Dark Beacon (2017) Poster

(2017)

Pointless and aimless
chuckm7620 November 2018
Atrocious in every way but especially the acting. A pointless endeavour with barely a story or plot to hold it together.

How can a 1hr 15m film drag so much, that's an achievement in itself.

Terrible
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was just so horribly boring and mundane...
paul_haakonsen17 December 2018
I found this movie by sheer random luck. I hadn't heard about it, nor did I know what it was about. I assumed it was a horror movie, from what I read on the synopsis.

Turned out that I was in for a very long ordeal of a movie that had a very shallow and pointless storyline at heart. This movie was boring. Yeah, that is being bluntly honest, but it was. It was gut wrenchingly boring and so very little happened throughout the course of the entire movie, and even less so happened of any interest or worth.

It was a tough ordeal to suffer through "Dark Beacon", but I endured it. I did so in the hopes of the movie picking up and becoming better. That just never happened and now I am missing about an hour and a half from my life.

I will say that there are some nice scenic shots in the movie, and the camera-work is actually quite good. But those things alone or put together hardly makes for an entertaining movie.

The characters in the movie were mundane, one-dimensional and could essentially just as easily had been replaced by cardboard cutouts. The dialogue was adequate, although it didn't really matter much as the characters portrayed in the movie were pointless. And the cast included a very few members, so there was a lot riding on the back of the actresses performing here, just a shame that they were restricted by script, storyline and characters.

"Dark Beacon" was not entertaining in any real sense, and this is definitely not a movie that I would recommend that you take the time, effort or spend money on watching. Nor is it the type of movie that can sustain more than a single viewing, as it hardly couple manage to sustain even that very first viewing.

This movie should be avoided, unless you absolutely have nothing else to watch at hand.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lesbian Ghost Story?
Old_School_Gamer19 December 2019
Funny how they can't use the word "lesbian" in the description of the movie and replace it with "paramour" - odd.

Anyway, this movie took 1.25 hours of my life that I will never get back. Horrible acting. Dumb plot.

Run for your life.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Beacon
nickbates-912603 May 2018
Dark Beacon is a beautifully shot, well acted movie. It is also a slow and slightly boring movie. It could have been so much better, unfortunately. It just felt very generic apart from the scenery which was beautiful. Very mediocre, and I do wish I hadn't paid to see it. I had been trying to decide wether or not to watch after seeing the trailer and thinking it had potential. I was swayed by the other positive reviews here. Would I recommend it? No. Would i recommend you pay to watch it? No. But if you need an unoriginal movie to fill the time, this ones not too bad.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bad acting and directing..!
tamer_oci19 December 2019
Unfortunately .. totally waste of time! ... it's obvious a low budget movie .. nothing at all to expect from it .. avoid at all costs..
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic psychological ghost story
This on one of those suspense/horror movies that divides people into two camps, because the pacing is slow, it relies on atmosphere and tension instead of jump scare and gore, and it leaves you with more questions than answers.

Many of the reviews of this film I have read are in the "boring and confusing" camp. I am in the other. To me this is a slow burn ghost story in the classic tradition. The plot builds deliberately to a climax, with little revelations along the way that put some of the pieces of the puzzle together. As the plot develops, an atmosphere of tension and dread is built to a climax that ends the tension but doesn't provide all the answers. Is there something supernatural going on, or are we seeing people struggling with mental illness (and, in one case, alcoholism)?

My one knock is that the story is fairly routine in the psychological ghost story genre. If you've seen many similar movies, as I have, you're not going to see much that seems fresh, but there is still enough here in the plot, cinematography, and acting to make it well worth a watch.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Film
mlockhurst1 April 2018
Dark Beacon is a fantastic film which kept me engaged and interested the whole way through. For me, the location was unique, interesting and offered the feeling of seclusion which paired brilliantly with the story plot. I loved the twist at the end and the subtle effects used throughout the film. The acting and story line was good though I would of liked to see a little more sexual tension between the two female characters. For me, I almost wanted more urgency with them. Overall though thoroughly enjoyed this film and will definitely recommend it to friends and family
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Directing and cinematography is excellent
felixbolser23 April 2018
Absolutely loved this film, the scenery really elevates the feeling of seclusion. Lynne plays the role of a physiologically effected widow very well. Definitely worth seeing.
3 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.