Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) Poster

1,187 Reviews
How a Company Should Treat its Customers!
mamba_king13 February 2020
When I saw the original trailer I was genuinely horrified in Sonic's design, like a person in bad cosplay. After the redesign many like myself felt the need to support this movie to honour the fan service and genuine care. I'm sure glad that I did. A funny movie, Jim Carrey was amazing like always and of course Sonic looked great. A very fun movie for the whole family.
618 out of 723 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm giving it an extra star because they redesigned sonic
jennifercasco16 February 2020
Honestly this was a movie I was never really planning to see. I thought it was another cash grab at our nostalgia. But when the initial trailer came out with the original sonic, I partook in the hilarious and frightening memes and joined in on the criticism. When I found out that they were redesigning Sonic due to the backlash - I was shocked. I never thought a studio would listen to our voice, and oh was our voice heard.

So after I saw the second trailer I thought to myself, well, I guess I gotta go see it now. "Put your money where your mouth is." If the studio took the time to do this for us then I will gladly pay my money to see this.

And I'm glad I did. It's a fun movie. It's not perfect by any means, but it's an enjoyable film for the family. I love the new Sonic, I love the cast, Jim Carrey is spectacular as always. It was a fun movie from start to finish. And it was really entertaining. I love the voice character for Sonic too, I think he fit perfectly. I would've given it a 7/10 but like I mentioned before, an extra star for caring about the fans and the audience.
383 out of 460 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soooo much better then expected!
dutchcomputerkid10 March 2020
Definitely fun to watch, and with the new redesign it works very, very well! Recommended, hoping it does well enough in box office performance for a sequel. Would LOVE to see that happen!
147 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Movie
scaredschmidtless14 February 2020
It's not the next masterpiece of cinema, but I genuinely think it's an enjoyable watch if you don't go in expecting the stars.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I have a lot of other "Video-Game cash in movies" anyway. Yes, It's a genre that's been done a lot, but that doesn't make this film inherently bad.

It had some enjoyable moments in it.

I have immense amounts of respect for the crew who worked on this movie, due to how much the internet kicked up a storm and how they worked tirelessly to try re-jig the movie to make it work. That doesn't mean the movie is perfect, but the respect for the craft is there.

Long story short; It's not a perfect movie, but you can tell that effort was made in it's creation. Had some enjoyable moments and would definitely encourage people to watch.
142 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
omarfigueroafilms14 February 2020
Sonic definitely exceeded all my expectations. The film has excellent music, cinematography and acting, with an incredible battle between Dr. Eggman and Sonic. Jim Carrey is the king of comedy, he really made Dr. Eggman scary and dangerous. Don't listen to critics, it's great!
200 out of 278 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great funny family film
zenfultaco16 February 2020
This was funny, fast paced and family friendly. They have plenty of comedic moments and nods to the game franchise. Loved it. Gotta go fast.
264 out of 373 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Cant compare Azerbaijan with Afghanistan
feridsalmanov-1484314 September 2021
You Cant compare Azerbaijan with Afghanistan. The film was awful. Opinions and political statements were totally wrong.
51 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
False information and annoying
safarovafidanadiu14 September 2021
The movie is so annoying, moreover they give false information about Azerbaijan. They compare it with Afghanistan. + don't waste your time. I don't know why it is even on Netflix. It is Trash.
43 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake and untrue information
ememmedzade14 September 2021
Pentagon "leaders" are talking about Afganistan then they call Azerbaijan Azerbaijanistan and say it is not even a country. How dare they call name of 10 million citizens and their country's name false and they deny that isn't a country. Azerbaijan πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ώ is a ancient country with 10 million citizens. Azerbaijan is beautiful country with marvelous 69 regional cities which are multicultural and have mesmerizing nature. Americans also come and live here too. How dare these people deny its existence? Millions of people all around the world watch this movie and believe what these pentagon is saying. This is something serious. Filmmakers have to correct their mistakes!
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Azerbaijan is not Azerbaijanistan
zeynalovsuleyman14 September 2021
Azerbaijan is not Azerbaijanistan.

Azerbaijan is not Azerbaijanistan.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disaster
erusseyidzade14 September 2021
It's AZERBAIJAN not Azerbaijanistan. You can't spell my country's name wrong.
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and Nostalgic
Golden_Hope21 May 2020
I think they did a good job with this. The design of Sonic so so much better than the one featured in the trailer. It baffles me how they thought the original design was ok. It looked like a child's drawing of something they had seen in a nightmare.

The relationship between Sonic and James Marsden is super cute too and you'd do become invested in it.

It is very much a kids movie but it's nice for older people to see as it's filled with nostalgia from the Sonic games. There are plenty of little Easter eggs that people who have played the game will notice.

This movie is also really charming. It has lines that are funny too.

So I would watch it especially if you have any interest in Sonic I don't think you will be disappointed or frustrated at what they have done with the property.
58 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ώ Azerbaijan
aytenhuseynova14 September 2021
Not Azerbaijanistan, Azerbaijan! And we are!!!

Movie soo bad, πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž
46 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad,ruined!
aghayefanigar14 September 2021
Azerbaijan is a big country! Not azerbaijanstan! AZERBAIJAN!!!
35 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
disrespect
alvaraes-0472314 September 2021
The name of Azerbaijan is mentioned as "Azerbaijan", and another actor says "That's not even a country". This is a great disrespect to the people of Azerbaijan.
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shame on you!
susfarajli14 September 2021
There is no such a country as azerbaijanistan. It's AZERBAIJAN and it has NOTHING TO DO WITH Afghanistan! What are you trying to do?? What is your aim by showing the lies about Azerbaijan?? Stop spreading LIES AND FALSE INFORMATION!
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad movie
sebuhigoylerov14 September 2021
The film tells the wrong things about Azerbaijan and equates Azerbaijan with Afghanistan. And with such a scene, they create a bad perception against Azerbaijan, we condemn it.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie
educunhaholanda12 February 2020
A movie that I thought was going to be a trainwreck really surprised me. Jim Carrey really steals the show with a phenomenal performance. An excellent film to take your whole family to the cinema and have a good laugh. Very funny!
219 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Use of incorrect information
v-0558214 September 2021
The name of Azerbaijan is mentioned in the film as "Azerbaijanstan", and then "it is not even a country". This is a great disrespect to the people of Azerbaijan. I demand that the film director and screenwriter be punished. Azerbaijan is one of the multicultural country and it is an insult to us.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misinformation
aynurasalimova14 September 2021
Maybe actors are good but the information you are providing absolutely not accaptable. You even didnot bother to check country name properly. You cannot compare Azerbaijan (not Azerbaijastan) with Afganistan.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
False information and annoying
holachicas14 September 2021
Dont waste your time. This movie is soo annoying and they give false information about Azerbaijan. They compare it with Afghanistan.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't exist Azerbaijanistan. Its name is Azerbaijan!
royalismayilov-3029814 September 2021
It's unrespectful behaviours for us. Azerbaijan don't equal to Afghanistan or etc. We are Azerbaijan. The world recognize us.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
0 stars
huseynovnebi14 September 2021
Before making a film, analize Azerbaijan country. It is shameful situation.
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fast-moving adventure (obviously) that should entertain newcomers and keep fans of the original series satisfied
MrDHWong13 February 2020
Sonic The Hedgehog is an action comedy movie based on the SEGA video game series of the same name. Starring James Marsden and Jim Carrey, it is a fast-moving adventure (obviously) that should entertain newcomers and keep fans of the original series satisfied.

In the small town of Green Hills, Montana, a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog named Sonic (voiced by Ben Schwartz) lives in hiding after being forced out of his original dimension due to his powers of super speed. After accidentally causing a blackout throughout the whole area, Sonic attracts the attention of Dr. Ivo Robotnik (Jim Carrey), an eccentric evil genius whom the government has hired to track Sonic down for experimental purposes. Now on the run once again, Sonic enlists the help of local police officer Tom Wachowski (James Marsden) to aid him in avoiding capture and hopefully make a new friend in the process.

Even if you aren't a hardcore fan of the series, Sonic The Hedgehog provides a nice amount of fun action and quirky humour to draw in even the most casual of moviegoer. I myself was a Nintendo kid growing up, preferring to play as the Italian plumber instead of the blue hedgehog, but SEGA and their mascot character always had my respect for being worthy rivals during the video game wars of the 90s, and the same can be said for this. In fact, this film seems to strongly acknowledge Sonic's 1990s roots, from his love of chili dogs to listening to music on a boombox. Of course, there are some references to modern trends but they are kept to a minimum likely so that the film will age better.

Jeff Fowler, who makes his directorial debut for a feature film, does a fine job juggling his storytelling duties with showing off some solid special effects along the way, especially on Sonic himself. It is well known by now that Sonic's original design for this film was poorly received by the public so it was decided that his overall look would be changed. This worked well in the film's favour as not only does he better resemble his video game self, but he even feels more naturally integrated into the real world. We watch as Sonic dashes around causing mischief and escaping danger through different environments like the big city or the quiet countryside, deriving enjoyment along the way. This led to some amusing Quicksilver/Deadpool-esque moments which provided great comic relief during several action scenes.

Comedian Ben Schwartz was a great pick to provide the voice and motion-capture of Sonic himself, both emanating the character's trademark cocky attitude while also showcasing his loneliness and longing for true friendship. This, in turn, makes him more relatable to the audience and causes him to have more human traits than some of the actual people in the film. James Marsden also gave a likeable performance as Tom Wachowski, not merely being relegated to the straight man role but also having his fair share of funny moments as well. However, it is Jim Carrey who steals the show as Dr. Robotnik. I'm not sure whether it was seeing how perfectly tailored the character was to his comedic talents or if it was just how nostalgic it felt to see him acting like his over-the-top 90s self again, but virtually everything he said and did had me laughing out loud. I hope we will see more of Carrey's portrayal of the character in the near future, which reportedly he has expressed interest in doing.

In the end, even though the film isn't groundbreaking by any means, it still provides much needed entertainment thanks to its respectful take on the source material that, like POKÉMON Detective Pikachu before it, definitely feels more like how video games should be handled for the big screen treatment. There is certainly potential for other game franchises to be adapted into movies with a similar style and it is starting to feel as though the "video game curse" may be fading away altogether. There are two bonus mid-credit scenes worth staying back for, and while they aren't of Masahiro Sakurai approaching Sonic about the Smash initiative, they should excite fans of the series just as much.

I rate it 7/10
85 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth every penny!
ruberoid12 February 2020
I was skeptical about this movie but damn, it's just great! Jim Carrey as always mastermind and Sonic looks like proper Sonic from 90s The story is great, CGi is great, soundtrack is great. Such a great movie for all family definitely one of the best entertainment movie of 2020
137 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.