A Warrior's Tail (2015) Poster

it is a mess
john-cojocaru13 December 2015
Come on... it is a mess. Without any sense, no story-line, too much of everything... What is good for me in this animation is music - that's all. I think 5 is too much for such a non professional work. And it is not about that it is done by Russians - it as all about screenplay - bad. I saw this animation till the end to understand what is all about and if it is possible to show it to my 4 years kid - no way... Not very bad graphics with very bad story. And that's not counting the borrowings - in the beginning the monster comes into the hut - Brotherhood of the Wolf, the monkeys - The Jungle Book, hyenas - The Lion King. Characters looks like they came from the pen of the Japan-China animators. This eared Pokemon looks very strange? Shaman and knight from Ronal Barbaren was the cherry on the pie...
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the notes are so low?! I loved this movie!
szefu319 November 2015
Seriously? I don't get why the movie gets such low notes? Because it's not silly? Because it doesn't have hundreds of millions dollars budget for it, like Disney movies? It doesn't mean it's bad! I loved the movie. Of course it's a simple movie. Because it's an animated movie. But it's a wonderful, smart, adorable, touching and very funny movie! It's so much better than other silly movies like farting peanuts... This movie is really smart and informative. There are really funny scenes and jokes, and the characters are great! I enjoyed this movie so much, I was smiling and laughing like I haven't been for long! I recommend it to everyone. Not only to the kids. I'm 23 y/o and I loved this movie :) Go and watch it!
36 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a good film
andreacarr15 March 2016
My daughter age 7 likes this movie very much. she is wondering why so many bad reviews!'It's funny but the hyenas are a bit strange.' she says.The hyenas don't look like hyenas..they are very colorful and they don't really have laughs.Some of the characters are a little bit scary but not bad enough to give you nightmares. She wonders what happens to some of the characters at the end as the film only tells you what happened to the boy. She would watch it again if she didn't have anything else to watch. She also wonders why there are a few characters with long ears. She thinks the movie is as good as any Pixar or Disney animation film. She hopes some more kids will give the movie better reviews and more stars!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful production and offensive messages
virake16 December 2015
This is the first animation that was imported to Ukraine from Russia AND fully voiced in Ukrainian. Before, we used to only get subtitled versions of Russian movies and TV-shows (though, one might wonder why are we importing anything at all, considering the war). So, despite being understandably cautious, I was expecting something at least half-decent. Russians aren't at all that bad at making animations and movies ― I've watched a lot of them and I've found some very worthy ones.

In "Savva", however, we can clearly see politics bleeding into the territory of art. The result of such process is a piece of not art, but barely concealed propaganda, a product of Russian brainwashing industry. The most prominent example of it is the animation's portrayal of villains ― hyenas, which were painted* in blue and yellow, Ukrainian national colors. Symbolism of this is beyond obvious, it's practically screaming 'Ukrainians are evil'. At this point I was surprised this was even allowed to reach theaters in my country.

Also, one of the voice-acting stars who voiced Ukrainian version of "Savva" was Vladimir Zelensky, an actor and a TV-series director known for his anti-Ukrainian attitude and offensive statements. His photo was even featured on this animation's posters. I hope you can imagine in which way this fact influenced my impressions of the title.

The parts of it that are not trying to plant a toxic idea in your subconscious aren't good either. A pile of random ideas crumpled together, the execution of which is pathetic. Some people might like background music, but to me it seemed like a wasted effort. The story is not interesting, in fact, it's barely even there.

All in all, I'd say "Savva" is just bad. It's poorly made, and it's harmful to your mental health, unless you count brainwashed as a natural state of mind (you WILL get brainwashed, eventually, if you subsequently watch this, or the likes of it). So, please, do yourself a favor and stay away from this atrocity. You'll thank me later.

* ― there's this speculation that they weren't originally supposed to be like this. In the first teaser (03.03.2011) hyenas were shown to be green and yellow, instead of blue and yellow. However, we have to judge the product by its final state.
37 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful movie with a story I could not relate to
maiacdlp12 August 2016
Before watching this movie, I watched the trailer, which made the movie seem okay.

The entire hour and a half that the movie was playing, I was thinking: this movie does not relate to real life one bit.

Movies can have dragons, fairies and elves and they still have something to do with real life.

The Disney movie "The Princess and the Frog" at least said that you had to work hard for something to get it, but Warrior's Tail simply said that all you have to do to get something is to wish for it with all your heart.

In a part of the movie, Savva is looking for the man with the heart of a warrior, which for some reason was believed to be in the attic of the wizard.

There he sees his clouded reflection in a mirror, believing that it is the warrior. Later realising that it was only his reflection, young Savva thinks that he is the man (boy) with the heart of a warrior.

Dude, it's a MIRROR!

But, obviously he's right, and then he leads the army, and wins the war, even though he never had a single sword-fighting lesson in his life, but that doesn't matter because he wished with all his heart.

Honestly, it would be great if I could live where you live Savva!

But then again, I had to give it 2 stars because in 2 points in the story, it went against sexism.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie is pretty awful.
Pipwicky27 March 2016
Terrible writing and voice acting in the English version was truly awful. Maybe it was just a bad translation. I liked most of the animation style. In English the movie was unwatchable and I had to turn it off half way through. I could not stand listening to any more.

Milla Jovovich's voice acting as the young male lead character was just off. The tones were all wrong, all the wrong emotions, terrible timings. It was distractedly bad and did not fit at all.

I can see where it might of been good in the original Russian. They blew their budget on big name voice actors and got a hack writer to vomit a script. Maybe a fan made subtitled version will become available and I can try watching this again.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New worst movie ever.
familypendragon4 September 2017
New worst movie ever. OMG! What kind of drugs were these people on?!?! Holy crap. I've never heard so many horrific stereotypical accents/characters, ridiculous dialogue, trite plot, and totally incongruent story line. It's almost worth watching just to laugh till you cry at how seriously they appear to have taken them selves while making this utterly horrific trash. It's like a train wreck though... I can't stop watching. What the hell bizarre crap will they throw in the mix next? Aliens? Dinosaurs? Anyone's guess.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I lost my time
nykyruj11 February 2016

Totally agree with You.
13 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable but forgettable
nathanielderyckwilson4 April 2019
I was happy to find a russian animated movie. Russia has a wonderful heritage, as testified my Sky Arts having a Block in its programming dedicated to it for a time.

This is mostly likeable, though generic fantasy adventure which doesn't give us much in the way of charcterization but is fun nonetheless. There is at least one annoying (and flatulent) character who adds very little and the over all charm is as modest as its animation.

I didn't hate this but it's not something you should feel bad for missing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good graphic - friendship theme
Is a cartoon just to be. But many good movies start like this. Is good for kids under 7.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Universally awful
Possibly THE worst animated movie I've ever witnessed.

Warriors Tail is replete with social, ethnic and racial stereotypes and some bizarrely adult cultural inferences to be making an appearance in a kids movie.

The amateur-hour animation, incoherent plot & storyline just makes no sense at all - really odd cut scenes & score.

I'm not sure who is more to blame for this abomination - whoever financed it or the big- name cast who leant their names to this rubbish, sucking in poor, unsuspecting viewers.

Avoid at all costs.

I have no idea what was going on with this.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Far better than the homogenised pasteurised, social lobby driven Disney or Pixar, drivel.
ramkoil31 July 2017
I watched this title recently and found the story to be simple but refreshing. The animation was beautiful, facial expression was novel and not typical boring sighs and rolling of the eyes out of pixar that is so cringe-worthy. It is not by any means even close to anything out of Ghibli studio but over all a far better show that anything out of Hollywood. I was very surprised by so much prejudice in some of the reviews here. It seems some deranged people watch children shows for social or political statement. I rather watch them for entertainment value, and to show some genuine human emotion, that is so much lacking in the factory line production that is called Hollywood. From human emotion depiction this title is OK but not great, (for better human emotion production I refer you to Japanese animation like "Wolf Children") however from entertainment and fantastic Art and faces this animation is very good. The mere fact that girl faces did not have the mean squint smile so common in today Pixar production was well worth the watch. And not once I saw the rolling of the eye or the stupid sigh that is so common. Hope to see more animation like this. Good work. I recommend it
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Movie
justsewsouthern4 February 2017
My 3 year old son enjoys watching this movie on Netflix. We have seen it over and over. There is a lot of characters, and drama in the plot. The music is great as well. The only thing I do not care for in the movie, is the racism comment that is made by the Monkey Queen. When addressing some of her monkeys she calls them "crackers" and they speak with southern/hillbilly accents. It might be that I am from the south, and that is why I find the comment offensive. Or maybe I am thinking too much into it. It took me watching the movie about 10xs (cause when you have a 3 year old that likes a movie, you will watch it over and over and over again)...to catch the comment. I am trying to decide whether I want to continue to allow my son to watch it after the political/racist comment was made. I would advise parents to watch the movie first, to make sure it is something you would want your children to watch.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
suedale101-885-6244955 March 2017
Excellent story. Excellent animation and coloring. Highly recommended. I would put the quality above and beyond that of many higher rated animated movies. It is a wonderful movie full of wonder, drama, excitement and feeling. And, with the talent of those that have English translated this film, it's a wonder that the ratings aren't higher.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing
tiki-271154 April 2018
No movie is perfect. But my children and I love it. I'm sure of the poor rating it due to the mention of God. That usually turns people to say "bad movie". The concept is great. The storyline is great. It leaves a few questions but almost every movie does.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.