Thor: Ragnarok (2017) Poster

1,231 Reviews
As A Fan of Carson, Colbert, Letterman, Etc. I Really Loved It
m-486642 July 2018
I loved it. I am a big fan of stand-up comedy and this one really delivered. My baby and I often go to comedy clubs, we watch Colbert and Kimmel and even reruns of Carson on TV. Ragnarock really rocked it. Most of the jokes stuck and they were delivered with fantastic comic timing in perfect deadpan. More of the same please.
77 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MCU Rocks (get it??)
xsd-0689411 August 2018
MCU MCU rocks. hahahaa I am so ckool. This was an introduction to Mr Thor from MCU and it was funny funny marvellos and fabulous. All of us in the theatre (there was so long a queue to get in) laughed nad laughed and we all decided to start a letter writing campaign to Mr, Disney to beg for more. What are the chacnes you will be kind and make more films of MCU? We would love it.
52 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn you Marvel!!!!
harunilgin20 October 2017
Ragnarok is a neon-infused fantasy of what superhero films could look like. There are gigantic monsters and beautiful women; zombie armies and a big spooky dog; an evil witch and Jeff Goldblum, but this isn't just a wacky movie made for the sake of wackiness. Ragnarok is the child of confident filmmaking and understanding of what the Thor franchise could have always been.

It takes a character that could have always been more and makes good on that promise through competent storytelling and unbridled enthusiasm for the world. This is exactly how we should be rewarded for their fandom. There has never been a clearer example of throwing the entire kitchen sink at a single title and having every single washer and lug-nut of that porcelain mechanism land in perfect order than Ragnarok.
474 out of 840 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This wasn't a Thor movie at all!
vdmakwana9 February 2018
May be this is mostly targeted for children to teenage aged audiences. Humorous, colorful, C.G.I packed, with retro soundtracks. Making a comedy movie formula has worked on Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool already, that doesn't mean that it has to be imposed in Thor too.

Not bad if you have cheap tickets, but don't pay extra for IMAX/3D experience (we watched in 3D).

**SPOILER ALERT AHEAD**

• Hulk's (and of course Dr. Strange's) character is somewhat forced into the film. Even his CGI looks cheap too.

• Odin, why bother casting him in the first place? The all-father, one of the most powerful characters of Thor franchise looks tired and bored to continue with the series.

• Valkyrie, is she supposed to be a musclebound warrior or some glamorous cat-walking (cheap) cosplaying model?

• Karl Urban, "Executioner" again. Great choice but poorly portrayed. You once played Judge Dredd Karl, remember that?

If it was supposed to be an (officially) funny movie, Korg was the best!!!
120 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Bad
randy_orton_fan4 November 2017
In the comics, Ragnarok killed every Asgardian, including Thor, and he was gone for years from the comics. The darkest story in Thor's history.

So of course Marvel Studios makes it a comedy.

There is nothing to this movie but jokes. It's quips, pratfall, anus jokes, Hela's kind of lame, Hulk and Thor are a comedy duo. And Thor helps Loki bring Surtur to Asgard so he can destroy it. Let me repeat that in case I wasn't clear. THOR HELPS DESTROY ASGARD AT THE END.

It's just so bad.

Some of the action was really good, but the forced humor didn't work in this movie.

At least Marvel Studios has finally admitted that comedy is their main focus.

Getting stellar reviews, of course. Because critics love the MCU and will just pretend they're masterpieces when they're not. This movie was terrible.

Critics call it "FUUUUNNNN". But it was just lame.

I wish I would have saved my money, or burned it. At least if I burned it I still would have wasted money but I wouldn't have sat through this.

It sets the final stage for Infinity War, which is going to be a bloated mess.
223 out of 394 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murder of character
v-chowdhrie4 November 2017
If the movie can't be serious about an apocalypse and just goofs around in nearly every scene then its certainly the murder of Thor as we have seen in comics. One cannot emotionally connect to absolutely anything, death of Odin or Thor losing an eye or destruction of Mjolnir or extinction of Aasgard as we know it. Movie is perfect example of killing the plot with over use of humor, jokes is on us.
381 out of 688 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joke, jokes, more jokes
dumitrescu-robert9213 November 2017
Was this movie a crappy comedy? Why so many people liked it so much? What was this movie about? What was the purpose of all the jokes? Is this only for kids?

Things that bothered me: Ragnarok is supposed to mean the end of the "world" but no one took it seriously. Hela is about to conquer the world and kill everybody let's make a little joke. A fight started, oh, please, another little joke. Thor steps on a banana and falls down, ahahaha, funny. Loki - 0 power in all the movie, 0 spells, 0 abilities, just nothing, where was his power, he was so useless and did almost nothing in all the movie. Hulk - personality of a teenage boy on steroids. Thor - so funny, oh my god, joke after joke. Is he THOR or the kid of Deadpool?

I had so high expectations but this movie targeted only the kids with all the not funny jokes.
361 out of 651 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Choked by Jokes, Thor- Fishing for Funny Gags - Beginners Gude
groverjon31 October 2017
If you like goofball comedies it's great.

If you like big shiny CGI and blustering action sequences and fights its great.

If you like high campery and pantomime villains -ITS AMAZING.

If you like endless jokes at the expense of any real character or story development in place of any type of gravitas and epicness-ITS PERFECT.

I personally don't like much of the above....

You'll see it and forget about it 30mins later but tell all your friends how funny it was....

One redeeming feature- it felt like a zany comic book made into a film and wasn't mopey and angsty like recent X-men MCU offerings.
257 out of 460 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Wreck-narok!
alvmanalm9 November 2017
Thor: Ragnarok should be about the twilight of the Norse gods and the end of all things (or at least Marvel's version of it). It should be darker than the Dark World. It's not. In fact, it has almost nothing to do with it. But it may well be the twilight of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Or it would be, if we were to stop watching such pauper productions. Marvel movies don't need to be comedies to work. In fact, they shouldn't be comedies at all. They can have elements of comedy, but that's entirely different. Many marvel heroes have a sense of humour, despite their troublesome lives; even through their hardships, they are many times portrayed as having a sense of the comic. But they are not jokers or stand up comedians. Sure, Spiderman is very funny, but his life is one of the hardest in the Marvel universe. To portray Thor, the asgardian god of thunder, as a joker or as a comedian makes no sense at all. He is one of the most sober and serious characters in the Marvel universe. He is not human, he doesn't perceive time as we do, he doesn't think about life as we do, so it makes sense that he doesn't have a sense of humour like we humans do. We could say something similar about the Grandmaster and Hella. Specially Hella. I mean, they weren't able to introduce a single moment of seriousness in the whole movie, not even in characters that shouldn't (couldn't) be laughing like mindless puppets and posing ridiculously every time they appear on screen. It would make sense if Loki was portrayed as mischievous, but that's it. And speaking of Loki, and since this is the Ragnarok after all, they completely distorted the fact that he is the father of the three agents of the destruction of the world: Hella, the wolf Fenrir and the world serpent (there's no world serpent in the movie). Marvel movies can be successful and yet sober. Captain America: Winter Soldier is probably one the best movies of the MCU and it's as sober as it gets. Iron Man (the first installment) deals with the threat of terrorism and weapons trade; it has many comic and funny moments, it's true, but it has a very serious tone underlying it. (This Tony Stark works because of Robert Downey Jr., who is amazing, but the Tony Stark from the comics is paralyzed from the waist down - it doesn't get any more serious than that). Avengers Assemble may not be as sober, but it still manages not to become a comedy show. Sure, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 was a hit, but it was a joke. It had nothing to do with the first one. It wasn't good. In fact, it was kind of a "prequel" for Thor:Ragnarok - for these comedy shows. And if someone thinks I'm exaggerating, just think about that moment when Matt Damon is portraying Loki in that "theater play". I mean, it's absolutely ridiculous. It looks like a Jimmy Kimmel show!!! I'm sorry, but Taika Waitiki failed. Eric Pearson and Craig Kyle failed tremendously. I really hope that Infinity War isn't a "sequel" to this kind of movie. If it is...please stop. Just stop with this kind of writing. Remember that we, in the audience, are not morons, and that not only kids in their early teens go to the movies. Just think about Logan or Deadpool (not a comedy show, although extremely funny). Forget the PG system, forget the money (you'll make it anyway), forget the special fx. And please, forget this Thor and forget any ideas of turning Infinity War into something like this. If not, we'll have Thanos (Thanos!!!!) cracking jokes all the time...
269 out of 487 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels like a Monty Python' version of Thor
S_t_a_r_g_a_z_e_r29 October 2017
(There might be some spoilers ahead but very vague.)

I grew up with Marvel comics and Thor was always my favorite. None of the Thor movies were really up to the standard but as a huge fan I like them. Combined with other MCU movies which were getting better and better I had big hopes for the last Thor movie.

I can't even begin to describe the disappointment. I wanted to leave the theater by the beginning of the second act. Disney effectively destroyed everything Marvel was building all these years!

I was warned by some friends that movie was terrible but still I hoped I would like something. The Story has immense potential but it was ruined beyond belief. The Ragnarok ... the ultimate doom .... and they made a joke of it!?!?!? Sir Anthony Hopkins (Hanibal Lecter) and Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) making fools out of themselves made it even worse.

If this movie was made by someone else like the Monthy Python crew it might be fun but like this ...

I would have given it 0/10 if possible. After this movie I will certainly not going to watch Infinty Wars. Even more I will skip The Last Jedy and anything that has Disney label in the future.

This is blatant attempt to attract new fans among younger generations by appealing to their shallowness, selling them cheap tricks and distractions instead of a good story and directing.
271 out of 491 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding!
StaneSKT16 October 2017
Real or not this movie is one hell of a journey! The story is truly serious and great, the fun moments are tons! The cinematography of action scenes is just unrealistic good. Hela is one of the best MCU villain so far! Cate Blanchett just killing in it in this role. She looks sexy, furious and also got her arc in the movie, which is big step, thinking about previous Thor movies. Hulk got so many epic moments, that I just can't count. Valkyrie fits perfectly in the ne "Revengers" team such a good actress. Loki is fan favourite again! Every moment with Tom Hiddleston on screen is awesome.

The movie it's so colourful and extraordinary, so you can watch it again and again and again! The score of the movie, the intense scenes, I mean I really love this movie. Is the best one among all of the three Thor movies. Firstly because it feels like whole new story telling, and secondly it's also one of the best MCU movies.

Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe gives us truly great movies, and like a die hard MARVEL fan I appreciate that.

I will not reveal the plot or some big details of the movie, I want you to enjoy yourself first, but you'll not be disappointed at all! Hela is epic, Odin got his role in Ragnarok and there are some HUGE details that'll lead to Infinity War and you'll lose your mind when you see them.

MINOR SPOILER: Someone is coming!
292 out of 531 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel has gone totally Monty Python level silly.
ceejay-cj25 November 2017
Utter comedic crap, nothing like the comics anymore. Marvel has just given up and turned all their best dramatic stories into action comedies that have more in common with Monty Python than the source material that originally put them on the map. Watch any episode of Vikings on TV and wonder how these Asgardians were supposed to be their gods!

We now reached an era of audience acceptance of anything stupid so long as its funny, drama is too challenging for them so everything has to be regressed down to yet another silly comedy to make any money. No wonder Blade Runner 2049 can't make a buck at the box office, people have literally been nurtured to only be entertained by the dumbest level of entertainment they can get that doesn't tax them while eating popcorn and scrolling through their phones.
131 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Ragnarok officially made me give up on Cinema!
sm_style4 November 2017
After waiting for Thor: Ragnarok for years. This movie is perhaps, the WORST Marvel movie I have ever seen.

Poor story-telling, weak character development, scenes felt out of place and total 360 from what Thor is supposed to have been.

Hollywood blockbusters have been lowering the complexity of its stories to get more butts into the movie seats which include kids who might not be able to understand a more dark, realistic and complex story. This comes at the expense of adult audience who like to see a characters inits true form.

This movie is basically Logan in reverse. It is a total betrayal of the character's true nature.

The following are the movie sins committed in this flick; Warning Spoilers ahead!

1) Bad Story-line.. This story doesn't allow characters to evolve or grow, a lot of the acting seems too familiar or forced for the sake of moving the movie forward or getting a reaction out of you.

2) Everything happens so fast without explanation of events or relationships... a) Why did thor figure out that Loki was impersonating Odin now and not before? b) How was the all-powerful Odin enchanted by Loki? c) Why did Odin decide to let Hela to Invade Asgard and why did he decide to disappear? d) How did Hela break Thor's hammer? e) Why did the leader of Sakaar favorite Hulk over Thor?

2) No setup from previous events and no purpose for characters

a) Thor and Hulk somehow ended up on the same planet by accident b) Why did Dr. Strange need to be in this movie besides setting up for a thor-strange relationship in a future Marvel movie? c) Why didn't Odin hint in previous films that thor had an evil sister named Hela?

3) Bad acting

Even Tom Hiddlesto was off point, he had the usual devious smirk on his face but I sometimes wondered if he was expressing contempt at the directors of the film. Besides being a remarkable film crew with amazing actors, somehow this movie manages to bring out the worst acting of these stars.

Heres a basic breakdown of each character

Thor: A more emotional, funny and light-hearted Thor

Loki: The same devious mischief with no new tricks up his sleeve, Loki is so predictable that even Thor has figured him out.

Hela: The sorority club's biggest drama-queen, nothing mysterious or godlike about her. Even she falls into the joke frame.

Heimdall: He had some good scenes and had a nice mystical look to him but wasn't very much useful in the movie.

Grandmaster: This guy is supposed to be a ruler of a planet, instead he belongs on a SNL skit.

Valkyrie: Independent strong woman, alcoholic, with both middle fingers up in your face. Somehow this quickly triggered ghetto character manages to defeat Loki in a battle for the sake of showing how women are strong too?

Skurge: He betrayed Asgard for the whole movie and then tries to make up for it in less then 5 frames before he dies.

Bruce Banner / Hulk: Even hulk manages to turn himself into a comedian.

Doctor Strange: Earth's best sorcerer tools Asgardian gods such as Thor and Loki who should have far greater knowledge of magick then Dr. Strange.

The Executioner: somehow managed to betray Asgard by serving Hela for the entire film, but then sacrifices himself at the end and we're expected to sympathize with this guy?

Korg: This was a loony toons version of Korg

To seal the cherry on the cake, Thor basically lets and assists Asguard to be blown up to pieces, because he figures it will destroy Hela, someone who he wasn't able to defeat even with his new powers.

The disappointment I felt after watching it sure caused a big disconnect for me after I came back home only to read all the positive reviews written by Critics and users alike, which made me question if these Critics are insiders, and if the users are in fact real accounts...

I know everybody's got to make some money... but at what expense?
175 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Thor is Thor-some!
ctowyi27 October 2017
Frankly, I didn't like the first two Thor movies, the game plan was so clear from the get go. Same old "save the world" routines, brooding hero with a burden, a love connection born out of necessity and bloated battle scenes. It is the same blueprint for many superhero movies, but Thor has the God element that made the stories feel even more preposterous and ridiculous. It is hard to be vested in his quests because God don't die, hurt as much and can always employ one last deus ex machina that solves the unsolvable problem. But Thor: Ragnarok throws that over-used game plan out from Bifrost into an unknown territory, making it this year's best superhero movie. I know I know… Justice League has not descended, but looking at the trailer it doesn't take a genius to see that it will be doing the above-mentioned routine.

New Zealand director Taika Waititi seems like an unusual choice to helm Thor's third standalone movie. He has the indie root in him and he makes superbly smart comedies with oddles of heart, just watch What We Do in the Shadows (2014) and Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) to see his outstanding oeuvre. Apparently, the Marvel-Disney studios have given him full reins and he went ahead and make a comedy. But how do you inject an indie comedic vibe into a superhero franchise that has not been done before?

Essentially, Waititi throws out all the cumbersome weights that hampered Thor and tells a simpler but no less cool story about a superhero trying to get back to his home to clean house. In between he gives Thor ample opportunities to be a beer-swigging beefcake, negotiate some treacherously outlandish situations and strip him off the one thing that makes him Thor, the Mjolnir. At one point, Odin even asks a defeated Thor "What are you, the God of Hammers? " that had me laughing till my tears rolled down.

The tone is light but no less serious, populated by so many colourful characters in a vivid world trapped in impossible situations. At first I thought the introduction of Hulk in the early trailer is a misstep, but Mark Ruffalo's casting would have been close to impossible to keep under wraps. By giving Planet Hulk comic fans a look-in would have been a better move. The repartee between Thor and Hulk/Banner is so hilarious. No less funny is also the dialogue between Thor and Loki, gone is that "he ain't heavy, he is my brother" vibe and this is a Thor that will give Loki a smackdown if he is out of step.

Cate Blanchett plays Thor's estranged sister with evil relish and you don't cast Jeff Goldblum without allowing him to be Goldblum. Waititi even voices a gladiator-mentor character named Korg that practically steals all the scenes he is in. Chris Hemsworth hams it up just to a safe degree and nails all the one-liners with an A+. In fact, the whole cast seems to be having fun.

Thor: Ragnarok embraces its preposterousness and swims in a pool of ridiculousness with the deadpan and self-mocking humour hitting all the bullseyes. In the midst of it all, it still manages to tell a super duper cool story of a superhero saving his people. Yet it manages to remain fresh and zip along with a zany lightning pace. What an inspired choice for a director. The risk taken will pay huge dividends. This has superb rewatch value and I already feel like buying another ticket just to catch all the one-liners one more time. This Thor is Thor-some!
190 out of 344 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing goofball comedy
addmatthew2 November 2017
This is a goofball comedy, that contains high campery and pantomime villains, endless cheesy jokes at the expense of any real character or story development in place of any type of gravitas and epicness-ITS PERFECT.

I personally don't like it and think it is a step in the wrong direction....
205 out of 374 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's fun, it's fast, it's not flawless
svenwalbers25 October 2017
I saw the premier last night. This is definitely the best Thor movie, but let's face it... that's not a difficult thing to achieve.

It's fun from the beginning to the end. It's lightning fast, there aren't any dull moments at all, but it's missing a little gravitas. The Thor character has suddenly become the complete opposite of what he's always been. There's hardly any transition. The same goes for Loki. It works though, it just seems a bit off.

The supporting characters are fun. Hulk/Banner is great as always. Valkyrie, Korg, Grandmaster they are all colorful joys to watch.

The villains however were (as always) underwhelming. Skurge, though he gets his minute in spotlight, feels wasted. Hela, though I love the way Blanchett played her, is just a ruthless powermonger. There's hardly any background or reason to some of her actions. And Surtur well, he's just a means to an end (pun intended).

Conclusion: It's good. It really is. You'll laugh, but you'll miss a little seriousness at certain moments in the movie. And like most Marvel movies, the villains don't marvel.
116 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Ragnarok... Truly Ragnarok in all the sense of the word.
a-r-notifications5 November 2017
Whilst the movie was enjoyable I wasn't expecting a comedy. it is a slapstick comedy from Marvel or something that was created for school children. I know that you have to sell a product that doesn't mean you make an action movie or a hero movie Or a superhero movie do a total slapstick comedy full of puns and one-liners making me think I'm watching a 90s superhero movie with 2017 digital effects if you wanted to characterize this as a comedy and then probably I would have given in the higher score but since it was in my word superhero movies it deserves the lowest score that can be given the director was great but if this was meant to be a comedy nothing new or groundbreaking does not even compare to anything good only reason it is getting good reviews is because the rest of the movies in the box office are below par or not superhero movies. Expected a lot but was severely disappointed. Slot of missed opportunities.
143 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel Joy Division
cinemajesty31 October 2017
Movie Review: "Thor: Ragnarok" (2017)

Here comes the best medicine in form of another Sfiction_Action_Comedy for a price to escape all-day routines from Marvel Studios distributed by Walt Disney Enterprises Incorporated.

The dialogues vary plain out funny to world-domination menacing character of Hela, delightful performed by actress Cate Blanchett in skin-tight black-green suit.

The character of Thor, portrayed by Chris Hemsworth, has never looked better in science-fiction 1980s retro vs. contemporary upgrade with a spaceship fight sequence that delivers awes.

Director Taika Waititi and newcomer to the one-hundred fifty million Dollar plus budget league makes use of the filmmaking orchestra given with extreme wideshot action of production value splendor.

Costume and production design play the colors with delight for an eye-popping smash experience, especially in certified IMAX theaters, where green Hulk speaks up to fight Thor in the match awaited since 2012er Marvel edition of "The Avengers.

Jeff Goldblum, portraying as death-match organizing character Grandmaster, steals the show through the second act of well-placed slapstick and double-daring word plays, reminiscing the genius of "Abbott & Costello".

Minor drawback has been the Industry-spoiled rumor that there was an 95-Minute-version for pitch perfect maximum speedway result instead of the at some scenes rushed 120-Minutes-release-print.

© 2017 Felix Alexander Dausend (Cinemajesty Entertainments LLC)
62 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Popcorn-blockbustering of the highest order.
Troy_Campbell29 October 2017
Being the 17th instalment into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), and the third in the solo-Thor series—generally the least liked within the MCU—it wouldn't be surprising if this cosmic adventure showed signs of repetition and fatigue. It doesn't, not one bit. The opposite is true in fact, thanks to the unique energy and ingenuity brought from New Zealand director Taika Waititi (Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows). Waititi's comedy background is noticeably in full swing, the previously darker Thor outings traded in for a laugh-heavy vibe closer to Guardians of the Galaxy – the movie Ragnarok shares top spot with, as the MCU's funniest film. A throwaway gag about scissors from a side character made of rock (mo-capped and viced by the director himself) is pure Waititi, and the franchise's best one-liner since Chris Pratt's Starlord appreciated the artwork of Jackson Pollock. Of course a big budget means big action, and there's plenty here to thrill and delight: a tone-setting smack down of a fiery underworld demigod, a bruising gladiatorial contest between Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), an exhilarating spaceship chase, and the breathtakingly electric finale. This threequel is visually distinct too, Waititi opting for a grungy-disco 80s atmosphere over the more theatrical opulence of the first two Thor flicks. His use of slow-mo, backed to Led Zeppelin's 'Immigrant Song', for two key moments, is simply brilliant. Supporting Hemsworth, who has never been better as the macho God of Thunder, is Tom Hiddleston as fan favourite bad-good guy Loki, Cate Blanchett as the sneering God of Death Hela, Tessa Thompson as the cocky warrior Valkyrie and Jeff Goldblum as the eccentric Grandmaster, plus a raft of awesome cameos. A few minor nit picks: Idris Elba seems bored as the returning Heimdall, two previous major supporting characters (both females) are conspicuously absent, a talking Hulk doesn't quite work, and the narrative-retcon work could've been more subtle. But when a movie is this damn entertaining, a few quibbles are easily forgiven. Comfortably taking its place in the top echelon of MCU films, Thor: Ragnarok is hilarious, invigorating and popcorn-blockbustering of the highest order.
90 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jokes weren't misplaced
vedatyil19 October 2017
I know some people are worried about the humour on this movie.But they used it excellently in this flick.This movie to me,is at least on the same level with Guardians of the Galaxy 1.I mean both guardians and Thor 3 made me laugh but never felt cringe or sensed any forced jokes.There were also very intense and emotional moments in this Thor movie.The fight sequences were so damn epic.When it comes to action,this movie is close to Lord of the Rings 2.They did a good job on reflecting the epicness of the Ragnarok event. The last trailer of the movie got my attention.And I made one of the best decisions of my life by watching it.

Hela,Valkyrie,Hulk,Thor,Loki,Grandmaster they all did pretty good job.Especially Hela.She was so gorgeous and menacing at the same time. Tessa Thompson kinda surprised me with her great performance btw.
341 out of 644 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but not 10/10!!! Really!!! 10/10 is a masterpiece
MovieSoup30 October 2017
HOLD ON! before you click "unhelpful" let me just say that this movie is great and easily the best in the Thor trilogy however it does have flaws and that is why it is not 10/10. The comedy in this is really great and I like the overall feel of the film, there is a big difference in the plot compared to the other two that makes this film feel much more fresh and enjoyable. However there are pacing problems, some of the actors seem stilted and dull (especially the grand master).

The comedy is the foundation of this movie. Whilst The Dark world was a serious mess and the plot was really dark and boring, this movie keeps it very light and playful. Honestly even in the serious scenes there is a slight comedic side that doesn't take away any of the seriousness. Waititi is a great comedic director having done some really great films such as Hunt for the Wilderpeople and What We Do In the Shadows.

He has always thrown a bit of New Zealand humor and stupidity into all his films and it really helps to lift the tone and make it a bit lighter which really works well in this film. Honestly I would really recommend his other films as they are all beautifully done.

The actors who really stand out in this are Chris Hemsworth who has taken a tone shift with Thor and made him less serious and "more realistic" as a hero. Tom Hiddleston is great as always. He has not lost his gift of playing Loki well.

The Two I really did not like and Jeff Golblum and Cate Blanchett. Goldblum plays a really dull, goofy character which would work well if Jeff Golblum could play anyone else except himself. All of the characters he plays in every movie are the same character and this takes me out of the film a lot of the time. Luckily he is not a main character thank god.

Cate Blanchett plays a very boring baddie with no real personality or charisma. She is the "goddess of DEATH" and keeps on saying through out the movie that she is which doesn't add anything to anything. WE GET IT!!!!! you like death no can you try and have a personality. Her helmet as well is stupid as fu#k (which is just a side note of something I hated).

The plot of this movie is stilted with random scenes thrown in but I still enjoyed it the story. When the plot was moving forward and the pacing was actually good then the film got a lot more enjoyable. Unfortunately it was hampered by lots of "random character" moments. One thing I really did not like is that random characters are in this for no fu$%ing reason!! Doctor Strange is in this for 5 seconds and really does nothing to help that could not have been done by Thor or Loki. It is just a pointless scene that doesn't advance the plot and probably was a studio executive decision so that they can plug more movies.

The technical side was interesting but had a little flaw. The CGI was meh with no real use other than to look pretty but that's the problem now. CGI should be used to advance the plot and not really as a "look at this" device. If you like CG more than plot and character development then good for you I guess.

I loved the music in this, it fitted the lighter tone Waititi was going for and worked well. It is a lovely score of 80's synth that fits the space theme and tone and gives a sense of other world wonder. Honestly I hold music in high regard in film and this is one of the better fitting soundtracks that Marvel have done. It's mostly all score as well with only one Rock song being used to great effect in the fight scenes.

The colour palet of this movie is more vibrant than the last two films as well. More neon and less dark colours make this film a lot more enjoyable to watch visually speaking. This goes hand in hand with the music and the cinematography to create something which is really good and different from most of Marvels movies.

Overall this film is really good and I did enjoy it, however it was in the end another marvel movie with a few small changes and a great jokes. In a world where we have TONS of superhero films I just want one that breaks the mold and does something different from the norm. The last one to do that was Logan and I wish Thor Ragnarok had done more to fight against the Marvel plot conventions.
70 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joyous escapism
darcywinchester25 October 2017
In this Taika Waititi (Boy, What we do in the Shadows) directed film, written by Eric Pearson (Marvel One Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, Marvel One Shot: The Consultant), Craig Kyle (Ultimate Avengers, Hulk Vs.), Christopher Yost (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Wars: Rebels), based on comics by Stan Lee (Iron Man, Thor), Larry Lieber (Iron Man, Thor) and Jack Kirby (Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron) and starring Chris Hemsworth (Rush, Ghostbusters) as Thor.

After taking the crown from Surtur (Clancy Brown: The Shawshank Redemption, TVs Daredevil), he returns it to his homeland where Thor finds that his devious brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston: Thor, TVs The Night Manager) has taken over Asgard and hidden Odin (Anthony Hopkins: Silence of the Lambs, Thor) on Earth, but upon his death, Hela (Cate Blanchett: The Lord of the Rings, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button) God of Death and their powerful sister, comes to take the throne for herself. Thrown across the Universe, Thor is first captured by Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson: Selma, TVs Westworld), sold to Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum: Jurassic Park, Independence Day) and held captive on the planet Sakaar where he and other warriors, including Korg (an inspired turn by director Taiki Waititi), are forced to fight for his entertainment. Ultimately Thor is pitted against The Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo: Avengers Assemble, Now You See Me), but without his hammer, can Thor not only win his gladiatorial duel against his former Avenger friend but also convince and assemble a team (Hulk, Valkyrie and his untrustworthy brother) to stop Hela and prevent Ragnarok, the doom of the Asgarian civilisation? This action, adventure, comedy film hit all the right notes for me. The humour was spot on, right up my street (think Deadpool), and this and the action never felt forced. All the actors were on their A game and for me, a huge Loki fan, I have to admit that in his own small way, Korg stole the movie like Loki did in Thor. Not even the turn from Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, TVs Sherlock) could beat it.

I was pleased that Hela, the main villain, got her character arc as this has been lacking in some previous Marvel films and has for me left the baddies flat, and this time the epic fight scenes bookend the serious moments well. As perturbing as it was for a fan of the mythology for Hela and Fenrir to be used not as Loki's children, it worked for the film and Goldblum's wackiness gelled as well as Samuel L Jackson's bad guy Valentine in Kingsman. Yes it is awful when they summarily kill off some favourite characters, in some cases notably without even giving them a line, and concentrate more on Skurge (Karl Urban: Star Trek, The Bourne Supremacy) but here too they give him a meaningful character arc, he wants to be worthy and he gets his chance. Heimdall (Idris Elba: Prometheus, Pacific Rim) is busy trying to hide and save as many innocent Asgardians as he can while Hela searches for the sword that will help her start the apocalypse for other worlds. And though Banner worries that allowing himself to turn back into the Hulk may leave him that way forever, he too gets his emotional scenes when we see the cameo of Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson: We Bought a Zoo, Lucy) and his chance to shine against the terrifying Fenrir.

The soundtrack is epic in its own right, up there with GOTG1, and the film does not feel like more of the same (as some of the superhero movies have sadly started feeling), it feels back to its best. If this is to be the last Thor movie, then they gave him a great one to bow out.

Yes the movie had a few flaws (e.g. Thor has never wanted the power of ruling, Banner may stay as the Hulk), but as the best way to describe the film is pure fun, I am going to give it 10/10 despite these because that is just what most people need at the moment, joyous escapism.
70 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply epic
renofhate29 October 2017
Well for what it's worth, Thor Ragnarok is definitely a satisfying and suitable ending when speaking of this year's MCU movies. Despite enjoying Spider-Man Homecoming a little more overall, partially because there were things I didn't like about Thor Ragnarok but there was very little I disliked about Homecoming, all in all, this film is really, really good. It's explosive and fun and colorful and enjoyable and looks terrific and exquisite all throughout. Is it overdone? You decide whether or not they overdid some things for this one. I see lots of people comparing it to Guardians of the Galaxy and while I don't fully agree, I can definitely say that there are some things that are reminiscent of the Guardians' movies, but certainly not in a bad way.

What makes this film so good is its associates. They're not out of place and they're not really forced in; like, it fits perfectly, man. Everything comes together so nicely. Take Hulk for example. I was thinking, "Hulk may or may not work in this film. Could be great, could be straight out opposite." Well, overall, I think it's a good idea that they did include Hulk - even more so when they had him appear as Bruce, rather than Hulk himself. Mark Ruffalo's Hulk is by far the best one yet. Well, to me at least. Another thing I have to include is its humor. Some say it's either a little forced or it's just simply not all that funny. Well, the moments that were funny, were funny. Not much more can be said other than the fact that yeah, some stuff had me like, "Ehh.. okay", but for the most part, there's some solid laughs here and there.

Jeff Goldblum's role was unique, to say the least - but did kind of remind me of The Collector from Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't know, he just did. Not a bad thing, but you know. If I were to comment on his character, I would have to say he's pretty good. He's not amazing, but he's an interesting part of the film and makes an okay villain (assuming you would call him that). One thing that really stood out to me and made the film even more enjoyable was its brother scenes, aka, scenes that revolve around Loki and Thor together. That was good in this film. I actually enjoyed Loki in this more than I did The Avengers. And Hemsworth is superb in the film. Not a better guy out there that could have played Thor. He was the correct, undeniable greatest choice.

There's also a very good 'cameo' like role, if you will, which does add to the movie. The film also doesn't lose its identity, meaning that even though there are other characters and whatnot, it's first and foremost a Thor film.

Here's what I didn't like (or, who I didn't like, for that matter): Hela. My reasons for disliking her character are pretty much simplistic and generic, but they're not invalid by any means- she's annoying. She's boring. That's really all I can say. I mean, there's a scene in which I do love that includes her, but it's spoiler-ish, so maybe another time...

Overall, however, a great film. Bright, colorful, funny, loads of action, good character usage, and the third act is damn good! I think this is perhaps my sixth favorite MCU film overall, overtaking Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, but it is still right behind: 5- Spider-Man Homecoming, 4-The Avengers, 3-Captain America The Winter Soldier, 2-Guardians of the Galaxy and 1-Captain America Civil War. Ragnarok is a terrific film though, and it's one of this year's best.

8.5/10
93 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am broke
ufukleman19 October 2017
I ve heard good things about Logan,spider man hc,guardians 2.And they all turned out pretty good for me in different ways.

Logan is the first hero movie that made me cry.Yondu's death had a huge emotional impact on me(even more than superman's death in BvS).That huge twist about vulture being Liz's.And now this spectacular Thor movie.

I am broke now,thanks to you marvel:).

After this movie,the hulk grew on me so much.Finally they gave him some personality.Loki,Hela both were pretty good.Easter eggs were surprising.

Both funny and emotional at the same time.They showed the devastating events in Ragnarok pretty well.

You should definitely watch this movie in 3D,visuals were also amazing
117 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceeded my expectations
yoncakizil19 October 2017
This movie really exceeded my expectation.For me it is already the second best comic book movie,right after Logan.

When I ve watched the both of the trailers,I ve thought Thor 3 has the best trailer in this genre so far.Trailers really met with my expectations.

You are gonna see epic showdowns just like the way you imagined.

Glad they didn't go on serious,boring mode like they did in Thor 2.Cause that movie bored me to death just like man of steel did.

Lastly,I just wanna say that Taika Watiti is pretty damn good director who can make both good stories/plots and brilliant jokes/references(just like deadpool's humor).

Thanks again for all the joy you gave me Marvel.
220 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.