Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) Poster

1,049 Reviews
How a Company Should Treat its Customers!
mamba_king13 February 2020
When I saw the original trailer I was genuinely horrified in Sonic's design, like a person in bad cosplay. After the redesign many like myself felt the need to support this movie to honour the fan service and genuine care. I'm sure glad that I did. A funny movie, Jim Carrey was amazing like always and of course Sonic looked great. A very fun movie for the whole family.
603 out of 740 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm giving it an extra star because they redesigned sonic
jennifercasco16 February 2020
Honestly this was a movie I was never really planning to see. I thought it was another cash grab at our nostalgia. But when the initial trailer came out with the original sonic, I partook in the hilarious and frightening memes and joined in on the criticism. When I found out that they were redesigning Sonic due to the backlash - I was shocked. I never thought a studio would listen to our voice, and oh was our voice heard.

So after I saw the second trailer I thought to myself, well, I guess I gotta go see it now. "Put your money where your mouth is." If the studio took the time to do this for us then I will gladly pay my money to see this.

And I'm glad I did. It's a fun movie. It's not perfect by any means, but it's an enjoyable film for the family. I love the new Sonic, I love the cast, Jim Carrey is spectacular as always. It was a fun movie from start to finish. And it was really entertaining. I love the voice character for Sonic too, I think he fit perfectly. I would've given it a 7/10 but like I mentioned before, an extra star for caring about the fans and the audience.
356 out of 434 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soooo much better then expected!
dutchcomputerkid10 March 2020
Definitely fun to watch, and with the new redesign it works very, very well! Recommended, hoping it does well enough in box office performance for a sequel. Would LOVE to see that happen!
117 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great funny family film
zenfultaco16 February 2020
This was funny, fast paced and family friendly. They have plenty of comedic moments and nods to the game franchise. Loved it. Gotta go fast.
279 out of 374 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Did Not Suck. It's actually pretty decent family movie.
ikhwan_arif14 February 2020
I live in Asia so we got to see the movie 1 day earlier than the U.S. And no Corona-chan is not a problem in my exact location.

I can tell you with all certainty that Sonic the Hedgehog Movie does not suck. It's actually a decent family movie. A little basic for adults, the pacing and a certain plot in the middle is rather poorly executed but on the whole, the main plot is fine, the acting is fine, the jokes are okay-ish, the music is fine, the production is really good, the animation is really good and the movie is fun.

It's not going to win any awards but it's good enough for casual movie-goers and more than good for Sonic fans. I gave it an extra Star from a 7 because the creators actually listened to fans and gave a good-looking Sonic which in all honesty, is what made the film because Sonic looked good. Real good. Sonic's animation is quite a joy to watch and doesn't take you out of the immersion.
286 out of 392 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Movie
scaredschmidtless14 February 2020
It's not the next masterpiece of cinema, but I genuinely think it's an enjoyable watch if you don't go in expecting the stars.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I have a lot of other "Video-Game cash in movies" anyway. Yes, It's a genre that's been done a lot, but that doesn't make this film inherently bad.

It had some enjoyable moments in it.

I have immense amounts of respect for the crew who worked on this movie, due to how much the internet kicked up a storm and how they worked tirelessly to try re-jig the movie to make it work. That doesn't mean the movie is perfect, but the respect for the craft is there.

Long story short; It's not a perfect movie, but you can tell that effort was made in it's creation. Had some enjoyable moments and would definitely encourage people to watch.
134 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and Nostalgic
Blk_Ne19021 May 2020
I think they did a good job with this. The design of Sonic so so much better than the one featured in the trailer. It baffles me how they thought the original design was ok. It looked like a child's drawing of something they had seen in a nightmare.

The relationship between Sonic and James Marsden is super cute too and you'd do become invested in it.

It is very much a kids movie but it's nice for older people to see as it's filled with nostalgia from the Sonic games. There are plenty of little Easter eggs that people who have played the game will notice.

This movie is also really charming. It has lines that are funny too.

So I would watch it especially if you have any interest in Sonic I don't think you will be disappointed or frustrated at what they have done with the property.
31 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie
educunhaholanda12 February 2020
A movie that I thought was going to be a trainwreck really surprised me. Jim Carrey really steals the show with a phenomenal performance. An excellent film to take your whole family to the cinema and have a good laugh. Very funny!
258 out of 383 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pros of the Movie
nofear-8553713 February 2020
1- Love the voice actor of Sonic.

2- Love how they use different references from different movies and tv shows.

3- The Comedy is on point whether you're an adult or a child.

4- The animation of Sonic is way better than the previous one.

5- There are some heart-felt moments where you're drawn to the emotions that Sonic is going through.

6- Love the fact that they're continuing the movie with a second part.

7- I enjoyed Jim Carry's role as the villain due to his clumsiness in some situations.
212 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
omarfigueroafilms14 February 2020
Sonic definitely exceeded all my expectations. The film has excellent music, cinematography and acting, with an incredible battle between Dr. Eggman and Sonic. Jim Carrey is the king of comedy, he really made Dr. Eggman scary and dangerous. Don't listen to critics, it's great!
204 out of 308 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Art
wilmardonizorcius14 February 2020
This movie is so good I took my parents who were going through a divorce to this movie and they decided to stay together.
150 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, fast-paced movie filled with heart and humour.
krishkhatiwada13 February 2020
Overall - Had lots of laughs at the cinema with a friend. But don't go in with high expectations.

Having just watched Sonic, I can say that it was an enjoyable movie. Many of the elements that make up the movie has been seen before but the movie executes them well enough for them to be justified and certainly funny.

Standout from the cast is Jim Carrey, who steals the show, especially in one scene in which he is experimenting with something that belongs to Sonic.

Visual Effects and Sonic himself could have done with a little more polish but its adequate.
112 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth every penny!
ruberoid12 February 2020
I was skeptical about this movie but damn, it's just great! Jim Carrey as always mastermind and Sonic looks like proper Sonic from 90s The story is great, CGi is great, soundtrack is great. Such a great movie for all family definitely one of the best entertainment movie of 2020
156 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much fun for the whole family!
daviddevilliers5413 February 2020
This is a genuinely excellent movie! I was a little skeptical at first given the fact that there would've been a chance that even though they fixed Sonic's design, this movie was going to be too much like The Smurfs. But boy was I wrong! Jim Carrey absolutely steals the show as Dr. Robotnik, who will eventually adopt the name Eggman, and Sonic just looks so cute! The action scenes are excellent and some jokes are really hilarious! I'd highly recommend this movie to anybody!
126 out of 208 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth your time
Mjolniar12 February 2020
In my opinion this is the video game movie everyone deserves to see
129 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch
tradino16 February 2020
Hoping for the second movie. Animation was great. Glad they took the 3 months to redo it.
48 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sonic Could've Been Introduced Better!
Impartial-Critic23 February 2020
A popular character like Sonic should've had a better introduction to the big screen audience. Nothing new in the story here, a redundant (Alien Meets a Kid) concept. For decades the typical story goes...alien lands on earth, meets a boy - in our case here is a man child - a cop named Tom, government seeks the alien to experiment on him, boy tries to help the alien to escape.

The movie is mediocre on all artistic levels at best and without some laughs from the crazy comedy talent of Jim Carrey and some geeky Sonic dances, this movie would've been a disaster. On the technical level the movie feels rushed and needed a lot of animation tweaking. Sonic eyes looks fake, in some scenes he looks at the actors from weird angels! Not to mention for a character who's mainly power is speed, his blinking is notably very slow. Also in some scenes the human actors interact with Sonic as if he was meant to be a bigger character and was replaced during editing.
194 out of 358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was really good
rufrocko13 February 2020
I was a little nervous watching this movie but then I relaxed and really enjoyed it, the special effects are nice and im just curious what the sequel will be like, you cant go wrong with the sonic movie, and jim carrey was funny
87 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie!
kmmackenzie20 February 2020
It's not the best videogame-portrayed Movie, but its also not the worst. I specifically loved it for the comedy, action, and heartwarming parts. There is a fortnite reference...but I only think that Sonic just thinks it's a funny dance- He doesn't know the bad side of the internet- Anyways, I highly recommend this for a heartfelt and hilarious experience, everyone did so well! Best movie I've ever seen!
46 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fast-moving adventure (obviously) that should entertain newcomers and keep fans of the original series satisfied
MrDHWong13 February 2020
Sonic The Hedgehog is an action comedy movie based on the SEGA video game series of the same name. Starring James Marsden and Jim Carrey, it is a fast-moving adventure (obviously) that should entertain newcomers and keep fans of the original series satisfied.

In the small town of Green Hills, Montana, a blue anthropomorphic hedgehog named Sonic (voiced by Ben Schwartz) lives in hiding after being forced out of his original dimension due to his powers of super speed. After accidentally causing a blackout throughout the whole area, Sonic attracts the attention of Dr. Ivo Robotnik (Jim Carrey), an eccentric evil genius whom the government has hired to track Sonic down for experimental purposes. Now on the run once again, Sonic enlists the help of local police officer Tom Wachowski (James Marsden) to aid him in avoiding capture and hopefully make a new friend in the process.

Even if you aren't a hardcore fan of the series, Sonic The Hedgehog provides a nice amount of fun action and quirky humour to draw in even the most casual of moviegoer. I myself was a Nintendo kid growing up, preferring to play as the Italian plumber instead of the blue hedgehog, but SEGA and their mascot character always had my respect for being worthy rivals during the video game wars of the 90s, and the same can be said for this. In fact, this film seems to strongly acknowledge Sonic's 1990s roots, from his love of chili dogs to listening to music on a boombox. Of course, there are some references to modern trends but they are kept to a minimum likely so that the film will age better.

Jeff Fowler, who makes his directorial debut for a feature film, does a fine job juggling his storytelling duties with showing off some solid special effects along the way, especially on Sonic himself. It is well known by now that Sonic's original design for this film was poorly received by the public so it was decided that his overall look would be changed. This worked well in the film's favour as not only does he better resemble his video game self, but he even feels more naturally integrated into the real world. We watch as Sonic dashes around causing mischief and escaping danger through different environments like the big city or the quiet countryside, deriving enjoyment along the way. This led to some amusing Quicksilver/Deadpool-esque moments which provided great comic relief during several action scenes.

Comedian Ben Schwartz was a great pick to provide the voice and motion-capture of Sonic himself, both emanating the character's trademark cocky attitude while also showcasing his loneliness and longing for true friendship. This, in turn, makes him more relatable to the audience and causes him to have more human traits than some of the actual people in the film. James Marsden also gave a likeable performance as Tom Wachowski, not merely being relegated to the straight man role but also having his fair share of funny moments as well. However, it is Jim Carrey who steals the show as Dr. Robotnik. I'm not sure whether it was seeing how perfectly tailored the character was to his comedic talents or if it was just how nostalgic it felt to see him acting like his over-the-top 90s self again, but virtually everything he said and did had me laughing out loud. I hope we will see more of Carrey's portrayal of the character in the near future, which reportedly he has expressed interest in doing.

In the end, even though the film isn't groundbreaking by any means, it still provides much needed entertainment thanks to its respectful take on the source material that, like POKÉMON Detective Pikachu before it, definitely feels more like how video games should be handled for the big screen treatment. There is certainly potential for other game franchises to be adapted into movies with a similar style and it is starting to feel as though the "video game curse" may be fading away altogether. There are two bonus mid-credit scenes worth staying back for, and while they aren't of Masahiro Sakurai approaching Sonic about the Smash initiative, they should excite fans of the series just as much.

I rate it 7/10
97 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast,fun,fellings and adorable
ellopezkakaa12 February 2020
As a fan of the games in the 90s this movie make me smile, this movie have great humor,and for me is one of the best gaming adaption movies i see#catch sonic­čśÄ
107 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skizor-sk813 February 2020
Just watched the movie today and oh boy the redesign looks amazing it's almost perfect. That's the reason why i give 10 to the movie because they listen the fans. Now let's talk about the rest. The story is ok we have to remember that the movie is for kids to, but it's still enjoyable. Jim Carrey do a great job as usual and builds perfect into the eggman we know. The CGI looks very good. The soundtrack is feets perfect in the movie. For a guy that grow up with Sonic it was the first game I played when I was seven, I really enjoyed the movie is totally worth it. In the end you can see a really nice surprise.
77 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sonic has all the speed but no direction
hotrobinproductions9 March 2020
Watching this movie is like having an amazing time on a rollercoaster but after it's done you have a big headache or you need to barff. Like you had fun, it was awesome while it lasted but when it's finished it's like really? I admit I liked this movie, but as much as I liked it there's a lot I didn't like. I liked the pace, the chemistry between sonic and the side character, I liked how they handled the story. The jokes can be funny sometimes, other times they don't land and just seem very corny. I thought Jim Carrey as robotnic was ok just felt they should have actually casted someone that looks like him. Sonic comes off as a creep, spying on people, Hidding from them for like YEARS. And for some reason, when he ACTUALLY needs to hide, he doesn't, for a guy with super speed he also can't dodge a tranquilizer bullet? I mean the entire movie shows him dodging missiles and bar fights, but he can't dodge a tranquilizer bullet? A lot of the logic just doesn't add up. I admit theres a lot I like about this movie but there's a lot I don't.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, heartwarming, yet dynamic story
raptcat12 February 2020
This movie just doesn't let you feel bored, it's full of fun, energy (as well as Sonic himself!), jokes, pop-culture references and loveable characters. The storyline is pretty simple, but still it doesn't mean it's bad, the main advantage of this movie is its fun and a huge amount of energy, it has great action scenes and I just love that kind of relationship between the main characters. It's so easy to enjoy all of this, and I think Sonic as one of the most iconic videogame characters has a great presentation in his debut movie. Gotta go fast to watch this movie one more time, highly recommend you for watching, even if you are not a Sonic fan!
88 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, just terribly boring
untersim30 March 2020
See title. Nothing more to it really. Outdated pop-culture references and lazy recycled "jokes". Ok visuals though, good redesign and comforting to see Carrey do his old thing again.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.