Dumbo (2019) Poster

(2019)

They killed Dumbo
jiartigasc3 April 2019
This is one of the worst ever Disney's cinema movies. Completely souless this is a forced progressive, naive, PC remake. It does almost everything wrong, looks like Disney had a really innocent childish pc script and needed something to make it look a little darker, so why not just offer a ton of money to Burton? He does add a little darkness, but is so little that former Dumbo looks like a psychological thriller compared with this one. I think it is fair to say this is the worst Burton's movie ever, the only good things are Eva Green and Dany De Vito's acting. Do not waste your time nor your good child memories.
114 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who's running Disney?!
cunningham-421024 April 2019
Movie starts off good, looks good and Danny Devito is excellent. But again poor casting,poor acting, poor story and extreme amounts of superficial political correctness ruin what could of been a great movie.
123 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is Disney DEAD?
CapeTDL15 April 2019
I am done with these dumb live-action remakes! They have canned other animated films in the past when they could become great financial successors! I just miss the original 2D animated movies... 😢
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really depressing and disappointing
mabbott8311 April 2019
I was so excited about seeing this version but felt pretty depressed straight away as soon as they introduced Dumbos Mum laying on the floor. The only bit I truly loved was seeing Dumbo and Jumbo free in India.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Hideous Mess
naturenomad31 March 2019
Wow, talk about marketing deception, When i first saw the trailers for Dumbo I was wowed, the magic was there on the screen. However when I actually paid for a ticket to see this movie, I felt as though I had walked into another theater and was duped. This movie was a travesty from the get go. The kid actors were the absolute worst, they were SO ANNOYING. All the actors were miscast, you felt disconnected and there was no magic at all. By far one of the worst Disney remakes in history and one of the worst films of the year. AVOID AT ALL COST!
143 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bigger flop than Dumbo's ears
chelsea-blake1 April 2019
I grew up obsessed with Dumbo. I was so excited to take my nieces to see this and it was so boring and a huge disappointment. My oldest niece got scared and crawled on top of me a refused to watch it. My husband felt the movie took some political stances. It was overall a very full movie, the acting was subpar, and my poor nieces didn't even enjoy themselves.
116 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I be done seen 'bout everything now
fiddlersmom23 April 2019
Disney, what is wrong with you??? Who in the Sam Hill is picking your directors, actors, screenwriters, etc? Give them their walking papers so they can go back to their old jobs at Walmart. Take my advice and stay as far away from this disaster flick as possible. Rent or buy the 1941 original Dumbo.
74 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rubbish
jakhello1471 April 2019
No stalk, no drunk dumbo. Just a rubbish film. Terrible remake.
73 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Political, obvious and boring
lindsaybarrington31 March 2019
I accept the notion of an elephant flying more than the pretend political correctness of characters set in this time period. It's a condensed version of the original for 45 minutes, then what should have been a sequel. If they had given the original plot the time it needed, they would have made an amazing movie.

Why can't we just have a movie about a flying elephant? Why do we need a million unrelated agendas? There's no way to be invested in that many themes, so there's no connection with the characters. He can fly. He wants his mom. That's all you need.
140 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 stars just for Danny Devito
airelav-437-80247331 March 2019
Honestly, he was the only good thing about the film. Every single actor forgot they were actors, everything felt so fake and forced, there was no magic. I don't understand why Disney keeps making these remakes. Yes, they have amazing CGI, but they seem to forget the story they're trying to tell. I think this is the worst live-action remake they've done so far.
119 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't expect such snore fest from Tim Burton...
horror_bg20024 April 2019
We went to watch it, the whole family. Me, my wife, my daughter, and my mother in law. I was kinda ready for a not so good movie, but boy did I overestimated this joke! I almost fell asleep 3 times, my mother in law did, and my wife as well. My daughter played with the rest of the kids in the theater, playing hide and seek and tag. There was no single person in the full room who enjoyed it. Many people were napping, some were on their phones. The rest were bored to death. Nothing about this movie was enjoyable. The color palette was typical for Burton, washed down and bleak. The actors played like they had firing line pointed at them. Most of the characters were flat like an ironing board. No character development at all. Dany DeVito was really trying to have this circus going on, but the clowns were suicidal. The CGI was kinda goodish only during Pink Elephants on parade, the rest was made with pocket money budget. Unfortunately no feather is able to lift this slob from the ground!

1 star is really generous in this case. IMDB should allow negative rating for "movies" like this....
65 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrific.
Disney owes me money for therapy bills. I left halfway through, and I feel like I forced myself to stay too long.
61 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A CGI Travesty with No Soul
mike_burz30 March 2019
I'll try to keep this simple. Disney should be ashamed. Tim Burton should be ashamed. The screenwriters should be ashamed. The actors should be ashamed. Most of all the visual effects supervisor should be ashamed.

The visual effects were third rate. I cannot begin to express how awful and unrealistic they are. And this is the 21st century. The story was pointless-muddled as to who the narrative is about. In a cliche summary: this is two hours of my life I will not get back. I hope I will have saved you that.
85 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Flight Gone Awry.
merelyaninnuendo1 April 2019
Dumbo

Burton's live action Disney take on an emotionally driven circus act is profoundly dull. Probably, this has always been the risk that Tim Burton's (the director) sketchy cartoonish world comes with. Even looking at his previous projects, you can easily say that each of the visual galores could have gone wrong. But it is that fine analysation of emotion that Burton personifies on a screen with one dimensional characters; that makes it, against all odds, much better. So when you hear about the collaboration of Burton and Disney, you would think that it is a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, you are going to lose that bet, for carrying out such a wallop of drama, he has decided to surf above it, in fact hover around it, but will not and does not get his hand dirty.

There is no string attached to the storytelling, no thread to link them all, ironically in a concept where everyone is rooting for one innocent character. You feel physically distant with this world, not when it tries to brag about its cookiness but when expresses the humane qualities. Although, for a brief period, it does get your feet taping in rhythm, but the credit goes to the "teamwork" theme that Disney has been endorsing since ages.

The performance is decent coming from Danny DeVito as a goofy manager and Nico Parker as a sweet host of the storyline. And on the other hand, major contenders like Colin Farrell as an over brooding post war hero, Eva Green as the dame and Michael Keaton as a stereotypical evil billionaire fails to make our heart pump fast. Dumbo is not the example to put on a table full of love letters to Disney films, what humanized the animated version in the early 40s, is alienated vigorously by shattering our childhood memories.
45 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A politically correct mess with nothing to say
jacktheraperx5 April 2019
This film should be catalogued as animal cruelty for what Tim Burton did to poor Dumbo.

This must be the worst Disney film I've ever seen and it's an insult to the surreal vision of love and triumph over overwhelming odds that was the original. How can it be that the animated version is far more mature and intelligent than the live action one?

How can my intelligence feel so insulted by a movie with absolutely no heart and no brain to a point that when I feel compelled to tell people to avoid this like the plague? The movie doesn't make up its mind about what it wants to say or what it wants to be. Is it a critic to Disney buying small (and huge) properties? Does it want to send a "family" message? Does it want to say that doesn't matter how you are born (big ears), what you like (science) or what happened to you (losing an arm) it's ok because it's you who matters? No, it doesn't dwell on any of it because god forgive we give the children something to actually think about and have 2 or 3 upset moms feel offended that a movie told their children to be strong in the face of adversity.

No, the biggest intelligible lesson from this film is "when in doubt snort something" which is a really questionable choice for a film that tries to be as politically correct as possible. I prefer the crows teaching me and Dumbo to believe in yourself even when you lost your mom and and the world seems to be against you.

There was a reason why the original was a hit and has become a classic even despite its period derived racism which as a non white I have to say never saw the racism in.

Oh yeah, that's another thing, you really wanted to correct the so called "racism" from the original? Why not make the family that gets Dumbo through the rough stuff positive black role models?

Only positive thing about it? Dumbo looks really cute.

This movie is junk food and I don't want my money back. I want my two hours of life back.

How dare you sirs? How dare you....
41 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie made for dumbos
jakejirou31 March 2019
Another crass remake made by Tim Burton, Dumbo fails to deliver hardly anything good to write home about (aside from Danny Devito's performance). It follows the trope-heavy screenplay of "the kids are always right, adults are wrong" that just makes you want to sigh constantly. The "bad" guys are obvious from the very moment they are introduced and don't actually get revealed as bad until further in the movie, which normally wouldn't be bad in a Disney movie since they are meant to be carried by the musicals and animation, however this doesn't work for Dumbo at all since there are no musical numbers and the villains are revealed in a painstakingly obvious way. Since this is an adaptation of the 1941 film by Walt, it's fair to draw comparisons despite being very different films. First off is time. Dumbo 1941 was able to tell a very simple story about an elephant that finds out it can fly in an hour and four minutes, and much of this time was taken up by the musical numbers. Those musical numbers are what made the film a classic, not the story. The actual story of Dumbo is simple, it doesn't meander on the fact that the elephant can fly and keep writing story after the elephant flies because it risks losing the wonder and amazement of the spectacle. Dumbo 2019 however takes the approach of introducing the flying elephant very early in the film and follows a poorly written trope-heavy screenplay about the utilization and conflict over the flying elephant. The biggest offenders for myself were Burton's rendition of Pink Elephants, which is only a minor callback in this film and lacks nearly all the iconic elements which made "Pink Elephants on Parade" a cinematic spectacle with the original Dumbo. "Baby Mine" had a fairly good rendition, not great, but it was one of the better parts. Also included was a reference to the Crows' song, however it was only a joking reference which is like pouring salt on the wounds of a person like myself who wanted to see well done renditions of the classic film. The film is also very dark, with generally hazy skies and dark lighting, the average Tim Burton style. It fits the screenplay but as a whole I despised that stylistic choice with a Disney movie about a flying elephant. Aside from watching Danny Devito sing Casey Jr. this movie is a skip. I nearly walked out of the theater after Pink Elephants crushed my spirits but hoped for a good musical rendition after the credits rolled (adding onto my disappointment as there was none). Just go watch the original Dumbo, save an extra 50 minutes wasted on a meandering screenplay, and forget that Tim Burton ruined another remake.
92 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remake it, don't rewrite it
jjones9291 April 2019
This was an embarrassing remake of Dumbo. First, the hue or color tone of the movie was so unnatural, almost campy, like I had stumbled into a showing of Batman and Robin. It distracted me constantly reminding me that I was at the movies watching actors instead of being part of a story. Secondly, the young female actress did not help that situation at all. She presence was very distracting. Her acting was wooden and unbelievable. She was a carny's kid, living in a circus in 1919 but in every scene, she looked like she had just gotten out of the shower. It was hard to watch. Finally, who is green lighting these Disney's screenplays? Fire all of them! This movie was called Dumbo but it was about so many other things the elephant and the real story that was told in the original was lost or buried. I was looking forward to these remakes but if they continue to rewrite them I will pass on the rest.
89 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When I See An Elephant Fly With The Big Ears ( Score 9.0/10 ⭐ )
ymyuseda28 March 2019
This is a lovely film that deserves to be discovered by each generation. Best acting performance of every characters in this film. Everybody should jump aboard experience the circus with DUMBO. No matter how old you are, you just might get something out of it. Not all of it's pretty, but it's always cute and ultimately very funny. I love you DUMBO !!
264 out of 456 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Play up the villians, down play Dumbo
DosLenyos6 April 2019
Don't go see this lest you want to be called a dumbo. Totally re-written from the original just to pander to liberal sensibilities which include portraying the little carny girl as a brilliant up and coming dreamer who someday will grow up to be a scientist. Yes, a scientist! Oh brother. And yet her little brother tags along everywhere she goes mindlessly living moment-to-moment with no aspirations whatsoever. Ah how cute, typical toxic male characteristics. Then there is the super-evil corporate giant who wants to own it all, yet at the cost of destroying everything. Enough already with the nonsense. Yes we get it, we all should hate business enterprise and greed because ultimately they will destroy the earth and put us all in chains - at least what's left of us.

Except for one Danny DeVito the cast just stumbles through the whole mess. They all look like the overly starched shirts of the times. They deliver their lines as if they're suffering from bad hangovers.

Disney really needs to get back on track. They cannot even take a simple sweet story which really tugs at your heartstrings without turning it into a bloated liberal manifesto. Hey, the name Dumbo is already taken, so don't go see this movie.
38 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved TIm Burton once, but he's lost his mojo.
pinkfreudbluemahler30 March 2019
Producers need to quit giving him money. He not only plays it safe (he even waters down the original) , but there's no real energy . Unlike the original, this is no classic.
83 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Razzies award look no futher
GrannyShagger31 March 2019
2019/20 No.1 Razzie award. A total lack of emotions comes through. Aspect ratio deceiving, if you expect sudden brilliance.
79 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
brammabull2530 March 2019
I was so looking forward to this movie. I wanted to love it so much but just couldn't. Really bad job done with this one.
77 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor Dumbo
missyjroy-3619717 April 2019
Dumbo himself was very cute with his big long floppy ears. That's the best thing I can say about this movie. 90% of it was very dark. I hated all the adults - I even didn't like the father - and didn't like the way they treated the animals. What's wrong with you Disney? How could you screw up a sweet story about Dumbo?
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looks great but filled with unnecessary characters and story
mbeggens1 April 2019
My girlfriend and I went to see this movie and came out disappointed. I've watched the original Dumbo cartoon a lot when I was a child, and remember it to be dark and very sad but with a happy ending.

Watching this movie I did not feel that emotion at all. Kind of like to how the children in this movie act. There was no emotional connection between the children and little baby elephant with huge ears. The only look the little girl could do was smile, look pretty and have a fake tear on her cheek.

As a circus with (fake) freaks they would have been blessed to have a real baby elephant with those big ears, and the audience would have loved everything about it. I understand the original cartoon they also laugh at Dumbo, but that's because he is very clumsy with those big ears.

They way the script has been written to make Dumbo unwanted just does not work. I really miss the mouse Timothy. The children are not a good replacement because of the bad acting.

The first 45 minutes of the movie consists of the original story of the cartoon and I expected to see the end credits roll, and that would have been fine. But then the movie drags on with the story making it over the top and laughable.

Like when the woman starts to ride Dumbo looks really silly. My girlfriend and I looked at each other and just started laughing. Michael Keaton is trying to perform a role as bad guy, but he turns out being just stupid when he starts smashing the power station of his circus destroying everything he owns.

Also to see Dumbo gets risen up to perform his flying trick for like 4 times in a row got really boring at the end. We've seen him fly multiple times allready! And why does Dumbo have to snort up this feather like it's his drug or something. In the cartoon he just holds the feather, not snort it.

A lot of bad decisions made this movie a big mess. Dumbo looks cute though.
63 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avoid this depressing dark tale
jenniferscottgb11 April 2019
Ruined my 10 year old's birthday by taking her to this depressing dark story. There is one joke and 2 minutes of light over a 90 minute tale.

Not uninteresting. Just really tough going

Not appropriate for under 12's
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.