Abgeschnitten (2018) Poster

(2018)

Finally a deserving Fitzek adaptation
tanjareen-112 October 2018
I just came back from the cinema and we saw "Abgeschnitten" as part of my Birthday gift. What can I say? It was finally the adaptation Fitzek deserves. As the best german thriller author there is, Fitzek already has a pretty cinematic way of writing. So I was stunned that movie adaptations of his material never quite seemed to work.

"Abgeschnitten" breaks this cycle. We were at the edge of our seats because we couldn't remember how the story turned out since it's been a couple of years that we read the book. So we really really were eager to find out and every step of the way was tension filled and at times quite creepy.

The story moves along at a nice pace and never gets boring. The gore is sometimes quite graphic but always serves the story and its origin (Fitzek wrote this one with pathologist Michael Tsokos). Bleibtreu is likeable as always but Jasna Fritzi Bauer holds her own. The whole movie is cast pretty well. Fahri Yardim even brings some needed comic relief at times. Because don't get me wrong: This is a good movie but not a lighthearted one.

The look and feel of the movie are elevated and I was pleasantly surprised by the good script. Even though I am german myself the dialogue in german movies can often feel quite wooden and bothers me. "Abgeschnitten" avoids this and many other traps of german filmmaking.

I definitely recommend this one if you are in the mood for a mysterious and creepy Thriller.
44 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cut off? Cut lose
kosmasp3 May 2019
Once in a while a really good german thriller comes along. A thriller that is up there with other european movies that have done justice to the genre (no pun intended). Moritz Bleibtreu is one of the german actors (actually generally speaking) of his generation. He doesn't always have the script to prove that or show it, but here he has something to put his teeth into and really go to town with the movie.

His costars are good too, which is imperative. Even if you may think it is not necessary for a thriller, you can feel the weight here and you can feel the tension. Since I haven't read the source material (novel), I do not know how close of an adaptation this is. I do know that this is really good though and it will have you guessing and at the edge of your seat!
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The brutality still resonates
Phil_M_A_Kerr11 June 2019
When I was trying to be an actor many years ago the director said to me, "We've got to take you out of your comfort zone!" I hated the saying then and I still hate it HOWEVER this movie definitely did just that. It wasn't just a punch to the guts, it was a punch to the soul. The brutality is relentless upon the living and the dead. It was 2 hours of dread. There was jokey banter in the film but I was always in a spin, I just couldn't laugh. Do I recommend this film? Firstly, this film was rated R18+ and was part of a German Film Festival. I thought to myself, "thank Christ for the ratings system". There are high production values and the acting is excellent. The non-CGI special effects (remember those?) were the basis of the film's brutality. My lasting reaction to the film is probably a testament to the skill and intricate knowledge behind those SFX. I won't discuss the film's 'suspense/thriller' plot because, as I may have already mentioned, it is the pulsating brutality within the story that has stayed with me. So much so that the plot is to some extent a moot point. Respectfully, I cannot recommend the film. I provide my review to help a potential mature viewer to decide.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pulling you into it more and more.
gothic-fiction24 November 2019
So definitely and by far this is not a perfect movie, yet it was a thrilling ride, with many unexpected turns and a satisfying ending.

European cinema is growing more and more, after showing some great horror examples, lately the thriller part is starting to develop nicely, thus I am sure we're going to be top notch in a few... well decades I perhaps. So ok, Asian cinema is great on its own, Europe just needs to develop its own traditions, ways.

Examples like Cut Off and The Guily clearly show the potential, thus I feel obliged to recommend this one. Sure, it may seem a tad bit too long at times but overall I think it was an captivating ride. It sort of reminds me of The Call or Kidnap, great style and substance, in smaller such productions.

Cheers!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very solid exciting thriller movie
scorefax26 October 2019
Very stable and solid exciting thriller movie with a decent amount of brutality which is shown in a very graphic way. Some nice twists, a good portion of humor, good choice of german actors imho, Just a very solid and reliable 7 I would say, nothing really special or outstanding though that would make it a 8 or higher.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thriller on Helgoland
peter-spengler25 October 2019
I am German and I don't like German movies in general. Hence this one I liked. Decent film shot on Helgoland during a storm. Storm-lashed island, mortuaries, abandoned villas, boathouses... Borrowing from the movie night shift and many serial killer movies. Good likeable actors. Based on a Fitzek story, the German bestseller author.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
real triller
arosu-951668 December 2019
Great suspense movie until last moment, action keeps you on the edge the whole time
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does Moritz need money?
ntncnm19 October 2019
Crap, HUGE crap.

Waste of time, waste of money and completely bullsh story.

Don´t know where the good ratings come from, just a plan stupid movie.
8 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christian Alvart may be the worst Director in Cinema today.....
wick2715 February 2020
............not exactly at the pinnacle of his profession.

Wanna see an example of horrible directing? Watch Pandorum for no other reason, and then put your head in a vice and start squeezing that trash from your memory forever.....
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.