Black Widow (2021) Poster

(2021)

2,403 Reviews
It was OK--nothing more
preppy-317 July 2021
Black Widow ( Scarlett Johansson) must deal with a villain from her past and her long-absent family.

LOUD, confusing and far too long. It starts off OK but quickly falls apart and becomes confusing and convoluted. The film is also way too long--it doesn't need to run over 2 hours. There's also tons of CGI at the end--way too much. The acting is OK. In short a long forgettable MCU movie.
97 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Disney-isation of Marvel
gordon-mccrae15 July 2021
Marvel character finds a problem.

Marvel character calls some friends for help.

Marvel character finds out something they didn't know.

Marvel character seems to have lost.

Marvel character actually wins.

Yep, standard Disney/Marvel recipe complete, put it out for people to watch, make a load of cash, rinse and repeat.

I'm being really generous with my star rating because they had the guts to actually do a Black Widow movie.

Still better than either of the Wonder Woman (I WONDER why I watched them) movies, but that's not saying much.

It's like death and taxes now; there's bound to be an iffy Disney/Marvel movie or show along every six months or so. It's got to the point where it's like watching a soap opera because we're only still watching because we're invested in the characters.

Soon enough the "normal" people will stop watching because they're not invested in the characters in the first place.
54 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Marvel has run out of steam
timmsy19863 October 2021
You can see they made less effort with this one, it's pretty boring and slow paced too and gets tedius really fast. After about 20 minutes I was looking for something else to do while it played out.

Getting really bored of assassin's fighting in the street and everyone still going about their business and no police ever seem to turn up.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B-O-R-I-N-G
mamceldridge10 July 2021
Something should have told me with all the delays it was going to be a bad movie. Clearly the worst installment in the MCU. To think I waited all this time for this.
250 out of 404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that good
ewingwr30 August 2021
CGI and action scenes. That's about it. Normally I can get into the comic book movies, but this one simply bored me. I'm honestly curious as to how, at the time of this review, this dreadful thing has a rating of 6.8. This was over 2 hours of "meh ".
166 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
tohira-331212 September 2021
Honestly found everything about this movie to be unlikeable. The storyline was all over the place. The fake accents were horrific as well.
192 out of 321 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is the epitome of...
ThomDerd10 October 2021
...Average filmmaking.

Here are few words which can describe this film: Unnecessary Uninteresting Disappointing

Re-watch another marvel film to shake off the dullness after you are done with black widow.

I m not saying don't watch it; but once you do, you will know!

By the way my reviews for black widow here keep getting deleted.

So here's another one...
57 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scarlett Johansson Is not a good actress
hollow-eyes-conservative24 September 2021
She is not and never was.

Then you give her this obviously forced family drama with no story and things get worse.

Bad combination.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unnecessary
ERP-master6 September 2021
This Disney+ thing is really desperate for 'Content,' isn't it?

The janitor in Iron Man is going to get his own movie soon.

The Black Widow in w.h.i.t.e! Is just boring and tries hard to be a family drama. Well, if you liked this then you will love Little House On The Prairie! Mark my words.
108 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Trainwreck!
papa-dum29 August 2021
You know you're watching a post-intelligence film when almost 90% of everything you're watching is impossible, over the freaking top and filled with some cringe sentimental "family" quotes!

Black Widow is White SHerlock Holmes !

The whole power of a superheroine is extremely convenient and pure non-sense.

It's so bad it's amazing.
142 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a spy movie, with the TaskMaster & Red Guardian wasted
Johnny_West11 July 2021
This was just a knock-off Bourne or James Bond movie, with the Black Widow and her family of spies as the stars. The action scenes in the dark rooms were really bad, because all the characters are dressed in similar black uniforms, so I had no idea who was doing what most of the time. I guess this was all CGI? It was impossible to follow.

Black Widow is not very interesting, and most of the best lines come from her sister (Florence Pugh), and her father, the Red Guardian (David Harbour). The comic book version of Red Guardian was totally tough super-soldier, but in the movie he is just a fat has-been, like Thor in the last Avengers Endgame movie. Harbour is mostly around for comedy, but he is a good actor, and makes his role interesting.

Rachel Weisz plays the Black Widow's mother, and it is a pretty generic performance. The story is really odd, as Weisz is the brains of the Russian spy system but she is on a farm doing brain control experiments on pigs.

The main Russian spy master was a very generic Russian character talking about world domination and power. He could have been from SPECTRE. The guy reminded me of Blofeld, and several other SPECTRE leaders from past James Bond movies.

TaskMaster was a very unique and interesting character in the comic books, and he is totally destroyed as a character in this movie. His entire back-story, character, and everything about TaskMaster is changed, and not for the better.

This movie takes place after Captain America: Civil War, and before the Avengers versus Thanos movies. It seems like this movie should have been done and released about five years ago, and it is out of place in the current Marvel Timeline.
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can Disney not afford writers?
ketzalsterling13 July 2021
So epically flawed.

Does science not exist?

Is physics not a thing?

Is logic not real?

An indestructible human who can fall ten stories...

Try jumping off a ten story building, really, try it. You'll find that if you're human, which this character is, you'd be dead, or at least wish you were dead.

A movie for people with peanut brains.

200 million dollars, that was money well spent :)
95 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even with WHITE WIDOW this film ain't interesting
yajinag28 September 2021
YEAH FOLKS this is a BORING movie. There was absolutely NO REASON to make that film; once you see it you will know.

Maybe the agents of SCARJO convinced Marvel that she has a big following and they said "ok, lets do this movie"... Or they put the stats down and said that there is a lot of momentum with female heroins now and that will defo make extra $ to poor marvel studios.

So, who cares about quality anymore...right? They've done that part already. Quality: Been there, done that. Lets get some more cash.

I think that the writers went for REAL CASH GRAB here. And marvel. And everyone else around this film.
29 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drab. Could have been great
antremery7 October 2021
Florence Pugh was the highlight of this drab movie... the concept was there but the execution was poor. If Disney went for an 18 rating and good script it could have been amazing.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MCU Version of a Filler Episode
hunter-friesen7 September 2021
I would never label a Marvel film as "uninteresting" (except for the first two "Thor" installments) but this needless chapter gets close.

While the MCU has never revolutionized the wheel in terms of storytelling, there at least has always been a sense of discovery and progression. "Black Widow" only spins its wheels doling out the same tired formula that has continually plagued the solo installments of the ever-expanding universe.

Director Cate Shortland embraces the spy genre but doesn't offer anything interesting with the unlimited budget and talent at her disposal, with her greatest sin being the absolute wasting of Ray Winstone as one of the most pathetic MCU villains (already a low bar to begin with).

Fortunately, the introduction of Florence Pugh as Yelena offers some semblance of hope in this new age of heroes.
82 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Break it up folks. Nothing left to see here.
ben-shashana9 September 2021
It's been said that the only legitimate philosophical question is in the form of "Why is there something instead of nothing?" Black Widow reverses the two subjects of that question.

They have nothing left. They are just desperately finding characters to make more filler movies for their bottom-feeding fandom.

I don't mean to dismiss anyone's experience in watching the film, but I found nothing intellectually challenging or entertaining about either the story or the interpersonal exchanges among and between the characters. Like a boring episode of 2 Broke Girls (but minus the pretty legs) this thing just drags on.

And you don't need to be a soothsayer to figure out that critics are too emasculated to be able to be honest about a female-lead film.
86 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cate, Hands Up & Step Away From the MCU
tbutters-433479 October 2021
This film needs to get at least twice as good to be horrible. Thor, The Dark World thanks you.

All that acting talent, a decent storyline and a big pile of fibre filled bowel expulsion ends up being the sum.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Of course they would do that to the Taskmaster character
moneyhinman-761809 October 2021
How do you take a silver age villain, remove all interesting aspects, history, and shove him off into the sunset in 90 minutes? Make it the opposite of what he is suppose to be.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hugely disappointing
bendorgan9 October 2021
Great actors, great director. But it just seemed like they didn't work. One thing I love about black widow in other films has been the wide camera fight scenes where you can see Scarlett has trained hard and learnt the moves, and they look epic. It appears the director forgot Scarlett is insanely talented and went for the cheap cut scenes in every single fight sequence. Honestly it just really felt the whole way through that the director knew nothing about modern action movies and was trying to make Gone With The Black Widow and Prejudice... Black Widow deserved more.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly Surprised
tymoody9 July 2021
I don't quite understand the hate the movie is getting. Too many people expected full comic book accuracy with Taskmaster, which would have been hard to accomplish and harder to fit in the story they were trying to tell. I understand the disappointment from fans who expected that full Taskmaster story, but do not think it means that this movie was a flop. Florence Pugh was excellent in the film and the chemistry between her and Scarlett Johansson was great. Good fighting sequences except for parts of the third act where the CGI was very noticeable. Plus that end credit scene was amazing. One of my only complaints is that Marvel stated you wouldn't need to watch the shows to understand the movies but if you hadn't seen falcon and the winter solider the end credits may not make a 100 percent sense. At least make it clear the shows are a must watch if you are going to make them necessary to understand certain things. Overall a great movie.
640 out of 1,262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Rather Watch the Dotard's home video boinking Ivanka than this
syed-hakeem210 September 2021
All filler/no content

If you want to call your film a superhero movie, but are happy to leave the action behind, it creates a product without much of a value..
57 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Again with the upvoting campaign
syntory10 July 2021
I give this movie a 1 strictly to balance out the ridiculous upvoting. I really find it annoying when people trying to lie and say a movie is awesome when it really isnt. If it werent for all the users giving this movie 8 or 9 stars then i would put its actual imdb rating at 5.0. This movie is one of those long and boring action movies. Explosions and fights scenes CAN NOT make up for bad writing!

Hollywood really needs to rethink how women are cast in traditionally male roles. You can't just put any actor in any role. Bad casting makes it difficult to believe the character and makes the movie hard to sit through.

Every 15 minutes I found myself checking how much time i had left before this movie was over.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even Thor Ragnasuck was better than this boring filler
bdmiuoykcuf10 September 2021
I seriously expected nothing from this Unmarvel movie and was still disappointed with how useless it was. A huge waste of oxygen.
52 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring as hell
vluckylkv9 September 2021
Too much family drama and cliche story writing, overall it's a worst addition to MCU. Black widow deserves better.
45 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chick flick
the_real_smile11 July 2021
This movie is another comic made into a movie, this time Black Widow, and as the movies there is no explanation of the story, you just have to guess what's going on. Widows are young women who assassinate important people in order of some organization. The Black Widow does not comply to this organization anymore and goes her own way, to even bring down that organization. The action, acting, directing, not top notch, but mediocre-good. Compared to the last chick flick, Wonder Woman 1984, this movie is a lot better, but still a struggle to get trough. The first half of the movie there is an overload of action scenes, but they are all the same, women who roll around the neck of an opponent to work them down to the floor, over and over again, like it's the only move they have ever learned. Then there is a homecoming scene that goes on for ever and ever, so boring. And then off course the boss level end-scene. My advise, if you have nothing else to watch or to do, you could give this movie a try, if you never see this movie, then you have missed out nothing.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.