Only the Brave (2017) Poster

A True Story Worth Experiencing
KJ Proulx19 October 2017
True stories are the one thing throughout the film industry that can't be known as being a dime a dozen because it seems as though almost half of the films nowadays are based on true events. Of that half, I'd say only about half of those stories are done with complete justice and care. So, it's really a toss-up when going into a film like this. With that said, Only the Brave is a fantastic presentation of these events and the men who risked their lives on a daily basis. Although it may feel a little slow at times, here is why I believe this is a film that's pretty much for everyone.

When you're trying to tell a possibly tragic story about people that may or may not have to give their lives in the wake of danger, it really does require some powerful and devoted performances in order to get the audience to emotionally respond to the events unfolding on-screen. From Josh Brolin to Miles Teller, to even Taylor Kitsch and Jennifer Connelly, I honestly thought this ensemble was one of the best of the entire year, with the standouts obviously being Brolin and Teller. Each and every one of the supporting roles gave their very best as well, making this a very believable and realistic team.

The premise of this film is relatively simple. A crew of firefighters is out to become the next crew of "Hot Shots," and they will do whatever it takes, which also entails hiring some fresh and willing talent. The film dives into their lives outside of work and really invests you in each one of their jobs. I was quite riveted throughout each one of the fires, and I loved how it didn't take it too seriously to the point of depression. With a nice blend of bickering and action, these characters were more fleshed out and likable than I was expecting them to be, which really added a level of intensity to the overall movie.

It really is the fact that this film has a terrific cast that really makes you feel for them when the climax occurs in the third act. I was not familiar with the events that occurred in real life, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the finale of this film. Although I feel there are some abrupt aspects about it, I feel as though it was handled with care and respected the families involved in the actual events. The final act of this movie is surprising in multiple ways and it did have me shedding a few tears by the time the credits started to roll.

In the end, Only the Brave is definitely a slow watch at times and its run time is slightly longer than the material needs it to be, but when it's slow it also takes its time to emotionally invest you in its characters, so it's sort of a catch-22. With terrific performances all around, direction that seems to be inspired, and sequences that will have you on the edge of your seat, this is a very well-made a memorable film that I can confidently say will be one of my favorites of this year. This movie is well-made in every regard and I highly recommend it to everyone.
62 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wild fire disaster movie packs an emotional wallop
Paul Allaer21 October 2017
"Only the Brave" (2017 release; 133 min.) brings the story if the Granite Mountain Hot Shots fire squad. As the movie opens, "Based on True Events" we are reminded, we get to know Eric Marsh and his gang, as they are trying to get certified as Hot Shots, allowing them to combat wild fires in the front line. We also get to know Brendan, a doped-out loser whose girlfriend just got pregnant. Realizing he needs to turn his life around, Brendan applies to join the fire squad and for reasons unknown until much later in the movie, Eric decides to give Brendan a shot. In a parallel story, we also get to know Eric;s wife Amanda, a horse whisperer. But not all is well in their marriage... At this point we are 15 min. into the movie but to tell you more of the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this is the latest movie from up-and-coming director Joseph Kosinski, who previously directed "Ton: Legacy" and "Oblivion". In his latest, he steers away from sci-fi and instead brings us the incredible story of the Prescott, AZ wild fire squad, nicknamed the Granite Mountain Hot Shots. I expected a disaster movie, and there is certainly that too, but the movie does much more than that: it brings the story of a group of people in a way that you are completely emotionally invested in those people, and you CARE. Kosinski directs an all-star cast, headed by Josh Brolin as Eric. Is it just me, but Brolin only seems to get better as he is getting older. That guy is just solid and authentic. Miles Teller plays the role of Brendan, an unlikable character at first. Jennifer Connelly is outstanding as Eric's wife Amanda. Taylor Kitsch is one of the guys in the fire squad. In much smaller roles, Jeff Bridges is Duane (Eric's superior), and the ageless Andie MacDowell plays Duane's wife. The movie's photography is eye-candy, and the wild fire scenes, which I imagine are mostly CGI, look very real to me. Last but not least, there is a very nice musical score, courtesy of composer Joseph Trapanese (who has worked with Kosinski before).

"Only the Brave" opened wide this weekend, and I was really looking forward to seeing it. The Friday evening screening where I saw this at here in Cincinnati was attended only so-so (less than half a fairly small theater), somewhat to my surprise, given the stellar critical acclaim this movie has been getting. I can only speak for myself, but I found this to be an outstanding wild fire disaster movie that packs an emotional wallop I didn't expect. I encourage you to check out "Only the Brave", be it in the theater, on VOD, or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray, and draw your own conclusion.
34 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A well-told movie about true events.
FilmReviewer83526 October 2017
Only the Brave is a movie directed by Joseph Kosinski and stars Josh Brolin, Miles Teller and Jeff Bridges. The movie is essentially a biography about the the rise of the Granite Mountain Hotshots and how they come together to put their entire lives at risk to protect their town from a dangerous wildfire.

This managed to be a very interesting movie that brings you in very quickly when the movie starts. It is very well acted from beginning to end with interesting characters and motives. It's interesting to see how the members of the Hotshots' lives have changed as the organization forms and grows big. The movie isn't fully character driven, fortunately. The movie does have a large focus on dealing with the area's large wildfires, which are also highly engaging. It's admittedly hard to critique the execution of certain scenes like the firefighting scenes in Only the Brave when it's based on true events. If I would like to point out an issue that I have with the movie, it's that I thought the story structure was a bit all over the place, but again, it's hard to properly critique a biography movie due to the fact that it is based on true events.

17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
WOW! Definitely an emotional roller coaster
spikesforchrist5419 October 2017
Having fought wild land fires in Bastrop, TX and being in similar situations as this movie depicted, it was definitely personally emotional.

I laughed, I cried, but at the end I but walked out speechless... The last 45 minutes of this film had me on the edge of my seat. The way all the characters have a special personal touch to them makes this film all more special! I wont spoil the movie, but bring a tissue box, the ending had me in all the feels!
52 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must see...
afatedcircle19 October 2017
Personally I found nothing wrong with this movie which is something I rarely say when I go to the theaters now days. The cast was great and really got you interested in the characters. It stayed mostly true to the actual story of these brave men whilst throwing in a little bit more drama and action to "Hollywood" it. The ending will have you shedding a tear even though we all knew what happens going into it. Was well worth the money spent and deserves a higher rating than critics have given it.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Team for the Ages
Thomas Drufke22 October 2017
There have only been a few movies in which the theater I was in went completely silent as the credits rolled. Only the Brave tells the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots who risked their lives to stop wildfires across the country. It's films like this that always move me the most. A group of people who you grow fond of during the course of a film band together in the most dangerous of circumstances for a common cause. When done right, they can be extremely powerful.

Directed by Joseph Kosinski and starring Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Connelly, and Taylor Kitsch among others; all of them do a great job of creating a chemistry and realness between each other. In order to feel anything when these men are entering the flames, there has to be real friendships and relationships built between the actors as these real life heroes. Perhaps more than anything else, Only the Brave completely nailed the bond between the team of hotshots.

Going along with the bonds they have with each other, the film focuses heavily on a few of the men's personal lives, which is where the real emotion lied for me. Jennifer Connelly had the biggest supporting role, as the wife of Brolin's character, but that was far from the only character's personal life I felt attached to. As much as this a tribute to the men on the team, it's also a great film to honor those lives who were affected by the team in any way shape or form.

Kosinski's directing, the team of writers, the ensemble of actors and actresses, and of course everyone else doing the dirty work should be commended for the work here. Only the Brave is a deeply moving film that never takes advantage of the fiery source material to bombastic results, instead only using it to honor the lives impacted. Truly one of the best films of the year.

9.4/10
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A gripping re-telling of history...
natalicoetzee7 November 2017
The story was compelling and gut-wrenching, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The finer sense of humour was tucked in nicely beside the bitter side of life. Real life at its best.

It is not often that I would recommend a 'based on real life' movie, but I would definitely commend Only the Brave.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unbelievably Good
jondmac22 October 2017
Superb acting with a story line that'll draw you in and really make you feel like you're part of the crew. Loved it. Can't believe someone would rate this poorly and call it cliché. It's based on a true story so I'm not sure how that's cliché. Either way - it's amazing and I'm glad they made the movie so the world can honor these brave heroes.
38 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ouch My Heart
Amthermandes21 October 2017
Not everybody has heard the true story this movie is based on. I went into this movie only based on what I saw in the trailer. Since it's nonfiction, I knew it wouldn't be your typical cookie-cutter type narrative, but I still expected it, and was blown away by the tragic events, and the extraordinary way it was presented on screen.

This is the story of a special group of trained firefighters in dealing specifically with forest/brush fires. Their primary goal is to save as much land and lives as possible, as well as homes, from massive fires. These men train for years and when they meet certain requirements, are given qualifications to be labeled as "Hotshots," which seems to be the equivalent of an actuary obtaining their Fellowship, or a boy scout achieving his Eagle Scout, or a junior varsity becoming varsity (or a varsity obtaining their Letter). Hotshots also literally fight fire with fire, opposed to regular firefighters who fight fire with water. This is based on an actual crew, their lives and relationships with each other and their families, along with the work they bear, the hardships they endure, and the fires they face.

The most efficient aspects of the film are the acting, storytelling, and cinematography. The movie focuses more on their lives and relationships than the actual firefighting, but it does contain a fair amount of action. Beautiful Arizona scenery surrounds the key players and their fellow crew members as they battle an only-slightly-predictable threat.

Only cons I have are ones I had to nit-pick. The film in an effort to reach out to a wider audience, should have toned down the profanity, which is heavy even for a modern PG-13 movie. A few of the relationship dramas/arguments seemed contrived, and while they did a great job explaining the countermeasures they take to battle the fires, there still is some confusion to their methods, and it would have been nice to know some of the other members of crew better.

Phenomenal film, however, and was a tremendous memorial to these men and women.

This isn't just a story about specific men and women in history who made sacrifices to protect one state, this is about all emergency responders. Just like how most stories about the military focus on certain groups and individuals, but remains a tribute to ALL who make a living from defending other people's lives and liberties.

God bless our emergency responders, as well as our military, police, city firefighters, paramedics, so forth.
37 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An intense emotional roller coaster film about the firefighters that battled the Yarnell Fire.
cruise0120 October 2017
Only the Brave is a great emotionally driven drama film about the Granite Mountain Hotshots firefighting crew that battled the Yarnell Hill fire. Well, the film is great. Director Joseph Kosinski did a great job in keeping up the pace from the intense fire battle sequences. Joseph Kosinski tackled the big budget visual effects flicks like Tron Legacy and Oblivion. Seeing him take on a smaller budget drama film was well handled.

The film follows Eric (Josh Brolin) who is trying to get a crew of firefighters together. He convinces the town mayor to help get them evaluated. He recruits a young pothead Donut (Miles Teller), who gets high all day and finds out his ex girlfriend is pregnant. Then, there is Eric's former crew of Jesse (James Badge Dale) and Chris (Taylor Kitsch). Donut is trying to take responsibility and wants to better himself by supporting his girlfriend by giving her baby supplies with the money he makes. Meanwhile, Eric's wife Amanda (Jennifer Connelly) has been struggling with their marriage, as she wants a family. But Eric is too focused on his fire crew and away all the time battling fires. But the event that will test them is when a wildfire in Yarnell storms out of control.

It is a great film. Yes, if you know the story you will know how it will end. But the build up with every character that are so distinct from each other. Seeing them bond and form a family friendship is what hits really hard with the film. You see rivals form a brotherhood friendship. Characters making a life changing decisions to better themselves. The character development is well done in the film. The plot is one of those inspirational stories of seeing these heroic firefighters crew battling through hell with these wildfires. They are like the brute force that goes in with only certain amount of gear with their chainsaws, digging tools, and their safety gear.

It has a huge cast ensemble. I am sure, there are familiar faces with the fire crew and some that wont have enough screen time. Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, James Badge Dale, Taylor Kitsch, and Jennifer Connelly all did great.

The director managed to keep the intensity on the fire sequences. When the climax arrives. The ending does become a little emotionally difficult to watch. But it does pay a great tribute to the hardworking firefighters that battled the Yarnell fire and all the firefighters around the world.

Overall, Only the Brave is a great drama action film. The cast ensemble was great. The plot and characters were great and inspirational. It was never slow or boring. The direction was great as it captured the intensity of these fire crew battling with the wildfires.

I rate the film 5 out of 5 stars. I definitely recommend seeing the film on the big screen.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Super depiction of actual fire fighting.
jdesando19 October 2017
"If this isn't the greatest job in the world, I don't know what is!" Eric Marsh (Josh Brolin)

True to its title, Only the Brave depicts with authentic-seeming imitation, the hell of fire encountered in numerous fire fights, the most famous being the 2013 Yarnell Hill fire in which 19 firefighters died. When Director Joseph Kosinski, an expert in action filming, dramatizes the rigorous routine of the fighters, with the help of first-rate CGI, you seem to be right there in the midst of the flames.

Like many films about war, this docudrama takes pains to reveal the domestic tensions with wives waiting for fighters or to become pregnant or to take care of the children. All of this is to say, one could become impatient with the non-essential melodrama as the real interest is in the mechanics of fighting.

Of course, some domestic story is necessary to humanize the heroic firefighters. However, this film seems to take too much time fleshing out the details of loves and family that take second place to the fires. It's the Granite Mountain Hot Shots, from Prescott, Arizona, who are the stars as they fight heroically without complaint.

Given the current fires raging in California, Only the Brave is timely if nothing else. It will help put into perspective the danger and valor of the firefighters; it will also dwell unnecessarily on the non firefighting.

All but one of the Granite Mountain Hot Shots do not come home from the Yarnell fire. We are better able because of this film to appreciate the danger of their jobs and the longing of their families. If you want an up close look at how these heroes fight fires, this is the film for you. Certifiable heroes they are.

"I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." Kurt Vonnegut
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brimming with heart, spirit and emotion, this character-driven portrait of real-life bravery is a deeply moving tribute to its ordinary heroes
moviexclusive20 October 2017
The elite group of firefighters known as the Granite Mountain Hotshots came into national prominence because all but one of them perished in the deadly Yarnell Hill Fire of June 2013, thus marking the highest death toll for US firefighters since 9/11. But this portrait of a fraternity of men who risk their lives day-in and day- out containing fast-spreading wildfires is much, much more than just that fateful incident alone. Oh no, as adapted for the screen from a harrowing GQ article by Ken Nolan ('Black Hawk Down') and Eric Warren Singer ('American Hustle'), it is a celebration of ordinary, sometimes- flawed men doing extraordinary things that pays homage to their indomitable courage and self-sacrifice, but never does turn reverent to the point of idolatry. These are men with real struggles and issues of their own, and in portraying these alongside their heroism, this well-rounded tribute becomes all the more compelling and poignant.

When we first meet these firefighters, they are no more than a municipal squad doing Type II fire mitigation duty, viz. clearing brush and burning firelines relatively far from the danger itself. That diminished status is a sore point for their superintendent Eric Marsh (Josh Brolin), who implores the division chief and close confidant Duane Steinbrink (Jeff Bridges) to get them certified as 'hotshots'. That journey to cherished Type I status will see Eric recruit a bunch of newbies to augment their numbers, including the local screw-up Brendan McDonough (Miles Teller) looking for a chance to straighten his life out – not only will Eric have to ensure that Eric does not end up becoming their Achilles heel, he will also have to manage the dynamics between Brendan and fellow hot-blooded member Chris MacKenzie (Taylor Kitsch). Thus sets the stage for a good number of scenes which show how the men train – committing rules to memory, conducting deploy drills and creating control burns – which will pay off in unexpected ways in giving context of what the men will be doing in the heat of duty.

That they will be recognised as top-tier firemen is no surprise, but it is how the relationships between these men evolve that is truly engaging to watch. There is plenty of camaraderie to go around, built up over months of training together and fighting fire alongside each other, such that Brendan and Chris will just overcome their initial enmity but become best buddies in a way that feels completely authentic. Due focus is also given to the families of these men, in particular Eric's fierce but loving relationship with his strong- willed wife Amanda (Jennifer Connelly) as well as Brendan's strained relationship with the girl whom he got pregnant and their baby daughter. In fact, the film is as much homage to the men as it is honouring their wives and children who endure long stretches of their absence and persistent anxiety over their safety and wellbeing. Deserving of special mention are the emotionally charged scenes between Eric and Amanda, which not only portray the complexities of being in a marriage with someone so consumed by a profession that may one day claim his very life, but also later on underline the unavoidably profound grief felt by his subsequent demise.

Just as he does with the characters, director Joseph Kosinski keeps the firefighting footage real and authentic. Unlike other such genre films, there is no attempt to inflate or sensationalise the scale and intensity of these conflagrations; instead, each one is approached by the crew in an almost routine fashion – a call for help, a long ride out in their vehicles where they sing songs and trade jokes, and an equanimity on the ground borne out of skill, confidence and professionalism – much in the way that any one of us would our day- to-day work, with the notable distinction of course being how extremely dangerous each one of these missions is. Combining actual fire, special effects and CGI, the five different blazes we see on screen showcase the stunning and terrible beauty of fire, each one magnificently captured by Oscar-winning cinematographer Claudio Miranda.

But more than the visual spectacle of the blazes is the brotherhood of the unit, the bonds between the men forged over sweat and soot. It is their camaraderie, their true-to-life challenges and their bravery, determination and perseverance that will stay with you long after the lights come on. Each one of the actors that make up the stellar acting ensemble portraying these real-life heroes puts in some of his or her best work we have seen, no more so than Brolin, who anchors the film as the strong-willed leader with dignity, gravitas and pathos. You'll already know right from the start that there is no happy ending for these men, not even the only one among them who survives out of pure luck and is therefore saddled with a profound sense of guilt, but their eventual fate still hits you like a blast. This is as befitting a homage as it gets to these ordinary men, deeply moving, immensely affecting and thoroughly realistic.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Towering Inferno meets The Tree of Life
rbrb13 November 2017
"Based on the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a group of elite firefighters who risk everything to protect a town from a historic wildfire."

First rate intense performances with few exceptions from all the main players.

This is a gut-wrenching yet compelling drama.

As the concluding credits are about to start the roll call at the end reveals the real bravery of those being portrayed:

9/10.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A riveting and different movie about real heroes
phd_travel19 October 2017
With the recent fires in Napa & Sonoma this movie is even more involving and relevant. It's well made and filmed. And the story is firstly interesting then exciting and tragic. It doesn't feel like it is over 2 hours long.

There have been many movies about fighting fires in buildings in cities but not many about tackling wildfires in the country side. What is different to see is they actually stop fires by controlled burning. and use portable bags as fire shelters. There is quite a lot of back story about some of the characters mainly Josh Brolin the head of the unit and his quest to get the team certified Hotshot. His lovely wife played by the mesmerizing Jennifer Connelly. Sometimes she is so slim on the horse she looks like she is in a photo shoot. Glad they gave her a large role. Miles Teller's character as a reformed drug addict also has a pretty wife played by Natalie Hall. Miles is quite different looking here and acts well. Taylor Kitsch is the comic relief. Could have done with a some more background about the others in the team though.

There are a couple of small faults. The words on screen to show the locations was in small white letters and hard to discern. The dialog wasn't always easy to make out. Some of the accents were a bit thick. Jeff Bridges always had sketchy diction. There isn't too much lingering on the tragic deaths but would have been better with a bit more shown about how they got actually got trapped. The part about getting certified as hotshots could have been swapped for more of this.

The reaction of loved ones is handled in a straightforward way.

It's good to see a movie about heroes that are just pure heroes without any question mark of war or politics hanging over their actions. One of the better movies about firefighting.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Portrayal of Real Life Heroes based on a True Story
svhot19 October 2017
"Only the Brave" conveys the true story of the heroic firefighters from Arizona, known as the Granite Mountain Hotshots. This movie is definitely relevant and timely, considering the recent disastrous fires in California. I know that there have been other movies based on firefighting stories, but none of them have tackled the issue of fighting and controlling a wildfire in the countryside. "Only the Brave" does that, which makes it so special and outstanding.

Josh Brolin plays the role of the team leader of this brave group of firefighters. Mr Brolin has definitely given one of the finest, and perhaps one of the best performances of his career in this movie. Apart from him, there is the legendary Jeff Bridges ("The Dude") to add to the star value of this flick. The rest of the star-cast have also given commendable performances.

The director, Mr Kosinski , has done an excellent job to depict this true story of firefighters on screen. He has delved quite deeply into the mechanics of firefighting, and viewers will definitely appreciate and give more respect to firefighters after watching this movie. I would love to become a story-screenplay writer for movies because intriguing stories keep developing in my mind all the time. Employers can contact me at svhot34@gmail.com
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Only The Brave is the Movie to be Seen
willistamp22 October 2017
Opening night, 1055 p.m I went to see the only movie I wanted to see, Only The Brave, To all who sacrifice their lives, to do what they need to do, you have greatest gratitude, and thanks, Only the Brave gave that to me and possible all of us, It's a must see film to all who feel that kind of thoughts. An Academy performance by all.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best
tonsojunk66621 October 2017
This movie will haunt you hours after you see it. While you will certainly be emotionally moved by this movie, it will affect you more to realize that this was a true event. Well done Hollywood. Its nice to finally see a well filmed well acted movie. The core elements of the story are true, and the characters are real. And of course the final event was exactly as it happened as best as anyone can determine. All of the actors should be commended. Not a weak one in the bunch.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Only the Brave is a tribute to these brave men
hollywoodhernandez-7086819 October 2017
Only the Brave is another movie that is based on a true story. This one tells the tale of the brave volunteer firefighters known as The Granite Mountain Hotshots, who risk their lives to protect their remote community.

Josh Brolin (No Country For Old Men) stars are Fire Chief Eric Marsh, a grizzly old man who loves both his job and his men. Miles Teller (Whiplash) is the young new recruit who finds the support he needs in the tight fraternity of firemen. Jennifer Connelly plays Teller's wife, Amanda, who keeps the home fires burning while her husband is out putting fires out.

Only the Brave does an excellent job of showing the danger that the volunteers have to endure and it also shows the bond between the tight group of men who put their lives on the line each day. The movie also goes out of its way to show the stress that the job puts on the men's home life.

The movie is based on an actual incident where 19 firefighters lost their lives defending their small town against a wildfire. Director Joseph Kosinski, who's directed a couple of Tom Cruise's action films, puts you at ground zero of the raging wildfire and, using CGI effects, gives you the incredibly scary feeling that the men must have faced while running to the raging fire instead of away from it. That is an amazing feat of courage.

The movie has many quotable lines. My favorite among them was, "We don't see things as they are; we see things the way that WE are." This movie is a fitting tribute to the brave men who died, from their perspective, doing what they were only thought was right, because it was their job.

Only the Brave runs a little over 2 hours and it's rated PG-13. On my "Hollywood Popcorn Scale" I rate this amazingly inspiring movie a JUMBO.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outstanding
jenstrohs2 December 2017
Gut wrenching and emotionally evocative account of friendship, loyalty, second chances, commitment, and conviction. This movie recounts the true story of a group of men who display "all the right stuff" about life. I loved this movie. Life is imperfect...and it is those who identify with these challenges and embrace the steps to move forward... who truly bring the perfection in life. A must watch.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Honourable tribute, but unmemorable film.
Troy_Campbell2 December 2017
Ostensibly to fire-fighting what Deepwater Horizon is to deep sea oil rigging, this ode to the heroic Granite Mountain Hotshots lightens the action load in favour of no-frills drama that simmers in the salt-of-the-earth Arizonian lifestyle. It's a bold move by director Joseph Kosinski, one that doesn't always pay off. For every scene that effectively portrays the dedication these men (and their families) had to one another, there's another scene in which the sentimentality skyrockets to unpalatable levels. A quiet moment at a work BBQ between lonesome rookie Donut (Miles Teller) and the popular Mac (Taylor Kitsch) highlights the sort of subtle, affecting film this can be; whilst an excruciatingly prolonged sequence with Jennifer Connelly tending to an injured horse demonstrates just how easily you can fall off that emotional tightrope. Although Kosinski admirably grounds the movie as a character study, he also fails to fully convey what this perilous occupation entails; a deeper exploration of the job's intricacies could have added a level of interest to match the heart. Considering they're real life people it's uncanny how these men fit into cinematic stereotypes—the grizzled vet, the joker, the playboy, the one who always reads his bible, etc—yet the talented ensemble cast adds profundity, not least Josh Brolin as team leader Eric Marsh. Brolin portrays Marsh like a near-mythical figure, an expert that not only understands the science behind wildfires, but senses the pulse of a fire as if they were linked by an unseen connection. It teeters on absurdity, but Brolin is good enough to keep it from tipping over. Visually stunning and wonderfully acted, but lacking the necessary control over the romanticism of its topic, Only the Brave is a honourable tribute but an unmemorable film.
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a must see. everyone in the theater applauded in the end
Bo21 October 2017
Very touching story. These people are real heroes. They are brave not only on fighting fires but also fighting drugs. It's amazing that Brendon picked up his life. That is responsibility! That is MAN! Keep up Brendon! I really appreciate that director Joseph have given everyone a chance to know those heroes.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You can't not see it.
Stewball22 October 2017
I dreaded going to see this but I couldn't not. It's one of those movies you feel you need to see to get a dose of historic reality, like "Schindler's List, "United 93" or "World Trade Center", so that you understand better what happened, and remember. But for me at least, it's only the once. The reality of it is incredibly evident.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Movie I've Seen this Year
characters-132-6637751 November 2017
For me, a movie is mostly about escapism. I see a movie to forget about a bad day at work or global turmoil. If I can learn something in a move, all the better. This movie achieved both for me. Being from Nevada, I was familiar with the tragedy and I have visited Prescott several times, so I was eager to watch the movie. What I didn't expect was the fine acting in the film. Brolin really played his part well and the other characters are certainly those you will begin to care about and relate to. This movie was not about fighting fires it was about brotherhood and courage. I learned that confronting a fire is similar to being in a war zone and the comradery among the men just as strong. It's a seriously emotional experience, but worth every one of the 134 minutes. See it.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Fitting Tribute
Carl Schultz22 October 2017
A "hotshot" is a firefighter whose specialty is working the front lines of a forest fire. And the new motion picture "Only the Brave" is about the Granite Mountain Hotshots, an elite crew of forest firefighters from Prescott, Arizona who established a remarkable record of success in their specialty but collided with fate and tragedy during Arizona's Yarnell Hill Fire in June of 2013.

Written by Ken Nolan and Eric Warren Singer and directed by Joseph Kosinski, "Only the Brave" is one biographical picture which doesn't gild the lily, or idealize the subject of the drama.

The firefighters depicted in the movie are human, and have flaws and weaknesses: Three of the leading characters are recovering substance abusers, and some of the picture's best acting is screamed between actors Josh Brolin and Jennifer Connelly, playing the Hotshots' commanding officer and his spirited and independent wife.

If you're unfamiliar with the story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, "Only the Brave" is a genuinely effective real-life adventure picture which does justice to not only that famed battalion but also to firefighters and emergency responders everywhere.

And even if you already know the story, the picture works as a tribute to the people who place themselves between us and danger, and the families who support them.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A story that needed to be told
dhakimian1 November 2017
I don't usually think about firefighters or the other service people who are tasked with keeping us safe. This movie brought them into my life and into my heart. It is unsentimental, almost unreal, almost documentary. I hadn't read anything about the story and so I had no idea where they were going with it so I allowed myself to become completely engaged with the characters, with their lives.

I suggest you watch it without reading anything...Let yourself hear the story in beautiful fashion how it unfolded. Respect and learn
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this