided he kept the money in his house and there's nothing that lead them to this belief. He's an amercian citizen and a vet and he wouldn't use a bank? oh okay.) They break in and scumbag boyfriend is the first to die. They all act like fumbling fools and somehow this blind as hell old guy WHO HAS NO IDEA WHEN THEY'RE STANDING INCHES AWAY FROM HIM can magically locate and harm/kill them.

So the friend-zoned beta ended up leaving, because he never wanted to do any of this anyway. But after he heard the gunshot he went back to save his trailer trash princess. Why? Who not immediately call the police? Why sneak back into the house? He sneaks back in and trailer trash princess is hiding in the closet. He tries to talk her into calling the cops but she says no because she saw where this old blind guy hid his fortune and she wants it all to herself.

They end up in the basement where they find that this guy has been keeping a hostage. The rich girl who ran over his daughter. Friend-zoned beta once again tries to talk the girl into calling the cops but she doesn't want to because she says "ya but then we'll have to give back the money" She has no morals. Yet he listens to her. He went back to save someone with no morals. I couldn't care less about this film anymore.

Old guy ends up killing the hostage, and beta. Trailer trash girl gets away with the money. I fast-forwaded at this point. She's in the airport ready to "start a new life" and sees on the news this guy is being wheeled away in an ambulance reporting that he shot and killed 2 intruders and thank god he's okay. Trailer trash girl doesn't care, naturally. Are we supposed to be happy for her? She's gonna go off and live her life and not tell the truth about what happened? What about rich girl's family? They never get to find out what happened to their kid? IMPORTANT THINGS THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE how did this blind guy get this rich girl into his home? how did he get her into the basement (it wasn't a proper staircase!!!!!!!!!!!) and get her tied up with all the lighting set up juuuuuuuuuuust right. How did a blind guy set up such a great little hostage space? AND LET'S GO BACK TO, HOW THE HELL DID AN OLD BLIND GUY GET THIS YOUNG GIRL INTO HIS HOME. HE'S IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GHETTO, HE'S BLIND. HE CAN'T DRIVE. HOW WAS HE ABLE TO KIDNAP THE RICH GIRL?????????? i can't get over that! hahaha it's so stupid! this movie is stupid. the story is stupid. the characters aren't likable. i don't know, i want my time back.
105 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unstoppable tension
thedude0031 March 2016
After Evil Dead's well-made remake, a lot of us felt that Fede Alvarez was a director to watch. With Don't Breathe, he definitely became a director I'm very excited to see future projects from.

I admire his knack to generate tension. After the film kicks off, there is really no stopping. It became almost unbearable at the end, nearly reaching the point of overkill. When you have a thriller filled with so much tension throughout its running time, there's only so much you can do before you start yelling "you gotta be kidding me" at the screen.

The cinematography was beautiful and moody and the performances were fine, except maybe Jane Levy, who I felt was too wooden, making her character a little bit unlikable.

Don't Breathe was a solid effort and a great addition to the home invasion genre with a little twist.
113 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fede Alvarez puts on a masterclass on how to craft a suspenseful film
rafaytherman28 August 2016
Let's break it down, shall we?

What makes a thriller good? It's the suspense, the nail-biting, tense situations the film presents that have the audience at the edge of their seats at all times. And I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that this film delivers just that. Whenever you feel like the scene is over, and that you have some breathing room, BOOM! Fede drops the characters in a much worse predicament, with the excellent and diverse score by Roque Baños pounding in the background. The score of the film elevates each scene and as the film progresses, the movie raises the bar and ups the ante with each passing moment. Once the characters enter the house, the film always has you in a vice grip and never lets go. It makes you feel what the characters are feeling; their dread, their helplessness; and that is a testament to how great a director, Fede is.

Let's move on to the actors. So the main cast consists of Stephen Lang, Jane Levy and Dylan Minnette, and each of them nailed their role. Stephen Lang, sir, hats off to you. The man looks like a bad ass without even trying. That's just what Mr. Lang is, a bad ass. But his performance in this film was much more nuanced. You could see that he was a much more complex character. He showed vulnerability, sadness, anger, depression and hopelessness, all through facial expressions, as his role did not require extensive dialogue. He was the star of the film. But equally so was Jane Levy. Now if you're a huge fan of her, like me, you've probably seen Evil Dead and all three seasons of Suburgatory, and you already know that she's a very diverse actress. But in this film, she took her performance to another level. The dread in her eyes, the anguish, as well as the determination to do what she had to do in the film, all were portrayed so well through physical acting and body language, and the same could be said for Dylan Minette's performance. A+'s all around.

Overall, I can confidently say, this is the best film I've experienced in the cinema, this year. Give this film all the money you can. These people deserve it. Thank you to everyone involved, for this experience.
143 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unbelievable thriller
sgriff2255525 August 2016
I just got back from a premiere screening and here are my thoughts.

DON'T READ REVIEWS FOR THIS FILM!!!

Avoid trailers and movie clips too. Avoid anything that could be a spoiler.

The less you know the better the film will be.

If you're a horror/thriller fan GO SEE THIS RIGHT NOW. You will be very glad you did.

The film was exhilarating, tense, eerie, and exhausting, with an amazing score.

Thank you Alvarez.

Now to try to sleep...
67 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely ANNOYING. An Insult to intellect & common sense
ccrisss1 September 2017
I have never bothered to write a review for any movie (good or bad) until now.

I've watched some very artsy weird indie movies, and a lot more awful mainstream movies, but this one compelled me to react because of its UNDESERVED rating & glowing reviews!

I can't remember the last time a movie annoyed the hell out of me by its sheer stupidity. I am appalled at how it begs you to suspend disbelief, insulting your intelligence throughout, and offering no redeeming quality whatsoever.

I know it's "just a movie", we're asked to set aside logic and believe the unbelievable for the sake of enjoyment, BUT the stupidity made it difficult to enjoy. and the story is not even fantasy, sci-fi or anything supernatural to warrant extreme suspension of disbelief.

This is just a BURGLARY OF THE MOST EPIC MORONIC PROPORTIONS it's almost a comedy. I would even count an alien invasion more realistic than this preposterous plot!

The movie revolved around the UTTER STUPIDITY of those 3 lowlifes. Don't get me started on the old blind man who seemed to be Daredevil gone mental (who turns on lights in his house he couldn't even see). He might actually be a mutant, that's how he managed to pull off everything. And of course they had to force in a disgusting scene just to bring some so-called twist to somehow salvage their horrible plot and lack of decent script, it's pathetic and desperate.

I hated ALL the characters, especially the dumb EVIL greedy gold-digging hypocritical woman who would sacrifice her soul and others for money. and she's supposed to be the protagonist?? what a joke. I wanted her to be tortured. There is NO ONE you could root for, no one you would want to stay alive, except maybe for the dog. Had the dog massacred the woman I would've been a tiny bit satisfied but no, the absurdity continued to its pathetic conclusion that had me wishing someone could've just dropped a bomb at the start and be done with them all.

This is not about some minor plot holes we can overlook. The whole thing, yes the WHOLE THING is so RIDICULOUS that try as you may to shut off your brain from protesting, it's just not possible, at least not for me.
36 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Intense and Suspenseful Thriller
mzaighamabbas26 December 2016
Fede Alvarez does it again. The director of the renowned horror film "Evil Dead," brings to you a piece of excellence that will have you hold your breath throughout this morality thriller – "Don't Breathe." It is an exquisite play that plays with the audience's integrity and the will to do the right thing while conveying the story in such a way that we feel helpless and uneasy the same way that the protagonists on screen do.

Alvarez made a lot of smart decisions in the making of this film and one of these decisions was choosing the right cast. He was really wise to reunite himself with the star of "Evil Dead," Jane Levy, an actress who is fearless at any given situation, and he was even wiser to cast Stephen Lang, an astounding actor for decades, who brilliantly portrays quite a challenging role here. Alvarez and his team give a remarkable visual representation of the story just by the exquisite sense of geography throughout the film, keeping in mind almost the whole film is a one- setting implementation thriller.

Here is a short insight of the film and what you're going to expect. The story starts off with the audience getting to know the three protagonists of the film: Rocky (Levy), her boy friend Money (Daniel Zovatto), and wanna-be boyfriend, Alex (Dylan Minnette). These three teen crooks rob houses in the wealthy suburbs in Detroit for some easy cash, however Alex's dad manages a security company that gives them the access to most of the alarm systems installed in houses they plan to rob, which means a lot less of "breaking" in breaking & entering. Rocky lives in a dump with her innocent sister, corrupt mother, and her mother's formidable boyfriend.

Since we're discussing the insights on individual characters of the story, it would be the perfect time to point out one of the drawbacks to this film. The reason many horror films always feel incomplete is because they don't have a solid background story to build up to an intense climax; rather they're just a continuity of techniques to give a sense of fear to the audience. This is what distinguished "Don't Breathe" compared to the other horror films… till this point. Even though Alvarez shed a good amount of light on Rocky, and the blind man (Lang) later on, he didn't give enough insight on Alex and Money and that's to the film's disadvantage since the audience was not able to fully understand the character traits that define that specific role. You could feel Alvarez was rushing to the "good part" of the story however the "good part" could have been better if he took time to give an understanding on these two protagonists.

Getting back to the gist of the film, the three teenagers are sick of quickie robberies so they hope for a better job that could possibly change their future and to their luck, Money uncovered an easy gig, which is to steal a good amount of money that sits in a safe in a blind veteran's house. With this money, Money and Rocky, along with her sister, plan to move away to California in hope for a better life. It seems like an easy job to rob a blind old man who lives alone with the access to his alarm system; what could go wrong?

As mentioned before, the integrity of the audience is at question throughout the film since you wouldn't opt for teenagers to rob a helpless blind old man. But is he that helpless? The low-level criminals underestimated the blind veteran and that resulted in a not very fruitful situation for Rocky, Alex, and Money. However the moral complexity takes a back seat after a significant plot twist towards the end of the story. Trying to refrain from any spoilers, let's just say that the blind old man is a definite villain for a very disturbing situation.

Overall this has been a great thriller that you will surely love to watch again and again without losing even a bit of interest every time you watch it. The battle of wills between the protagonists and the antagonists is the headline of the film and the wonderful cinematography creates a frightful atmosphere for the audience to get engaged in. The icing on the cake has to be the various plot twists here and there, which keep you wondering what would happen next and of course have you hold your breath.
36 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
Ikon6624 November 2016
Spoiler: this movie is the equivalent of gargling dirty toilet water. I'm so tired of the same stupid back and forth, predictable as always, flaming garbage bag fire movies. I've never left a review and had to set up an account to do this. That is how stupid this movie is. I would rather watch a movie of someone peeling an orange with the fire alarm going off for 2 hours then ever watch this movie again. Seriously, don't waste your time. Read a book, watch literally anything else, start a fight club with your neighbors in your back yard. Go to the store and buy 12 pizzas, some pizza rolls and make 47 tacos and sit outside and watch the grass grow. It will be far less annoying and more entertaining than watching this. You would have more fun power washing your small intestines.
49 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ridiculous Plot
leiser185 September 2016
Don't Breathe is certainly no Hitchcock or even a Guillermo del Toro film. The plot is implausible and far-fetched. It started out okay, but then anyone who pays attention to details will notice its many flaws and goofs. Several of them have already been listed in the IMDb, but the biggest flaw, I think, is about the dog. When the trio first comes to the house, the dog is chained. They drug the dog and he slumbers in his dog house. Later, all of the sudden the dog is in the house. How did he get rid of the chain and how did he get into the house? No doggy door, bars on the window, etc. Towards the end of the movie, when the girl traps the dog in her car and tries to escape, the blind guy catches her and drags her by the hair back to the house. He leaves his dog behind in the car? Obviously, the dog must have been barking. And when the girl finally does escape, there's no mentioning of the car or the dog. The other plot twist I had a problem with is that the blind guy kidnaps the woman that supposedly killed his daughter in a car accident, impregnates her and thus wanting to replace his dead child. It's ludicrous to think that a blind man could take of an infant. Even if the woman could have carried the child to term, how was she going to give birth with a blind man as a midwife, in a cellar? The only explanation for this part of the movie is that the blind guy was deranged. Oh, and yes, even though he was hit with a sledge hammer, he was hardly injured. I don't understand the big hype about this so-called thriller. To me it's a bunch of crap. If you want to waste your time and money, go see it and judge for yourself. You'd be better of watching a real thriller by Guillermo del Toro or one from the master himself, Alfred Hitchcock.
48 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just wasn't impressed.
linearcombinations-4218710 September 2016
Maybe I'm growing out of horror movies, but this just doesn't do it for me anymore. If you're going to go for realistic, then go for realistic. If you're going for supernatural, go for supernatural. But don't try to mix the two, unless you do it more tastefully like the first two Paranormal Activity shows.

I didn't like the lighting (or lack of). Obviously this is to be expected in a dark house of a blind guy. Maybe that's why we need less horror movies that take place in dark houses. I'm sure the underlying motive is to make the scenery relatable to the average person, but come on. Oh, and he turns out to be a crazy pervert, what are the odds? Maybe it's just so we feel bad for the idiotic kids who thought it was a good idea to rob a house in a ghost town.

I heard this movie was good and was thoroughly disappointed. Maybe I'm having a rough day and am not in the business of being scared by anything - not even a turkey-baster-wielding blind guy.
81 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb and dumber against a blind man
trans_mauro15 October 2016
A rating higher than 2 for a film like this one either means that

a) The average IQ of the population dropped below 70 b) The review are fake or submitted by family members of the people involved with this piece of junk.

In which planet, dimension, galaxy three healthy individuals are overpowered by one blind guy?

And the girl in the basement subplot was an imbecilic attempt of padding the film with extra violence porn.

The whole film is a succession of stupider and stupider decisions by the main protagonists, that is all there is to it.

It is disappointing to realize what passes as entertainment these days...
80 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is HORRIBLE!!
jvallecer9 December 2016
If you're looking for a thriller where the protagonist sacrifices her "friends'" lives in an effort to steal a few bucks from a deranged blind man, then this is the movie for you. She cries out to God for help after two of her friends die (one which is presumed dead) and does not let go of the money she's stole for the ENTIRE movie when the man that loves her does everything in his power to help her get free. Then the writers makes it appear as if she's defeated some sort of evil when she could've freed herself and sought real justice for the woman that was held prisoner. This movie has NO protagonist... No one to root for. I wish all of the characters died or ended up in prison.

So remember kids, if you love money enough and you're willing to do anything for it, to include letting your friends die, then you will succeed in life.
64 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
john_seater7 September 2016
An excessively positive description of the plot would be routine, boring, and improbable. A more balanced description would add that it is stupid, idiotic, moronic, and imbecilic. Over and over the heroes, who really are scum, never get the idea to distract the blind guy by throwing something to the other side of the room. It never occurs to them to smash out a window and escape through it. It never occurs to them to trip the guy. It never occurs to them to pick up things to use as weapons, even though appropriate objects are lying all over the place and indeed are picked up by the blind guy. Near the end, how does the blind guy run way down the street straight for his victim? Is he really Batman, able to echo-locate? Especially after one of the scum/heroes has bashed his head repeatedly with a 2-pound maul. When the police come near the end, wouldn't they have been a mite curious about the basement prison cell the blind guy had constructed?

The photography is truly terrible. Most of the time you can't see what is going on because the action mostly takes place in the dark. Oddly, the blind guy has enough dim lights on so that you can see people moving around but not enough to see anything clearly. Later, the blind guy turns off the lights, but why did he have them on in the first place? He's blind, so why spend the money on the electricity? Why does this routine 1920s-style small house have so many strange shafts, both vertical and horizontal? How did the blind guy kidnap the young woman who killed his daughter? How did he get all those mattresses and bondage equipment to build the cell? How did the blind guy get rid of the dead girl's body? There was a scene that I think depicted that, but like most of the movie, it was too dark to figure out what he was doing.

Why not bash the dog's head in with a chair or frying pan or something?

Why spend any more time on this worthless waste of time?
79 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I created an account for this...
feedthe_goat16 August 2017
This movie was so shockingly bad that I created an IMDb account simply so I could write a review...not only that - I also put down my smartphone and logged in via Desktop so I could post it!

I sit through most films until the bitter end no matter how dire, but I had to implement a strong 3 strikes policy with "Don't Breathe", and I made it to around the 42nd minute mark!

**Strike 1** The 3 kids are able to break into these lavish houses because the main protagonist's father owns a security company that manages the security of these homes. How does the kid gain access? Well, luckily the head of said security company leaves all the keys, access codes and addresses of his clients in the desk drawer of his unlocked office.

Don't worry though - the desk drawer is locked! Only...the key is located 30cm away from the drawer...don't worry though - the key is hidden! Hidden?! Nothing says head of a home security company like hiding a key in a lamp!

**Strike 2** Why do they decide to rob the main house at night? We already know that the house is located in the "ghost part of town" (so that we can feel the fear of isolation later, where no one can hear you scream...or groan), and so why didn't they perform the robbery during the day when the old man isn't home - as we saw in the example of the first robbery!

**Strike 3** When the blind man flips the kill switch to turn off all the lights in the house - effectively "levelling the playing field" - you're suddenly brought to reality with a shudder: why did a blind man have the lights on in his house in the first place?

And that's ignoring the question of how a blind man kidnapped and imprisoned a healthy adult woman in his basement, why the kids didn't just go straight out the front door or through a window, or why they didn't hit, trip or trick the blind pensioner....
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blind , strong, Life for Life
jsharma28 August 2016
Don't Breathe. Excellent title for movie directed by Fede Alvarez. After watching preview, this movie was on my must see list. Extremely well directed. The blind man, played superbly by Stephen Lang, lives alone with his ferocious looking, big , black dog in a shabby neighborhood house in Michigan. 3 young people, Jane Levy as Rocky, her boyfriend Daniel Zovatto as Money and Dylan Minnette as Alex want to get rich the quick way - by robbing. The blind man , a war veteran, came into lot of money after his daughter's death in a car accident. The 3 potential robbers go to the blind man's house for the money and then come to know about his blindness. Expecting no fight, the three enter his house and from then on, starts the horrible night events. The blind man knows how to live his lonely life despite daughter's accident and knows how to have a happy future. The blind man believes in life for life. Terrific movie. Extremely well directed. Terrific acting by Stephen Lang and Jane Levy. I am not a dog lover and the dog in the movie did a good , ferocious, vicious animal role part very well. excellent cinematography. Good Editing. Overall , a very good scary movie. Do not underestimate a war vet. I enjoyed every scene in the movie. Highly recommended.
78 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.