The Lego Batman Movie (2017) Poster

Just go
jasonthomas-934239 February 2017
I'm not sure how anyone can criticize this movie for anything. Its 2 movies in one. The kids see Lego's with colors, action and subtle lines they understand, but children are more focused on the action and not dialogue. For adults, it is full of Innuendos that keep you laughing non stop. I literally cried from laughing so hard.

So if a movie for a family is entertaining for the kids and makes adults laugh and not look at watch to see "when this is over", then that's a 10. No kids here. And my fiancée was like omg, what! When you leave a movie still laughing and repeating lines....10.

Kid tested, parents will hoot!
80 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not just a great kids movie, it's a great Batman movie!!!
Thekeybaldemasterrises10 February 2017
This is the best theatrical film based on DC property that WB has put out in years. Sorry fans but this blew all 3 of the cinematic universe movies out of the freaking water. Just like the movie before it, the LEGO Batman movie surprises yet again with a fun piece of imaginative work. It has the humor, the action, the animation, and surprisingly again the heart. We thought to ourselves a Lego movie would never work, it sounds like the ultimate marketing sham Hollywood could ever put out to sell toys, but it became one my favorite animated films of all time why? The first movie blew me away because it not only worked as a story, but it encompassed everything a fan of Lego remembers. In a similar fashion, this movie encompassed everything you know about Batman, and I mean everything. I swear there was almost a reference to everything you remember about him, from Detective Comics all the way to Batfleck. It sounds like I'm talking about fan service because yes, it is most of the time. They use it to their advantage here, they praise and mock everything great, and everything terrible Batman has gone through over the years. You almost miss too much because they cram so many funny nod ons and jokes you wish they had spread em out a little bit. But In other words, the script is a hilarious tribute to arguably one of the greatest superheroes of all time, and surprisingly the most emotional. The focus of the film actually deals with to me a critical factor of Batman. His isolation and loneliness, his fear of becoming part of a family again. The special relationship Batman has with the Joker. It hits all the emotional beats just right with all of its themes. It utilizes it's imagination of Legos to it's potential. And it produces a fantastic message for kids, as well as a touching tribute to fans of Batman. Seriously this movie had a smile on my face except for the parts when it really hit home for me. It also makes me mad, because the film proves that WB is just sitting on a character's pile of good material to work with, and they don't know what to do with them in their real films. This movie has such a stronger emotional impact than anything the DC cinematic universe has done with its last three films. It doesn't mean DC has to sell to Disney, it doesn't mean critics are biased against DC. It just means when you get people who know the material well, they're gonna make it a great film if they know what to do with it. That's what's happening here, if WB can take notes and study why this movie really works, maybe the Justice League and Ben Affleck's Batman film will actually make a better impact? Regardless, this is the standard animated movies need to have outside of Disney, and WB really needs to bring the heart this movie has into their live action films. If you love Legos and Batman what are you waiting for?? Go now!! You don't even have to take a kid, it's a total blast for all ages, and I will definitely be seeing it again real soon.
89 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Celebration of everything Batman!
hjalsayegh14 February 2017
It's odd that this would be the movie that takes a look back at 78 years of batman and says... yeah it's silly, LET'S CELEBRATE IT ALL!!!

I actually thought some of the characters in this movie were just a joke but nope, there really was a condiment king in the batman comics that walked around with a ketchup and mustard guns, there was a character called "the Eraser" that looked like a pencil!

Best of all was the most iconic villain from batman, the Joker! Just replace the word "hate" with "love" and it's a rom-com between the two with batman refusing to commit and Joker feeling like his "hate" was only one sided and he deserves better, Hilarious!!!

They actually reference all of batman from the silly TV show of the 60's, the bam and kapow that pop up in the comics when he hits someone, his dark night trilogy, you name it it's there... and sometimes they'd even play some footage!

If you know anything, really anything at all about batman then I'd recommend you watch this movie. age doesn't matter. The one flaw I could think of was how fast this was going with the jokes, at times I wish it would slow down because another one comes in before I was even done laughing at the previous joke.

10/10 and yay for parody not being dead!
56 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Whole lot of fun!
zomboyproductionz12 February 2017
This movie is an abs-olute (you'll get that joke after you see the movie)! It does everything a movie should do: let you escape from reality and just enjoy yourself

The movie has jokes, action sequences, jabs at the live-action Batman movies and shows phenomenal voice-acting, beautiful animation (like its predecessor 'The Lego Movie' (qv), epic cameos, and most importantly a heartfelt message!

This movie is certainly fun for the entire family-containing jokes and entertainment that will apply to all ages at once!

What are you waiting for? See this movie!!!!!!
57 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Enjoyable Ride Thrusting Us Back Into The Lego Universe
Calum Rhys6 February 2017
Growing up, Lego meant everything to me, my aspirations of becoming an architect, and even the result of me studying design engineering in university, were all due to my fascination with Lego as a child and the complex structures you could craft and create. In 2014, upon the announcement of 'The Lego Movie', despite my love for the toy, I was kinda doubting the general premise. How could you make a movie out of Lego? Well, that question was soon answered as I gawped in awe at the screen, the movie was fantastic. Now, the character from 'The Lego Movie'' that garnered the most love was Batman, a cocky, sarcastic, childish take on the superhero we know and love... well it was only going to be a matter of time before he got his own motion picture.

'The Lego Batman Movie' was definitely an enjoyable ride, and whilst I think it lacks in comparison to its predecessor, it stills thrusts us back into the universe that we came to revere in 2014. With an admirable cast of voice talent, and stunning animated visuals, 'The Lego Batman Movie' boasts undeniable creative talent, but does at times seem to be trying a little too hard to be funny, building off the reputation the initial film garnered.

Is this film worth viewing? Most definitely, it's a hilarious feel- good animated comedy, and definitely perfect for the younger audience. I actually saw this film prior to its full release during a preview a few days early, however I believe it may have been aimed more as a kids matinée... I was literally the only adult there, shameful I know, but heck, I didn't care. The kids in the audience continually laughed with glee, so its definitely something suited for that kind of audience, but don't skip over the older adults who are still children at heart, it's an alluring comedy that piles on the laughs, definitely worth a watch.
41 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bloody sick movie.
adam15 February 2017
loved this film. i never normally laugh in the movie but did to this (maybe because of the joint i smoked 5 minutes before but unconfirmed). Id rate this better than the Lego movie.

I expected the story to be about Lego batman in the Lego universe but i was pleasantly surprised to see that it was basically all DC universe characters and settings, apart from a few villains which worked well anyway. Master building was only mentioned once, which was nice.

Strangely enough, this movie had better character development that the last batman film we saw. This needs to be rated AT LEAST an 8 because i loved it.

highly, highly recommend. try and get later times to avoid the annoying children narrating the entire thing
48 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lego Batman is as fun, funny, inventive and touching as you'd want it to be
ryanjmorris6 February 2017
Let's be honest for a second and agree that The Lego Movie should never have worked. On paper, it's a horrible idea. Yet, Phil Lord and Chris Miller did what they always do - take a strange and unwieldy idea and turn it into something great. Including Batman in The Lego Movie seemed a bizarre choice, but the Will Arnett voiced character was a highlight for pretty much everyone who watched it and it didn't take long until a spin off was announced. With Lord and Miller only serving as producers this time, the satisfaction of The Lego Movie wore off and we were all sceptical about whether the spin off was a good idea. It turns out that, just like last time, we never needed to worry at all.

When he isn't fighting crime as masked vigilante Batman, Bruce Wayne (Arnett) lives in recluse in his mansion with his butler Alfred (Ralph Fiennes). His arch nemesis, the Joker (Zach Galifianakis), rallies together an endless group of villains to attempt to rid Gotham City of the Batman, all while new Police Chief Barbara Gordon (Rosario Dawson) proposes that Batman abandon his solo nature and work alongside the law enforcement. After a misunderstanding, Wayne also accidentally adopts local orphan Dick Grayson (Michael Cera), who he reluctantly takes on as a protégé. Eventually, it is down to Batman, Grayson, Gordon and Alfred to battle the Joker and save Gotham City.

If it sounds kind of mental, it's because it is. If you thought The Lego Movie was high octane and relied on energy, it pales in comparison to The Lego Batman Movie. But, once again, here we have a film that is not only zany and energetic but also consistently funny, mindbogglingly inventive, nimbly structured and genuinely touching. While it loses the surprise effect that made The Lego Movie such a treat and its conclusion doesn't rival the sudden foray into live action that made its parent film so poignant, Lego Batman remains a highly enjoyable film that puts a smile on your face from beginning to end.

I would comfortably say that this is a funnier film than The Lego Movie. The jokes come thick and fast, a large percentage of the film is more than prepared to drop at least three jokes per minute and they all land. There are digs at other recent Batman stories - most notably Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman, obviously - and multiple other references to other films, but Lego Batman even finds room for more adult humour (how the number plate on Bruce Wayne's car made it into the final cut is hilariously baffling to me) and countless sight gags. The faux stop motion animation style carves the way for some brilliant little visual flourishes that add depth to the film's comedy - it isn't just content to run one joke into the ground, rather it consistently finds new comedic territory and makes every joke its own.

The way Lego Batman even lands on something genuinely moving in its finale is even more impressive. You could make a case for the film's central theme being a bit obvious when it comes to Batman - the whole film is pegged around isolation and loneliness and how you combat that to form a human relationship of any kind - but it handles it excellently. It's written smartly enough to simultaneously act as a life lesson for small kids as well as a powerful sentiment to older viewers. The fact that it has a better grasp of Batman as a character than Batman v Superman did isn't exactly surprising, but what is surprising is just how committed to this theme the film really is.

It doesn't just form it around Batman. Young Dick Grayson feels the same emotional distance, Barbara Gordon only wants to do well in her first challenge as the new Police Chief, Alfred wants to help his adoptive son refocus his life and even the Joker just wants to comfortably know that he really is Batman's arch nemesis. It all sounds silly, and of course it is, but Lego Batman excels whenever it combines the silly and the thoughtful. Thankfully, that's most of its run time. The voice acting is faultless all round, too. Arnett remains the obvious highlight for too many reasons than can be explained, but Michael Cera, Ralph Fiennes, Rosario Dawson, Jenny Slate, and Channing Tatum are all delightful as well.

Lego Batman's biggest triumph, though? It perfectly reminds us that the concept of a Lego Movie shouldn't put us off anymore. There have been weirder franchises in cinematic history, and while this sounded like one big cash grab from the word go, everything we have seen in this Universe so far has been terrific. Lego Batman loses that surprise element because about ten minutes into the film you stop worrying, you just know you're going to have a blast. I mean, how could you not? The less said about a plethora of other characters who appear in the film's second half, the better - but it's hilarious and unique and wonderful all at once. If just one film drops in 2017 that's more fun than this, what a year it will be.

TO SUMMARISE: Dazzlingly inventive and unrelentingly funny, The Lego Batman Movie adds another enjoyable and surprisingly moving entry to the ever impressive Lego Movie franchise.

www.morrismovies.co.uk
68 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
loved it!
MattyAndAnnika11 February 2017
Wanna see a film that will just keep you laughing all the way through it? Well last night we certainly found one, "The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)". Lego Batman was a film that we had been waiting to see and last night we headed out to the theaters to enjoy some laughter.

From the start of the movie it was on! This movie was Lego at it's finest, Batman took Lego films to a whole new level of laughter. Every few minutes we couldn't stop giggling. The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) was filled with Batman singing his made up songs, The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) is a movie that made us finally feel like a kid again; awesome from start to finish!
53 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I usually hate Batman, but...
mistoppi16 February 2017
I love the Lego Batman! And I love this movie! It is so good! The LEGO Movie is one of my favourite films, and The LEGO Batman Movie is just as good! Of course the universes are a bit different. The LEGO Movie is a mix of, well, every possible universe, while The LEGO Batman movie is mostly DC universe - with a mixture of different villains released by Joker. Also that certain meta feeling is not there, that was in The LEGO Movie, but that might've been good. The difference between the two is that The LEGO Movie was, in a way, about Legos. Now the characters in The LEGO Batman Movie are made of legos, sure, so are buildings and all that, but it's not addressed so much. We don't have to think about it. It could be just another superhero movie, apart from few jokes that require Legos.

This was so much fun! Since I obviously went to see this in English (and since the subtitles didn't work), the audience was mostly grown ups, and every one of us was laughing. And there were so many kind of jokes. One of my favourites is Batman saying it would be stupid to have villains fight villains.

And of course The LEGO Batman Movie isn't just action and fun, even though that would've worked too. There's some pretty deep and important stuff about Bruce getting over his fear of intimacy and all that. Of course all that is kind of sappy, but hey, when isn't stuff like that sappy? It's still really nice to see Bruce Wayne / Batman actually have more character development in The LEGO Batman Movie than in the whole Nolan trilogy. Also there are probably a lot of adults out there who might actually see their own issues in Bruce Wayne, who is not going to just be dark brooding Batman and never let anyone close. And also I mean it gives children a nice lesson about family as well. Altogether all the life lessons in The LEGO Batman Movie were so nice, and even if they were sappy, even someone with cynic's traits might melt a bit. I know I did.

Right now I can't think of anything wrong with this movie. It was a great experience! It has the best parts of a children's movie and a superhero movie. It's an excellent movie, better than any other Batman movie, and the only Batman movie I've given a full 10/10.
37 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids movie that Parents and Adults will enjoy
gunmasterg96 February 2017
My 5 year old son had been bugging me wanting to watch this since he first saw the trailers. Skeptically I booked tickets for a preview and went along thinking I would let him enjoy this whilst i got an hour or so to have a nice nap :-). From the word go this movie is hilarious with a lot of jokes that older kids/adults will find. in certain aspects i enjoyed this more than my kid lol. Sont of the one liners are brilliant - especially the password that Batman has set for his computer which is not the one he says in the trailer. A great fun movie which took the Batman from the LEgo Movie and made it even more awesome. A top rated movie from me.
51 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought it would be fun
preacster2314 June 2017
the first trailer back then was funny as hell, so were the first 20 minutes.

there were a lot of references to DC and batman, but its really lame after 20-30 minutes...

usually i like batman and Lego movies... so i thought that's a win-win situation... but i was really disappointed.

the second half was a real pain to watch.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie of 2017!!! (So Far)
adonis98-743-18650311 February 2017
Bruce Wayne must not only deal with the criminals of Gotham City, but also the responsibility of raising a boy he adopted. Just like The Lego Movie from 2014 this is once again a very well made movie with lots of laughs and lots of action sequences especially the 3rd act was incredible. Also if you saw the trailer you will know that this film has a lot of Easter Eggs and References to previous Batman Movies such as "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" or "Suicide Squad" or even "Batman & Robin" plus there's a great sequence with the 1966 Batman Theme on the background and it's actually pretty good. Although it does make fun of Batman's history "The Lego Batman Movie" brings a lot of great emotion between Batman, Alfred and Robin and it showcases his relationship with his friends and even enemies such as The Joker. Also once again Batman fell for Batgirl but instead of being very weird like it was in "The Killing Joke" they found a smart way to pull that of and even the pop culture references or the big Marvel Easter Egg worked because this was a good film that was executed very good. It does have some small issues tho: the first was that sometimes the humor was a bit too much and 2nd having Batman being a rapper was also a bit too much at times but overall if you're a Batman fan you won't be disappointed and both kids and their parents are going to love this movie. (10/10)
30 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than Batman in the DCEU but not as good as Lego Movie...
justin-fencsak13 February 2017
From the creators of the Lego Movie and executive produced by the now Secretary of the Treasury for the Trump administration, the Lego Batman Movie is one of the best movies of the year. Chockful of fourth wall humor and tons of brick and mortar action, this movie features an all star cast of superheroes and villains, not to mention cameos from other franchises and classic Lego toys to make up for what's the longest of the Lego movies. There are some moments when the adults laugh a lot and there is kiddie humor as well. I highly recommend seeing this while it lasts in the theaters to get the full experience. I can't wait to see what the Lego Ninjago Movie has in store when it opens in the fall of this year!!!
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)
rockman18219 May 2017
Disclosure. I didn't love The LEGO Movie, everyone else in the world may have though. That being said, I didn't really care to see this film. I like Batman and all the films associated with the Caped Crusader but this LEGO take on him didn't really interest me. I watch everything though so I did check this out with low expectations. While its not as bad as I thought it was, I'm not really sold on the LEGO franchise films and don't really anticipate to enjoy whatever future installments that may be planned for this series.

The film is a comedic take on Batman. He fights crime but is actually very lonely. He has no one to really share his life with despite being popular and having a cool mansion and cool gadgets. He adopts Robin (who is actually quite greatly voiced by Michael Cera), falls for Barbara Gordon, and has to face his arch-nemesis, The Joker. You get a bevy of other Batman characters and villains, and oddly enough you also get villains from other franchises like Voldemort and Sauron. If you are a fan of LEGO and the first film, you may feel like you're in heaven watching this.

The film is similarly animated to The LEGO Movie and carries on being gag heavy. While I appreciated some of the jokes, there is just too many and they come at you too fast. You have to keep up with everything. I appreciated some of the witty references though. It's a light hearted take on a franchise that is notoriously dark (apart from whatever Schumacher was going for with his films). I did think the relationship and interactions between the Joker and Batman were pretty great.

The film runs out of steam about halfway through and its hard to keep reacting to what is going on in the film. Its not a bad film really but I just can't see myself coming back to this film again or being optimistic about any other LEGO based movies (I just know there are many more to come; the LEGO cinematic universe is upon us). I think the film offers a really good voice cast who all shine through in their voice performances. Its just that this wasn't a memorable experience for me.

6.5/10
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Falls off after the first 20 or so minutes.
OneEightNine Media18 February 2017
Darn. Just darn. This film started out sooooo great! I was literally thinking while watching, "Whoa, this is going to be better than the first Lego Movie." Sadly that is not the case. The film slowly loses its momentum after the first act. The second act drags on. The third act plays out like a scene for a Micheal Bay Transformers movie; in other word the third act is just random CGI-chunks of garbage flying around the screen for 30 minutes.

And a minor thing that bugged me was Batman and the Joker's relationship. Ever since the original The Dark Knight Returns comic, people have been overthinking the Batman/Joker set-pieces resulting in a flawed dynamic between the two. Why do you think we haven't had a relatively smart or entertaining original Batman/Joker study since 1995 on paper? Because of the lame stagnation of thought coming for people trying to milk the DKR story to death. And here is an lame and pathetic example of which. That is just my two cents and a bonus tangent. Before anyone points out Nolan's Joker to me, I'll remind you that Nolan's Joker was ripped off the pages of some of the earliest incarnations of the Joker from the comics. But whatever, this film ultimately is a huge letdown and time will come to prove me right, once the hype dies down.

I swear. If Batman Forever and Batman and Robin would have been released this year, the majority of people would 'love' them because marketing and hype told them to do so. I'm seriously worried about the future.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stinks, not funny, and extremely primitive
EskeRahn19 March 2017
The worst thing about this film is that it is not funny. They have tried REALLY hard to overfill it with self-irony that does not work in lack of humour... The ONLY time I laughed a bit was a tiny scene an hour in, with some funny musical choices on Robins ghetto blaster. OK there are some rather nerdy references to Old British Robots http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059126, that only old farts like me at 50+ remembers, and numerous other references. But they aren't used constructively. It seems more like stealing ideas was easier than getting them... The 'morale' is so thick and sticky that you choke on it, and they hammer it in all the way along, from about the first to the last scene, as this morale is the only thing this film has to 'offer'... The film lacks so much in charm and odd-value compared to the first that was good. But it is not technically bad, and no major f-ups in the whole thing, so let me be KIND at give it 5/10
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like Playing Batman With Your Un-Cool Mom
michaeltong-291801 June 2017
If the first Lego movie was about a son messing around with his father's Lego and the two eventually finding common ground, then Lego Batman is what it's like to play Batman with your annoying nagging mother in the form of Bat Girl.

The film opens with a similar energy as The Lego Movie, but it falls apart very quickly and the story becomes mired in the very clichés it's attempting to poke fun at.

Batman isn't good at working with others. It's a theme that has been explored countless times. Yet despite the self-awareness of Lego Batman it still manages to drag on and get annoying as hell. It's the same theme that made Batman & Robin so obnoxious.

Pretty much every time Bat Girl opens her mouth it's like listening to a lecture from your mother about playing well with others and obeying the rules. Here you are just trying to role-play as The Dark Knight and you have to listen to someone talk about the virtues of teamwork. Many if not most animated kids films tend to incorporate some kind of moral or message (which I don't have a problem with), but this is way too in your face and heavy handed it sucks the fun right out of the film.

Another problem is that Lego Batman doesn't give you much reason to care. The Lego Movie succeeds in this by having an average Joe character as well as the sub-plot of the son and his father, and you can clearly distinguish the dramatic and comedic moments. In Lego Batman the tone is incredibly muddled, shifting from manic to dramatic in an instant while it tries to shoehorn in character development.

For Lego Batman they took what was basically a good gag in the Lego Movie and tried to stretch it out for an hour and forty minutes. It doesn't work unless you think Big Bang Theory is funny and that references to nerdy things are jokes in and of themselves. Granted there are some pretty funny moments scattered throughout the film, mainly in the first two thirds. By the last third of the film they've exhausted pretty much all the jokes.

On the technical side it looks just as good as the first film and the realism of the Lego textures is something to admire. However, I did notice a lot more cheating this time around. In The Lego Movie everything was made out of Lego, even smoke and water. Here, smoke is just obvious CGI and so is the water. The characters also stretch and extend in ways that Lego pieces can't, which was done in Lego Movie but concealed much better.

After being blown away by the brilliance of Lego Movie I was very disappointed by Lego Batman which couldn't live up to the very high bar its predecessor set. Lego Movie was full of heart whereas Lego Batman felt like an attempt by DC to damage control a lot of the negative attention they've received for their handling of Justice League. Lego Batman relies entirely on references and fails to create a unique or compelling story, as such I can only give it 5/10.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overtly Sentimental
david-sarkies1 April 2017
I should start off by saying that I do feel sorry for the poor guy sitting next to me in the cinema because it seemed, like me, that he came to see this movie basically because it was Batman and it was done using Lego, however it became pretty obvious pretty quickly that his daughter had no interest whatsoever in seeing a Batman movie. I guess it is one of those drawbacks in having a daughter in that they tend not to appreciate things that boys tend to appreciate, namely Batman. Anyway, moving on I am going to say that I really wanted to like this film, it was just, well, overtly sentimental. Look, there were some really cool things about this film, such as having Sauron and other classic bad guys teaming up with the Joker, but in the end the film, to me, really didn't execute all that well – I guess it might have something to do with me expecting much, much more that it eventually delivered.

So, as you can guess, the film is about Batman, and it is done (sort of) using Lego. Actually, I should probably suggest that it is an animated film using a Lego style because I suspect that it actually isn't filmed simply using Lego. However, what it does do is that it pays tribute to pretty much all of the batman films going back to the beginning of the franchise, and even has a few references to the current Justice League franchise, which even includes the tension between both Batman and Superman (though I suspect that that may have come from the comics, it is just that I don't particularly read that many comics).

The thing with this film is that it plays up Batman's loner characteristic quite a lot, which is something that is heavily played out in the later movies. It seems that this whole Batman and Robin aspect is actually a thing of the past because it seems that many of us who have only grown up with the Christopher Nolan (and current) franchises don't see Batman as being a team player – it appears that Batman and Robin are actually a thing of the past. However, what this film seems to be doing is trying to recreate the Batman that was a team player, and actually had friends. However, it felt as if the moralising of the film – that is that it is better to play together than to play alone – sort of came across a little too heavy handed.

What was cute about the film was that it brought out all of the franchise's villains, and even had Harley Quinn, a character that I had no idea existed until Suicide Squad. Sure, like many of the Batman movies, the Joker plays the role of the lead villain, and what is interesting is that all of the other villains are pushed to the back, namely because the Joker is sent to the Phantom Zone where he frees all off the really, really bad villains that end up there (though interestingly Zod isn't among them, despite the fact that Superman made mention of sending Zod there are the beginning of the film, but that doesn't matter because they have some other pretty good baddies). The interesting thing is that what the Joker wants from Batman is a little respect – it seems as if Batman's loneliness goes over to showing a complete lack of respect for his enemies as well (though showing respect for one's enemies is an interesting concept because respect and enemies isn't something that generally goes well together).

What makes a good children's film is that it obviously appeals to the children, but also has the chance of appealing to the adults as well. This film actually had quite a lot of potential in that regards, however it didn't quite reach the mark. The concept was really, really good, and in part the film was very entertaining, however what ended up causing it to flop, at least in my opinion, was the rather heavy handed moralising. What would be interesting though is seeing where they take the Lego franchise from here.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fun First Act That Falters Towards the End
SquigglyCrunch21 April 2017
The LEGO Batman Movie follows Batman as he accidentally adopts a child, meanwhile the Joker plots to take over Gotham City...again.

The movie starts out really good. The humor is spot on, the directing is solid, it was setting up to be a lot of fun, at the very least. And while it was fun, the plot wavers as it reaches it's climax.

It switches from the goofy, fun, and over-the-top tone that it'd been building up for it's entirety into an awfully serious, almost depressing movie. And while that isn't exactly a problem, the movie did a good enough job developing the characters through comedy and the like, it still had an atmosphere of seriousness, so a lot of the comedy was lost in that. I found it hard to laugh at a joke when the tone was constantly conflicting.

Furthermore, the movie is, like I said, fun, but also reasonably original. Or at least, it's not horribly formulaic. It follows a character with actual problems that people have, and it manages to have this all encompassing tone that is, while realistic, hilarious in how over-the-top it can be at the same time. But by the end it divulges into a formula-driven kids' movie. Characters make decisions that may not always make the most sense, and events take place that are just way out there. It becomes hard to enjoy towards the end, and even though there are a few tear-jerking moments, it still feels just a little off.

Probably the biggest disappointment was the animation. Yes, it's still LEGO, and yes it still looks great. But part of what made 'The LEGO Movie' so charming was the fact that it was made to look like stop motion (the frame rate was lowered). With this one that isn't the case. Everything is so smoothly animated that it almost doesn't matter that everything's made from LEGO bricks. I have no idea why this change was made, but it wasn't a welcome one.

Overall The LEGO Batman Movie is, while a lot of fun particularly at the beginning, it falters towards the end when it comes to conflicting tones and formulaic events. It wasn't a bad time at the movies, but the last act was a lot of flip-flopping. Sometimes it was really good, while other times it was hard to sit through. In the end I'd still recommend this movie, but by the standard that 'The LEGO Movie' set, it's not nearly as good as it could have been.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grab The Kragle, cause this film is crumbling brick by LEGO brick.
theVade11 July 2017
I walked out of The LEGO Batman Movie more confused as to what I was going to give it than any other movie I've reviewed before. Sure the acting, comedy, and animation were fantastic, but that still doesn't make up for its horrible pacing and lack of a real villain. With a cold heart I decided to stay with my gut and award The LEGO Batman Movie an "Alright" on theVade Review Bar or a 5 out of 10. Yes I might have been a little too harsh on this film, but when animated films like WALL-E can blow me away, I won't let films like these slide. So grab The Kragle, cause this film is crumbling brick by LEGO brick.

Read more at theVade.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre at best.
sjplovett20 April 2017
How best to summarise this boring movie? tough one. The only jokes that worked were the references to older, better movies, including the 1966 film. Despite being prominently featured in the advertising Harley Quinn has about 2 minutes of total screen time, which is mostly just her either introducing the Joker or handing him an item. DC is still trying to push a Batman-Batgirl romance upon us despite it being incredibly creepy both because she is at least 20 years younger than him and because she used to date his adoptive son. Speaking of Dick Greyson, gone is the circus background, instead we get a "geek" from an orphanage complete with glasses, perfect for fighting crime. As for Batman himself... sigh, its just sad. This entire movie is nothing but an insult to the Dark Knight and his crew. Still, the kids will love it.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Interesting Failure
Knox Morris21 March 2017
This recent spin-off of the often hilarious "The Lego Movie" is a terrifically mediocre hodgepodge of jokes and episodic, uninteresting action. I found myself bored with the assembly line-constructed script. The action is so overextended you lose interest. The audience might laugh incessantly at the Joker/Batman subplot and the now famous "Dick" joke, but it just proves that the world is becoming one big mass of brainless organisms. We go to the movies to be involved and emotionally satisfied, not to see humor-laden Michael Bay explosions. On a storytelling level, it's similar to Airplane II. It recycles what worked before and coats it with fan service. The only real difference between the two films is that Airplane II is a good movie, The Lego Batman Movie is almost, but not quite a good movie. Visually, The Lego Batman Movie is some sort of eye candy. The landscapes and characters look so tangible. On the less positive side, this is further proof that we've focused less on story and more on how we can appease uneducated idiots. If you must see this movie because your family forced you (or you're a Lego fanatic or DC enthusiast), go in with the lowest of expectations, and you might come out with mildly positive results.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for 15 minutes of inside jokes
191411 March 2017
This block takes a hard dive into Snooze Feast 2017. If this was 1933 the movie would be cut up into two dozen shorts between Lassie & the Bowery Boys trilogies . What a money grab...but in the beginning my movie watching neighbors seated next to me laughed ,guffawed and Hyena snorted . Now fifteen minutes latter it was dead silence like a Lion took over the Lego carcass. So repetitious mind numbing boring, went from cute to dredging the bottom of the popcorn bucket just to have something to do. Should have brought my own Legos as this cash grab numbed my senses like the DMV long line kiddie coaster ride at LEGOLAND .
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LEGO Batman is a must watch
Taylor Batts11 February 2017
I went to the theaters to see a funny and goofy Batman movie, and i got one. The movie from start to finish is hilarious for the adults and the kids. Id say the adults will take more from the movie. The kids will like it to see Batman kicking butt and the little jokes. The other jokes in the movie are for the adults and its amazing. They used so many DC characters that we don't hear about anymore. They referenced so many comic book and batman movies. Even the costumes they showed were actual Bat suits he has worn. I enjoyed the movie so much. A very fun time for the adults. There is one joke that they say that is to much for kids but its hilarious for the adults. Im not going to say the joke because you guys need to hear it for yourself. The movie is a great time.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.