Allied (2016) Poster

(2016)

Very enjoyable with a tight script
Top_Dawg_Critic14 July 2017
I'm not a big fan of these WW-type films, any only decided to watch it as I'm a Brad Pitt fan. Well I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! The chemistry between Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard was convincing as they played their characters exceptionally. The winner here is the directing and writing - executed perfectly with great cinematography and editing. The pace was a little slow but the excellent ending made up for it! Very enjoyable and it's a 8/10 from me.
34 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gorgeous film-making
thomascosgrove2 June 2018
A very enjoyable film with beautiful cinematography and excellent performances. The overall production values are excellent, as you might expect from the headline talent. The story poses a unique premise and keeps you hooked until everything is revealed in the end.

In an age where special effects have taken over, it's refreshing to watch a film that mainly cares about characters and complex human situations. Yet for anyone wanting to see war action, you'll get plenty of that as well.

The stars themselves and the costumes all look stunning. Yes almost too stunning at times, but it's so glorious to look at you can forgive the film-makers for that. Some ridiculous negative reviews prevented me from seeing this in theatres, which I now regret. Tosh from Marvel keeps scoring high on RT, but then you see it and it's complete garbage about crystals (every movie, seriously). Films like Allied deserve more serious attention.

Overall, well worth a look!
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising
ilovedavii24 November 2016
I had high hopes for this movie because of Robert Zemeckis, Brad Pitt, and Marion Cotillard. I definitely went into it prepared for a WWII movie, full of action and special effects. And to be clear, this movie certainly DOES have action and special effects (what Zemeckis film doesn't?), but it goes beyond that.

The actions scenes, when they do happen, are well choreographed and fun to watch. They also earn the movie it's rating, and are brutal but not overbearing. Marion and Brad are both convincing, proving to the audience that they are well- trained spies who don't hesitate to kill.

Something I found very interesting about this movie is that while it's not primarily a war film, it did provide a very interesting look at what life was like for people. This was a time when people partied like the world was ending. Drinks, drugs, sex, etc. But this was also a time when people sometimes watched planes get shot out of the sky. It's a fascinatingly personal way of portraying the war, and the people living through it.

The special effects are stunning, Zemeckis seamlessly blending reality and effects. Many scenes are simply breathtaking. It's puzzling how the movie manages to be both classic and modern.

As I mentioned though, this movie is more than just war and special effects. By the end, there are a few clear themes; putting what's best for those you love above your own needs, and trying your hardest to believe the best of/trust those closest to you. Even if it means you have to break some rules, or even put your own life on the line.

The ending, which some say is overly-sentimental, hit a chord that worked for me. It showed the lengths people go to to protect their family. However people complain about the Forest Gump ending, and that one makes me cry almost every time I see it. So if I'm in the minority here, I'm not at all surprised.

One last thing that I thought this movie did very well, was showing just how difficult it would truly be for spies to fall in love. For the first half of the movie, the two are basically brought together and drawn to each other because of their abilities. They live, supposedly, very similar lives. They are evenly matched. They fit together in every sense because of their mastery of espionage. And yet, once the twist comes along, that same mastery of espionage is what tears them apart. Marion's ability to lie, once a great asset, is now their greatest enemy. It's a wonderful way to weave the story together, and makes for some excellent tension as well as irony.

Overall, Allied is absolutely a mix. It has espionage, it has war, it has assassinations, it has parties, it has family, it has romantic/steamy (quite steamy, might I add) moments, it has costumes and scenery, it has a mystery to be solved, etc. And some of these things it does magnificently. Some of these things it does just well-enough. But it does it all. Which is more than can be said for most movies these days.

This movie certainly deserves the R rating. There is nudity, multiple sex scenes, a decent amount of violence, language, drugs.

If you are a fan of classic movies, watch it. Is it perfect? No, it certainly has weak points and flaws. But overall I was thoroughly entertained by it. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and I will definitely be buying this on Blu-Ray, hopefully with lots of insight into how this film was made and what technologies Zemeckis used.
254 out of 338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves better than 7.1 for sure
adel-sherif1039 July 2020
Movie doesn't only have an interesting story but also have beautiful scenes and frames. Brad Pitt's preformance can not go unnoticed. The movie is able to capture intensity of being a spy.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classy story of war, spying, love and family
dierregi1 December 2016
A Franco/Canadian secret mission is an unusual twist for a WWII story. This and the setting of the first part of "Allied" reminded me of "The English Patient". Canadian Max (Pitt) is sent to Casablanca for a dangerous mission. Marianne (Cotillard) is the French agent already in place to help him.

Out of the desert and in London, "Allied" moves into a different territory, albeit still with plenty of style. Max and Marianne's wartime romance in exotic settings turns into a real family, but doubts arise about Marianne's identity.

London during the war as the main setting for two thirds of the movie looked very realistic. I did not mind what could be the historical inaccuracy of the Blitz, because the bombing added a layer of drama to the story.

I particularly liked the scene during the party, with Sing, Sing Sing playing in the background. It is a slightly menacing tune and it complemented perfectly the atmosphere of tension, suspicion and slight desperation.

Even if I have never been a Brad Pitt fan, he did a good job playing quiet Max, a man of a few words who sees his new world disintegrating. One can easily imagine him as a long-term bachelor falling for the beautiful, brave French partisan. Cotillard was also convincing as the ambiguous "femme fatale". Contrary to what some reviewers wrote, plenty of chemistry between the two, but also tenderness.

If you like movies with a solid plot, linear storytelling, believable characters, difficult choices, great costumes and soundtrack, then you should like this.

P.S. couple of remarks: Pitt's French was not the best and no way he could have passed for Parisian, but that did not bother me too much. The final scene is a couple of minutes too long, but again, not a major problem. However, what a relief to follow a good plot without the zig- zagging in time, overused but often useless editing style.
64 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wartime romance that could have been epic, but didn't quite make it
TheLittleSongbird30 November 2016
'Allied' has garnered a mixed reaction, on IMDb and with critics in general. This is completely understandable, and the mixed reaction and the reasoning for it mirrors my own feelings for the film. 'Allied' is not a bad film, but from seeing the trailers (which strongly suggested a film that would be more epic, more moving and more thrilling) to be honest was expecting a lot more.

There is a lot to like about 'Allied'. Visually, it is a gorgeous film. The cinematography is rich in atmosphere and colour and is quite poetic too, while the sets, scenery and costumes are evocative and eye-catching. The music by Alan Silvestri is neither too intrusive or too low-key, instead stirring when it needs to be and understated again when needed. There are some thrilling and harrowing moments as well as some poignant ones in the more intimate scenes, personally thought the controversial ending was quite emotional but can definitely see why it won't work for some.

Marion Cotillard gives a nuanced and deeply felt turn, nothing short of sensational. Brad Pitt's performance has been criticised (as well as defended), to me it was appropriately stoic, despite his character being nowhere near as meaty as Cotillard's, and he was a worthy partner for Cotillard, a little cold in places but mostly fiery. The supporting cast are fine.

On the other hand, the script and pacing are uneven. The script is 'Allied's' biggest flaw, lacking plausibility in places, especially in the mission scenes, having too much padding that's overlong and adds little to nothing and some of the parts intended to be emotional laid it on too thick with the treacle and sentimentality. Much more could have been done with the psychological subtext, which would have made Pitt's character more interesting and given the story more consistent suspense and thrills.

Pacing does drag badly frequently, primarily due to having superfluous scenes that lacked momentum and went on too long and also due to Robert Zemeckis' quite disappointing direction. There are moments, but it is a case of getting the job done but in a workmanlike and tame fashion, not the thrills and cleverness one expects from Zemeckis that is present in the best of his work.

In summary, had potential to be epic as a wartime romance, but doesn't quite make it. Many great things, but a few big things that got in the way of fulfilling full potential. 6/10 Bethany Cox
165 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I Expected
j1stoner27 November 2016
You may have seen the preview for this movie; I would say that that does not fully prepare you for the actual movie. It is a movie that will appeal to adults, both men and women, and it includes romance, sacrifice, and plenty of action and spy hi jinks.

A very good script, with some great plot turns, and superior acting from both Marion Cotillard and Brad Pitt in complex, challenging roles. My favorite bit: when they make love in a car in the Moroccan desert with a sandstorm going on all around them. It is a good metaphor for their love story in the midst of the great chaos of World War II. And it has a realistic feel, for the most part--for the sets in Casablanca (some good homage to the Bogart film, I would say also some Brando homage in parts of Pitt's performance), and the time back in the UK (second favorite bit is during a party in London). One does get the sense of the all-out effort demanded to win the war, something we do well to commemorate in these days when the last veterans of that most epic event in history are at death's door.

It is a Zemeckis film, from the school of film-making of Steven Spielberg, and that means your emotions are subject to the whim and whimsy of the director's manipulation. Sometimes you are aware of that, but oftentimes you are not, and that makes it better (than, say, Forrest Gump).

I will take the movie as a whole and suggest Oscar nominations for original screenplay and both leading roles.
90 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I expected but a good film anyway
benjackson-4295230 September 2018
After reading the synopsis for this film I expected to watch more of a romance drama, but what I got was a wartime drama that kept you guessing about the plot throughout. The acting by both Pitt and Cottilard was on point throughout and the story was always engaging. It's a very good film with some great scenes which would be enjoyed by all
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love and Espionage in WWII
claudio_carvalho19 February 2017
In 1942, during the World War II, the Canadian spy Max Vatan (Brad Pitt) goes parachuting to the French Morocco to meet the French spy Marianne Beauséjour (Marion Cotillard) that is posing of his wife in Casablanca. Their mission is to assassinate the German Ambassador in a reception. They live together for a couple of days and soon they fall in love with each other. When Max returns to his base in London, he brings Marianne and marries her. One year later, they have the baby daughter Anna during a bombing. One day, Max is summoned for a meeting in the feared V Section with his commander officer Frank Heslop (Jared Harris) and a secret service agent that tells that they suspect Marianne is a German Spy. Further, they will give a fake order to him to confirm whether Marianne is a spy or not. If she is, Max shall execute his beloved wife; otherwise they will be both executed. What will Max do?

"Allied" is a good film directed by Robert Zemeckis with a story with lots of action, romance and drama. The awesome performances of Marion Cotillard and Brad Pitt with magnificent support cast give credibility to the story. The beauty of Marion Cotillard is perfect for a story in the 40's. The scenes are very well balanced with intense action, romance and drama. The journey of Max Vatan to find whether his wife is a German spy or not is outstanding and the conclusion is magnificent. My vote is seven.

Titles (Brazil): "Aliados" ("Allied")
31 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it in spite of what everyone else says
blanche-28 March 2017
Director Robert Zemeckis gives us some breathtaking moments in "Allied" from 2015. The film stars Brad Pitt and Marian Cotillard as Max and Marianne, two spies who meet on a joint assignment in France and fall in love. Mission accomplished, Max proposes. She is allowed to come to England and marry him, and they have a beautiful daughter.

One day Max's bosses call him in and say that they believe Marianne took the name of an executed resistance worker and is, in fact, a German spy. They order him to write down a fake message he will be given by phone, and if it shows up in transmissions the following Monday, they will know the truth. Then he must execute her. Max, however, has no intention of waiting until Monday to find out.

By no means is this a perfect film and yes, some parts are easy to guess. When you've seen 5000 films or more, it's not hard to know what's going to happen after certain scenes. The script could have been a little more interesting. I certainly didn't find it sentimental and goopy as someone described it. And what the heck is wrong with sentiment anyway? It was not, to me, overdone.

If I am being honest, I think the problem lay with the casting of Brad Pitt. He's a real honest-to-God movie star as they had in the old Hollywood, and I love him. But this is a role that should have been played by someone like Jason Isaacs or Tom Hardy or Tom Hiddleston. Pitt does not bring to the character the layers and depth which would have made this a richer film. He has the stoicism but little else. Also I found his face distracting - he's had injections in the bottom part of his face and it looks different.

Cotillard, on the other hand, gives a brilliant performance of an expert spy who falls in love with her temporary partner, sending her life into another trajectory.

Someone pointed out some modernizations that were off-putting. One was Max's sister as an out lesbian - highly doubtful in those days in England. The one I caught was the phrase "take it outside." It was like the Amelia Earhart movie with Diane Keaton where she says "cut the crap." Are these screenwriters kidding? A little more care needs to be taken when dealing with period pieces.

The special effects were fantastic and brought home the idea of how close in proximity the war was to the British people. The scene with the ambassador was excellent; but my favorite scene was the one in the desert with the car. Beautiful.

I recommend it. I thought it was well done and well acted, exciting in parts, and also poignant. To young people I say - don't be hardened to sentimentality at your age.
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something about Zemeckis
mrharrypaulson14 January 2018
I always thought of Robert Zemeckis as a hit or miss director. I hated Beowulf but I loved Death Becomes Her for instance. Allied falls right in the middle. An old fashion WWII drama and when I say old fashion I mean, musty, tired. Mr and Mrs Smith territory but with the major plus of Marion Cottillard. She is wonderful. Brad Pitt, who I love, looked like a special effect and being in a Robert Zemeckis movie I thought that he might be. Very strange. The simple premise of discovering that your spouse is not who you thought she was, opens a world of dramatic opportunities but there is something about Robert Zemeckis that makes me think he doesn't really care about the human interaction, no. he seems, always, much more focus in the special effects. Allies is no exception and in fact it has a couple of breathtaking visual coups. Unfortunately the actual drama left me completely cold.
65 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliché and underdeveloped
bulldog_645013 December 2016
There was no plot twist although there were several places for a plot twist. If you saw the trailer, you saw the movie. Also, the break from the period setting to give modern values with no point. The introduction of a sister to Brad Pitt's character, who is openly a lesbian. This would NEVER happen in the 1940s as homosexuality was against the law and they were greatly disdained by the public. It is a completely pointless distraction from the period setting. Another goof, German Army officers wearing Nazi armbands. I was beginning to think Quinton Tarantino made this movie. Another example of how Hollywood cannot make a period movie without sabotaging their own production.
178 out of 295 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning picture with a glamorous feel and great story on Romance.
subxerogravity28 November 2016
Overall,it's a pretty good movie.

I just love the style of the picture. Generally that World War 2 era has that glamorous style to it, and leave it to Robert Zemeckis to add that extra kick.

Although I've Seen better costumes but this maybe because Canada did not have the best uniforms out of the WWII crowd.

And that made this movie strangely interesting. The 1st movie I ever seen about Canada's involvement in the War. Maybe I have seen others but it's so rare that it makes this movie seem unique that the story is about a Canadian wing commander who falls in love and builds a life with a woman who may not be all that she claims.

Speaking of which, The best part of the movie is that drama. Though I love the art direction as it puts me in That WWII setting, the visual effects do a good job of placing you right there, but the drama coming from Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard's connection on camera. It's this connection that's the most important and makes the movie what it is, and the emotion baggage is well worth it.

So not much of a war epic or an espionage movie as I went to see if for but it's a great love story set perfectly and beautifully in a different time and place worthy of checking out.
52 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Casablanca It Ain't
cschultz-26 December 2016
The Academy Award-winning 1942 motion picture Casablanca has become a legend of filmmaking, almost a part of folklore, by being as perfect a movie as is possible. A triumph of cohesion, not a scene or a line of dialogue is wasted—every single word and frame of film points to the climactic scene in which most of the the cast is present, all plot lines are resolved, and all the picture's mysteries solved…and which many film fans have memorized and can recite, word-for-word.

Robert Zemeckis, the director of Paramount's Allied, apparently believes that by fashioning his film on Casablanca, some of the magic of the 1942 picture will rub off on his. It doesn't. And that's a shame, because if the picture were truly a sum of its parts, Allied would be a wonderful experience.

But unlike Casablanca, the individual scenes of Allied do not add up to a complete picture. Rather, the diverse parts of the movie look as if they've been snipped from other, better pictures, and cobbled together by screenwriter Steven Knight for Zemeckis to direct.

Zemeckis, originally a Steven Spielberg protégé and an acknowledged expert on older movies, gets into the spirit of Knight's script by designing and positioning his shots in a manner reminiscent of scenes from other popular movies. As a director, Robert Zemeckis has always been more derivative than innovative, and any viewer who's seen Algiers or The English Patient, or even Out of Africa or Gone With the Wind, will likely leave Allied with a sense of déjà vu, a nagging suspicion that he or she has seen has seen the picture somewhere else.

In Allied, a crack Canadian counterintelligence agent played by Brad Pitt parachutes into French Morocco during the early days of World War II and makes his way to Casablanca to rendezvous with a member of the French resistance, played by Marion Cotillard. Their mission is to do some spy stuff together and then scoot back to London. Naturally they fall in love. And that's just the beginning of a picture which stretches credibility more and more with each of its passing 124 minutes.

Allied is a triumph of production design and costuming, but that's really not saying all that much. Pitt and Cotillard are attractive people and they look swell in the picture. When you dress them up in the smartest retro-chic wardrobe and set them loose in the trendiest wartime nightclubs in Casablanca, they look as if they just stepped from the pages of the Giorgio Armani catalog…although during the daytime scenes they sport elaborate sunglasses which almost scream Hey, we're spies!

Which leads to another difficulty with Allied: The anachronisms. In any motion picture, authenticity is essential to maintaining a successful illusion. In Allied, that's where the seams really begin to show. Key sequences take place during nighttime German bombing raids over London in 1942 through 1944—yes, the movie does cover some ground. But nobody seems to realize that the last major German bombing raids on London occurred fairly early in 1941, before Hitler turned east and attacked the Soviet Union.

But that's incidental to a picture in which World War II is little more than a plot device to enable the characters to participate illogically in exciting adventures. At one point, for narrow personal reasons Pitt's character steals an RAF airplane and dashes off to occupied France, and then promptly upon arrival accidentally instigates a melee between the French resistance and German soldiers.

In the very next scene, Pitt astonishingly appears back in London looking somewhat the worse for wear—exhausted and stylishly disheveled, but without an explanation of what happened to his companions in France or how he got back to England in such a big fat hurry. In reality, had the officer made it back alive he'd undoubtedly have been court-martialed. Pitt's character apparently works for an especially casual branch of the wartime military.

And in fact, Pitt's performance begins and ends with his physical appearance and his costuming. The actor looks properly dapper and dashing in his military uniform, and his formal attire and civilian clothing are stylish. But any real attempt at characterization seems to have been left behind either in Pitt's dressing room or in the supermarket tabloids.

Marion Cotillard, a genuinely talented actress who received an Academy Award for her performance as Edith Piaf in 2007's La Vie en Rose, reads her lines—especially the occasional subtitled French-language dialogue—with spirit and conviction. But she seems distracted, as if she's trying to remember somewhere else she's supposed to be.

In one early scene, Pitt's character is described by Cotillard as a poker-playing expert. As a test, a German agent gives Pitt a deck of cards to shuffle. After a brief pause to gain suspense—Can he do it?—Pitt's character spends the next minute or two performing card maneuvers mesmerizing enough to make Houdini proud.

But the filmmakers don't even bother to create the illusion that it's Pitt performing the tricks. Only in the last shot of the scene, in which the actor himself performs one clumsy little shuffle, does Pitt's face appear in the same shot as the cards.

That scene can serve as a metaphor for the entire picture. Essentially Allied is a clumsy diversion, a sleight-of-hand trick to distract the viewer from the fact that he's seen it all before, in better movies. Allied is a dumb movie masquerading as a smart one. If you want to see attractive people in stylish clothes and colorful situations, this is the movie for you. But if you want to see a compelling, believable drama about wartime romance, skip it.

Or better yet, just watch Casablanca again.
100 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keep the emotions real
ferguson-622 November 2016
Greetings again from the darkness. Every writer, director and actor dreams of being part of the next Casablanca … a timeless movie beloved by so many. It's rare to see such a blatant homage to that classic, but director Robert Zemekis (Oscar winner for Forrest Gump) and writer Steven Knight (Dirty Pretty Things, Eastern Promises) deliver their version with an identical setting, nearly identical costumes, and the re-use of a song ("La Marseillaise") which played such a crucial role.

Spy movies typically fall into one of three categories: action (Bourne), flashy/stylish (Bond), or detailed and twisty (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy). This one has offers a dose of each blended with some romance and a vital "is she or isn't she" plot. The "she" in that last part is French Resistance fighter Marianne Beausejour played by Marion Cotillard. Her introduction here is a thing of beauty, as she floats across the room thrilled to be reuniting with her husband Max Vatan. Of course the catch is that Max is really a Canadian Agent and their marriage is a cover for their mission to assassinate a key Nazi. Yes, it's 1942 in Morocco.

The two agents work well together and it's no surprise when this escalates to a real romance between two beautiful and secretive people. It seems only natural that after killing Nazi's and making love in a car during a ferocious sandstorm that the next steps would be marriage, a move to London, and having a kid. It's at this point where viewers will be divided. Those loving the action-spy approach will find the London segment slows the movie to a crawl. Those who prefer intelligence gathering and intrigue may very well enjoy the second half more.

What if your assignment was to kill your beloved wife if she were deemed to be a double-agent? Max finds himself in this predicament, and since no one ever says what they mean in the community of spies, he isn't sure if the evidence is legit or if it's really a game to test his own loyalty. This second half loses sight of the larger picture of war, and narrows the focus on whether Max can prove the innocence of Marianne … of course without letting her know he knows something – or might know something.

Marion Cotillard is stellar in her role. She flashes a warm and beautiful smile that expertly masks her true persona. The nuance and subtlety of her performance is quite impressive. Mr. Pitt does a nice job as the desperate husband hiding his desperation, but his role doesn't require the intricacies of hers. Supporting work comes via Jared Harris, Lizzy Caplan, August Diehl, Marion Bailey, Simon McBurney, and Matthew Goode.

The Zemekis team is all in fine form here: Cinematographer Don Burgess captures the feel of the era, Composer Alan Silvestri never tries to overpower a scene, and Costume Designer Joanna Johnston is likely headed for an Oscar nomination. For a spy movie, the story is actually pretty simple and the tension is never over-bearing like we might expect. While watching the performance of Ms. Cotillard, keep in mind her most telling line of dialogue: "I keep the emotions real." It's a strategy that is a bit unusual in her world. How effective it is will be determined by the end of the movie.
55 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie by numbers
lawrenceoneill29 November 2016
This movie has it's entertaining moments but is generally pretty bad. Totally lacking any tension the scenes are predictable and don't connect well to each other. The script is awful, almost laughable. The stereotypical British characters are embarrassing in a 4 weddings + funeral kinda way. The lesbian couple are pointless and seem to be thrown in there for PC reasons. Why does Brad Pitt turn into a mannequin every time he is introduced to people? The plot is full of holes...why did the German officer rush off to make a phone call instead of arresting Max Vatan?...why would 2 dynamic and ruthless killers be allowed to lounge around London for a couple of years? Surely they could have been useful in North Africa or Italy!...How was Beausejour allowed enter Britain, only for the British to later discover she was dead? So much for their Gibraltar station!...why, upon discovery, was she not used as a double agent, bearing in mind it was 2 months before D- Day? Now that could have been interesting!
115 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Duplicitous and Suspenseful!
RLTerry121 November 2016
Quite the duplicitous plot! Robert Zemeckis' Allied released by Paramount Pictures is a thrilling tale of espionage and love. We have certainly seen a few different "spy" movies over the last couple of years; some more about espionage and others more about the drama that ensues afterwards. Fortunately, Allied feels like a genuine spy movie that actually contains espionage. The production design and costumes are a beautiful throwback to the fabulous 40s. You'll find yourself reaching for a glass of champagne and swing dancing to Benny Goodman's timeless big band jazz hit Sing, Sing, Sing. There is one city synonymous with WWII, espionage, and romance and you will appropriately return to that iconic city of Casablanca in Allied. This is definitely not a reimagined Casablanca but there are indirect references to that movie sprinkled throughout this new story. Films like this one require top notch talent, and both Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard deliver outstanding performances to accompany this staple in film genres. Not limited to the love story between Pitt's and Cotillard's respective characters, the movie also includes some deadly shootout scenes and dangerously close encounters with the Nazis behind enemy lines.

Commander and intelligence officer Max Vatan (Pitt) is stationed in the famous city of Casablanca in French Morocco where he teams up with French resistance movement leader Marianne Beausejour (Cotillard). Impressed by her ability to so effectively blend in and create her authentic cover, Vatan soon finds himself falling in love with his partner. Following the assassination of a Nazi ambassador, Beausejour and Vatan flee to London to start their life together. Everything is going beautifully for the happy couple in their second year of marriage with a child when Vatan's superiors confront him with the suspicion that Marianne is in fact a Nazi spy. Refusing to believe it to be true, Max must now conduct his own investigation into his wife's history to protect the ones he loves so dearly.

I absolutely adored the look and feel of the film as it echoes the era of the Golden Age of Hollywood. Although this movie plays off a tad listless as a result of failing to elicit a strong emotional response from the audience, it is not without it outstanding elements. It benefits from solid acting and beautiful cinematography as well as some fantastic symbolism. Robert Zemeckis' talent for visual storytelling is clearly visible in this period film. The weakness in the ability to successfully leave a lasting emotional impact on the audience is in the writing and executive producership of Steven Knight (Eastern Promises). For films that are not as much about the spectacle as they are the drama between characters and the challenge faced therein, it is vitally important that the personal/interpersonal relationships transcend the screen and directly impact the audience. All the makings were there for a deeply moving cinematic story, but it just doesn't quite make that transition from the mostly superficial and distant.

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...(interesting fun fact: this misquoted line from Snow White is actually "magic mirror on the wall"). But, I digress. The strategic use of mirrors is an incredible use of visual storytelling and symbolism. For those who have studied film or literary rhetoric, the mirror is a classic means of conveying duplicity (two sides, faces, etc of a character). Even without knowing that this was a spy movie, I would have been able to infer that from how the mirrors are shot and placed within the composition of the 24 frames a second. When using powerful symbolism as part of the visual story, it conveys so much more meaning in a scene than words could actually describe. Mirrors have long sense been a powerful metaphor even before moving pictures. But motion pictures allow for a greater use of the importance it plays in a cinematic story. Not limited to duplicity, mirrors can also be used as a metaphor for self-reflection. Whether talking duplicity or reflection, the mirror aids in conveying so much to the audience in this movie.

Ordinarily, I am not a fan of classic films getting remakes; however, there are always exceptions when the core or essence of the film is held in tact but the production design, direction, and cinematography are brought up to speed with contemporary cinema. If you're a fan of WWII era films or the timeless spy movie, then you will definitely enjoy Allied. After witnessing the significance of Casablanca in this movie, I am actually looking forward to a remake if there ever is one. Provided. That the overall look and feel of the movie is in line with classical motion picture storytelling. I could definitely see Robert Zemeckis directing a remake of Casablanca. Occasionally there are directors who can strike the balance between classical cinematic storytelling told through contemporary technology, and Zemeckis definitely struck that balance in Allied.

Don't allow the weak writing to dissuade you from watching it; there is actually a lot to enjoy in this film. After the slow burn during the first act, acts II and III are full of intrigue and suspense.
49 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
visually stunning, broken story
mro-producer6 January 2019
As another reviewer said, the story offered places for a plot twist, but the writer or director failed to take up the opportunity. Through most of the film Marianne Beauséjour is the more interesting character. and once they move to London, the story is hers. She was conflicted, but we don't get to see much of this internal conflict -- rather the story follows the male lead, Max Vatan, played by Bradd Pitt. He should have been but a supporting role to her story. Once again, another film that could have been great had they worked on the script like they worked on the set design. On the whole, worth watching for the sets and setting, and the conflict with the Germans.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing and superficial
nickapopolis8724 November 2016
This movie seems like a long montage, you never feel engaged with the characters or the story as it races through plot points then plods through others. The effects seem dated, in that it's noticeably fake, which often draws you out of the story. Cotillard is strong, Pitt less so. The story itself has been done and and done better. The writing is a little lazy and predictable. One strange inclusion is that it makes a point of introducing Pitt's character's sister. She seems to serve no point and it feels like something is missing. As a (Southern Hemisphere) summer "blockbuster" it will probably fare well but when compared to some of 2016's more tense and visually appealing movies, like Norturnal Animals, it falls flat.
51 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing change - it's about the story and the characters
phd_travel5 January 2017
What an enjoyable WW2 movie. The tone and content of this movie is a right step in the direction of having the story and characters at the forefront in a Hitchcock way vs the violence of battle. There have been enough gut wrenching war movies concentrating on big battles and close ups on injuries so this is a refreshing change of perspective. Some action type WW2 movies have been getting ridiculous in recent years. In fact some of the best and most tense WW2 movies made in the 50s and 60s were spy movies that didn't feature too much fighting.

The story is suspenseful enough in it's own way. The 2 leads collaborate on a mission to kill a German diplomat in Casablanca. By the way they do look pretty glamorously fitted out. Then they fall in love, marry in London and start a family but she comes under suspicion for being a German spy. There are a couple of fight scenes for those hungry for that in a war movie but it's the relationship of the couple that is the crux of the movie. The production values are good with a purposely slightly artificially clean look. Although it has the color palate, costumes and look of an older Hollywood Golden Age WW2 movie it isn't old exactly fashioned.

A couple of slightly ludicrous plot points don't spoil the story too much. Like his totally whipped flight to Dieppe to ask the drunkard. Why didn't the people vetting her show her photo to witnesses who knew her like he was doing? There are some memorable scenes as well. The love scene in the desert storm, the birth in middle of the Blitz, are all quite unique in case you think you have scene it all. The ending wasn't too much of a surprise but it's good there wasn't some silly twist. A bit more explanation by her would have helped at the end.

Brad is alright - a little puffy in the face but his French accent isn't good enough to fool anyone. His makeup to make him look younger makes his face a bit stiff. Marion is suitable for the role and looks good in costumes of the era.

It's good that Hollywood is looking to the past for inspiration like in La La Land. There are so many good stories still to be told.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant movie
ewgers16 May 2020
Brad Pitt and the beautiful Marion Cotlllard cast as lovers ,in this touching tale based on a true story .Well worth watching The negative reviews are just complete nonsense
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard join forces, to make a decent romance.
TheMovieDiorama25 November 2016
The usual November World War II film, this year we have Allied which is all about an undercover couple who eventually marry each other but a certain obstacle is thrown their way...British intel believes that the wife is actually a German spy. Is the intel wrong? Is it love over honour? Well you'll have to watch to find out for yourself, but I do recommend you do so as this is a good old fashioned romance, with a hint of spy thrills. I must advise that you do go in expecting a romance, the trailers did market this as a thriller/action...it is not. Right, firstly let's get the obvious out of the way and say that Marion Cotillard once again steals the film. She really is a class act. She is able to capture emotion through her face and not many actors can do that (plus we finally get to see her speak a lot of French which is great for her). Brad Pitt was great, although essentially used to be the bankable star and to get viewers to watch the film (ignoring the current affairs of his love life), he could've been replaced by anyone. Due to the old fashioned style, this needs a great director and who better than Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump, Castaway and Flight). He is so confident and has such a fascinating nostalgic way of using the camera. Such good camera placement particularly during a scene that involves mirrors from a wardrobe to show a different character...very clever and I admire that. The script however was hit or miss. At times I felt that the script was captivating, I definitely became invested in the couple and cared for what happens to them. The only problem is, there are several scenes which do not add to the story and actually creates pacing issues for itself which is a shame. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of WWII period dramas but the production and overall environment for the film was excellent, I couldn't fault it. I won't spoil the ending but it did touch me and it was beautifully handled (although my partner actually did shed a tear, maybe I am emotionless after all). Overall, Allied was a decent romantic period drama with an incredible performance from Cotillard and outstanding direction from Zemeckis, although the script had inconsistent pacing.

• Review at: http://www.themoviediorama.com
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Subtle, romantic, beautifully crafted and acted
KathleenK2210 January 2017
My husband and I both enjoyed this movie. It had been a while since we had seen Brad Pitt in a movie and he is an accomplished actor. His costar was beautiful and talented. They made for good eye candy as a couple. There was plenty of action across two different settings and times. It was not predictable or spelt out for you which is often the case with American movies, The English seem to do a better job of allowing the audience to fill in some gaps and silences. It kept us interested and entertained throughout. Cinemaphotography was good with colours and weather helping with the mood and atmosphere.

For people who favour the spy genre set in wartime it is worth a few hours of your time. It is a serious film that shows that love transcends everything!
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How is this not rated higher
sunspot143415 May 2020
From the moment she said, "I keep the emotions real, that's why it works." I suspected she was a Nazi. That foreshadowing was the only clue. The movie should have won lots of awards and all those who watch it must visit Medicine Hat! Bravo!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good take on romance during wartime
aquascape28 March 2018
There is always much anticipation when Robert Zemeckis released a movie and while "Allied" did not win any major awards, it's still a good entry into Zemeckis' wonderful library of films.

"Allied" stars Brad Pitt as a Canadian intelligence officer and Marion Cotillard as a French Resistance fighter who were put together as a faux husband and wife in order to collect information against the Nazis in Casablanca during World War II. Eventually their relationship begins to develop and sure enough plans are about to change. The chemistry between the two was great and the scenes in which they were intimate were well made, high notes on the car in the desert storm scene.

It is labeled as a war film, but war is not the most important thing in the movie, as hope and romance stand out in Zemeckis' glamorous and graceful style, adding to it beautiful costumes and set-pieces.

"Allied" is a great choice of film when it comes to romance during wartime and a good choice to watch with the person special to you.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.