War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) Poster

Too many 1 star ratings....somethings up
Uncle-Feggster15 June 2018
Sometimes, when I read reviews about movies on IMDb, I see patterns in the writing. Similar text, similar structuring and similar indignant shouting. Read enough of them and you see that quite often there is an underlying reason why the reviews are marking a film so low. Be it political or religious. Very rarely is it actually about the quality of the film. More often it is about a personal issue that the reviewer has - and so he vents his anger in the only way that's he knows how - a screaming one star rating and a list of reasons why the film is the worst he has ever seen. Makes you wonder what kind of a strange person would do that.

However, if you read past all the silly 1 star ratings you often get to the truth. And the truth as far as this film is concerned is that it is a cracker. It draws you in like none of the other ape movies - it's pacing is superb, the visual effect stunning.

I would suggest that you ignore the ranting 1 star reviews and take them for what's they are - a few individuals with multiple accounts and strange views on the world.
36 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
everyone who gave this film a 1* rating?
urthpainter25 July 2017
Seriously needs to reevaluate the criteria by which they review films. Why? Because giving this film 1/10 says, "I am ignorant of quality film making." Descriptions like slow and boring just don't cut it! Opinions like this are an act of ultimate laziness - the inability to mentally invest in the passive experience of a film. An inability to invest in a well made film that has something to say no less.

Everyone has the right to an opinion - but when a person abandons merit before their eyes, and quality film making is overlooked by choice? That is simply, unfortunate. I can continue to admonish those without taste, but what good is that?

War for the Planet of the Apes isn't a good movie - it's a Great movie!!! I thought part one was above average, part two was surprisingly good - but this movie? Its a borderline classic!

In a nutshell, War for the Planet of the Apes is a struggle for survival between Caesar's group of sentient apes (gorillas, orangutans), and a derelict group of soldiers led by a broken/crazed leader. This fight begins as open warfare but moves to very close quarter survival between captors and prisoners. There is a lot of heavy, dramatic sequences - and I would say this movie compromises entertainment for meaningful content. Normally I am very critical of this type of film, but not this time! Everything serves the characters and story - and in doing so becomes a project that far exceeds the sum of its parts. Yes this movie has death, suffering and plight - and it also has heroism, empathy and displays the strength of unity.

The effects are astonishing - and immediately allow the viewer to slip into the world in a believable way. It is possible that this movie is 5 years ahead of its time. It may be a while before another film achieves this level of drama, all while being a heavily effect driven experience.

Apparently this movie requires an active viewer. A person actually has to show up, absorb the content of a film that will not pander to selfish, "give me action" needs. More science fiction should be this brave and literate. I love movies that ask interesting questions and can bring you on an emotional adventure. It is surprising to me that the third film in this trilogy would improve so much on the previous two films - good movies in their own right.

Way more I could talk up: great soundtrack! The music both blends in and adds to the drama/action - the best kind of soundtracking - beautiful camera work in interesting locations, and several unique characters, many of whom never utter a word of dialog! This movie is full of great character building, and all the big moments really land where they should.

For me, best movie of the 2017 summer - maybe the year!

All the 1* reviews at IMDb are a mystery... audience approval for this movie isn't this low. Very odd, anyways for those who care, critics got this one right - 9/10
102 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't understand all the hate.
larrymeers17 July 2017
Before i saw this movie i looked at some people's opinions about it and i saw mostly negative reviews, so i was really nervous going into this movie thinking that i would have had the same reaction to it and seriously i have no idea what those people are talking about.

So War for the planet of the apes is the 3rd film in the new prequel/Reboot of the planet of the apes movies. And this is about Caeser going on a journey to stop a war between his apes and an army of highly trained soldiers, while he also tries to control his more violent instincts.

First the obvious, the CGI is amazing and is truly a technological marvel to cinema. Andy Serkis once again plays the ape ruler Caesar and is easily the best movie character in recent years, in each film he has gotten progressively better and in this one it is definitely the best performance. The story is great and is well acted throughout. This movie is also an amazing drama. There are a lot of moments that just make you jerk a tear every once in a while and its believable. The action sequences are pretty good too. Woody Harrelson plays the colonel and he does a pretty good job at it (He is not as good as koba but still good). He is just a character that you can relate to and you understand why he is doing all of this. Caesar and the colonel are pretty relatable. As much as i would love to say how great this movie is, i better stop right here.

I loved every part of this movie and i did not find anything i did not like about it, but i am gonna talk about why i think most people were disappointed with this film. So if you watched all the trailers and looked at the title you may be expecting one thing, a ton of apes and humans fighting with guns and rockets. But although there is some of that in this movie, its definitely not the main point of it. This movie to its core is about the war that a person faces emotionally while war is happening around him. We see this concept with Caesar all the way through the movie.

It also talks about what terrible things a person or people would do in a war. Woody Harrelson's character does what he does because he believes that the entire human race is going to go extinct if he does not act. I mean, would you do that if you knew that you could slowly be replaced by another species?

So some people do not like this film because they were expecting a full on hardcore war movie. And it is that, but it really is a commentary about how a person has a war within themselves when war is happening around them. And people either missed, did not care, or did not understand the more darker themes about this movie.

But anyway, in the end i thought this movie was a masterpiece in every way it could have been. It has amazing CGI, performances, action sequences, dark themes, tear jerking moments, and a beautiful moral to it. A+ or 10/10 APES TOGETHER STRONG!
615 out of 1,065 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Editorial Mentor Mr.Stan Salfas's Remarkable Editing!
hilaryswank201125 September 2017
I enjoyed this film and found quite familiar with the taste of editing style. This film is originally a job of Mr.Stan Salfas, ACE! His editing is strictly based on storytelling methodology of Robert McKee.

His beautiful cuts in this film are appeared in the sequence in which Caesar's family killed by the Colonel. The close ups between Caesar and the Colonel are well managed in the most tragic moment.

On the other hands, it is when Caesar was suddenly shot after the death of the Colonel in silence.

Caesar is a typical oppressed nation's leader, and the Colonel is a classical imperialist army officer. Mr.Salfas's reverse cutting reveals this core conflict.

What I appreciate is that US films reveal the evilness of imperial acts taken by its politicians. Self-criticism is done by filmmaking. Moreover, it successfully turned into the blockbuster entertainment.

Individualism and anti-imperialism attitude are quite strong, and other sub characters need more intelligence. Caesar and the Colonel are too big. I prefer more anti-imperialism, and more collectivism.

Fortune is not religiously decided but it cannot individually be controlled. What we can do is to do our best efforts under difficulties. At least, the apes expressed this thought.
119 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
there is something deeply wrong with so many IMDb user
madonaalaeddine28 July 2017
I am astonished, truly, that a hollow movie like spider-man; homecoming that is instantly forgettable and fixated on lame themes of stupid first-world teenage angst scored better user reviews than this masterpiece. it really says a lot about the mindlessness of modern cinema audiences, especially when the main argument is that ' there isn't enough war'. that said, user reviews are moronic. Planet of the apes is a triumph, really touching and thought, provoking on so many levels. i saw it days ago and the emotion of the film is still very fresh in my mind. in fact the more it occurs to me, the richer the movie becomes. if this is not nominated in the best film Oscars category, then the Academy is as daft as so many IMDb users.
328 out of 596 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some of the worst writing I have ever seen
fkarpenko22 July 2017
I was first reluctant to see this film when my friend invited me but after seeing that it has a whopping 8.1 rating and remembering that the previous films were quite enjoyable I was prepared to see a truly good movie. I was incredibly disappointed. **SPOILERS** My first trouble with the film happened with the appearance of the little girl, who seemed to serve absolutely no purpose other than to spontaneously cause tear- jerking moments which were accompanied by sad music in every instance. Throughout the film there must have been around 10 of these, all of them completely pointless and forced. It also baffled me that she had close to 0 reaction to her father dying yet, when a gorilla who she had known for literally one day died, she wept like it was her brother. Another massive problem is that the entire plot of this movie hinges on one condition: that every single person out of the ~1,000 soldiers at the concentration camp is a complete and utter imbecile. Caesar's crew is running around right outside of the walls of the camp? Of course no one notices, why would anyone be on over-watch at a military base? All of the monkeys escape from their cages? Of course there was only one person watching over them. In addition to that, for the duration of what seemed like 10 minutes no one else even noticed that all the monkeys were gone or that the single guard watching over them was killed. Are these real soldiers!? Even statistically, what are the chances that not a single soldier looked at a cage that is in plain view from any part of the camp. These were just the most glaring issues I had with the film. So little thought went into the script. These are incredibly basic problems which could have been fixed with even the slightest effort, This movie was so incredibly dumb that even my friend who doesn't have much interest in film asked me if I wanted to leave before the film was over.
357 out of 687 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No, it's not really thought provoking, or a very good film at all.
sswilkinson16 July 2017
I've seen the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowell, I've seen the remake with Tim Roth, I've seen thousands of films during my life. War for the Planet of the Apes seemed to me as simply a showcase for the digital ape effects.

It's full of closeups of different digital ape faces against a blurry background. Af if it's 1957 and we should be marveling at new Disneyland animatronic characters. It's full of distant shots of digital chimps scurrying around. That's most of the movie.

What people are saying is thought provoking, is a simple illustration of two groups in conflict. Draw comparisons to Nazis and Jews, black and white, Shia and Shi'ite, slave and slave owner. The same "thought provoking" questions arise.

The only difference here is that it's put into a science fiction context - what if apes were as smart as humans? Well, what if cats were? Or squirrels? Had this been an action film, I'd say OK, it's an action movie and it's fine. But it isn't. It has some action, but is not an action film. It's mostly a very slow moving, dull, inarticulate drama.

Inarticulate in two ways. A lot of the apes use sign language instead of speech, and the script is not clever or intellectual. A few flashes of well written dialog come up during an exchange between the Colonel (Woody Harrelson) and Caesar (digital ape) and that's all there is. Less than five minutes. The rest of the dialog is mainly focused on vengeance and war or merciful understanding. There's no complexity or intellectual stimulation here.

I'm shocked that nearly all professional film critics give this movie a high rating and praise. Perhaps they all received $5,000 checks from the film studio.
440 out of 869 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent 10/10
umkmngt12 October 2017
Honestly, i can't understand how people give a score of 1/10.

One user said that "the mass cinematographic audience is every day, every time, worse". I totally agree with that.

This movie is much better than the previous 2. In fact, this movie should be used as "foot" to develop true sequels of the same quality as this, and even better.

Rarely nowadays you can see a movie that is entertaining from the beginning to the end and with all the condiments you could imagine of a great movie. This movie reaches all those levels. And if you do not like it, I honestly could not understand why.

It is moving, has action, has good CGI, good rhythm ... and all that works cohesively to fit in to a very good argument.

What more can I say.

Only those who can truly appreciate this film, forgetting their prequels, only appreciating this ... will understand.

58 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How somebody can think this is a good movie is beyond me
pat-495-7397236 August 2017
This movie is absolute trash. I am a huge fan of the franchise, including the first two installments of the reboot. This film was incredibly disappointing. The plot was almost non-existent, the pacing was all over the place, the tone kept juggling and the development was forced.

It felt like they had no clue how to end the trilogy, so they threw together a ton of walking inserts, and landscape shots with sprinkles of action sequences sparingly used throughout. Slow movies do not bother me but pretentious garbage like this film is entirely not watchable. The solid cinematography and good use of CGI to not make up for the nonsensical plot.

Do yourself a favor and wait on this one. Believe all the bad reviews, I was anxiously awaiting the release of the film, only to be let down. Biggest disappointment of the summer by far.
211 out of 434 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go to a zoo and see real apes instead.
vincewinsagain15 July 2017
Seriously, if you want to see 2 hours of apes locked in a cage then just go see it in person at your local zoo. The $15 admission fee is for about the 15 minutes of CGI. This movie dragged on for so long that I actually began rooting for the humans just so this thing would end. It truly has more plot holes than the Zapruder film. And that's not even mentioning the absurd ending that makes absolutely no sense.

Woody Harrelson is still a legend.
299 out of 630 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skirmish of the planet of the apes.
alistairc_200014 July 2017
Pierre Boulle the French novelist wrote Planet of the Apes (Originally The Monkey Planet). A classic SF novel. In 1968 it was filmed and so started the cinematic journey which leads to this. I watched Battle for the Planet of the apes as a young man. I thought that this movie was going to be along the same lines as that movie. After all, all of the trailers pitch it as a war between the apes and man. I was really looking forward to it. I liked the last two movies. They were not as good as the original series but were still interesting SF movies in their own right. Also, everything has been better than the Tim Burton Planet of the apes.

So I put on my 3d glasses and sat down in Wood Green London to watch the war that would change the face of the planet. So there is a brief skirmish. Then the head ape Corny (as the plot is) sets out to find those responsible for doing wrong to him (yawn). Bring on the WAR I thought. Then they ride around for a bit. Next, we get Escape from Colditz, the great escape or Prison Break. I am still waiting for the promised war. At that end, there is a battle. Not against the apes as they are all escaping. Though unfortunately none of them get on a motorcycle and try to jump over barriers.

I walked out of the cinema and thought what a pile of dung.

The 3d is pathetic. Really this is a movie that could have been good in 3d but wasn't. It is at least 40 minutes too long. Also, it is not the movie they promised. There are no wars in it. It is littered with mistakes. My favourite is the 350-pound gorilla on a horse. No, that horse would have been dead.

Lastly and this is my normal grump. Why did it not say it was based on Planet of the apes by Pierre Boulle? No mention of him in this shamefully bad movie.

I really wanted to like this movie. What I got was a movie that surpassed Burton's POTA's for the worst one in the series.
285 out of 601 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Poetic Final Chapter
Sparse27 July 2017
War for the Planet of the Apes isn't the masterpiece I hoped it'd be. As someone deeply invested in the characters however, it's still a highly satisfying, emotionally- profound final chapter for the trilogy. War also compensates for its relative lack of allegory/social commentary with an intricately complex (and rather poetic) character/story structure, adding new merits to the franchise even if dissatisfying others.

I've been studying/writing about the entire Planet of the Apes franchise for the month leading up to my first viewing of War. Down the line (probably when the director's commentary comes out), I'll revisit my thoughts. For now, here are my impressions.

Matt Reeves returns from Dawn with equitable ambition, making this the best-directed of the trilogy, addressing all of my primary issues from the previous film. Most notably, the pacing is better than Dawn's, with the emotional core always at the forefront and never sidelined. This film still doesn't have the unrelenting momentum of Rise, but it never dragged for me, and felt shorter than 2 hours (as opposed to the 2+ hour runtime). This was enhanced by the riveting (but admittedly sparse) action sequences, especially one not far into the film, which had me on edge. The sense of scope was far more realized in this film, venturing through different landscapes while not feeling claustrophobic, and implying a massive new world of unknown territory. Overall this was an ambitious film, but it didn't innovate from Dawn as Dawn innovated from Rise- -at the time shooting in the mud and rain, now opting for a tamer, snowy environment.

Visually, this is nothing short of a spectacle. The (borderline R-rated) Holocaust imagery is genuinely haunting and unsettling, and crafts a unique tone with the sci-fi premise. Chinlund's production design is more enthralling than Dawn's, even if more greenscreen was used to get the result, contradicting the ambitious physical sets from before. The cinematography by Seresin also improves here, achieving some rather interesting shots, if still less engaging than the symbolic photography from Rise. As for the CG, I'm blown away. As good as the previous films were, there were still moments in which the effects were noticeably computer-generated. In War. . . the effects are flawless--so seamless that I never once actually saw "CGI". The effects in here are no less than groundbreaking. Spectacle isn't everything though, as there were various, smaller directorial flaws woven throughout.

For one, the title card didn't match the style of the first two films, and the highlights of the former films' titles felt shoehorned-in. Also consider the distracting Coke truck in the middle of nowhere, and the ridiculously thin layers of snow covering the tunnels. How much effort would it have taken to show the characters digging or mining through stone? I can mostly excuse these smaller flaws on merits of the meticulously- crafted story.

This is the sole film of the trilogy which wasn't written or adapted from a draft by Rick Jaffa/Amanda Silver, who retrospectively had a better understanding of the franchise's allegorical implications than Reeves/Bomback (who wrote this film). Now, Reeves knows how to create a brilliantly-layered story (not sure about Bomback), but his efforts left much to be desired in the way of commentary/allegory. There are clear (and often brutal) allusions to the Holocaust, with depictions of scapegoating minorities for predicaments the accuser is guilty of. In the way of contemporary commentary, the humans are trying to build a wall which ultimately proves useless (remind you of anything?). All in all though, it doesn't reflect the series' core allegory of racism very well, presenting nothing especially insightful or impressive. The final culprits are a handful of "Did they really just do that?" plot conveniences, mainly the tunnels with conveniently placed holes, but where the writing actually thrives in this film is structure.

In War, we're presented with an abundance of reversals/reflections on the former films' themes. Consider that for the first time since Rise, Caesar finds himself in a cage and inciting a revolution. We also see him abused with water, and fed slop. Also consider the dramatic irony/poetic justice of the virus: designed by humans, activating the speech centers/enhancing intelligence for apes, now doing the precise opposite for humans, effectively switching their roles in a quite literal interpretation of Planet of the Apes' core reversal. Additionally, Alpha Omega isn't just an easter egg--it's about this film as the end of a trilogy and the beginning of a vast mythology, accentuating the motifs within the film.

Character structure in War is also impressive. For example, Caesar kills Nova's father. This draws a parallel between Caesar and the Colonel (who previously killed Caesar's family). This turn not only reflects Caesar's disillusionment with humanity, but incites another parallel with his former opponent, Koba. Note that the now-orphaned Nova is a reflection of young Caesar, growing up and learning to sign with the reverse species. The performances are strong all-around, and there's not much new to be said (also I'm butting heads with IMDb's word limit). I'll add that I really enjoyed the tragic/comedic character of Bad Ape, and that Serkis was brilliant yet again.

I still find Doyle's score for Rise to be the best of the trilogy, but Giacchino manages a noticeable improvement from his work on Dawn. Though still simple in orchestration, the music feels far more realized/developed here, and some nice new themes are added to the fold. I would have liked to hear more Goldsmith sensibilities (and Doyle's themes), but what we got was fantastic nonetheless.

Not long after screening this film, I wanted to watch it again. Had this movie integrated more intelligent commentary and allegorical content, this could have been the second masterpiece within the Apes franchise, next to the 1968 film. I just hope that Fox keeps their damn dirty paws off my Apes until there's another story worth telling.

Score: 9/10
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apes are the better humans now?
D-Defoe13 July 2017
What I do not like about this movie is the basic message: Humans in comparison to animals cannot be trusted, they show no mercy, the animals reach the higher ethical ground and should survive and reign the world.

How is the goal of this message achieved? First, the whole movie plot is filmed from the perspective of the ape- society, their families, their friends, their love and their sorrows. Unlike the perfectly arranged classical Charleton Heston movies in the 60s which bore a shock element in a dark post-nuclear, post-apocalyptic world, where mankind destroyed itself, this movie aims at showing the worthlessness of human beings. The little blonde girl whose father got shot dead by Cesar, didn't loose a single teardrop for her father, but after a short while befriends herself with the apes, starts crying for a dead gorilla, who gave her a flower, gives water and food to the imprisoned killer of her father, Cesar, and feels herself quite comfortable now growing up as a monkey daughter in the sense of a Tarzan, yet in a considerable lower social position.

Second, other humans, except maybe for Woody Harrelson as a pittiful leader of a small company, do not have character depth in this movie, and are basically the enemies, and except for the little blonde girl, they all die, either killed by monkeys, by themselves, or by a snow avalanche.

What a stupid movie! What a stupid message! Worthliness of human beings is being shown here. Of course the human is bad from nature (described as sinner), as the Bible tells us, but he is not worthless, and as Gods creation is above the animals. Here you see the perversion of this idea to the extent.

Now to the ambiance: Cold, snowy, Alaska-like landscape, no cities, no larger Human or animal dwelling places. Most of the time 5 apes and the little blonde girl take the central part in the non-inhabited boreal wilderness on seek of revenge.

The fights: starting with a tactical nonsense Human uphill assault with well equipped tactical weapons against spears and still being lost. Only 3 humans and a silver-backed Gorilla get captivated, and after a short interrogation get released by Cesar, but later become his fiercest enemies again. Major explosions quite in the end of this almost two hours movie. I spare to pinpoint the many flaws of the fights there, just dumb.

Better title in this case would be: "War for the little ape reserve in the Northern Alaska (or whatever landscape it represented)"

Cesar's portrayal - in the beginning: the good leader - in the middle: the bad revenge seeker - at last: and the ugly Spartacus in the workingcamp Conclusion of the movie: all humans dead (except girlie who feels herself as a monkey) and the long exodus to sunny monkey land next to a big evening-sun-bathed lake, where they all lived happily there after,...oh no, not all, Cesar finally died from his arrow wound, which he survived for the 1000 km trek through the deserts of death Valley (or whatever location it represented), with a last glimpse of his little monkey-boy playing with the little blonde human girl, he died right in the arms of his Orang-Utan friend Murksy, Mopsy...forgot the name. Bad.

283 out of 600 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of the worst films I've seen in the cinema!
markking-0693219 July 2017
First time I've ever wrote a review on IMDb.

The title says its all, if you're going to watch this film, watch the first 10mins and the last 20mins, you could go out of the cinema mid-way through and hardly miss anything.

The first planet of the apes was the best, 2nd was good enough, 3rd is just is just rubbish.

Spoiler Towards the end of the film there is a massive oil tank in the middle of the compound where the soldiers were holding out (dumb place to put it), then getting attacked by Apache helis, you would think the massive group Apache helis could take the compound out about a mile away, instead they are flying all beside each other flying over head.

poor story line, poor acting, poor directing, awful film, don't bother wasting your money.
233 out of 490 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm thinking of all the incredible scripts lying in drawers around the world...that will never see the light of a boardroom.
jmcternan-9157428 July 2017
Oh I tried to ignore the propaganda, I really did, the first two films of this trilogy are very good films (and not in a back handed "for a summer blockbuster" sort of compliment), but this is an awful 150 million misstep. This is my 2nd review ever and I don't review things unless they particularly rub me the wrong way.

I'll be spelling certain words wrong to get around word gagging orders on IMDb.

War of the Planet of the Apes literally beats you over the head with this defecation of the human spirit, I'm in awe of how blatantly forward it is and I love good sci-fi commentary. (Battlestar Galactica and The Wire are some of my favorite pieces of fiction)

Here in this script we have no sympathy for Harrelson's and humanity's understandable dilemma as to how to beat a virus that is causing humans to lose their speech and higher faculties. They don't even have the balls to have the apes wipe out what's left of the human army as that would make the apes even more obviously terrible than they already are; so they have a natural disaster do the job. The blond girl/child that they carry with them goes to live with the apes, dumb(from the virus) but happy.......and humanity's downfall is complete. Even though exalt the child's beauty early in the film! But what is beauty without brains ultimately?

What great moral lesson was I supposed to glean? That humans are so terrible that we should walk quietly into the night? Oh look the apes are thick.....but some of them are funny Totally worth it!

Conversations and plot points are so monosyllabic that it was almost orgasmic when Woody Harrelson turned up to speak more than than the few grunts that we hear up to this point and FINALLY gives us a reason to care.

Bonus points for cultural maxisms (spelled wrong to get around censorship) is when the blond child cries over the ape who is killed that she has known for all of two scenes but doesn't even flinch when her father is killed by said group of apes.

Go out to the beach with your kids, hell even go the beach or lake by yourself, hell go further, go out when its raining and make some memories.

Also I'm not the slightest bit Christian and I can see this picture is blatantly not only anti-Christian but to the non religious out there as well its this......anti human, anti intelligence
209 out of 438 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Capper to a classic trilogy
iamjacksmoviechannel11 July 2017
War for the Planet of the Apes, the third film in what I would call a classic trilogy, probably the best all-around set of three we've gotten in the 21st Century, hands down.

This is why we go to the movies. In 2011 no one was expecting much from another Planet of the Apes movie, especially after the Tim Burton debacle 10 years before it. But we came away from it not only entertained, but with a feeling that we just watched an iconic character being born.

Caesar will be to apes what Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine and right now both are looking like Oscar contenders, finally.

Both characters are also involved in a war of another's making, also against humans. Caesar has agreed that those in his tribe must go to higher ground for their own protection and he even stays behind to lead the military away from the rest of them.

This is a Caesar we've seen go from innocent child to cruelly-treated animal to fair and peaceful leader to the regrettable warrior he's had to become because Koba, the ape he trusted, threw him back into this fight. He wanted nothing more than protection for his family and tribe.

Anyone who thinks Andy Serkis isn't doing some of the best acting they've ever seen here has no idea what acting even is. The ape-body movements have almost become second nature now to the severe emotions of guilt and anger that Caesar is going through.

Serkis is bringing all that out and no, if he does win something that doesn't mean that he has to bring all the visual effects people up with him. Did Daniel Day Lewis have to bring up the make-up people when he won for "Lincoln"? No. Why is this any different? The motion- capture performer needs to be recognized, and there has been no better than Serkis.

I also love that Caesar is also fighting this final battle here and his same brothers who helped him escape captivity in the first film voluntarily are right along with him for this. It has a "Saving Private Ryan"/ "Band of Brothers" type vibe, and this is not the only time i'll be making reference to other war films throughout this review.

But yeah these are a lovable and gentle group of 5 apes, so chill and laid back but willing to do anything for Caesar and that is really cool and really touching, particularly the relationship between Caesar and Maurice. Steve Zahn also joined the pack as a comic relief ape who sorta reminded me a bit of Dobby, but he's OK.

And remember I told you I would be making more references to war movies? Well Woody Harrelson's villain is a brilliantly conceived psychopath who definitely compares to a classic character from film history, but I won't say who for fear of giving too much away. But I will say Harrelson is perfect for something like this and is the best villain this summer so far.

A major amount of credit should be given to director Matt Reeves, and screenwriters Mark Bomback, Rick Jaffa, and Amanda Silver, least of which for making an ape riding on horseback so much cooler, and less stupid, with each passing movie.

The fact that Reeves is going to be directing the next Batman movie is particularly interesting to me because the guy doesn't revel in violence in any way. His work on these Apes movies is of violence as a sad necessity. That's Caesar, and that's also more of a Batman people can get behind.

Yes, battles bookend this film and there is also a pretty neat avalanche sequence towards the end but this is a summer blockbuster that doesn't feel the need to give us one over-the- top action sequence after the next and you know what, it proves that's OK.

It has a somber tone but is never depressing. There's a great theme here linking consciousness and the darker parts of human nature, and the film runs the gamut of being heartbreaking, moving, suspenseful, and even inspiring. Yes, Caesar being tied to a cross in one scene is a bit on the nose as far as symbolism, but he's earned it.

Lastly, Michael Giacchino's musical score just sends this finale of Caesar's saga off right. The whole series has just been outstanding. This is what happens when you devote efforts to the here and now rather than to some distant universe (looking at you The Mummy) and on making sure plot threads make sense and have purpose (looking at you Transformers).

It's also what happens when your lead actor is fantastic, when the heart is in the right place, when the goal is the make something that stands the test of time and that will make people want to automatically want to go back to it and say that was one hell of a hero that series created. If you know me, you know I don't usually overstate things but this is a classic up there with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Nolan's Batman trilogy. Add it to the last.

If you liked this, check out Craig James Review on Youtube for more.
103 out of 209 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
dncorp14 July 2017
So obvious that the writers Mark Bomback, Matt Reeves, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver know nothing about anything U.S. Military related.

Author Pierre Boulle of 1963 La Planete des Singes, must be doing backflips in his grave.

The original Planet of the Apes movies (1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973) were much better and closer to what the book was about.

These Remakes (to cater to the Millennials (ages 18 to 39)) are just as disappointing as Tim Burton's Failed 2001 Remake, Planet of the Apes.

War, what War?, more like a small skirmish.

(Spoiler) At the Opening Scenes U.S. Military do NOT bunch up and get close together as one handgrenade, RPG, landmine will kill many. U.S. Military use Night Vision Devices to obtain a significant advantage, instead of rifle mounted flashlights with visible laser aiming devices.

(Spoiler) U.S. Military do not choose places that give the Enemy ANY Tactical Advantages (at the bottom of a valley surrounded by mountains, low locations, places that can be flooded, flat terrain). They would never have been at a location subject to rock slides, nor avalanches.

(Spoiler) Standard Operating Procedure U.S. Military do NOT Charge into Enemy Machineguns like World War 1, World War 2, Korean War. Current idea is to use Airstrikes, Cruise Missile Attacks, "Drone" Strikes, Field Artillery, Mortars, Grenade Launchers from a distance (out of Enemy Weapons Range) to completely eliminate the Enemy. Using these Fires the Enemy is trapped like in a trash compacter, with the Fires behind, to the flanks of the Enemy, with the Fires behind the Enemy preventing Resupply or Reinforcements (Ape Cavalry would have become horse meat dog food), the Fires behind the Enemy moves closer forcing the Enemy to leave their Defensive Positions and attack U.S. Military Machinegun fortifications and defensive positions, result the Enemy gets slaughtered.

Humans have had Thousands of Years to develop the Art of War, the Apes nothing, yet the Movie Writers make the Apes appear to have Graduate from U.S. Military War College.

Woody Harrelson, needs to go back to doing what he did best, that innocent ignorant Cheers Employee, not a Colonel, U.S. Military routinely does Psychological Exams, Woody Harrelson would have never made it from O-1 (Second Lieutenant) to O-2 (First Lieutenant) with all the blunders he made.

The Authors need to stop using the successful Anti War movie Apocalypse Now 1979 as a template, and get creative with their own ideas. Watching this was like watching a Political Correct (script written by PETA, as Humans Bad, Animals Good) G Rated version of R Rated Apocalypse Now.
217 out of 465 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what a joke
rstefdc18 July 2017
140 minutes of silly CGI monkeys not at war at all. message is pathetic. monkeys are better than humans that deserve to be wiped away. a true NWO flick that envisions their idea of exterminating us. the final avalanche is the classic symbolism of nature taking revenge and wiping away all the bad humans on both fronts, sparing only the monkey along with the mute, Jane-like baby blonde avoid this garbage at all cost.
205 out of 444 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Monkey Poo
morehabanero19 July 2017
I've walked out of movies before, but never have I walked deeper and deeper into total disdain for over 2 excruciating hours. Completely convoluted and nearly nonsensical plot, wrapped in a farcical attempt to be profound, while being utterly transparent in its attempt to copy some iconic movies and characters (Ape-ocalypse, really?!). This total monkey poo is actually what will wipe out our species by making us all stupider with every passing minute we watch it. Life is too short, go do something more worthwhile, like watching paint dry. That said, had some moments of real emotion coupled with top-notch CGI. And, it totally succeeds in making critics look like total morons.
184 out of 397 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
War? Still looking for it...
Emmet_L_Brown15 August 2017
I should have read the reviews here before going to the theatre, would have saved me the ticket, petrol, and parking.

I must have dozed off at least four times and the plot has more holes than a slice of Emmental cheese.

No war whatsoever, nada, zero, zilch. Some guerrilla combat(?) and that was it. The only war I saw was me fighting to keep awake.

Go read a book instead

172 out of 370 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad and so cliché
peasenathan14 July 2017
I don't often write reviews, but this was the first movie I walked out on in a long time.

I really liked the first two movies in this trilogy, but this movie was so bad. The story is so cliché and has been told 100 times over. The directing was horrible and most of the music and dialog was so cheesy. They even threw in a Jar Jar Binks character for some cringe worthy comic relief.

There was no reason given for the plot and there was no reason to care about Caesar or the apes. Having to listen to a bunch of apes squawk like 2 year old children while reading subtitles the entire movie was just the needle that finally broke this camels back.

I want the two hours of my life I wasted on this back!
186 out of 402 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the promised WAR? Why is the movie so slow?
inforaza22 July 2017
If you've not seen War of the Planet of Apes, here's a Warning: THERE IS NO WAR IN THE MOVIE AT ALL!

What exist are just skirmishes between humans and the imprisoned apes who were trying to escape.

In fact, it is a FLOP movie! Only 15 people were watching the show.

The first 75% of the movie is very, very slow and the movie is 30 minutes too long (actual length is 2hr 20 mins). This is because the story-writer hopelessly failed to think of ways to add Thrill and a real War – but, instead, made the plot move at a snails' pace just to elongate the movie time.

In fact, this film could easily have finished in 1 hr and 30 minutes. Not a second more.

The movie ends in an "unconvincing" manner: One military faction is eliminated by another military group. And this group is eliminated by a roaring Avalanche. This helps the apes to escape to the dessert they were planning to relocate on.

NOTE: The Avalanche was created because the story-writer could not think of a way for the apes to attack and defeat the military faction. How Convenient! LOL!

The only great thing about this movie is the CGI which makes the apes look 100% realistic. The Avalanche too looks realistic. The visuals and cinematography is great.

WPA is an extremely "unconvincing" end to a trilogy whose first 2 episodes are just Moving & Thrilling – which touched your heart and mind. They made you feel for each of the characters.

I feel like giving TIGHT SLAPS across the faces of Writers Matt Reeves and Mark Bomback, just as I felt like giving the same to Roland Emmerich for Independence Day 2.
163 out of 350 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does not live up to expectations or even its title
robertmgould-0646913 July 2017
This movie began with so much promise, however sadly by the end I felt like asking for a refund.

The visuals and cinematography were incredible, no doubting that. What angered me is the story-line and in particular the false title, "War for the Planet of the Apes". This movie does nothing to deserve the title and feels like the writers could not think of a story-line that had the apes winning while also remaining the heroes (i.e. without killing all humans).

The so-called war involves a brief skirmish in the woods between apes and humans, followed by two hours of build up to a 10 minute battle between humans and humans. Whenever the movie gave us a hint of the battle, with admittedly epic scenes which reminded me of a modern take on the opening of Gladiator, the director cut away to Caesar skulking around, Woody Harrelson doing his best zombie impression, or the apes hiding behind rocks. And this "battle" is ended by a single grenade destroying one human army, and a ridiculous avalanche destroying the other.

Yes I accept that the avalanche may represent Mother Nature destroying the humans, but why in gods name was the story-line not about apes fighting a war against humans?

This is my main issue with the movie, and I won't even go into the farcically drawn out season of Prison Break lumped into the movie for no apparent reason.

We wanted apes fighting humans. We got humans fighting humans, apes in prison, and apes getting a lucky break.
138 out of 294 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad End to a Trilogy
gmoorehe18 July 2017
I really liked the 1st movie and enjoyed the 2nd so figured the 3rd would be a good ending except they forgot to write a story. This film is 140 minutes long -- with at least 45 minutes too many of ape closeups, or should I say CGI closeups. The sad thing is they could have soared with the 3rd installment but instead made a $150 million dud. Soldiers with modern lethal weapons against apes with spears - just crazy. And the moral of the story, well there really wasn't one except all the human soldiers good and bad got killed while a remnant of apes survived along with a mysterious young girl who joined the apes. I think I would have preferred something where the conflict rises to a crescendo and then ends with a fragile peace with apes and humans learning to live together, not separate. Alas, the "authors" decided that apes and humans can't live together. Let's hope there is never another plant of the apes, ever.
156 out of 336 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring terrible film, nearly walked out
dane-9104829 July 2017
This film is s disgrace to the franchise, I really want my money back!!!

FiretrUCK you Matt Reeves!

this film should be called "FAILED INFILTRATION MISSION FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES" or "PRISONER OF THE WAR THAT NEVER HAPPENED IN THE PLANET OF THE APES" or "NO WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES"

With Ceasar and his apes in a cave, which is stupid, he should be a military commander with generals and ape soldiers, don't make them want to live in harmony with nature. The apes are smarter now. they should want to at least share the planet andfight for it, don't start them out to be weak and isolated primates with no clothes after what happen in Dawn.

The apes get attacked by the Colonel where we no nothing about him. which we get a glimpse later which makes little sense why he wants to wipe out all the apes.

Where are the people like PETA that actually like the apes and support their right to exist?

Then 4 apes go on a infiltration mission, no full scale war. which most get captured anyway except for Murrice and a little girl no one cares about.

The whole movie I could have watched at the zoo because it is just has apes in cages nearly the whole film.

Then the final showdown is muted Colonel who shoots himself. Most boring f***ing film I have seen in a long time.

The writers would find a new day job!
147 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.