Thor: Ragnarok (2017) Poster

1,244 Reviews
As A Fan of Carson, Colbert, Letterman, Etc. I Really Loved It
m-486642 July 2018
I loved it. I am a big fan of stand-up comedy and this one really delivered. My baby and I often go to comedy clubs, we watch Colbert and Kimmel and even reruns of Carson on TV. Ragnarock really rocked it. Most of the jokes stuck and they were delivered with fantastic comic timing in perfect deadpan. More of the same please.
89 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MCU Rocks (get it??)
xsd-0689411 August 2018
MCU MCU rocks. hahahaa I am so ckool. This was an introduction to Mr Thor from MCU and it was funny funny marvellos and fabulous. All of us in the theatre (there was so long a queue to get in) laughed nad laughed and we all decided to start a letter writing campaign to Mr, Disney to beg for more. What are the chacnes you will be kind and make more films of MCU? We would love it.
62 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn you Marvel!!!!
harunilgin20 October 2017
Ragnarok is a neon-infused fantasy of what superhero films could look like. There are gigantic monsters and beautiful women; zombie armies and a big spooky dog; an evil witch and Jeff Goldblum, but this isn't just a wacky movie made for the sake of wackiness. Ragnarok is the child of confident filmmaking and understanding of what the Thor franchise could have always been.

It takes a character that could have always been more and makes good on that promise through competent storytelling and unbridled enthusiasm for the world. This is exactly how we should be rewarded for their fandom. There has never been a clearer example of throwing the entire kitchen sink at a single title and having every single washer and lug-nut of that porcelain mechanism land in perfect order than Ragnarok.
479 out of 858 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This wasn't a Thor movie at all!
vdmakwana9 February 2018
May be this is mostly targeted for children to teenage aged audiences. Humorous, colorful, C.G.I packed, with retro soundtracks. Making a comedy movie formula has worked on Guardians of the Galaxy, and Deadpool already, that doesn't mean that it has to be imposed in Thor too.

Not bad if you have cheap tickets, but don't pay extra for IMAX/3D experience (we watched in 3D).

**SPOILER ALERT AHEAD**

• Hulk's (and of course Dr. Strange's) character is somewhat forced into the film. Even his CGI looks cheap too.

• Odin, why bother casting him in the first place? The all-father, one of the most powerful characters of Thor franchise looks tired and bored to continue with the series.

• Valkyrie, is she supposed to be a musclebound warrior or some glamorous cat-walking (cheap) cosplaying model?

• Karl Urban, "Executioner" again. Great choice but poorly portrayed. You once played Judge Dredd Karl, remember that?

If it was supposed to be an (officially) funny movie, Korg was the best!!!
126 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murder of character
v-chowdhrie4 November 2017
If the movie can't be serious about an apocalypse and just goofs around in nearly every scene then its certainly the murder of Thor as we have seen in comics. One cannot emotionally connect to absolutely anything, death of Odin or Thor losing an eye or destruction of Mjolnir or extinction of Aasgard as we know it. Movie is perfect example of killing the plot with over use of humor, jokes is on us.
398 out of 726 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Choked by Jokes, Thor- Fishing for Funny Gags - Beginners Gude
groverjon31 October 2017
If you like goofball comedies it's great.

If you like big shiny CGI and blustering action sequences and fights its great.

If you like high campery and pantomime villains -ITS AMAZING.

If you like endless jokes at the expense of any real character or story development in place of any type of gravitas and epicness-ITS PERFECT.

I personally don't like much of the above....

You'll see it and forget about it 30mins later but tell all your friends how funny it was....

One redeeming feature- it felt like a zany comic book made into a film and wasn't mopey and angsty like recent X-men MCU offerings.
274 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joke, jokes, more jokes
dumitrescu-robert9213 November 2017
Was this movie a crappy comedy? Why so many people liked it so much? What was this movie about? What was the purpose of all the jokes? Is this only for kids?

Things that bothered me: Ragnarok is supposed to mean the end of the "world" but no one took it seriously. Hela is about to conquer the world and kill everybody let's make a little joke. A fight started, oh, please, another little joke. Thor steps on a banana and falls down, ahahaha, funny. Loki - 0 power in all the movie, 0 spells, 0 abilities, just nothing, where was his power, he was so useless and did almost nothing in all the movie. Hulk - personality of a teenage boy on steroids. Thor - so funny, oh my god, joke after joke. Is he THOR or the kid of Deadpool?

I had so high expectations but this movie targeted only the kids with all the not funny jokes.
374 out of 684 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding!
StaneSKT16 October 2017
Real or not this movie is one hell of a journey! The story is truly serious and great, the fun moments are tons! The cinematography of action scenes is just unrealistic good. Hela is one of the best MCU villain so far! Cate Blanchett just killing in it in this role. She looks sexy, furious and also got her arc in the movie, which is big step, thinking about previous Thor movies. Hulk got so many epic moments, that I just can't count. Valkyrie fits perfectly in the ne "Revengers" team such a good actress. Loki is fan favourite again! Every moment with Tom Hiddleston on screen is awesome.

The movie it's so colourful and extraordinary, so you can watch it again and again and again! The score of the movie, the intense scenes, I mean I really love this movie. Is the best one among all of the three Thor movies. Firstly because it feels like whole new story telling, and secondly it's also one of the best MCU movies.

Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe gives us truly great movies, and like a die hard MARVEL fan I appreciate that.

I will not reveal the plot or some big details of the movie, I want you to enjoy yourself first, but you'll not be disappointed at all! Hela is epic, Odin got his role in Ragnarok and there are some HUGE details that'll lead to Infinity War and you'll lose your mind when you see them.

MINOR SPOILER: Someone is coming!
297 out of 542 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Bad
randy_orton_fan4 November 2017
In the comics, Ragnarok killed every Asgardian, including Thor, and he was gone for years from the comics. The darkest story in Thor's history.

So of course Marvel Studios makes it a comedy.

There is nothing to this movie but jokes. It's quips, pratfall, anus jokes, Hela's kind of lame, Hulk and Thor are a comedy duo. And Thor helps Loki bring Surtur to Asgard so he can destroy it. Let me repeat that in case I wasn't clear. THOR HELPS DESTROY ASGARD AT THE END.

It's just so bad.

Some of the action was really good, but the forced humor didn't work in this movie.

At least Marvel Studios has finally admitted that comedy is their main focus.

Getting stellar reviews, of course. Because critics love the MCU and will just pretend they're masterpieces when they're not. This movie was terrible.

Critics call it "FUUUUNNNN". But it was just lame.

I wish I would have saved my money, or burned it. At least if I burned it I still would have wasted money but I wouldn't have sat through this.

It sets the final stage for Infinity War, which is going to be a bloated mess.
228 out of 413 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels like a Monty Python' version of Thor
S_t_a_r_g_a_z_e_r29 October 2017
(There might be some spoilers ahead but very vague.)

I grew up with Marvel comics and Thor was always my favorite. None of the Thor movies were really up to the standard but as a huge fan I like them. Combined with other MCU movies which were getting better and better I had big hopes for the last Thor movie.

I can't even begin to describe the disappointment. I wanted to leave the theater by the beginning of the second act. Disney effectively destroyed everything Marvel was building all these years!

I was warned by some friends that movie was terrible but still I hoped I would like something. The Story has immense potential but it was ruined beyond belief. The Ragnarok ... the ultimate doom .... and they made a joke of it!?!?!? Sir Anthony Hopkins (Hanibal Lecter) and Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) making fools out of themselves made it even worse.

If this movie was made by someone else like the Monthy Python crew it might be fun but like this ...

I would have given it 0/10 if possible. After this movie I will certainly not going to watch Infinty Wars. Even more I will skip The Last Jedy and anything that has Disney label in the future.

This is blatant attempt to attract new fans among younger generations by appealing to their shallowness, selling them cheap tricks and distractions instead of a good story and directing.
280 out of 512 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Wreck-narok!
alvmanalm9 November 2017
Thor: Ragnarok should be about the twilight of the Norse gods and the end of all things (or at least Marvel's version of it). It should be darker than the Dark World. It's not. In fact, it has almost nothing to do with it. But it may well be the twilight of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Or it would be, if we were to stop watching such pauper productions. Marvel movies don't need to be comedies to work. In fact, they shouldn't be comedies at all. They can have elements of comedy, but that's entirely different. Many marvel heroes have a sense of humour, despite their troublesome lives; even through their hardships, they are many times portrayed as having a sense of the comic. But they are not jokers or stand up comedians. Sure, Spiderman is very funny, but his life is one of the hardest in the Marvel universe. To portray Thor, the asgardian god of thunder, as a joker or as a comedian makes no sense at all. He is one of the most sober and serious characters in the Marvel universe. He is not human, he doesn't perceive time as we do, he doesn't think about life as we do, so it makes sense that he doesn't have a sense of humour like we humans do. We could say something similar about the Grandmaster and Hella. Specially Hella. I mean, they weren't able to introduce a single moment of seriousness in the whole movie, not even in characters that shouldn't (couldn't) be laughing like mindless puppets and posing ridiculously every time they appear on screen. It would make sense if Loki was portrayed as mischievous, but that's it. And speaking of Loki, and since this is the Ragnarok after all, they completely distorted the fact that he is the father of the three agents of the destruction of the world: Hella, the wolf Fenrir and the world serpent (there's no world serpent in the movie). Marvel movies can be successful and yet sober. Captain America: Winter Soldier is probably one the best movies of the MCU and it's as sober as it gets. Iron Man (the first installment) deals with the threat of terrorism and weapons trade; it has many comic and funny moments, it's true, but it has a very serious tone underlying it. (This Tony Stark works because of Robert Downey Jr., who is amazing, but the Tony Stark from the comics is paralyzed from the waist down - it doesn't get any more serious than that). Avengers Assemble may not be as sober, but it still manages not to become a comedy show. Sure, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 was a hit, but it was a joke. It had nothing to do with the first one. It wasn't good. In fact, it was kind of a "prequel" for Thor:Ragnarok - for these comedy shows. And if someone thinks I'm exaggerating, just think about that moment when Matt Damon is portraying Loki in that "theater play". I mean, it's absolutely ridiculous. It looks like a Jimmy Kimmel show!!! I'm sorry, but Taika Waitiki failed. Eric Pearson and Craig Kyle failed tremendously. I really hope that Infinity War isn't a "sequel" to this kind of movie. If it is...please stop. Just stop with this kind of writing. Remember that we, in the audience, are not morons, and that not only kids in their early teens go to the movies. Just think about Logan or Deadpool (not a comedy show, although extremely funny). Forget the PG system, forget the money (you'll make it anyway), forget the special fx. And please, forget this Thor and forget any ideas of turning Infinity War into something like this. If not, we'll have Thanos (Thanos!!!!) cracking jokes all the time...
274 out of 504 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's fun, it's fast, it's not flawless
svenwalbers25 October 2017
I saw the premier last night. This is definitely the best Thor movie, but let's face it... that's not a difficult thing to achieve.

It's fun from the beginning to the end. It's lightning fast, there aren't any dull moments at all, but it's missing a little gravitas. The Thor character has suddenly become the complete opposite of what he's always been. There's hardly any transition. The same goes for Loki. It works though, it just seems a bit off.

The supporting characters are fun. Hulk/Banner is great as always. Valkyrie, Korg, Grandmaster they are all colorful joys to watch.

The villains however were (as always) underwhelming. Skurge, though he gets his minute in spotlight, feels wasted. Hela, though I love the way Blanchett played her, is just a ruthless powermonger. There's hardly any background or reason to some of her actions. And Surtur well, he's just a means to an end (pun intended).

Conclusion: It's good. It really is. You'll laugh, but you'll miss a little seriousness at certain moments in the movie. And like most Marvel movies, the villains don't marvel.
117 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel has gone totally Monty Python level silly.
ceejay-cj25 November 2017
Utter comedic crap, nothing like the comics anymore. Marvel has just given up and turned all their best dramatic stories into action comedies that have more in common with Monty Python than the source material that originally put them on the map. Watch any episode of Vikings on TV and wonder how these Asgardians were supposed to be their gods!

We now reached an era of audience acceptance of anything stupid so long as its funny, drama is too challenging for them so everything has to be regressed down to yet another silly comedy to make any money. No wonder Blade Runner 2049 can't make a buck at the box office, people have literally been nurtured to only be entertained by the dumbest level of entertainment they can get that doesn't tax them while eating popcorn and scrolling through their phones.
143 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Thor is Thor-some!
ctowyi27 October 2017
Frankly, I didn't like the first two Thor movies, the game plan was so clear from the get go. Same old "save the world" routines, brooding hero with a burden, a love connection born out of necessity and bloated battle scenes. It is the same blueprint for many superhero movies, but Thor has the God element that made the stories feel even more preposterous and ridiculous. It is hard to be vested in his quests because God don't die, hurt as much and can always employ one last deus ex machina that solves the unsolvable problem. But Thor: Ragnarok throws that over-used game plan out from Bifrost into an unknown territory, making it this year's best superhero movie. I know I know… Justice League has not descended, but looking at the trailer it doesn't take a genius to see that it will be doing the above-mentioned routine.

New Zealand director Taika Waititi seems like an unusual choice to helm Thor's third standalone movie. He has the indie root in him and he makes superbly smart comedies with oddles of heart, just watch What We Do in the Shadows (2014) and Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) to see his outstanding oeuvre. Apparently, the Marvel-Disney studios have given him full reins and he went ahead and make a comedy. But how do you inject an indie comedic vibe into a superhero franchise that has not been done before?

Essentially, Waititi throws out all the cumbersome weights that hampered Thor and tells a simpler but no less cool story about a superhero trying to get back to his home to clean house. In between he gives Thor ample opportunities to be a beer-swigging beefcake, negotiate some treacherously outlandish situations and strip him off the one thing that makes him Thor, the Mjolnir. At one point, Odin even asks a defeated Thor "What are you, the God of Hammers? " that had me laughing till my tears rolled down.

The tone is light but no less serious, populated by so many colourful characters in a vivid world trapped in impossible situations. At first I thought the introduction of Hulk in the early trailer is a misstep, but Mark Ruffalo's casting would have been close to impossible to keep under wraps. By giving Planet Hulk comic fans a look-in would have been a better move. The repartee between Thor and Hulk/Banner is so hilarious. No less funny is also the dialogue between Thor and Loki, gone is that "he ain't heavy, he is my brother" vibe and this is a Thor that will give Loki a smackdown if he is out of step.

Cate Blanchett plays Thor's estranged sister with evil relish and you don't cast Jeff Goldblum without allowing him to be Goldblum. Waititi even voices a gladiator-mentor character named Korg that practically steals all the scenes he is in. Chris Hemsworth hams it up just to a safe degree and nails all the one-liners with an A+. In fact, the whole cast seems to be having fun.

Thor: Ragnarok embraces its preposterousness and swims in a pool of ridiculousness with the deadpan and self-mocking humour hitting all the bullseyes. In the midst of it all, it still manages to tell a super duper cool story of a superhero saving his people. Yet it manages to remain fresh and zip along with a zany lightning pace. What an inspired choice for a director. The risk taken will pay huge dividends. This has superb rewatch value and I already feel like buying another ticket just to catch all the one-liners one more time. This Thor is Thor-some!
191 out of 349 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel Joy Division
cinemajesty31 October 2017
Movie Review: "Thor: Ragnarok" (2017)

Here comes the best medicine in form of another Sfiction_Action_Comedy for a price to escape all-day routines from Marvel Studios distributed by Walt Disney Enterprises Incorporated.

The dialogues vary plain out funny to world-domination menacing character of Hela, delightful performed by actress Cate Blanchett in skin-tight black-green suit.

The character of Thor, portrayed by Chris Hemsworth, has never looked better in science-fiction 1980s retro vs. contemporary upgrade with a spaceship fight sequence that delivers awes.

Director Taika Waititi and newcomer to the one-hundred fifty million Dollar plus budget league makes use of the filmmaking orchestra given with extreme wideshot action of production value splendor.

Costume and production design play the colors with delight for an eye-popping smash experience, especially in certified IMAX theaters, where green Hulk speaks up to fight Thor in the match awaited since 2012er Marvel edition of "The Avengers.

Jeff Goldblum, portraying as death-match organizing character Grandmaster, steals the show through the second act of well-placed slapstick and double-daring word plays, reminiscing the genius of "Abbott & Costello".

Minor drawback has been the Industry-spoiled rumor that there was an 95-Minute-version for pitch perfect maximum speedway result instead of the at some scenes rushed 120-Minutes-release-print.

© 2017 Felix Alexander Dausend (Cinemajesty Entertainments LLC)
63 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing goofball comedy
addmatthew2 November 2017
This is a goofball comedy, that contains high campery and pantomime villains, endless cheesy jokes at the expense of any real character or story development in place of any type of gravitas and epicness-ITS PERFECT.

I personally don't like it and think it is a step in the wrong direction....
212 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Ragnarok officially made me give up on Cinema!
sm_style4 November 2017
After waiting for Thor: Ragnarok for years. This movie is perhaps, the WORST Marvel movie I have ever seen.

Poor story-telling, weak character development, scenes felt out of place and total 360 from what Thor is supposed to have been.

Hollywood blockbusters have been lowering the complexity of its stories to get more butts into the movie seats which include kids who might not be able to understand a more dark, realistic and complex story. This comes at the expense of adult audience who like to see a characters inits true form.

This movie is basically Logan in reverse. It is a total betrayal of the character's true nature.

The following are the movie sins committed in this flick; Warning Spoilers ahead!

1) Bad Story-line.. This story doesn't allow characters to evolve or grow, a lot of the acting seems too familiar or forced for the sake of moving the movie forward or getting a reaction out of you.

2) Everything happens so fast without explanation of events or relationships... a) Why did thor figure out that Loki was impersonating Odin now and not before? b) How was the all-powerful Odin enchanted by Loki? c) Why did Odin decide to let Hela to Invade Asgard and why did he decide to disappear? d) How did Hela break Thor's hammer? e) Why did the leader of Sakaar favorite Hulk over Thor?

2) No setup from previous events and no purpose for characters

a) Thor and Hulk somehow ended up on the same planet by accident b) Why did Dr. Strange need to be in this movie besides setting up for a thor-strange relationship in a future Marvel movie? c) Why didn't Odin hint in previous films that thor had an evil sister named Hela?

3) Bad acting

Even Tom Hiddlesto was off point, he had the usual devious smirk on his face but I sometimes wondered if he was expressing contempt at the directors of the film. Besides being a remarkable film crew with amazing actors, somehow this movie manages to bring out the worst acting of these stars.

Heres a basic breakdown of each character

Thor: A more emotional, funny and light-hearted Thor

Loki: The same devious mischief with no new tricks up his sleeve, Loki is so predictable that even Thor has figured him out.

Hela: The sorority club's biggest drama-queen, nothing mysterious or godlike about her. Even she falls into the joke frame.

Heimdall: He had some good scenes and had a nice mystical look to him but wasn't very much useful in the movie.

Grandmaster: This guy is supposed to be a ruler of a planet, instead he belongs on a SNL skit.

Valkyrie: Independent strong woman, alcoholic, with both middle fingers up in your face. Somehow this quickly triggered ghetto character manages to defeat Loki in a battle for the sake of showing how women are strong too?

Skurge: He betrayed Asgard for the whole movie and then tries to make up for it in less then 5 frames before he dies.

Bruce Banner / Hulk: Even hulk manages to turn himself into a comedian.

Doctor Strange: Earth's best sorcerer tools Asgardian gods such as Thor and Loki who should have far greater knowledge of magick then Dr. Strange.

The Executioner: somehow managed to betray Asgard by serving Hela for the entire film, but then sacrifices himself at the end and we're expected to sympathize with this guy?

Korg: This was a loony toons version of Korg

To seal the cherry on the cake, Thor basically lets and assists Asguard to be blown up to pieces, because he figures it will destroy Hela, someone who he wasn't able to defeat even with his new powers.

The disappointment I felt after watching it sure caused a big disconnect for me after I came back home only to read all the positive reviews written by Critics and users alike, which made me question if these Critics are insiders, and if the users are in fact real accounts...

I know everybody's got to make some money... but at what expense?
179 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jokes weren't misplaced
vedatyil19 October 2017
I know some people are worried about the humour on this movie.But they used it excellently in this flick.This movie to me,is at least on the same level with Guardians of the Galaxy 1.I mean both guardians and Thor 3 made me laugh but never felt cringe or sensed any forced jokes.There were also very intense and emotional moments in this Thor movie.The fight sequences were so damn epic.When it comes to action,this movie is close to Lord of the Rings 2.They did a good job on reflecting the epicness of the Ragnarok event. The last trailer of the movie got my attention.And I made one of the best decisions of my life by watching it.

Hela,Valkyrie,Hulk,Thor,Loki,Grandmaster they all did pretty good job.Especially Hela.She was so gorgeous and menacing at the same time. Tessa Thompson kinda surprised me with her great performance btw.
343 out of 652 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thor Ragnarok... Truly Ragnarok in all the sense of the word.
a-r-notifications5 November 2017
Whilst the movie was enjoyable I wasn't expecting a comedy. it is a slapstick comedy from Marvel or something that was created for school children. I know that you have to sell a product that doesn't mean you make an action movie or a hero movie Or a superhero movie do a total slapstick comedy full of puns and one-liners making me think I'm watching a 90s superhero movie with 2017 digital effects if you wanted to characterize this as a comedy and then probably I would have given in the higher score but since it was in my word superhero movies it deserves the lowest score that can be given the director was great but if this was meant to be a comedy nothing new or groundbreaking does not even compare to anything good only reason it is getting good reviews is because the rest of the movies in the box office are below par or not superhero movies. Expected a lot but was severely disappointed. Slot of missed opportunities.
145 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am broke
ufukleman19 October 2017
I ve heard good things about Logan,spider man hc,guardians 2.And they all turned out pretty good for me in different ways.

Logan is the first hero movie that made me cry.Yondu's death had a huge emotional impact on me(even more than superman's death in BvS).That huge twist about vulture being Liz's.And now this spectacular Thor movie.

I am broke now,thanks to you marvel:).

After this movie,the hulk grew on me so much.Finally they gave him some personality.Loki,Hela both were pretty good.Easter eggs were surprising.

Both funny and emotional at the same time.They showed the devastating events in Ragnarok pretty well.

You should definitely watch this movie in 3D,visuals were also amazing
118 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Destruction and creation, building up and undermining
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews29 October 2017
When the long-banished, not-known-to-exist first-born of Odin(Hopkins, whose parody of himself, as well as his somber take, are both great), his daughter Hela(Blanchett, delicious, loving every moment, and making for another one of the few and far between deeply memorable villains of the franchise) returns to Asgard, her tremendous powers and thirst for conquest mean Thor(Hemsworth going for dry, sarcastic wit, and it works) and Loki(yet again in a new personal situation with his family, albeit overall, he does little to affect what happens) have to stop her. However, they're stuck in Sakaar, prisoners of the dictator The Grandmaster(Goldblum, with his charm turning threatening from one second to the next). And then our titular hero is made to fight the gladiatorial champion – The Hulk(Ruffalo getting to expand the role's vocabulary, personality, and tragedy/pathos – albeit not far enough. It doesn't extend to properly exploring what he's been doing, fighting beings no match for him, previously invariably to the death, despite him leaving Earth was literally specifically to flee this exact thing. They stopped short of where the comic went with it, sadly. The supporting players are appreciated, though).

This trilogy has gotten a lot of criticism from the onset, some of it deserved, a lot of it borne out of the natural difficulties with making this kind of world work, especially within the gritty, realistic one Iron Man set up. In this entry, Earth is nearly completely absent, and certainly the only human who has screen-time is Dr. Strange, who is also "beyond". Yes, Jane Foster, Darcy and Erik Selvig are gone. Broken up off-screen. I hate that. However, with this newfound freedom, this goes full cosmic. The tone approaches Guardians of the Galaxy. It's superior to Vol. 2, but not up to the level of the original. Honestly, a few minor things seem to be there specifically to redo that, and they'd be better left on the cutting room floor. The jokey subversion/drama mix is not as strong as that, nor of the third Robert Downey Jr. solo picture. With that said, relatively little of the actual weight is lost to laughs. This still has gravity and tension. The action is fast, frequent and enjoyable, if also by far the most MCU aspect of this. Many will find this to be bland, not fun, a corporate product. Certainly, there's still a lot of room for diversity and flavor. Fingers crossed that Black Panther will push the envelope there.

I recommend this to anyone who finds the trailers appealing. You can go into this completely blind. Stay through the credits. 8/10
68 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great marvel film!
rebeccalucy29 October 2017
There are some beautiful shots and colours in this film! Especially a slow scene with the Valkyrie girl, just visually stunning. The poster for this film being one of my favourites of the year.

This one contains a lot more action and comedy, similar in tone to guardians of the galaxy. Could be considered a good or bad thing but I liked it. Furthermore some minor characters like Heimdall are expanded upon, which is great because I really enjoy his character.

However you need to be a marvel fan to understand some scenes, don't watch this if it is your first as you may be confused. It moves quite fast in the beginning but gradually the pace gets a bit better. Overall I would hold this in high regard, just under Captain America: civil war and The Avengers.
60 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy colorful space warrior adventure on the big screen,
rumasuk29 October 2017
The movie is great. It's a new experience. It does have deep flaws that affected my experience though, but a good enjoyable fresh movie overall.

The movie will be a pretty fresh experience. 80 percent of it its outer worlds adventure extravaganza. The planets and designs are incredible. The story is pretty cool too. But...

My problem with it it's not what some people have pointed out: The movie is way more of a comedy than the previous two. It's just that Taika Waititi didn't care about taking the plot seriously at all, like in purpose. You don't need to have a loose plot to be hilarious and a comedy masterpiece, look at the first Hangover, look at how high the stakes were in that movie. This movie jumps from point a to b without any regard on how or why, a clear example of this is the Hulk. I have expected since Age of Ultron for marvel to answer how Hulk left for another planet and the answer is "He just did"? This is true for all the plot points in the movie. This is just the sort of thing the Russos would have polished completely while keeping all the jokes.

I thought the story was full of missed opportunities (Fan Fic incoming, skip if you hate Fan Fic mindsets) why not have the hammer be a limitation of Thor's true power created by Odin to limit him so what happened to Hela becoming evil and unstoppable never happens to him. Making not only Thor's unlocking of his true potential logical but also symbolical now that he lives in a world where his father, the most powerful man wont be there to protect his world.

The Thor Hulk fight was cool as hell, even if it was a little simple, it looked incredible. They gave it a definitive space pay per view filter or something. It looked awesome. Hela was cool as well.

AND HERE's my biggest defense for the whole movie: Thor himself was great. It felt Waititi designed the whole process of the movie on getting who Chris Hemsworth is, how (Chris Hemsworth) HE sees Thor not how Kevin Feige or Marvel or we the fans have told him to act. How he could actually connect with a Thor he was frankly disconnected from more and more. And I think in this aspect for what the movie is, they had a freaking home run. Hemsworth is fresh again and better than ever. He is awesome, he is Thor and he enjoys it. It feels more like a psychological acting directorial procedure milestone more than a movie merit. But directors should look at whatever Waititi did, because he might have unlocked Chris Hemsworth potential to be awesome to watch on camera. There you have something I can not stop giving props to.

So yeah objectively a 7/10 but I would re watch this a thousand times over the 2 previous ones. Also I can not give enough merit on how this movie readjusted Thor incredibly well without him feeling at all like a new character or forced in any way. Its just great overall.

I would like to see him in other movies. He could have a serious role in a war movie or a criminal thriller. Hemsworth rocked, and Loki as much as I hated him in the past due to his popularity is freaking incredible as he has always been.
46 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Popcorn-blockbustering of the highest order.
Troy_Campbell29 October 2017
Being the 17th instalment into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), and the third in the solo-Thor series—generally the least liked within the MCU—it wouldn't be surprising if this cosmic adventure showed signs of repetition and fatigue. It doesn't, not one bit. The opposite is true in fact, thanks to the unique energy and ingenuity brought from New Zealand director Taika Waititi (Hunt for the Wilderpeople, What We Do in the Shadows). Waititi's comedy background is noticeably in full swing, the previously darker Thor outings traded in for a laugh-heavy vibe closer to Guardians of the Galaxy – the movie Ragnarok shares top spot with, as the MCU's funniest film. A throwaway gag about scissors from a side character made of rock (mo-capped and viced by the director himself) is pure Waititi, and the franchise's best one-liner since Chris Pratt's Starlord appreciated the artwork of Jackson Pollock. Of course a big budget means big action, and there's plenty here to thrill and delight: a tone-setting smack down of a fiery underworld demigod, a bruising gladiatorial contest between Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), an exhilarating spaceship chase, and the breathtakingly electric finale. This threequel is visually distinct too, Waititi opting for a grungy-disco 80s atmosphere over the more theatrical opulence of the first two Thor flicks. His use of slow-mo, backed to Led Zeppelin's 'Immigrant Song', for two key moments, is simply brilliant. Supporting Hemsworth, who has never been better as the macho God of Thunder, is Tom Hiddleston as fan favourite bad-good guy Loki, Cate Blanchett as the sneering God of Death Hela, Tessa Thompson as the cocky warrior Valkyrie and Jeff Goldblum as the eccentric Grandmaster, plus a raft of awesome cameos. A few minor nit picks: Idris Elba seems bored as the returning Heimdall, two previous major supporting characters (both females) are conspicuously absent, a talking Hulk doesn't quite work, and the narrative-retcon work could've been more subtle. But when a movie is this damn entertaining, a few quibbles are easily forgiven. Comfortably taking its place in the top echelon of MCU films, Thor: Ragnarok is hilarious, invigorating and popcorn-blockbustering of the highest order.
91 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceeded my expectations
yoncakizil19 October 2017
This movie really exceeded my expectation.For me it is already the second best comic book movie,right after Logan.

When I ve watched the both of the trailers,I ve thought Thor 3 has the best trailer in this genre so far.Trailers really met with my expectations.

You are gonna see epic showdowns just like the way you imagined.

Glad they didn't go on serious,boring mode like they did in Thor 2.Cause that movie bored me to death just like man of steel did.

Lastly,I just wanna say that Taika Watiti is pretty damn good director who can make both good stories/plots and brilliant jokes/references(just like deadpool's humor).

Thanks again for all the joy you gave me Marvel.
220 out of 413 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.