The crypto-zoological agency Monarch faces off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah.
We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson's case, by shouting out one word - SHAZAM - this streetwise fourteen-year-old foster kid can turn into the grown-up superhero Shazam.
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient superspecies, thought to be mere myths, rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance.
The governments plan to kill all the Titans while they slept becomes horrifying once you look at it through a mathematical lens. The people advocating for it seem to assume that the fact their targets are slumbering guarantees success (far from it, considering WHAT they are trying to kill) and don't seem to consider the consequences of failure (an awake, angry Titan). If the chance of failure for whatever method they use is any greater than 0%, then the odds are fairly good that at least one of the 17 monsters they planned to target would pay them back in kind, to illustrate this point, imagine that the governments chosen method (buried nukes or oxygen destroyers) had a 95% chance of killing or sufficently crippling a Titan and a 5% chance to fail and result in a rampaging Titan. Those odds are good for a single monster, but for 17, the odds of there being a very angry survivor jump to around 59%. Couple that with the unlikelihood that humankind can maintain those odds throughout all 17 of their attempts... This becomes even more so when you remember the one attempt we see at someone trying to kill a dormant Titan (the Male MUTO in the original film) via electrocution failed to so much as injure it, and the male MUTO is comparably physically frail for a Titan (with Godzilla only needing one solid hit to kill him), making it even more likely they'd only succeed in waking them up and making them mad. Think about the level of damage that the fight between Godzilla and the MUTOs, and the MUTOs in general, caused. This movie has four kaiju at minimum, all of which dwarf the MUTOs in power (the MUTOs only had one special ability that only caused indirect damage, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah all have abilities capable of destroying entire cities) and if King Ghidorah is anything like his previous counterparts, just imagine the amount of damage they will cause. Remember how Gareth Edwards in the 2014 film said that humans are like ants to the kaiju, mostly ignoring us and swatting us away when we start stinging them? With that analogy, Ghidorah is the equivalent of a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass, reveling in their pain for his own twisted amusement. See more »
In the ancient undersea temple, there is an engraving of Godzilla, and next to it is its name in modern Japanese script. See more »
[SAN FRANCISCO 2014; calling out for his son]
An-drew! An-drew! An-drew! An-drewww!
See more »
SPOILER: Part of the closing credits are a montage of Monarch records alongside news records covering the aftermath of the Titans' rising. Near the end of the credits, there are various records focusing on Skull Island, Kong's home; this leads into Godzilla vs. Kong (2020). See more »
Contrived piece of ****. Where I expected to be entertained, it was torture!
I dig monster movies. I love the concept of massive creatures that dwarf us. Something that started with my fascination of dinosaurs when I was a kid.
But to say that this movie was a disappointment is a gross understatement! Where are the good story tellers in Hollywood?!
2. Sound Editing
3. Last minute of the final battle.
1. Monster design - Nothing spectacular. Especially did not like the design of the main antagonist. Seemed less organic and more of direct attempt to copy a certain design of a certain mythological beast.
2. Cinematography - Nothing new here. Broad sweeps of large areas and landscape, etc.
3. The conclusion.
1. Side characters: Seems like the only reason most the side characters to exist was to fill a diversity and gender quota, to pay lip service to current trends. Just give them a few scenes with some dialogue and voila! Job done!
2. Obligatory side characters: "Hey, we don't have a wise cracking guy..." - Points randomly at a guy " You be that guy. And be a .. I don't know...lead scientist. To justify your role."
3. Dialogue: From the one liners to the nonsensical reactionary conversations, all seem to be very childish with little thought put into it.
4. Main characters: I like some of the actors, but the source material and direction was bad enough to make them seem poor at their jobs.
5. Obligatory roles: It's like the screenwriter/director had a checklist of things needed to do: Gender diversity. Check. Ethnic diversity. Check. Noble sacrificial situation/character. Check. Main character in bad situation to be saved. Check. Etc. Not the worst checklist, but even that didn't help.
1. Character motivations: Nonsensical, poorly portrayed and explained. And the decisions the supposedly intelligent people make are clearly not people with common sense do. Which leads to the next point.
2. Character Settings: The way this movie was likely made. The director/screenwriter wanted to create a tense situation. Doesn't matter if it makes logical sense for the actors involved, make them do stupid things, create an artificially charged situation, and then let them constantly survive again and again when they should have died in the first instance. Want to make us care for the main characters? Same modus operandi.
1. Contrivance: If there was ever a category at the Oscars for Contrivance, this movie would get it. If there was ever a Nobel Prize category for Contrivance this would win it! It's that bad. Right from the very first scene , till the end. It keeps getting hammered into the audiences face again and again and again!
Honestly, it seemed like the movie was written/directed by a young child who doesn't exactly understand the basic elements of story telling. I didn't care for any of the characters, even those portrayed by actors I like! Even the few monster battles felt unepic for the most part, and dragged on. The main characters getting into impossibly dangerous situations like idiots, and surviving when they shouldn't have. Again and again and again.
Never again will I watch a movie made by this director and screenwriter. I can do without the torture. Please don't suffer like I did!
127 of 197 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this