Cars 3 (2017) Poster

(2017)

Ignore all the bad reviews! This was a good movie.
mcain-260577 September 2017
** Possible Spoilers **

First off, I have no idea what these other reviewers are talking about with this "alternate universe" theory. The fact is this movies ties perfectly with the first one. All the same characters are in the movie from the first one and many references are made to Doc, so not sure how this thought came about.

This movie is essentially a version of cars where Lightning McQueen actually aged, meaning he is not the same age as in the first one. With age, especially in sports, comes new, and younger, talent. In this movie lighning McQueen is faced with this same challenge, new, younger, talent who are training in new, more advanced, ways. With this younger talent and better training methods (Lightning McQueen still trains like he did under Doc) Lightning is having a tough time competing against the new guys. He essentially has to make a choice, adapt with new training or retire. I won't go into the details of his choice as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

However, this movie was very good and, I thought, a fitting end to the franchise. Can you imagine a Rocky movie where Rocky never ages and just keeps fighting and beating everyone? No, and that is not how the Rocky series ended. Rocky retired and helped the new up and coming fighter. That is somewhat what happened here.

I can only assume the others making the reviews wanted Lightning to be perpetually young and just keep racing and racing and beating everyone, movie after movie. The writers wisely chose not to follow that formula. Yes, I will agree, there is a bit more of a story here than just pure racing, and perhaps that is what people didn't like. However, that didn't make it a bad movie.

I hated Cars 2 but I did really like Cars 3. It's not a perfect movie but also isn't what people are making it out to be. Give it a chance and I think you will like it.
51 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please don't watch the movie if you liked cars 1
amananuj22 June 2017
In which movie does the main protagonist chickens out before the final showdown (boss fight or the race in this case) and says to his trainer that you have been training with me so you can go and win it for me.

The whole point of the movie is that Mcqueen gets to decide when he should retire and so he trains hard to beat the rookie and just before the final race he turns to his trainer asks her to race in his place.

F**kers i went to watch the movie expecting that it will be about a comeback story of Mcqueen and not how he is forced to retire.
79 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
D-Mom16 June 2017
There are so many disappointments with this film, I don't know where to begin. So I'll start here…first, the tag-line that, "you can't turn back time, but you can wind it up again" is not mentioned at all by any character in this film. As it turns out, Lightning can't wind it up again. **SPOILER ALERT** In fact, he is too old to finish the race and needs a young girl car to do it for him. Did Disney not learn anything from The Simpsons?? You don't have to age animated characters. From the previews, I was led to believe that Lightning would wreck, overcome his impediments to win the race and show us all that we can do anything we put our minds to. Instead, Disney, was so busy being PC by making a girl win that they actually WERE being ageist. When you pay to see Lightning win, and he doesn't cross that finish line, you have failed as writers. I will now move on to the poor characterization of Cruz. From the color chosen for her, her dialogue, her lack of humor or connection-she was flat.

Doesn't Disney have ENOUGH female heroes-heroines?? Did they have to retire one of the very FEW males-Lightning?? This was a colossally stupid decision.

I guess Disney did not consult any child psychologists-or anyone with children-to find out that boys like cars more than girls. They have effectively ended their franchise. I feel the fizzle out coming. So much for the next generation of Lightning McQueen fans-I doubt many girls are going to be asking for race tracks with Cruz for Christmas.
115 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I was expecting
elviratrevino16 June 2017
Not what I was expecting, *spoiler alert* franchise killed lightning McQueen, he never recovers to race again. Huge disappointment for my son, it was literally the death of lightning McQueen.

Lightning McQueen then goes on to become the youngest trainer in history bringing to an end his career as lightning McQueen. McQueen gives his position to a trainer that is older than the newer model Jackson Storm, she happens to be a girl. So my son is waiting for hero to pull through and then gets shot down by McQueen giving up. The spot McQueen gives up is won by a trick and not by speed. My son is not going to cheer for a new when the old is no more. Definitely early death of number 95. Very depressing movie. The trailer was definitely misleading.
101 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
Joshua19 June 2017
I warning you all right now SPOILER ALERT. So one might believe that this film would be about lightning feeling bad after his big wreck and wanting to train and work hard to beat the car that made him feel that way but no it's about him training while everyone is tearing him down with the excessive old age jokes, and telling him that he will never be fast enough to beat the car who caused him to feel that way in the first place but despite that lightning continues to train and failing at every point which by this time who would think he would see some progress but no it's quite the opposite he gets slower and the cherry on it all toward the end of the movie it's the big race against the character Storm so lightning starts the race after the first lap he quits and sends in this flat character Cruz to take lightning's number and finish the race despite the character Cruz has no racing experience and she magically beats all the new racers including lightning's rival Storm but it gets worse after the race lightning retires from racing(despite throughout the whole movie him saying that he will never retire) and lightning becomes Cruz's coach. It gave no closure to lightning's story and not to mention the character Doc is dead without any explanation but magically the truck that trained Doc and was older than Doc was still alive which again makes no sense. So to sum it up lightning retires and becomes a defeatist. Don't watch unless you want your kids to be disappointed.
69 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
apart from good graphics, not much excitement here
JT Adam17 June 2017
I wanted to like this movie based on the earlier ones and took my kids... was I wrong, it was awful. The whole movie is based on the red car trying to get his mojo back because he's too old or needs work, and in the end he basically quits. And still gets called the "winner." I don't like to overly analyze movies or entertainment and will watch and enjoy things with any reasonable message about self-empowerment, until that entertainment tries to shove a ridiculous message at people --- defeatist. More or less inane level propaganda, and about how NOT to succeed at something at that. If you want to see a real comeback movie, and one that makes a little sense, just rent any Rocky. 1 through 7 (or whatever they are on....) There are tons of other good ones.
97 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How awful this was Warning: Spoilers
When Cars the original came out I was seven years old I followed the "trilogy" to where I am now 18 and let me tell you something... this was not how I wanted lightning to end his career I mean Jesus was this movie awful. I would rather have watched the big bang theory on repeat for the rest of my life.
64 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why
rsj_13129 June 2017
Even my son was asking throughout then entire 1 hour middle portion of the movie , "why aren't they racing, is he gonna race Jackson storm ...". I just kept saying yeah son eventually. Then it's the female that ends up racing in the end and my 5 year old son experience his first episode of disappointment and fraud. How do you explain to a 5 year old that it's politics and the moral of the story is no longer innocent heroic comebacks but now it's about equal opportunity and forcing ideas on young minds. Kids just want to see a good , animated race movie AS ADVERTISED!!! Instead it's 10 minutes of racing, and an hour and a half of training and build up that leaves you asking yourself... did this have to be nearly two hours long?! Garbage
57 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointment for Cars' fan children
cenaykarabork25 June 2017
My son was born in 2006, we watched first movie maybe a hundred times, and second one several times. Cars was like Star Wars for us. And 3rd movie? At the end of the movie my 11 years old son was so upset to see Mc Queen as a retiring loser car, he only said: "I'll never talk about Mc Queen, this is the end". Bugs Bunny does not get old, why did you have to retire Mc Queen so early? And we hate that yellow car, Cruz, it can never replace Mc Queen. Mc Queen is red, how could you turn it to blue?! This movie is a big disappointment, we'll try to forget it
58 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking Ending...and not in a good way.
Ryan3 July 2017
In this one, Lighting struggles to keep up with the new young techno cars on the circuit and has to go find his racing mojo. Along the way he meets a young racing car who is ironically his trainer, it turns out she is the one who needs the training from Lighting. Lighting teaches her his techniques, whilst trying to improve himself.

For me it was a bit of a poor excuse for a Pixar film, and the ending is probably one of the worst I've seen in an animated flick. It just feels so unfulfilling and so not like Lighting McQueen.

(If you do not want to know the ending do not read on!!!!)

In the end, lighting makes his return to racing after training in the off season. During his big comeback race, halfway through he decides that the car he has been training deserves to try and finish the race?

So instead of it being make or break for lightning, it turns into making a name for the young race car that he has been mentoring.

I think the ending will be Marmite for people, some will love it and some will hate it. I personally didn't like it at all.

Everything up to the ending is quite slow paced and a tad boring.

Sadly Cars is another franchise that has suffered through the making of sequels. Shame.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An incredible comeback for the Cars franchise Warning: Spoilers
There will be spoilers...

Oh boy, where to begin.

I'll start with the elephant in the review section: The accusations of "sexism" and "political correctness". Yes, it's true, there is a female car in the film who happens to be a talented race car. The horror!! Look, I get it. I hate having a blatant agenda shoved down my throat. Ghostbusters, I'm looking at you. This wasn't that. Not even a little bit. If you think it was, well, what can I say. Maybe you should just go home to your bunker and watch Breitbart.

The bigger, and I think slightly more understandable, issue is that of the overall message of the film: our heroes getting older, and the end of McQueen's career as a race car. Hey folks, time marches on. People change, even our role models. If your kid can't handle McQueen passing the torch on to a younger, more adequate player, then maybe you should plop your brat in front of the TV with Cars 1 on a loop. News Flash: this is real life! It happens in all sports. Baseball, Football, Basketball, REAL RACING! Whether we like it or not, our heroes at some point become too old to do what they do. Progress happens. We improve. As a baseball fan, I see it every single year. Players we love go away, and new blood comes in. The message in this movie is exactly that. Kids need to learn from a young age that you can't have the same guy up there doing the same thing every day. Heck, if Cars 1 took place in the 1950s and was about the Fabulous Hudson Hornet, people would be complaining about a new car called Lightning McQueen. What an incredibly boring world it would be if Lightning McQueen always won every single race and no other cars came along to improve on the sport. He isn't becoming less of a hero, he's not being emasculated. His accomplishments aren't being diminished in any way. He's helping the next generation to become a hero too! And so what if that new hero is female? By taking this apparently contentious route, Pixar has opened up the Cars franchise to years and years of new material. New heroes will emerge and some will go away. I for one am delighted by this new direction. I was concerned with the let down that was Cars 2 that the third installment would be useless. It wasn't, not even remotely. Cars 3 is fantastic, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My 3 year old son, who is obsessed with McQueen, loved it too.
49 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Destroys the aura of Lightning Mcqueen
zinc-525 June 2017
The first Cars movie is a classic that will be enjoyed for a long time to come. Cars 3 a has a few major problems. - We don't want to live in or know about whatever 'new reality' this movie has created, where Lightning isn't the fastest car anymore. We especially don't want to know that there is an entire new generation of cars that are faster than him. How depressing is that. - The movie has very little of the heart, soul, and humor of the original. It has a very different feel, with the 'next gen' cars speaking and acting like spoilt millennials. Jackson Storm is a nasty piece of work. - If feels like the point of the movie is to reinforce that 'girls can do anything' (like most movies these days). That's all well and good, but it's not what we paid money to actually go and see. We want to watch a movie about the movie's actual hero and main character, Lightning Mcqueen. And we want to see him win and NOT be depressed, old and slow most of the time.
75 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've never been so bored in a movie theater before
hollymelon-2961517 June 2017
I went to see Cars 3 with my younger sister and, as a long-time Pixar fan, I guess I have to finally face the music: Pixar movies are simply not as good as before anymore. The first installment of Cars, even though not as beloved as some of the studio's other efforts, was a heartfelt and entertaining story for kids and adults alike. This, on the other hand, was an incoherent mess with so much boring and unnecessary dialogue it makes your head hurt after leaving the theater (but you're still happy it's all over)

The movie kicks off with something I bet most kids won't even understand: Lightning McQueen is old. Yup, right. Even though he looks and sounds exactly the same, we have to accept he's old and can't compete against modern, shiny race cars. Now I don't think that's a good premise for a kids' movie, but it could give us adults something to chew on, right?

Well, no. Apparently what we have to do is spend our time observing race simulators and a whole bunch of absolutely indistinguishable secondary characters telling McQueen what to do in his situation, with some race scenes thrown into the mix to keep us awake (although it had a reverse effect on me). One of them (the Thunder Hollow Speedway) was particularly messy and disturbing. It left my sister bewildered and constantly asking why are these cars so evil and why they want to kill each other.

Oh, and about an hour into the movie we understand that Cruz, an annoying yellowish "coach" car who apparently doesn't know how to race at all, is a main character, too, and the story isn't even about McQueen proving he still got it, but about this new car, who isn't even a race car at all, magically defeating all those big bad new racers simply because girl power. Well, I'm a girl and I'm not impressed.

Boring story, boring characters, and an ending that defies logic even in the world of sentient vehicles; I'm pretty sure that's the end of Cars franchise, and despite fond memories of the first movie, all I have to say is good riddance.
74 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They killed McQueen! and put somecar else on the screen...
Jorge30 June 2017
What happened?... Are they trying to shutdown some "old" franchises?... this movie is a total anti-climax, you go in full of expectations and go out trying to forget it... to keep the good old memories... it is sad... they completely abandoned the universe created in Cars 1 and 2 and all other spin-offs... they tried to do something new, a new perspective, but did not develop anything beyond a scratch deep... nothing makes any sense... no fun... no logical connection among story developments... I will try to forget it... but it will be though... in the end there is no hero left...
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even Mater cannot save this one.....
abhishes-572-4063016 June 2017
This is a classic example of Hollywood culture of trying to force a sequel even though you have no thought of idea.

When I see the movie it seems that someone forced the writers to do a rush job just because a sequel had to be made.

All characters look clichéd and boring. There is nothing new from a character perspective. The movie manages to be unnecessarily emotional and most events in the story look like filers which are totally unrelated to the story.

They totally fail to live the magic of the original cars movie. This one is very disappointing and just outright boring.

all i wish that they had left the original alone and not made this sequel.
77 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PC crap!
Ashley Jarvis30 July 2017
Let me start by saying I love the Cars movie franchise, so when I first saw the trailer and the poster for this latest instalment, I was very excited.

To start off with, I was thoroughly enjoying the film and loved this whole Cars version of the Rocky Balboa films. It was great. They included Doc Hudson as a vital part of the story of Cars too, which I loved. Great character. Then comes along this new piece of crap, Cruz. I didn't like her character from the get go. Dull, annoying and about as funny as a funeral. Anyway, that was fine. Sometimes you just have to accept annoying, two dimensional characters in a film.

However, what I can not bare to see is PC bullcrap. It turns out that ***SPOILER ALERT*** rather than making this miraculous comeback after all his training, Lightening McQueen quits the race. He quits and allows his trainer, Cruz (a female character of course) to finish the race. Of course she wins, of course she is the hero, of course the camera switches to other female Cars characters celebrating (wooooo women empowerment!!!!!!). I am all for equality. I really am. But this is not the case. It is so in your face and as soon as Cruz took over from Lightening, I actually wanted to leave the cinema. They have basically retired lightening and made the new Cars hero, a woman. I mean, what is that about, seriously? completely goes against the plot of the film and basically b***h slaps its viewers and fans. "Hey folks, you think your hero Lightening, the character that makes the films, the character we know and love is going to win?! *B***H SLAP* NO! he is going to crash out and you now have a woman hero!!! yay pc guys, yaaaay!".

Literally ruined the film. Tell you what Disney, next time you want to shove some PC rubbish in our faces, write a whole new film and make the hero a woman. Don't dump on our old beloved heroes. Dicks.
28 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easily the most disappointing Pixar film
Boson2716 June 2017
Yes that's right, this film is even more disappointing than the abomination that was "Cars 2". There are some truly atrocious creative choices made towards the end of the film which I will discuss in a moment. Let me first point out, however, that there is some good in this film. The first act does an alright job of setting up the stakes and character arcs. We are introduced to the new characters and it moves a long at a pretty fast pace. The second act, though a bit meandering and slow, explores Lightning McQueen's relationship with Doc Hudson. It was easily the most poignant part of the film and gave good closure to Doc's character, something "Cars 2" failed at altogether. Additionally, the animation is absolutely sublime and Randy Newman's score beautifully echoes that of the first movie. Where the film completely and utterly fails is the third act. Spoilers follow. The biggest issue with this film is Cruz Ramirez. She weighed down the movie in the first and second acts, and in the third act, renders Lightning useless. The film sets up an underdog story with Lightning's crash and subsequent recovery but never delivers this. Instead, Lightning gives up in the middle of the final race in Florida and passes the torch onto Cruz who, despite this being her first race and her only training for two weeks, magically wins. Lightning, the beloved racer from the first film, is completely cast aside for the annoying, moronic, and horrible Cruz. It's PC-pandering at its worst. Cruz is a complete Mary-Sue. She didn't have a shred of likability in the first two acts, but I could tolerate her because it was still Lightning's story. The third act feels like it was written by new-age feminists who completely miss the point of the "Cars" movies and don't at all understand the concept of a narrative character arc. What is most devastating is the fact that we never got to see Lightning rise up through the ranks, beat Jackson Storm, and finally become the fabulous racer we know he is. We never got to see Lightning WIN. The film leaves you totally deflated and empty; flustered and angry that Pixar, a studio that has proved again and again its deftness at storytelling and filmmaking craft, has fallen to the collectivist propaganda that is plaguing some films lately. If you were a fan of the first "Cars" film, a fan of Lightning McQueen or even a fan of great movies in general, please PLEASE avoid this one. You will only be let down like I was. I repeat, DON'T WATCH IT.
43 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stalled in pit lane....
stazza19 June 2017
As a huge supporter and fan of the first CARS film, and not caring at all for the 2nd, this one was phoned in, lacked the "SOUL" and interest of the original. The parts are there, the deep drama and personal problems but it failed to flow. Just plodded along from thing to thing until the big climax ending. The ending was fine, but I have zero desire to ever watch this again, and won't be buying the disc, and WILL be watching the original again to re-feel everything that was missing here.

And it is almost too deep for kids. Lots of talk about life and retiring from it, and not lots of kid style hijinks.

It looked great and had a story, but felt like a cash grab --- or that all the original PIXAR writers were not involved.
49 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak story with all the wrong plot choices
Eric Harvey1 July 2017
This movie had no dimension beyond Lightning McQueen trying to win one more race only to never actually race one more race. The other characters of the original movie make scarce appearance, and we basically spend the whole movie watching Lightning McQueen get ready to race the final big race but then never actually race the big final race (because he "passes the torch" to this flat and uninteresting new racer car called Cruz Ramirez who is about as interesting as a 1982 Toyota Corolla).

Doc Hudson is nowhere to be found, and without explanation, and the movie has no other plot line to speak of. There is also little humor to speak of, and the only good thing I can say about this snorefest is that it was better than Cars 2. Wait, no, actually this was the worst of the three cars movies.

Who does Disney get to write these lame scripts? A 12-year old?

Save your money and wait until this atrocity comes out on DVD if you really want to waste two hours of your life.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar 1995-2017 ?
qrpike15 August 2017
The Good:

• The graphics looked absolutely amazing. Best animation visuals I've ever seen. That's about it...

The Bad:

• The trailer for the movie was *completely* misleading.

• Doc hudson died without any explanation. Cars that trained him ( older ) are still alive which makes you think something unexpected must of happened? I'm guessing this is because of the voice actor passing away, but some kind of explanation would of been nice.

• A lot of bad messages for kids. Aging is something to be made fun of ( excessively in the movie ). Once you're older there's no way you can possibly win. If you're not winning at something, give up and circumvent the rules so you can basically cheat to win ( because that's all that matters ). If someone says you can't do something ( Cruz not able to be a racer ) stop trying completely and wait until you're grown and someone comes along and fixes the situation for you.

• The interactions between 'Mater and Lighting were the highlight of Cars 1. Funny jokes, fun times, laughing and friends. Mater and most of Radiator Springs were left out of this one. The movie was very serious and the jokes that were said were untasteful ( mostly about his age ). I'm not sure I even laughed once during the movie.

• The level of propaganda was impossible to look past. Cars 2, and especially Cars 1 cultivated a following of mostly young boys that are into cars/racing/trucks etc. They wait until Cars 3 to turn the entire franchise into a story about equal opportunity and equality. The main reporter in the movie is suddenly female, the famous demolition derby star is female, and the new hero/racer of the Cars franchise is female. She has no experience as a racer, drives on the beach once ( never practices once on asphalt ) and then goes to win the race with Jackson Storm who has set all kinds of new records? After she wins the race the camera cuts to every one of the female characters going "whooo". I don't understand why a kids movie has to push politics and ideology. IT'S A KIDS MOVIE. Also, I can't see my 4 nieces hanging up their Frozen outfits to get some Cruz toys.

All in all it left a really bad taste in my mouth not only about Cars but Pixar/Disney as a whole. Are there going to be any more innocent kids movies with humor for the adults as well, or just neutered stories for the sake of PC.
27 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Death of Lightning McQueen and Radiator Springs.
Goctagon25 June 2017
So, I have always been a huge fan of Cars and it's franchise. I was 9 years old when the first movie came out and as a kid I became obsessed with the movie. At the age of 20, I can say that I still love the original movie as much as I did when I first saw it in theaters all those years ago.

The thing that made the movie so great was the authenticity and the realness in emotion between the characters and actors. The jokes and witty humor that was in the movie still has me laughing today at jokes I would have never understood as a child. Authenticity, great humor, and quality acting are all things that Pixar completely ignored in this new movie.

From the first scene of the movie I could tell something was a bit off. The movie starts off much like the original Cars movie with the "I am Speed" bit where Lightning McQueen readies himself for the race, when all of a sudden you see the character, Mater, inside the trailer with him, breaking his concentration with a dumb line that's not even worth remembering (I don't remember). This scene alone gave me the impression that the quality of the movie will be mediocre, at best. It was one of those scenes where the two main characters are put into a situation in which, the director's intent is to invoke a feeling of nostalgia and sympathy for the characters as if this is the last time you will ever see them. No real humor, no real emotion, just lame character banter as if you were watching a flashback scene of a long gone character talk to another posthumously. This scene did nothing but dissatisfy me.

Anyway, moving on...the acting. The acting in the movie was bad. Almost every character in the movie was delivered with a slow, monotonous, lack of emotion as if it were rushed. (this entire movie seems rushed) Even Owen Wilson, a highly respected actor and the voice of Lightning McQueen, showed very little enthusiasm.

One character in particular who was probably the most disappointing was Doc Hudson's mentor, Smokey. Talk about an anticlimactic character. The actor who played the character sounded as if he were just reading lines from a paper the directors threw in front of him. Very disappointing, especially due to the immense amount of expectations a long time Cars fan would have for such a highly respected image. It's the mentor for Doc Hudson for crying out loud!

The only character that had the least bit of enthusiasm was the new character, Cruz Ramirez however, her personality and dialogue was so obnoxious and out of place, it made her delivery no better than any of the other characters. If not, worse.

So, acting and dialogue was pretty much one of the lowest points for this movie however, the story. Oh my God the ending. Probably the worst twist ending of any Pixar movie I have seen.

Basically, after training for the ENTIRE movie, Lightning McQueen gives up. He ends up realizing that he can't complete the race so he gives up and lets Cruz finish for him. Now I am not disappointed at the fact that Cruz was able to race, I am disappointed that the entire movie gave you hopes and expectations for Lightning to rise above and win his last race victorious. Instead, all of your dreams and expectations are shot down in one moment, as if Lightning's crash wasn't sad enough.

As I come to and end I would like to point out some good things about the movie. The graphics of course were stunning and beautiful. Each action scene was quite entertaining to watch especially Lightning's crash scene. The emotion and impact of that scene alone was insane. That silence...wow. The newer cars were cool to see as well even though none of them had any interesting personalities at all.

Overall, I was fairly disappointed by the movie. This was the death of Lightning McQueen and all of Radiator Springs for sure. I don't see Pixar doing anything but hopefully regretting what they have done to the series.

Cars 4? What's the point?
28 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disgrace to the original Cars
Stinkelman18 June 2017
I am a huge cars fan, I absolutely loved the first movie, the second movie was still really good, but the first was a classic.

This movie was an absolute disgrace to the first two. The writers were different and they absolutely destroyed the atmosphere of cars. They brought in way to millennialist stereotypes and decimated the standard set by the first two movies. Things were misquoted from the first movie and characters were poorly developed.

Don't waste your time or money.
81 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good enough
phoenix 226 June 2017
Cars 3 is not like the rest of the Cars movies, though it tries recapture some glory from the first movie. Didn't mind the new characters, they were interesting in their own way. However, it would have been good to also have some of the old characters in there as well, and not just at the beginning and at the end. Other than that, the story is okay, with some action (though, they could have added some more) and a great twist in the end, that, at least, helped pull the movie out of the cliché pit. Finally, the special effects were nice, with the cars almost looking like real ones, especially at certain scenes, where even the scenery looked real. So, overall, 4 out of 10.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An uninspired borefest
Nobody-2722 June 2017
I am one of those guys who actually liked the first Cars film. That one had a soul. Then came the second installment, which was even better - one of those rare sequels that did not feel forced or redundant.

And then Cars 3 came along to spoil it all.

How bad is it? Well, bad enough that a kid next to me could not wait for the film to be over. And bad enough that I was struggling not to fall asleep due to pure boredom. The middle part of the film (like from 15min in to about 15 min before the end) is mostly a blur for me - it was that bad. They say that with any story, you want to leave audiences questioning "And then - what happened?" so that the story shows "and then - this happened, and then - this..." but this film has nothing happening. There was tons of talk, reminiscing, fear of old age, but nothing worth watching.

One saving grace is the film's visuals. And there was one camera move I loved. That was it.

Oh, in case you have heard of the ending, which I will not disclose here - it feels terribly forced. Lightning McQueen makes a random decision that is supposed to make us feel all warm and fuzzy, but it doesn't. It just leaves everyone with the big WTF on their face, and rightfully so, because it is so out of character and so stupid. So, the ending does not work, as much as it was cute as an idea. Good ideas need to be well executed to work, otherwise they fail.

All in all, the story feels like a typical Hollywood "paint by numbers" screenplay which was developed by going over McKee's or some such author's check list, and then going like this:

• Start with action on page 1? Check. - Unexpected ending? Check. - Lots of dialogue in the middle part? Check. - Take care of the minorities? Check.

And so on. Painting by numbers never produced anything worthwhile.

Story must come from the heart if it is to work, otherwise you get Cars 3 - an uninspired borefest.

Essentially, Cars 3 is a 10 minute story stretched to painfully long 110 minutes. I was shocked when I discovered that it was that long - for a CG feature with no story, those extra 10 minutes are both expensive and meaningless.
41 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not nice at all... Disappointment
arjunbhagawati23 September 2017
We all expect our lead character McQueen to win or do something interesting every time but this movie is all opposite.... It's just about his retirement..... It talks about new generation racers who are better than the old ones.... Everything McQueen had is hopelessness... He loses all hope and hands over his career to a girl racer making himself retired..... he declares himself shower than the others and takes up a blue paint in memory of Hudson hornet and becomes a crew chief... Cars has always been my favourite Disney movies since my childhood but thus movie made me real upset...I was really not expecting this...... It is surely the worst Disney movie ever....
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.