Cars 3 (2017) Poster

(2017)

Ignore all the bad reviews! This was a good movie.
mcain-260577 September 2017
** Possible Spoilers **

First off, I have no idea what these other reviewers are talking about with this "alternate universe" theory. The fact is this movies ties perfectly with the first one. All the same characters are in the movie from the first one and many references are made to Doc, so not sure how this thought came about.

This movie is essentially a version of cars where Lightning McQueen actually aged, meaning he is not the same age as in the first one. With age, especially in sports, comes new, and younger, talent. In this movie lighning McQueen is faced with this same challenge, new, younger, talent who are training in new, more advanced, ways. With this younger talent and better training methods (Lightning McQueen still trains like he did under Doc) Lightning is having a tough time competing against the new guys. He essentially has to make a choice, adapt with new training or retire. I won't go into the details of his choice as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

However, this movie was very good and, I thought, a fitting end to the franchise. Can you imagine a Rocky movie where Rocky never ages and just keeps fighting and beating everyone? No, and that is not how the Rocky series ended. Rocky retired and helped the new up and coming fighter. That is somewhat what happened here.

I can only assume the others making the reviews wanted Lightning to be perpetually young and just keep racing and racing and beating everyone, movie after movie. The writers wisely chose not to follow that formula. Yes, I will agree, there is a bit more of a story here than just pure racing, and perhaps that is what people didn't like. However, that didn't make it a bad movie.

I hated Cars 2 but I did really like Cars 3. It's not a perfect movie but also isn't what people are making it out to be. Give it a chance and I think you will like it.
84 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than Cars 2
mto106 June 2018
I thought the movie was pretty good throughout. My main problem with it was the ending. Lightning McQueen should've won his last race on his own, and in doing it the way they did, it removes the message of you can do anything you set your mind to.

Having McQueen mentor Cruz in general was a good idea, but the execution was poor. Leaving a somewhat disappointing ending for the Cars franchise.

One question I'm left with, how old is McQueen in this movie? It doesn't make it clear, although one can assume that he's been doing this for a long time now that one of the Cars grandfathers was able to watch him?

I believe the people rating 1* aren't giving the movie enough credit, although I agree with a lot of their points, such as what I listed above, it was still a good Pixar movie.

My Rating: 8/10
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An incredible comeback for the Cars franchise Warning: Spoilers
There will be spoilers...

Oh boy, where to begin.

I'll start with the elephant in the review section: The accusations of "sexism" and "political correctness". Yes, it's true, there is a female car in the film who happens to be a talented race car. The horror!! Look, I get it. I hate having a blatant agenda shoved down my throat. Ghostbusters, I'm looking at you. This wasn't that. Not even a little bit. If you think it was, well, what can I say. Maybe you should just go home to your bunker and watch Breitbart.

The bigger, and I think slightly more understandable, issue is that of the overall message of the film: our heroes getting older, and the end of McQueen's career as a race car. Hey folks, time marches on. People change, even our role models. If your kid can't handle McQueen passing the torch on to a younger, more adequate player, then maybe you should plop your brat in front of the TV with Cars 1 on a loop. News Flash: this is real life! It happens in all sports. Baseball, Football, Basketball, REAL RACING! Whether we like it or not, our heroes at some point become too old to do what they do. Progress happens. We improve. As a baseball fan, I see it every single year. Players we love go away, and new blood comes in. The message in this movie is exactly that. Kids need to learn from a young age that you can't have the same guy up there doing the same thing every day. Heck, if Cars 1 took place in the 1950s and was about the Fabulous Hudson Hornet, people would be complaining about a new car called Lightning McQueen. What an incredibly boring world it would be if Lightning McQueen always won every single race and no other cars came along to improve on the sport. He isn't becoming less of a hero, he's not being emasculated. His accomplishments aren't being diminished in any way. He's helping the next generation to become a hero too! And so what if that new hero is female? By taking this apparently contentious route, Pixar has opened up the Cars franchise to years and years of new material. New heroes will emerge and some will go away. I for one am delighted by this new direction. I was concerned with the let down that was Cars 2 that the third installment would be useless. It wasn't, not even remotely. Cars 3 is fantastic, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My 3 year old son, who is obsessed with McQueen, loved it too.
68 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
dinadriskill16 June 2017
There are so many disappointments with this film, I don't know where to begin. So I'll start here…first, the tag-line that, "you can't turn back time, but you can wind it up again" is not mentioned at all by any character in this film. As it turns out, Lightning can't wind it up again. **SPOILER ALERT** In fact, he is too old to finish the race and needs a young girl car to do it for him. Did Disney not learn anything from The Simpsons?? You don't have to age animated characters. From the previews, I was led to believe that Lightning would wreck, overcome his impediments to win the race and show us all that we can do anything we put our minds to. Instead, Disney, was so busy being PC by making a girl win that they actually WERE being ageist. When you pay to see Lightning win, and he doesn't cross that finish line, you have failed as writers. I will now move on to the poor characterization of Cruz. From the color chosen for her, her dialogue, her lack of humor or connection-she was flat.

Doesn't Disney have ENOUGH female heroes-heroines?? Did they have to retire one of the very FEW males-Lightning?? This was a colossally stupid decision.

I guess Disney did not consult any child psychologists-or anyone with children-to find out that boys like cars more than girls. They have effectively ended their franchise. I feel the fizzle out coming. So much for the next generation of Lightning McQueen fans-I doubt many girls are going to be asking for race tracks with Cruz for Christmas.
139 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
dawsanlackey19 June 2017
I warning you all right now SPOILER ALERT. So one might believe that this film would be about lightning feeling bad after his big wreck and wanting to train and work hard to beat the car that made him feel that way but no it's about him training while everyone is tearing him down with the excessive old age jokes, and telling him that he will never be fast enough to beat the car who caused him to feel that way in the first place but despite that lightning continues to train and failing at every point which by this time who would think he would see some progress but no it's quite the opposite he gets slower and the cherry on it all toward the end of the movie it's the big race against the character Storm so lightning starts the race after the first lap he quits and sends in this flat character Cruz to take lightning's number and finish the race despite the character Cruz has no racing experience and she magically beats all the new racers including lightning's rival Storm but it gets worse after the race lightning retires from racing(despite throughout the whole movie him saying that he will never retire) and lightning becomes Cruz's coach. It gave no closure to lightning's story and not to mention the character Doc is dead without any explanation but magically the truck that trained Doc and was older than Doc was still alive which again makes no sense. So to sum it up lightning retires and becomes a defeatist. Don't watch unless you want your kids to be disappointed.
78 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How awful this was
hunterwaldis27 June 2017
When Cars the original came out I was seven years old I followed the "trilogy" to where I am now 18 and let me tell you something... this was not how I wanted lightning to end his career I mean Jesus was this movie awful. I would rather have watched the big bang theory on repeat for the rest of my life.
73 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A HUGE DISGRACE!!!
allicat50318 February 2018
Ugh, I don't know where to start with this movie. It is a total disgrace to the first Cars movie and Disney/Pixar. They shouldn't have even made a sequel, let alone a threequel. It totally ruined the spirit of Cars. At first it, the movie seemed promising, but the trailer and the beginning of the movie were very misleading, for the following reasons. 1.) Radiator Springs is shown for a total of approximately five minutes at the most. 2.) It is NEVER mentioned how Doc died. Tears. 3.) LIGHTNING MCQUEEN DOES NOT MAKE HIS COMEBACK. I thought the Cruz Ramirez character was just going to be a little sidekick or something, but she STOLE Lightning's thunder. By the end of the movie, I was in TEARS OF FRUSTRATION. I know Lightning paying homage to Doc as Cruz's mentor was supposed to be heartwarming at all, but it failed. They hardly show any of Lightning's friends, and some of them don't even have lines! I'm even going to go out on a limb and say that Cruz Ramirez is a terribly ANNOYING character. If you are at all a true Disney/Pixar fan, and or enjoyed the first Cars movie, then AVOID this disastrous film with a disastrous ending. On a sidenote, the animation was amazing, but the storyline is just not worth it. I don't know how such a horrible movie could come out of such a great company. I can not express my hatred for the end of this movie ENOUGH! It's so depressing and disappointing.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I was expecting
elviratrevino16 June 2017
Not what I was expecting, *spoiler alert* franchise killed lightning McQueen, he never recovers to race again. Huge disappointment for my son, it was literally the death of lightning McQueen.

Lightning McQueen then goes on to become the youngest trainer in history bringing to an end his career as lightning McQueen. McQueen gives his position to a trainer that is older than the newer model Jackson Storm, she happens to be a girl. So my son is waiting for hero to pull through and then gets shot down by McQueen giving up. The spot McQueen gives up is won by a trick and not by speed. My son is not going to cheer for a new when the old is no more. Definitely early death of number 95. Very depressing movie. The trailer was definitely misleading.
110 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a huge turnoff. The hero became a quitter because of PC
renatoccg15 November 2017
IMDB is my source of movie infos for over 20 years. I've never made single comment on movies here. This crap had me making the first one.

As for a kid's movie, it is a good way to teach how to give up. Hey, if you feel you're not up to the task, instead of trying harder, step aside and let other people do the job for you. Then surf on their success. Everyone is a cute and special snowflake and even if it wasn't you to do the hard work, you still get a medal anway...

Way to go Disney/Pixar. Hard work probably never payed up at all;.. Oh wait!...

Kids have to see hero movies to get inspired. where the good guy is the underdog and accomplish his things through hardwork. The hero wins in the end, because he is tough.The hero doesn't give up. The hero doesn't keep his head down. Disney people would learn a bunch watching Dragonball.

The movie had potential. Gave 1 star because it wasn´t possible go negative.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
apart from good graphics, not much excitement here
musicislife-3740317 June 2017
I wanted to like this movie based on the earlier ones and took my kids... was I wrong, it was awful. The whole movie is based on the red car trying to get his mojo back because he's too old or needs work, and in the end he basically quits. And still gets called the "winner." I don't like to overly analyze movies or entertainment and will watch and enjoy things with any reasonable message about self-empowerment, until that entertainment tries to shove a ridiculous message at people --- defeatist. More or less inane level propaganda, and about how NOT to succeed at something at that. If you want to see a real comeback movie, and one that makes a little sense, just rent any Rocky. 1 through 7 (or whatever they are on....) There are tons of other good ones.
104 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please don't watch the movie if you liked cars 1
amananuj22 June 2017
In which movie does the main protagonist chickens out before the final showdown (boss fight or the race in this case) and says to his trainer that you have been training with me so you can go and win it for me.

The whole point of the movie is that Mcqueen gets to decide when he should retire and so he trains hard to beat the rookie and just before the final race he turns to his trainer asks her to race in his place.

F**kers i went to watch the movie expecting that it will be about a comeback story of Mcqueen and not how he is forced to retire.
83 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can this movie be anymore PC?
proishaanpuripro26 October 2017
All i have to say, way to completely ruin the franchise and take a dump at the mcqueen's legacy. Doesn't Disney already have enough female protagonists as it is? Yes, Cars 1 did great, Cars 2 was terrible, but cars 3 is horrible. I am honestly surprised to see that the third installment has got almost same ratings as Cars 1.

-Okay, lets begin. The movie is really depressing if we look it from Mcqueen's view, as it turns out the true antagonist of this sequel is actually "Age". Yes, he is getting old and can't win against new generation of cars, but that was supposed to be the whole point, a heroic comeback that old/previous generation cars still have it that no new cars have which is on-road experience. Didn't Doc Hudson won against a new gen car by outsmarting it? Why Mcqueen had to wuss out at the final race? Despite the whole emotional build up even after the Mcqueen's crash, the movie tells us that "Hudson was ready for a better comeback and he was ready to give it all after his major crash, but he never got the chance and eventually retired", but Mcqueen still has the chance, and what he does with it? He gives it to the female rookie racer and she actually easily wins by the end. It was her first race at the championship and she won. I don't get it why is it that the female protagonists always have it easy. Now, kids are gonna learn that and learn life the hard way. Sure, throughout the entire movie it definitely looks like he is gonna pass on the torch, but it is just pathetic he never had his final race because he accepts, he is getting old and can't win against new generation racers, and that's how it ends. Sure, Cruz Ramirez won at the end, but it was her win, not Mcqueen's because he has given up. Whatever happened to never giving up? Sure, he could have given up his racing career after that by telling the new generation cars that he still got it, but what the heck? The old cars feels so terrible in the entire movie after being replaced by the new cars and Mcqueen was supposed to be the light and prove everyone wrong. Instead, we moved on from training Mcqueen the new way to passing on the torch to a female rookie to show everyone ladies can race too. It is quite obvious at this point that they are baiting us towards a new sequel trilogy series with new female protagonist. Disney should be ashamed, first they ruined Star Wars franchise and now this, and i only blame liberals. You know what's truly the worse? If the whole theme was opposite, it was an old female lead feeling like giving up her race career and passing on the torch to a new young rookie and cocky male racer, then i would love to see the reaction of everyone.
25 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not nice at all... Disappointment
arjunbhagawati23 September 2017
We all expect our lead character McQueen to win or do something interesting every time but this movie is all opposite.... It's just about his retirement..... It talks about new generation racers who are better than the old ones.... Everything McQueen had is hopelessness... He loses all hope and hands over his career to a girl racer making himself retired..... he declares himself shower than the others and takes up a blue paint in memory of Hudson hornet and becomes a crew chief... Cars has always been my favourite Disney movies since my childhood but thus movie made me real upset...I was really not expecting this...... It is surely the worst Disney movie ever....
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment for Cars' fan children
cenaykarabork25 June 2017
My son was born in 2006, we watched first movie maybe a hundred times, and second one several times. Cars was like Star Wars for us. And 3rd movie? At the end of the movie my 11 years old son was so upset to see Mc Queen as a retiring loser car, he only said: "I'll never talk about Mc Queen, this is the end". Bugs Bunny does not get old, why did you have to retire Mc Queen so early? And we hate that yellow car, Cruz, it can never replace Mc Queen. Mc Queen is red, how could you turn it to blue?! This movie is a big disappointment, we'll try to forget it
65 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why
rsj_13129 June 2017
Even my son was asking throughout then entire 1 hour middle portion of the movie , "why aren't they racing, is he gonna race Jackson storm ...". I just kept saying yeah son eventually. Then it's the female that ends up racing in the end and my 5 year old son experience his first episode of disappointment and fraud. How do you explain to a 5 year old that it's politics and the moral of the story is no longer innocent heroic comebacks but now it's about equal opportunity and forcing ideas on young minds. Kids just want to see a good , animated race movie AS ADVERTISED!!! Instead it's 10 minutes of racing, and an hour and a half of training and build up that leaves you asking yourself... did this have to be nearly two hours long?! Garbage
63 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely not what was advertised. You lied Pixar :(
j-581833 November 2017
I love anime, video games and comics of all kinds. Disney, Pixar, you get the picture. My whole family is like this. I loved the original cars and thought cars 2 was good too. So when I saw the posters and trailers for cars 3, I thought hey! A cool looking comeback type movie. I was so disappointed, as was everyone else I know who watched this movie.

Lightning McQueen has been racing for a good 10 years and basically these newer, more technological advanced cars come along, beating everyone else. Lightning crashes ( not that this is paid any attention to) and decides to keep racing. But first he must retrain himself to get better, faster and all that. His new boss thinks he should just retire but Lightning convinces him to let him race once more. But he has to train with a new trainer called Cruz. She's loud, irritating and useless. Basically Lightning has to train her and spends the whole movie doing so. We also learn she wanted to be a racer but lacked confidence.

After going to his deceased mentors hometown, Lightning trains with all these old cars (with Cruz stealing the spotlight and getting upgrades whilst Lightning doesn't) but it isn't enough. So come the time of his big race, Lightning has not got faster, better or anything. He does pretty good in the race but decides to put Cruz in the race to give her a chance to be a racer. It leads to a terrible ending that just ruins the movie. Lightning is still declared a winner, along with Cruz, and decides to train her before going back to racing. It's a very safe, yay we're all winners, hey everyone look girls can race look look look!!! (Yes we are very much aware that we can Pixar) This forced ending hasn't sat well with a lot of fans and I am not surprised.

The good parts of the movie are the animation and music, so a star for those but nothing else.

The bad parts are:

The way Lightning is treated this whole movie. Because he's supposed to be over 30 or something, so he's portrayed as useless, age-shamed constantly, called past his prime and incapable of using technology. You can see this in how many of the cars, both younger and older treat lightning. They constantly tell him he's super old. It's sort of like semiotics, using imagery and speech to get an idea across. The idea here appears to be to make kids think Lightning is old and they need new characters. Pixar could seriously have done heaps to make Lightning better. I know that other cars throughout the series have had upgrades and mods to get faster and lighter so why not Lightning? This movie was marketed as a comeback movie. It's not. Lightning never races his rival or really trains or anything. He just looks after his useless trainer and gets made fun of. Pixar basically shoehorn him into becoming Doc when he was never even like him! And not everyone gets or becomes a mentor you know.

Next would be the whole attitude towards ages and genders throughout the movie. Old people are to be made fun off and can't use tech whilst young people love tech but cannot handle the outside. This is garbage! I'm just into my 30's and love technology. I love my consoles and iPad and everything. You'll see me in the gym as much as you would outdoors. The same can be said of my friends, siblings and their kids. It's rubbish this whole lazy or technology dependent millennial or gen z kid stereotypes.

Also Pixar could have had mixed gender characters throughout their cars movies, y'know more girl racers or ones who are ambiguous but no, they don't. This is their choice to not include others and now their throwing in one who feel like a cheap, Mary Sue, supposed-to be-girl-Lightning type character.

Next, Cruz. If she is to be the new face of Cars, i'm Done with this series. She the technology reliant hip 20 something who cannot function outside. She's supposed to be a super trainer but she cannot train Lightning at all. She a fitness trainer at most not a race trainer. She has to be given everything. Her win at the destruction derby was only got from Lightning protecting her, even her chance as a racer was given. Lightning and the other racers worked their way through training, races, the big leagues, everything. They were pros. They worked for everything. Cruz has some talent, does some training but that's it. Plus she only does half of the big race whilst everyone else does the full thing. That's cheap and cheating. What we need are female characters who can do it themselves, work for their career. Not half-ass their way everywhere.

The other characters in the movie are pretty forgettable and you see very little of the people from Radiator Springs. Sally would have been way better at coaching Lightning. It was her who got him to go back to racing in the first place.

And the whole movies plot just feels like a mess of plots from other movies (creed) the first cars, with too much crammed in or not resolved, complete with lame jokes and disappointment. Seriously, I look up the word disappointment in the dictionary and see a picture of Cars 3 and nothing else needs to be said. Cannot believe that this is the end to the Cars series. I mean you don't just ruin the main character of a series like this. When I play halo, I want the Master Chief. When I play Tomb Raider, I want Lara Croft. Not only that but this film grossed 100 million less than both the other car films and is no.17 out of Pixar's 18 films. That says something about this film alright.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than reviews say it is, worse than I expected to be
octubre198719 November 2017
First of all, let me get this out of my system: I've seen many 1-2 stars reviews out there. While I understand why those people are upset I think 1/10 is way too low. The movie isn't inherently bad, it's not a disastrous mess of burning oil like some reviewers make it to look. But it's not great either.

The movie is lighthearted, easy to chew and fun for the most part. I wouldn't expect more from a cartoons movie. But this is Pixar so of course I expected more.

I've got three major problems with this movie. First, the new characters are extremely flat and one-dimensional. The "new" younger cars are just jerks (all of them), there's no reason for them to behave like they behave but because they're the "antagonists" of the movie we need to feel mad at them I guess. So they're flat-out pretentious with zero background. The new sidekick of Lightning is also a completely basic character with an extremely contrived background story.

Second, the third act feels forced and unbelievably illogical (and yes I know I'm talking about a movie with talking cars). I can't really explain this point without spoiling anything but let's say the end isn't loyal to the movie's protagonist and the end is wrapped up in a very forced manner.

Third, the Mary Sue of the movie. I really don't care about overpowered female characters, I didn't even care about Rey in Star Wars. I don't care! But this new female sidekick of Lightning McQueen is just too Mary Sue to be true. Again I don't want to give away anything but I'm tired of that "you got something that you didn't know and now you're a hero", that's BS.

So, it's a fun flick but many levels below the old good Pixar.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking Ending...and not in a good way.
rws_203 July 2017
In this one, Lighting struggles to keep up with the new young techno cars on the circuit and has to go find his racing mojo. Along the way he meets a young racing car who is ironically his trainer, it turns out she is the one who needs the training from Lighting. Lighting teaches her his techniques, whilst trying to improve himself.

For me it was a bit of a poor excuse for a Pixar film, and the ending is probably one of the worst I've seen in an animated flick. It just feels so unfulfilling and so not like Lighting McQueen.

(If you do not want to know the ending do not read on!!!!)

In the end, lighting makes his return to racing after training in the off season. During his big comeback race, halfway through he decides that the car he has been training deserves to try and finish the race?

So instead of it being make or break for lightning, it turns into making a name for the young race car that he has been mentoring.

I think the ending will be Marmite for people, some will love it and some will hate it. I personally didn't like it at all.

Everything up to the ending is quite slow paced and a tad boring.

Sadly Cars is another franchise that has suffered through the making of sequels. Shame.
34 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PC crap!
adj-jarvis30 July 2017
Let me start by saying I love the Cars movie franchise, so when I first saw the trailer and the poster for this latest instalment, I was very excited.

To start off with, I was thoroughly enjoying the film and loved this whole Cars version of the Rocky Balboa films. It was great. They included Doc Hudson as a vital part of the story of Cars too, which I loved. Great character. Then comes along this new piece of crap, Cruz. I didn't like her character from the get go. Dull, annoying and about as funny as a funeral. Anyway, that was fine. Sometimes you just have to accept annoying, two dimensional characters in a film.

However, what I can not bare to see is PC bullcrap. It turns out that ***SPOILER ALERT*** rather than making this miraculous comeback after all his training, Lightening McQueen quits the race. He quits and allows his trainer, Cruz (a female character of course) to finish the race. Of course she wins, of course she is the hero, of course the camera switches to other female Cars characters celebrating (wooooo women empowerment!!!!!!). I am all for equality. I really am. But this is not the case. It is so in your face and as soon as Cruz took over from Lightening, I actually wanted to leave the cinema. They have basically retired lightening and made the new Cars hero, a woman. I mean, what is that about, seriously? completely goes against the plot of the film and basically b***h slaps its viewers and fans. "Hey folks, you think your hero Lightening, the character that makes the films, the character we know and love is going to win?! *B***H SLAP* NO! he is going to crash out and you now have a woman hero!!! yay pc guys, yaaaay!".

Literally ruined the film. Tell you what Disney, next time you want to shove some PC rubbish in our faces, write a whole new film and make the hero a woman. Don't dump on our old beloved heroes. Dicks.
35 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Destroys the aura of Lightning Mcqueen
zinc-525 June 2017
The first Cars movie is a classic that will be enjoyed for a long time to come. Cars 3 a has a few major problems. - We don't want to live in or know about whatever 'new reality' this movie has created, where Lightning isn't the fastest car anymore. We especially don't want to know that there is an entire new generation of cars that are faster than him. How depressing is that. - The movie has very little of the heart, soul, and humor of the original. It has a very different feel, with the 'next gen' cars speaking and acting like spoilt millennials. Jackson Storm is a nasty piece of work. - If feels like the point of the movie is to reinforce that 'girls can do anything' (like most movies these days). That's all well and good, but it's not what we paid money to actually go and see. We want to watch a movie about the movie's actual hero and main character, Lightning Mcqueen. And we want to see him win and NOT be depressed, old and slow most of the time.
79 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disgrace to the original Cars
Stinkelman18 June 2017
I am a huge cars fan, I absolutely loved the first movie, the second movie was still really good, but the first was a classic.

This movie was an absolute disgrace to the first two. The writers were different and they absolutely destroyed the atmosphere of cars. They brought in way to millennialist stereotypes and decimated the standard set by the first two movies. Things were misquoted from the first movie and characters were poorly developed.

Don't waste your time or money.
89 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and disappointing
markandrewrogers26 July 2017
My son and I have really enjoyed the past two movies in the franchise. We were, therefore, very surprised to find this presumably final outing to have little of interest or to amuse. I don't write film reviews but hopefully will save someone else their time and money... Flashy nonsense Straight to video!
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They killed McQueen! and put somecar else on the screen...
araujo_jrl30 June 2017
What happened?... Are they trying to shutdown some "old" franchises?... this movie is a total anti-climax, you go in full of expectations and go out trying to forget it... to keep the good old memories... it is sad... they completely abandoned the universe created in Cars 1 and 2 and all other spin-offs... they tried to do something new, a new perspective, but did not develop anything beyond a scratch deep... nothing makes any sense... no fun... no logical connection among story developments... I will try to forget it... but it will be though... in the end there is no hero left...
35 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Pixars worst films and lacked in story and humor.
cruise018 December 2017
Cars 3 was not my highly anticipated Pixar film since the second movie was just pure boredom. And this series has been running downhill and can never match the first movie which was cute and fun. This third film fails and bites the dust on the track with its sequel problems in lacking a creative plot, fun humor, the characters are no longer fun, and it was quite boring as well.

The plot did not stick out or did it made an improvement over the last movie. Which most of it was about the Nader the tow truck. The focus is on Lightning McQueen after losing a race with Jackson Storm. Who is a fast high tech car that reaches in 200 mph in seconds. McQueen spends most of the film trying to practice racing to face his opponent. Even with the help from Cruz, who is his trainer. They spend most of the movie racing through a desert track and beaches. Just so he can win the race.

The film was no longer fun and had fun humor like the first movie. I am sure kids will still enjoy it. But for adults it was a completely boring movie.

Overall, Cars 3 is terrible and a let down. Probably one of Pixars worst films to date.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought we would finally see McQueen win......we never will it seems.....
rsaurusrex24 October 2017
The movie starts with Lightning as a 10 year veteran in the racing world and at the top of his game. Then the racing board, for some reason, lets all these new hybrid cars force all the older racers out, except Lightning, who crashes. Months later, with no mention of his injuries or his trauma, Sally gets Lightning to go back to racing. After meeting his new boss, Lightning gets a trainer called Cruz, to help get him back in shape. But Cruz is clearly not a good trainer as she spends more time trying to get Lightning to name his tires, nap, goes overboard on the excessive age-shaming, and he ends up losing his temper.

Lightning makes a deal that will allow him to continue his racing career, if he wins, and goes to train outside but has to take Cruz, who is again, useless. He has to teach her everything and this goes on throughout the film, and she in no way does her job of training Lightning. He loses his temper with her and we find out that oh! She always wanted to be a racer but was told she couldn't and wimped out. Boo boo!

Lightning goes and visits his mentors mentor and this Smokey guy helps somewhat though the old cars from the 1940's take delight in pointing out how old and useless Lightning is, which seems very hypocritical, and Cruz is still incompetent.

Looking thoroughly disheartened, Lightning leaves for his race, starts in last place but works his way up to 15/43. Then he hears Cruz being told she's not a racer, takes pity on her, puts her in the race and she then annoys the top racer, does stunts and has Lightning talk all cutesy to her, then wins. They then basically retire Lightning.

This is a very basic description of what goes on in this movie. The trailers had us believing that this was going to be some sort of awesome, comeback movie. The whole "I'm coming for you, Storm" thing? Doesn't happen. Instead the movie is just a mess of various movie plots mashed together, rehashed plots from the first film, constant age-shaming ( seriously, they never stop calling Lightning old in this) and PC messaging.

The animation was good though and the music is decent. I did like the little flashbacks Lightning has of Doc, very sweet. However, they felt like a forced plot to get Lightning shoved into retirement for this knock-off character, who cannot even fulfill her job to as trainer to Lightning. But then this movie is really about Cruz and her being the new star of Cars and retiring McQueen. Yes, athletes can only do their thing for so long but McQueen is a fantasy character. Also other cars from the franchise got upgrades like full carbon fiber bodies, upgraded to gas/electric types, newer spoilers, exhausts and engine tweaks. Why not Lightning? (think of all the toys his new look would have sold)

Cruz didn't even earn her place as a racer, she had to be given it. Lightning and the other racer all went through all kinds of training, practices, races and worked their way up. She had some racing skills from her past and McQueen taught her stuff but she never works for her place like the others. I'm not sure this is a good message for kids, girls in particular. It's like saying just cruz, yeah I went there, through life and wait for someone to give you stuff. Don't waste time learning/knowing/working for something properly. The whole 2 cars winning the race is cheating. I know in real life a driver can swap with another, using the same car. Here though, the cars are athletes and so by switching in Cruz, that's just like a runner tagging in another whilst all the other runners do the whole race. Not fair at all.

Cruz could have been great. She could have been a phenomenal trainer, who knew the racing world on all levels and looked after Lightning, been the brains behind him, trained him on the tech and outdoors. Instead, being a trainer is shown as second rate and she's stereotyped as the younger, better, smarter, technology reliant gen z kid, who cannot function outdoors. Whilst Lightning is the "damn you kids and your techno whatnots. Get outside and play!"..... Bleh…..

The newer cars were all boys and this is Pixar's fault entirely. This is a fantasy world. It doesn't have to reflect all the nonsense in real life They could have had girl racers, boys, butch girls, pretty boys, asexual, etc. They could have made it so the Cars world already was all-inclusive, where they didn't have all these gender/race issues. Kids would see that it was normal to except everybody more if they saw it as normal in their media. But nope. Pixar can't do that.

Also, Jackson Storm, Lightning's supposed rival, is rarely seen and is nothing more than a mouthy, antisocial, gen z stereotype that just feels kinda meh as a character.

I know it's a kids movie and you're not supposed to look to much into it but when I went to see the film, no one was laughing, kids were upset, some people just left. My nephew and nieces hated the film. My friends and their kids also disliked it.

The only plus is that Lightning said he was only training Cruz for the season and then going back to racing. Maybe Pixar will finally listen and give us the real racing experience that we asked for, showing us champion Lightning. It's all fine to give stuff up for others, be kind and all that but you are also allowed to be good at something for yourself. To win/earn something, feel good and not have to give it up. Isn't that what part of life is? Oh well..
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.