Schitt's Creek (TV Series 2015–2020) Poster

(2015–2020)

Stick with it, and you fall in love with the characters
misscharlietaylor22 November 2020
I must admit to really struggling to get into this show in the beginning. After Season 1, I couldn't work out why the reviews were so good, I just wasn't finding it that funny, and wasn't keen on the characters, but I knew I had to keep watching. I think the mistake I made was expecting it to be as laugh out loud as something like Modern Family for example. With Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy who have made me laugh so much with things like Best In Show and a Mighty Wind I was expecting the same thing. But then it just clicked, subtle jokes, characters that become more and more lovable each episode, and really touching moments which have made me shed a tear on more than one occasion. By season five I was feeling sad that there was only going to be one more season after this. This is so well written, and the first time I've seen Dan Levy in anything, and he is just brilliant. If you're thinking of switching off, don't, keep going!
123 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hated the ads, finally watched it and fell in love.
jacob-s-hicks23 October 2018
Apparently not for everyone, but I can not get enough of it. I HATED the ads on Netflix, HATED!, but somehow I finally got around to watching an episode....instantly my new favourite show.

Cast is stellar, offbeat quirky humour is my jam. Main cast and side characters fit so well together, people you don't need a laugh track to tell you when something is funny.

The shared mannerisms between the Rose family are one of my favourite things about this show, you could almost believe they grew up around each other. Consistent story line, sweet heartfelt moments, genuinely funny at times, horribly cringey at others.

As someone who has never reviewed anything before, (was it hard to tell?), I felt compelled to share my love for this show.
321 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedic Genius
pfeiffermcrae25 October 2018
I have yet to make it through an episode without laughing out loud and I'm already on Season 3 after finding this show two days ago. This is one of the best shows that I have ever stumbled upon. The characters are perfectly cast and each is relatable in their own way. I cannot say enough good things about this show. Plus, Stevie and David are officially my favorite TV duo of all time.

Watch this show!!
369 out of 421 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most SUPRISING shows ever!
stormslinger4 January 2021
I had skipped over this show several times and have heard people raving about this show. My wife and I started watching this over the New Years weekend and have to say....WOW. This show is amazing! The writing is absolutely brilliant, the casting is perfect and I haven't found an episode yet (halfway through season 4) that I haven't laughed in. The old Riches to Rags storyline works brilliantly because at first, the Rose's are disgusted by everything. Throughout the show, they discover new selves after opening up to the town, it's people and the support of the community only seen in small town life. They all grow from their experiences on the show and they become such a lovable family.

The humor in this show is sublime. It is well-timed, sarcastic, dark and hysterical. David Rose (dan Levy) is the character that steals the show for me. His facial expressions, retorts and self awareness makes for an absolute riot of a time!

Listen to the reviews on this show and give it a chance...It definitely will not leave you "Up Schitt's Creek"!!
53 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It grows on you!
haoweenie26 March 2019
I had a hard time getting into it with the first couple episodes, but after learning about the characters it really gets good. I really enjoy it a lot. It's just a fun show to binge!! And Dan Levy (David)makes the show!!!
188 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply the best!
kmichaels-062053 July 2019
"Schitt's Creek" is about love and humanity, told in an absolutely hilarious way. The show gets honest laughs and the characters become like family. It is simply one of the best comedies of all time. It is certainly THE most important comedy to have prominent LGBT characters (sorry "Will and Grace"). A must see. Creator/star Daniel Levy is a comedic wunderkind. With the show ending with its 6th season, I can't wait to see what he does next.
174 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet, slow buzz; I love it!
anon99991 February 2015
A killer cast mixing vets with fresh faces, Schitt's Creek is a great new cable comedy (although it airs on network TV in Canada.) The cinematography and production design remind me of Shameless; the sharp writing and unique characters remind me of Silicon Valley. The slow and steady pace reminds me of the Christopher Guest movies that O'Hara and Levy were in. It's a rich pedigree indeed. And it doesn't disappoint.

I was puzzled why so many people didn't like it initially, but I think I get it: with a title like that, some people must have been expecting something juvenile, and laugh-a-minute. Schitt's Creek is much much better than that.

The confidence on the part of the filmmakers is evidenced by the lack of a laugh track, and further, the musical score is used sparingly. It can be hilariously funny, but what really hooks me is that it has a heart and a sweetness that other shows might be afraid to show. There are no characters in the show that are unlikeable.

It favors character development over easy laughs, and it may take a while for people to catch on to it, but to me this is a sweet slow buzz, and I am addicted.

Can't wait for more.
373 out of 445 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A granny crushing on David Rose! :)
backofthevan1 September 2019
I'm one of the many who, I admit, expected absolutely nothing from a show called Schitt's Creek, so never bothered to even have a look in. Well, I'm here to say I have never been more wrong about a television program!

Absolutely love this, and I feel sorry for those who don't get the abundant clever-but-subtle humour that has obviously gone straight over their heads and caused them to leave bitter, whining, negative reviews. Too bad for them, but it's their loss.

Schitt's Creek grew on me episode by episode, so much so that I binge-watched the first 4 seasons on Netflix over a weekend! Once in, I couldn't leave! It just gets better and better and I didn't want it to end. I am now watching series 5 and will be awaiting the sadly final series come January 2020 (I hope).

I read too many negative reviews from people whining about CBC nepotism and the fact that Dan Levy got a job on this show through his father, so please take note: Dan Levy is the creator of Schitt's Creek, so it could be said he gave his father this job. Together they put this show together, and by bothering to read the credits it's clear that Dan wrote and directed (I think) many of the episodes.

On top of that, he plays David brilliantly! His sweetness, fashion obsession, insecurity, need for approval and wit are so cleverly played. People complaining about Dan Levy and his facial expressions: Hello! Those are part of his brilliant performance as David. All the characters express so much with just a glance, an eyebrow twitch or the sardonic curl of a lip -- words aren't even necessary with actors this accomplished! Daniel Levy: you have brought joy to my heart with your writing and portrayal of David Rose!

Alexis Rose is annoying, dreadfully so at first. But she learns, she evolves, she grows as time passes. As does David. They are very believable as brother and sister, even sometimes displaying similar mannerisms and expressions. Such clever writing, acting and directing.

I have laughed out loud watching Schitt's Creek. I have felt delighted, annoyed, surprised, cringey, charmed and deeply touched. Season 4 episodes Open Mic and The Olive Branch brought tears to my eyes. "That" scene in Olive Branch I have rewatched about a dozen times and will watch again and again. (Avoiding spoilers here so not saying more than that.)

David Rose. I just want to put my arms around him, give him a big hug, tell him he's beautiful and good and right and that everything will be okay.

Love, love, love Schitt's Creek. Love the humour, the satire, the subtle jokes and the big, fat broad ones, and most of all I love the love. It's a beauty!
145 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I grew to love every single character
vivlet26 May 2019
With a title like "Schitt's Creek" you'd think that this show would be full of nothing but crass jokes. That couldn't be further from the truth. It's full of heart, and somehow this snobby, annoying rich family grows on you more and more with each episode. By the end of Season 4 I had tears dripping down my face because of how these characters have found love through immense personal growth. My favs are David and Moira, but even though I found Alexis mostly annoying, I grew to love even her in the end.

I'm so glad I had this recommended to me by friends who insisted I watch it, because I never watch these types of sitcoms otherwise.

Thank you Dan Levy for coming up with this concept! I listened to him talk about the development of this show through a podcast and I have to say, I hope he writes more shows in the future.
68 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Funny Contrary to the Negative Reviews
bmccallum44427 January 2015
I don't know why so many negative reviews have been written about this show. Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are classics and it's great to see them back working together. Eugene's son is hilarious and I find their over the top impressions of each of their characters to be spot on. The actress playing the daughter in particular is demonstrating how I see the attitude and behaviour of a lot of the young people today- shallow, vacant and self absorbed. I find this show to be clever yet silly at the same time. Read between the lines and stop expecting this to be like every other tired sitcom out there. I find this show to be very refreshing and I look forward to seeing more episodes. I have never taken the time to do a review before on IMDb but because of the negative comments I felt I had to say something as I hope people will open their minds and give it a chance.
361 out of 453 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show so much
jlieske-8560113 March 2019
This show is so enjoyable to watch. The acting is something else and really gives the show some spunk. All the characters in the town are so weird and unique in their own way. It is amazing seeing a wealthy family blend with the people of Schitt's Creek. The facial expressions and voices of the entire rose family makes me laugh every time. I also absolutely love the sarcasm from Stevie, as she continues to encourage the stuck up attitude of the entire Rose family. Very good show for laughing and casual viewing!
80 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this show!!!
samanthapalmese4 December 2020
The first season or two I didn't like this show that much. I thought nothing happened in the plot and it wasn't that funny. Season 3 and on I was obsessed with the show and I'm now rewatching. I think ANYONE could watch this show and enjoy it, just give it time. It's so funny and even better on a rewatch. The peak in my opinion is the Cabaret storyline in season five. I'm a huge theatre nerd and seeing theatre really help someone gain confidence made me soooo happy. Additionally, the character Alexis has some of the best character growth I've ever seen on tv. Everyone in the show is phenomenal and there's not an episode that I don't like. Schitts Creek is simply the best!!!
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
almost TOO funny
henryllama7 April 2019
Amazingly good series--LOVE all the actors in it!! but Eugene & Daniel Levy steal the series...with their humor & eyebrows...greatest series I've seen in a LONG while!! THE BEST SERIES ON TV!!
82 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
lizs12897 March 2019
I love this show. I was given the heads up by the UK tv/radio listings magazine Radio Times, of all things. Fortunately, Netflix was gifted to us and we thought we'd give it a try. Well, once my other half and I started watching, we couldn't stop. We've watched 4 seasons in about 3 weeks or so. This should give some idea of how good this show is. The draw was the wonderful Eugene Levy but the other cast members are absolutely perfect, especially Dan Levy and his fabulous character David. I just love the way some of the cast appear to be desperate to giggle at some points, indicating to me they are having a ball. Great writing and performances. Must also mention Catherine O'Hara and the clothes and wigs! I hope Netflix show season 5 soon. Withdrawal symptoms have set in already! ,
81 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Supremely Funny and Suprisingly Emotional
pavithranrbharath10 May 2019
I was the most sceptical person going into the show but when the season progressed the characters got a great depth despite the quirky setup. The site is suprisingly Emotional that makes the characters much more relatable considering the situation they are in.
54 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SIMPLY THE BEST
noahterry15 December 2020
I absolutely adore this show. I haven't seen a show like this in years. When I finished, I instantly started again and upon my second viewing enjoyed even more. STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WATCH SCHITT'S CREEK NOW!!
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much fun
samthejudgeamos16 July 2021
From cringeworthy to downright adorable characters, who just got me hooked almost immediately. I'm sad it's finished and loved every episode. Sometimes I laughed so much I was in danger of an old lady moment...

First class fun.
Overwhelmingly Phenomenal
chitwtay15 July 2021
I cannot recommend this show enough. The relationships are so real, and so raw, and touched my heart in a deep way. I wish it had continued, but they ended on a perfect note.
Amazing
drbindipatel11 July 2021
Loved each and every character , best watch of my lock down in India.
Catherine ooooo'haraaaaa!!!
joragui328 July 2021
Omg, just because of "The Crows have eyes"....and Catherine's odd accent, I haven't laughed so much with a character in YEARS!
A wonderful - Heartwarming Comedy
jordanmansell_27 July 2021
At first I kept skipping past this show on Netflix. But one day I decided to watch it as I had nothing to watch. I am so glad I started this! What a wonderful dry comedy that also has a lot of heart!

After the first couple of seasons you really feel for the characters and their stories. I got very emotional in a few episodes as you really do fall in love with each character.

Perfect writing, directing and comedic timing from all cast.

It's humbling that it is created/directed and stars many of the Levy family. (David, Johnny and Twyla)

Ps. Moria (Catherine O'Hara) is absolute comedy genius!!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Schitt's Creek is exactly what the world needs right now
kirstengrimbeek11 January 2021
This is easily one of my favourite tv shows of all time! I've just binge-watched the entire series! It's funny, heartwarming, deep...the perfect mix of everything that is life. I just can't get enough of it! It is a story about family, love, acceptance and embracing diversity...and can I just say that David's story is one of the most profound and beautiful love stories (not saying more on that as I don't want to give anything away ;-))! Watch it...please - it's what the world needs right now!
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!
evangharrison30 January 2015
I think this show is refreshing and smart. It's a bit quirky so I can see it not being to everyone's comedic taste but I just love it. Way to go Dan and Eugene for capturing the ridiculousness of "rich people" reality TV when creating this sitcom. Dan Levy's character is amazing and Catherine O'Hara is great - love seeing her again! Excellent characters, good pacing and great writing. It's nice to see a hip comedy on CBC that caters to a wide age-range of viewers. I'm definitely looking forward to watching how the characters evolve and crossing my fingers that the story remains strong and that the show has another season.
168 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish I wouldn't have waited so long
lilmrshaynes28 July 2019
We just randomly started watching this show a week or so ago and finished it today. Such an underrated and hilarious show! Give it a shot and you'll fall in love with it. So well written.
35 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is funny!
AdjectiveDisney22 January 2015
I see so much negativity about this show so felt the need to login and write a review.

This show is funny. It's dry/sarcastic type humour, they may be confused about the show actually being funny since there is no laugh track.

Is it the funniest show I have ever watched? No. But it is quite funny, the main characters are fairly likable, and for once on a new series the actors can actually act.

It's not a show everyone will find amusing, but it has it's moments, and is worth watching - so far.
175 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.