The Virtuoso (2021) Poster

(2021)

Possibly the stupidest hitman movie ever made
jackbaumel30 April 2021
The hitman is told where and when to find his victim, but not who. No name, no picture or description, just an obscure clue. When he arrives at his destination, there are multiple possibilities for him to consider. If you can get past that premise, it is still a mediocre and predictable bore.
63 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's wrong with Hollywood?
How good is this movie...... 20 minutes in and I vacuumed the house while leaving it play.
42 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awfully boring wannabe noir flick
devinderbonding30 April 2021
Very very slow, Anthony Hopkins was the reason I sat through this movie - what on earth made him do this movie. Dreadfully boring -- to say the least.
50 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just disappointing
bahram-movahed30 April 2021
A movie without any outstanding incident and pretty predictable story. The narrative voice over was added to compensate lack of excitement.
46 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly slow, with voice over narration
Xavier_Stone30 April 2021
The main actor narrating his own story gets old really fast with almost no dialogue in the first 15 minutes. Then it only gets worse. Poor over done acting and Mr. Hopkins makes a 5 min pointless speech to earn a paycheck, otherwise he has 20 lines in the whole film.

You'll get really bored about an hour into it, and then fast forward until the end, which isn't that interesting, and you'll think to yourself what a waste of time and talent this film was.
51 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy plot, predictable twist, and very shallow characters
solminafya30 April 2021
Ok, at first I got hooked by the trailer, which set me to expect something good out of this movie, and by Anthony Hopkins, who's (usually) a safe bet. And it was a mistake, I admit!

All characters are pretty flat and shallow, dialogue is superficial and performance is disengaging (specially Abbie Cornish!), and sequence of event's does not make any sense

Put all of that aside. Finishing the movie in retrospect I asked myself: WTF just happened??? The only answer my super ego dictated was that I wasted another 1:30 hrs of my life due to not responding to my gut feeling that it's a trap!

I really wanted to like this movie, but I couldn't. 5 stars for cinematography and Hopkins performance, zero for everything else except Abbie Cornish's performance that is -2!

If you find this review unhelpful (which is a sorta true) then imagine your disappointment when you watch this movie! Sorry.
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yawnfest
tulsi-das-khan30 April 2021
I was looking forward to this because I am a huge fan of hitman movies. The trailer was promising, it had Sir Anthony Hopkins and Abbie Cornish; what else do you want? Boy oh boy, they have butchered this. The movie is so boring right from the beginning that you'll find yourself yawning throughout the movie. Endless, poorly written dialogues, half hearted performances. You'll predict the ending within the first thirty minutes. Very predictable. Stay away from this trash.
41 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top-shelf gargage
carlos-pires1 May 2021
I've seen this formula a million times now: Ingredients: 1 x Idiotic, far-fetched plot no 8-year old kid would believe 1 x competent director 1 x competent editor 1 x star actor, preferably a Oscar winner add a couple more B-listers and a "strong female" character mix well, and voilá! There's your run-of-the-mill streaming service filler.

This movie is such garbage that I seriously wonder if Anthony Hopkins was blackmailed into doing it. Either that or he is in dire need for cash, or maybe starting go get senile.
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very boring movie...
dctr66630 April 2021
This movie has a great premise. I love movies about hitmen, so, this was one I was really looking forward to see, specially, because of Sir Anthony Hopkins being on it... Man, was I disappointed... The actors were bland, no emotion whatsoever... the movie dragged throughout the whole ordeal, the acting was a bit forced, sometimes... The only good things on this piece of cr*p was the effects on the first kill and the beautiful dog (I love dogs) and the lead acctress, that had a very nice face, not looking "fake" like many others... the movie itself, was boring, dull, and a real letdown... Do yourself a favour, only put this cr*p on if you are having a very bad case of insomnia...
37 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
mark-7653630 April 2021
It wanders and there really is no real plot. Hopkins should have turned this one down. He must be really hurting for cash.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most boring, convoluted, incoherent nonsense hitman story ever written.
Top_Dawg_Critic4 May 2021
I'm curious how anyone involved with the making of this film saw the final cut and said "awesome, let's get it out there!"

I get that writers James Wolf and Nick Stagliano (also the director) are newb filmmakers, but this is just a waste of everyone's (the viewers and those involved with the film) time. A 5th grader could've written a better screenplay. It had plot and technical issues galore. There were scenes that where irrelevant and/or made no sense. It was predictable. It was implausible. It was ridiculous. And you can't just use the word "noir" as an excuse to describe this mess. The 110 runtime was excessive for the little substance the story had, and the slow pacing got to the point of making this film annoying to watch.

The cinematography and performances were the only somewhat redeeming qualities. Sad to say this film doesn't do Hopkins any favors on his resume. It's a very generous 3/10 from me.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame
whitemanfromtowne1 May 2021
What a lame fim. I mean come on sir Anthony. You just won another Oscar and this is the best you can come up with? And Abbie Cornish must really be hurting to have exposed herself in this one. Showing your breast does not change how terrible this film really is. A regrettable one time watch or just a real hard pass....your call.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Recognisable actors taking a Payday for a weak production. That's the entire movie.
rochfordsimon30 April 2021
Painful watch. Anthony Hopkins and Eddie Marsden are the reasons I watched this movie. Slow, boring build to nothing. Waste of time.

Avoid.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and predictable
binayiisabar1 May 2021
Feels like you have watched it half a hundred times before.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow Burner
nick-watson2 May 2021
Although it is almost entirely predictable, with the entire plot is laid out for you in the first 30 minutes, it is not as bad as most reviewers would lead you to believe. The fact that the plot is again laid out at the end of the film shows how dumb they expect the average audience to be.

Most viewers today want/expect witty one-liners, big explosions and long, drawn-out car chases ... but that is not what happens in the real world, so it does not happen in the movie. This movie tells it like it is; cold, dark and lonely.

In short, if you did not enjoy it, it was not made for you, and you are the one that made the choice to waste your time.
25 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
KCbikerBabe4 May 2021
I adore Anson Mount. That said, I never want to see this movie again. The "noir" style was off-putting and the ending predictable. I was hoping for a leading man role that would allow Anson to shine. This was not it.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent: not amazing, not bad
fraser-simons1 May 2021
I don't know why people are so negative. I liked the slow pacing and, while I wasn't crazy about the monologue, it worked well enough. His voice is suited to it. Not a typical plot but not innovative. Satisfying enough.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow disappointing
bsrms2 May 2021
As also Anthony Hopkins master shame his talent wasted in this boringly narrative movie. The whole thing was awful. Want my hour back in my life. Hollywood doesn't have an original idea anymore.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh
hockeygirl-064489 May 2021
Please. Hopkins barely had to show up for this one. Probably shot his scenes in his den. This movie was a waste. The narration was stupid, the story was tired, and the acting was wooden. I could've written a better script.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soooo boring
jakubtraining7 May 2021
It is so slow and boring, with predictable twist. Even 2 great actors can't save it!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once you decided to use voice over to
housearrestedever30 April 2021
Replace the thoughts of the characters, it'd be a disastrous wrong step to start a movie; it's so lame and so lazy to use such stupid method to almost every scene and setting in this movie.

Besides, Anson Mount, who played the Virtuoso role, was not an ideal pick for it. Mount still implemented his aura when he played the fierce character in "Hell on Wheels" as totally inappropriate. A hitman or assassin should not show his intensity everytime when he was in a social contact with the common people. He just looked so different and stand out among regular people, he didn't blend in but a rooster among hens; that's an absolute NO NO in the first place. He's so intense and looked so obviously intense with animosity to others, only made him look so unprofessional. Then again, signed up Abbie Cornish to play the diner's waitress was another misstep unforgivable, but even so, she's more looked like a seasoned virtuoso than Mount, who played it. But Cornish really has to watch out her weight, it seems a bit of out of control and readily to explode. Hawkins, well, this movie got to borrow some heavy wt. Actor to fool viewers to think that this movie would be great, but not in the least. He's not a magician or savior to salvage a terrible screenplay with limited budget for a B movie and, I'd guess a large part of the budget was paid to him for his participation. As to Mr. Mount, your performance was just too 1 dimensional, you couldn't just bring your Hell on Wheels characteristics into any other roles you played. You're a handsome dude, but it could only bring you so far.

Summary: Don't waste your time like I did; don't bother.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what happened
ollivernick6 May 2021
What happened to acting in 2021? All these new action movies are cringe worthy are they all taking acting lessons from ruby rose or something.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reviewers, Its a fun movie, not 7 etc
goody-4234115 May 2021
I understand this film isn't a gem, don't think it was ever meant to be. But honestly other than the only one going to be left was pretty obvious from near the beginning, I didn't expect a perfect plot, I accepted the flaws re fingerprints and just sat back and enjoyed a movie a la Bruce Willis.

Has anyone ever claimed that the Die Hard series had a faultless plot, or even any plot at all to speak of ? Such is The Virtuoso. Sit back, grab a beer and watch the mayhem. Please don't bleat about plot holes or DNA stuff ups, get a life.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anson and Abbie
ferguson-630 April 2021
Greetings again from the darkness. It seems to this casual observer that once a person makes the career decision to become a hitman (or hitwoman or hitperson), their life expectancy drops significantly, as does their willingness to trust any person they meet, or at least it should. After all, the industry of killing is all about death ... it's simply a matter of whether (this time) you are the one doing the killing, or the one being killed. This neo-noir comes courtesy of writer-director Nick Stagliano (his first feature film in 10 years) and co-writer James C Wolf.

Anson Mount (so good in the "Hell on Wheels" TV series) is the titular Virtuoso. In typical noir fashion, he's also our narrator, and serves up a detailed explanation of his approach to the profession. He's methodical and meticulous in his precision and planning, and goes about his business in a professional manner, while maintaining a low profile and adhering to his own code. He even practices his facial expressions in the mirror preparing for the rare social interaction (it's funnier than it sounds). He does jobs for The Mentor (newly crowned Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins), a former military friend of his dad. Their minimal communication usually involves a name on a scrap of paper. The first job we witness is a "rush" job and collateral damage leaves Virtuoso burdened with guilt - something that is not an asset in this line of work.

It's the second job that takes up most of the run time. The Mentor provides only "White Rivers" as a hint to the identity of the target, and instructs him to be at the only diner in a place that barely exists as a town. Walking in, he sizes up those in the diner: The Waitress (Abbie Cornish, excellent as Fanny Brawne in BRIGHT STAR, 2009), The Loner (Eddie Marsan, "Ray Donovan"), Handsome Johnnie (Richard Brake), and Johnnie's Girl (Diora Baird). A bit later, the local Deputy (David Morse) is added to the list of possible targets.

The set-up is fun, and meant to keep us striving to stay one step ahead. Chris Perfetti adds a touch of humor in his two quick scenes as the motel desk clerk, and much of the tete a tete comes courtesy of the Virtuoso and The Waitress. Of course as with most noirs, we viewers figure out what's going on long before the hero, as the distractions are many. The budding romance offers up some seedy motel lovemaking, and the Virtuoso has an unusual living arrangement in his cabin in the woods. In other words, there are some excellent elements in play here, and it's difficult to pinpoint why the film doesn't play a bit better than it does. Mostly it just lacks the suspense delivered by the best in the genre.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reminded me a little of the Hateful Eight
irlmchan2 May 2021
A messy first person narration movie. There is no lead in to why the main character is of any importance for us to listen to him explain his trade craft.

I thought the convergence of players in the diner was similar to the Hateful Eight but they never allowed that tension to grow. Instead they played the story out in various locations and the movie lost all its potential.

The woman has a nice nude scene but that alone is not enough to recommend this movie. Out of respect for Anthony Hopkins' past roles and the 10 minutes he gets in this movie I won't say anything about his performance. If it was any other actor I would have trashed him. Hopkins should hire a new agent after this.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.