Sing (2016) Poster

(2016)

Great movie.
rdoubleoc27 February 2019
I've seen quite a few animated movies, but this one was very theatrical and memorable. Great choice of cast for voices, great story, and great animation. Not just a kids movie -- a lot of adults will like this as well.
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great songs and great characters
klchu26 November 2016
I knew I was in for a good music movie when the first song gave me chills.

I went into this movie expecting lots of songs and gags, and they are there, but I didn't expect to start caring about the characters and their stories. SING brings together a talented cast and writers for a movie that transcends some of the animated movies out there. The whole family loved it so feel free to bring anyone from 5 on up. Even the younger ones may enjoy it when it's available at home.

Every voice actor delivers and the animators nailed it. The pacing and directing are also very well done. In fact, I could have done with even more of the "auditions" at the beginning.
143 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sing is the most enjoyable of the musical computer-animated movies we've seen this year!
tavm21 December 2016
This is the third computer-animated movie in a row that features actual singing by the characters after Trolls and Moana. The title basically means just about every character is singing something because it's about a singing contest being produced because the producer wants something that brings the people to his theatre, not like those previous shows that didn't do much for his career. Seems like all genres of music from various decades is represented here. My movie theatre-working friend was especially enamored with the gorilla singing a song associated with his favorite singer, Elton John. This movie does show the struggles of putting on a show and possible disasters that happen when risks are taken. I really don't want to reveal any more so I'll just say that me and my friend highly recommend Sing.
70 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A simple story with a cast of animal characters that come to life and warm our hearts
Ed-Shullivan3 February 2017
This date night was going to be an unexpected twofer. First on our list we saw La La Land and just loved it so we stuck to the musical genre and next on our list was the lighter side of comedy with the animation feature Sing. Neither Mrs. Shullivan or I are fans of 3-D films but this was the only format being offered at 10:00 PM so we went for it. It took me about 15 minutes to adjust to the 3D format even though I have tried it a few times before, and my opinion has not changed. In my opinion the 3D format does not add any value to a film and by the sparse theater crowd I assume most are in agreement with me. Producers have attempted the 3D format for more than 60 years now with little success and I will be glad when the format is abandoned and the editors rely on content quality and not CGI.

The film Sing is great and it will appeal to a vast crowd from the age of 3 to 103. After I had adjusted to the 3D format and we got to know the animal characters and the story line I for one just forgot that it was an animated feature and I sat back and watched the film progress in a very positive light. There are some big name stars lending their voices and I am sure they are proud of their finished product.

Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey) owns a theater for live performances that lately he has been unable to sustain paying his debts so the bank is after him to pay up or the bank will repossess Buster's dream theater. Buster's late father had worked extremely hard in his car wash across the street from the theater to fulfill Buster's dream to open the theater and Buster needed to pull off the biggest hit of his life if he were to keep his dream theater out of the bankers grasp. Each of the animal characters has a story to tell. Each of the animal characters also has a great voice and a personal life that the winning prize money if they were to win the sing off would take care of.

The plot is simple so the children should be able to follow along relatively easy, all the animated animal characters were adorable. There are also some bad guys besides the bankers who want their hands on the prize money, and this just adds more humor and excitement to this cute little animated feature.

The songs were great, the story line very heartwarming, and the animated characters were all cute and cuddly. Mrs. Shullivan and I ended our date night on a high note for this twofer evening. I give the film an 8 out of 10 rating, taking two points off for making me watch the film in 3D which did nothing to enhance this viewers experience.

If you like this review I also wrote one on the first film we saw tonight which was La La Land.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lighthearted and inspiring
aminifatimaaa20 May 2019
An immensely enjoyable & likeable animated comedy, Garth Jennings' Sing is extremely entertaining to children and adults. The film may not, however, leave a lasting impression as the tale of a singing competition and its animal competitors does little to stand out. Characters are cute, and voice-talent is strong; but both the narrative and the animation lack depth. Sing is fun, but it rarely hits any high notes.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't completely sing, but really soars when it does
TheLittleSongbird21 July 2017
Took me a while to come round to watching 'Sing'. It looked very interesting, and animation and musicals are things there is a real personal fondness for. Why did it take so long to watch it? Being behind with my film watching and hearing very divisive opinions on how good it was or not.

Seeing 'Sing' for myself finally with an open mind, from personal opinion it was an enjoyable film with many good elements but has a few things that stop it from being even better. It really does soar fantastically when it does work, which it does a vast majority of the time, but doesn't completely sing with a few things that weren't given quite enough attention. While opinions seem mostly mixed to positive, it is easy to see why people will find fault with it. As far as 2016 animated films go, it's a good one and one of the better ones but there are far superior ones overall.

Let's start with the positives, which are a great many. The animation is wonderful, it's bright, colourful, rich in detail and with slick character designs and some parts in the musical numbers have some imagination. Absolutely loved the soundtrack, which was incredibly varied which was great (from the Beatles and Katy Perry to Puccini and Stevie Wonder, amongst many others) and they are not just great songs on their own but the renditions of them have so much passion and heart (even remarkably fresh takes on songs that are done to death in talent shows).

Most of the writing is good with something for both kids (younger and a little bit older) and adults. Parts are very funny and others very heartfelt. Likewise with the story, simple and standard stuff but it entertains and it moves with very emotional and beautifully written back-stories for particularly Johnny and Meena. The portrayal of talent shows and the backstage drama, while not much new at all, is affectionate and with much heart instead of being cynical or exploitative. Its message is universal and is as easy to relate to as the best of 'Sing's' characters.

Enjoyed most of the characters, Johnny and Meena are instantly easy to relate to and the portrayal of the underdog with a heart of gold will also appeal greatly. The chemistry between them all is great. The voice acting is terrific, especially slick Matthew McConaughey, emotive Taron Egerton (really surprised me he did) and Tori Kelly and sassy Reese Witherspoon. John C Reilly is funny too.

However, as has been acknowledged, 'Sing' is pretty predictable in places and would have benefited from having less characters and richer depth to more of the back-stories, all interesting but some rushed and not explored enough. Some of the characters were too thinly sketched, and some could have been left out entirely (a shame when most were written very well).

For instance, count me in as somebody who found Mike an unpleasant and annoying character that will go over some children's heads and will make adults question about the message the character is meant to give out. Seth MacFarlane overdoes it in the voice acting too and considering the type of film needed to tone things down, this is a family film not the more adult-oriented 'Family Guy'.

On the whole, while not perfect 'Sing' is enjoyable family fun. 7/10 Bethany Cox
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Illumination Scores With Sing
view_and_review11 December 2021
Illumination Entertainment jumped into the animation game in 2010 with "Despicable Me" to challenge DreamWorks and Pixar and they made a big splash. They released some rather flat movies after that, but they'd already established that they could make a hit. "Sing" is proof that they only needed the right story with the right characters and they could be back in the conversation without a "Despicable Me" derivative.

In "Sing" a koala named Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey) was a struggling theater producer. He was trying to keep his dream afloat of running a successful theater, but he kept producing terrible acts. Then, with his back against the wall and his theater in danger, a brilliant idea coupled with a typo gave him the talent needed to make a hit.

"Sing" was comical, upbeat, and had great music. With actors like Reese Witherspoon, Seth MacFarlane, Scarlett Johansson, John C. Reilly, and others lending their voices, the names were certainly there. But it would be the singing voices that stole the show. It's something about the right musical numbers that makes everything come alive.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie. Clean entertainment for kids.
vasanisalim19 December 2016
We saw Sing at a free preview organized by the makers and AMC. I really enjoyed watching the movie with my kids. I appreciate the fact that the makers did not resort to toilet humor to generate laughs. The entertainment was clean. There were no unnecessary sexual references.

I like kids movies that inspire and Sing managed to do that. It encouraged kids to get over their fears and try against all odds.

All the characters were lovable and unique in their personalities. Movie also had some very good music. Length of the movie was just fine for kids. My kids sat through the whole movie and did not get bored or restless till the end. Everybody in the theater seemed to have a good time. Nice feel good movie to watch with the kids. Go for it.
102 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting characters, great concept
Floated227 July 2019
There have seemingly been a wave a very solid animation movies within the last few years or so. Sing is quite a different animation film since the basic is about singing. Initially did not expect this film to be great, funny or interesting but upon viewing, there was something different in both style and originality with this film.

What makes this film work is not only the singing (there are a blend of older songs and newer ones of different genres) but the different type of characters, and how each main animal character is given a backstory and subplot.

For a family/children film it works- the comedy is juvenile, the visuals are nice to look at and it sends a positive message. Exceeded expectations, anticipating Sing 2.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like "Zootopia," with singing.
Amthermandes15 January 2021
It's a cute film, despite the overbearing typical modern themes of "you're special," "you can do anything you set your mind to", and "follow your heart". Plot development and execution is extremely predictable and "cookie-cutter", but the good stuff is all in the details: the humor, the characters, the animation, and sure, even the music.

One may think the movie is purely a platform upon which to showcase all the current, popular musical artists, with almost no thought or heart going into everything else, but thankfully this is not the case. It's not perfect, and yes, there is heavy "music placement", but it should be obvious even to the most skeptic of critics that a lot of work went into creating a fun, family-friendly movie for all.

The actors & singers do a great job too, and on a personal note, it's a great way for anyone unfamiliar with Seth MacFarlane's singing abilities to see just how friggin' talented the guy is, despite their opinion of him.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good animated film with great singing performances.
Anurag-Shetty3 January 2017
Sing tells the story of a koala named, Buster Moon(Matthew McConaughey). To save his theater from shutting down, Buster has a singing competition involving some very talented animals.

Sing is a fun film. The animation is superb. The 3D is impressive. All the actors sing really well. The only flaw in the movie is, there is not too much humor in it. There are barely any laugh-out-loud scenes in the film. A note on the voice-over work. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant as Buster Moon. Reese Witherspoon is awesome as Rosita. Seth MacFarlane is excellent as Mike. Scarlett Johansson is spectacular as Ash. John C. Reilly is great as Eddie. Taron Egerton is outstanding as Johnny. Tori Kelly is amazing as Meena. The supporting cast is good. Sing is not a must watch. However, it is worth a watch with your family.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hellmant4 January 2017
'SING': Four Stars (Out of Five)

The new hit computer-animated comedy musical; about a bunch of anthropomorphic animals that enter a singing competition, hosted by a koala bear that's trying to save his theater. It was written and directed by Garth Jennings (who also helmed 2007's 'SON OF RAMBOW', and 2005's 'THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY'), and it was co- directed by Christophe Lourdelet (a veteran animator, and first time filmmaker). It stars the voice talents of Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Seth MacFarlane, Scarlet Johansson, Taron Egerton, Tori Kelly, John C. Reilly, Nick Kroll, Jennifer Saunders and Jennings himself. The movie received mostly positive reviews from critics, and it's a blockbuster at the Box Office. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The story is set in a world inhabited entirely by humanoid animals. Buster Moon (McConaughey) is a hard working koala; who owns a classic theater, which hasn't been doing well financially (in quite some time). Buster is extremely optimistic that he can save it though, if he puts on a singing contest. When the $1,000 prize money is accidentally advertised as $100,000, many animals are eager to audition. Buster is determined to press on, despite not having the reward money that's promised. Multiple talented misfits ambitiously pursue their dreams, by participating in the competition.

I'm not a big fan of most animated kids' films, these days, but this is one of the better ones. It's entertaining, beautiful to look at, and it's pretty emotional, at times, and inspiring as well. The music is all catchy, and fun to listen to, and the voice cast all does a good job. The film is funny, without being too overly silly too. I really enjoyed it, and I think most kids will as well.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://youtu.be/xGBv2IpDjDc
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A whole new kind of Hybrid flick
wewilsons22 December 2016
Forget the book version reviews, they like their own voice.

I was very surprised at this movie. The depth of the character development for animated people/animal things. The number of characters was complex but complimentary. The thorough plot and plot twists. And then the music, singing. Super heavyweight Jen Hudson, pros like Reese Witherspoon, Tori, Jennifer Saunders, John Reilly. The singing built up throughout. And shocker to me Scarlett Johansonn was awesome. Its got fart jokes, jiggly pig bellies, sad family tales and a really super ending.

Pay your dues, have no expectations, sit and enjoy. Sing my arse, they Jennifer Hudson'ed this flick. Awesome !!
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
mrsjond4 December 2016
I have just seen Sing with Hubby and two 7 year old's we all thought it was absolutely brilliant. It is rare for us all agree we all enjoyed a film. In fact this is the only one this year.

The music was first class lots of heads rocking to the beat, it had a good variety of music and I am even considering getting the soundtrack.

Rosita Pig was my favourite character and I thought Reece Witherspoon had an amazing voice though really all of them were good singers.

If you are looking to start the New Year off (as due for release in January 2017) I cannot recommend going to see this film enough as "fun for all the family".
79 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Illumination finally gives their formula the life and respect necessary for it to succeed
StevePulaski26 November 2016
After wading in the water in terms of quality for the better half of this year, Illumination Entertainment finally gets the above-average film they deserve with Sing. The sad part about a film like this - which is basically an animated variety show of animals covering yesterday and today's pop tunes - is it's more likely to fail than succeed on the simple merit that its narrative prompts for things like humor based on recognition, general unevenness, and lazy screen writing. While all of those certainly come into play sooner or later, you might just be surprised, as I was, how Sing's effervescent charm sneaks up on you well into its second act and manifests its way into becoming an enjoyable, character-centered experience.

The film revolves around the perky Buster Moon (voiced by Matthew McConaughey), a Koala bear who owns the historic Moon Theatre and has for the past twenty-five years. In the present day, however, the theater is dilapidated, with crippled, worn infrastructure that can barely stay intact. Buster hasn't put on a show in three years, but with the help of his elderly, but well-meaning lizard assistant Ms. Crawly (director Garth Jennings), they decide to host a singing competition which will eventually pave the way for a variety show of sorts for the entire neighborhood.

Originally intending the winner of the competition to get $1,000, a typo by Ms. Crawly renders the cash prize $100,000, money that Buster doesn't have but must fake like he does until the show is over. This becomes harder to do when he sees exactly how troubled most of his talent are, and how they're all singing to escape or better themselves. There's a teenage gorilla named Johnny (Taron Egerton), who is trying to forge a path for himself unlike his father's that doesn't involve petty crime and gang activity, a mouse named Mike (Seth MacFarlane), who is in total debt with no immediate relief, a young elephant named Meena (Tori Kelly), who needs to overcome stage-fright in order to pursue his dreams as a singer, a porcupine named Ash (Scarlett Johansson), who gets accepted while the other half of her duo/boyfriend Lance (Beck Bennett) does not, and a pig named Rosita (Reese Witherspoon), who is caught in the middle of a struggling marriage with her husband and twenty-five piglets as she tries to relive her years as a performer.

A movie where animals sing once-popular radio hits feels like the "cat video"-infested bowels of Youtube taken to the next level, so on that note, much like their film The Secret Life of Pets, Illumination has cracked the secret to getting people interested in their films on a purely conceptual (no matter how basic) level. But after insulting us with Minions and shortchanging us with Pets, the studio finally gets it right with Sing by giving us what we subconsciously expected to see, which was a bit of a story behind the characters. We'll come for the cuteness, but we'd also like to be given a reason to stay and a reason to connect to the film.

Sing features an amiable cast of characters with familiar voices - McConaughey and MacFarlane are very good, for that matter - and infuses their stories with enough interest to make them transcend the tropes they could've fallen into it quite easily. For example, the stories of Meena, Rosita, and Ash are actually kind of sad, and give way to the wonderful idea of female empowerment based on breaking out of "your place" or your comfort zone and fully becoming your own, confident person. Common, absolutely, but screenwriter Jennings infuses a bit of disillusionment into their stories to give them an emotional layer that might even echo or resonate with parents, who thought they were taking their kids to see another cute and cuddly kid movie. Maybe they might even see something in the way the Johnny character feels, as he's constantly pressured by his father to be tough and to be a part of his gang rather than encouraging him to be his own person.

Sing has moments where its lazy screen writing does prevail, such as the handful of montages we get that show a goofy pig dancing to Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" or kangaroos singing the Men Without Hats' "Safety Dance." They're moments of brief amusement until you realize how entirely vapid and distracting they really are. Thankfully, where Jennings could've stopped writing, he decided to keep going, and the result is a modestly successful animated film that at least makes an admirable attempt to give us more than the internet and other movies of the like already have.

Voiced by: Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Seth MacFarlane, Taron Egerton, Scarlett Johansson, Tori Kelly, Beck Bennett, and Garth Jennings. Directed by: Garth Jennings.
14 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best, Feel Good films of 2016!
GhostHunter1229 November 2016
I got a chance to view "Sing" at a early Pre-Screening and it was an absolute blast. Starring the film was an all star cast, too many to name and they all did a spectacular job singing and acting, the main star that gave me goosebumps singing was Tori Kelly, she can sing the house down. The movie was a feel good movie and it had things for both Kids and the Adults to enjoy. Me and the audience laughed throughout and enjoyed the film, we even clapped when the end credits rolled. This by far to me beats "Secret Life of Pets", I thought "Secret Life of Pets" was an okay film but I was so disappointed. I Highly recommend everyone to see "Sing" when it releases in theaters December 21st.
49 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SING will Blow You Away!
octogonpc12 December 2016
We just finished seeing "SING", and it is undeniably effervescent and will make you leave your cares in the cinema and burst with youthful glee as you witness the effect of the performances on the little children (and some adults), and the happiness emoted from their actions. IF that doesn't make you want to see this movie...you probably shouldn't, for it will possess you with a spirit of joy that you'll have to later explain why your body was moving the way it just did. This is a great Family Movie that everyone will enjoy, for young and old, 8 to 80, blind, crippled or crazy...this is a must see Holiday Treat!
64 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Bad, But At Least There Are No Minions In Sight
matthewssilverhammer30 December 2016
2016 has been a porcupine quill in the eye, so it feels appropriate that Sing, a decided disappointment, is the last movie I review this year. Illumination (Minions, Despicable Me) might be the most mediocre studio around; each of their movies have such potential, yet refuse to reach past clichéd stories, characters, and humor. Sing is no different, leaning on montages to fix problems, stilted familiarity to force emotion, and a long-expired message about kids being themselves. Gimme a break. It starts great, introducing us to each of the singing-animal characters with a flying shot, letting us know how they're music affects and is affected by the life around them. Unfortunately from there, each high note the movie hits is undercut by a sour one. The lack of one clear protagonist gives it some stakes, but they do little with them except to bombard us with "The Voice" style sob stories. The song performances definitely have their moments, but they also have their annoyances (Crazy Town's "Butterfly"; rabbits singing "Anaconda"; yet ANOTHER cover of "Hallelujah"). The one decent character, a soulful gorilla named Johnny, is even ruined by a dangerously cynical parenting storyline. Worst of all, the humor fails. In my theater, the only joke that garnered real guffaws was a shoddy gag about nervous farting. The characters being animals serves no purpose but to cheaply engage children, unlike the far superior Zootopia from earlier this year, which used its non-human characters to great comedic and thematic effect. I guess if you found the trailers for Sing hilarious, emotionally fulfilling and coherently plotted, then you may enjoy this. Otherwise, don't buy a ticket for this show.
22 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dubious, vapid, trite, shallow, with nothing really to say at all
Rob-O-Cop5 March 2017
Trailing miles behind Pixar/Disney in the story department Illumination doesn't seem to be able to deliver anything worthwhile to audiences in terms of insight, laughs and meaning. They're still stuck in another decade as far as quality animation with depth is concerned, and this movie is not only no exception it pushes the bar even lower for them.

There's nothing wrong with the look and sound of their productions but the content is shockingly vapid, and even worse sends out dubious messages to it's young an impressionable audiences.

In this movie we have a gorilla family involved in organised crime portrayed as normal. They of course are voiced with non American accents cos crime is foreign, right? Then there's the mean-natured mouse who cheats the Russian bears at gambling and ends up with the tarty mouse and no repercussions for his mean-natured behaviour through out the whole movie.

The Koala steals electricity and water and cons his way to keep his theatre alive, but this is just charming behaviour of course.

The film is full of cliché character portrayals and vacuous 'role models' wrapped in the myth of singing stardom c/o the American idol myth.

There is nothing of real value for children here, let alone any real depth for the average adult. The only thing going on here is a dark cynical racist pastiche of the ugliness of the entertainment industry played like it was a positive thing. Gee, thanks for your contribution to society.
37 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Took my 12 year old to see it and we were both BLOWN AWAY! A++
karenbethyoung4 January 2017
So no joke, I bought the soundtrack while the credits were rolling for the car... for me the Mom! I was so utterly impressed, never got bored and thought it was a kiddie movie, never not wanting to hear the next song. Who ever chose the songs they perform is genius. I still cannot get over the vocals of all of the actors, they were incredible. Jennifer Hudson's rendition of Golden Slumbers is soul lifting. We just saw t after the Christmas rush in 3D, and that was the best way to really appreciate it. If your tween wants to see it, this is one you as a parent will love.❤ I can't get over "Eddie the Eagle" as "Mike", his vocals are beyond incredible.
37 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James_De_Bello15 December 2016
Theater producer Buster Moon (Matthew McConaghuey) owns the most glorious theater in town, but his many failures have brought the theater gradually into almost falling apart. When the bank gives an ultimatum to Moon has one last chance to reestablish the theater to its former glory and he decides to assemble the greatest singing competition ever put to stage.

By reading that synopsis I don't think anyone would ever believe it needed to have animals as characters and that cuts right to the problems "Sing" has, even though it manages to sneak in some good laughs and funny characters, the final product ends up being a mess, overlong and stuffed with too much stuff for a single film.

What is sad about this film is that it furthers a pre-conception about Illumination Entertainment and the more we go on the more that becomes evident: they are not making movies based on good stories, their interest is widely oriented towards flashy products that attract kids and they keep struggling with bringing those ideas on screen in a way that makes a film pleasant and watchable for all audiences. Their animation is also inferior to anything we've seen in the genre recently. So of course they are making tons of money and good for them, but the more we go on the more I frown when the logo of the company comes in before the film, it has never meant good news up until now and that's really sad.

Garth Jennings worked on this project for five years and wrote and directed this alone, something very rare in the animation world, so he definitely deserves a huge amount of respect for diving into such an effort and, admittedly, he comes out with some good stuff: many of the characters in this film have a great starting point and an effortlessly comedic dynamic, Miss Crawly, voiced by Jennings himself, is the old lizard assistant to Moon and almost all of her jokes work, her dynamic on screen is just comedic gold. Seth MacFarlane also brings to life a hilarious, irreverent rat with a passion for jazz and that is another element of the film that really works.

There is also a raw energy to the film that is established through the music that is passed on to the audience in a positive way for the major part, it gets you going along with the characters and brings out some very funny musical gags and jokes that are definitely the highlight of the film. There's also to consider the fact that the protagonist of the film is incredibly likable and even though his journey doesn't offer much emotionally, he remains a strong character with some very strong traits.

Yet, nothing, not even he incredibly high spirited joyful atmosphere of the film can save some of the big flaws in the storytelling and the overall concept of the film. There are no two ways around it: you are watching a film with anthropomorphized animals and I couldn't, for the life of me, explain to myself why they were animals and why was this the medium through which I was watching the film, it is a fatal story flaw that annoyed the hell out of me, especially considering how big of a production this is.

Another highly unbalanced element is how the music is handled in the story. Whilst it does manage to give the film a pleasant beat at times, for the majority of the film the way in which the characters interact with it is pathetic and this is coming from someone who has been a musician for all of his life. The message behind the music, the way showmanship is represented, the idea of the competition and worst of all the actual music choice, all of this is handled terribly, it sets a terrible example for kids and it really disrespects the musician figure. It does not manage to make the music relevant thematically or emotionally and that is yet another flaw in how the movie is structured and brought to life.

Finally, there are many touches of style in the film that fail miserably. The way the characters are introduced by making the camera move fast around the city, is one of the laziest and most useless techniques I have ever has the displeasure to experience in a theater and I think that everyone involved in taking that decision should really think about it. It is terribly out of place and adds nothing to the story or the tone of the film. It is really something that I was shocked to see employed in an A+ Hollywood production and this is not the only useless and lazy stylish addition that the film employs.

Overall sing has some good comedic touches, some likable characters and an overall energetic vibe to favor it, yet the film on a whole does not stand up as a pleasantly joyful experience because of several flaws from the inception of the idea to the character development.
23 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sing the praises
grandmastersik9 January 2017
Let me start off by saying that I HATE all those singing competitions on TV... so my initial thoughts were, "Why on earth would I want to sit through an animated X Factor?"

Luckily, my little girl wanted to see it, and reluctantly I took her, making note of the Just Dance-inspired soundtrack and Blake Snyder style storytelling-by-numbers. Suddenly though, despite all the clichés, typical Hollywood plot beats and predictability, I found that I actually cared what was happening. No, it was more than that, I was completely engrossed - and I don't even know how or when it happened.

Sing is a unique and bizarre film: it's the perfect example of stars aligning to turn even the most sceptical viewer into a sniffing, pumped-up fan of song, dance and being just alive. It's the kind of film that says, "Wow, there really is still magic in Hollywood."

I've never been a fan of Elton John and my knowledge of Taylor Swift began at ended at her being a pop singer, but each song fitted perfectly and to see my little girl stamp her feet and clap was worth the admission price alone! Sing is the ultimate feel good film; we left on a high and it lasted for days afterwards.

In this age of Netflix, where the concept of owning DVDs is quickly becoming obsolete, here is a film well worth the purchase when it becomes available. Fantastic.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sing
ashleydesern22 December 2016
I went into this movie not expecting very much. I had recently seen Zootopia and Pets, both animated movies set in worlds full of solely animals, and had similar expectations. Sing, however, had much more of a plot than I had expected. The animals go through some real issues and struggles faced by people who own small businesses or businesses related to fine arts. This is a good movie to take the kids to as it is animated, full of songs, and family friendly in its humor. The outstanding cast full of big names in the must industry makes the movie more inviting to parents as well. Overall, this movie was worth the watch.
44 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just beautiful
justintimms28 January 2020
Beautiful song, writing beautiful, voice is beautiful, story a beautiful, movie must be watch for all children and adults.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sensational dramatic experience. Full of joy, tears, laughter and pleasure
toshani200317 December 2016
I did not like the trailer, nor the poster. I got a free voucher and I had to use it. I was surprised that the movie got a high rating at IMDb (>7), "what the hec" I said; I will just see it. From the 1st five minutes I was attracted to the amazing characters and the plot. It was a totally different experience to me than any other movie; I literally burst in laughter in some scenes and cried in others; my feet were dancing whenever they sing a song and it all reach a breath-taking climax at the end. The plot brings amazing background story of each character and dramatically shows us how they all overcome their troubles to reach their goals. You should see this movie and enjoy the music and the character development. I rated it 8
30 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.