Supergirl (TV Series 2015–2021) Poster

(2015–2021)

A Cliche attempt to try to be 'Female Power'
npfares6 April 2020
The first two seasons were good...actually they were better than good.....But once season three started and started to push politics over a good storyline is when it went down hill quickly...
151 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Becoming more like a soap
ken-127314 October 2017
Season 1 was quite good and held well to the superhero genre. Season 2 started well but drifted deeply into interpersonal drama. Season 3 started the way season 2 ended, with less emphasis on the superhero and deeply into character emotions/relationships and social issues. These are important discussions, to be sure, but I watch superhero shows to see action and fun, not for deep emotion or for a critical societal exposé.

Frankly I don't care who's straight, gay, engaged, in love, depressed, happy or psychotic unless it directly relates to the villain:heroine story line. Supergirl has, seemingly, fallen to influences (pressures?) far from the original comic book universe. It has become a soap opera.
443 out of 593 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SHOW, don't tell!
SteelTrapMind19 February 2018
In elementary school, part of our creative writing class was to SHOW, not tell. It seems that Supergirl's writers can't meet the standards of an elementary school writing class.

As a woman, I'm not just profoundly disappointed in this show, I'm deeply embarrassed. This IS why men don't take women seriously. Finally, there's a super hero TV show with a female lead...and it's just so bad.

It's like in Whisky Tango Foxtrot when the first woman to drive a car crashes it. It sucks for women everywhere.

Wonder Woman was good because she DEMONSTRATED that she could handle herself. She being a woman was only mentioned, because of the era the movie took place in.

If this show had a male lead, people still wouldn't like it. It really is just poorly done. Oliver Queen fights with strong women all the time and their gender isn't brought up once. Even Felicity is more badass and she sits behind a screen most of the time. I enjoy Arrow much more because of this. Supergirl feels very whiny and preachy.

Men are people too. Feminism shouldn't be about taking men down a notch or being better than men. It should just be about raising women up to the same level as men. Not all men are physically stronger than women and not all women are physically stronger than men. Ronda Rousey is stronger than Michael Cera, but John Cena is stronger than Ronda Rousey. You can't paint an entire gender with a single brush. Some men will be smarter and stronger than some women. Some women will be smarter and stronger than some men. There is a difference between fairness and equality.

I wish the show focused more on SHOWING Supergirl's competency than it did on finger wagging at men and telling everyone how great she is. I couldn't believe in the first season there's this huge build up to a city wide crisis, they're completely out of options, they've tried everything, they've thought of everything, and then all of the sudden all their problems are solved because of HOPE and believing in people. Supergirl's hope was so strong it overpowered the enemy that Superman couldn't beat. I nearly sprained my eye sockets from rolling my eyes so hard. I repeat: THIS is why women aren't taken seriously.

Why can't she just fight crime and save the day like the rest of them? Why turn it into a political Trojan horse? If I wanted politics, I'd watch C-SPAN. I half expect Supergirl to whip out a talking stick most of the time.
461 out of 628 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show gone bad
bru-7493610 October 2019
This was once a good show but it lost it's way entirely. The show has begun spiraling down fast, especially with this new season and the total disregard for original source material, the constant pandering to every group and minority out there and "political correctness". Diversity and such is all good but the show's producers have made it more important than the quality of the show itself, storylines, etc... At this point the show should be canceled ASAP.
112 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From bad to worse
brileearch28 February 2017
Why do I watch the show? I thought it was about superheroes and super villains. But no, I'm not sure what it is about anymore. This show continues to go downhill. The plot lines are simple and easy to determine within a couple minutes of the start of the show. I find myself shaking my head at the ridiculousness of the story line. The show has become all about relationship interactions that are on again and off again within a matter of minutes. The show used to be funny but now has turned into a lame drama. I don't usually write reviews but I have been very disappointed about where the show has gone. I don't think I'll be watching anymore.
405 out of 582 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 5b - what happened ?!
Justreviewing24 May 2020
The second half of the season took a noise dive after Crisis. Full of filler episodes that have not anything to drive the plot forward. We are two episodes away from the finale and the villain is non existent. Lex is there (still) but his manipulations are going nowhere and it looks like the whole plot will be revealed and resolved in the final (with not build up). I don't care for any of the characters this season. Where is the character development for Kelly, Nia, and most importantly Alex? J'onn is phoning it in, William is there contributing nothing and could easily be removed from the season and whatever plot there is would continue as if nothing is missing. Lena who is supposed to have a huge impact is stuck in a lab or following her brother around. Where is the strong character we've seen in seasons past. Kara is especially weak, anyone can beat her in a fight. She's the strongest person on earth and also a genius but she's always losing and never uses her powers. Super hearing, super speed, super strength nah she has none of it. Romance ? Don't worry somebody will be there to tell Kara she likes someone, even if she visibly cringes near that person. At this point the show only continues because it's on the CW and standards are especially low.
44 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good
ozlemozdemirw11 April 2020
Only first season is worth to watch. I don't recommended.
40 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plot holes
karin_doddema27 January 2020
A show with bad writing and a lot of plot holes. Especially after the crisis where people have lost thier memories but have they're memories when its convenient for the storyline.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm done...
mama-stuhr26 June 2018
Well that's it, I'm done. This show has become nothing more than a poorly acted, horribly written spring board for Greg Berlanti's political views. Beyond ridiculous.

******Spoiler Alert***** But the idiotic episode where the DEO was going to stop using guns took the cake. For real, this show is just circling the drain at this point. I sincerely hope it is cancelled so that Berlanti learns his lesson before The Flash and Arrow suffer the same fate. We want to watch cool, fun shows about super heroes, not have someone's personal political views shoved down our throats.
247 out of 384 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And another destroyed series
mhartfor8 January 2019
The first season was awesome. The second started drifting downwards and the third season continued it. Almost immediately the fourth season started pushing the Social Justice agenda with zero reason, zero actual need or addition to the story and the overall story arc went into the crapper as weak ineffectual writing.

It is a shame I so looked forward to this series and then enjoyed it even as the story arc got weaker and weaker. But 3 episodes into season 4 and it was dropped from our PVR in favor of stronger writing and stories in other shows.
138 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd like to give it a chance...
ahmetkozan11 April 2016
Keep in mind that some shows take a while to find themselves. Arrow had the same problem during its first season. Just give the show some time before making any drastic judgements.

If there's one things that the pilot has shown us, it's that the CW should handle all DC related TV. They clearly know what they're doing, what with Arrow, Flash and iZombie. CBS already failed with the 1990 version of the Flash, and if they don't do something they're going to kill Supergirl before the show gets a chance to get off the ground.

The pilot is cheesy, and ya there are plenty of screw ups, but the overall feel for the show is good. Again, just give the show some time. It may get better, it may get worse. The only way to find out is to watch and hope for the best. The best thing in the series for me is Melissa Benoist.

I know this is a rare female lead in a superhero show; but does female empowerment need to be referenced continually? Why can we not have a Ripley or a Sarah Connor where gender is secondary to a character fulfilling a role? You can give it a chance, but it's not a good series. 5/10
170 out of 264 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad writers
wsl730 November 2016
Okay, I've read the reviews too.. My main complaint is that the writers seem to never have read any of the comics. Apparently unfamiliar with what the title "Super" refers to, they put an otherwise promising character into the most absurd situations. Supergirl is very nearly as strong as Superman, yes, but she is also just s fast. That means super- speed. Does "faster than a speeding bullet" ring a a bell? I watched as Suppergirl just stood by and watched a switch thrown in this last episode, the one used to activate the killing weapon. Just stood there as if she couldn't move. This is just bad writing, you writers. Super- speed, get it? She could have been there before that switch was thrown easily. Think of how the Kryptonians moved in "Man of Steel," or "Smallville." That's how Supergirl should move. Her reflexes match that. It's almost impossible to take any Earth-resident Kryptonian by surprise. So get with it. There are other plot devices which would be infinitely more interesting if writers just dealt with the character's powers instead of hobbling her this way. And, yes, this is written immaturely and unprofessionally. You don't have to write down to kids in the audience. They appreciate the mote intelligent story lines, so give it to 'em and save everybody the pain of watching these episodes.
227 out of 358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst shows I've seen in some time.
CriticalOfEverything26 February 2020
The acting gets worse and worse overtime, the plot is a mess with some of the most convoluted and mediocre writing I've seen come from a superhero related piece of media, the show has literally NO STAKES at all, and the CGI and effects are the worst of the worst. They are GOD AWFUL and dated by 2003 standards. Comparing the CGI in LOTR to this honestly makes me cry in pain. I won't get into the politics either because it honestly doesn't need to be mentioned. This is a hot, messy dumpster fire and I'm surprised that the new episodes keep getting approved.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb. The Supergirl is not so super.
swiftspace23 April 2020
I don't if I am the only one who noticed this, the Supergirl here is too dumb, she is too weak that even a rookie villain comes and beat her easily. She needs the help of side kicks to do her job is just way too much. For example, In season 3, The Reign is shown way too powerful than the Supergirl which is awkward. I would have loved them to be somehow equal match. Just Imagine having god like powers and you still desperately need the help of side kicks to do your job. These thing are acceptable for a hero who doesn't have superpowers, like the Green Arrow. In fact I quite enjoyed that show. Side kicks were adding to the charm of Green Arrow but in the Supergirl, they make her look too powerless, hopeless, dumb etc. The element of melodrama in it just kills this show. personal relationships, political correctness etc. One last thing that kept irritating me is that the Supergirl keeps pleading in front of the villians to look "inside", "something good inside", "I know its not you" blah blah. This character is too dumb.
39 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Going Downhill Fast
webbley_no4 January 2019
I really liked this when it started. I've stuck with it over the years. The latest series though. Talk about being politically left and PC. It's really put me off what was once a good show. Series link is switched off. Recordings are deleted. I won't be watching it again.
129 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Used to Like This Show
iwjgamer10 April 2019
I feel like Supergirl used to be good. Or at least by my standards at the time until I watched Young Justice, Doom Patrol, and Constantine which alongside Human Target are some of the best superhero shows I've ever watched. After season 2, I feel like the show went on a really fast downward spiral until it felt really bad. That combined with the fact that once season 4 started, the CW decided that since Superman and Supergirl were basically like the personification of the American way, every single episode had to have a political message behind it made it pretty much unwatchable after a while. Also, the writing is some of the worst out of the three CW shows I've watched, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl.
78 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goodbye Stuporgirl
rpsugar16 March 2020
I really don't know how I lasted this long watching this progressive soap drama. It is getting harder and harder to find good series (comic or otherwise) that is not motivated with a PC agenda, instead of entertainment. I made it to 5-15 and told myself that's enough. Not worth watching for any genuine entertainment value that it may have. Goodbye Stuporgirl.
39 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Olsen.... really?
jimsboatworks26 October 2015
OK... I gave this show a fair chance. The casting is poorly executed and lazy. Supervisor is not blonde, but I can overlook that... I'm sorry, but JIMMY Olsen is supposed to be red haired, freckled and geeky. Several stories in the comics were based on this. Now we zoom into the future, regardless of his color, suddenly Jimmy Olsen turns into a physically cut confident manly man that insists on being called James. This is just too big of departure from the roots of the story. Making characters another race is expected in this age of TV diversity, but you need to keep their essence. They didn't and ruined the story for me. I can't take this adaptation serious.... Jimmy Olsen is a geek and us comic fans are geeks, he is one of our own, not a cut gym rat. It gets a 1 star in my book. Killing a story in a poor attempt to be diverse.
389 out of 668 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lazy Politically Biased Writers Continuously Fail A Brilliant Cast Of Heroes
andromiliach16 February 2019
Having been a huge fan of the first season, I was increasingly disappointed by the continuous decline of the quality of story telling and lack of originality in Supergirl. In fact a great deal of the Villains and plot lines in the show are poorly plagiarized from the 1996 DC animated series the Adventures of Superman. Except remove Superman and insert Supergirl. Now there is a fine line between an adaptation and blatant plagiarism but it says a lot that the writers of this show did not bother to look in to the myriad of sourced material available to them for Supergirl. For a show that expresses itself as a feminist platform slapping Supergirls face over classic Superman plot lines is beyond lazy and insecure.

Perhaps the most original part of the show has to be the adventures of Alex and her lesbian exploits. Imagine Supergirl and Martian Manhunter are off fighting a powerful villain, the suspense and drama is finally kicking in. Now fade to the next scene, Alex and her relationship problems. Alex is a good character. However the writers continue to focus on her homosexuality as the most interesting/important thing about her, to the point its almost comedic.

The universe of Supergirl mirrors real life political agendas and opinions of our real world. The writers dont give their viewers any sort of credit to be able to figure out whats being said before they blurt out "HEY THIS IS WHAT WERE SAYING" even though it is painfully obvious. The writing for every DC show begins to tank after the 2nd season its a running joke with in the community of DCU lovers but no one is laughing. Supergirl is no different and its a shame because the lead casts of the show are absolutely brilliant in their roles. In fact not only did the show manage to cast in my opinion the best on screen Superman, they managed to cast the best on screen Clark Kent.

So if you're a dedicated DC fan and want to enjoy the show its simple have the fast forward button handy after season one. Skip through the boring scenes. Because buried underneath all of the political agendas is a decent show with some powerful moments but you'll have to dig through the mud to find it.
90 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash trash, trash, trash
manusuazo16 April 2016
First of all i would like to say that i have watched 19 episodes of this show and i am entitled to my opinion (unlike people who saw the pilot and left it) and i have to say that this show is just not good.Are there episodes that are sort of good? Of course,but it says something that your best episode is a collaboration with another studio. to keep in that mindset the biggest problem with the show is its writing. the dialogue is so bad with quips and one liners that are cringeworthy, a story that is propaganda in on itself (which i will touch later), characters that i just don't care about, and love triangles that are just unnecessary.

this show is a mess starting with a big plot that involves "saving the world because of global warming, and the fact we don't care for the environment". GIVE ME A BREAK. why do you think this story is interesting? the market is so filled with propaganda about saving the world that this just does not help, what it does is it uses a stupid pretext of a story in a show that is already filled with feminist propaganda. As i said the writing on this show is just terrible.

so yes you have a show with a female lead, do you need to push all this feminist trash on us every chance you get? like "if god existed SHE would not let this happen", like it genuinely pains me that the show tries so hard to push this bullshit to us, and does not focus on being a having a good story or good characters or at least decent action.

to finish, the thing that bothers me the most is how much potential a female superman has to a good story, but all of that is wasted with stupid lines and stupid propaganda that all it does is bring down the show. so, would i recommend you watch it? NO.
206 out of 358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but has it's problems
deecee2916 July 2020
The show as good , but the writers have a tendency to let their own political views influence the show's story lines. Also the show has a tendency to reveal the identity of the seasonal villains to the audience long before the characters in the show learn who they are and this kind of detracts from the big reveal when the show's hero learns the identity of said villain.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Recapturing our youth
verdantnightingale7 November 2015
After all the harsh reviews I've seen, I decided to actually sign up for this site just to give a more balanced review.

First, I won't lie. I'm a big time superhero lover. Truth be told, Wonder Woman was my true inspiration when I was younger. I could relate to her and admired her strength and courage. I felt like if she could do anything, so could I. Sure, I was just a kid, but that kind of thing is great for kids.

With that said, I feel like this will bring up a new generation of superhero lovers. Everyone basically keeps saying this show is too tropey. But who started those tropes? The classics, of course. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. These were our go-to since comics existed. Supergirl was later created so that girls could have a feminine figure to admire as well.

I feel like so many people are missing the point of this show because they think it's too silly, the writing is too immature, or the plot seems too on-the-nose. But look at it from a new perspective: Can parents see themselves watching this with their children? Arrow shows some rather steamy scenes when that sweet lovin' is going on. What are parents doing? "No, sorry kids, can't watch this." But Kara is cute, dorky, and the Everygirl. She wants her boss to be more understanding, she wants to help people, and she always has an encouraging word to say. The most important thing -- she values her friends. What better lesson to teach your kids in a modern age? And for those who are kids at heart, it's still an enjoyable show. There's a great cast with lots of people we recognize (at least I recognize several). It reminds me of my youth and why I loved superheroes to begin with. She's a *clothed* feminine figure who isn't relying on the size of her chest or butt to show how capable she is. Wasn't that the biggest complaint of all scifi and fantasy? Now, anyone who remembers the classic Disney movie, Hercules, and loved it regardless of what age they are, I feel like that's the movie that best describes this show. I was young enough to appreciate it, and I've even re-watched it out of nostalgia a few times. The more I think of a dorky person who didn't know their own abilities, including that inner heroic capability, the more I see a parallel between that movie and Supergirl 2015. Both wanted to be more. Both wanted to find a purpose in life. Both found it by being a hero and saving others.

For people who missed that 90s happy campy nature, I feel like this show brings it back, but without feeling like an entire "camping" trip. Having also seen Arrow, Flash, and Gotham, Supergirl show is worthy of all ages. I just believe people need to give Supergirl a chance. Like any show, it will find that "groove" and improve. We've barley even started.
381 out of 703 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think I saw Supergirl get rocked by some regular dude...
asadm-9057024 July 2020
The show has major inconsistencies in terms of power levels. Supergirl goes from lifting a spaceship that weighs millions and millions of tonnes to getting overpowered and beat up by regular thugs that have no kryptonite in their possession and her powers aren't drained. Like yes we understand the show could get boring if she just beat everyone in a single punch but her getting beat up by every single bad guy she runs into is worse. It just gets ridiculous, outrageous, and frustrating. Ironically, it is unrealistic considering how powerful the house of El is established to be on earth in the DC universe like come on. Other than that, the show is really good. The characters are great at acting and all have their charms, stories are well written, cgi is good for a tv show and even great at times. They do take some aspects to the extreme and just shove it in your face repeatedly but overall it deserves a higher rating than the current 6.3/10 on imdb.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish I didn't hate it
okjake-433514 October 2017
I am not one to go out of my way to write a bad review; I'd generally prefer not to spend any more time than necessary on a terrible terrible show. For Supergirl I make an exception for two reasons: I am too disappointed not to, and I simply can't help but feel obligated to echo the sentiments of many other disappointed comic book fans. I'll explain...

Although I like the actors for Supergirl, Kat, and Winn, I am less than thrilled with pretty much every other. Mechad Brooks is a badass and absolutely cut out for a killer role in a super hero movie but that is exactly why he should not be Jimmy Olsen... Jimmy is a scrawny nerd and that's the way I like him. The rest of the characters just seem too contrived with the exception of a few cameo characters I could love in anything. Yet, admittedly, I'm not convinced that the issues are because of the characters they cast or because of the incompetence of the writers and directing team.

My most severe problems with Supergirl are the story lines and scripts. Riddled with political agenda topics, whiny and jealous main characters, and childish fights, the show has left me cringing so bad for three whole seasons that I'm ashamed to admit I've watched as much as I have. The only reason I've made it this far is because of a deep- rooted loyalty to DC and a misguided hope that the writers would figure out what isn't working. I've given up hope. I will not be continuing on past he third season with anything short of replacement of the writing team and/or director. I truly hope that happens...
145 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Benoist deserves better
jimena-2053222 July 2020
As a professional, Melissa has demostrated that she is an example for many young actors. She is respected and loved by her castmates and fans. A very hard worker actress. 5 years as a lead character in a superhero show? Is a lot (just ask R. Rose) Benoist is always smiling and showing endless energy. Her producers and writers? It seems they don't care about the show so much. So sad. No consistency in the story or the characters. Sometimes they're are too many making it hard to do an arc for each one. Or...they don't have the capacity. I don't now. Please. Do something quickly. There's potential. Rath and McGraw are delicious artists. Look for a good villain. Let Lex go back to Superman.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.