Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021) Poster

1,634 Reviews
This "film" epitomizes everything that's wrong with the film industry today
DavID9356018 July 2021
Films today rely on quick plots, with little to no character development to draw in movie goers who'll spend their hard earned cash on some awful excuse for a picture, so that the movie studios can make their profit. They don't actually care if the story is good or not, just what will they get back for their investment.

And that's what this film is in a nutshell. Not a single person who worked on this "film" cared if it's good or bad. I can literally picture them sitting around a table at one of Warner's offices saying "how are we going to steal their cash?". There's NO saving grace. The acting is awful, and that's putting it nicely. The direction (or lack there of) is just as bad. It's a directors job to push the actors to get the most out of them. However, Malcolm D. Lee evidently didn't care, as the final product is trash. Then again, what was I expecting from the director of Scary Movie 5? Oh and don't get me started on the "comedy" (palms face).

Lets call this what it really is, a cash grab. I even took my nephews and niece (who're young) to see this and they didn't even like it. They threw Looney Tunes in there because hey it worked once, why not spoil an old films legacy like Hollywood loves to do with lame remakes.

I feel most bad for Don Cheadle. This Is a huge stain on what was a respectable acting career.

Please do better.
662 out of 769 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ALL HAIL THE KING
jessieortiz-8874720 July 2021
Bow down, you are about to be brought before the KING. This movie is all about why you should love and praise LeBron. Forget about story telling, let's gather to witness the greatness that is LeBron. With a capitol G. This is a huge middle finger to the original Space Jam. Michael didn't have to shove his reputation down your throat because his reputation preceeded him. He's the best, that's it. LeBron tries to recreate that here artificially. He doesn't have the weight or presence that Michael had, so he's over compensating. Why make a second if it's not for story? Can Hollywood really profit off of such a failed story if they throw in some characters you know? Get ready for the commercial about LeBron that is space jam 2. Hollywood has become the employee that everyone hates because they hate their job and do barely enough to not get fired.
418 out of 484 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lousy
jorgeesc19 July 2021
Lebron already said it in the movie, "it's the worst idea I've ever heard", but, you see, nobody believed him ...
397 out of 469 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a Poor Effort
walker504020 July 2021
The acting in this movie is so inauthentic. The whole film felt like one big money-grab. They knew the movie would do well financially because of the title and the characters. The finished product is just a huge mess.
227 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow so shallow
mj188420 July 2021
I've been waiting 20+ years to the comeback of space jam, The first movie back in 1996 was a classic movie.

And that is the most disappointing movie sequel I've ever seen. So shallow, so lame, where is the storyline?

What about acting classes? What about respect for the audience?

WB got lost with the years 👎🏻
194 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 hour long advertisement
swimnichols17 July 2021
This movie sold products and movie franchises from beginning to end. Hardly a space jam movie. Mentioning Warner Brothers studios several times is a horrible look. WHO CARES... stop selling ads and create an actual movie. Only highlight was a Bobby Knight reference that I bet 1% of all viewers actually recognized. Horrible acting, subpar character development, and skimpy plot. So sad to see Space Jam fall so far.
596 out of 736 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just feel sorry for the actors
WOW.... I had gone into this reading all of the reviews, saying this was a terrible movie. They were right. This was hands down the worst movie I had seen in a long time. LeBron, please promise the world this is the last movie you will ever be in. Nothing in this movie is believable. I really feel sorry for actors like Don Cheadle and Michael B. Jordan who somehow got roped into doing this snooze-fest. My guess is that they were fulfilling some clause in their contracts or just owed someone a favor, because no one in their right mind would have read this script and used it for anything other than toilet paper. I will leave you with my last thought, as I was going to rip apart all of the scenes, but I thought I would leave this as a no spoiler warning. Anyone over the age of 10 should walk, no, run away from this movie.
178 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've never seen anything like this film, and I hope I never do again.
JAS6144618 July 2021
This was honestly one of the worst things I've ever seen. I'd rather watch 2 hours of literally anything else.

Not a LeBron hater, but this kind of made me want to be.
196 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ego-filled and just plain awful.
bigbang-1309729 August 2021
Possibly one of the worst films I've seen this year.

LeBron can't act to save his life, and it feels like the film was just made to appease his massive ego.

I only gave it 2 stars because the animation was well done, and Don Cheadle as the villain had some chuckle-worthy moments.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atrocious Disgrace
dlinderman-5544817 July 2021
The first Space Jam was corny and goofy, but it had its own unique charm and a simple yet acceptable plot that made the involvement of Jordan and other NBA players make sense as much as a cartoon basketball game movie could.

This however is straight trash. It feels like one part feeding Lebrons ego, one part nonsensical abysmal story, and ten parts promotional work for everything WB owns.

The plot involving a computer algorithm as the main antagonist that somehow sucks LeBron and his kid into a server and then forced them to play the sons video game creation is the most half baked idea I ever heard. The acting by almost everyone involved is the furthest thing from believable possible. The whole thing is a lot of cgi flashy nonsense and nothing of real substance. This is just an embarrassment through and through.
229 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible try for a sequel
usfder-7085320 July 2021
Where as the Original Movie had a really cool spin to it combining the Toon World and the Real World this movie just... stinks.

First of all LeBron doesn't have any charisma or acting skills what so ever second where as the first hat an intersting premise the premise of this is just terrible.

Furthermore this movie feels like Warner Brother just wanted to Jam every single Character they own into one movie for the sake of nostalgia.

Just: No.
108 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brainless and boring
hdsimmons17 July 2021
Nothing more than an idiotic vanity project. Don't waste your time or money.
263 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fire Everyone Involved
George_Hassard18 July 2021
This honestly, was the worst Big Budget movie I have watched in my life I kept thinking throughout the movie as they went to different Warner Bros Properties, what will they interfere with next? And then I heard the Wonder Woman theme and and I almost had to turn of the TV because I was disgusted to watch.

I disagree with people saying the movie was just a 2 hour advertisement because it wasn't. The movie was just a complete Cliché.

The plot is so generic and boring that I can not tell if the writers were trying to make it a cliché or they were just that bad. This movie is going to make a lot of serious movie fans angry. Mad Max Fury Road Cameos, Matrix Cameos. Only one good thing I can say about this movie because I wanted this review to be fair. The CGI was great. Some of the best I have seen in a while. But still not worth it. This is the kind of movie that people Boo at the credits in the theatres which I guess is good for Warner Bros Because nobody is going to see this Vile Garbage in a Movie Theatre because its free on HBO.
100 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is only one SpaceJam
ivanmatovina-8656421 July 2021
Whatta selfpromote pile of shiet is this for Warner Bros and Lebron.. There is a big reason why MJ got in the classic. Lebron is 3 leagues bellow so this have no sense.

Also new generations have no idea what or who bugs bunny is or L tunes world is so this makes no sense at all.

Long story short this is 2 hour Warner Bros and Lebron advertisement.

Also this movie promote all wrong valiuables of todays world and i dont like it at all. Actually this is offense to the original movie and human brain.
83 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow in every way possible
Shadowking100120 July 2021
So awful. Completely a self-serving vanity project with no thought for the paying public. Sad to see my favorite Looney Tunes charcters being degraded by their association with this movie.

The story and characters are so superficial you don't care for either. LeBron could have been substituted by a piece of wood with voice-over, and it would have had more personality.

Agree that the original Space Jam wasn't some deep profound artistic achievement, but it was at least quirky and fun. This new version was so commercialized and shallow, that became intolerably annoying when it became evident why this movie was made.

It was made ONLY for grifting purposes by a bunch of grifters. So if you don't want to give your hard earned money to opportunistic billionaires, then skip this money-grabbing scam project (can't bring myself to call this a 'film').
73 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
rcossio-9885522 July 2021
Not well scripted or acted. Hollywood needs to learn that highly paid pampered privileged athletes are not commanding endearing moments from audiences. If you want to waste money because you love LeBron go ahead...guarantee you will walk away feeling like you put money in a shredder!
83 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LBJ ruins this movie
crurex17 July 2021
LBJ isn't the worst person to ever try their hand at acting but I can't recall anyone more awful. Absolutely ruins this movie, he should just stick to bball or maybe try gardening but please not acting. Hollywood can not help this guy, he has about as much on screen charisma as a safety cone. Please do is all a favor LBJ; hire someone to punch you in the face the next time you think it's a good idea to buy yourself a role in a movie.

This movie is so bad I don't don't just want my money back, I want money back; dinner and another movie paid for just to feel I broke even.
172 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie is so lame and pointless.
jpversoza20 July 2021
The acting is so bad. One of the worst movies i have seen.
62 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leflop at it again
d-demarco118 July 2021
Although the looney tunes seem to hold there own...Lebron is still chasing the ghost of Michael Jordon and falls short yet again. Movie does have some laughs provided by the tunes but a weak plot and villains that didn't measure up to the monstars of the original. This movie has just tried too hard to capture the magic of the previous movie and with Lebrons acting it's just a poor movie. Wait on this one.
79 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst kids films I've seen
lindabrown-0143714 July 2021
The cinema was full and for 2hrs not a single laugh. Dead silence in there. Poorly written and could've been so much better. LeBron James should never act again. However after all that, my kids said they liked it! If you're an adult that remembers the wonderful Looney Tunes characters, i feel you'll be so disappointed. Get your partner or babysitter to take the kids and dodge this.
434 out of 621 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why?
guppie233516 July 2021
Space Jam was the epitome of the 90's child life. It was corny, Michael Jordan couldn't act, but it had its charm. This movie was absolutely atrocious. LeBron is so wooden it's just obnoxious. I can honestly say this was one of the worst movies ever made out side of the way they pieced together the other Warner brothers properties. Still would never watch again.
325 out of 466 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen
Sanka920 July 2021
The title says it all. A complete mess from top to bottom. Nothing saves this calamity. Horrific.
57 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have been called Space Jam 2
dscolpini18 July 2021
2 hour long advertisement for HBO Max

2 good jokes the entire movie

This movie was made solely so WB can show you all of the properties they own and all of the great stuff you can watch on HBO Max. All of the references and "jokes" appear aimed at 90s kids who were fans of the original, taking their kids to see this movie, but all of them are dated or just purely unfunny. There's really nothing to like here other than good performances from Don Cheadle and Zendaya.
93 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delusions of Adequacy
AnnVilsson19 July 2021
Wow. What a miserable movie. I've never seen anything like it in my life.

I also hope to never see anything like it ever again, and I wish I could unsee what I HAVE seen.
35 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No laughs and no heart. Just a CGI salad
atdmv17 July 2021
Barely coherent "comedy" that's not funny. Not thrilling, not suspenseful, not fascinating. There is no positive adjective to describe it. Just a B movie storyline with terrible acting. They could have made 5 blockbuster movies with that budget. Maybe if the "hero" of the story was a little more likable...
64 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.