Avengers: Infinity War (2018) Poster

3,834 Reviews
Unlike anything ever done in the history of cinema
kjames-2654214 August 2018
This movie is the beginning of the culmination of Marvel's masterfully woven cinematic universe. Beginning back in 2008 with iron man, we are finally seeing the results of all the movies have been pointing to; and it did not disappoint. Thanos is a complex villain, with deeper and more interesting desires than just "world domination." The dilemmas all the characters face in this movie (both the heroes and the villains) are truly thought provoking and leave you on the edge of your seat. No other set of movies has beeen so involved, so expanded, and encompassed so many story lines/characters and previous movies. The sheer amount of star power alone in this film is insane; and they do a masterful job of weaving all these unique and various characters into a common storyline.
75 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie will blow your mind and break your heart - and make you desperate to go back for more. Brave, brilliant and better than it has any right to be.
shawneofthedead25 April 2018
Over the past decade, Marvel has earned itself the benefit of the doubt. The studio has consistently delivered smart, funny, brave films that both embrace and transcend their comic-book origins. The 18 blockbuster movies produced since Iron Man first blasted off into the stratosphere in 2008 have not only reinvented superhero films as a genre - they've helped to legitimise it. Indeed, Marvel's two most recent films - Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther - have received the kind of accolades usually reserved for edgy arthouse flicks.

And yet, it's perfectly reasonable to be apprehensive about Avengers: Infinity War. This is a blockbuster film that's been ten years in the making, its plot hinted at and scattered throughout 18 other movies. It features 30 or so characters, each with their own complex backstories and motivations. And all of them are coming together in a bid to stop a giant purple alien dude from destroying the universe. It sounds ridiculous, and feels impossible.

But that's precisely what makes the final product such a monumental achievement. Masterfully directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, Infinity War is bold, brainy filmmaking at its very best: the kind that will lift your spirits, blow your mind and shatter your soul - occasionally in the same scene. It demonstrates on an epic scale what Marvel has known all along: that special effects and tightly choreographed action are there to serve the story. For all its blockbuster spectacle (and there's almost too much of that), the film works because it's anchored by the heart, humour and humanity of its characters.

The film's basic plot is simple: Thanos (played via motion-capture by Josh Brolin), intergalactic purveyor of death and destruction, has long been on the hunt for the six Infinity Stones that will give him complete control over the elemental building blocks of the universe. He dispatches his acolytes to Earth to retrieve the Time Stone, currently in the possession of Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), and carve the Mind Stone out of the forehead of Vision (Paul Bettany). It's a literal existential threat so terrifying that all the heroes we've come to know and love - from the Avengers to the Guardians of the Galaxy - must put aside their differences and unite against a common foe.

From the outset, it's immediately clear that neither the film's directors nor screenwriters (Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely) are interested in playing it safe. Most other superhero films are bled of high stakes - the hero in the title might suffer untold trauma, but it's a super-safe bet that he or she will make it to the end alive. There's no such guarantee here. Within the first ten minutes, we are confronted with the dark, twisted depths to which Thanos and his acolytes in the Black Order will sink in order to achieve their goals. Death, as well as genuine loss and sacrifice, is intrinsic to the narrative drumbeat that drives Infinity War ever forward, and the film is all the better for it.

That's not to say the movie is a morbid and depressing experience. What's so impressive about Infinity War is how it expertly juggles its constantly shifting tones and moods. When it's funny (and it very often is), it's deeply, truly funny. The film finds maximum joy in flinging characters together with merry abandon, mixing and matching ones you'd never have expected to share scenes or trade banter. Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) is floored by Thor's (Chris Hemsworth) godly muscles. Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) is charmed by the wit and intelligence of Shuri (Letitia Wright). And it'd be impossible to not be utterly delighted by Peter Dinklage's inspired cameo. It's a blithely tongue-in-cheek sensibility shared by Marvel's best comic books, which understand that humour can make you care when it really counts.

And, boy, does Infinity War make it count. There are many heartbreakingly human moments threaded throughout the film: from the charming surrogate father-son dynamic shared by Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) and Peter Parker (Tom Holland), to the undeniable love that ties Vision and Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) together. In many ways, the film stands as a testament to the human capacity not just to love, but to love fiercely and beyond all logic. It's right there when the unfailingly noble Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) declares, "We don't trade lives", even when giving up one could save billions.

There's even a chilling echo of it in Thanos himself. A lesser film would have turned Thanos into a one-dimensional villain, much the way he's all monster and maniac in the comic books. In Infinity War, however, Thanos' end goal is surprisingly relevant when it comes to thinking and talking about the staggeringly overpopulated world in which we live today. There is, as it turns out, method to Thanos' madness. It makes the tragic twists and turns in his relationships with his estranged adopted daughters, Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Nebula (Karen Gillan), all the more unsettling.

For the most part, Infinity War does justice, too, to the many heroes who have been assembled for the film. The Russo brothers displayed great skill at interweaving multiple perspectives and character trajectories in Captain America: Civil War, and they do so again here, with twice as many characters. Even the most minor of supporting players, like Don Cheadle's James Rhodes/War Machine, are given story beats that land. It helps that Marvel has always taken care to cast genuinely good actors in roles that might otherwise come off as silly and slight.

Even so, there are a few standouts amongst this enormous and enormously talented cast. Emotionally speaking, this is Downey's film. He plays every note of Tony's reluctant courage and bone-deep trauma, as he embarks on what he's convinced is a suicide mission. He's ably matched by Cumberbatch, who finds vulnerability even in his character's most cunning and calculative move. Hemsworth, meanwhile, is given free rein to import the big-hearted comedic swagger of Thor: Ragnarok into this film - while also layering it with a deeply-felt, jagged grief for the losses he has suffered at the hands of Thanos and the universe.

In a film with so many moving parts, some elements don't work quite as well. A couple of characters that you might have expected to be right at the forefront - including an original Avenger or two - fade into the background. The film tumbles from dizzying fight scene to dizzying fight scene, and while most of them are fantastically choreographed, there are some purely dumb moments that literally revolve around attempts to prevent Thanos from clenching his fist. In effect, this is a superhero mêlée that's part over-the-top and part overkill, and might prove too much for those who don't already care for this franchise and the characters in it.

Minor quibbles aside, though, Infinity War is yet another step in the right direction for Marvel. It continues the studio's tradition of placing a premium on rich, complex storytelling that respects both its characters and its audiences. But it also refuses to make things easy for itself. The film ends even more bravely than it began, with a final ten minutes that will haunt and horrify you in equal measure. It's a stroke of bold, brilliant genius - a narrative risk so audacious that you'll want to follow Marvel wherever it goes next.
1,692 out of 2,863 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Summer Film That IS Even Better Than The Hype
garethvk24 April 2018
Summer movies often hype themselves as spectacular events not to be missed and their ad campaigns use words like "epic", "spectacle", and "smash" as ways to build the hype to increase advanced box office sales. The summer 2018 film season kicks off in a big way with "Avengers: Infinity War" and it is the rare summer film that exceeds is lofty expectations and delivers a crowning achievement for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. When Thanos (Josh Brolin), embarks on a deadly campaign to find and possess the Infinity Stones, he leaves a path of death and destruction in his path. When his pursuit leading him to Earth, Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo), and Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), who enlist a reluctant Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), to the cause just as the minions of Thanos arrive. With The Avengers fractured and scattered following the events of "Captain America: Civil War" the teams find themselves dealing with the threat in various groups as fate steps in to divide many key members of the team. This allows for a great entry by the Guardians of the Galaxy and allows the film to take a very enjoyable path. Essentially the movie weaves separate storylines into one cohesive and very satisfying epic. You have a story with the Guardians as well as one with many of the key Avengers, as well as others with characters old and new. As such it is like a Guardians, Avengers, and Marvel film all rolled into one and each one supports the other very well yet has the charm and identity you would expect. While the tone is very dark as you would expect with literally half of the known universe facing destruction, there is also some solid humor in the film that never once undermines the story or pacing. Naturally the effects are stunning as you would expect as Marvel has put a significant amount of money into the film and it shows in every eye-popping action sequence. What really impressed me the most was that the Russo Brothers never let the FX of the film overshadow the characters and with a very large cast, it was nice to see everyone got their moment and you did not see members of the cast trying to one up each other. There are some real surprise moments along the way and the action is easily the best of any Marvel film to date. Many fans had expressed disappointment with "Avengers: Age of Ultron" for me this film is significantly better than the prior film and is everything that a Marvel fan would want in a film. I was also surprised by how well Thanos was portrayed as while you hopefully will not agree with his deductions and methods; you could actually understand his motivations and it help him transcend from the usual megalomaniacs which are so common in films of his type. I am really looking forward to seeing what comes next and make sure you stay through the credits for a bonus scene. Believe the hype, "Avengers: Infinity War" is an epic not to be missed and is an example of what a summer event film should be. 5 stars out of 5
1,300 out of 2,389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Film
kevintgeisler19 June 2018
I was amazed to see so many negative reviews; so many people are impossible to please. This movie was 2 1/2 hours long, but I could have sat there another 2 1/2 hours and not noticed. Thoroughly entertaining, and I love how the directors weren't afraid to take chances. I've read a lot of other user reviews that claim that there's no plot. Unless you're mentally handicapped or not paying attention because you're on your phone the entire movie, the plot is pretty clear, and decent in my opinion.
299 out of 545 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic conclusion to Marvel's first 10 years
mto1023 May 2018
I absolutely loved this movie. It was intense, action-packed and emotional. Also delivering comedy when needed, but it was a relatively dark film. All of the actors delivered great performances and the characters continue to be fleshed out and be made human despite the fact that they're superheroes. This is easily the best superhero movie ever made.

Thanos is one of the best villains of the MCU, as well as one of the best of Cinematic history in general. Upon first viewing, I hated him, but found his character intriguing. Similar to Emperor Palpatine in the Original and Prequel trilogies of Star Wars. The more times I rewatch it though, I start to understand Thanos' point of view more and more. The blurred lines with his motivations make the movie more compelling. Even driving some people to say that Thanos was right in all this. I wouldn't go that far, but I would say his character is misunderstood. Definitely a compelling villain in Thanos.

The ending of the movie was insanely emotional, but I love how they (mainly) set aside the original Avengers team to take on Thanos in the fourth Avengers movie. I, for one, cannot wait.

That eerie "Thanos will return" at the end of the film sent a chill down my spine. It truly is the end game now, and I can't wait to see the Avengers rise up and likely defeat Thanos in the next movie.

+Every Hero has their moment to shine (Much like the villain wants, the movie achieves balance in this way) +Good Comedic moments to balance (again pun intended) the dark tone of the film +Emotional and Heavy ending (Seeing Earths Mightiest fail is something devastating to watch) +Complete hype moments that reward you for being a fan of this franchise for 10 years +Incredible performances +Phenomenal original score Etc.

Not much you can find that's wrong with this movie. It's literally the perfect movie Marvel has been building up to for 10 years. And those that claim it didn't have an ending as a negative, I beg to differ. Just because the villain won doesn't mean it didn't have an ending.

My Rating: 10/10
109 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The amount of people that don't understand the movie is astonishing
blparker-3173827 April 2018
All the reviews that say this movie has no plot are either trolls, idiots, or didn't are to take the time to watch previous marvel movies. Every single one of those ratings and reviews should be taken down and not added to the rating for Infinity War because of their fundamental lack of understanding. It's like coming in and watching the last 2 minutes of an hour long drama show and saying this episode sucks because it has no plot. It's utterly ridiculous!

There have been 31 marvel movies leading up to this point. All 31 has have some plot that leads to infinity war. Infinity War IS the end game movie. There is nothing left to explain, nothing left to discuss, it is all-out fight for control of the most powerful items in existence, the infinity stones. There have been 31 movies to explain in someway the power of these stones and/or the heroes that come together to fight Thanos in this movie. It's like a long game of chess where Thanos finally makes his move, and it's a huge one.

So I beg of any of you who reads this. Don't listen to anyone who says this movie has no plot, has no reason and is only fighting. They aren't worth listening to, Infinity Wars has roughly 60 hours of plot from 31 precious movies leading up to this monumental fight for life or death, and the movie is done to near perfection. The movie is glorious, the CGI is fantastic, the battles are awe-inspiring, and Thanos is made worth of your fear from the very beginning. He is truly the Mad Titan that captures your heart and crushes it right in front of your eyes. Anyone who doesn't think this clearly didn't see the same movie.
1,562 out of 3,085 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Again a fight, but bigger
BiiivAL3 June 2018
I went and looked, and I want to express my thoughts.

I went to this film with very high expectations, with a sense of something. I went to him twice, the first time, myself, and the second with the family, and I was even surprised that my mother, sister and dad (who do not understand this movie at all) brought unreal pleasure and an ocean of emotions.

Each frame, each scene does not let you get bored, from the Marvel logo, and to the stage after the credits. Favorite heroes once again experienced side by side and you feel it, you are completely absorbed in a hurricane of events and you are watching it in one breath. In comparison with the War of Infinity, even the Confrontation looks like an ordinary fight in the sandbox.

Uuuu, and the villain, the best as for me the best in this kirovoveselennoy, he is not just a bot at once, without motivation, no, it's just the opposite. I liked Thanos so much that you do not want to, and he began to impress me, in terms of his convictions (I had it only once, with Joker Heath Ledger). He has feelings, he makes choices, he's alive.

Tense scenes are beautiful, in one moment I still let off a meager male tear (and this happens to me very, very rarely). What about the humor, the jokes are correct for me, and they do not bother you like Thor: Ragnarok, although in the beginning they look a little tight. Well, the action, it is very high-quality, and in comparison with the Black Panther is generally ideal.

And of course the film can not be without punctures. The lack of predictability of some story lines, and a couple of moments that were very predictable, but they are fade against the background of all this scale.

Yes, you will not find anything in this film about something, something, but, what, what, what, steep humor. Thanks to Marvel and of course the Rousseau brothers, the beautiful actors and the wonderful movie that I've been waiting for for 3 years.

Out of 10, I give the War of Infinity 9.
472 out of 1,012 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Knight version of MCU
shijogeorge-742441 December 2018
Remember it's fast, does not have time for crap scenes, everyone is lucky to get a line. Hard to catch on for non MCU guys but I gotta say Awesome.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avengers: Infinity War, the best movie since LOTR!!
True-Friends28 May 2018
I'm almost wordless, and.....LOTR is my no.1 movie of all-time, and Avengers: Infinity War is another LOTR to me, still I love LOTR better, but it's just because LOTR filled with great motivational messages, this is the only difference, put aside this IW = LOTR, or maybe even better than LOTR.

Hat off... Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War
27 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER!!
oliverdimitri26 April 2018
Engrossing, Epic, Emotional. Those are the three E's that define this movie. The latest instalment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise is at its very best, culminating ten years of marvel adventure and spectacle with the biggest and most boldest movie in the superhero genre. So let's start with Anthony and Joe Russo, the geniuses that made this beast of a movie. After announcing that they will be directing the next two Avengers movies, Marvel fans knew at once that this will be the darkest Avengers movie yet. Yes, it was very dark with more of a serious tone. More than Winter Soldier and Civil War (previous marvel movies directed by the Russo Bothers) combined but they also had what the other Avengers movies had as well, the humour and it was not at all tasteless. Nobody really cared if it was necessary or not because the humour worked along with the edgy parts of the movie. This is by far the Russo brothers best work among the Marvel movies completely raising the bar of superhero movies to it's highest. Praise to Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely for writing the amazing script (they also wrote the scripts of Captain America, The Avengers, Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron and Civil War also known to be the best marvel movies). Now, the characters and story. Practically everyone that you've seen in the previous marvel movies that aren't dead, are in this movie. Everyone had the chance to shine even if it's the smallest way possible. There were so many character arcs in this movie and none of them were cut short or boring. Every scene is in the movie was worth digesting and deciphering, along with the surprises and the twists and turns that will get audiences on the edge of their seat. Everything from character development to the pacing of the storyline, makes you jump, scream, gasp or cry. And of course, the one and only, Thanos. The villain that has been teased one too many times is finally here and he delivers. Josh Brolin officially portrays the best villain in the MCU, completely pissing on Marvel's villain problem. He brings all out on the table with everything he's got. Not only will you hate Thanos by the end of the movie, but you will understand him and maybe even feel sorry for him for a few seconds. They brought layers into him that no one has seen in a movie portrayal of a Marvel villain. They made him scary and strong at the same time vulnerable and understandable. The motivation of his doing and his character development made him the best character in the movie, making the movie all about him. I cannot tell you anymore about this movie because then I would be spoiling. All I have to say is that whether you're a marvel fan or not, and if you at least know what has been going on in the previous marvel movies, GO AND WATCH IT. It will not be a waste of your time or money. Digest this to prepare for what's to come.

I may be bias once again but I just have to. I have to rate this movie 10/10. If I don't, I would be betraying myself.
844 out of 1,877 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great popcorn film, surprises the series with fresh takes
eden-rabatsch25 April 2018
Well, Well, Well....

I was so ready to tear this down - 19th MCU film, too many stars, bloated CGI, first of a two parter, and so on and so on...

Yet, this is so much fun. Pure popcorn...now in the dictionary under "popcorn film" is just the poster for this film. Somehow, the Russo Brothers have juggled all the parts to give everyone some time in the sun. They are helped immensely by two things: the premise is so pure Mcguffin that you just watch Thanos look for Infinity Stones which gives a primal momentum and that the film's stars/characters are looking to move on - that means, actual stakes for once as people could really die and not just comic book dying either.

The DC people must be kicking themselves. The lightness and comedic touches are brilliant. You are laughing out loud, comedy level, but at totally organic character humour. It means you are so entertained throughout its rather long running time.

The other big surprise is Thanos himself. Normally, I hate CGI characters but somehow they have made Thanos and Josh Brolin work enough to give the character an actual arc. This is one of the better MCU villains and I never thought I would write that.

The stakes are real, the charisma levels are amazing, it is like "Oceans 28" and I can't wait for the sequel...that says an enormous amount considering the challenges this film faced.
687 out of 1,532 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An objective review of Avengers: Infinity War
pjgs20012 May 2018
I don't mean to be negative here, but Avengers: Infinity War's 8.9 on IMDb is entirely undeserved. Marvel superfan or not, this movie has nothing on films like The Dark Night, La La Land, Pulp Fiction, or Inception, all films which it either outranks based on it's 8.9 rating or comes close to. I get that there was an insane amount of hype around this film, and it's awesome to see our favorite Marvel characters come together (The Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Spiderman, Captain America, Black Panther, etc.), but we shouldn't let our excitement over all of our favorite characters coming together cloud the fact that "Avengers: Infinity War" is an overly long movie that relies on cheap, unbelievable deaths to generate excitement and that isn't particularly well written or edited. I commend the directors and writers on being able to successfully interweave so many stories, but the movie just felt too long.

It's fight scene after fight scene, and while the performances are good and the script is pretty funny, the film isn't really original and its only redeeming factor is that it's full of characters we all know and love. It's funny to see Thor poke fun at the Guardians of the Galaxy and to see Iron Man and Spiderman interact with Doctor Strange, but when we look at the film objectively, it's really just a standard superhero film (with more superheroes than normal) that relies on cheap plot twists to generate excitement and emotion. No matter how much we love Marvel, we all know that there's no way any of the characters who "died" are actually going to die. The filmmakers expect us to believe that Black Panther (who just made Marvel over one billion dollars), Spiderman, and the Guardians of the Galaxy have all met the end of their respective stories, even when there are publicly announced sequels for all three franchises. I hate to say it, but all the character deaths at the end are just there for shock value, and it's cheap.

From a technical perspective, the fight scenes are directed well, but that's about it. The editing isn't particularly great and the film feels too long at 2 hours and 40 minutes. I feel like half of the time spent hopping from planet to planet could have been cut and the movie would have been about as good if not better.

OVERALL: "Avengers: Infinity War" could have been amazing, but it's too long and relies on cheap deaths to generate hype. This film is not deserving of it's 8.9 rating on IMDb. I think that Captain America: Civil War was a *much* better movie.

6.5 out of 10.
520 out of 1,150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated and bloated
milleniumlogan3 May 2018
This movie was an underwhelming, chaotic blend of several different movies. I'm going to break down several of the different elements of the movie and why they either worked or really did not work. I'll start with the villain:

Thanos, as a whole, is a pretty good villain. He is intimidating and the movie gave him a good script. The problem is that his powers are so freakin inconsistent. Guardians of the Galaxy already established just how powerful infinity stones are, but Infinity War seems to forget that. In the battle on Titan, Iron Man and about five others are able to hold Thanos down and nearly get his gauntlet off. At this point, Thanos has four infinity stones. Sorry, but there is no way they could restrain him at that point.

Infinity War also includes four other villains which the directors apparently felt had no need for an introduction. Collectively, they are called the Black Order (or dark order) and their names are never said so, I'll give them nicknames. There is Noseless the Terrible(who is terrible), Avatar Lady with Horns (also terrible), Rock Dude (basically Korg but bigger with a goatee), and Guy with Pointy Axe. The only people who understand who the heck these characters are, are Marvel comic fans.

The biggest problem with Infinity War is the character developments and inconsistencies. I'll describe the worst cases:

Star-Lord: When the first Guardians of the Galaxy came out, Star-Lord was a great character. Infinity War completely ruins him. He turns into a jealous jerk and an actual idiot. There are brief flashes of the old Star-Lord but mostly he is just a character that you despise. At one point during the battle on Titan (Thanos's home planet), Iron Man, Doctor Strange, and the Guardians of the Galaxy have Thanos held down and they nearly remove his gauntlet (which makes no sense in the first place because at this point Thanos has four feakin infinity stones). As they are removing the glove from Thanos's hand, Star-Lord finds out that Thanos killed Gamora earlier in the movie. Star-Lord then starts punching him and this wakes him up from Mantis's mind powers and this time he demolishes them before going on to destroy half the galaxy.

Vision: The development of Vision is also really, really bad. In Age of Ultron he is strong enough to wield Thor's hammer but in Infinity War, he has developed and updated to the point that he never wins a single fight against anyone because it fits the plot.

Thor: So in Thor: Ragnarok it was established that Thor is the god of thunder and doesn't need a hammer to be powerful. Then in Infinity War they completely forget this and make him get tossed around like a ragdoll. In fact, he never even uses his lightning abilities until he forges his new weapon. Did the directors forget about what got established in Ragnarok or did they just make Thor weak because once again it fits the plot and Marvel can get away with whatever the heck they want?

Scarlet Witch: Wow! Her character was inconsistent. One minute she is getting demolished by some dark order member and the next she is holding off Thanos (who has five infinity stones at this point) for an extended period of time. Once again her powers are only as powerful as the directors need them to be for any given scene.

Hulk: So apparently the Hulk is now scared to come out? Ahh, poor little guy. This is a terrible plot twist and really doesn't make much sense.

Another thing that did not work about this movie was the sheer amount of characters. I was worried that it might be too many and it was. As a result, there were too many different subplots going on and they couldn't even have one final battle. They had to have two climactic battles going on at one time and the result was a bloated mass of CGI filled action for the last forty-five minutes of the movie.

Now, I'll discuss the action in the movie by rating each of the major battles with a brief description:

New York battle: 2/10 This battle was absolutely terrible. Noseless the Terrible comes in with the Rock Dude and tears up the city to take Doctor Strange away and nothing about the action is even slightly thrilling. The action in Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider was better than the action in this battle.

Wakanda battle: 8/10 This battle was actually pretty thrilling with great background music and some really cool action. The first half of this battle is a lot better than the second though. It also gets annoying because it's only fed to you in short segments while flashing back to the battle on Titan or Thor forging his hammer-axe-thingy. Overall though, this battle was good and part of the reason that I give Infinity War a 6 and not something much lower.

Battle on Titan: 6/10 While, there is some good action in this battle, there are also a ton of inconsistencies revolving around Thanos and how powerful he is. Overall, I wasn't super impressed.

I also need to discuss Thanos's plan for a second. He wants to wipe out half of the universe's population because the universe is overcrowded. Then he can finally rest. Did he think of the fact that the universe will repopulate again and all his hard work will be for nothing? I definitely prefer a storyline that involves the threat of total destruction of earth.

Finally, I am going to discuss the characters that are killed in the movie and why it makes Avengers 4 really predictable. So at the end of the movie, Thanos snaps his fingers with all the infinity stones and half of the universe is killed. Somehow by random selection, all the original avengers survive. The odds of that happening are 1 in 64 assuming Hawkeye survived the dreaded finger snap of Thanos or 1 in 32 if he died while having his epic gaming session with friends (guess he got bored of the whole avengers thing). The characters that die are almost all new characters like Black Panther, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, etc. Several of these characters already have planned sequels so we know they are going to come back when the original Avengers find a way to time travel and reverse everything. It's just too predictable.

Overall, Infinity War was not a very good movie. I do not understand the hype. It was choppy, inconsistent, overcrowded and overall just not the great movie it's cracked up to be. I would not recommend going to the theater for this one. I left feeling exhausted and tired of the MCU.
991 out of 2,232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything we could've hoped for
hawkins_saints_rock25 April 2018
Oh. My. God. What an incredible film! I've never done a review of a movie before, I've only done TV shows. So bare with me, I'm gonna discuss the major points and chuck in a theory or two. But to start off...

Wow. This film could be the best Marvel movie ever! But I will give it a few days to digest and probably a second viewing before deciding on that. It absolutely lived up to the 10 year build up since Iron Man 1, how far we've come in a quick 10 years is remarkable.

The Thanos character absolutely hit the mark. He was menacing, intimidating, vicious and so much more. Props to the actor who played him. Thanos' plan succeeds (for the time being) and we get a whole lot of "death" because of it. In this movie there was death, and "death". The former refers to characters such as Loki, Vision and Gamora. We saw these characters die and there bodies be left behind. For this movie not to lose credibility, these characters, in my opinion, must remain dead. Now "death" refers to what we saw at the end, Thanos, with all infinity stones, clicked his fingers and half of humanity, including half of the avengers (important to note that all the original avengers are still alive) dissolved into dust giving the impression of death. I expect these characters to come back at some point during the next Avengers film, most likely due to the originals saving them.

My final theory regards Doctor Strange. On the ship with Stark and Spidey, Strange said that if it came to it he would save his stone over Stark and Spidey's lives. However, in the end we see Strange give up the stone to Thanos on the condition Stark stay alive. My prediction is that when Strange saw all the possible futures, the only future in which they win must heavily rely on Tony Stark. Which makes sense, Tony started it all so he should finish it.

Incredible film, can't wait for the next one to see how it all resolves.

9.8/10
482 out of 1,064 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best to date
leebudenis27 May 2018
This is by far the best Marvel film since the winter soldier.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe sad DC fanboys bad reviews.
mito87615 May 2018
There is literally no way to dislike this movie. People complain about humor. Use your brains and you will see that the humor is necessary yet high quality. There are no mistakes in any of the aspects of the movie. Some minor plot holes but thats it. it's a solid 9.5 movie. An epic journey. With more than 20+ characters Russo brothers managed to an amazing movie with that many caharacters. This is literrally the hardest movie ever in cinema history. And they succeeded amazingly. Which Zack Snyder/DC couldnt do with that terrible movie Batman V Superman. Only 2 or 3 main characters. Pathetic. Stop giving bad reviews because of humor you cant understand. infinity War is a masterpiece.

Acting = Perfect 10/10 Soundtrack = Perfect 10/10 Cgi/Visuals = Perfect 10/10 (Thanos' Cgi is unique, There is no other cgi as good as it) Story = Almost perfect 9.8/10
63 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I need a Therapist
upashnafuentes25 April 2018
This movie has made me feel things that I haven't about a movie in a very long time. If you are anything like me you will definitely feel a sense of "everything is gonna be alright" because of the generous sprinkling of light humour that makes the situation feel less serious than it actually is. The emotional roller coaster that begins right at the beginning of the movie to the very end has you feeling more and more frustrated and on edge as it goes on. Don't get me wrong this movie is absolutely stunning and amazing and a cliffhanger at the end has you wanting more and more. I'm definitely very excited to see how this storyline will carry out in the next Avengers movie.
514 out of 1,156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Perfection - Exceeds All Expectations and Blows You Away. Best Marvel Film Yet.
mt-9525628 April 2018
TL;DR

• A phenomenal achievement - 10 years of films leading up to this has been worth it

• Simple story allowing so much to be packed in

• Infinity Stones are more than just dull McGuffins

• A wildly different story and structure to most superhero films

• Structure more like a Game of Thrones episode - this works to its benefit

• The ending is bold and brave - a real strength of the film as a whole

• All characters are fantastic - their interaction is the greatest joy of the movie

• No one character hogs the film - everyone gets their fair share of screen-time

• Thanos is the greatest Marvel villain so far

• Absolutely hilarious and very quotable

• Sublime, varied and non-stop action that never feels like too much

• Sets up Avengers 4 very well

--------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. Just wow. For a film that generates so much hype in the months running up to its release, it's incredible when it not only meets expectations, but exceeds them to the point where even more hype is garnered. There are so many words to describe Marvel's latest - emotional, epic, fun, stressful, scary, hilarious, incredible. In about 2 and a half hours you will laugh, you will cry and you will cheer. It's a phenomenal achievement, the biggest marvel of Marvel yet, and a huge round of applause is warranted to everyone involved in the film. You don't need to be a fan to love this film.

It's a very simple story without lots of twists and turns, making it very easy to follow - that is, provided you've seen all (or at least most) of the films so far. For those who have been at least casually following this monumental cinematic series, everything will make sense and the characters are already known. By letting the previous films set everything up, that allows Infinity War to pack so much more in the film and just get on with it from the word 'go'. The ever-important Infinity Stones themselves are much more than simple McGuffins - the film makes the audience care about them, Thanos visibly becoming stronger with every one he collects. It's not just as simple as Thanos collecting six stones, however. Instead this doesn't follow the usual superhero story or structure, instead being utterly unpredictable, allowing the audience no respite or way to prepare for the madness that occurs. This is a very different type of superhero film, Marvel able to break away from the mould. This is a strength of the film and they absolutely do not shy away from it. This is best seen in the ending which will go down in history, along with the likes of The Italian Job. It's a bold, brave finale - in a way I would have preferred a slightly more rounded end, but the film is too daring for that, instead setting things up for Avengers 4 perfectly (even in the post-credits scene).

Considering there are over 30 characters the audience will recognise, the directors and writers have done an excellent job of balancing the characters, all seen through the structure of the film itself. Structured more like an episode of Game of Thrones, we follow different groups of characters as the climax slowly comes to a head. One moment we'll be with Iron Man, Dr Strange and Spider-Man, the next we're journeying across the galaxy with Thor and the Guardians, and next we find ourselves with Cap, Falcon and Black Widow. No character seems particularly side-lined or unimportant and the structure allows for each and every character to make a solid contribution and get their fair share of screen-time.

Whereas Age of Ultron had more of an emphasis on story rather than characters, Infinity War is the complete opposite, the characters coming together instead being the main point of the film itself. It's a relief then that, besides all characters having a fair amount of time, they are all fantastic and an absolute joy to see all together in one film, every group seeping excellent chemistry. It never feels forced or gimmicky, but instead authentic and natural to see them all team up and work together. It also emphasises how perfectly cast all the characters have been over the years, able to hold their own and interact with everyone else so brilliantly. With so many characters, a film like this shouldn't work, but incredibly it does and is all the better for it. None of the groups are ever the default boring one (unlike Frodo and Sam in Lord of the Rings), but they are all lovable characters with exciting plot lines. On top of that they're all hilarious. As ever, Drax might be the funniest; but there are jokes from Stark, Strange, Quill, Groot, Rogers, Okoye... the list is endless. In a film with so much heart and action, it's amazing they managed to fit in so much comedy. It's beginning to sound like a cliché, but this is absolutely the funniest Marvel film yet - certainly funnier than the majority of "comedies" that come out these days. Even the new character Eitri played by Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage gets his share of laughs. The biggest surprise with regards to characters however is Thanos. While his cohort may be formidable yet fairly bland (with the exception of the brutally sinister and downright scary Ebony Maw, played by Tom Vaughan-Lawlor), Infinity War's central villain Thanos is an exceptional antagonist, brilliantly played by Josh Brolin. As terrifying and intimidating as the monstrous purple alien may be, there is a quiet, emotional side to him. Unlike many villains, he's not looking for power for the sake of power. There's an element of humanity to him and he genuinely believes that what he's doing is for the good of the universe. This is not an antagonist to add to the ever-growing annals of forgettable villains - Thanos is the formidable foe we needed and wanted. No longer will Loki be the best Marvel bad guy by default. Will he go down as the best superhero villain since the Joker?

Of course it's not all laughs and chasing stones. As expected in a film like this there's action - lots of action. It's appropriate that the word 'war' appears in the title since this is by far the most action-packed Marvel film we've seen. Despite the nigh-on non-stop action, it never gets boring or seems like too much. With a rich plethora of characters comes a wide variety of action and fighting styles. No two characters fight in the same way and so the action always seems fresh. It's a pleasure seeing all these characters we have grown to love come together and fight with one another. The CGI and fight choreographing is incredible and the battle scenes are beautifully filmed. Definitely worthwhile being seen in IMAX!

The biggest downside is having to wait a year to find out what happens next, with no clues in the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp or Captain Marvel in the interim (since they're set before the events of this film). Still, if the next Avengers film is anything like Infinity War we're in for another incredible treat. With terrific character interaction, hilarious comedy, sublime action and a shocking ending that will keep you awake at night - it's all perfect. The 10 years Marvel has spent leading up to this has been absolutely worth it. A splendid and monumental achievement. All hail Marvel - but beware, Thanos will return...
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ABOVE MY EXPECTATION.
kuaci8926 April 2018
Just WOW , The Russo nailed it, hand down from me they did it again. Part by part is interesting to watch , some of scene make me shock some scene make me wanna punch people so bad. Thanos is the best villain I've ever seen. He not just normal villain to kill bunch of people because he love but his motivation so clear why he wanna do that and most people know he is collecting all the infinity stones.

One of the best part of it the team up Guardian & Avengers just amazing, full of humor cannot stop laughing watching their scene together. For 1st time my brain cannot process what going to happen in Avengers 4 really hype about it.

Really worth watching it , if u non Marvel fans or superheroes fan this movie is worth to watch , really enjoy it . Of course every good movie always have some issue with it but just MINOR issue can close eye and let it go. Going to watch it again soon . Love from Malaysia.
408 out of 933 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Infinity War deserved to be the best and grand
pranayjalvi25 April 2018
The most anticipated movie of 2018 has now been released and my word, I have to say that Infinity War was brilliant on each scale, whether be its story, Visual Effects and the ensemble cast consisting all the Marvel characters. Every Marvel Fan needs to watch the movie as words cannot describe the magnificience of the movie.
464 out of 1,069 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A celebration of ten wonderful years of entertainment and overall fun
MrDHWong25 April 2018
Avengers: Infinity War is the seventh film in Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the nineteenth film overall. Directed by The Russo Brothers (Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War), it is truly a terrific film of its kind and a near-perfect culmination of everything the cinematic universe has been building up to for ten years.

Two years after the events of Captain America: Civil War, the Avengers team remain a fractured group of heroes, with some completely dropping off the radar altogether. However, one day, the powerful intergalactic tyrant Thanos (Josh Brolin) arrives on Earth to complete his collection of Infinity Stones, which upon acquiring all six, will allow him to control half of the known universe. With time quickly running out, The Avengers must reunite and team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy to put an end to Thanos' unquenchable thirst for power.

Avengers: Infinity War is more than a typical MCU superhero film. It is a celebration of ten wonderful years of entertainment and overall fun. While the film does struggle with some tonal shifts during the first act, its brilliant action scenes and clever dialogue more than make up for these shortcomings. The film's ending will be overwhelming to some and most likely will divide fans over how it is executed. Directors Anthony and Joe Russo do a superb job developing Thanos' personality outside of simply wanting universal domination. His motivations feel somewhat morally ambiguous and at times even make him seem sympathetic. Despite the film's darker tone, there are still some hilarious scenes of banter among the heroes, particularly between Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) and Steven Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch). As is the tradition, be sure to stay after the credits for one bonus scene.

I rate it a solid 9/10
239 out of 554 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only good cause it ends without success?
jmgpcab10 May 2018
Merely 5% is real life images, the rest were virtual. The story unconnected, boring, the end surprisingly unended, to be continued... it doesn't deserve the 9 star rating, who paid it?
81 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not believe the ratings, this movie is not nearly as good as people claim it is
three_dead_crows5 May 2018
In the end this movie proved to be an absolute slugfest that never stops. The action is nonstop and there is neither any buildup or climax to the action. This could have been redeemed if the actors had any time to do their jobs but they were never given any time to perform and so the characters are rather disconnected from their surroundings and their reactions ridiculous. The only character that is given time to evolve in this movie is Thanos, and he is an interesting figure and I fully approve of how they chose to adapt his motivations instead of following the comic books. But one character is not enough and as usual there is nothing on the line which is hardly surprising since they need to milk every cent they can out of the franchise, and I do not in any way blame them for this. But when the movie ends and not a single character have been killed except for heimdal I really can't bother with their cash grabbing ways any longer. For the people who actually believes that half the characters died i pity your stupidity, because it is painfully obvious that they will be revived in the next movie and everything will continue. The day marvel decide to actually have the heroes sacrifice crap and take responsibility for their actions is the day I will respect marvel. After watching this movie I feel that the correct way to continue is to make an entire movie about what an complete and utter failure Peter Quill is, just like they did with Danny Rand in the defenders.
212 out of 493 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We'll Never See Magus (Adam Warlock) with Infinity Gauntlet, Great Villain Moment
Some of us have waited 10 years to see Magus/Adam Warlock against Avengers and take Gauntlet from Thanos, one of Marvel's best memorable classic villain stories.

Thanks to Russo Bros decision for taking Adam Warlock/Magus out Infinity War movie and giving the character to James Geunn's (Guardians of the Galaxy).

James announced he's going to make Adam a younger version of the character instead of comic book traditional adult,

James is going to make Adam another silly serious comedian superhero like Thor.

James should use NOVA Richard Rider if he wants a teenager. DISNEY HAS TOO MANY MAJOR CHANGES TO CHARACTERS AND CLASSIC COMIC BOOKS PLOTS. Warner Brothers, Sony, 20th Century Fox has there comic book movies adaptions closer to comic books than Disney. 1/10 stars.
110 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth it
njg-6607716 May 2018
Lots of spectacle, clever banter & special effects. Lousy ending. It's really just a trailer for the sequel. I wasted my money.
143 out of 327 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.