Benny Loves You (2019) Poster

Great fun
markthomassintek4 May 2021
REVIEW - BENNY LOVES YOU

British made film for you here which is just simply insane but insane in a good way.

A loser decides to turn his life around and following the advice of a self help cassette tape (remember those?) throws away his teddy called Benny.

Now apparently something that you have loved for many years can absorb the love so when you get older and throw it away it can come to life, in this case killing anyone who gets too close to his owner.

Love this film for the sheer sillyness of the story, the special FX but most of all, well see how many other films you spot during the film.

An insane hoot of a film to waste your time on, especially at the moment when there isn't much else being released.

Rating 6 out of 10.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Love You Too Benny.
TipToeThroughHell15 April 2021
What happens when you turn your back on your stuffed childhood best friend? He proves his love by taking out those that get in your way. A hilarious, gory horror comedy with a nutso premise that actually works.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Benny is a toy to die for. Literally...
paul_haakonsen4 April 2021
I must admit that I sat down to watch the 2019 movie "Benny Loves You" with absolutely no expectations. So writer and director Karl Holt had every opportunity to impress and entertain me with this movie.

And that he did. "Benny Loves You" turned out to be a very enjoyable horror comedy that, while starting out a bit slow, immediately started to grow on me. And I ended up thoroughly enjoying this movie. If you think of a movie that combines elements of "Child's Play", "Puppet Master" and "Sesame Street", and add a hefty dose of comedy, then you have "Benny Loves You". And it worked out so well.

The storyline in "Benny Loves You" was good. Sure, it was rather simplistic, but it was well-written and so nicely brought to life on the screen by director Karl Holt. And not only was it a good and enjoyable movie for the story, but the stuffed toy Benny definitely made it so much better. He was just hilarious and such a killer at the same time, that it was hard not to love him.

The effects in "Benny Loves You" were straight forward. Sure, they weren't high end Hollywood CGI special effects that steal away the attention from the movie, but the special effects in "Benny Loves You" worked well in favor of this movie. There was just something very loveable to the effects, and it gave Benny so much character and life.

And it should also be noted that, if are an avid movie watcher and enjoy horror movies, then there are some pretty nice references and homages to movies such as "Evil Dead" and "Childs Play" in this movie, amongst some others.

It should be said that the acting in the movie was good. Now, I wasn't familiar with anyone on the cast list, and that is something I enjoy. Sure, the cast ensemble was relatively small, but the people in the movie carried it well with their individual and collective performances.

If you find yourself given the opportunity to watch the 2019 movie "Benny Loves You", then do so. This was such a wonderful horror comedy.

My rating of "Benny Loves You" lands on a well-deserved seven out of ten stars.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obviously a lot of friends are reviewing this film...
clothingmydemons3 April 2021
After a year of lockdown, we're all on the hunt for the next thing to watch but honestly, do yourself a favour and find something else.

The acting is that bad it's pretty much impossible to enjoy whatever weak story line there's supposed to be, and I've lowered the bar pretty low since lockdown has begun.

I really wanted to like this film as this is totally my genre of choice, but I honestly can't recommend it to anyone. Feels like something your mate would film with an iPhone and upload to YouTube.

Back to searching for something decent to watch... Sigh.
40 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible, thumbs down
squidcakes13 March 2021
So disappointing, a mediocre idea with a twist and still falls flat. Painfully bad acting and massively disappointing effects, there are one or two funny scenes which were poorly executed
38 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEAR with it
elinkate25 May 2021
You have to get past the ridiculous opening scene with the mother and daughter and take it for what it is; a horror COMEDY.

It's absolutely brilliant! It's so silly and over the top but so clever and darkly funny. I would highly recommend it, just bear with the strange opening scenes.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, low-fi horror with great CGI
jon_pratt123453 April 2021
A fun, off-beat comedy horror. It felt like a very well made amature film but it also had vision, you could tell this was being made by people who knew exactly what they wanted to do. The contemporary Britishness did make it feel more unique than perhaps it was and it clearly borrowed much from all across the established horror genre. The animation and CGI was really impressive, maybe this is where they blew the budget but it honestly wouldn't be out of place in a Hollywood blockbuster - I'm really not joking. Overall, despite its apparent bizarre concept and general unserious appearance, this film has a clear and coherent story and cast of characters; it's a good length and easy to watch (except for some of the over the top gore!).
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cringe
getoutofmyhouse-669293 April 2021
It was like a purposely bad 80's film but in HD, couldn't finish it.
28 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The geekiest film I've ever seen
info-6359920 May 2021
But it's really good and has a lot of heart, literally gory Bloody heart and other severed body parts I can't recommend it enough 👍
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will there be a sequel...
dmzmqjhv19 May 2021
I see that it's going for a cheesy thrill but I have to say that I definitely enjoyed this film. I was creating short films on YouTube in a similar fashion, going for a horror/comedy theme. And this film did an interesting good job, makes me think of the Chucky movies. I'd say give this movie a try, if you enjoy a bit of gore and a chuckle, you'll want to reach in and give Benny a hug. Hah! 😀
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Immense fun
webjunk-626357 June 2021
Extremely daft, immense fun film which effectively rips the urine out of the trope of mad toy horror films.

There is a plot. Mad toy come to life. Terrorises people.

Fun filled Brit film very well done.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
velmakelly2525 October 2020
I watched this film during the October Frighfest of 2020 and it was awesome. It's very funny, touching and pretty gory. I was so glad I decide to get a ticket for it.
21 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Missing one ingredient...
Go_For_The_Jugular2 April 2021
And that one ingredient is decent acting...such a shame.

Everything else is on point. The film looks and sounds great, with some clever special effects. But my god, the acting is terrible...EVERY SINGLE CAST MEMBER SUCKED! Are they all friends/family?

The acting was on par with those one-off 'viewer-submitted' comedy shows you get on E4 after midnight. As a result, it feels more like you're watching a sitcom pilot with a weirdly substantial budget.

The film tries to mimic more successful British films...stealing aspects from a number of flicks from recent years...and subsequently, comes across 'too British'!

I can't say I'd recommend it, but it's nowhere near the worst film out at the moment.
17 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Benny: Portrait of a killer teddy
ntj-film7 April 2021
35 year old, living with his parents, manchild Jack is about to shake up his life and achieve the kind of success that up until now has eluded him. This involves, in part, getting rid of childhood memorabilia, particularly his beloved felt teddy Benny.

But Benny isn't about to go quietly into the night and inturn starts to massacre anyone who comes into contact with Jack.

What will this ultimately mean for his blossoming career and love life.

What a truly enjoyable watch this was.

It was funny, quirky and more than a little silly.

Also worth mentioning was the primitive moveset of Benny as it truly added to the my appreciation and enjoyment of the film.

Plus Benny' vocal performance brought to mind the fat, cross-eyed, uber hyper gremlin from the New Batch (always a plus)

If this sounds like your kind of movie (then it probably is)

Hope you enjoy it.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly delightful
sg-622-21397224 October 2020
"Benny Loves You" is that rarest of cinematic creations, a note-perfect horror comedy. Utterly delightful!
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What The ....
svader4 April 2021
What the hell is this rubbish.

No idea why the fakers spend so much time writing rubbish. Ashley she's like 13/14 acting 6/7. Dumb all round. No story no acting . .. .
19 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hey, wanna see something insane?)
zhurvic6 April 2021
Insanity. This is the first word that comes to mind when you watch this. But I'm putting it in a good way here, that type of madness we watch indie horror comedies for. Of course if you are a squeamish watcher and value good visuals, stellar acting and Oscar worthy scriptwriting, you definitely better give it a pass.

As I am not a fussy viewer and appreciate originality and creativity over flawless cinematography and professionalism in filmaking, I did enjoy "Benny loves you", but unfortunately not completely. The fundamental weakness to my taste here is utter violence and gore. Honestly, I would like it so much better if there was more of Benny rattling around with a knife or a pair of nippers without taking an action and killing someone, because it would be absolutely enough. Taking about Benny himself...oh, man, he is a star. For starters, wanna commend Benny's appearance and voice choices, this is where movie definetely succeeds. Besides the fact that Benny is mad as a cut snake and not to mention his capacity for diverse sorts of violence, he is absolutely adorable. Along with "Willy's Wonderlands'" "It's your birthday" song, Benny's creepy laughter will stay in my memory for quite a long time. And actually mentioned above Willy's Wonderlands could be a good indicator to make a conclusion to watch or not to watch this one. If you enjoyed seeing Nicolas Cage whooping puppets' arses on screen, perhaps you should give Benny a chance as well. In my point of view in comparison Benny is an obvious winner, despite its cheap look and over-the-top violence...but it's all a personal taste matter.

If noted above is enough for you to jump into mad Benny's world, be prepared...Benny levitates. Like, seriously, he does. The problem is the movie doesn't really have a top-notch CGI, so Benny's feet do not touch the ground when he walks, which kinda looks a bit wierd. Also some parts of the final battle in the house, considering that they were almost completely made using computer, appear to look too catoonish and cheap. But then follows a crucial slow-more scene with jumping through the window and the shootout with the police which absolutely carried me away. So amends were made.

In short, "Benny loves you" is a typical guilty pleasure for black comedy fiends. It would be odd to recommend it to someone with no specific taste for that kinda thing. All because the movie is completely bananas and unprepared viewers will bulge their eyes and probably report you, so you risk to end up in a mental house) Not a bad acting, good chemestry between two leads (classic looser and classic not-a-lady-lady). Suporting cast does a good job too, some characters are more memorable and likable than others. Hillarios openning scene with a bear(hillarios as long as it gets brutal). And of course...Benny) P. S. There's an after credit scene P. S. S.

-Say "Okey dokey" -Oookey doookey!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childs Play, Shaun Of The Dead meets Demonic Toys
didactofdeath24 October 2020
Saw Benny Loves You at Frightfest's Halloween event and I was very impressed at how much fun and creativity can be found in this little low budget gem. Jack is on tough times, after the loss of his parent's, getting rejected for a promotion, now living alone and struggling to pay the rent, Jack decides to throw away some of his childhood toys. One of which is a teddy named " Benny ". looking like something you'd see in Sesame street. Benny doesn't take too kindly to this act and now comes alive.

Benny make's his life harder by killing anyone that come's near Jack, which is where most of the fun come's from in this flick. The humour is both silly and slapstick at times, with plenty of gore on show. The movie can be best described as Childs Play, Shaun Of the Dead and Demoic Toys thrown into a blender. A highly recommeneded film, perfect for anyone that's a fan of Dolly Dearest or The Puppet Master series. Plus extra props for Childs Play, Evil Dead and Terminator References.
15 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why?
pitrtoth-327034 April 2021
Director: Karl Holt, Writer: Karl Holt, Stars: Karl Holt, Cinematographer: Karl Holt, Editor: Karl Holt. ...enough said.
17 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misleading reviews
smadcore8 April 2021
Not the worst thing in the world but certainly flawed. I get the feeling the writer/director took a lot of cues from the Cornetto trilogy and Spaced, which are right up my alley, but couldn't quite execute them properly. The acting got pretty bad at times but that isn't necessarily enough to ruin a movie of this genre. The effects were....fine, taking into account the low budget, but also remember a cgi stuffed animal isn't exactly mind-blowing in this day and age. Some may get a kick out of this, but all the 10/10's? If you genuinely believe this is a perfect movie I feel sorry for you.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We Love Benny!
ariettamoon6 November 2020
We watched this as part of the FrightFest 2020 digital festival and we loved every gory minute of it! I loved the jokes and the kills and little Benny himself was just too cute! I mean, yes he's a murderous toy, but how could you not love that little chap?? Surprisingly high quality effects considering the budget too I just can't wait for this to get a wider release so I can share the love with everyone else!
14 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best psycho killer teddybear bloodbath movie ever
graemer-0490524 October 2020
Just watched Benny Loves You at Frightfest and it jumps straight into, not only the best film of the festival, but one of the best movies of the year for me. Jack's life is falling apart. His parents die in a terrible birthday cake accident and he is about to lose a promotion at work to his arch rival, Richard. In an attempt to turn things around, Jack throws put all of his old childhood toys. One of the toys, his teddybear, Benny, does not take this well and springs to life, gleefully slaughtering anyone and anything that could come between him and Jack.

Benny Loves You starts as it means to go on, with one of the best opening scenes in recent memory, and things just get funnier and more violent from there.

Don't miss this. It's one of the funniest, goriest horror comedies in years.
18 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny & fluffy
Guggenheim8224 May 2021
Great fun with one of the fluffiest killers in Film history! There are quite a few movies with murdering toys, but most of them are pretty trashy. Even BENNY LOVES YOU has had visibly low budget, Karl Holt has worked with so much love on his "baby" that the spark jumps over to the viewer. Great job!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cuddle up with your new favourite murder toy
A_Llama_Drama20 April 2021
Benny is the beloved toy of perpetual manchild, Jack. Turning 35, still living at home with the parents and sleeping with a plushy, he's got nothing going for him but surprise birthday parties.

After his job at a toy manufacturer is threatened, he resolves to improve his life and grow up. But all that co-dependency with a red plushy won't go quietly, and Benny has a lot of love to give. Benny also loves a bit of murder. What follows is a madcap farce and send up of the "toys as best friend" genre.

This movie is fun. It's daft. It's gory. It's also oddly touching. Despite the fact that Benny is just a toy, who has about five phrases in his voice box, he feels like a real, lovesick pet and watching him try to connect with Jack is just as entertaining as watching him pour boiling water over an unwanted house guest, or axe a French pug.

It's also wildly inventive and the ending is, well, forget King Kong Vs Gozilla, Benny vs A. I. D. S is the monster bash up of the century. There's so much to love and wonder at, and equally be repulsed at: ever wondered what would happen if a state of the art murder robot got its shiny hands on a vacuum cleaner? Wonder no more.

Writer, director and star, Karl Holt, blends modern British humour with the best of Hammer Horror and Carry On. Tonally, its a bit of a mess, and it drags a bit in the middle, but there are so many ideas, and the cast is all game for it, that it's impossible not to fall in love with Benny.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A warm and fuzzy chucky!
rainbowbrizite13 June 2021
Blast of a movie. Funny, silly and dark great flick, absolutely worth a watch 👍
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.