Ayla (2017) Poster

(2017)

Confused and confusing
soraprint29 May 2018
The film should be commended for an interesting premise, and some good filming on a low budget. However, there are many negatives to this movie, which when added up lead to an unenjoyable film.

Firstly, the gratuitous sex scenes are both unnecessary for the plot and character development, and feel like a slightly perverted indulgence on the filmmakers behalf.

Secondly, the sound. I was so disappointed that the sound recordings in many scenes and shots were below par. Bad sound can take you out of the moment, and remind you this is a low budget Kickstarter movie.

The plot builds acceptably, but loses coherence in the 3rd act and ends without any conclusion that would be satisfying. Sometimes an "open to interpretation" ending is brilliant... sometimes it is a poor attempt to hide a mess of a conclusion; the equivalent of "and then I woke up". Ayla falls into the latter category.

This could have been a much better film if the horror/supernatural element built to something that actually induced terror. It doesn't, so it isn't.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull and uninspiring
theloststudio5 April 2018
I watch an hour of this film which I will never get back. The cover makes it look like an Insidious type title. I expected some horror but it was dull and uninspiring. In the hour I watched next to nothing happened except some weird sex scene. I wanted so much more but it didn't deliver.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderfully acted, deeply melancholic "what if?"
deathbyradiatin1 October 2017
Ayla is a profound and mournful little film dwelling on loss, grief and mental illness. A man can have a supportive family, a girlfriend who loves him, and still be plagued by his own personal demons. Elton is obsessed with the life he never had with his sister who died tragically when she was four. This plays into his own mental health issues that cause him to self-harm. In a moment of bizarre fantasy he is able to will his sister into being. But how does this grown woman who has miraculously appeared in his life even know how to be his sister? Many of us think about those in our lives we miss or wish we could have known better but when death separates us, what is it that we're actually bringing back?

This is a low budget movie funded through Kickstarter so don't expect grandiose special effects or lavish sets and settings. Instead you get a deeply committed cast willing to do what it takes to make these feel like real, sympathetic characters that you can relate to. Ayla is a film that is as much a family drama and a meditation on grief as much as it is a horror film. Much is left to the audience to interpret and figure out how they feel about what happens, it's taken me most of a week to be able to really process what the film is about in my own head. If you get a chance to see this on the festival circuit please do, you're not going to find much else at there quite like Ayla.
20 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't know what I saw.
yahyanaveed6 April 2018
Dead sister returning as larva sort of psycho human and having sexual relations with him till he destroys himself and she go back, bit too much for me to process.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
yawn
weezie-559016 April 2018
Don't bother... just a whole waste of time if you actually wanted something interesting and scary... this fails on every aspect of a decent film. Poor characters, bad acting, and worse story...left wondering 'what the heck!?'... why did I bother... turned off half way through.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huh?
chicagoslim22 April 2018
Brother and dead sister sexual tension with a "wait, was that the ending?"
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
adamfeder-391847 April 2018
It was okay but I wouldn't consider this a horror movie, really. I found myself fast forwarding quite a bit. Basically a guy is in so much grief over the death of his sister that she comes back to life in a very odd way and they end up having quite the relationship and she never talks. And this guy's has issues that cause him to have a distant relationship with his Brother and Mom.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
strange
jacobwadsworth12 April 2018
It's not scary, not well acted, and it's very, very boring! Please don't waste time watching this!
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skin-tingling short film
boonhianng21 April 2018
First review on imdb.

Ayla is a mind-boggling show that is heavily dependent on the actors' expressions. It would seem insane that a man is haunted by the death of a lost sister but it could happen. Even though the mother has been over the grief of the loss, his son does not seem to be over it and is constantly plagued by the memory, to the extent of self-mutilation.

My takeaway is that loss of a family can lead us down to extreme needs of longing. Certain people predisposed to mental illness can become so absorbed in the acute sorrow that they cannot escape. And even upon bringing the dead back, many of the people living around us would not be able to cope either. Thus, it is most important to let go. Let go of the past and know that everything has its place and is meant to be. Be kind to others and yourself. Do good with the limited time we have on earth.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your classic horror
angelaamerson411610 May 2018
Way too much gping on, but nothing entertaining. This is more a drama about a guy who needs help, but as usual he's coddled and then crap happens! Turned it off after like 15 minutes.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ouch! It's worth a much higher rating.
mjsreg11 August 2018
OK - so this film isn't going to appeal to the gore fans, but it is a decent film to watch.

It is very well acted, the technical aspects are spot-in, and the story - well - it's almost there but not quite.

This film moves along at a leisurely pace, so if you have the attention span of a goldfish it won't appeal to you, and probably won't if you are looking for light entertainment.

This film will appeal to you if you like a story where you can get to know/understand more of the characters than just the superficial scream-fest characters we see in so many other films.

One thing does let this film down very badly, and that it the ending. I just don't know what they were thinking ending a film like this.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big steaming pile of poo
jmaus-4040917 September 2018
Had more entertaining dumps wasted time I'll never get back watching this crap
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.