"The Gourmet Detective" The Gourmet Detective (TV Episode 2015) Poster

Parallels to Castle
Jackbv1233 November 2017
The general story arc was fairly good. I never saw that climax coming.

On the other hand, when it comes to specifics, the plot was so full of holes, it would sink an aircraft carrier. The biggest factor in those holes was police procedure. I guess we can't count among them the fact these two were paired up to begin with given Castle went on for how many seasons with a very similar arrangement. But there were so many other obvious police procedure flaws, I won't even start to name them.

The acting was decent. Neal and Burns got along about like you'd expect and certainly a lot like Castle and Beckett in the early days. Some critics refer to Maggie as bitchy, but her reactions through all the early scenes are exactly what should be expected when her captain has just handcuffed her to an amateur. Perhaps at the cooking demonstration at the top, she should have just kept her mouth shut, but her skepticism at Henry being labeled a detective is natural. She does eventually lighten up and they seem to almost like each other and end up carping at one another like a married couple.

I think in terms of enjoyment, it is fair to compare this to Castle, although in my mind Castle brought a lot more humor to the table through a combination of lame theories and general bumbling.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Canadian version of Castle
dtdenver-987-9255461 November 2018
Castle was one of my favorite shows (in spite of the female lead) so this was okay (also in spite of the female lead). The plot and details are silly - but that's the genre. Especially on the Hallmark Channel. What I really didn't like, though, were the pretty Hallmark houses. Don't get me wrong - I would love to live in any of the Hallmark Channel homes. But with the setting of San Francisco, they're ludicrous. None of the characters in food service and law enforcement would make enough money to live in a beautiful roomy house in the city. Plus, notice the trees are bare. Trees don't lose their leaves in winter in San Francisco. A few B roll shots of street cars is just lazy.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun story almost spoiled by an overly bitchy female lead...
kardosma29 April 2016
I decided to watch this movie because of Dylan Neal; I've seen him in a few other movies and always enjoyed his performances. It started off great; he's charming, and the movie seemed like a fun little whodunnit with a twist.

And then Brooke Burns (aka the sour-faced dragon lady from hell) opened her freaky lips and spewed unwarranted aggressive bitchiness (and I say opened her lips because I've never seen anyone so clenched and uptight that their jaw couldn't move when they spoke). And she didn't stop until about 3/4 of the way through the movie, when she actually seemed human for the first time. Seriously, dial it down, lady! I nearly packed it in after ten minutes because she was so intolerably annoying.

But hey, I've watched far worse and this did turn out to be an okay little time waster. Not especially taxing on the intellect in terms of working out who did what, but still a bit of fun. Worth a watch if you come across it.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting plot
geoffox-766-41846728 May 2015
First of all I like Dylan Neal in almost anything. He's a cool actor and in this is perfect for the part. He says more with his looks than words could tell. But Brooke Burns is no match. She comes off snippy and bitchy. Has a real attitude in this film. Put them together and he comes off the winner in this mystery/comedy.

Everyone is under suspicion in this cooking/killer text. It does take a while to figure who is who and such. Can be confusing. But maybe they are trying to make that happen in this film.

But Neal makes the film work. He is subtle and charming in his approach to his character. Sort of a modern day Thin Man type. But Burns is no Myrna Loy. I just feel she has an edge that doesn't mix with this type of film. She has one look - that of disgust. With everyone else in the movie. And her mouth bothered me. Strange looking and like a tight jaw.

There is also an array of assorted character actors representing chefs and police that mingle in and out the plot. But the two leads are the main focus and solving the crime. And Dylan Neal wins my focus and applause.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well the ending was good....the middle and the beginning were not so good
Ed-Shullivan31 August 2017
I can't say this murder/mystery kept me in suspense but what did keep me on the edge of my seat (and not in a good way) was that irritating non-stop musical score that played in the background. I cannot for the life of me understand that between the producers and the director that one of them would not have advised the seasoned music director, James Jandrisch, to tone it down by at least 50 percent. My gosh, why do some of these lighthearted formulaic murder/mystery films that contain a dash of romance and family dynamics almost always seem to want to make the background music attempt to lull us into falsely believing that we are watching something that is (not) comparable to the classic 1967 suspense film Wait Until Dark that starred Audrey Hepburn and Richard Crenna.

As for this film, The Gourmet Detective I much prefer the 2016 Canadian produced television crime series Private Eyes that stars Jason Priestley, and Cindy Sampson, and is now in the middle of its second successful season. (My review on Private Eyes is dated December 31st, 2016.) I am comparing The Gourmet Detective to Private Eyes as the themes of these two shows are similar. You have a professional detective being the female lead and the amateur sleuth being the male lead investigator/partner. The difference between these two shows seems to end there when it comes to the partners on screen chemistry. Mrs. Shullivan and I agree with some of the other reviewers in that actress Brooke Burns character as Detective Maggie Price, comes off as a real hard nose no nonsense single mom, and her amateur sleuth partner Henry Ross (played admirably by Dylan Neal) who is much more friendly and talkative partner is continually being told to shut up by Maggie.

The films pretense is sort of a poor man's version of the 1978 comedy/mystery "Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" A few of the culinary greats are being knocked off and it is up to Maggie to work with her talkative know it all amateur sleuth partner Henry to solve this whodunit.

As I opened my review I will repeat that I found the background musical score extremely irritating and it distracted from the storyline, sometimes even attempting to challenge whether this film should be classified as a musical rather than what was intended which was a lighthearted murder mystery.

The positive about this film is that it ended on a very happy family note and for that I raised my score from a 3 to a 4.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Gourmet Detective
Prismark107 January 2019
Henry Ross is a culinary expert to the food industry. A mini Sherlock Holmes living in San Francisco. He can cook a nice omelettes, knows the best places to eat and gets called in by a restaurant owner who thinks he is being deliberately sabotaged.

When a person dies in front of him at a restaurant, just before the victim was to make an important announcement. Henry is paired with detective Maggie Price. A single mother and someone who initially resents being partnered with him.

I thought this was a likeable Hallmark mystery film.

Cheesy with a good enough mystery in the world of restaurants. There are a couple of red herrings such as two restaurant owners who have been rivals for decades. You even sense a hint of romance between the two leads.

Just a shame that the Canadian locations did not make for a convincing San Francisco.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love Brooke Burns
windwalker-3167027 August 2017
I completely disagree with the other reviewers that think Brooke Burns comes off bitchy. She is cute,and funny and the chemistry with Dylan is perfect. She is a female cop that wants to be taken seriously and Dylan has her flustered because she is attracted to him. I love all of the Gourmet Detective movies and I loved her in undercover bridesmaid. She is funny and cute and her smile just lights up the screen. To the other viewers: STOP BEING JEALOUS!! ....and just for the record, I am a 59 year old female who is happily married to a guy. So I am not some guy panting over her. I like her for her talent.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Music
jenjoylife26 September 2020
The music was so loud that it made it hard to hear the dialogue.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad mystery movie but not a favorite either
jml198827 November 2019
None of the characters seemed to have any real depth. The whodunit was okay, but we didn't adequately get to know the suspects in order to wonder for ourselves. I thought the female lead came off as overly abrasive to the male lead, who was quite charming!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Adequate Pilot
atlasmb17 August 2020
This is a TV movie that serves as a pilot for a series of "Gourmet Detective" installments, which I have not yet seen.

Brooke Burns plays Maggie, a police detective who gets teamed with a restaurant industry expert, Henry (played by Dylan Neal), to investigate a murder. Both play their roles well. Maggie is independent and proud, confident in her abilities. Henry likes to enjoy life, delighting in the joys of fine food.

At first they mix like oil and water, of course, but by the end of the pilot, their hostilities are tempered by respect and, maybe, a slight hint of romantic interest. This leaves room for further episodes.

As a whodunit, this episode is adequately complex, but it contains some annoying flaws, mostly having to do with poor communication between the characters. You might finger the culprit before they do, but it is still somewhat satisfying due to the latent chemistry between the leads.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poisoned at a five star restaurant
bkoganbing6 August 2019
Dylan Neal noted food critic, author, restaurant owner and general all around raconteur is our Gourmet Detective. This was the first in a series of film which was unusual having a male protagonist detective in one of their mystery series.

He's introduced to this role when at a banquet a noted food critic is poisoned rather exotically with a badly prepared lamprey eel. I did learn they are a delicacy and it could be easily inferred to be accidental done by someone in the kitchen who did not know what they were doing.

So he's made a consultant of sorts to the San Francisco PD and partnered with Brooke Burns a no-nonsense female detective. Without Neal the SFPD might have put this down as an accidental death.

The usual series of films came after this one. A bid odd to see a male protagonist at Hallmark.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.