The Equalizer 2 (2018) Poster

I just want to mention one part
esferdez21 July 2018
The movie is good. Im a Denzel fan, and a Fuqua fan, so naturally i enjoyed it. I would like to draw attention to one part specifically - when Denzel has the serious talk with the young gentleman after they get off the elevator about halfway through. In my humble opinion, acting doesn't get any better than that. It is the cream resting at the top of his consistently excellent work. A remarkable example of the power of film.
205 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very slow and predictable
cshafkat-790413 August 2018
I had my expectations high because I was very impressed with the first one. Unfortunately this one is a bit of a disappointment owing to the pacing and predictability of the story. It was slower and boring. If they decide to make a third one then they should make it a bit more fast paced.
175 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge isn't as Sweet
ThomasDrufke2 August 2018
If there's anyone in Hollywood that I would believe is actually a real life bada**, it's probably Denzel Washington. The first Equalizer was a surprisingly brutal and visceral action film that gave Liam Neeson movies a run for its money. While the sequel is full of just as many, if not more, incredible kill sequences by Denzel's character, I think there's a lack of connection I felt this time around. I wasn't nearly as connected to the story, and perhaps that's because the revenge didn't feel as sweet this time around. The ending of the film is a great sequence on its own and there are certain scenes I will certainly revisit, but I'm not sure the film as a whole works quite as well.

6.6/10
69 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as Fast paced as the first one
paniwala4 August 2018
We expected this to be as fast paced as the first one. Very slow narration and at times dragging with too many slow side stories. Action not as fast paced and impactful as the first one. Can wait for it on HBO. Cant believe the director Antoine Fuqua is the same on this one ! Denzel Washington is good but not at his best.
104 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow, overprecious, silly
eurobalauru3 August 2018
One good actor can not produce a movie, when nothing else is there to add. Small talks may not always contribute to the atmosphere, expressly when randomly thrown into the soup. And a crude story remains just a sketch, whatever you try to do with it. And this is the case with this movie. A huge potential wasted in a mediocre script, with barely convincing characters and a totally flat course. No music, nor the hurricane, could add to the lack of vibration in this scenario. This is a "Gran Torino" with a silly fake action movie beside. Denzel, who is a great actor and is playing excellent here too, becomes almost ridiculous trying to give some substance to nothing. Total disappointment, and an unreal over-rating...
113 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's ok at best.
water70829 July 2018
The first one had potentials, so i really bad high hopes for this one but sadly It felt like a long episode of a TV series.
64 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the Wait
the_remixer0822 July 2018
It's hard to say which one I loved more, but if I think hard enough, I'll give EQ2 a couple of more points over EQ1 but I can't wait to add part two to my collection. I was so emotionally invested in the sequel, but I think that's what makes it so good simply because the stories are more on a personal level and it allows you to see another side of McCall that you could have possibly missed in the first one now that we already know who he is. The action sequences were very well balanced out and kept you on edge. It didn't even feel like I was in there two hours I was so caught up in the journey. Great work. Plan on seeing it again before it leaves theaters
157 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
took long enough!
kowgirltina20 July 2018
I was really excited when I started seeing the commercials for EQ2. I read they wanted to make a sequel for years, but nothing really came about. I really enjoy action/adventure movies, so this was right up my alley.

The story line was similar to the first one- Denzel helping those who have been wronged, but there is a new location, new job, and new characters.

There is enough action and suspense, and not a ton of CGI like other movies, which in my opinion, makes this a little more believable. You get a couple of twists and turns here and there and Denzel's acting really fits the role.

I judge a movie on whether it's good enough to see again, and I would definitely see it again!
102 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Denzel Delivers A Solid, If Unspectacular, Follow-Up
bastille-852-73154719 July 2018
I'm a fan of Denzel Washington and enjoyed the first "Equalizer" movie. That said, "The Equalizer" was not a film I was necessarily clamoring for a sequel to--although I still was looking forward to it since Denzel Washington and the action scenes in the trailer would be worthwhile. After seeing "The Equalizer 2" at an advance screening, I can say that while the film is not perfect, it's an entertaining ride for adult action junkies that is on par with the first movie in terms of quality.

Denzel returns as Robert McCall, a vigilante-type figure and former special forces operative who begins the movie on a mission in Turkey. After such prologue, the film centers in on its primary narrative thread: a woman who he worked with on multiple missions has been killed by thugs in Brussels. The rest of the film primarily concerns McCall's attempt to bring the perpetrators of such heinous crime to justice, although the film also contains multiple sub-plots--including a new, older adolescent-age character who could theoretically become somewhat of a protégé to McCall in a possible third movie in the franchise.

The action scenes in "The Equalizer 2" are thrilling and intense. Sometimes the intersection of Fuqua's cinematography choices and sound edits can feel and appear a bit choppy at times, but the film certainly brings the white-knuckle goods. The film's action-packed finale scene, a climatic showdown in the midst of an incredibly rough hurricane, is thoroughly effective and satisfying. Just like the first movie, the violence in "The Equalizer 2" certainly earns its R rating. Denzel Washington is great as McCall, blending a unique mix of charisma and ferocity. Just like in the first movie, he is able to carry the film on all of its levels from beginning to end. That said, the film does have one large flaw--that of which the story is highly predictable. If you've seen any other "vigilante"-style action movie before, you'll be able to guess the key plot elements well before they unfold, and the film's sole attempt at a plot twist can be guessed within the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Fans of the first movie and Denzel Washington should be able to look past such banality and enjoy the action-packed ride, and I do recommend the film to them. 7/10
74 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the original
dbarnetth-700-27068322 July 2018
In this day and age, I need to see a hero like this. Not just a good guy, but a kind man (to those who deserve it). Washington is the closest thing we have to the next Clint Eastwood. That quiet swagger is very captivating. I hope they make another.
111 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very disappointed
dwstahlrr25 July 2018
Very long for only 3 action sequences. Not better than the original. Very bad camera lighting and Directing. Several things didn't need to be related to the movie. Very very disappointed exspected much more.
86 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Un-Equalizer
MikeC1918 September 2018
As someone that enjoyed the genre thrills of the first film, I thought surely the second one, most likely, would be more of the same. I felt... that it failed miserably. Knowing that Denzel Washington doesn't usually make sequels, I figured this one should probably be pretty good. It feels like, though, that he just cashed a paycheck for this one. A long section in the middle just feels aimless, and like it's just wasting time. It takes a little while to really set up the story, and then just kind of wastes time. The action picks up more near the end, but by then, I was checked out. Melissa Leo and Bill Pullman are wasted in their roles, and have very little to do. The good guy vs. bad guy fight at the end just feels like every other action movie, and just isn't that impressive. Very disappointed with this film. They could have done so much better!
40 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2+2=5
gizzie-4042412 August 2018
I loved EQ1 as it was a great story. Clear cut and believable enough. However, EQ2 was quite boring and predictable with a very unconvincing gang member about to commit a crime and a rogue agent who seemed to get killed very easily. EQ1 showed DW as an ordinary guy with a hidden past that helped those who were oppressed. The story escalated quite nicely yet in EQ2 it seemed that he now travels the world like a one man A team. I feel that Hollywood made a generic action film with this one and would watch it when it's out on DVD.
47 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Denzel would make Woodward proud.
flatfootcdb21 July 2018
Well performed and excellent character development by all characters and parties performed with gusto. Music was very appropriate for the continuing changing scenes. I only hope that Mr Washington accepts a third installment to round out the reprisal of the original TV series. Edward Woodward would have enjoyed the display of looking out for others after retirement to make up for past transgressions for a thankless job.
73 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a boring and unfinished movie
Schuriken24 July 2018
Plot holes, no story, no main villain, edited with an old butcher's clever, boring from start to finish, muslim, race mixing and gender neutral agenda pushing all over the place.

You have no idea whats going on half way through, story so thin you dont really care to find out what happens next. Makes no difference if Denzel Washington is in this movie or Jim Carrey.

Where is the main villain man ? What exactly is Denzel doing throughout the film nobody cares. Fight scenes boring, gun fights a great big yawn...

It felt like someone is trying to force a piece of rotten slice of bread down your throat and wash it down with milk gone bad. Terrible movie for the confused and people who like watching movies while sitting in their toilets. Or for people who like to scroll through movies with a mouse and watch the whole film in 6 seconds max.

I will probably catch up with all future Denzel movies after he is long gone and Im just too bored. Or watch Nicholas Cage films instead. Which is not good.

Just change the movie title. Call it : The Equalizer The Crappy Version
58 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL AND THE ORIGINAL WAS GREAT!!!
anniegaybis20 July 2018
SUPERB! Right from the start it has you on the edge of your seat....and an Orson Bean sighting no less.....that was great!!! Excellent direction, editing and acting by one and all...a must see.....
94 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very boring action movie
elementalchris3918 August 2018
Went to watch this movie over mission impossible because i was too late for tickets, i heard the first one was good and i was with my cousin and we said "F it", that was an "F it" i will always regret, to start off i came in with a mindset of oh denzel washington being a badass mofo its gonna be lit, nope quite opposite, the first 10 mins had action, after that it went downhill, it had a very all over the place story line, i swear tg their was only like 4 action scenes the whole movie, beginning, one with some rich guys in an apartment, one in a car that had nothing to do with the plot, and the last showdown and thats IT, well as far as i remember, on my mom i slept through the movie after the final showdown cuz the theater had heated recliner seats, very boring, very all over the place plot (you really had to pay attention to know whats going on) and i dont want to be paying attention to no action movie, smhhh i wish i got a refund but the nap i took was bomb so i wont complain, when it comes on TV its gonna be a good background movie to do stuff around the house, this is my first review hope u guys liked it
41 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unnecessary follow up to a solid original
andrewshaw-5833020 July 2018
This is a film that spends most of its time in a haze. A bunch of unrelated set pieces loosely being woven together by such a small string. There aren't really any stakes for Denzel's character. I love this director, but I don't understand how he read this script and signed on. The only thing great in this movie is Denzel's performance.
37 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Borinf, very standard for action movie
dedykie16 August 2018
Preety flat for action movie. All action, plot so predictable.
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional
alexb-5513722 July 2018
I was totally blown away by the whole movie. It was better than the first one by far. I hope Denzel does another one and another one and ....
77 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
bori_cuba22 July 2018
Great Movie, loved it. Great action, Denzel did a great job. I hope they make a 3rd.
60 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible!
josephcapp-3398829 July 2018
This movie is all over the place and is, in no way at all, like the first. I should have left 20 minutes in. Total waste of time.
28 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compared to first film
leevanmeter723 July 2018
Of course this movie was great, it's Denzel. In the first sequel of his career, it didn't disappoint. Very methodical. In the first film, he was the hunted. In this one, he is the hunter. First movie has a fantastic villain that was just as powerful as Denzel. The sequel didn't have villain, but with that being said, still a must see.
31 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great energy
mroevans20 July 2018
This movie start a little faster than EQ1.. I really enjoyed it...
49 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SUPERHERO FATIGUED PEOPLE COME HERE PLZ
dr-abhijitdasgupta20 July 2018
Get OVER SNAPS A STAR LORD AND BUNCH OF SUPERHEROES THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME IN ITS OWN.WATCH IT IT WILL HELP FOR THRIVING THIS TYPES OF MOVIES OR WE ALL WILL BE LEFT WITH SEQUELS OF ANTS ONLY.
60 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.