Captain Marvel (2019) Poster

6,332 Reviews
Just a girl who won the "over power" lottery without any character depth.
htutmaung5 May 2019
CGI and over power doesn't make a good film. It was like Marvel version of justice league. She could just fly through whatever she wants to destory. There wasn't any display of fight IQ or heart, something you see in Captain America or Iron Man. Just a girl who won the "over power" lottery without any character depth.
89 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hated-it!😡
laritaredmond12 May 2019
I'm a really big marvel fan, a very disappointed marvel fan at this point. I own every marvel film on my Apple TV but I wouldn't add this film even if it was free. I hated this film so bad I offered to pay my family to leave after I paid for the tickets. It truly was a waste of time and money! Squirrel girl would've been more interesting.😂
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BORING
Srna116 May 2019
I recently watched Captain Marvel and I was surprised over how boring it was. I didn't have very high expectations compared to the other Marvel movies because the movie seemed rushed because Captain Marvel is in Endgame. But the movies was worse then I thought.

Captain Marvel isn't likeable because she is supposed to be this strong and clever woman that never fails. That results in no character development because if she can't fail she can't develop as a character. She has also the same personality in the beginning as she has in the end. All of her jokes and clever comments just isn't funny because they make her sound so cocky.

The big plot twist in the end that the she is working for the bad guys doesn't work if you have watched Guardians of the galaxy(which is an absolutely fantastic movie). Her backstory is way too rushed and doesn't have a impact in the end. The reason why she couldn't fully use her powers was because of some chip which was just boring.

This movie did also ruin Nick Fury and The Avengers. In Captain Marvel Fury loses his eye because of her stupid cat(which just popped up in the movies and is never explained where it came from) and the Avenger initiative comes from Captain Marvels spaceship which I don't like.

This movie was boring, Captain Marvel is unlikeable and you don´t really care about any of the characters even Nick Fury is boring in this movie. I don't recommend this movie to anyone and you don't need to see this movie to enjoy Endgame.
40 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You don't need to watch this before Endgame
duongvietlinh7 May 2019
Captain marvel doesn't have any impact in the Endgame movie. With or without her it won't change a bit. So... And it's not a good movie anyway.
46 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Marvel Movie Ever
gabo_alepb6 May 2019
Bad writing. Bad directing. Superfluous and uneven. Brie Larson gave a cringe worthy performance.
81 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please don't hate me for being white brie larson
Unameb5 May 2019
The character captain marvel who used to be a man and changed for political reasons was thrown in right at the end of a 10 year story of I think 20 films. Luckily she wasn't a main character in endgame and I hope it stays this way for future films. There are a lot of timeline inconsistencies such as shield wasn't called shield till 2008 but in captain marvel which is set before 2008 Samuel l Jackson says it's shield. There are a lot of coincidences as well. The only reason this made 1 billion dollars was because of the name marvel not because it's good and certainly not because of brie larson. 1/10
44 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the overall number of stars.
When you read the reviews and do a little math it's pretty overwhelmingly obvious that the score has been rigged.
94 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7.1????
aikenkatie1 May 2019
Someone's been monkeying with the real numbers, IMBD....you got some splainin to do! Terrible movie all the way around, and Disney? You may want to rethink the man the man bashing approach, as around half of all movie goers are, well, men. ( I'm a woman, btw, just one who won't put others down in order to feel better about myself) Seriously would like to go to a movie for some real entertainment instead of watching someone's else's political agenda garbage push. No need to say anything more about this huge waste of time, money and potential as others have already said it better. Such a shame all the way around.
139 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hot garbage masqerading as female empowerment
curtishefner23 April 2019
The 2 stars are for good visuals. I liked the look of the movie. The story is a pile of incoherent fanfiction. Cinematography is about as predictable as possible...

If you've seen Brie Larson in Room, you know she can act well in a dramatic role. But the script for this movie does not play to her strengths. There is very little drama. When there is drama, it is dispelled by bathos or it has no stakes.

The audience could be invested if only there was a reason to empathize with any of the protagonists. But, since Captain Marvel never has to grapple with challenges beyond "I don't remember" and "Stereotypically abusive men didn't praise my perfection" - it's tough to relate. The true villain of this movie is Carol Danver's lack of self confidence. Though, this villainous doubt is usually hidden with snarky and snide comments, attempting humor. When Carol overcomes her lack of self confidence, she realizes that she is utterly perfect and totally powerful to the point of not being challenged by anything.

Captain Marvel (who isn't a captain) doesn't earn anything about her powers. It's like the opposite of Spider-man because there isn't even a typical sense of responsibility to accompany the powers. By "typical sense or responsibility", I mean the need to consider the consequences of action and inaction. Spider-man consistently grapples with risk to himself and others. He has a secret identity because he doesn't want villains to hurt his family and friends. And all other superhero movies in recent memory SHOW the audience the ramifications of failure and the NEED to get back up.

Remember the first Iron Man movie? Tony Stark was an arrogant, selfish rich kid pretending to be an adult. Then he encountered some major hardship and had to face his failure - the facade of his moral perfection got stripped away when the enemy was using his weapons. War profiteering - that had an effect on his chcaracter. Then he met a man who sacrificed to help him overcome. Then he went home and got coddled and told he was talking crazy - dang patriarchy keeping him down! So, Tony built a better suit with many trials and lots of experimentation and comical failure. And he learned to fly, then fell (almost to his death) as an ice block. He used his hard-earned knowledge to improve. Them he used his power to help the oppressed people who had been inoacted by his war profiteering - and got shot by the Air Force for doing so. Tony can barely go minutes of runtime without screwing up something or encountering some barrier to success. And those CHALLENGES endear him to the audience.

Carol Danvers is falling through the atmosphere when she has some kind if eureka moment or something that enabkes her to flawlessly fly. Too bad the audience of the film couldn't WATCH the inspiration happen. We see the result of the story moment, but we don't see the story.

What story we do see is totally nonsensical anyway though. Unstable tesseract goop empowers a pilot. Her enemy - who wants the tesseract and doesn't care about her at all - adopts her instead of killing her. She has no memory, so doesn't remember that she is powerful... except that she knows she can blast energy from her fists like Iron Man's hand stabilizers. But she believes her powers come from a microchip patch on her neck - even though NO ONE ELSE has a patch that gives those powers.

Why don't the others in her crack team get blaster arms from a neck patch? It's convenient for a soldier to not need to carry their weapons or remember to reload or clean their gun. "Disarm" is usually a metaphor, but in this movie it's literal. To take away Carol's blasters, you have to literally remove her arms... maybe her compatriots could benefit from such tech. But she didn't think to suggest that.

There are soooo many problems with this story. And I do mean the story itself. If Captain Marvel had been a man, the story would be just as bad. If you want specifics, just check youtube for videos that are 15 mins or longer about the movie. Lots of great observations about how the story is bad. The filmmaking is bad. The editing is bad. The visuals are good. The people are pretty. Everything else is bad.

And, come on! A stupid cat scratched his eye?! What a stupid way to destroy the credibility of Fury just fur a dumb joke. If this keeps up, Marvel's MCU will crash into dust.
95 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most powerful hero in the MCU (that destroyed all 10 years built MCU)
atipat-lorwongam13 May 2019
I dont have anything much to say, bad in every way!! I just dont enjoy watching this film!

Characters, story telling, background music, continuity of the MCU,

this movie is definitely the worst movie Marvel ever made till this date!
61 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacking character arc, Carol felt too plain
movies_and_chill30 April 2019
I was looking forward to the movie however, it was extremely disappointing. Yes, it's fun and it can be enjoyable if you can ignore everything else and solely watch JUST the action. But Carol has a lot lacking in her character and it was very hard to relate to her and feel for her. She showed very little emotions, we don't see her cry, and nobody knocks her down - she knocks herself down, and for character development, I feel like this is very bad. She has little to no reactions to when she is remembering her past, or even when she unlocked her true power. I feel like she didn't feel human, and she's not a very good role model for women as a female character, she's not empowering for women and could quite frankly be replaced with a male actor and it would still be the same. Which is okay, I won't say that, that is particularly a horrible thing but I feel like a strong female character should be inspiring for the women in the audience. She feels too dull. There was no character arc. Nothing that happens to her, even the shocking moments of the film, nothing changes her or shapes who she is. It's all too bland. The CGI and special effects are amazing, however, it's hard to ignore the flaws when the flaw IS the main character. I would personally not recommend the movie.
55 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i actually think the film itself deservs 4 out of 10 but brie larson is not a nice person
lusha1230 April 2019
Saw the movie, it had it's cute moments but mostly they made the main character ridiculously over powered (one moment she's having a fist fight with the villain and the next one she's going though whole spacecrafts with her punch) brie larson was not really convincing as a person who isn't sure who she is.. she had way too much confidence and the blue blood transfusion thing really didn't make any sense, also why would they restrict her power if she was convinced she's on their side?.i'll admit there were a few moments that i enjoyed (mostly with the cat) . but what made me rate this as a 1 star instead of a 4 star movie was the actress herself with her SJW attitude at interviews and saying stuff like :this movie is not for white people ,it's for colored women and lying about making her own stunts. usually i won't judge a movie by the opinions of the creators or actors but in this one it felt like she used this film to promote her own politic agenda and herself instead of making it what it is - just a movie everyone should be able to enjoy. she's not a public figure, i'm not paying to see a movie to promote you or your thoughts and celebs should realize that just because they're famous does not mean people want to hear about their political opinions, at this point i would suggest for her to shut up and be pretty cause there's obviously not much talent there.
63 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor and Unsatisafactory
shanthichacko27 April 2019
Not what i expected honestly,for a marvel character she hasn't faced any true test or travesty and is suddenly the strongest hero out of them all? Marvel should look into replacing brie larson in order to fully unlock this character's potential as I felt Brie Larson far too often showed no emotion and gave no personality to this character whatsoever
76 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad very bad character
pandeyabhijeet25 April 2019
Only good thing is jackson Captain marvel character is most badly written character to date. Such a bad movie This movie is the reason why i am alienated from marvel.
79 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure propaganda
ripper_spyky23 April 2019
Bad writing forced female lead A propaganda movie. Captain America retold but bad. Pure trash a waste of money and time. A CGI cat and a dead guy the only ones remerbamble from the movie
79 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My new Superpower after this: RESISTANCE TO SHEER STUPIDITY!
FIHMPlan2 May 2019
Watch this and I guarantee you everything you believed dumb before would look like sublime philosophy by comparison.
74 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meaningless
Filmcapss3 May 2019
This is the most disappointing movie ever. It feels like it was made by a robot and not real filmmakers. Brie Larson is terrible as captain marvel and the plot is generic and not original at all. Awful movie
82 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor is stronger
greenlantern20108326 April 2019
Not sure why this movie was made. It was unnecessary in my Opinion. They made her overpowered and seeing her in interviews makes her very unlikable. If marvel is going to go all spacey they should go with the guardians of the galaxy and make her dead lol.
72 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad.
tim-gates-522-76272217 April 2019
Not the worst possible movie ever but it's so close.
78 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the hype
itsmehudson1 May 2019
Don't believe the hype this movie is way overrated and easily the worst marvel has produced so far
58 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is this? Marvel!!
HiMoO210 May 2019
This movie shouldn't be one of Marvel's. It's shockingly driven to gender hatred from the scratch. This kind of Feminism is violent; where women are ripped off from their feminine identity and given masculine one. It's just the hair and the voice that make Marvel a women, otherwise you would see her as a man. Honestly, we don't need a masculine version of women to believe they do can men's jobs. Look at Wonder woman, a true heroin example; not this piece of dissolved identity that is sunk into the never-ending school battle between boys and girls. Additionally, Mar-vel was a man, based on the comics, who's given his power to Ms Marvel before dying and became her true mentor. Nonetheless, no body sees him in this movie, and no one redeemed him at all; yet a women took his rule and became her mentor. Gosh! Marvel! what is this?!
53 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The timing of making this movie does not make any sense at all, story-wise.
zhangle-845121 May 2019
This newly indroduced CM character is just shoehorning. Most of the storytelling in this movie is just contradictory with a whole lot of plots in some previous MCU films so this makes it more and more obvious that MCU executives were so anxious to make this movie despite that it may feel incompatible or cringy in regards to the previous films of this franchise. So this movie is basically not about storytelling any more, but about pushing certain agendas and politics. Maybe pushing agendas in a movie isn't necessarily terrible or evil, but good characters and storytelling should always come first. Building an unnecessary character and telling an unfit story, and in the same time, pushing agandas beyond the sensible limit, it just feels bad.
66 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE THIS MOVIE IS TOTALLY TRASH
kamalxousein2 May 2019
Lets start with the actor brie larson cant play super heroe and the movie did have any of sense terrible acting another trash movie from mcu
64 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
film was slow and confusing and pretty much boring
jameshaynaes30 April 2019
Film was slow and confusing and pretty much boring, its no make Adventure filling.
64 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When's the funeral
jamesoleary-099176 May 2019
This film was shocking stale and boring acting from Brie Larson and boring story which progressed slower than a snail. Captain marvel in the film was alsoexacrlt what you want from a hero destroying stuff, stealing peoples bikes, robbing shops and of course cant be a hero unless they have zero weaknesses. I hope they make a civil war 2 so they can kill off this awful charcter or at least recast her because Brie Larson can not act
59 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.