Lancaster Skies (2019) Poster

Low Budget shouldnt equal low quality
malcolmgsw22 July 2020
I am hard of hearing and wear hearing aids.Normally I can make out dialogue reasonably well.However I found much of the dialogue under recorded and totally unintelligible.That's when it was made impossible by the loud score.A really poor effort.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is not a war movie! Not a action movie also! Avoid at all cost!
kwenchow27 May 2019
This movie is about a bomber pilot commander story! Entire film keep showing audience the main actor drinking beer with his crew at the bar, eating, making nonsense conversation, flirting with the girl crew and full of flashbacks scene of his son! Bored to freaking death! At the opening and at the end have some aircraft shooting scene! That's all! Most intense scene is two boxer fighting and one of them vomit some blood after suffer a loss! War movie with zero intensity! I rather watch Hacksaw Ridge again!
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring Remake of Lancaster 2013
dncorp8 May 2019
Action 1 Drama 1

Accuracy 2

After so many initial losses of British Pilots, the Americans with B-17 flew the more deadly day Bombing Missions as a duck shoot for the Germans, and the British flew the less deadly Night Missions.

The reason why the British lost so many Pilots and Crew was Bomber Command as well as the U.S. Army Air Corps were clueless as to how to minimize the loss of life, loss of aircraft and just threw as many into the Bombing Missions as possible. example the U.S. Army Air corps failed August 17, 1943 Bombing Mission, Schweinfurt, loss of 60 B-17s, 58-95 bombers heavily damaged, over 500 listed as Missing In Action presumed dead.

At this time 1944 the Germans had Aircraft with Radar like the 1942 Heinkel He 219 Uhu that would then signal the location of British Bombers to a German Fighter Wing of Fw 190 A-7/A-8 (4 x 20mm cannons) painted red on the bottom so that German Anti Aircraft Artillery would not shoot them down.

Based on U.S. and Canadian Shipping Manifests, the British were introduced to eating lots of American Pinto beans, and cans of pork byproducts as "Spam", as nowhere to raise cattle for beef in large enough quantities, as the Great British Colonial Empire (England) had been cut off from almost everywhere (British Sources of Food, Fuel, Materials, etc.) since Dunkirk 26 May to 4 June 1940.

After the Vietnam War, stationed at the Federal Republic of West Germany then assigned to the UK MOD sent to UK SAS and yes lots of beans breakfast, lunch, supper. Most TV Shows, Movies do not show this, only the UK Reality TV Shows and Documentaries about the UK Military.
9 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated and boring
pietclausen7 May 2019
Not knowing who wrote all these good reviews, I decided to watch this flick. I found it extremely boring and nothing of interest. Perhaps the British who lost about 55 000 of 125 000 airmen serving in the bombing raids on Germany, had some connection or respect for these men who died in defending their country, rated it much higher for this reason.
29 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Film in which nothing happens
pilot100916 November 2019
Obviously saved money by noy having a writer so no story, just a few days in the life of a bomber crew waiting to go to war.

Pitiful effort. Only good this was the Lancaster itself.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obviously unpolished but very worth watching.
S_Soma8 May 2019
If you're here reading reviews with an eye to deciding whether or not you want to watch LANCASTER SKIES, the best advice I can give you is that it's very important for you to approach this movie with the proper frame of mind.

By way of analogy, have you ever had the experience of your kid bringing you home the gift of the results of some art project? After the shock of absorbing the reality of the horrific things your child is capable of doing with cardboard, dry macaroni and glitter and that an art scholarship is probably not in your child's future, you're usually hit with a flood of emotions. These emotions are mostly having to do with how much you love this monstrosity that's been made for you and the painful depth of your love for your snot-encrusted kid. You see how proud your kid is that they made you a gift and how much they want to give it to you. It's this thought that hits you so profoundly. As trite as it might sound, it's the epitome experience of "it's the thought that counts".

LANCASTER SKIES, if we are to be truthful, has more than a little cardboard, dry macaroni and glitter about it. Much is made of the fact that the budget for the movie was £80,000, and seeing is definitely believing. But somebody loved this movie. In a world of millennials and partisan politics and deep obsession with global warming, somebody cared enough to make this movie about a time and place where every-day people did heroic things by the literal ton while never knowing if they would live to see another day.

I viewed this movie with the mindset that I was watching a video of a community theater stage play. It kept my mind open and my attitude forgiving and my concentration focused on the actors and the story.

Exactly like community theater, LANCASTER SKIES is possessed of the community theater-like mix of mostly amateurish workmanship mixed with sudden and unexpected bursts of high quality.

Most of the acting, for example, is somnambulistic and stilted. However, at least two of the actors were quite good. Joanne Gale as Kate was convincing at the very least and David Dobson was actually stellar in most scenes. He's a little on the short side which may cause him a bit of trouble in his future projects, but there's no question of his acting chops.

Most of the special-effects and Lancaster bomber images were pretty iffy, again, as you would expect from a community theater type production. And yet, every now and then, you're surprised by some particular shot that's actually impressive. There's one scene where three bombers take off and begin a slow, ponderous starboard turn to head off to their bombing objective and it had as much big-screen feeling as you can get.

Where LANCASTER SKIES screams its budget is its complete lack of context. In any movie, and most especially a period piece like LANCASTER SKIES, context is incredibly expensive. A World War II era airfield barracks or pub simply didn't have blank white walls with the occasional 8.5 x 11 LaserJet-printed pinup and white-frosted-out windows. Most scenes looked like they were shot in somebody's London flat and they probably were.

Every scene is shot with the lens so tight in on the actors faces to avoid having to show period-accurate context that there's danger of the lens going up an actor's nostril.

LANCASTER SKIES, in short, is a labor of love and is deserving of audience appreciation for its choice of worthwhile subject matter and the committed devotion of the people that made it, actors, crew and all.

In my opinion, there is only one genuinely negative thing to say about LANCASTER SKIES, all other positive elements notwithstanding. Many of the reviews here on IMDb extolling its virtues are 1-review wonders obviously from people directly involved with LANCASTER SKIES creation. Glowing reviews by interested parties without benefit of disclosure are just slimy. Engaging in that sort of thing goes a long way to besmirch a movie that deserves more respect and appreciation. LANCASTER SKIES creators should be proud enough in their work to not engage in such base behavior.
55 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor rendition of a moving subject
wrxsti542 April 2021
The sacrifice of the air crews of RAF Bomber Command in WW2 was legendary and any movie that highlights the stress and emotional toll the constant loss of comrades had is to be commended. However, this is a budget movie where the low budget really shows. Wooden acting, poor recreation of the inside of a Lancaster and no sense of the real time involved in the air.
Lancaster Skies Bombs.
xpat-5519223 December 2020
I bought the DVD yesterday (three for NZ$20) and watched it last night as I'm English and like a good WWII movie about England's heroes of that time. But this movie is absolutely atrocious. Full credit to the yet-unknown cast for their efforts, but the plot was diabolical. I watched it to the end and still don't know what was ultimately meant to have happened. Don't bother. Avoid it like it was the Plague or Donald Trump.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
About time; a study not a; 'look what CGI can do' war movie!
dagallop23 May 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this truly unexpected masterpiece. I would have given it ten stars but for the fact that people don't trust the ten star scorers!

I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this movie and frankly I was drawn in like a moth to a flame. It is exceptionally well acted, directed and composed. The actors are flawless and totally convincing. The only time you see anything even remotely like 'special effects' is when there are multiple Lancasters in the air since we all know there really isn't that many of these machines remaining.

The characters are expertly developed and the back stories are well thought out. You could be forgiven for feeling as if you were there at times. The attention to detail is impressive, given that this was clearly a reasonably low budget movie, yet you get what is needed from what is there.

As a person who grew up very close to many memorials to these brave men I had a personal desire to want to watch this movie and frankly I was not disappointed with any part of it.

Synopsis: a well made movie providing an insight into some of the more 'mundane' yet real events that were commonplace during the war.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An exercise in Minimalism- How to put the least possible story into a movie
robbotnik20006 June 2019
A period piece with no period. Small sparse sets whether in the planes, the quarters, even the cars were small. And the plot. . . I couldn't shake the notion that the the sets were rooms in houses arranged for Youtube videos. The flight sequences were very very few and appeared to be done via flight simulators, the type you buy for your laptop. The story was very little, as well. Lots of buried attitude which must be brought to the surface and relieved, all in service to extend a meagre plot. Really not much to call someone to watch this movie. Pretty much any other movie of the past captures more of that past and has more interesting characters, more story, and more sense of being there than this effort. Without going into research, I'll say that the clothing designer seemed to have done their job and the actors themselves were personable and delivered the necessary slow and portentous looks and sighs to display character in place of dialogue.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, but not good either.
pidstr6 July 2019
The biggest issue with Lancaster Skies, isn't the budget limits on the film, the too flat lighting, basic camera angles, or even the mostly wooden acting. No, it's real issue, is the one that could have made the whole thing enjoyable, and polished over the limits of the performances. It's the pacing of the edits that really makes Lancaster Skies drag on, it really should be told in about three quarters of it duration, and would be a much better film if the Director and Editor sat down and took another look at it. The outdoor scenes are well done from the camera dept, the indoors lacks depth or foreground/action/background separation. The sound is a bit too clean and clinical, but none of the dialog is difficult to hear, beyond actors slurring lines. Joanne Gale's performance as Kate Hedges stands out, as the only one where we stop seeing an actor performing, and just start seeing the character. A lot of the rest look a little too much like we're watching them read through the lines, rather then the final performance, something another look at the edit for pacing would solve. Overall, it's not a bad film, it's just not as good as it could be.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Lancaster repatched"
vanmust25 May 2019
E copilot responsible for the drunken hit and run death of pilot,s younger brother?.....anyhow....don,t expect to see BOB here...close ups to this relic Lancaster who I think is the one circling around in airshows...has a touch of truth though....to fulfill the ambitions of controversial Harris and to keep up with the US industrial might Britain produced patched and repatched 4 eng bombers sending them on non precision bombing raids...while the country,s economy was stampling and never really recovered post war after the empire collapsed....look at brexit struggles today...the film is rightfully honoring the Lancaster .....I am very sorry for the Avro company and what it came to be after the scandal of the Arrow
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oonly gave it one star because there's no lower ranking
kdgmk-597-84939416 May 2021
A movie about WWII Lancaster bombers w/o any flying. A total waste of time . Should have been called, "There's no flying in this movie."
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring characters, boring storyline, boring, boring
meyuk6 June 2019
It is about time that IMDb started showing the number of reviews each reviewer has contributed. The number of 'one-offs' for this, all stating what a great 10/10 film this is, shows that more needs to be done to stop the rest of us wasting out time. This film lost my interest in the first 5 minutes.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This ain't no 'Ronseal'!
R85ALIVE29 September 2019
Unlike the wood varnish, Ronseal, this film doesn't do "exactly what it says on the tin" so to speak. I was expecting less action, due to the small budget and more of a deep character study on the protagonist. What I watched was a tedious boring slog of pretty much nothing. Dear writer/director: if you're going to do a film about the inner, psychological struggles of a pilot and the death of his brother you need to clue the audience in on what exactly he's going through in his head, we're not mind readers, this isn't a novel where you can spend ten pages on how the character feels insode, you need to show us how he's feeling, whats going on in his head.

I can't stress this enough, this isn't a movie...nothing..NOTHING happens, nothing of any consequence happens in the film. The main character is seriously underdeveloped and one dimensional, as are all the characters. There is no story here, it's a few pilots drinking in a pub, thats about it.

There's a flashback near the start with a young boy and I thought it was the protagonist as a child, but it later turns out that the boy is the protagonists brother....poor filmmaking. The setup to the inner motivation of the hero is so poorly done to, I didn't experience much of the bond between him and his little brother and I didn't experience the death at all of him, it's not even in the film and that's supposed to be the motivation for the entire film, seriously? soooo bad!

The acting is poor, the only credible thing is special effects given the small budget, though there is one shot of the planes engine getting hit near the and it's clearly a small model but other than that it was pretty impressive.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Caution, if you want to see Planes & Flying..
letterandmailbox23 January 2021
...as you'll see only 15min of it. And while the planes are in the air, you won't even hear any plane sounds/engines as the pathetic music is turned louder, to such a degree that you will find it hard to understand the conversation via the com (masked up)

I dont consider the above as spoiler as it'll prevent people watching it expecting a flying movie over Berlin.

The rest is surely well intended, but long winded, lacking conversations (could have been double the amount of talk easily) and leaves you without solving some personal background of the characters, who are acting well but where left hanging with a bad script. It could have been a nice movie about bomber crew social life and mental struggle, as there are not many films; it must have been incredibly challenging for soul and mind, trying to live a life at the base with simple human needs like company, conversation, banter,pub chat, flirting and maybe love, all while waiting for a flight order which would give you a 70percent chance of survival/returning. So all in all a great set and opportunity for a deep mindful movie. Well, didnt happen. Nice try though.
Better than sleeping tablets
mrobe4894211 May 2019
Really wanted to enjoy this movie, but it sent me off to sleep after ten minutes. Will give it another chance but not expecting much from what I can remember.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a moving film
iancrockford-9630919 January 2020
For just £80,000 the makers have put together a really wonderful film. That takes the viewer right into the heart of the Lancaster Crew as they build trust and confidence in each other. The acting is at times excellent. Story makes you want to keep watching. Moving, warming and thoughtful.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shear boredom
lambertrecovery14 March 2021
Am a huge WWll film with 12 o'clock high my all time favorite film. But this? This film moves SO slow, the dialogue, the silence, the lack of a musical score I couldn't believe how tedious this was to watch. The few flying scenes that we see are horribly done and add nothing to the film. Flat out one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Dreadfully bad
prj4426 May 2019
This films fails on so many levels its hard to know where to start. To begin with, it's boring. The view of the crews between missions is tedious and trivial. I wasn't there, but I'm that life wasn't like that. Even during portrayals of the action, there was little excitement.

Technically, the scenes were mostly in focus. That's good, but it is faint praise. But there are problems between the sound track and the dialogue. Was this designed by amateurs? It looks like it. The acting was incredibly stiff and the comments between characters was trite. I can't think of an area where the film was worth watching.

Considering the heroic stories it was trying to address -- this is one of the epic stories of that war -- it is a colossal failure. It is not a fitting tribute to the sacrifices made by those involved.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring Boring Boring
marriottjason1 September 2019
The title is so misleading and I was expecting to see a proper WW2 movie showing the harrowing duties of the brave pilots. Instead I got a painfully slow paced drag of a movie with very little flight scenes, or portrayal of what it was to be a Landcaster crew member. Should have done my research before buying the movie, now I stuck with it!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I was expecting, but thats okay
ogdenhalifax13 May 2019
Took a punt on Sky. Script was a bit hit and miss, can't argue, but I read this film was made for 80 thousand pounds so I'm giving leeway.

Was hoping for more plane and war, to be honest. However, despite the poster mis sell I did find it fairly engrossing. 2 lead characters were good and the rest of the cast played there parts well. Undeserving of some of the criticism if you ask me, but I do understand the misgivings. At least it's not a studio remake - and well done for getting it done and being brave enough to focus on the people.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cracking, well written indie film
polo_kings29 May 2019
I didn't know what to expect with this, knowing some indie low budget films can be stinkers. This film however is thankfully not one of such stinkers. It's a little slow to get started while it introduces you to the characters. The characters are well acted and believable. Take a chance and buy this film if you: A: love indie films B: are in to WWII films C: like character driven films D: all 3
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DULL
ac5511 August 2019
Dull.... This movie is just dull. Dull script, dull story, dull actors, dull lightning, dull makeup. Based on the trailer, I did not think that it was going to be a masterpiece, but at least a decent movie. This was not the case. A complete waste of time and money, even for a huge fan of WWII movies / WWII airbirds as me.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Understatement IS the statement.
chrisjones-327003 April 2021
Started watching this, turned up the volume several times only to find that there is NOTHING happening but a low dull drone for the first few minutes. Granted, that is the sound that multiengine prop plane make but . . .

I should have clued in that would be the guiding principle of the entire film . . . Understatement to the point of boredom. As a matter of fact I started doing other things while this continued to play eventually finding myself hoping that it would just end already.

Sparse dialog.

Sparse plot.

Sparse acting.

Simply too much staring in each others eyes with 'knowing looks'.