Inrang (2018) Poster

(2018)

Best Netflix's Live Action So Far
josevacis22 October 2018
The adaptation of Mamoru Oshii's "Jin-Roh" of 1999 is quite good, it retains the essence of the original animation film directed by Hiroyuki Okiura. I highly recommend this film for action lovers, asian cinema enthusiats. The movie doesn't deviate that much from a possible reality of a reunified north and south korea. The acting is decent, the effects and suits are quite good and the plot flows smootly until the end. Anyone that has seen the original master piece before would find dissapointement in the last 15 min. The raw and "bestial" ending was changed for a more "humane" one. If they had kept the original ending that preserved the nature of the main quote, I would have easily given it a 9/10.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've been waiting almost 20 years for this and thankfully it was not a whitewashed Hollywood disaster!
purifier-119 October 2018
Being a huge Kerberos fan (went as far as spending two whole month salaries to buy a full size set of armor back in the day) my expectations were really high Yes they've changed the setting but it's almost a shot to shot homage to Jin Roh in some parts, when Grace Omega started playing I immediately got frisson! If you're a fan of the saga you'll enjoy every single minute of this, even though someone could dislike the alternative finale...
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what a piece of work it is... a tour de force work from the director (just watched couple hours ago_
koreanhusky25 July 2018
As a Korean critic, I should have gave it a 10 but on a second thought... had to be impartial due to my upbringing in the States. Although currently living in Korea having served in the national army as well. Visually, I get that director KIM JI HOON had deliberately or not payed a successful hommage to its Japanese predecessor albeit bit of twist in scenario to make it more befitting to our Korean situation and what not...

But the protagonist's love interest with gorgeous Han Hyo Joo hasn't been given much formation in the story line as to make it seem even out of the blue romance between the two. And this lack of character development only adds to make the running time feel longer than it already is.

I have to give respect to the effort they put in to come up with non CGI primitive brawl styled actions as well as the visually provoking underground tunnel action scenes which depicts the original anime.

All and all, I hope the following reviewers and critics alike ( mostly Westerners I am sure ) would view this action flicked romanced tear jerker as a Korean FILM that came out as the byproduct of the so called " PHASE" in our cinematic industry of being globalized as to setting a foot print in the beginning of the era of K movie global influence domination following K-POP and K-dramas. Thank you and merci beaucoup.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I expected from Kim Jee-woon.
pinoko16 October 2018
The director of this movie is one of my personal favourites who previously made such modern classics as Tale of two sisters, Bittersweet life and I saw the devil. This time however he disappointed me even if his new feature is not nearly as bad as its initial korean reputation would suggest. A remake of the acclaimed japanese anime Jin-roh this new movie somehow fails to make the impact that one might expect from this director. It's not like it is not competently made, it just lacks that excitement off all those earlier movies. The production values are top-notch with excellent cinematography and fight coreography but the final product somehow feels like an unremarkable and hollow action movie without that spark that made Bittersweet life such an unforgettable experience. Kim knows how to direct and edit frenetic chase sequences but the narrative here is so unconvincing and bland that it is just not enough. The acting does no favour either as Gang Dong-Won and Han Hyo-Joo come off as boring protagonists. The only bright spot is newcomer Kim Moo-Jeol as the villain wearing a badass leather coat who manages to breath some fresh air into the mean economics of the movie. Unfortunately the 139 minute lenght is also way too much, hopefully the new cut (soon to be released on Netflix) will make the movie somewhat tighter and more exciting.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good movie if you don't know about Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
phanthinga21 October 2018
I love every movie I've seen from director Jee-woon Kim and the fact that bring back the iconic action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger in his American debut The Last Stand (2013) so when I heard he about to direct the live action adaptation of Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade I can only imagine how awesome the famous incident in the sewers scene on the big scene or the special police unit armor would look like with real people but what I don't know is Jee-woon Kim also bring back home the Hollywood treatment for foreign movies for Illang.I don't mind the change in the story for it to fit the current state of North Korea and South Korea but what I do mind is how much different the two main characters in Illang to their Japanese counterpart in Jin Roh.There so much more action in Illang so for people that think Jin Roh is boring without the action it definitely a plus but for me the four short action scene in the original are still superior thank to how emotionally attached I am to the characters and the ending make me have no desire to watch it again
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpected....
hamlet-1622 October 2018
This was a major flop on release in Korea.... But I found it stylish satisfying and at times genuinely scary! Perhaps not being aware of its background helped. I genuinely enjoyed it.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Korean Perspective
dncorp20 October 2018
Interesting what the Korean Scriptwriters think about Super Powers meddling into Reunification of the Republic of South Korea and the Democratic People's Nation of North Korea.

Does a Reunification mean a Republic of Korea or a Democratic People's Nation of Korea?

Makes the South Koreans seem petty, as fighting and killing each other for control of the Republic of South Korea. While the Republic of South Korea Government is fighting for Reunification, while some South Korean Citizens are fighting against Reunification.

Script 8 Entertainment Value 8 Acting 8 Would recommend this to others to watch to learn about Korean Cultural Anthropology.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good.
thefox-3776127 October 2018
Entertaining and quite intelligent combat and action sequences throughout the movie; however, remarkably dumb reasons provided by the plot to explain the purpose of this combat. I thought all of the fighting and firefights of the movie were incredibly unique and interesting as far as movies go, the setting was also something that I enjoyed. But, it really feels as if the actions of any character become pointless, especially during the third act of the movie.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than I thought.
minatotomodachi22 October 2018
It seems the movie didn't work well in Korea, and I remember watching the Jin roh animé as a kid and didn't like it that much. However I really enjoyed this movie, yeah the romance part might a bit long but also has some purpose in building the final climax. I liked the quality of the movie action scene, simple and without CG. A really good action movie with an intriguing setup. I felt entertained.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Rare Dud From Kim Jee-woon. Disappointing & Forgettable.
CinemaClown25 October 2018
From one of South Korean cinema's most versatile filmmakers, Illang: The Wolf Brigade marks Kim Jee-woon's first stint with sci-fi and while the futuristic setting is interesting, the film doesn't pack a strong enough punch to deliver the quality of storytelling that we have come to expect from the revered filmmaker.

The story of Illang: The Wolf Brigade is set in the near-future where both North & South Korea have decided to re-unify their governments after years of planning but face resistance from a terrorist group. And so to battle this new threat & wipe them from existence, the South Korean police launches a special & deadly unit.

Directed by Kim Jee-woon (A Bittersweet Life, The Good, the Bad, the Weird & I Saw the Devil), Illang: The Wolf Brigade packs some captivating set pieces but the drama fails to leave a lasting impression and doesn't offer anything to invest into. Even the opening prologue fails to create a sense of intrigue like it's supposed to.

Not everything is a disaster though for the action scenes retain a sense of kinetic flair and the dynamic use of camera in those moments infuses energy of its own. But it's all for nothing as we are already detached from all that's unfolding on the screen and the characters involved in that environment. Also, the melodrama only makes its worse.

On an overall scale, Illang: The Wolf Brigade has bits n pieces of brilliance but the material is too weak & uninspiring to sustain the interest and leaves the audience feeling indifferent in the end. The film's vision of the future is a plus but it fails to weave a gripping plot around it. An unexpected dud from Kim Jee-woon, his latest isn't what one expects from a director of his calibre.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solidly entertaining
Leofwine_draca21 October 2018
Korean director Kim Jee-woon's latest offering is another anime adaptation, this time in the form of ILLANG: THE WOLF BRIGADE. The main problem with it is that two and a half hours it's much too overlong and could have done with some judicious cutting, but other than that this is a solid effort. It's a futuristic fable in which a new Cold War leads to a reunification attempt between North and South Korea. Some rebel fighters try to prevent it but are outmatched by an army of gas mask-wearing armoured super-soldiers who cut through anything in their path. This is bright and vibrant action movie, filled with decent special effects and appropriately entertaining fight and chase sequences, mainly utilising super technology in the form of massive shoot-outs and the like. It certainly holds together better than other Netflix anime adaptations I've watched recently like FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining
lagebesprechungen4 November 2018
I love-story in a dystopian future. I liked the cast, the aesthetics and the narrative. The film establishes especially well an gray-blue atmosphere of danger, tension and surprise. I will look out for Korean movies in the future!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 1999 Anime was much better...
paul_haakonsen29 November 2018
Alright, well why would Korean take on remaking "Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade"? That just eluded me.

Regardless, I found this movie on Netflix while perusing through their Asian section. Having seen the animated movie back during my late teenage years, of course I had to give a live action movie a view, without a doubt.

So how was it? Well in all honesty, I can say that it wasn't all that impressive. Sure, the visual effects and the armors were great, and there were a couple of good gun fights. But the storyline was just so mediocre that it was hard to get immersed into the movie, into the universe and into embracing the Korean remake.

The acting in the movie was fairly good, taking into consideration the horribly weak script they had to work with.

Sure, the movie was adequate for what it turned out to be, and it was entertaining for sure. I had just expected somewhat more from a live action movie based on the classic "Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade" anime. But for viewers not familiar with the 1999 anime, then I am sure this is a mighty fine and dandy movie. But for us already well familiar with the 1999 anime, not so much...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confused!
angeladenis5 November 2018
Perhaps if I had seen the anime version the other raters talk about, I would have understood what was going on. I was very confused regarding the motivation of each main character.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid tribute to Jin Roh but that ending...
endiessraln28 October 2018
I was a big fan of the Jin Roh name. Storytelling at its best. The beginning of the film felt just like watching the anime but in live action. The extra action is welcome but felt a bit redundant after awhile. But the ending. Why the happy ending? The original is still far superior due to the tragic and realistic ending. Didn't care for that at all really...
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another South Korean Gem
asby115615 December 2018
A fast-action thriller set in the near future. Excellent performances by the principal actors helped by an excellent script and cinematography. In real life, the lead actor is a former South Korean Army soldier, and the lead actress is the daughter of a senior South Korean military officer. This possibly helped them give strong performances in a military-esque type of drama. And they are both tall; quite tall for Asian actors. I'm not sure if tall Asian actors are now being pushed in thrillers because they will come across better to international audiences or not. But these two certainly have potential for international success.

The only reason I gave this movie a 9 rather than a 10 is because there is a contrivance at the end. Spoiler Alert!!! The noble leader of the renegade group of law enforcement reformers is obviously quite insightful and intelligent. So why would he want to kill off the heroine at the end, knowing she had to do what she did to save her very physically-ill younger brother? This was obviously done to set up a big, impressively-choreographed fight between the group leader and the hero over the heroine's fate. Everything worked out in the end, but I thought the writer could have done a better job of finishing the story without making the group leader have a temporary mental lapse near the end.

This movie, like the outstanding "Train To Busan," shows that Hollywood better pay close attention to South Korean film makers, especially pertaining to thrillers.
Could've been better
rodrigorossi30011 November 2018
Very atmospheric and interesting premise, but unfortunately lacks a good script. Main problem is that neither the story nor any of the characters held a grasp of my attention. Characters' motivations are confusing and I could care less about what would happen to any of them. But, at least, it compensates the lack a good plot with brillantly and very creative action scenes; if not a bit too unrealistic sometimes - the accuracy of those guys rivals the Stormtroopers'. In the end, the impression that was left in me is that it could have been much, much better.
Nice
t-b-veneman10 November 2018
I have seen the anime, this tries to follow the same line and doesn't fail. Surprisingly good with no huge plot holes or inconsistencies. Good action and interesting setting. 8/10
One on One
investorman1 November 2018
Hey this was pretty good! Not to *spoil things, but at the end, it had to be One vs One. You will see from the *leader to the one that had *ghosts of the past haunting him and the true one to reveal of the purest heart of righteousness. Reminded me of "Wolves of Mibu" from Rurouni Kenshin Anime version. but in its unique authentic Korean form. Loved it.
KILLZONE ?
BatuhanEnizToprakman21 October 2018
I like the movie, but why did the special team team escape from a computer game called killzone?
2 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad as a mindless action flick.
kking-6864115 November 2018
It was pretty entertaining, with fast-paced and well made shootout scenes. Lots of guns and explosions. The politics are totally unrealistic, and the character responses to things at several points are unbelievable. But if you can turn off your brain or just don't care about those things or the plot holes, it's a fun way to waste a couple of hours.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film from North Korea, about North Korea
ersbel29 October 2018
This is a film from North Korea, about North Korea. The extreme nationalism. The One Nation. The "Great Powers" against the small and resilient nation. The importance of getting back as One Nation. Than the publicity stunts. The One Nation is so important everybody joins forces to fight them. Not only so, but they do a necromancy act and revive Russia at the Cold War level. And down to every detail, everything looks like what a political activist from the North would have written. The town is in flames, the people are in the streets, yet there is a high speed train? The One Nation China fears, right? And it can get even lower. The soldiers need night googles to indiscriminately shoot on automatic, yet they need to remove the night googles to examine the results?!?

Than somebody told me this is not a North Korean wet dream. This is actually a South Korean wet dream. So is there a difference between the North and South besides the money the whole world injects into the "democratic" side?
0 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.