The Grudge (2020) Poster

(2020)

Who asked for this?!
burkholdermicah3 January 2020
Why was this made? Why did they think it was a good idea to remake this? Why does it take the plot of the original film and throw it out the window? Why does it look like an uninspired, totally predictable, and an overall sorry excuse of a horror film?! It's 2020, people! A new decade is already here... STOP REMAKING STUFF THAT DOESN'T NEED TO BE REMADE!!

So get this: it's a remake of the film that is a remake of the Japanese Horror film: Ju-On: The Grudge (fantastic movie, BTW) and they took that and made it into one of the most predictable stupid films ever. And it's already 2020, and I thought unnecessary remakes were outlawed (they should be). I don't even see who is the target audience of this film, and I don't see who will watch this film a second time.

Weak Storyline, Bad Cinematography, and Unnecessary Jump Scares makes this film not worth your money. What a complete disaster! TERRIBLE film!!
212 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd rather comb the ghost's hair for 100 minutes. It's only the 2nd day & my 2020 is already a horrible mess.
tomholland20162 January 2020
Here we go again... another Grudge/Ju-On/Kayako films that comes out in the month of January curse. The Kayako's curse really works on the movie, it is just awfully bad.

The trailer says it is a 'Twisted New Vision' to shift the plot into something new but somehow the director/screenwriter doesn't do his research, it's another horror movie done 100 times. The movie is also slow with no exciting details. Unnecessary dialogues further drag the movie with no developments. No interesting characters. Plot holes? Don't mention it. A lot. And the ending... oh my God. It's that another, 'Okay we did it, we defeated the ghost, only to realize later that the ghost is one step ahead of them and bam! End credits title shows up.'

However, some of the things are great. One of them is the lighting. It really feels very dark and ominous all the time. Second, the main girl who also acted in the Crocodile episode of Netflix's Black Mirror, she pulls it off excellently for a performance in a horror film. Finally, though jumpscares is a lousy technique, the final 30 minutes is full with effective ones.

Overall, it is a movie that you should watch only if you love any of the actors/crews involved in this film or if you love The Grudge series very much.
137 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked the horror scenes and movie very much but the climax..........
ShajahanSmart4 January 2020
I really felt great that the horror scenes are quite good and until the end i enjoyed the movie but the climax will end like horrible . It could have done better with some more story and good climax.
46 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its okay nice start for 2020 horror movie
abskiee-127445 January 2020
I don't know why people hating it?

Do a research before watch this movie Its a sidequel It focus on what happened to other people after the curse spread Geez people now a days are too picky
63 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't get all the bad reviews. Do these people not like horror movies?!
richardrisher-437806 January 2020
Is it the best movie you've ever seen or will ever see? Probably not, BUT that doesn't make it terrible. I thought they did a great job re-inventing this as an American haunting story. Super creepy! It has all of the elements of the original with some great, dark twists. To appreciate this movie, you have to enjoy just sitting back and being scared. No more, no less. Don't over-analyze it. Just have fun. If you liked the original at all, go see it. I'd watch it again.
49 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uncomfortably between the two ends of the horror spectrum
nicholast19903 January 2020
I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It's a really beautiful movie with some great effects, an excellent soundtrack, and a few script/editing issues that keep it from being great.

I think this movie (The Grudge 2020) falls into a weird camp. It's too "jumpy" for the A24 crowd of horror fans that want something more dread focused that inspires contemplation, but too slowly paced for the thrill seekers. It does both things well enough in my opinion, but it's not thoughtful enough to linger with you after the movie, and not thrilling enough to impress those looking for a shocker. Still though, I thought that the cinematography was beautiful, the soundtrack stood out to me as a step above, and some of the gore/violence was impressive visually. There's a crowd that would enjoy this movie, but I don't think it will find them. Hopefully it can find some attention as the years go by and people realize that this does some things very well, and is by far a much better movie than the 2004 US remake.
68 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horror Movie Garbage to start off 2020
Yee_Reviews4 January 2020
Good: There really is not much good to say about this movie except that the acting isn't awful from Lin Shaye and John Cho.

Bad: Messy writing with convoluted plot lines with time frame switches from 2004-2006, cannot focus on one story at a time. There is barely any story and relies heavily on jump scares. There are so many bland scenes and an annoying ominous score in the background to create an atmosphere but utterly fails. There are also random cinematographic shots that provide no purpose other than to extend the runtime.

Overall: This is one of the worst horror movies I have seen in a long time that is awful and entirely unnecessary. The plot clearly sat at a desk and is now only being produced to make a profit from a low budget. The story does not add up to much or provide any additional lore and has no significant themes. No entertainment value from this!

0.5/5
84 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All the negative reviews are right. And that's why it's good.
iainburns-8206611 January 2020
Cliches abound, but not because the writing is bad. They're all intentional and wrapped in great acting, a hypnotic score, and very well executed (almost surreal) cinematography. This isn't The Exorcist, but it is most certainly not Slenderman.
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little slow and not horror more of a drama and psychological tbriller
gustheaffen27 January 2020
I think the main miss and why people hate this movie is it is pimped as a horror movie and it isn't. It is more or less a drama / psychological thriller loosely tied to the original. But instead of rolling out the story you are backtracking events since we arrived in America. I think if people realized the genre jump it would have been received better. It is still creepy and dark but not true horror. I really don't understand the remake comments, it clearly wasn't even a remake or attempt to be, in hindsight after they wrapped up all the story lines it was much better than expected. It was slow though and not horror more psychological thriller. For a 90 minute film it was fine. And they could again add another movie.
39 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't compare and just enjoy.
hunterfolks3 January 2020
This new Grudge is a different take that offers some new elements while utilizing some already known things. Yes there are generic jump scares but the tone and sound make them work. Like other Grudge films it juggles different stories. This makes for unique storytelling that I really enjoyed. Performances were good and overall I had a fun time
68 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like
vcgomes2 January 2020
Very good movie recommend watching, the cast and directing too, have good scares and nervousness worth going to see.
44 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not like the original but it's own thing
fabianvillela2 January 2020
Where do I begin, the atmosphere is amazing has you on edge at all times at 2 separate times the hairs on my arms raised up. This movie is chilling and the few jump scares are done right. This is a faithful reboot to the great Ju-on movie and if you love the US remake you will love this one.
59 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you're expecting a full fleshed out ode to the original, it's not here!
curbicon3 January 2020
The Grudge remake presented here is one of simple structure and a tale of three stories. And it's a beautiful mix of bizarre and cheesiness. The cinematography is fleshed out in murky green coloring and darkened blood. The acting is nothing Oscar worthy but it serves it's purpose for the story. I liked this one! But I do wish the characters did more to believe the main. (Rating is Closer to a 7 than a 9)
55 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film
christiex-6500325 January 2020
Good movie :) definitely deserves a better rating than a 4 for sure!!
41 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has anyone here actually watched the original Japanese films?
dragonempress-1600614 January 2020
I'm someone who is just as tired of garbage horror movie remakes as everyone else, but the Ju-On series (the Japanese films, not the American ones) is one of my favorites, so I went to see it so that I could say that I sat through it and write an angry review later about how bad it was. It wasn't as bad as everyone says. The main issue that I see with reviews here is the comparison with the 2004 American remake. This film actually calls back more to the original direct-to-video "Ju-On: The Curse" and "Ju-On: The Grudge" than anything else, and people seem to have a lot of the same complaints with those as they do here. -Confusing, non-linear story? Check. -Slow, sometimes outright boring pace? Yep. -Schlock factor? In spades. -Grim, negative ending? Oh yeah. -Unbeatable antagonist? She's here too. But the thing is, these are hallmarks of the original movies. The first Ju-On film was made in 2000 on a half-shoestring budget and a camera that was outdated even for its time. Takashi Shimizu wrote it to be an answer to "Ringu," but with elements that scared HIM specifically. It certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea, but those who enjoy it completely unironically understand this film (the one that this review is actually about). It calls back, sometimes recreating shots, from both "The Curse" and "The Grudge," but manages to be its own film at the same time. It has a good concept: "What would happen if someone brought the Ju-On curse back to America?" And it, in my opinion, it nails this concept perfectly, bringing us characters who are completely clueless as to the nature of the evil that they're fighting against and often rendered completely helpless by their ignorance. As if anyone was ever able to effectively fight back in the first place. There are a lot of references to the origins of the Ju-On story, such as repeated usage of the number four. Four, in Japanese, sounds just like the word for "death" and is, as such, considered unlucky. One of the first times that the Ju-On spirit as we know her ever appeared was in a short film called 444-444-4444. In the 2020 film, 44 is the main protagonist's street address, people wake up at 4:44 in the morning, ect. And this trope is also inverted, using 999 as the police department's street address, a subtle nod to westerners' aversion to the number 666. A lot of the events in this film mirror the events in both "The Curse" and "The Grudge," which I thought was pretty cool to see in a modern, higher-budget setting. The scene with the Ju-On spirit hovering over the elderly lady, the character with their jaw ripped off, the infamous bed scene, and of course the murders that cement The Grudge House as the central hub for the curse in the film's location are all there, though slightly tweaked to give it the feel of both history repeating itself and a new set of circumstances playing out. I also thought that making the mother the original murderer this time was a nice touch, as you don't really see a lot of women brutally murder their children in media. I feel, though it is very predictable in some ways and sometimes comes across as almost silly, this film had a lot of affection and respect for its roots. The people who worked on it obviously loved the cheap, v-cinema drivel that was the original film. It manages, throughout everything, to have that unsettling atmosphere and the impressive camerawork that the original had, and the soundtrack was perfect. The end credits play in silence, the sound of the protagonist's final screams allowed to echo in you mind for a good minute before any music plays, and when it does show up, the song performed by Dead Sara is a wonderful thrill of noise. This film feels like a love letter to its predecessor in the same way Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan" serenaded Satoshi Kon's "Perfect Blue." It's good fun inspired by classic fear, in a way that only the biggest nerds of the genre will truly understand. This is a film that's going to pass through theaters quietly and with horrible reviews, but will be treasured by the hardcore fans for years to come.
76 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary
gontarek5 January 2020
The first remake that actually scared me a little. I had a 3D effect though. Every time a surprise scare would happen my hand would get grabbed and that scared me more.
44 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to all negative comments
Poasis5 January 2020
The movie is not so bad if you like previous versions of The Grudge. It is what it is The Grudge in american way. Besides it is a horror movie that is not a comedy (finally). Of course there are some things that should have been rewritten in scenario, but overall it is not a bad movie if you don't expect too much from it.
46 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally new reboot of the movie. Excellent acting!
bjkomon5 January 2020
I will be seeing it again, and will be buying it when released. This movie was like "the amazing spiderman" movies that totally trumped the terrible first spiderman trilogy. This movie was scary at times, but all around a great watch. It isn't based off any of the previous movies or actors and it was not "between " any movies. They referenced 1 image from the first movie for 1 second, and showed the old house (same few second clip 2 times) but before it burned down (meaning they ditched the first 3 movies altogether). This was an amazing First edition to hopefully another grudge trilogy. Again, the acting was amazing. Genuine people will love it. Fake people will bash it. They went into the movie assuming it would suck and they made themself have a bad time. Go in with a good positive attitude, and I'm sure you'll love it! Don't be a Karen.
47 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth Watching.
martinblackley26 January 2020
To be honest with you I didn't think the film was a bad as they said it was. I think Nicholas did a brilliant job. I preferred this to the Grudge 1 and 2 remakes.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Alright Horror To Start Off 2020
vengeance2025 January 2020
Caught a screening of this tonight & after watching thought it was decent enough, but no more.

The film is about a spirit which follows a young woman back to her home to which the spirit possess the woman to kill her family & herself too. But the house them becomes cursed & anyone who so much as enters never mind inhabits the home falls victim to the same curse the woman & her family did.

I found the film to be ok. But didn't like the choppy, all-over-the-place editing & story telling from 2004 - 2006. Saying that I did eventually understand by the time the film neared the end, but it was pretty convoluted & well... all over the place...!

However, it did have some sinister visuals & alright scares. The gore was a surprise given this is more of a supernatural horror film. But I think the obviousness in who the families were & the lacking of choppy editing would've benefited this film so much better. Given I hadn't seen the original Grudge Films it would've helped. Not to mention it's a slightly different generation for those who weren't old enough to see the originals.

Overall, I'd recommend a of this one. It deserves a watch at least once I think personally. The editing & story telling is on the all-over-the-place side, but it isn't really as bad as what people are making out.

7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesnt deserve a less rating! Loved the simplicity of the movie
hnamzhr17 January 2020
Loved the movie, it was simple and the jumpscares were very good! I dont know why people didnt like it! I loved it
33 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the negatives!
david-arnemann21 January 2020
I've read so many "Why?!?"'s and "Can't compare!"'s .... BS!

Go in knowing the story but leave your expectations at the door. This was a great reboot with a fresh take and a great cast! Not just a new twist but a well adapted rewritten story. Excellent cinematography and terrific new spin with plenty of jump scares and a few good laughs.

These negative reviews are a bit of haters and wannabe critics who love to hear themselves think.

Go see it, it's more fun than you're led to believe! I enjoyed it even though I was expecting a let-down. Can't wait to watch again at home.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie for GRUDGE fans
jack8118 January 2020
A well-made horror movie. People needs to understand, "GRUDGE" is a movie about curse that can't be broken. There is no happy ending here. The curse, not just tied to the house but it moves from one house to another as It follows the victims...
33 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Executed well. Not a fan of the series either.
treeeagles3 January 2020
I saw the first two grudge films and only saw this because I've seen everything else. The movie did a great job of building tension, bringing the pain with scares, and the directing and performances are great. The editing at times slacks but not by much. Overall it was a very solid horror film without oversaturating you with an origin story or a retelling of the curse. If you're an idiot who didn't see the first grudge or isn't familiar with the concept, don't jump off the roof complaining that you don't know what's going on in your reviews.
43 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overall a good film glad I watched after being hesitant
jlloyd-3147625 January 2020
This was a good horror movie , scary and suspenseful- not sure why it's only got 4 out of ten - people who don't like horrors should stop watching them and stop reviewing them - as far as horrors go this was good !! SIMPLE
37 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.