The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) Poster

Had great ideas but couldn't hold itself together
Thekeybaldemasterrises6 February 2019
I guess I'm that one person who didn't like this movie because it has an insanely high score on Rotten Tomaotes. I loved the first movie and actually quite enjoyed Lego Batman. Didn't see Ninjago but I was still excited for the Lego Movie sequel. I attended an early screening a couple weeks ago and I'm sad to say I was pretty let down by it. I was actually shocked that Phil Lord and Chris Miller we're still heavily involved in the script because I had vibes that a writer's room made this movie, but nope they wrote the screenplay. Don't get me wrong, the script has great ideas about unity and friendship in dark times like we live in right now, but the story just wasn't as smooth as it could've been leading into that big theme of the film. It might be because I got older since the last film but the jokes fell a little flat for me and the action scenes were just no where near as memorable. There's an ongoing joke between Batman and the supposed villain who wants to marry him and she sings songs to persuade the main characters. But the song just isn't funny and it's really bizarre. I would've been more forgiving of the jokes if the story had been more interesting too but it lost steam for me pretty quickly. The big twists were either predictable or not as impactful because of the surprise factor the first film had. I really don't know what went wrong here. I just wasn't moved by any of it like I was with the first film and even Lego Batman to a certain extent. It seems like WB has aimed this movie for even younger audiences than before which is fine that's what the movie is made for, but when the first one was so genius it's just hard to like this movie. I personally enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon 3 more than this and highly reccomend that for your next animated film instead of the Lego Movie 2. It's not a terrible film, but it severely lacks the humor and surprise factor the first film did so well. 6/10.
66 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything (For The Most Part) Is Awesome, Again
Gresh8546 February 2019
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part-written by this decade's legit greatest animated movie screenwriters, Chris Miller and Phil Lord (who make most of Disney's recent attributes seem like child's play),-comes off as a passably tolerable, vibrantly decorated childrens' feature that later on blossoms itself into a flamingly witty childrens' AND adults' feature that's bound to electrify the little ones while maybe even stuffing the parents with un-toughening amounts of misty-eyed, raw emotion.

So a little background on my experience with the first one. Most people seem to have deemed it as "one of the best animated movies of the decade" back in 2014. I'm not messing around though when I say that I wholeheartedly think that The LEGO Movie IS the best animated movie of the decade! To this day, I view it as the most unexpectedly "awesome" movie I've ever witnessed in my entire life. So as prophesied, I was pleading for this sequel to live up to its predecessor-despite disliking the watery trailers/teaser trailers/teaser teaser trailers/whatever configuration of a trailer I left out-and not bail-out like Hollywood's most popular, trivial, hop-scotch prequel/sequel/spinoff cash grabs.

For the first half of this movie, I can't lie, I was getting a tad concerned that this movie was going to suffer from major sequelitis due to its awfully turbo, too-meta-for-it's-own-good formula-that might I add, has become quite established already since we've seen this recipe fabricated more productively in three other LEGO movies. This mundane scheme appeared to be leading this movie off into oblivion. But, once the film gets kicking, it GETS kicking. The nucleus of this film starts to reveal itself as an emulate of the original LEGO Movie, thanks to its deftly kiddie-like version of a Christopher Nolan screenplay.

The Second Part decides to traverse off into another domain of family morals that sharply resonates as another clever parallel between the real world and the LEGO world that had me, by fair means, moved. Additionally, there are boatloads of themes that are acutely wholesome-although, slightly trite-that kids can blissfully digest. Also, there are some good, good twists in here which ultimately, sustains the LCU's (LEGO Cinematic Universe's) streak of surprises.

Yes, it's not quite as authoritative or proficient as the original but, gosh-darn it, I can't deny that I was meticulously spellbinded by this rib-tickling sequel. Everything is totally not not awesome this time around. (Verdict: B-)
47 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Move by a figure
BiiivAL7 March 2019
The theme of the cartoon is very close recently in our family. We have constant wars for the right to own toys. Yes, and we partly feel the pain of leg-bitten Lego details.

Tellingly, the cartoon turned out to be very musical and cheerful. There is no such thing as in Lego-Ninjago. Everything is simple as 2x2, and this is interesting.

New heroes get acquainted with old ones, the "fathers and children" problem has disappeared, a new one has appeared - the oldest and youngest child in the family.

Our hero is still cheerful and cheerful, always young, always with coffee. His girlfriend asks him to grow up, but her request will turn her sideways. It is impossible to change a person for the sake of his, for it is not given to anyone except the one responsible for the change of personality. The new characters, which appeared in the second part, are as charming and attractive as the characters in the past film. They will be liked even by Batman Vasilyevich, the eternal loner.

In the cartoon can be found in the full composition of the Justice League. In general, there will be many references to other studio projects. This will appeal to adults, children are unlikely to appreciate it.

Total. An interesting project for both children and adults: mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, great-grandmothers, great-grandfathers, aunts, uncles, and so on.

Have you bought a ticket yet?

7 out of 10
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another clever, heartwarming 90-minute toy commercial
wesbdavis8 February 2019
I was sceptical that a sequel to The LEGO Movie could be pulled off, given that movie's twists and turns in the final act. But Lord & Miller's script pulls it off again. It doesn't have the same surprise, but it retains the heart and love of the product that makes it go beyond a "toy commercial" in to a true heartwarming, entertaining, and most of all, funny movie with a great theme embedded in it. It doesn't quite reach the heights of the predecessor, but it comes so very, very close. It'll be hard not to find something or someone to love in this movie.
48 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpectedly awesome
gaspari-alan9 February 2019
As I accompanied my son to the movies I wasn't expecting much for myself but boy was I wrong. This movie is hands down one of the best animated movies I have watched in a long time if not ever. Funny parts for kids as well as adults, with deep, emotional, heart warming story that makes you think about the movie for a few more days.

I see lots of "critics" mark this as a toy commercial. It sure may be a commercial but makes you think how such a refreshing story (in a commercial) puts all other animated movies to shame.
30 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adults Can Enjoy This Cute Movie
gichanny7 February 2019
I really like this kind of movies that make us laugh contiuously. I think LEGO Movie is not only for kids but grownups. There're several factors that grownups can laugh at.(You recall Bruce Willis? Ha!) Hope these would be trilogy.
48 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything is Less Awesome
thirtyfivestories8 February 2019
Five years removed from the infectious first installment, comes a serviceable extension of a story that already had a proper ending. The subtitle The Second Part is surely a half truth considering how this narrative slapped together by the original writers Christopher Miller and Phil Lord seems tacked on in a "Oh let's take a victory lap then" sense. The new director Mike Mitchell is planted into a zero sum game as he tries to reignite the novelty of the first film while propelling a more mature plot that Miller and Lord insisted on being needlessly convoluted. This sequel comes off as a afterthought worthy to stand beside the other spinoff LEGO films, but lacks all of the magic of its predecessor.

The magic present in The LEGO Movie resides in the playful allegory of capitalism mixed with the earned nostalgia of the animation's medium. Not to mention the brilliant reveal of a child's imagination directing the entire story. These are all elements revisited the second time around, but the trick has already been explained by the magician. The world of Brickville goes through sufficient changes almost immediately once toddler-sized LEGO creations attack with unrivaled fury. The brick civilization reverts to a Mad Max world after the invincible fat-bricked organisms regularly search and destroy anything colorful or shiny.

Through some less-than-subtle live action mirage shots early in the film, its apparent that Finn (Jadon Sand) the boy mastermind in the first film is being plagued by his younger sister Bianca (Brooklynn Prince). Her entry-level LEGO creations clash with his more involved and complex structures, and the result is a sibling pair never learning to play in symbiosis. Of course this conflict is merely implied before the lazy live action finale that resolves the paper thin dispute, and wholly lacks the gusto of the first movie's twist. The jig is already up from scene one of the sequel, because we are aware of the children's narrative dictatorship, so none of the LEGO characters' sentience ever feels authentic.

Chris Pratt returns to voice Emmet a happy-go-lucky construction worker who retains a life of cheer in the apocalyptic wasteland. Elizabeth Banks also reprises her role as Lucy, the brawn and brains to Emmet's fumbling optimism. Lucy desperately attempts to calibrate Emmet's persona to something more appropriate to the ruined world they now live in, but he maintains the "everything is awesome" outlook that figures problematic in a much more adult environment. In a hardly tongue-in-cheek fashion, a character outright states the thesis of the movie to be "a statement on the waning affects of adolescence on imagination." This stands as the most egregious example of "meta exploitation," but several runner ups tail close behind.

Falling victim to exhausting cleverness, LEGO Movie 2 doesn't know when to edit its goofs. When you merely reformat the first film's plot to fit another child builder, new additions need to elevate the otherwise regurgitated formula. These additions include ramping up the meta meter to 11 and including two more banger tracks to hopefully burrow into the viewers' minds. The main attraction song here has a hook the repeats endlessly, "This song's gonna get stuck inside your head." Oh and I mustn't forget the cameos, which come with This is the End regularity, and if you can imagine, with far less originality.

I didn't waste your time by running you down a plot synopsis for good reason. The film plays with your expectations in a cheap and unearned fashion without offering any reasonable explanation upon the conclusion other than, "We just wanted to plant red herrings, because...reasons." Screenwriters will go to great (and absurd) lengths to make an unoriginal script appear more interesting. This parasitic sequel will deliver many chuckles and feels to audiences that have already surrendered to the committee-made trajectory of the LEGO universe, but I feel somber for those choosing to double feature this lackadaisical copy with its bold predecessor.
41 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is everything I wanted of the sequel and MORE
ferdimension8 February 2019
I love a lot the original film (Is one of my favorites of all times), and I was excited they were gonna make a sequel in the moment I saw the ending of the first one. And after 5 years of waiting, It was not disappointing. I went so happy to see that this is the sequel I wanted to see and more. There's a lot of things that I love of this one: The story, the animation, the unexpected plot twists, the relationship between Emmet and Lucy, the fact that this movie is about both (While the first one was about Emmet), the jokes, the heartwarming moments, the dramatic tension of the film, how Emmet learns to grow up and Lucy how to be more soft, how it conects with Finn (The boy of the first one) and her sister and some other surprises that it left me laughing and droping my jaw down with some shocking moments. I would say, not all the jokes works in this one (There are some dumb jokes that are obviously made for the kids), but this is the sequel I was waiting to see all those five years Is not necessarily better than the first one, I would say, this one is at par with the original, and is an improvement over the last two movies we got in 2017 (The LEGO Batman is still pretty good, while Lego Ninjago is the weakest of the franchise). I really want to see a third one with taking the idea of the boy grown up and not being interested with playing Legos anymore and how it would affect this to the characters and the world they build up. But for now on, this one is just awesome. Maybe I will watching this one again in theaters.
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I almost fell asleep
Jack_C_22 February 2019
The first half of the movie is just a struggle. The plot was boring and plodding, and you could not connect with any of the characters except Emmet. The second half has more excitement but still suffered through two terrible musical numbers and predictable plot twists you could see coming from a mile away.

Almost all of the magic from the first movie has dissipated, and we are left with the wrinkled prune that is Fox's shameless attempt at cashing in. Incredibles 2 this is not.
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome Once Again!!!!
jayham-999758 February 2019
The Lego Movie 2 is very well crafted, and once again did a clever job at its emotional message just like first one. It's what I've always wanted for a sequel to do and that Catchy Song did its job perfectly.

🎵 This song is gonna get stuck inside your head 🎵
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother.
dderek-4656411 February 2019
The first Lego movie was great. The Batman one and even Ninjago movies were pretty good. This one is just lame. It doesn't take long to figure out that this whole movie is about the brother and sister fighting while playing with Legos. That premise is easy to figure out since the ending of the first Lego movie was about the dad and son fighting. I kept waiting for this movie to get interesting, it never did. My wife, who is a big Lego fan was even thinking of walking out. This whole movie is one big lovey, touchy, feel good movie or it leads up to that. There really is no villain in this movie. The best part of the movie was listening to the song while the credits were playing. The rest of the movie was just plain boring.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horribly weak plot and kissing up to social trends
pgermroth18 February 2019
That was the first movie in many years we walked out before the end. The story barely had a direction, was not really entertaining and had the bad taste of political correctness. How Hollywood can ruin everything these days! Wasted time and money.
39 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A HUGE Disappointment!
arthurjason-135939 February 2019
The first LEGO movie is hands down one of my top ten FAVORITE movies ever! And when they announced the sequel, I was (obviously) excited but when the trailers were released, it didn't look very good. And after seeing it, I was right. The story was very boring and the characters from the first film were ruined. And I don't understand why this movie is getting so many positive reviews. Just ignore this movie and go watch the awesome original movie.
30 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does a good job coping with the success of the first movie.
dekokjasper7 February 2019
Personally, I didn't go see this movie with very high expectations. Because, whilst the first Lego Movie could work with the fact that the audience wasn't aware of the origins of the movie's story (this origin being a child's imagination), this movie had to work with an audience aware of this origin. The movie accepts this and integrates scene's with real actors in the movie. This, luckily, isn't done to an extend where it would be annoying and distracting from the story being portrayed with Lego bricks. It does, however, try to replace the reveal of the first movie, with another reveal. Sadly, this reveal isn't even close to being on the same level as the reveal of the first movie. It turns out to be a bit cliché, which I felt a bit disappointed about. Once again, the filmmakers have some great references to other franchises. These references make for some great laughs. The jokes in this movie are simple and not too hard to understand, but aren't childish. This makes the movie a fun ride for child, teenager and adult. As a standalone movie, I feel it lacks world- and character-building. The movie throws characters at you, without (re-)explaining their origins to you. I feel like you are expected to have seen the first movie, because of this. This movie overall does a really good job for people looking for a fun ride. It is far from a bad movie, but there were some possibility's for it to be a better one.
26 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
bangel33229 February 2019
I got roped into seeing this with my friend and our kids, and I went in with a bad attitude prepared to hate it. I think I actually liked it more than the kids!! It's really funny, well written for the kids to enjoy but also a lot of adult jokes in there with a great cast. Really recommend.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What kid would possibly like this movie?
ejwaf-9836324 February 2019
One adult woman actually laughed during the movie and it sounded like she was trying to overdo it to get her daughter interested. My kid hasn't played with his Lego sets since he watched this movie. Whoever green-lit this movie was an insider threat with a grievance against the company.

"Hah! A funny reference from the 1980s!" "Hah! A cameo from a movie kids can't watch!" "Hah! A Duplo character, designed poorly for even toddlers, just turned it into a musical!" "Oh, look! Thanks to the lesson from the last movie, all the kids Lego sets are now just piles of crap!" "Oh, good lesson! Boys, or any older sibling, shouldn't be upset when their little sister steals their lego sets and redesigns them."
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feminist bullcrap
jacksonsohl16 February 2019
When of the first lines of the general is "you did all the work and this MALE took all the credit" if a movie contains that line you are in for a long ride
34 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As AWESOME as the first one
pesanojr9 February 2019
If you could see past the cute part on the first one, and really understand that the whole point of the first one, you will probably love this one as well. A tale that spreads love and shows you it is more than laughs. It's childlike imagination, childlike love, and how family works. A great story is tucked into both of these movies. A parent will see it right from the start. A child will love the humor and goofy things happening. A teen will pick up on some of the adult humor. All around, perfect!
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Disappointing
mrexcitement-1605421 February 2019
Wait until it comes to television, so you can walk out with the push of a button.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything's NOT Awesome
ethanbeard6 February 2019
I absolutely fell in love with The LEGO Movie. It was creative, unique, and surprisingly heartfelt. Unfortunately, none of these words could be used to describe The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part. While it is a far cry from bad, it never manages to recapture what made the original so special.

Let's start with the pros. The animation is still as excellent and smooth as it was in the last film, and I continue to marvel at how the animation team is able to replicate the stop-motion look. The voice-acting is still top-notch and I enjoyed the performances from the few new characters. As well, many of the jokes were very funny and, although Phil Lord and Chris Miller did not write this film alone, it is apparent that this is still their specific style of humour. The concept of the film is very interesting and provided some smart scenes that drew parallels to the real-world aspects of the film. Finally, the film was very fast-paced and moved along quickly, therefore I was never bored or felt as though a scene went on too long.

Now, time for the cons (and unfortunately, there's plenty). What made the first film so unique in my opinion was its heartfelt ending and message about creativity and being yourself. This film tries to replicate that with its own emotional message, but fails mainly due to the storyline feeling very messy and unfocused. It doesn't feel as cohesive as the original did because, unlike the first film, this one has its characters split up for the most part, encountering different obstacles and trying to reach different goals. The writing didn't feel lazy by any means, but didn't feel as creative or special as the first. Also, many of the jokes were bad. REALLY bad. Luckily, the movie moves so quickly that it never lingers on any one joke for too long, but I was left thinking about some of the worst ones even after they ended. There are a few new characters in this film and, while I said that the performances were good, I didn't love these new characters. Rex Dangervest is the most interesting out of the bunch and his interactions with Emmet are a highlight, however Queen Whatevra Wanabi was SO annoying. It was hard to get through scenes with her. What made it even worse was that they had a pretty cool new character that could've taken the Queen's place in the story: General Meyhem. Unfortunately, she doesn't do anything in the film and is around for little to no reason, yet she has an interesting design and the helmet on her head adds a mystery that could've been interesting had it been explored more. Another thing that left me scratching my head was the inclusion of a few musical numbers. They were catchy songs, I'll give them that, but they had no place in this film and made it feel like a completely different world than the first one. As well, there is a twist that is very obvious to anyone paying attention, though after it's explained a little more it becomes more interesting.

Overall, the film is still funny, charming, and better than a lot of crappy animated films you'll find out there, it just suffers from an unfocused story and a director that cannot live up to the standards set so high by Lord and Miller. Not bad, but not so awesome either.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing Sequel
davidjunderwood15 February 2019
After the very enjoyable first movie and fun looking trailers, I had hope this movie would be good, it wasn't. The movie is filled with cultural references if you have young kids they won't get. The elements of character development aren't really that great, and to be honest I really didn't stop viewing this movie as a commercial like I did in the first film. Anyways, I recommend not seeing this movie in theaters and waiting for it to come out on dvd or digital services.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depressed my son
ejwaf9 February 2019
My 12 year old son loved the first movie, but fell asleep during this one. He left the theater saying it was just so bad he never wanted to watch it again. He didn't understand why they made it so girly and cringy. For the parents, there are many in jokes about movies the kids have never seen. The metaphysics is confusing without any in-universe explanation. The message for the audience is that masculinity is bad and Lego needs more girls to buy their products because the boys are now playing video game apps. The entertainment industry needs to learn nuance in their social agenda, because masculinity and feminism are neither good nor bad on their own. Each trait can be beneficial in context and each can be abused. It's not a tug of war game in absolutes to win the culture. Let boys be boys and girls be girls and teach morality, whether in a masculine way or a feminine way, regardless of where they fall on the spectrum.
42 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was really bad.
alexjwebb19 February 2019
I must have watched a different movie than a lot of other people. I promise won't spoil the plot because there really wasn't one. I also won't spoil any funny moments because there really weren't any.

I saw this movie for free as a part of an appreciation celebration at work. The whole theater room was rented out for our employees. After the screening, I didn't talk to a single person afterwards that thought it was good. I don't even recall a single scene that led to any laughter in the room. Probably one of the first times in our company's history there was a unanimous opinion about something so I guess it was a good team building event after all.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really slow and boring! Not as good as the 1st
mj-809869 February 2019
OMD! Went to watch this movie with my son, over excited as the first one was awesome! However, as the movie started it was very slow and dragged. Movie was more like a musical. My son felt super bored and was wishing for the movie to end. Not sure how this movie got 7/10?
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved the original, they should have left the sexism out of this one too
samyoung-8264813 February 2019
The original Lego movie was witty and offbeat. It was a breath of fresh air from the staleness (super-hero and sequel factory) of Hollywood.

For whatever reason, the writers decided to push the sexism in this one - and like all other recent sexist children's movies from Hollywood, it's all one-sided sexism. It shouldn't be a surprise to most people as there were a lot of comments made to this effect (outside of the main stream media).

We use to have Peanuts (50s-70s), Scooby Doo (60s-70s), Heman and She-Ra (80s-90s) and NONE of these children's cartoons indoctrinated small children with sexism. Yet, in the last 5 years, we've "advanced as a society" and worked out that one-sided sexism is a good thing?

Save your money. See Storm Boy instead. It doesn't have sexism in it. It's just a story about a boy wanting to save pelicans. If you love sexism, you'll have Storm Boy. If you aren't into sexism, you'll get far more satisfaction out of Storm Boy.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.