The Bureau (TV Series 2015– ) Poster

(2015– )

Brilliant French TV Series
Cuscaden29 September 2016
Unlike some of the other reviewers, I am British, the old enemy :)

This TV Series is absolutely brilliant. It is a masterpiece spy thriller that delves deeply into the fascinating world of French espionage and counter espionage. The production values are excellent and all of the actors do a stunning job in their roles.

Season one was already an amazing TV production, and the second Season is even better. I cannot recommend this French series enough, for viewers like myself whose French is not great there are options to view the series online with English subtitles. If you like spy dramas or TV series which delve deeply into the human experience then I believe you will love this.

This is one of the best TV series I have watched. Absolutely fantastic.
194 out of 203 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Review Like None Other I've Ever Composed
rujoeking7 March 2017
Short and sweet ... I've never done it before, but couldn't have held out for a more appropriate subject.Le Bureau des Légendes is, 'hand's down', the best television series I've ever had the joy of watching. If not for the pathetic feeling of loss knowing that i am 1 show away from the final show of the 2nd (and thus far last) season, I would have none but the most high and exalted of regards for the show. The writing, production values, acting, character development, all things of salience to excellent TV are super-abundantly present in The Bureau. Okay, already losing the 'short and sweet' struggle. Just one last comment: the best TV series ever.'
96 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Among the best TV ever produced
kickeeen21 October 2017
As an avid watcher of films and TV series, I've been on IMDb for quite a while, but I've never written a review, even though I casually read reviews from other users. However, this is the first time I feel I need to urge everyone reading this to watch this TV series.

There are loads and loads of TV series about different fields of the intelligence sector, but few of them succeed in being as smart as the agencies they are trying to depict. With Le Bureau des Légendes, it's the other way around. As a viewer, you are constantly being left to guess what everyone's next move is, knowing only little or nothing at all, just like intelligence work in real life.

Agents constantly have to think at least three or four steps ahead and even if you succeed with your first move, there is no guarantee at all that the remaining moves will be successful. As all those actions are being taken on risk assumptions, it makes the series a gripping ride and makes you constantly feel like you're on the edge. The writers, actors and camera men pull this off brilliantly, much thanks to the outstanding writing which makes every single TV episode feel like a miniature movie. If you do some research about how the show was made, you'll notice that part of the production got never before authorized access (even though limited) to real life DGSE, which really shows off.

However, it's not only down to the writing, but to the acting and filming as well. The casting crew has done an amazing job. You can feel the chemistry between the actors and especially from Mathieu Kassovitz and Jean-Pierre Darroussin who bless us with amazing performances.

I don't want to make this review into a TL;DR piece, so I will shortly summarize by saying that Le Bureau des Légendes is one of the most intelligent, tense, gripping and brilliantly acted espionage dramas I've ever seen. The series, which just gets better with every season, is among the best TV ever produced. If you're reading this and you haven't decided if you'll watch it or not - don't wait, as it'll not wait for you.
79 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best of all spy series?
robert-temple-130 July 2017
This French spy series is entitled in the original LE BUREAU DES LÉGENDES (THE BUREAU OF LEGENDS), a 'legend' being a carefully invented fictitious background and identity for a secret agent. In Britain and America the series is known by an English title as THE BUREAU. This is a review of all three seasons. I cannot think of any spy film or spy series which has approached this one in quality. It is simply the best. As everyone seems to know by now, American spy films and spy series are often funded by secret slush funds of the CIA, as PR efforts to make their spies look glamorous and patriotic, rather than sleazy and dubious. Who could fail to admire and love all CIA agents after being dazzled by the cute charm of the delightful Piper Perabo in the series COVERT AFFAIRS (2010-2014)? If they are all like that, as we are meant to believe, well then how do we get her phone number? She is irresistible. And when do we join up so that we can have the chance of being 'operatives' beside her? Although this French series appears to have had assistance from the French CIA known as DGSE (pronounced 'daygaysuh'), if only in being told how IMSI devices work, and other such intriguing technicalities, this series is certainly no propaganda fantasy to make people want to join. It has more than just a down side, it has a deeply tragic side. This series attempts to get to the bottom of just how great a cost betrayal, manipulation, and deceit have for its daily practitioners. They may be saving the world from ISIS, but they are not saving themselves or their loved ones. Nor are their own characters going uncorrupted. The acting is spectacularly good. This series is as good about spies as SPIRAL (aka ENGRENAGES, 2005-2016, see my review under 'E' for its French title) was about the Paris police. (And by the way, a surprise sixth season is belatedly appearing later this year for SPIRAL.) I have rarely seen any TV series with such impeccably perfect casting as this one. And all the roles are played with genuine depth. There are no cardboard characters in this series, they are all so well-rounded that we feel embarrassed sometimes at the intimacy with which we come to know them. The boldest, and one might say most outrageous, bit of casting for this series is Sara Giraudeau as the character Marian Loiseau. It could have failed disastrously, but in fact it works brilliantly. She is an apparently shy, lisping, wimpish, and babyish girl with a little girl's tentative voice who seems not only harmless but hopeless. But in fact she is a ruthless 'warrior' for DGSE (to use Henri Duflot's word for her). As courageous as she is, however, she does eventually suffer from terrible panic attacks while on missions. She is one of the most unexpected and spellbinding creatures in this amazing zoo of spies. Another bit of unexpectedly successful casting is the plump black agent of very few words, Irina Muluile, who plays the character known as 'the Mule' (strange coincidence with her real surname). She conveys more by saying nothing than many actors do by talking too much. The lead actor of the series is Mathieu Kassovitz, as the agent 'Malotru' (aka Paul Lefebvre and Guillaume Debailly). He delivers a magnificent performance, of enormous range. He has to play a character who is in so many wildly varying situations, including being an ISIS hostage, that he has to be ten people, not only one. This kind of challenging lead role is any actor's dream, and Kassovitz fulfils that dream admirably. The other lead actor is Jean-Pierre Darrousin, who plays Henri Duflot, the head of the operations section. He is an older man, nearing retirement, who is calm, quiet, concerned, conscientious, and thoroughly competent. He is like a father to his team. One of the lead actresses is Florence Loiret Caille ('quail'), who is subtle and superb as the deputy head. She says bitterly near the end: 'I never cry. My parents called me "the stone".' Whether she ends up finally crying or not I leave to the viewer's suspense. Zineb Triki (of whom there is almost no information on IMDb) is another female lead, playing the character Nadia El Mansour. She is astonishingly dignified and with a commanding presence, huge soft eyes, and limitless sadness in her gaze. She plays a Syrian, but the actress herself is of Moroccan origin, having left that country in 1995 at the age of 15, studied in France and Canada, obtained a degree in political science, became a journalist, and is now an actress. One could go on and on listing all these people who did so well, but that would involve naming the entire extensive cast of 30 episodes. All of this is the product of the 'creator', Eric Rochant. He originated the series and wrote the scripts, and he then produced and directed them all. (Clearly, he never sleeps but works 48 hours day.) It is all nothing short of a work of genius. Previously he wrote and directed the film MÖBIUS (2013). It is clear, then, that Eric Rochant is not merely a paragon but a marvel. It would be impossible to give even a cursory description of the many intense and parallel adventures of the characters in this series, as the plots are so complex and interweaving, and the stories so dramatic and powerful that they sweep one away. It is all profound, with both expressed and suppressed emotions, and thoughtful reflection amidst all the non-stop and heart-stopping action. The suspense and intensity never let up for one second for the entire series, and by the time it is over, one has worn out all the edges of all the seats, and one is a frazzled emotional wreck. Hold on tight, everyone.
107 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As brilliant as it gets. The best spy series ever, and it keeps getting better every season!
maria-ricci-19836 December 2018
I cannot praise this show enough. I agree with other reviewers on the high bar this show sets for the genre. It is the French Homeland, but more credible, low-keyed and deeper.

Everything distills quality here: a really, really superb script which is intelligent, sensible and gripping to the end; extraordinary characterisation and performances from the main to the last character; tremendous production and attention to detail; credible information about the metier; an impeccable direction which keeps extreme suspense and intrigue, only without the flamboyant, explosive special effects so inevitable in American series, but it is still very action- and field-oriented.

Season 4 is really fantastic, it has not decayed in the least. The addition of Mathieu Amalric makes an extra bonus, with the talent he brings to fore in every performance. Marie-Jeanne acquires more weight in the show in the most positive sense. Florence Loiret Caille is such a superb, nuanced actress! And the priceless Kassowits recreates his complex Malotru, the antihero always full of surprises which you respect, admire and love as the seasons go by. He is the perfect spinal cord for the show.

In short, this is the most exciting show in the year. I really hope it will maintain the high quality and the cast in years to come, to the delight of all the genre lovers. Kudos to everyone involved in the production!
43 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
markmscott-114 January 2017
This series, the second season especially, seems almost perfectly made. It is much in little in every scene, and it makes haste slowly. Intellectually and emotionally satisfying, the writing, the acting, and the filming rarely make a false move. Rarely, because the scenes of the prime spy's writing alone, shirtless, at his desk, in voice-over, strike me as unnecessary, and the American CIA chief, who was so good in "Friday Night Lights," is made to play here as if he were an Anglophile precisian: it doesn't come off. The immediate superior of the main spy plays his part brilliantly, and there isn't a weak actor in the French cast and Middle Eastern cast. So many details are funny and telling at the same time, and yet never detract from the wide scope and long narrative of the series. Nor does the Syrian connection, seeming to come right out of the headlines or even ahead of them, hurt. This is yet another series that makes so many feature films seem a waste of time and money.
56 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
40 points to destroy America
mediodetrito14 March 2019
This series simply broke me. Never imagined that I'd never watch my fav series of all times with the very same eyes. This is far way better than any American thriller series that I've ever seen. The veracity of the dialogues and facts are extremely powerful. This is how I've always thought the life of a spy should be, kind of like any of the rest of us. And remember, the magic here is in the details. Simply and mundane things that you'd do or say on a regular basis. Ten over Ten.
30 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't miss this fantastic, realistic spy thriller.
rs82826 October 2017
the plot, characters, scenes, stories, side stories are fantastic, realistic and believable. Nothing over the top and nothing underwhelming. only thing i wanted when it was finished was another season. most foreign language shows don't keep me in the zone (binge worthy) due to having to read subs, but i couldn't stop loading episode after episode. i did wish there was a little more action but totally unnecessary. don't hesitate to watch this, you won't be let down.
37 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best spy series by far
aplulondon8 December 2019
When you know about the quality of the cast, the track record of the director/creator, and that the French intelligence services and former spooks contributed to the scenario, expectations run high for this series.

When you realise that it is embedded in reality and about the work of intelligence services, namely gathering and analysing information, for which the tools are brains, psychology, assets, emotions, manipulation, trading, disinformation, treachery, cyber war-fare, and other skillsets, that it's not glamorous, and that it's far less about big weapons than being able to put 2 and 2 together and making sense of constantly shifting sands and highly fluid situations, based upon which political and military decisions are made, then you know that you are onto a treat.

And, what a treat! Suspence, twists and turns, moving parts that don't always come together; all of this and plenty more are delivered, and keep you on the edge of your seat.

This is not James Bond or Jason Bourne, far from it. This is about the fastidious and ungrateful, yet highly dangerous and stressful jobs of those people evolving in the murky waters of the intelligence world. Not all saints, not all sinners, often both, and always faced with difficult decisions and their ensuing consequences, not the least guilt and sadness.

And, because intelligence officers and agents remain human after all, portraying their emotions and vulnerabilities so vividly by digging deep into their characters makes this series as real and raw as it gets.

P.S.: Watching it in its original version with subtitles in your language will take you one step closer to the action.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply brilliant
annimack11 October 2017
This French spy thriller leaves the equivalent US shows for dead. US shows like Criminal Minds, etc. are just the same old drivel each season.

This series was riveting right from the start, though slightly slower in the first couple of episodes as character profiles were established.

Most characters are very likable and none became annoying like they do in the US shows.

I only hope the creators make more seasons as I fear that a trilogy is all we are going to see.

Absolutely brilliant series!! Magnifique!!
46 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding Spook/Spy series on TV
sfglightburn-2187711 December 2018
This is the best TV show I have seen to date. My friend from China email me and told me to check out Le Bureau. I had to subscribe to Sundance to start watching season 1. I was hooked and it just kept getting better and better.

I love watching British Spy series, but this French series is the best one I have ever seen. Even with my slow reading the subtitle. I know it has a disclaimer at the beginning of each show but this TV series is so believable it is scary.
29 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The French know how to make a spy thriller
munnabhaimbbf27 April 2020
You will love this series. It is brilliantly written, the actors are skillful and the realism is quite close to what you see in current geopolitics. This series establishes a new standard for spy thrillers upon which other series will be compared.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rewarding low-key approach ... compelling French spy drama
ok_english_bt7 July 2018
The reviews I've read here about Canal+'s 'Le Bureau Des Legendes' seem to cover it. I'd only add that its more nuanced non-sensationalist approach works better than many similar political-spy dramas I've seen recently. The apparently ordinary people working out of an office go about their everyday lives as extraordinary events unfold around them. Eric Rochant's series builds the tension gradually, which gives the big 'moments' greater impact. And at the heart of things is a beautiful love story, of course! Don't know how accurate 'Le Bureau' is as regards DGSE and the French intelligence network it portrays, but found it credible and gripping as a series. Still can't find it in myself to award it a '10' (think it would have to be in my native English so I could follow all the verbal stuff to do that), but I'm certainly looking forward to more of 'Le Bureau Des Legendes' (they're making a 4th season, right?).
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best drama I've ever seen
blakejoealt7 November 2019
I am not sure what's happened to American television and movies these past few years, but if they want to learn how drama is done, they should pay attention to this show!
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is top of the top.
erikssonsens8 June 2020
Oh. My. Lord. This is good!! The happiness and joy I feel when series is so well done and acting of cast so totally flawless. Thank you France!!!
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best series, ever.
asatornkvist2 June 2020
This is such a masterpiece. Script, actors, photo- everything is of such excellence. Shakespeare would have been envious. Watch it!
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Up there with The Americans
ravivenkitaraman14 April 2020
I just finished Season 3 and IMO this is the best offering on TV today in the spy genre. It's detailed, feels authentic, and the plots and scripts are tight with very little wasted screen time. Add to that great locales and solid acting, and that puts it at the very top of the category, along with The Americans, and significantly ahead of other genre offerings such as Homeland.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling realism, or realistic thriller
espenbookman20 April 2020
Can only agree with other commenters - this must be one of the best TV- series made, and definitely one of the, maybe the best, spy-/thriller series out there. The hidden world of secret services is realistically portrayed and with a nuanced look at the world, something sorely missed in so many other similar kind of series. Fascinating series, particularly since it is set in the middle of the current political challenges (the civil war in Syria ++) and so much is recognisable. An intelligent series that makes you want to see more. Highly recommended.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tres magnific
sas20144 June 2019
Simply the best tv series I have ever watched. Got chronic insomnia due to watching episodes back to back sometimes 72 hrs none stop.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taunt, believable, intelligent and contemporary spy drama
robertemerald23 April 2019
This hasn't got the riveting excitement and hysteria of Homeland, and lacks the cinematography of Berlin Station. It is definitely in the same league however and sparkles with intellect and charisma. Lovers of the genre have been truly spoilt this year!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
French brilliance...
hamlet-165 May 2018
This a hard series to watch at times even though there is relatively little violence shown the dialogue bristles with threat and the lack of human warmth is chilling.

The actual plots, because there are many concurrent stories in play are almost not important. Agents face death or worse in the field while their handlers in the main office plot tactics like a game of chess.

Loyalties are tested ..strained to breaking point ... is the enemy ISIS or Iran or is it the Russians Israelis and Americans? The UK barely gets mentioned by the way.

(For us in the South Pacific the DGSE is known for one thing .... the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior on the direct command of Pres. Mitterand. An act that cut deeply into the friendship between France and nations of the pacific.)

However this a brilliant tv series on a par with the BBC's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or ITV's Callan from the early 70s. No wonder it is a hit in France.

There is a sadness and hollowness to the lives of the characters. And they know it.

It is brilliantly realised, gripping and not to be missed.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will hook you. French Homeland
boydpeters26 September 2018
Exceptional series. Cannot be faulted. Simple as that
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sets the high watermark
chucklebud9 July 2018
Very much enjoy watching programmes from different cultures exactly because of the cultural differences. The Bridge would have been my previous high watermark but The Bureau has surpassed it. It's not a story that we've never seen before but the detail, character development and plot twists are paced brilliantly to stay in sync. The fact that Malotru is writing the story as we see it happen isn't new but adds a great edge because of what his writing does (or doesn't) suggest!! The acting is top rate and after the first series I couldn't wait for more. Series 2 didn't disappoint either and now I'm just waiting for series 3 to become available on Amazon without me having to pay yet again (which I'd do in a heartbeat if I didn't take the perspective that this is why I have a subscription!!). Don't miss it!! If you like tough, challenging thrillers and dramas, this is where it's at.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb Experience
fhelisch25 May 2020
I don't usually give 10's for anything, and I don't think this TV series is perfect either. However, I feel that this is the best TV series I have ever seen, so a 10 it is. The series strikes a nice balance between a low key approach to the genre that emphasizes realism and intelligence trade craft, and on the other hand side an engagement with the protagonists and their characters and personal affairs. The personal side is also treated with some detachment that allows the viewer to be more of an observer than an advocate, although given the tragedies that befall them one cannot but grieve with them. There is an underlying theme to this story I think. The creators show in detail what the human cost is of working in the intelligence profession and the personal struggle, brutality, and courage it takes to do this kind of work. It is by definition a dirty business. In many ways, the series reminds me of another favorite TV series of mine, The Wire, which takes a similar approach, and applies it to undercover police work. The morale here seems to be that as much as intelligence work relies on cold calculations of national interest in a hierarchical, bureaucratized environment, it is still held hostage by the very human emotions of its actors. Compassion and romance creep into carefully conceived operations as the very stressed out pawns in the intelligence machinery do their best to reconcile the demand of their jobs with their conscience and hormones. One area that I think could have been given more coverage is the motivation of these people, although it is hinted at and ranges from patriotic duty to a taste for danger. Also noteworthy is the fact that although enemies abound, there is no overt vilification of any one person, nation, or ideology, making this series a welcome departure from the simplistic hurrah patriotism that usual infuses works about the military and intelligence.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twisting and intriguing
kristianfuruskjeg29 December 2018
Through all four seasons you are kept on the edge of your seat while agents and half-politicians are making still new plots.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.