The Martian (2015) Poster

(2015)

1,160 Reviews
Entertaining and slick enough to make you go with it
bob the moo2 July 2016
I heard a lot about this film regarding its scientific validity as a piece of fiction. Perhaps as a result of this I assumed that the film would be a dry affair – an impression sort of confirmed by the longer than normal running time. As it happens, this is not the case at all because The Martian has much more in common with the entertaining blockbuster that the starry cast list and presentation suggest it will be. The story wears its science very much on its sleeve, but yet makes it accessible and fun – with the slick presentation making it so. As a result everything seems to be explained with everyday objects, and even the most complex principles are presented in simple terms (references to Iron Man for instance). As a result the film gets to have its cake and eat it – although the film is helped by the knowledge of a lot of this being possible (eg hitting a point near Pluto recently with very tight tolerances on a journey of years).

The film itself doesn't really play up the drama in a heavy way, but rather does enough to invest the viewer in it without making it too much of a downer or serious. The soundtrack is hugely upbeat, the content is mostly light in tone, and the science is delivered in a very user-friendly fashion – essentially in the service of the tone and the entertainment value, nothing more than this. The starry cast add to this feeling, and use their screen presence well. Damon is consistently likable, which is just as well since he is alone in the vast majority of his scenes. The ensemble cast has a lot of depth to it, all of which are solidly watchable – Chastain, Wiig, Daniels, Eiofor, Peña, Bean, and so on. The Chinese aspects of the plot serves as another reminder that this film is a blockbuster out to make money, but it doesn't seem too out of place. Technically it looks great and it impressive how convincing the surface of Mars looks.

In the end we get to the fist-pumping mission control scenes that we all knew were coming, but along the way the film is slickly packaged and entertaining as a result; even if the oft-mentioned scientific validity of it all is not something it ever seems concerned with itself.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More marshmallow than Martian!
flickernatic12 October 2015
The crew of an American base on Mars are forced to make an emergency departure leaving one crew-member behind presumed dead. But he is alive! Can the stranded astronaut find a way of communicating his plight to those on Earth and survive while he awaits rescue?

A fairly standard 'castaway' plot but one which offers many dramatic possibilities. Unfortunately few of these are realised in this pedestrian movie which fails to generate any significant dramatic tension. This is partly because the characterisation is thin but also because the challenges the stranded astronaut faces seem to be so easily overcome. Starvation? Grow potatoes. Punctured space-helmet? Sticky tape. Mars rover vehicle lacking power? Wire up a few solar cells. Communications equipment destroyed? Motor over to a handy Mars lander. We never sense that the 'Martian' (Matt Damon) is in a desperate, mind- and body-sapping struggle against the odds (conveniently he is a botanist).

Damon effectively portrays the 'Martian' as a likable guy but the problem is how to fill the two hours of the movie that remain after he is stranded? When a character is alone and unable to communicate it needs something exceptional to keep us glued to the screen. Maybe what's going on back home will do it. Not really because the cast of characters there are verging on cardboard cut-outs. The returning crew? Likewise. And the script is written on the assumption that the audience is a little dumb, e.g. A: It will be 500 Sols (Martian days) before we can rescue him. B: But his food will run out in 300 sols. C: So he'll die before we get there. Indeed! And so may we.

The movie has some good FX and the Martian landscape looks convincing. But there's nothing exceptional here to compensate for the lack of an effectively told story.

In essence this is an American feel-good fantasy film, celebrating ideals of technical omnipotence, racial harmony, gender equality and international collaboration (with those cool Chinese guys and gals). If only it were so. No wonder the credits rolled to the tune of The O' Jays singing 'Love Train'. School-kids will probably join in! But, to quote Sam Goldwyn, 'Include me out!'

(Viewed at the Odeon, Warrington, 06 October 2015)
388 out of 576 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Expected more
slingeraap8 October 2015
I am a bit of nerd of this kind of realistic science fiction movies and therefore I had high expectations of this movie. I regret to say I was disappointed.

The movie tells the story of how the main character struggles to survive on Mars and how the space agencies work to get them back. But I was missing the emotions, the human touch. The main character never displays any signs of loneliness, despair or fear. He is more like "oh, looks like I'm stuck on Mars, let's grow potatoes". He makes a one- off reference to his parents in an electronic communication, but nowhere in the movie is it made clear what his main drive is to want to return to Earth. It appears as nothing ties him there. Maybe the directors wanted to avoid the cliché of the eight months pregnant and terminally ill wife eagerly awaiting her husband's return from a dangerous mission, but even a cliché had been better than nothing. His character is also too flat. The only character trait that is highlighted slightly in the movie is that he may be a bit too smug about himself. Nothing else to make me identify or sympathize with him. To be honest, I couldn't have cared less if he had not survived.

The Mars landscape is beautifully rendered en very credible with dust clouds and all. This is the main attraction of the movie.

The main problem that there is nothing novel about this movie. There have been better movies for every aspect of the film:

Human aspect/psychology of being marooned in a strange place: Cast Away did it so much better; set in space: Matt Damon's role in Interstellar was more credible than his performance here. Space action scenes: Gravity had me on the edge of my seat Ground control scenes: Apollo 13 already set the standard

In summary, the movie is a beautiful, but hollow shell.
763 out of 1,236 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Ridley Scott Classic
rishimon12 October 2015
I can't really believe that I just finished watching a Ridley Scott science fiction movie and feeling this low, this one never felt like anywhere close to any of his classics. This is just nothing but a typical Hollywood s***. Matt did a poor performance as a character who is caught in a life and death situation. He is not scared or emotional but instead he keeps throwing Hollywood typical punch dialogues on your face like an Avenger hero when you are expecting Science. A make-up artist or a sound engineer from the set of "Big bang theory" would have written better science script and dialogues. For me there are plenty of "WTF" or "Seriously?" moments in this movie and I wonder what happened to one of the favorite directors of all time. Also repetitive high five/triumph scenes where we don't feel anything. To brief: Drag, bad drama, insensitive emotional scenes, poor acting, very less science, predictable and not at all funny punch dialogues! Just YIFY it, don't buy!
302 out of 487 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is really NOT good! Here's why.
danjocross15 October 2015
It's so frustrating when so many people like and praise a movie that really doesn't deserve it. The Martian is such a movie. I had such high hopes for it after all the hype, and after reading reviews by smart critics I usually agree with, but it was such a disappointment. Here's why:

Plausibility. Just like Gravity, there are so many non-sensical depictions of the physics of space travel, it makes my head hurt, and I'm not even a physicist. The characters and their actions are pretty implausible too, starting with Damon's chipper attitude about being left alone on a planet 100 million miles from Earth, but certainly not ending there. After realizing he is alone and will be for so long that he will run out of food, he gets the brilliant idea to try to grow his own, which we are supposed to take as a mark of his plucky brilliance. But he's a botanist! What would a botanist be doing on a space mission *except* studying how things grow? And then when an accident causes all his potato plants to die, the brains at NASA (who can't believe he figured a way to grow potatoes in the first place) instantly conclude (and tell us) that since the accident froze all the bacteria in the soil, he won't be able to grow any more. Why not? He still has potatoes to eat, and he still, presumably, shits occasionally, so he has all the ingredients he used the first time. Ugh! My brain hurts!

Writing. The script seems written more by market researchers than a screenwriter. Corny little one-liners ("My balls are frozen!") appeal to the lowest common denominator in the audience, and the relentlessly happy tone makes being stranded on Mars seem like a big party, complete with disco music (literally). And the dialog!! There's a moment when Jeff Daniels, the head of NASA (whom it is hard to imagine has ever ever taken a science class or piloted anything) talks to the heads of the Chinese Space agency who offer (presumedly--we only hear his end of the conversation) to lend one of their ships to the rescue effort. He says, "Mmm Hmm. Okay. I see. Thank you." (That's what a discussion about loaning spacecraft between two space agencies sounds like.) Then he hangs up the phone, clenches his fists, and says, "Yes!" It's like Homer Simpson finding out there is still one donut left. That someone wrote that line is astounding. That the director and actor saw fit to actually shoot it is bewildering. That it survived the editing process and made it into the final cut--well, there should be an investigation.

Pacing. It's a movie about being stranded on Mars for months and months. Why does it feel like a comedy by Woody Allen or Edgar Wright? There is never a pause, never a prolonged quiet moment that might begin to capture something of the unbelievable space and loneliness this movie is supposed to be about. Instead, it is a constant rapid fire of dialog and action. Even the scenes where he is communicating with Earth via text happens faster than I usually get with my iPhone and 4G. (NASA technicians mention, at one point, that there is a 25 minute delay between all communications, but the filmmakers hope we forget this two minutes later when all the subsequent conversations happen instantly). Then there is the rest of the crew and their additional unplanned two years of extra time stuck in the spaceship, going all the way BACK to Mars to pick up what they left there. If I have to run back home to get something I forgot, the trip always seems infuriatingly long. But not these cheery space travelers! Another two years in space! No problem! And it takes only two minutes of screen time. Piece of cake!

AGH! What a frustrating experience. If you want a sugar-coated popcorn movie that will make you think that if being on stranded on Mars isn't really so bad, why complain about our petty little problems here on Earth? then this movie might be for you. It does for being stranded in space what The Shawshank Redemption does for being in prison. It tries to tell us that it's really not THAT bad after all. It's such a lie, and such a disappointment, all the more so because there are so many serious issues and exciting psychological and scientific aspects about space that could have been explored here.
232 out of 376 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Were my expectations too high?
animalover-18 October 2015
I wish I liked this movie more like a lot of moviegoers who are giving it good to even great reviews, but I left the theater with a bitter taste in my mouth I had to write this review to reconcile my feelings.

Imagine a movie that takes from the glory of Gravity, Cast Away and Apollo 13 which also tries to be as hilarious and groovy as Guardians of The Galaxy at times but fails? You've got The Martian. The first 1/3 of the movie was quite engaging: An astronaut on Mars expedition team gets left behind after a huge storm because he was assumed dead. But he was alive and we watch him try and utilize every cell of his brains and science savvy to survive until help comes. But once he gets out of initial danger things get all too predictable and over-wrought. Couple of annoyances: 141 mins. About 30 mins too long for the storyline. There were too many mentions of Disco music the commander of the mission left behind to ill effect, unconvincing supporting characters on the Earth who seem to be just reciting a script, and some characters the movie shouldn't have had whatsoever (such as Kristen Wiig).

Did Matt Damon do a good job ? I thought so until they showed a body double that didn't even resemble him and from there nothing he did was believable unfortunately. Had Damon actually lost weight without using a body double, I might have gotten more into the movie. But then again, he is no Christian Bale. So I wasn't expecting it but a little weight loss would have made him more convincing.

A few good acting jobs came from Michael Pena and Benedict Wong whose characters added to the storytelling instead of subtracting it in the midst of too many unnecessary characters reciting an already weak script.
222 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Martian: A Classic by all means.
niutta-enrico25 December 2015
I read some of the reviews and decided to review this title myself. That's because I'd like you not to miss this lovely movie.

It got some very bad criticism (Reviews&Ratings first page hosts at least 4 reviewers rating this title '1', lowest possible value on IMDb), most of which deals with Physics laws bended to screenwriter's desire.

Well I just want to reassure you that even though I am among the nerdiest guys on the Internet, I didn't get annoyed from what I saw. Not once. And if you weren't annoyed by Tom Hanks and his boys killing almost an entire German Division before giving up in 'Save Private Ryan' you won't be annoyed too.

It's a movie, not a documentary. And it's a great movie, a classic by all means.
144 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie written by frat-boys
justintannerpw113 October 2015
I don't usually like to give movie reviews - but it was a hot weekend and I figured maybe I'd venture out and see what the culture had to offer. So just how bad was "The Martian?" So bad that after an hour I realized I would rather be back in the sweltering 97 degree heat than sitting in an air conditioned theater listening to anymore inane dialog (lines like "F**k you Mars!" and "I'm going to science the S**T out of it!") In fact it would appear that a prerequisite for going into the space program is at least six months of doing stand up. (BAD stand up.) Why does everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) in the movie sound like one of those guys on "The Big Bang Theory?" Snarky and idiotic and always cracking wise. Also: Why did every character, while typing, READ what he's typing out loud? Has anyone ever done this EVER? And what was with all the expository dialog, (the whole script was expository as far as I'm concerned) Throughout the movie Matt Damon talks into a video camera, making a diary and yet he only says things that everyone who would potentially WATCH the video would of course already know, things like: "Oh yeah, did I tell you? I'm a botanist." It's clear he was attempting to speak directly to the viewer and NOT the imaginary audience in the movie itself. This is the laziest kind of writing there is. They don't know how to deliver plot anymore except to dump bowling balls of ham fisted information in your lap; telling you things you've already figured out in the most obvious way possible. That meant that there was absolutely ZERO tension. It was like reading an instruction manual for a microwave oven. "How do I grow potatoes? Oh look there's some poo." (cue the laugh track) And Ridley Scott's direction was as slack as an industrial film. False stakes, false resolutions, false falseness. Now,I know I only managed to make it through the first hour or so; maybe it got really good after that, but I was starting to feel my brain cells beginning to atrophy so it was from a sense of self- preservation that I skedaddled out of there when I did. (And don't get me started on the disco songs and requisite jokes about 'bad musical taste.' It was just more target-market reconstituted nostalgia-bait.) If there is a more unoriginal, un-involving, unbelievable waste of time out there, I haven't seen it. So of course: Line up the Oscars!
359 out of 627 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pleasantly surprised
whammo-7934617 January 2016
Seeing that the movie was over 2 hrs long, and knowing that the person was going to be stuck on the planet by their self for the majority, I didn't have high hopes for it. Usually these types of movies are boring. Not a lot of writers can pull this off. This movie was really good tho. A group of us watched it and really enjoyed. There were some things they failed to explain, that we collectively came up with our own answer for. Other than that, it was great. I never felt bored or left waiting for more. Overall, I feel it was very well written, produced and acted. Well worth the watching. Some people on here have griped that it was 'predictable', but then, most movies are. Who ever watched Star Wars with the thought that Vader would ultimately win??? Who ever watched Star Trek thinking that Kirk wouldn't find a way to save the day? And frankly, who grew up watching Scooby Doo thinking that someone would actually kill Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Daphne or Velma???
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the film you think it is.
alexandercappelli8 March 2016
The Martian (2015) directed by Ridley Scott, written by Drew Goddard, based on the novel by Andy Weir. This is not the film you think it is. To elaborate, the premise of the The Martian suggests a tale about one man's solitary struggle against seemingly insurmountable odds as he overcomes one hurdle after another while stranded on Mars. Isolated and detached from humanity in every sense of the word we would expect to see a mans emotional and intellectual battle with this overbearing desolation and the pain of never seeing his loved ones again. However, in stark contrast to this what we get is an eternally optimistic film with a persistently upbeat, wise-cracking protagonist set to a soundtrack of '70s disco music. The tone is consistently light throughout, save for a few fleeting moments such as when Matt Damon's character mentions his parents on earth or the brief moments when something doesn't quite go to plan at NASA. When they do encounter a problem it's resolved so quickly it scarcely seems to have posed any threat. The films insistence on never getting weighed down by it's subject matter unfortunately means that it fails to produce any real tension. From very early on in the film it's clear that everything will be OK by the end, one way or another this astronaut is getting home safe, that much you can be sure on. Consequently what we have then is an entertaining, easy to watch space travel story in which we watch an astronaut devise some nifty scientific devices to help him survive in his man made habitat while he waits for NASA to rescue him. There are several scenes where Damon's character actually seems to be enjoying himself. The character development is paper thin, he starts of a self assured, relatively cheerful every-man who endears himself to us almost instantly. By the end of the film he remains exactly that, his harrowing experience of surviving a harsh alien wasteland after being left for dead by his crew has failed to instill even the slightest sense of self-reflection or introspective behavior. The question then remains, does this make it a 'bad' film? My answer is no. It's just not what you'd expect from a Ridley Scott sci-fi. It's an easy going film with a likable protagonist, a healthy dose of humour with just a touch of sentimentality. I will say that I appreciated that we had both a female captain leading the space crew and not even the slightest hint of an unnecessary romantic subplot. Adjust your expectations and you'll have a good time. If, however, you were hoping for a masterpiece of suspense that brilliantly captures the terrifying dangers of space, Scott already made that film in 1979.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Am The Only One Who Was Not Disappointed
Siebert_Tenseven22 December 2015
Having read the book, and being very impressed, I was looking forward to the movie interpretation. I was not the least bit disappointed. I was hoping this movie would not be an overacted, overproduced and sappy version of the original, and I was pleasantly surprised that the story played out without the overblown extraneous embellishment that Hollywood seems to depend on so often.

It was great to see how the screenplay added extra material that was not in the book, and it enhanced the story to make it even better. The characters were interpreted with full respect to the intention of the author, Andy Weir, and nothing was overdone. The pacing and editing of this movie was some of the best I've seen, in fact, some of the one-liners from the book are done so quickly it pushed the story forward relentlessly.

One thing that struck me is that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, and I think that could be a testament to the originality and uniqueness of the book. I believe anyone who reads the book is captivated and involved with the story from beginning to end, and it's possible this comes across in all phases of the production; the acting, the sets, sound, everything. They all knew they had some great material to work with and ran with it.
115 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Matt, you're not making this easy
Sankari_Suomi10 November 2015
This tedious family adventure film is the latest contribution to the popular and well established 'Where Are We Rescuing Matt H. Damon From This Week?' genre.

I like Matt H. Damon, I really do. But he's been making it very difficult recently, and this 2+ hour marathon just doesn't help.

Damon plays an astronaut accidentally marooned on Mars by a storm that literally could not happen because Mars lacks the necessary atmospheric conditions, where he must somehow survive with nothing but an unlimited supply of electricity, an unlimited supply of water, an entirely self- sufficient artificial habitat, half a dozen spare space suits, multiple land vehicles and probes (all in perfect working order), food supplies intended for half a dozen people, and a large quantity of magical potato seedlings that grow to maturity in just a few days despite a complete absence of soil nutrients.

Since the first act establishes that Damon is so well set up he doesn't actually need rescuing, Ridley Scott fabricates a second act 'emergency' in a vain attempt to raise tension (it doesn't).

Damon keeps in contact with Earth via a magical transmission technology that provides full HD streaming with no latency whatsoever, allowing him to have real time conversations with NASA headquarters, where everyone does and says whatever they want because there is no chain of command even though it's ostensibly run by Jeff Daniels (played by Jeff Daniels).

His fellow astronauts remain hovering above Mars, beaming their own HD stream to NASA by the use of a magical camera that automatically homes in on Damon regardless of where he is on the planet.

NASA builds a brand new rocket from scratch in less than 14 days so they can send Damon a fresh load of unlimited supplies. It explodes immediately after takeoff because Ridley Scott still has another hour to fill. Meanwhile Damon accidentally blows up his potatoes.

NASA's lone Chinese employee suddenly remembers that his uncle has a private rocket he's never got around to using, so they phone China and ask if NASA can borrow it. The uncle agrees so the Chinese government sends it into space immediately, where it is instead caught by Damon's astronaut colleagues, who nick all the supplies.

Meanwhile Damon is travelling to the other side of the planet, where he intends to escape using a previously unsuspected bonus rocket that just happens to be lying around the place in perfect working order.

Damon can't carry his unlimited supply of water and only has enough room in his vehicle for a few sandwiches, but by a remarkable stroke of luck it turns out that his body is capable of indefinite peak physical performance despite minimal hydration and a complete lack of nutrition, so that's OK. Also it turns out that the gravity on Mars is exactly the same as Earth's, so he hasn't lost any muscle tone.

Damon arrives at the bonus rocket and is told by NASA that it's actually too heavy to lift off the planet despite being designed for that exact purpose (???) The only solution is to remove the nose of the rocket, which is actually easier than it sounds because the entire spacecraft is made of Lego and can be easily disassembled by a single undernourished man with no tools.

With the nose of the rocket removed, Damon risks being killed by the extreme physical pressure generated by takeoff. NASA points out that a simple tarpaulin is strong enough to protect him, so he finds a spare one from... somewhere... and straps it on.

Damon's fellow astronauts pair their ship with his rocket using Bluetooth, and take over the controls. Damon is almost crushed to a pulp as the rocket leaves Mars, because it turns out that tarpaulin isn't as strong as industrial steel after all.

Somebody on the astronauts' ship blows something up because of reasons, and this somehow makes it easier for one of them to rescue Damon, who has jumped out of his rocket and is now flying towards their ship with the aid of a hole in the finger of his space suit and an unlimited supply of pressurised oxygen.

NASA is helpfully streaming this heroic rescue to the entire planet using their magical realtime HD stream, because of course they are.

Damon and his fellow astronauts arrive home safely just a few hours later, and Damon is rewarded with a free pair of glasses. Henceforth, everyone must call him 'Doctor.' Because doctors have glasses.

I rate The Martian at 13.32 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a mediocre 4/10 on IMDb.
77 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow, empty
renatbek11 November 2015
I was waiting for this movie for a few weeks and was greatly disappointed when I finally watched it.

It doesn't matter if the number of potatoes to survive is accurate, if you are using toxic rocket fuel to make water, you do not feel lonely and isolated, and you are not worried about oxygen - you are just having fun - isolated for 300-500 days without anyone or anything else around - the guy seems pretty comfortable and not worried.

Impossible to connect with characters. Too many stereotypes. Blatant sales and marketing, actor and story picks for the sake of selling more tickets.

I hope I will save my money and time, next movie like this comes out.
85 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling Sci-Fi Survival Adaptation
CalRhys7 October 2015
In an era where science-fiction survival tales are becoming a popular occurrence - with 'Interstellar' last year, and 'Gravity' the year before - writer Andy Weir and sci-fi connoisseur Ridley Scott team up to craft a complex tale that is carried by a single character, that character being Mark Watney, played fantastically by Matt Damon (Hollywood's biggest calamity, who requires being rescued... again).

As the film tees off, we are instantly given a first-person view of the dangers of Mars and the fight for survival each astronaut is living out each day on the planet's surface, that is until their emergency evacuation - but nope, even Damon couldn't do that right. Abandoned upon the desolate surface of Mars after being presumed dead by his crew, Damon must do all he can to endure the martian environment. One huge thing I admire about this film's plot, is that it doesn't care about the intellectual level of its audience, as the quote above states so well: it'll science the s**t out of them. It's such a complex and well-executed premise that on paper seems nothing more than a impossible feat to pull off.

Technically this film is stunning, the cinematography, the CGI, the production design, all utterly gorgeous, and according to the Golden Globes, it's one of the best comedies of recent years too... yeah, sure. Admittedly the tongue-in-cheek humour does add a more fresh appeal to the film, making it a little more unique than previous sci-fi adventures, it piles on layers of thrills, emotional value and complex character development to create one of the finest science fiction films of recent years.
244 out of 440 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What do you get when political correctness takes precedent over good movie making? (If telling you why this move is terrible qualifies as a spoiler then beware)
davidc-2912 December 2015
This movie can be summed up with one word... vapid. As if Matt Damon's inherently vapid acting weren't bad enough, the makers of this film were so overtly focused on presenting an idyllic reality where no character behaves in any offensive way, to anybody, they produced an un-suspenseful, uninteresting, boring, vapid turd of a story. They fall over themselves to be so certain that no minority demographic is stereotyped that all characters have the sane vapid personality. And in what seems to be some sort of perverse effort to recompense reality, a very transparent hierarchy is followed to be certain that: the Black people are the most clever; the Hispanic people are next most clever; the Asian people are next most clever(carefully not portrayed as exceptionally smart), and of course the women are more clever than the men. Of course the only flawed demographic were older white male authority figures. To me this liberal, philosophical portrayal of what an ideal reality is reveals that they are the true bigots, the haters. They hate the differences that make people interesting. Ethnicity, femininity / masculinity, and their different traits should be loved and celebrated, not shamed, muted, or eliminated. It is the interaction of those differences that create an interesting story, not a vapid one.
167 out of 296 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Martian: "Cast Away" Meets "Apollo 13"
jbroc627 October 2015
The Martian is a new Ridley Scott classic, featuring his best work in years, the best performance I've ever seen from Matt Damon, an outstanding supporting cast, a surprisingly funny screenplay from Daredevil creator Drew Goddard, and a great narrative that ties the film together beautifully.

As expected with Ridley Scott films, the film itself is visually stunning. The landscape of Mars looks absolutely breathtaking, and the scenes aboard the Hermes and back on Earth are just as sharp in detail and scope. The way he chose to make this film made it almost seem like an exceptionally made biopic. Many times during this film, I legitimately believed that Mark Watney was a real, living person that was actually stranded on Mars for many months alone. It's Cast Away meets Apollo 13, and this marriage is crafted beautifully.

Matt Damon is absolutely brilliant in this film. He plays Watney with so much optimism that it actually makes the depressing aspect of the film not as depressing for me. However, when he has to put on his dramatic chops in certain scenes, he truly commits to the drama of the situation, and that right there is true Ridley Scott suspense for you. The supporting cast, everyone involved, all do great work as well. Jeff Daniels, Jessica Chastain, particularly Chiwetel Ejiofor. He is one of the best actors working today, and this movie and 12 Years a Slave shows how far he's come.

The most surprisingly element about this movie though was the screenplay. The film is hilarious in some parts, in fact I'd argue that it's funnier than most comedies that have come out this year. What makes to movie unique to me was Watney's optimistic point of view. He believes that he isn't going to die on Mars, and this transforms this rather depressing situation into something comical instead. But when you really think about it, this is a very personal film about some people coming together to save somebody. That's it. And in today's world, it's nice to hear an story about people coming together to save one of their own.

I have nothing bad to say about The Martian. It's the best film I've seen all year.
336 out of 616 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite movie of the last decade
Rose-Warren5 March 2016
I am genuinely amazed at the number of bad reviews there are on here for The Martian. Now I never read the book, but I absolutely LOVED the film. So much so, I watched it twice within a week. It has been such a long time since I have been left with that wonderful sense of satisfaction after investing two hours in a really good movie, and this did it 100%

I am usually left highly disappointed after watching this genre of film, so I wasn't expecting much. Something like Gravity I thought, great special affects, dramatic scenes, and an average storyline, but The Martian was a whole different calibre of film and was perfectly constructed from start to finish.

I was instantly thrown in to a scene where astronaut Mark Watney and his crew are setting about their mission on Mars. But the sh*t hits the fan about ten minutes in where a storm causes Watney to be thrown from the crew and left for dead. There was no long lingering introduction to the film and its characters, just instant drama and character development. This forcibly got me caring for the entire crew, and got me emotionally invested until the end.

Matt Damon has always been good at what he does, but I felt he hadn't really shown off his true raw talent since Good Will Hunting back in 1997. Well he did in this. He was captivating in every single scene, and managed to do what Tom Hanks achieved in Cast Away and single handedly gripped the viewers' attention completely (with the help of a beautifully crafted script). Another reviewer got it bang on when they described it as Apollo 13 meets Castaway. The exact comparison I too had made and a combination, which works superbly.

The makers of this film put so much effort in to making it scientifically accurate which made it all the more pleasurable to watch. There was nothing far-fetched or stupid like in a lot of films of the same genre, and the combination of this, with a solid plot made for a truly interesting, exciting and enjoyable film.

There was drama, great effects, humour, heartwarming moments, a great soundtrack and a flawless screenplay. If you only see one movie this year, make it this one. An absolute must see.
35 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smart, funny, eventful, and well performed
sportsfan082 February 2016
The Martian, based on the novel of the same name written by author Andy Weir, is an eventful movie that serves both as an epic sci-fi adventure, but also provides viewers with some smart laughs. Those are who not that interested in sci-fi will probably end up liking the movie, because it is not unrealistic. Acting wise, Matt Damon puts in an excellent performance as the lead, and supporting actors such as Jessica Chastain, also put in solid performances. Probably one of the best aspects of the film, is that the mood of the movie is quite optimistic, considering that the situation of being stuck on mars, is quite a scary one, that requires a lot of panic. In Conclusion, The martian is a fun, smart movie, that is likely to be enjoyed by most audiences who watch it.
35 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
coldplayer-5721310 August 2017
This is a science fiction movie. The main character is Mark who is a astronaut. In order to investigate Mars, all members of the crew including Mark go to Mars. One day, sandstorm is happened. All members of the crew go back to the earth because everyone thinks that he is dead. However, he is alive. So, he takes advantage of having all knowledge to live and go back. He is a very tough whatever happens, so that I am very impressed with his way of life. So, please watch this movie.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A unique, visually styled film that's still not the sum of its parts
davideo-24 July 2016
STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

During an outer space mission around Mars, astronaut Matt Watney (Matt Damon) is separated from his spacecraft, and is presumed dead in the immediate aftermath. Stranded many light years from his home planet, Mark is forced to use his survival training (including fertilising faeces for food!) in order to survive, before managing to contact Earth and bring news of his survival to NASA president Teddy Sanders (Jeff Daniels), who desperately works on Earth with scientist Vincent Kapoor (Chiwetel Ejiofor) to get him home, while re-assuring a frantic public.

Having made his name in a landmark sci-fi classic many decades ago, Ridley Scott returns to the genre for a film where the only alien appears to be in human form. His ability to create an impressive visual spectacle doesn't seem to have diminished with time, and The Martian features some sets and designs in outer space that could quite blow your mind. The director oversteps any meaningful character development, and plunges us straight into a story that serves as a lengthier rendition of 2013's Gravity, with elements of Tom Hanks's Cast Away chucked in for good measure.

For a film stretching at nearly two and a half hours, it really needed not just an interesting story, but an effective screenplay to match it. While the 'one man stranded in space' plot still has some life in it, Scott seems overly preoccupied with stuffing Damon's Watson character full of insightful technical jargon and waffle, to reassure us he's highly intelligent and 'NASA's finest', to the point of disconnection. To try and balance the script with some humour, Scott has displayed an affection for '70s disco music, which Damon must awkwardly eschew. It's a welcome touch, if not truly effective.

Performances wise, Damon must carry the lengthy film almost singlehandedly, and it's his varying degrees as an actor that make as little or most of this. While a better actor could have made more of it, by turns a weaker actor could have made it worse, and so you're grateful for small mercies. In what could be the main supporting role, Daniels is grounded as the head of NASA but, in a film determined to have as much humour as drama, that role he took with Jim Carrey all those years ago (and recently reprised) can never get out your mind. A further colourful supporting cast further make it up, including Michael Pena, Sean Bean and Ejiofor.

Overall, it's not an entirely unsuccessful film, just one without the genuine tension and suspense to really make it last as long as it does, and so the cracks do appear at times. ***
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter piece of trash
amylbour10 February 2016
Boy, I haven't hated a movie this much in a long time. I actually just joined IMDb (I have been a long term viewer) in order to vent this out of my system, and to express my amazement that this terrible, vapid, cliché movie won a Golden Globe and is nominated for the Oscar best movie of the year. What the heck is going on? Are Aliens sucking the brain matter out of us little by little so that we actually think this tripe is not only good, but great?

A script a high schooler could have written, bad acting, terrible dialogue, one dimensional characters you don't care about, bad disco music, overly politically correct casting, mistakes in basic "science", stupid hap-hap-happy ending where everyone in the world (literally) is jumping, smiling and hugging each other, I could go on and on. This movie was so bad we actually kept watching it, like the morbid curiosity of looking at an auto accident.

My favorite line of the movie was when Jeff Daniels said that the Matt Damon character would be fine with his supplies "as long as nothing goes wrong". I looked at my husband and said sarcastically "Gee, I wonder if something is going to go wrong", and wouldn't you know it, in the very next scene it does.

We have sworn off any future Ridley Scott movies, for good. He is obviously in cahoots with the Aliens sucking out all our brain matter.
72 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A welcome return to form for Ridley Scott.
MrDHWong15 October 2015
The Martian is a science fiction film starring Matt Damon and directed by Ridley Scott. I'm a big fan of Ridley Scott's work as a director, but I feel that most of his recent films have been very hit and miss. However, The Martian serves as a firm reminder as to why I am a fan of him in the first place. Not since Interstellar have I seen a sci-fi movie this thought-provoking or cleverly written.

After an intense sandstorm devastates a manned mission to Mars, the crew are forced to abandon the desolate planet and astronaut Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is presumed dead and left stranded. Unbeknownst to the crew, Watney survived, albeit injured from the storm, and tries to find ways to survive the inhospitable climate of the red planet. Being a botanist, Watney figures out how to grow food for himself out of the crew's leftover vegetable supplies and uses his scientific knowledge to create water using hydrogen crystals and oxygen from the crew's base camp. However, these supplies can only sustain him for a matter of months as a rescue mission from Earth will take 4 years to reach him. Watney must find a way to signal back to Earth that he is alive and is in urgent need of rescuing before he runs out of food and water.

Despite its somewhat bleak tone of survival in a hostile terrain, the film still manages to have its fair share of funny and heartwarming moments, which are seamlessly intertwined into the film's more dramatic scenes. Matt Damon is perfectly cast as the wisecracking, yet intelligent astronaut Mark Watney and his positive attitude toward his survival is what keeps us invested in the story. The rest of the cast are great too, which includes Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kate Mara, Jessica Chastain, and even Donald Glover from Community. I was also particularly pleased with the film's pacing, there was never a moment that felt rushed or slow and boring. This is a welcome return to form for the legendary director Ridley Scott.

I rate it a solid 9/10.
131 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A smart, nearly flawless sci-fi.......
SumanShakya31 March 2016
Science fiction has been one of the genres churned out many times, most turning into capers with few exceptions like Apollo 13 or Gravity. "The Martian" isn't a caper nor does it delve into the sentimentality of "Apollo 13" or "Gravity." It's simply a clever and entertaining sci-fi drama that contemplates the scientific facts meticulously. The story seems more for pleasing the crowd rather than accomplishing a rich literary work; but whatever it does seem flawless and detailed for which the film becomes gripping throughout despite its over length. Based on a novel of the same title, the film pretty enriches your knowledge on astronomy for which it can serve a very good resourcce. Matt Damon in the title role steals the show using much of wit to his role, avoiding sentimentality, and above all, tries something different than the desolation portrayed by Tom Hanks in Cast Away or Leonardo Di Caprio in "The Revenant." His role is pretty fun filled and amusing; a memorable performance he has given in recent years after 'The Departed." A superb narration, brilliant camera work, and a nice performance definitely make it a smart and entertaining movie of the year though the subject and treatment might not feel a regular Oscar worthy material.

Rating: 2.5 stars out of 4
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Going Mars is now fun
asgarhaider86 January 2016
The movie started just like any other adventure movie. The trailer promised a really intriguing story line. This movie is based on a book and for me many things were made differently than the book. Matt Damon was usual a perfect choice for the role. He had to portray the struggle and willingness to survive alone in an absolutely no mans land. I liked the acting of everyone but the plot line was not very interesting. It was very common and obvious that the crew who left him will go and save him at some point and everything will be alright at the end. I watch the 1080p version (i think) and the VFX was magnificent and was true to the story. All in all, it was a good time pass movie, not at all boring and fun to watch
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst thing about this movie
veravangroos2 November 2015
Spoilers below.

The worst thing about about this movie was that everything is so hard to believe because it's such nonsense. It doesn't follow basic physic laws. It doesn't take much to get me invested in a movie as a viewer, but this just goes too far. The absolute worst flaw is not even all the fake science, nor I'd it the overuse of disco music or the fact that the astronaut doesn't really get desperate and only makes cheesy jokes... No, it's the fact that China's space program has some secret spaceship which they want to reveal and give up for the eyes of the world to save one unknown American dude. That just doesn't make any sense. First of all, China could care less, also, why give up a rocket on which you've been apparently working in secret, just to send food up to space? And if all this would happen for some strange reason... America responds with 'ok. I see. Thank you'. Hangs up and goes ' yessssssss.' Idiotic.
187 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.