12 Kilometers (2016) Poster

(2016)

12KM is a brilliant horror short!
praimon-1793413 January 2019
Mike Pecci invited me to watch 12KM, I've followed his Instagram account for a few years as the process of making films is intriguing to me. And interesting Indy movies are something I seek out. So, to the film. In short... If you like a bit of tense, grimy, dirty expertly made Horror... you'll be impressed with this. Mr Pecci has made something compelling here, I hope this gets the full feature treatment soon. He's really on to something! Safe to say that I REALLY enjoyed the film. I'm no expert or critic, but, I loved the lighting, (I sensed some Ridley Scott influence?) and sound design were both standouts. Mike Pecci manages a great deal with very strong performances and, I imagine, few resources. Thank you sir, it was a pleasure.
Suspenseful short reminiscent of The Thing
jesskbarnett9 January 2019
Horror isn't dead -- at least the genre isn't! Mike Pecci has done a great job with this short film, following in the footsteps of John Carpenter (The Thing) while adding his own blend of suspense to the horror category.
A prelude to greatness
darathus8 January 2019
Beautifully shot despite the dark environment, this short takes us to the literal depths of Russia as a team of drillers and scientists are about to tap into the sound of the planet. Without revealing all of his cards, Mike Pecci and team have us anteing up to see what else he has in store.
Beyond Incredible
kalishvictor8 January 2019
12KM film needs to be longer. I had my eyes glued to the screen instantaneously. The face that i am Russian and i love Russian horror films so this got my attention. I had chills down my spine the whole time and goosebumps. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER. I hate cliffhangers more than anything but if i have to wait a year or so for this film to be in full length i will wait as long as possible.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Extremely interesting first Act...
indyanajever7 January 2019
12KM feels like an amazing first act, it grips with you from the moment go, with amazing cinematography and great use of lighting. The ending made me want to watch and peeks my curiosity to the fullest and I didn't want to stop watching. I don't know how he was able to make the SPFX but for lack of a better term the "creature" and subject matter is some of the most interesting I've ever seen in horror. The only fault I can give this film is that elements of story aren't explained too much but I chalk that up to run time. Other than that I thought this was an excellent short film.
Real suspenseful thriller
sethwade6 January 2019
This film is beautifully shot, the lighting and colors and sounds draw you right into the story. A little bit of the acting could use some work, but it does not take away from the film as a whole. The story keeps you on the edge of your seat almost from the very beginning. All in all, very good film that leaves you wanting more.
Great Use of Sound and Visuals
eirewolf5 January 2019
I feel fortunate to have been given the opportunity to see this short film by Mike Pecci. It was definitely original and very dark. I really appreciated his use of macro in his visuals which provided a visually stunning way of presenting the terror. His use of sound was also exceptional in helping to portray the horror of what was going on. I am curious to see where this movie may go if given the green light for a full length film. Do yourself a favor and make sure to have the volume up and/or an exceptional pair of headphones on if you get to see this. The sounds are key to the terror.
Very Intense Short
paulkenrick1 January 2019
Really enjoyed the concept of this short which would make a great feature length film. Had the proper 80's vibe going on & the score fitted perfectly & added to the tension. I'll be interested to see what Mr Pecci does going forward very good indie film maker.
Well-crafted and spooky!
carteraakhus31 December 2018
You can tell director Mike Pecci poured his heart and soul into this labor of love. It is extremely well-helmed; in terms of cinematography, editing, lighting, set design and costume design, it is very impressive. The story is relatively simple, but that is for the best for the sake of pacing. That being said, I very much look forward to the possibility of him creating a feature out of this. It would no doubt be a hit!
Wanting more
adamjmiranda31 December 2018
It was a great piece of art,good visual and sound effects. Very original style left me wanting more. Its like a intro into a movie or TV show leaving you on a cliff hanger. Can't wait to see what Mike has next.
Superb
tteotd68731 December 2018
The moment this film starts I was hooked. The dark and damp atmosphere is beautiful. The tension to what exactly is going on and what is going to happen is extremely well executed. The acting and direction of this film is top notch. I really hope this film gets made into a full length or even a series. I greatly appreciate that I was allowed to view this film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An incredibly crafted horror short film!
alexcheesburger31 December 2018
The second this film opened I was enthralled by its use of sound. It was able to set an eerie tone in the first 20 seconds and after that it sticks with you throughout the whole film.

For me the film created the same atmosphere and feeling I got from watching one of my favourite horror films "The Thing". In no way does it feel like you are watching someone try to copy that film but instead I felt the same tone and atmosphere come across of clostraphobia, suspicion and fascination.

Like I mentioned at the start I absolutely loved the sound design in this film and the score for it. The music fits perfectly with every scene constantly making you feel uneasy and the sound does this as well by genuinely making it feel like they have dug their way into hell itslef.

As a massive horror fan, I can say that this film did what it set out to do and create an eerie tone from start to finish. I really hope this film gets made into a feature as I want to see more of where they can take this story an plot. I look forward to seeing more films from Mike Pecci as it's clear he has a passion for making these films and that comes across in this film. If you want to watch a excellently crafted film in all aspects of sound, sets, acting, lighting, story and more then I strongly recommend this film.
Brilliantly Crafted
taylorthum31 December 2018
This short was so beautifully crafted. The opening scenes were nicely shot with dolly movement that complimented the action and set the scene for viewers. I believe that the framing of the shots were also very well done. The lighting and color of this film set the tone and adds to the eerie feel of it. I admire the fact that most, if not all the shots, were filmed in camera and not just in post. It definitely adds to the rawness of this film and gave me the scene of reality, especially with the 'monster'. The use of macro lens and microscopes for the 'monster' is something very special that makes this film stand out. I can tell after watching this that there was a strong sense of team work and great communication within all departments and aspects on set. This is so important to make a film work smoothy and come together, and I think the team on this film did a fantastic job with that. And for being a short, 30 minute film, the information was so nicely paced and timed out. The information was presented clearly in an orderly and well timed out manner. This short exceeded all my expectations and truly surprised me with how well scripted and shot it was. I can not wait to see the feature someday, and I look forward to seeing more of what Mike Pecci has to offer!
Unique
lisa-7254230 December 2018
I really enjoyed this. I liked the different concept.
Mike Pecci has outdone himself
dillongebler30 December 2018
This short has you captivated with the very beginning shots. The anticipation is built through the amazing acting performances and the incredible directing. The color grading is beautiful on this film and fits the tone very nicely. As the film progresses the anticipation turns into suspense, and eventually turns into terror. I would love to see how the story is interpreted into a feature length film. It would be a movie I couldn't miss. This short is 100% capable of winning some awards.
Psychological Thriller That Leaves You Wondering
zeffralte30 December 2018
Before watching this movie I had no idea whatsoever what kind of movie this would turn out to be. But as I started watching it I slowly started to understand the plot and although there were a few plot holes, I really enjoyed the movie. The ending got me by surprise. The movie made me remember how toying with things you shouldn't be toying with can end horribly and how tense small closed spaces can make you feel. All in all it was a good movie, not great but good. I cant wait to see the next project.
Captivating Suspense
katelynnjones30 December 2018
Wow. as a lover of everything horror this blew me away. my eyes were practically glued to the screen. didn't notice until after the short was over that the music and story building up had my heart beating, breathing deep, and muscles clenched. I yelled at the TV when the credits rolled. I need to see the full movie!!
Can't wait for more
manzellajack6 December 2018
The idea of this short being turned into a feature is fantastic! As a short it was fun, complex, and original. The 30 minutes flew by. I was blown away by the use of the macro shots used for the effects that the mystery black goo was having on people. The only criticism I can make in good conscious is the single predictably overused "what have I done?" line. Mike Pecci and team did great on this and the thought of them being able to expand on it and make it into a feature is good news for all movie fans. Can't wait to see what comes next!
Quite Extraordinary
mre-194606 December 2018
Loved everything about this movie. Color palette was great. Acting stellar. Editing on point. Original as all get out. Creepy. Great score. Award worthy for sure.
Blown Away!
JPACE54 December 2018
I have been following the director Mike Pecci for a little while now and I was very excited to see this film. 12KM blew me away. From the gripping story to the superb editing and visual choices this movie was all around amazing. All the pieces were there for this one, Mike Pecci executed his vision perfectly.

I look for original content of high quality and this is a top competitor.
What a privilege
joshuanguerrero2 December 2018
12KM is the type of short film that restores your faith in the medium. Director Mike Pecci proves that it is indeed possible to create a believable, interesting universe, without resorting to multiple instalments or a feature length release... and he does it all without boring us with arthouse fluff.

From the get go the atmosphere is claustrophobic and tense. Even when the frame opens on jaw dropping extreme wide shots of mountain views, you can't help but feel the utter isolation put forward. This is in large part due to the score which perfectly accentuates the visual story telling. The soundscape is clearly reminiscent of 80's Sci-Fi/Horror which I absolutely loved. It does this without seeming as if it is leeching off of its inspirations, which is no easy feat when attempting to pay homage to your predecessors.

In terms of visuals, the cinematography here is phenomenal. From the framing, to the colours and lighting. It is evident that the filmmakers are adept at their craft, and the masterful editing keeps the pace moving along at the appropriate rate. The use of macro photography for some of the visuals was an inspired choice that nicely adds to the frantic aura of the film. And that's what makes this short so special. The 'vibe'. I personally don't get frightened by horror movies but this did something that most in the genre fail to do. It kept me guessing, it kept me thinking and it genuinely pulled me into the creepy world that it portrayed.

Of course, nothing is perfect. My only criticism, and it is honestly a minor one, was that the script at times felt a bit heavy handed or like we were being told things that a real person would not say, but rather think. I believe a little more of show and don't tell could have helped here. HOWEVER, this is more of a nitpick than a critique but it did slightly remind me that I was watching something artificial rather than experiencing a finely crafted universe. It is also important to note tat this film is presented in a foreign language so it was probably intentional in order to keep the audience focused and invested without letting their minds stray too far. Not to mention they were playing with a short run time.

Overall, this is a unique, unforgettable experience that leaves you salivating for more. It hits many marks that a lot of modern Hollywood movies of the same genre could only dream of touching upon. If you ever get the chance to watch this, please do. You won't regret it. Or maybe you will... but in the best way possible.

To the creative team I say congratulations and thank you for delivering this solid piece. Your efforts here truly paid off. To Mike Pecci, I give my best wishes as I know we will definitely be seeing more of his work in the future.
Astounding Passion
porter-justus1 December 2018
After finally being able to watch this film I must say it truly was astounding. You can see the passion for the story in ever aspect of the project. Pecci really shows his skills and level of commitment and dedication to the craft and art of filmmaking. It was thrilling to watch and was engaging to the very end. It may have been the shortest 30 min I've ever experienced. There is never a moment of fault in the story, the pacing the, the visuals or the acting. It was expertly executed.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a fantastic Horror short.
alexhall20111 December 2018
This film is fantastic horror short that gets it right. 12km's atmosphere was done prefectly in my mind, it is haunting yet 12km was also intriguing to me and left me wanting more of its style and story. One of my favorite things about the film is actually using Russian instead of english, it really gave a nice touch to the film. 12km reminds me of 80's horror films because they rely so much of atmosphere and actually telling a story. 12km dose exactly that in my mind.
Beautifully Stylish and Surrealistic; An Eerie Cinematic Experience
macktaylormedia29 November 2018
I don't know where to start. The opening sequence includes a long continuous tracking shot - purely on photographic grounds, that sequence was awesome to experience. The visuals were at a level I'd expect from higher end features - absolutely beautiful. The production and set design hit the nail on the head - the environment felt authentic and real and the sound design really pulled it together and the soundtrack was unbelievable. The super macro-shots of the bacteria gave a very eerie, surreal feeling.

However, I do think that the villain or antagonist character of the strange bacteria hidden in the depths could have used some more development and something to establish the level of threat - currently we only know that it's killed several people and shown our protagonist a terrifying vision of his father at the conclusion/climax and made some eerie noises but as far as that, we don't really know much more about the potential consequences that the entity could create... it feels a bit too mysterious at that point and I feel we didn't know enough about what the entity in the abyss could do to be truly terrified. Perhaps I need to view it a second time? I'm not sure.

That's really my only gripe with the story: the pacing was on-point and I never once felt bored. The ending was certainly punchy and dramatic - I enjoyed the conclusion.

The visuals were brilliant, the production value was solid and all-in-all 12KM is a solid piece. I'd definitely recommend this film - I look forward to seeing Pecci develop the concept in greater detail, perhaps feature length is more appropriate to explore the universe of 12KM further.
Great atmospheric short
benmeredithdp29 November 2018
Really enjoyed the overall tone of the film - as a cinematographer I enjoyed how the movie was lensed. Looked nice and had a very thick atmosphere which isn't always easy to do. Acting was on point, and the ending was definitely something! Took me a while after I finished it to wrap my head around the whole thing - but I enjoy that in movies. Very well executed - great proof of concept for something like a feature.