Last Call at Murray's (2016) Poster

One of the Best Indie Films Ever!
Pete Freeland15 March 2016
This film is really, really good - writing, directing, acting - you name it I liked it all. The story moved at a good pace, not too fast or too slow, and there was a lot of range in the characters. It's rare for a film set in only one location to have so many layers and levels but this film did it very well. The technical aspects were flawless, music was great - nothing sucked. I especially liked that the storyline was not predictable in any way, and that it always kept the viewer surprised by what would happen next. The film ended on a positive note, and I left the theater feeling better than when I went in - the sign of a truly great film. I KNOW you will get distribution and full theatrical release - no doubt in my mind. Way to go - home run!!! Thank you very much for sharing this film and bringing it to the world!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out there performances in a tiny space
vadorra15 March 2016
After watching LAST CALL AT MURRAY'S with the packed-to-the-walls, exuberant crowd at the Crest Theater, I realized a film like Murray is actually quite difficult to make – on so many levels. As John Savage suggested, close quarters results in harmony or chaos and often a bit of both. But there they all were - crew and cast - in the tiny space every day with all the folks and onlookers and equipment and pretty bras and egos and insecurities and, of course, loads of talent. That's it. No bells and whistles, no CGI, no car crashes, no diversions. Everything shows, every emotion, every detail. It's raw and vulnerable and brave. Bravo to all. By the way, Without a Song sung by Paula Jai Parker is lovely and beautifully performed.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stranger Danger meets Frindship to the Core
marlawhite-115536 March 2016
I love this film, so many stories coming together as one. I laughed, I cried, I got goosebumps. The music was perfectly played at all the right times. The cast was great, particularly Skip Lars played him wickedly smart and funny. I loved the relationship between D.R. and Danice. It just clicked and made all of us cheer for them. The interaction between Bennett and Murray was just so real (even it was only four days!) and the explosion of love at the end was so believable. My heart ached for Bennett. I love endings that tie up loose ends and leave us wanting more. Jack and Murray give us all that. In a shot glass!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Review
raubenheimer-156564 July 2018
The plot is fairly simple and is the equivalent of a kid dreaming to be trapped in a candy store for adults. Not the most starfilled cast but very loveable characters. Would love this movie with some stars in it .
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable indie!
sadiekatz22 February 2017
Saw this film at a festival & adored it. I found myself laughing and crying. It reminded me of Landford Wilson's HotL Baltimore...a bunch of mismatched misfits on their last night- a bittersweet tale. Some movie are perfect little indie films that could never be told with a big budget and this is one of them. If you're looking for a nice film to Netflix and chill this film will leave you wishing you were a part of the last call...enjoy. Totally charming.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best - simple film, simple message
mike-359-77712731 March 2016
I really enjoy a simple story told well and this movie delivers in a big way. A great ensemble cast combines with snappy writing and beautiful tech to create a gem of a story. I remember Michael Gross from "Family Ties" and see both his comic chops and a great depth of emotion. John Savage gives a poignant portrayal of a man damaged by a friend that ultimately finds redemption, and the many new faces in the cast each bring their own special talents to the film. Kudos to the editing staff for the extraordinary color of the film as well as the intricate set dressing — you feel like you're there with the characters. If it comes to a film fest or theater near you, go and see it . . . it will be worth your time and you may just learn something!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Murray's
Gerri George4 October 2016
Must admit I'm part of the production team, but I must say that Linda Palmer has been a wonderful leader. She knows talent when she sees it and chooses it well, she runs the team in a way that has made me want to continue to work with her. The film is meaningful and deserves all of its awards. The topic is vital for the modern culture. It's becoming more and more common, as we gradually learn to understand how to recognize and treat dementia. The cast has been attentive to portraying the disease in a sensitive, yet realistic manner. The writing is spot-on regarding the reality of the illness, and the stress placed on families managing a family member with such a strenuous chronic illness. Linda Palmer and the rest of the team have created a fine film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.