Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (2015) Poster

How to make an entire book fandom hate you
maddisonfield11 September 2015
I am so unbelievably unhappy with this movie! The writer of the script has completely dissed the original most exciting plot from the books to some stupid ridiculous mainstream apocalyptic story.

None of this happens in the book. None of it makes sense. It's called "The Scorch Trials" as in trials from wickd. Not some stupid escape adventure! I was so excited for this movie and I'm going to be honest, I left the cinema fuming with anger. If you're going to create a movie based on a book, actually go by the book plot. Don't make you're own and expect everyone to be happy with it. I'm sure the writer of the movies just ticked off an entire fandom.
312 out of 415 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original Story Line Butchered so Badly the Film Lost it's Cohesion
femmegirl-9766626 September 2015
It is as if the concern of the producers and story writers were so focused on the movie's DBOX worthiness that they forgot to include the story line.

I went to this movie with two friends that have not read the books, as I have. Both walked out of the movie confused..."Where did the virus come from?" was the first question that they asked.

The beginning of the movie should have included the reason why W.I.C.K.E.D. created the Maze, explained what the Flare is, and introduced both groups of Maze runners. Instead, the audience is lost in visual effects without knowing why the action is happening. To add insult to injury, the writers turn the virus infected people into inhuman, biologically altered zombies. The immune are now a commodity for a short term fix to the virus problem. So much has been lost by these adaptations that the result is a vague and confusing zombie flick. I almost walked out.

This was a wonderful book that should have been an incredible movie.
128 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the Hell…?
aprilhoffmann28 September 2015
Short version: Read the book, but don't see the movie. OR, go see the movie, but don't read the book. Just DON'T do both.

Long version: There really are no words to describe how far away this movie was from the book. It was like going into a theater expecting to see The Terminator, and seeing Braveheart instead. Both great movies, but NOTHING similar about them. Besides the character names, lightening, and some sand, NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING about this movie resembled ANY part of the book. Nothing. I read the book in one day, two days before I saw this movie. I was so excited to see this fantastic book come to life, and I left sorely disappointed.

I'm not sure if the author of the book was involved at all in the decisions that went into the writing of this movie, but they completely bastardized, completely changed EVERYTHING about his story. Even the core motivation behind the 'who and the why' was different.

It simply was not the same story at all. I've seen many books made into movies and I'm familiar with the huge and often disappointing changes they inevitably make, but this was off the charts. I've never seen anything like it.

If you haven't read the books, then go see it. It was fun enough. But please don't bother if you enjoyed the original story; because it's a completely different one.
96 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Back to the same YA adaption you've seen before....
dan628820 September 2015
While the first Mazerunner set itself away from the pack of YA Dystopian future film adaptations, Scorch Trials jumps on the bandwagon.

I even got them all confused at one point. Isn't there a 'scorch' and a 'wall' that prevents those why-are-we-so-dangerous Divergents from crossing the void? Isn't there a great dictator and our 'only hope' youngling who vows to 'kill' him/her in Hunger Games? Isn't there a group of important-but-we-don't-really-know-why kids running around in Kanye West's latest fashion line in both of those films? The first Mazerunner kept the mystery, pace, energy, and most importantly action, all at such a great length and mood of importance, that it was hard not to like. Scorch Trials tries to keep that energy, but this time around it feels forced and misdirected.

Not to mention the run-time that is completely unnecessary. Like 'Mad Max' the plot is thin. They escape, they run, they escape again, run some more, a little bit more escaping, they run again, they escape once more, and end the film with.... we have to go back and 'finish' this.

Finish what?! What is so damn important?! We don't know because the whole film works like a long filler episode of television. Just as two characters are about to reveal hidden memories to one another or answer important plot questions, they stop! I find that to be unbearable and annoying (especially since it occurs several times from beginning to end.)You never have a single conversation end in this film. It's all hints, hints... nothing.

And once the film ends, it ends with two lines that make no sense. "I'm going to kill her." Why? Does that stop WKD? Nope. Then a response. "What is your plan?" --as our hero responds with a look out in the distance-- we cut to black..... because you don't have a f*cking plan. Because none of you have a f*cking plan. There is a constant mood in this film, and the Divergent films, and the Hunger Games, that something is important, some kind of a minuscule idea is important, but we're gonna take 8 films to kinda-sorta find out what that important thing is.

Consensus? I now consider the first Mazerunner a great film that'll have to stand on its own. Skip Scorch, or wait for DVD. The good things? One or two moments of action (not scenes) that are well done. And in general the scope, set pieces, and CGI are top notch.
59 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so a-maze-ing
oskar-mellblom9824 September 2015
I really enjoyed watching the first Maze Runner but I didn't think this was quite as good.

The Scorch Trials got some great and intense, action packed scenes, good acting and cool environments but that's it. If you liked the first movie you may like this too or you may get a little disappointed. Don't have so high hopes on this movie.I still enjoyed it a bit but I think it got many bad parts.

I'm not a fan of zombies so I hated the Idea with zombies in the desert or (infected people with a virus, Cranks). Everything is about Thomas in this movie. Everyone knows him and he does not know them. He does not even want to know who they are. That's so weird. I got tired of everyone calling his name. It felt like there was never a scene without Thomas in it.

I think the most irritating part is that Thomas and the others do everything they can to escape from the "WICKED", they go out in the scorch and some of them dies. Later on one friend of his is getting caught by the WICKED again and Thomas decides that he will turn around. They barely even made it out from the scorch and now they turn back after 2hours of the film because one friend got caught? (also because he realized he wants to fight the WICKED now and not run away anymore). It felt like a meaningless adventure. I think they could just skip to the 3rd movie right away.
56 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much wrong with this film.
crash76er119 September 2015
I really liked Maze runner, but still don't understand why they didn't just build a ladder to the top of the wall and walk out. This movie was full of WTF stupid moments that really bugs me.

Like why didn't they just turn off the generator when they noticed that that's what brought the zombies to life?! Instead they just leave it on and like Monty Pithon they run away, run away!

When Brenda and Thomas see that creepy growing red stuff on the walls of the sewer, anyone else, after all they have been through would have taken one look and said nope, I'm outta here, but instead they have to go fully investigate this dangerous looking creepy stuff. They could have found a better way to have Brenda get infected.

When Thomas makes an impossible heroic save of Brenda from falling to the ground through the glass, are we really supposed to assume they had no trouble at all getting back to the doorway above and clear from danger?!

When that guy is shooting the big gun off the back of the truck, first of all he is a horrible shot not able to hit a huge helicopter and second, why didn't he shoot the transport before the kids got on it. All the bad people were on it and ripe for the killing and yet he does nothing.

I also thought Mary's character was way too short lived. Brenda and Thomas relationship was not played out well enough and I really don't like Teresa. Traitor bitch ;) Also couldn't they find a better song than After Midnight? AC/DC or Disturbed or something that sounded like destruction would have made for a better scene.

I have not read the books, but maybe the film would be better if they hadn't heavily diverted away. Either way I think it was lazily written and I want my $6 back! Lol
75 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vapid sequel that raises serious questions about the point of the first film
grandmastersik18 November 2015
If you're a teenager looking for some adventure that isn't all "dark" and "gritty" - the buzz words of films nowadays - then you may enjoy this. If, however, you can't stop asking WHY? constantly, then you'll most likely end up hating it.

The Maze Runner wasn't a very good film; in fact, I only watched this because I was in the room with somebody who wanted to see it, so I gave it a chance just to see if an explanation for the first film came about.

The surviving teens from the Maze Runner link up with kids from other Mazes, and the first one of them to arrive at the prison-like complex shows Thomas, the film's hero, enough to make him question a conspiracy against the teens... that soon leads to them making an escape.

With zombie-like creatures beyond the complex, the teens go from out of the frying pan into the fire, as they discover that they are immune to the virus, which is why the were sent to the mazes in the first place.

Okay, so if they're immune, why did one of them get infected? No, that's not a spoiler, it's actually what we all expect to happen given the amount of zombie films we've all seen, but if you can let that go, you can carry on.

The teens then reach a settlement and decide that they want to hook up with the resistance, because The Hunger Games are so popular. I mean, there may be another reason, but in an apparently hopeless world, one would imagine that their best bet would be to seek out land to cultivate and become the new leaders of society... after all, isn't that what the Glade was preparing them for?

No, it wasn't. In fact, the motives behind the first film are never explained, but instead just become more and more ridiculous as the plot plods along, cliché and cliché. Let's face it: if Wicked already has medicine but requires the immune teenagers to obtain it, why stick them all in Mazes around the world to watch them get killed off?

If you can get past that, the end is another big cliché that absolutely no-one will ever see coming (irony), and then Thomas stands up, gives a speech and we can expect the decimated "resistance" to rise up against the evil enemy who doesn't seem to use lethal force against them, despite them using real bullets on Wicked's troops, in a third installment.

I bet you can't wait for it.
43 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice movie on so many levels!
palavitsinis22 October 2015
To begin with, I have to let you know that I was not aware of the existence of any book before I saw the first and second movie. So, comments like "you ruined the book", etc. don't make sense to me.

I saw the first movie on a DVD and this one in the movie theater. For me it was pure entertainment for the entire duration of the movie! I liked the thrilling scenes and the chase from the zombie like people. At some points I could not help but thinking that it a PS4 game and at some point they would turn over the control of the actors to me and I would be left alone clicking on X or L1/R1 to run as fast as I can! I liked that but many may not like it. For me this was awesome!

The acting was OK, as expected and really similar to the first one. It's not like you wait to see an Oscar-winning performance there, right? I really enjoyed all the special effects and the amazing scenes from the cities that are crumbling and falling apart. The movie seemed a lot longer than it is. The action-packed and full story behind it, gave too much information and left me feeling really "full" after watching it and this was not because of the XXL pop corn that I ate!

I will go to the movies to see the third one, with excitement! And yes, it definitely is an "8" in its genre. "7" felt like a minimum, so I would easily give a "7.5" with pleasure! If you don't like this kind of post-apocaliptic stories, wait till it's out in DVD, don't spend money in the movies. If you do like them, go and see it, like yesterday!
62 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible, terrible, terrible!
macaj-777336 November 2015
A film with little substance or meaning. Zero plot, zero character development and zero fulfillment after watching. Cardboard actors, poor plot line (wasteland zombie survival by inexperienced 'teens' with luck on their side). I simply cannot understand why Hollywood can continue to churn out such condescending and boring films like this which cost a fortune to make (wow - must be good if cost $100million!). I can only think that Hollywood marketing overrules common sense of young adults whom Hollywood execs think are easy to hoodwink to pay and watch tripe like this. It's up to you, but if you go and watch this and waste your money watching the same, then don't blame me for not warning you. Total garbage and about 2 out of 10 from a film lover with 35 years viewing experience.
96 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spends most of its time setting up the conclusion...
onyb_1324 September 2015
First of all, I didn't want to go and see this movie especially because I saw the first part and while I was watching it I was really interested in knowing why they were tested in the maze or who Thomas and Teresa were, what they did before they were cast out into the maze, etc... but unfortunately I got none of this answers, but what I did get were a lot more mysteries but no answers, but it's not like LOST where it leaves the audience thinking and putting things together and finding out the mysteries, but it's more of a dull and predictable mysteries every time they have some of the main characters talk to each other.

This movie starts where the other one picked off, both in action and in mysteries, you will get 0 answers as to how the virus infected the world, or how the world was destroyed as it is, or what is the cure, and mainly you will see that there is no real motivation to be on wither side WICKD or the Gladers, because in fact what separates their motivations is just the way they use the antidote and nothing more, here there's more illogicalness than clever writing or a logical explanation of why Thomas and the others are against WICKD, but yeah the movies spends more of its time giving you more mysteries and making you more interested in seeing the final conclusion than actually put some sense into this chapter...

Next, the dialogues are extremely cliché-d like: "you're not working as fast as I need you", or "the boss arriving sooner than expected", "come on let's go!", etc, etc... you get the picture. Although I might be ignored, cause every useful reviews on this are from people who think this movie is awesome, I need to say my opinion and save the money of some people who want to go see this movie hoping it's a good one. More, it seems like every time there is a dialog that can reveal key plot points or mysteries, or memories, is cut short and the subject quickly changes to something else, and it gets really frustrating, I was laughing as hard as I could with my friend in the cinema, while watching things like that or glass that breaks, then suddenly not breaks, then finally breaks, it's like the glass listens to the movie script, just like other things like storm or zombies.

This movie got so bad, that at one point where it turned ridiculously cliché-d and mysterious beyond any measure, I thought of leaving the cinema, but I stayed out of respect for my friends who invited me to see it, cause I would NEVER see a movie so cliché-d and stupidly mysterious(I couldn't find any other words) in my life again. This is just an insult to an intelligent mind because this movie just wants to be too clever but ends up setting more mysteries and events for the next movie than it resolves the mysteries or conflicts it already has.

Even though there isn't a "Maze Runner" title to show at the beginning of the movie, this movies feels ridiculously stupid about running in every scene of the movie. All the conflicts or natural disasters end up with the Young Adults running from those things. And yeah, you heard me correctly, even the natural disasters are chasing the kids. At this point I was having 0 expectations from the movie, and it didn't surprised me after that, being only more cliché-d and predictable, not even zombie's scares didn't frighten me, and honestly I remained with pretty much nothing after this movie, unlike after I watch movies from Stephen Spielberg, Nolan, Scorsese, Ron Howard, etc, etc...

So to wrap up this review, don't go and see this movie, unless you are bored to death and want to have some fun and laugh at how bad this movie really is. By the way, the movie's rating is way too high, this shows just how easily people are fooled and how easily their money are wasted on things like this. This movie's real rating should be around 5-6, but until it gets there(which probably won't happen) I stick with 1.
196 out of 342 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laziest zombie movie i have ever watched.
leongmanwyn1 October 2015
***this review may contain spoilers*** It is undeniable that this movie has its fair share of thrills, stunning CGI scenes and unique yet realistically gory zombies.

However, there is nothing more to that. It jumps from scene to scene without enough plot to give the audience a sufficient sense of appreciation as to why the characters are doing what they do. I could hardly believe it when the movie ended, 2 hours wasted on what could have been time playing "left 4 dead 2" and still leaving me with the same feeling - the 'that was thrilling but a complete waste of time' feeling.

I'm going to keep this a short and simple, almost lazy review. Because that is exactly how I feel about this movie.
147 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Full of Action Sequel
claudio_carvalho1 November 2015
After escaping from the Maze, Thomas (Dylan O'Brien), Newt (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), Minho (Ki Hong Lee), Teresa Agnes (Kaya Scodelario), Frypan (Dexter Darden) and Winston (Alexander Flores) are welcomed by Mr. Janson (Aidan Gillen) in a protected facility. They meet other survivors from other mazes and they learn that everyday, a group of teenagers is summoned to be lodged in farms and communities in safe areas. However Thomas decides to investigate what happens with the teenagers and he meets Aris Jones (Jacob Lofland). Soon they find that the place is a WCKD facility and Ava Paige (Patricia Clarkson) is alive and the leader of experiments with the teenagers that are intubated neither alive nor dead. Further, his group will be the next to be guinea pigs. Thomas and Aris succeed in escaping with the other Gladers from the facility and they decide to search the resistance group The Right Arm that is hidden at the mountains. Along their journey, they find the post-apocalyptic world completely destroyed; they meet the Cranks, zombies infected by the Flare virus; they have the loss of a friend; they face storm in the desert and a dangerous group of survivors; and they are betrayed by a friend. Now Thomas and his friends want revenge against the WCKD and Thomas promises to kill Ava Paige.

"Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials" is a full of action sequel of "Maze Runner'. The story has a predictable plot point disclosing that one character is a traitor. There is no explanation why the teenagers needed to stay in the Glade and why the WCKD wanted them submitted to the situations against the Grievers of the previous movie. Maybe the explanation will be given on the next film. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Maze Runner: Prova de Fogo" ("Maze Runner: Really Tough Test").
39 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gag movie of the year
mark-631-84145724 September 2015
Oh how I wish I'd seen a trailer that showed the absurd zombie incarnations. Gag me with a spoon.

Now I'm supposed to issue a SPOILER ALERT... although to give away this plot is laughable it is so formulaic and predictable. The entire premise of the movie is absurd. Fast paced to nowhere with lots of movement, little action, noisy and pointless.

Gee, the obtuse teenager tries to save his buddies from having their blood sucked out of them by the mean scientists and from being bitten by the zombie creatures. And the soldier group -- the right wing so to speak -- are so rag tag as to be an impossible group to put up any kind of struggle against the crack troops of WCKD... wicked. (wasn't that clever!)

When searching for the rag tag group, they get stuck in a canyon behind cars left to barricade their hiding place. Then they get attacked -- are you ready -- with the ubiquitous helicopters that everyone in the known universe knows WCKD has... except the right appendage (I don't want to give away their clever name).

Just wish this group had gotten lost in the maze.
77 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Less A-Maze-ing than the First Installment
prospectus_capricornium9 September 2015
     Last year's 'The Maze Runner' was en route to a non-conformist course off the young adult/post-apocalyptic sub-genre, delivering less familiar but appealing deviations from the more recognizable standards of the category. This year, 'The Scorch Trials', its sequel, keeps some of the original beats of its predecessor, but it eventually falls into the scope of the overly familiar trope that the first film has defiantly avoided, which is a bit disappointing, considering the riveting buildup they've pulled off with the first film.

Much of this film is spent in running. That doesn't necessarily makes the film bereft of sense and extremely difficult to follow, but that fact itself, hinders the proceedings from delivering a comprehensible narrative. 'The Gladers', still led by Thomas (Dylan O'Brien), are now on the run from the forces of WCKD, the mysterious organization that placed them in the Glade. What even worse, are Cranks, James Dashner's version of zombies, joining the pursuit. After seemingly endless cat and mouse chases, you'd be thankful to see them stumble upon a resistance movement, giving them a few moments to rest (that gives you a moment to rest from following them). But that's just a bump, because as soon as alliances are formed and a hint of the government's agenda, is revealed, it's marathon-time again.

See, that's what sends this sequel spiraling down from the heights the first film has soared past in 2014. It lacks genuine emotions, and there are barely plot developments well- knitted enough to spark interest. The marathon extravaganza hampers the characters to fully connect with each other, and engage in a conversation, lengthy enough to help us understand. That's maybe the problem for someone who hasn't read the book like me, ever loaded with 'how's and 'why's, which this sequel seems uninterested in answering, until the final chapter.

That being said, there are still some few things to commend, like the fact it has retained, if not improved, its scares and thrills. The Grievers are now replaced by hungrier and grotesquely more vicious Cranks, and the obstacles are updated, to provide more hair raising creeps. The first movie's $340million worldwide cume against its $34million budget has given this sequel a bigger financial resource for production, and you would thank that for 'The Scorch Trials' stunningly choreographed setpieces, looming up in and between adrenaline- propelled pursuits.

Some new characters, like Aiden Gillen's Rat-Man, are introduced, but the rest or more than half of movie's payroll's new names, are barely, if not efficiently, utilized. That's an inevitable additional layer to the heap of flaws that piled up for this outing, but it's extremely hard to completely shrug off the film, especially with an interesting, and riproaring climax, that pretty sets the stage for the trilogy's final phase. While that last chapter is yet to happen, let's pray for the last film to never get split into two. 6/10
63 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Review
bhatnagardhruv3 October 2015
This so called sequel to the Maze Runner is completely a waste of time for anyone who is expecting any similarities to the original Maze Runner. It is full of nonsensical fighting, clueless people, zero plot, a shame to actually be associated with "The Maze Runner".

If possible, take this movie back to the recording studio and delete each and every sequence of it and Think and make a sensible adventurous movie. Crappies movie of all times! It's not only misleading from the word "Runner" but also there is no Maze! Isn't it fantastic? The Scorch Trials! What does that even mean and how does the name actually is relevant to this pathetic low standard movie!
177 out of 340 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As an action packed movie, great. As a movie adaption, horrible.
sakurayumi13 September 2015
If you've read the series and love it, please do yourself a favor and don't watch this movie. This movie has taken the book that you love and change it into a mainstream zombie survival movie.

When I first watch The Maze Runner, I really like it because even though they did change some stuff, they're at least stick to the storyline and have most of the plot.

So when I heard that The Scorch Trial movie just comes out, I expect it to be as great, or even better than than the first movie. Which turns out to be a great disappointment and makes me leave the cinema feeling angry and disappointed.

They really change the storyline and twisted the plot. For a starter, The Scorch Trial supposed to be another trial from WICKED. And they change it into an escape with WICKED hunts them and try to get them to get back to WICKED which is supposed to be the part of The Death Cure.

Seriously, what's happen to the silvery liquid who eats people head and turn it into a ball, an epic journey across the scorch and the betrayal scenario?

We understand that it's kind of hard to make a movie that is exactly like the book, but if you're going to make a movie adaptation from a book, at least follow the book plot. You can't make your own storyline and expect the book fandom to be happy with it.
36 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More entertaining than the first installment
do-arellano-mayra10 September 2015
Let's get this straight out of the way. If you are tired of movies based on books that present a young cast, you won't find something here to convert you. However if you found the first movie to be a surprisingly entertaining, solid action flick;or if you don't mind the age of the main characters as long as the story deliveries, there's plenty to like here. Specially because there are some improvements over the flaws of the first film.

The action sequences are gripping, well directed and have a feel of raw realism. It's evident that the ensemble of actors- young or mature- gave it all physically. It seems as though the stunts doubles had little to do in comparison to the average action flick.

If in the first movie you got 2 or 3 action scenes to keep you in the edge of your seat,in The scorch trials you'll find action almost from the beginning.I'm not a fan of non-stop action, but I was particularly impressed with Barry Pepper who I heard filmed his action scenes with a broken ankle.

The acting is extremely good. Not only the young lead Dylan O'Brien and his young co-stars, Ki Hong Lee, Kaya Scodelario, Rosa Salazar and Thomas Brodie Sangter, deliver strong performances, but also the supporting cast of mature actors. By the way if you have read or heard that the very talented supporting cast of mature actors is there only for their paychecks or that "they have better things to do" you are hearing a biased opinion by unprofessional reviewers who are tired of "YA adaptations". But just because some reviewers are tired of this "subgenre" doesn't mean that plenty of talented cast and crews aren't fully involved with these kind of stories in spite of the studios greedy intentions.

This movie might not be perfect, might not be for everyone but one thing that you can tell for sure is that Barry Pepper, Alan Tudik, Aidan Gillen, Lily Taylor, Patricia Clarkson and particularly Giancarlo Esposito gave it all. They have amazing chemistry with the very talented young cast and they seem to be screaming "100% commitment to my role". It became clear to me through their committed performances that they believed in the project and that they trust the director Wes Ball. There's plenty of character development opportunities and these mature actors take advantage of them all even if their screen time is limited. Ava Paige as played by Patricia Clarkson started the movie as the archetypal "evil scientist" and by the end of the movie I was somehow rooting for her. She really needs to find a cure to this mysterious disease called "the flare". Giancarlo Esposito started limited by a role that seemed at first written to fulfill a quota of the typical "evil adult vs. innocent kid" trope. However, as the movie moves on we discover that he is far from being a cartnoonish "evil adult" and that his character is full of humanity. A scene in which he is concerned over his protegé was one of my favorites of a film from which I was only expecting mindless entertainment and non-stopping action.

The problem is that this brilliant cast was limited by a script that seemed to go nowhere. I'd say the script is not as strong as the one of the first movie and that script wasn't particularly good to begin with. There are some improvements. This time some clichéd lines have gone away, there's more backbone to the characters and a little more of "showing-not-telling". But if you are thinking that everything that didn't make sense in the first one will make sense in this movie you might end up disappointed.

One more time the movie ends in a cliffhanger although this time there's not a last minute info-dump. If you don't mind these minor flaws on the script you might end up enjoying the ride.

In my opinion, the strongest part of the movie, besides the thrilling action and good acting are the visuals. I enjoyed the shots of the scorch because the cinematographer took plenty of risks. I want to see the movie again just to appreciate these shots better. There were also interesting shots in terms of composition.

The VFX is extremely well executed. I thought the director was going to get overboard with the CGI usage but he wisely balanced the visual effects with the emotional arc to take the audience to a journey through this devastated lands in which under each nook, each skeleton building lies a new danger, a new story, a new world which I'd love to explore.

As if this wasn't enough to make me want to see the movie again, Joe Paesano's score (Daredevil TV series, The maze runner) was masterfully used and added a special feeling to the already beautiful visuals. Mark my words, Paesano's scores will get him an Oscar somewhere in the near future.

The scorch trials has everything to become a huge international box office success because is a solid, yet imperfect second chapter, that will keep audiences entertained and screaming for chapter 3.
112 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics don't know SH!T
TonightTurnYourWeaponsToSnow10 September 2015
Well well, The Scorch Trials. What a great movie!

From beginning to end, I was on the edge of my seat. Unlike the first, there's a lot more violence and death in this movie, and the Cranks are OH SO HORRIFYING!

And as you may have expected, along with the Cranks comes lots of JUMP SCARES!

This movie is super intense and action-packed that you won't want to look away for a moment. Also, there's a single scene about 35 minutes into the movie that shocked me. It wasn't meant to be a plot twist, but the way they pulled it off was incredible. Giving that away would be sad, so I want you to see it for yourself.

Let's just say that it involves an quiet, emotional scene with a gun and a slowly growing infection through someone's body. Moving on...

The thing I dislike is the lack of character development in the new characters introduced. Here's some random kid shown near the beginning, then when he only appears in the background and basically says nothing, I'm like 'Wait, who is he again?' when he finally begins to speak.

The first movie was all about the action, but this one is all about the action and the PLOT. Oh yes, there is a plot twist near the end I didn't see coming, and it kind of involves a familiar character.

So much happens in this movie that leaves your mind blown, and it leaves you off with a sort of cliffhanger. It will leave you saying 'The game is truly on...' except the game will be on in 2017. Shame.

Overall, I say IGNORE THE CRITICS! They see this as Young Adult, which technically it is, but it's more of a Young Adult horror movie! It's certainly interesting.

8/10. Go see it!
58 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed and irritated
snowwhitemirage6 October 2015
I recommend any and all who have respect for a writers work and/or have ever read the maze runner series, don't watch the second movie. It was a good movie but it should not have been released under the title scorch trials as it had no relevance what's so ever to the second book or the trials themselves, which is literally the title. I am very disappointed/Very much irritated. The only resemblance to the book was the character names. This also felt like a very sore excuse for a zombie movie instead of having the proper and well thought out story line that manipulated the characters like originally intended. Overall, I say again the movie would be fine on its own with no relation whatsoever with the series but because it is in fact based off of a book series I am very disappointed to see they threw the whole series aside and made up their own story. Very disappointed, I cannot say that enough times.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you loved the first one, you'll love this one!
jasperjfcs30 September 2015
Oh it is sad seeing all these reviews where people complain about this movie because it's different from the book. Well let me tell you, films based on books or comics and stuff like that change things around to make the movie stand on its own and be appealing to multiple people. There's no point in a movie that is exactly the same to its source material because that's only useful for people too lazy to read. If everyone knew this and understood it, perhaps people who don't like that idea could just stay away from the movies and keep to the books, this movie and countless others could be saved all that ruthless hate.

Anyway, back to the movie, I loved the first Maze Runner film. 9/10 and it became one of my favourite movie universes out of all the others like Hunger Games and Divergent. Now I have seen the next Maze Runner film and I loved it so much. I found it better than the first one! This is how I think sequels should be made. Where things stay true to the previous film so the sequel feels like a continuation of the story and not someone elses interpretation of what happens next. The action, the music, the emotion, the characters and the story I found was so fitting, exciting, entertaining and perfect for the Maze Runner movies. I haven't read the books, I personally don't care for them, but the movies are perfect enough for me, standing on their own. I had a great time with this movie and CAN'T WAIT for Death Cure. Unfortunately this movie and the previous one receives a lot of hate and I'm so disappointed so all I can say is if you liked the first one, go and see Scorch Trails.
32 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Dashner, Wes Ball and T.S. Nowlin owe the readers an apology!!!
eeveecorgi6 October 2015
*Warning, contains spoilers. Only read this review if you have read the books and seen both movies..*

I went into 'The Scorch Trials' expecting the worst since 'Maze Runner' did such a horrible job with the story already. I didn't expect it to be this awful. Why even bother making a book into the movie if you are not even going to follow any of the story line? This movie had nothing to do with the books, first off I have a question for Nowlin (the screenplay writer) why call it the 'Scorch Trials' if there was no TRIAL?? The book had a trial that the kids had to pass; this movie had a bunch of kids escaping WCKD and running around in a desert. There was nothing that was remotely a trial about it. This movie had me so angry my eyes got watery and I had a migraine.

Look, as someone who reads a lot of novels I understand that movies can't perfectly portray the books, but to have the audacity to take these fun, enthralling novels and turn them into a down-graded action pile of garbage, that's insulting to the readers. Any person I know who read the books and saw the movie was absolutely insulted and astonished.

Let's focus on the movie flaws here for a moment in case you're wondering why I am so angry... ( if you care) 1.) Why do we already know about the Right Arm in this movie?? That's not until the third book. 2.) Why wasn't this a trial? What was so wrong with the MAIN plot of the book that you turned into a movie? 3.) Why did the cranks have roots? The cranks were supposed to have levels of being gone which made them interesting and not just a bunch of cgi, moronic monsters. 4.)Why was Thomas and Theresa incapable of having telepathy? 5.)How is it that all of them are immunes but Winston was killed immediately after a bite? 6.)Why was the scorch a desert? The scorch is supposed to be an unbearable terrain where you cant survive for long, it's supposed to show how badly the Flare effected the earth. 7.)Why did Nowlin feel that Thomas having 'killed by group B' written on his neck wasn't a fantastic edge-of-your-seat piece of the novel? I guess since he skimmed the book and decided to write his own story he threw all of the exciting and mysterious concepts of the novel out the window and make it a movie of running around not doing anything with any real substance.

I really need those questions answered because my mind is actually blown, I cannot believe that the Director and Screenplay writer had the guts to call this movie 'The Maze Runner Series'

I have two positives about the movie though. 1.) The actors were absolutely fantastic who ever cast this movie was probably the only one who read the books. That's what is super sad about this movie is the casting was great, but the story was absolute garbage. It looked like the actors read the books, and the director read the cliff notes. 2.) The visuals were gorgeous, it's too bad that I was focused on the failures of the writing.

The craziest part about this series is if they had followed the books at least with the main plot lines and twists, this movie would have been bigger than 'The Hunger Games', but they decided to drop this awful movie onto the readers and make them suffer.

James Dashner, as far as I have read in your interviews you were okay with this?? You owe your readers the BIGGEST apology ever! You sold yourself out for the cash, and I was going to read your other series but my friends and I will not touch anything you've written until we receive an apology for getting us hooked on your novels, and then approving this awful movie that had nothing to do with your books besides the character names and the title. Your books had so much more complexity to the story and the writer/director of the movie decided not to use any of your actual plot line. Doesn't that make you angry even a little bit?

Wes Ball, T.s. Nowlin and James Dashner. Shame on all three of you. If you've read the books please avoid this movie like the plague. If you haven't read the books ( you shouldn't be reading my review lol) but if you accidentally did please read the books, and skip this awful movie. I could have covered at least 10 more disappointing points about this film, but no one wants to read a 20 paragraph review, this review was long enough. James Dashner, I await your apology for doing this to your readers.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The running dead!
ambientalchaos10 September 2015
Probably the best film I've seen in 2015 so far, along with Mad Max.

Since I'm a book nerd, I did expect much from this film, and I got even more. I am actually not sure which one is better.

There's a lot of changes for sure, but I consider it to be a positive thing since you get two awesome things, not only one.

Great effects, great cast. A good sense of humor and some high class action. It's like 10 genres combined in one film. Not suitable for children though, in my opinion. The guy, 25+ years old, that was sitting next to me was scared as hell. Cranks do look somewhat scarier then the walkers in TWD, and are faster and more aggressive.

Comparing to the first film, you can imagine The Maze Runner being a toddler, and The scorch trials being an adult. It is definitely more serious and hardcore.

One more film TST has reminded me of was Snowpiercer, so if you're a fan you'll definitely like it.
41 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb sets, great action if not a bit too long.
kuuk313 September 2015
This film has everything from sandstorms and lightning to Zombies and evil henchman. Its as though the writer / director said lets throw everything into the story that we can and see what sticks, and then when it came time to edit some of it out, everything cost so much to make that they didn't want to remove it.

This means the film has a running time in excess of two hours and its a lot to digest. There is so much action that we as a viewer get exhausted watching it. The gang of kids we never really get to meet. Only Tom has a purpose, the others I couldn't even tell you their names. I guess they could have been left out the script as none of them were useful. One of them started complaining at the start, suggesting a possible conflict but them he just shut up for the rest of the film.

Then there are all the new cast members who become redundant mere minutes after being introduced. Eventually you start to wonder if some of these people could have been left out the movie to make a much tighter edit.

The sets are however outstanding. The scorched Earth is something I want to see again. You do start wondering though - if all these giant mazes are apparently around the place, with green pastures inside. Why would anyone live in the desert when they can live quite happily inside the maze?

The action is great, most scenes make sense (although there is one jump cut from we have to take cover from the storm to the next morning). There are times when you have to ignore logic like needing food and water, leaving guns behind and stuff like that. But this was an enjoyable film which is very fast paced, if perhaps a little too much of a good thing but still a great film that you need to see on the big screen.
32 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not having read the book versions, cinema-wise 'Scorch' a different but great follow up.
odaat-3073730 October 2015
When we last left off in (2014) 'The Maze Runner', Thomas (Dylan O'Brien) and the remaining clan of youths whom managed to escape the ever evolving maze, were seemingly rescued from an abandoned science laboratory by a band of armed rebels. If you've wondered where exactly the rescued are being flown to by the helicopter at the conclusion of that film, the answer lies in the recently released second installment of the trilogy, 'The Scorch Trials'.

Upon landing in an apocalypses world of wasteland and chaotic battle of people, the clan is rushed into an enormous security facility, in which a high tech vault door shuts behind them shielding them from all the dangers of the outside world. Upon meeting, Mr. Janson (Aidan Gillen) whom is the head of the facility, he explains that they are here among many other survivors from similar mazes. The clan's secure feelings of being in a safe haven become short lived when circumstances reveal to Thomas that Mr. Janson is not who he makes himself out to be. Discovering that the clan and all the other youths are being targeted and set up as guinea pigs again for another test due to their immunity to the world-wide virus outside, the clan escapes; only to enter a world almost beyond recognition. Running away in a big city lost in sand and rubble, they also fight for survival from bizarre weather occurrences caused by the solar flare epidemic explained to them in the end of 'The Maze Runner'. They embark on a journey where they must seek to build alliances with apocalypse survivors; however having the shaky task of trying to discern who really is good and who is bad.

What I particularly loved most of all in the world that director Wes Ball has created was the exterior settings. Unless I missed it, there has never been mention of how long ago the world's fallout was supposed to have occurred. However; in contrast to many apocalypse themed movies where you find empty damaged cities with freeways with old cars frozen in space on the roads long abandoned, the wastelands here reminds me of the ancient ruins you'd find of Rome. Freeway overpasses are only half in place, skyscrapers look like building skeletons, and tall bridges are sunken into tower high piles of sand. While I've always got the vibe that since film number 1 that the fallout occurred as long as a century ago, the visuals seems to suggest of what America might look like thousands of years from now if it were to fall.

Like many science fiction movies that are made for entertainment but also has undertone spiritual or political themes that not everyone may catch onto, for me, 'The Scorch Trials' seemed to have some themes that are relevant in today's society. I will restrain myself from pacifically declaring what theme that would be since I believe it would clue off too much of a spoiler about plot, but for the time being, think about that old rationalizations philosophy by some people who believe the bad things must be done for the greater good. While there are many eerie far-fetched things that you will experience in seeing what happens to humans inflicted with the solar flare virus, Ava Paige (Patricia Clarkson) whom works amongst scientists, brings to surface something that could be seen as a plausible scenario in the far future of America. I believe that what this character wants to do in this story, echoes an issues that you will find in today's media in a much smaller scale.

Along with the already great established cast, two interesting new actors show up in portraying both the antagonist and uncertain antagonist. Probably best known for the slick, charming manipulative character, Littlefinger in HBO's current hit, 'Games of Thrones', Aidan Gillen nicely plays one of the head men from the lab who puts on two faces. Then there is Giancarlo Esposito whose been playing projected bad guys in TV over the last several years: such as the rebel and militant Tom Neville in (2012-2014) 'Revolution', the iconic double personality Gus Fring in seasons 2- 4 in AMC's, (2008-2013) 'Breaking Bad', and even time to time appears in ABC as Sidney Glass/Magic Mirror in (2011- ) 'Once Upon a Time'. Here Esposito plays a personality who wrestles between antagonist and protagonist as an ally of the youth clan.

If you are like me whose been waiting to see this film until the last minute, now would be the time to see it; as it is now appearing to me that the lifespan torch of 'The Scorch Trials) is about to get snubbed out in the town I live in. Personally, I enjoyed the first 'Maze Runner' a little bit more than this new installment probably because the maze was such a mystical place of mystery. However; I did at the same time find it just as enjoyable.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They turned a Good movie into a Walking Dead + Hunger Games knockoff.
dylanr201522 September 2015
The first Maze Runner movie I really enjoyed watching and would watch again. This movie did a complete 180 though and just destroyed the series. Instead of taking the good and improving on the first one, this movies is basically just hunger games, trying to get away from the bad guys just to get caught type of stuff, and hunger games, these infected human/zombie like creatures chasing people around. Normally I'd still give a movie a chance but I just couldn't. One main reason is the CGI for this movie, it was just laughable. CGI was used for all of the infected characters chasing the main group around and it just looked like CG from movies and video games from 5 years ago, just terrible. They go so far from the book plot line it's ridiculous too. If you want to see it wait until it comes out to online rental or redbox or video store. It's not worth paying to see in theaters. Also warning to adults taking kids, this movie is closer to an R rating than a PG-13, it's a really far stretch that they made it only PG-13.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.