Captain Marvel (2019) Poster

7,219 Reviews
I thought it was a B movie to be honest
faeradical10 March 2019
Backstory was awful. Villain wasn't very menacing. Good humor, good acting, nice life lesson. Good effects. Decent action scenes. Not a bad evening spent. But they would have been better using the x gene for a backstory rather than "alienating" their heroine by trying to make here something she wasn't...alien.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a girl who won the "over power" lottery without any character depth.
htutmaung5 May 2019
CGI and over power doesn't make a good film. It was like Marvel version of justice league. She could just fly through whatever she wants to destory. There wasn't any display of fight IQ or heart, something you see in Captain America or Iron Man. Just a girl who won the "over power" lottery without any character depth.
1,507 out of 2,368 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I had more fun with Captain Marvel than I was initially expecting
Russoguru14 October 2019
The MCU has been for the most part pretty solid here and there with the very rare missteps such as Iron Man 2 and 3. What really helps a movie out a LOT in my opinion is getting some grade A talent to be in your movie. Jude Law is great, It's nice to see Djimon Honsou come back and making her debut appearance is the lovely Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.

The trolling against Brie/Captain Marvel was absolutely amazing in how plentiful it was. You couldn't go anywhere online without some troll making a fool out of themselves trying in vain to diss Brie Larson and Captain Marvel. Before the movie I kept asking myself... "Why?", then after I saw the movie I asked myself "Why?" again!!

To be perfectly honest, Brie Larson is awesome as Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers. People love to nitpick and say "see??? She's a terrible actor!". See, here's the thing, apparently a lot of trolls think good acting is solely about every expression going on between your nose and chin. Acting sometimes has to be subtle, and Brie in my opinion does it very, very well.

I'm not going to be the one to try and come to Brie's rescue, because as she says in Captain Marvel "I have nothing to prove to you.". Captain Marvel doesn't need my help, evidenced by what she did in the final act of Avengers: Endgame.

Anyway, Captain Marvel starts off working with the Kree, a race of aliens bent on wiping out the race known as the Skrulls, who can take on any form. Chronologically speaking this film is our introduction to Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, who is a little softer in this film than we saw in later(again chronologically speaking) MCU films. I think the lesson is clear... the years and many wars later will really do some bad things to you.

Side note, I remember plenty of people getting hurt over a deleted scene where Captain Marvel crushes a guys hand. Okay... so Superman can crush a helpless opponents hand but not Captain Marvel? Sounds like a pretty typical example of sexism to me.

Captain Marvel is a lot of fun, between the great story, the idea of a hero discovering their true identity, Captain Marvel is an absolute win. Is it as great as Avengers Endgame? By no means... but then again, what is? That's like asking me "Okay, but is it as good as The Godfather?"
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Practically nothing good about it besides the Kree commando team
mtlabfall25 March 2019
This film
  • ruins MCU continuity
  • fails to inspire a single goosebump
  • bores
  • exasperates
  • is far too glib
  • tries too hard to be a feminist PSA (*show*, don't preach plz)
  • has a horribly miscast lead hero who is also poorly written
  • made me groan when Nick Fury's eye injury was revealed
  • shows a ridiculously happy-go-lucky Nick Fury that doesn't mesh with his MCU personality AT ALL
  • is possibly the worst MCU film (Ant Man and the Wasp anyone?)
  • doesn't deserve a 7 on IMDB (especially if Wonder Woman, a far superior film, is only .4 ahead)
  • can and should be criticized without political insinuations (i.e, I want female superhero films, just not crappy ones like this).
  • has mediocre at best fight scenes
  • has a sidekick character that - given the circumstances - makes an insanely poor decision to "come along"
  • has a weak character arc, the hero doesn't struggle enough to discover her powers and then has totally OP powers and THEN doesn't fully use them against a certain person (who won't be named, Spoilers)
  • deflated the possibility of having Skrulls as villains for upcoming films
  • made me revise my opinion of Brie Larson as a good actress
  • is regrettably diminishing my interest in the next Avengers movie
  • is regrettably making me wonder if this movie is what we'll look back on and say "Marvel jumped the shark"
1,604 out of 2,705 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Notch in Marvel's High Averages
PyroSikTh12 March 2019
As much as I love Marvel movies, their single-character movies can feel a little dull and uninteresting in comparison to the big tentpoles. Sure, seeing Nick Fury with two eyes and hair in the 90s was something to look forward to, but without a prior connection to Captain Marvel herself, it was hard for me to get uncomfortably overhyped.

And in some ways Captain Marvel is a victim of Marvel's single-character movies. We've come so far into the franchise now that going back to see the origin of yet another hero and how/why they're relevant just doesn't seem as enthralling any more. That said, Marvel's molasses of average movies is still pretty damn high, especially when compared to other blockbusters and franchises around at the moment, and Captain Marvel is also no exception there. There's very little to hate.

Vers is a Kree warrior with the unusual ability to shoot photon blasts from her fists. She's wrapped up in the Skrull/Kree war (the Skrulls being a race of shapeshifters), but is haunted of dreams of another life. While by the strictest definition, Captain Marvel is not an origin story, it still kind of is. While she has her powers from the movie's opening, it's still about her discovering who she is and what she's really capable of. Instead of starting at the beginning of her journey, her origin is instead told in flashbacks that are slowly revealed, expanded upon, and explained as the movie goes on. It's a good way of establishing her origin, and crafting a story around it, while also tying it into her character development as the movie goes along. It creates twists and turns that you don't see coming, re-ordering the general structure of a typical origin story. And I like anything that's different and changes things up, so thumbs up there.

Unfortunately Captain Marvel herself is outshone by almost every other character in the movie. Yes, her determination and quest for answers are charming and carry the entire movie, but it's characters like a younger, more cheerful Nick Fury and an endearingly comical Talos who are responsible for making the movie as captivating to watch as it is. Samuel L Jackson is clearly having a lot of fun here, and like every one of his roles, he gives it his all, including being able to act like a guy in his forties instead of his seventies. The phenomenal make-up and CG to make him look younger were only one ingredient in how convincingly younger he appeared. Ben Mendelsohn honestly kind of steals the show as the Skrull leader, managing to carefully toe the line between menacing and goofy. They lean in to how potentially silly green, pointy-eared aliens who can shapeshift are, and use that to poke fun, while also not diminishing how deadly their abilities can be. Mendelsohn shows once again how capable an actor he really is.

Talking of the humour, this is the freshest it's been in a while. Not once did it undercut more dramatic moments, feel forced in, or just be too much for its own good. Brie Larson's comedy bone comes out full force, and while she doesn't quite manage to encapsulate the jokiness of Tony Stark, she's pretty close. Another movie or two and she'll ease right into it. Another big source of comedy is the interactions between humans and aliens, and their worlds and cultures colliding. Goose the Flerken is a big example of this; adorable kitty cat? Or dangerous and unpredictable monster? Both outcomes are hilarious.

Marvel has never been particularly great with their music, and Captain Marvel attempts to eschew that in the same way Guardians did, but without the same panazz. We get a whole album's worth of female-led 90's classics, from No Doubt and Garbage to TLC and Salt-N-Pepa. They do give the film's it own sonic identity and harkens back to the era, however some of the uses, particularly in the third act, feel misplaced. Come As You Are by Nirvana is used at one point, and lyrically it fits quite well with what's going on, but musically it comes out of nowhere and doesn't match the tone of the surrounding scenes whatsoever. Just A Girl by No Doubt is also a far cry from action scene music, and yet there it is bursting in over the top of a critical sequence of Captain Marvel kicking names and taking ass.

Captain Marvel is by no means a bad movie. As a blockbuster goes it's one of the best you can get, but as a Marvel movie - thanks to the high quality across the board - it falls somewhere in the middle. It's nowhere near as good as Infinity War, Guardians, Winter Soldier, or Civil War, but it's also nowhere near as bad as Thor 2 or Iron Man 3. As far as female-lead superhero movies, I'd say Captain Marvel absolutely beats out Wonder Woman. I give it a flawed 8/10.

P.S. I still think Danver's Ms. Marvel costume had the far superior colour scheme, and I wish they'd kept it. Black and gold with a red sash is unique in the superhero sphere. Instead they doubled down on her mediocrity by making her red and blue just like everyone else. The leotard and prostitute boots were too much, I agree, but that colour scheme (and the sash) was just too good to completely abandon. They even cycle through the black and gold scheme on her Kree uniform and it looks SO GOOD. Why tease me Marvel? Why?
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable movie
o-o-9849910 March 2019
As a marvel fan I had a really good time watching it.
Go see.
carolinepedersen7910 March 2019
I enjoyed the movie. I am not the most analytical MCU admirer but I have been looking forward to this movie and I wasn't disappointed. 90s music rocked too!!!
I am content
wla-9007210 March 2019
I believe this movie had potential to be bad. But i think the movie as a whole was good. i enjoyed the movie, it fit in nicely with the other movies. it added to the story line, it introduced an awesome new character and the end credit scene was perfect. i actually liked Brie Larson's portrayal of the character, i did not cringe as much as i thought i would when i viewed the trailer. i do not understand why people are giving such negative reviewes. a big gripe that i usually have is when movies try to push a political agenda where it doesn't belong. i was expecting this before going into the theater (because you know how Hollywood is). but i thought it was subtle enough to be ignored. and not rammed down the audiences throat. the main gripe that i have with the movie is that Captain Marvel is WAY TOO OVER POWERED. i feel if marvel doesn't make 6 more infinity stones and a new gauntlet for thanos than he is gonna have some trouble fighting Edward fire hands over there. any way the over view is that the movie was nostalgic, had familiar faces from the other movies, and over all a good movie. i hope marvel doesnt think this is a flop because it is far from that.
Great movie
guardandbandrule10 March 2019
Not the best but a great continuation of the MCU. Also goose is the best.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
Pielola10 March 2019
Not sure why there's so many negative reviews. The action is great.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has cool moments, but poor main character writing.
deztron7 March 2019
I've liked Brie Larson in other films, but she showed ZERO range in this. When your main character in a superhero movie is unwatchable, you already have a problem. In addition, Captain Marvel has no weaknesses, which kills the tension immediately. There is no point at which you feel she is in any danger of losing, or any danger at all for that matter.

It's an OK origin story, but it makes no sense as to WHY she's supposedly so powerful.

The cat was good.
3,906 out of 6,881 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You don't need to watch this before Endgame
duongvietlinh7 May 2019
Captain marvel doesn't have any impact in the Endgame movie. With or without her it won't change a bit. So... And it's not a good movie anyway.
908 out of 1,577 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's just be honest
Red_Hardigan12 March 2019
I am a Marvel fan. I go see all the movies, then buy the blu-rays. I have character statues, posters and have read the comics including Captain Marvel. There is a reason people become fans of certain things, and those things done well over time generate more fans until it becomes a "Juggernaut" like the MCU has. I fear that it's not unstoppable however, as the sub-par Captain Marvel has painfully illustrated. The movie is a pastiche of poorly written scenes with a bit of uninspired action sprinkled here and there with barely any plot at all. Carol Danvers has no character development whatsoever, no adversity to overcome besides amnesia and no villain to fight. I know there are people saying they like this movie, but I feel like they either aren't being honest or they like it for personal reasons that are not present in the movie. Objectively speaking, in terms of the technical aspects of storytelling, Captain Marvel just isn't effective. Subjectively, I was bored the entire time and the nostalgia parts made me feel as though JJ Abrams was poking me in the ribs asking me if I 'member the 90's. Yes. Yes I do. And for the record, people are criticizing this movie because it was bad, not because they "haaaate the wooomans!" Dismissing legitimate criticisms using this tactic will not produce better films, which is the only thing most people want. The problem is that they built the movie around the idea of "strong woman" and promoted it as an identity film, so when the movie ends up being bad some people rush to defend it because they don't want the IDEA to fail. The movie itself is secondary - just a vehicle to slap their bumper stickers on, which is a real shame because this could have been a great addition to the MCU. I hope they learn something from this, but from what I've heard it appears that Marvel actually plans to escalate the identity politics in the next phase which would be an absolute disaster for them. When pointing to the box office as a defense for how "good" Captain Marvel was, just remember that tons of paying customers didn't like it at all.
1,150 out of 2,021 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Higher. Further. Faster was pretty decent
aj-5269010 March 2019
Listen, being an avid film lover and certainly an avid MCU fan, this film wasn't awful. Yes it had its slow spots and a little corny moments here and there but just because you don't agree with someone's views doesn't mean you can review bomb or backlash. Over this film was a delight and I hope to see more of Carol Danvers in the future. The CGI was pretty good, Sam L. Jackson, Jude Law and crew put up an entertaining time. This had a phase 1 feel to it which is perfect because there's a new era coming in after endgame. Go check it out, don't go see it because you here bad things, you've been on an 11 year journey and why stop now? End credits was a perfect tie in, one of the best end credits. Please go check it out and ignore the hate behind Brie Larson and just get in your MCU mindset you've been in for a number of years.
Really Enjoyable
dannie212-191-77859310 March 2019
I really enjoyed the movie. I think that a couple of plot points were a little confusing but WAY better than Ant Man and Wasp, which I really disliked! We had a blast watching the film! I do not understand the hate of this movie. It was a great And fun Marvel movie. Was it perfect? No. Was it a disaster? No. I'm looking forward to the next chapter! Oh and can we have a movie with Nick Fury and Goose next? Lol!!
Better than expected
tclayden-3467010 March 2019
Having just been to see this movie with my 10 year old daughter, we were pleasantly surprised to really enjoy this movie. After seeing alot of the crap and hate thats been online about this movie we wanted to see for ourselves what its all about!! Yeah there is a little "i am woman hear me roar" but not enough to spoil the movie for me a 50 year old white male or my 10 year old daughter!! We both really enjoyed it an can't wait for End Game!!
Great fun!
crusaders_chick10 March 2019
Give this movie a chance, put the reviews to one side - this movie is fun! There were so many moments that made me laugh, who knew that aliens could be funny outside of Guardians and that you wish you could see more of a cat on screen. Brie Larsen and Samuel L Jackson had good chemistry and the supporting cast fitted in really well. The music used was well chosen and and the end scene leaves you wanting more! Don't wait to watch this at home, it's best seen on the big screen!
So much fun
jgibson7510 March 2019
I've been a comic book reader since I was a child. I don't get to read as many these days, but I am thrilled to see so many of the comics I love having stories told on the big screen and the small screen. Captain Marvel was never one of my favorite characters. I never disliked the character. I just tended to read more earth focused comics (X-Men, Spider-Man, The Avengers, Moon Knight and such)... But I know about the character and was happy to see her getting her own film. And the film made me a much bigger fan of the character (the same way Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy films gave me a greater appreciation for those characters even though in comic book form they were not my favorites). Some of my newfound love of the character can be attributed to the excellent job Brie Larson does bringing Carol Danvers to life. I also enjoyed the different approach they took with telling an origin story. It was a very empowering character and I can only begin to imagine how little girls must feel seeing this hero on the screen... I found it inspirational even as a 40+ year old man. The VFX were too notch. I was very impressed with how far they have come with the de-aging effects. Never once did I feel like I was watching anything but a younger Samuel L. Jackson on screen. A big jump from earlier films were the Effect was good but still a bit unreal looking. The entire cast was great. I can't wait to see the further adventures of Captain Marvel.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing, don't believe the marvel haters who say they are marvel fans
mainmsteve10 March 2019
Why all the 1/10s-5/10s? the character wasnt dull, she can act, it explains wonders about filling in the cracks and why shes gonna be a big help in avengers end game, the cat was amazing , everything was on point as a marvel movie should be.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie with a few CGI Areas!
ashley_parker123410 March 2019
I thought this movie was very entertaining and was well-done. It had some humor which was great. I thought the cgi scenes where she flies was a bit cheesy. Brie Larson at time's could have been more convincing and there may have been a better choice for captain marvel but overall I thought it was a very entertaining movie. It also was a bit choppy at times and I thought we could have learned more about nick fury's past as well.
A challenge
pork389 March 2019
This movie was always going to be a difficult follow to Infinity war but, sets a backdrop through the MCU.

Corny, cheesy but fun is how I'd describe it. Too many haters, this was a fun, action packed blockbuster with a message. Enjoyed it far more than I was expecting too.
Awesome
abdullahaltun-853549 March 2019
This Movie was great and don't listen to the other reviews.
Great film!
I can see that some of the "reviewers" didn't even watch the movie, this is a great Marvel movie and it got me more hyped for the Avengers: Endgame
Marvel fans.
philipmurray869 March 2019
Normally don't post reviews but for this instance I will. I booked tickets before checking reviews... after booking I had read myself into expecting a disappointment.

The movie was anything but a disappointment. I felt it had a good mix of back story building, expanding facts/trivia on the marvel movies and characters we have already seen and had some decent action scenes.

Plus the music choices and comedy lines worked for me. Don't be put off. if your following the marvel cinematic universe see this movie!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On par with first Ant-Man, first Captain America, and Dr. Strange.
chrisgavidia9 March 2019
This film doesn't deserve as much backlash as it's getting from online reviewers....however I can understand the negativity slightly. It did feel like Disney was trying really hard to develop a strong female character using a basic story formula with a slight narrative twist . They had a target audience they were trying to reach and bring into the customer fold to increase revenue for their very well structured MCU and also appear progressive at the same time.

Where Gal Gadot succeeded as being a likable heroine with Wonder Woman you cared about and pulled for, Brie Larsons protrayal falls slightly below Gadots unfortunately. Larsons personality resonates and connected with the audience in some scenes, but in others felt very wooden. The producers of Captain Marvel had clear goals they were probably aiming to make with this film to fit into the great whole of the MCU.

With all of that said this is still a very entertaining movie and worth seeing with a plot that keeps you wanting to see the next scene and the first tent pole film of 2019 . The interaction between Fury and Carol helps this film significantly and of course the set pieces were very solid.

Don't go in expecting a Wonder Woman type film. Set your expectations to what you thought before Ant-Man and Captain America the First Avenger. In no way is this a Fantastic Four or Green Lantern or Iron Man 3 story bad or polarizing as The Last Jedi but the film is a middle of the road MCU film that is worth seeing that falls in with Age of Ultron and Dr. Strange. For sure check it out atleast once.