Boys in the Trees (2016) Poster

A wonderful surprise!
berencamlost18 August 2017
Like some have written before me, I was ready for something in the vein of Lost Boys... Instead I was served an amazing coming-of-age story, a surreal depiction of how cruel kids can be - and what good they are capable of. Part memories, part imagination, add real life, myths, and a sprinkle of the paranormal - this is the recipe for a very good film.

A layered film that should have obligatory screenings at high-schools world wide. (I hope kids today get it)
42 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boys in the Trees: Unexpectedly good
Platypuschow15 February 2019
A random pick and a mix movie I had no knowledge of the film going in I happily went in with no expectations and walked away remarkably pleased.

Boys in the Trees is an Australian feature movie that is quite frankly genre breaking. Horror? Drama? Thriller? It's so hard to pin it down to one, though I will say the cover art will have you making incorrect assumptions.

It's a coming of age movie about a young man who is part of the "Cool kids". One day on the skate park he witnesses his best friend bullying another boy not knowing that single event would change everything.

For a fair chunk of the movie I'll be honest I thought I wasn't going to like it. I didn't like many of the characters, I couldn't get behind the protagonist and deemed the plot a bit of a jumbled mess.

Now by the end they'd turned much of that around, though the plot is still very jumbled. Thankfully it does make up for that for the most part and when the credits rolled I was hit with a wave of emotions and very thankful that I had come across this film.

It only ended moments ago but I'm left feeling it's going to stay with me for a while. It's thought provoking, powerful and not even remotely shallow alike most films these days.

With an awesome soundtrack, competent performances and some great writing I can confidently recommend Boys in the Trees to anyone seeking something that little bit different.

The Good:

Awesome soundtrack

Very good visuals

Some great writing

Powerful stuff

The Bad:

Some character flaws

Certainly won't appeal to everyone
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unclassifiable, but very enjoyable.
Sleepin_Dragon29 March 2019
I was made to believe this was a horror, and despite having horror elements, it can't be classes as such, indeed I don't think you'd be able to classify this under any particular category, and that I think is where the strength is.

It's moving, engaging, sad, and utterly surprising, it takes you on a totally unexpected journey, taking you to places you won't be expecting.

The scene I enjoyed most of all, was the one in the library, where Corey sees life through Jonah's eyes, being the bulleyed, instead of the bully.

The acting is excellent, they all impressed, but most of all, it was the writing that I enjoyed most, such genuine originality.

Very satisfying. 8/10
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A touching movie.
ravenhair70216 August 2017
My wife and I thought this was going to be a horror movie kind of like Lost Boys...it turned out to be so much more. At first, the movie kind of made no sense, but it intrigued us so much we had to keep watching. Movies are rarely made with this much emotion and feeling. I know that everyone who watched this film could relate to either being bullied or forgetting a friend they grew up with just because they weren't liked by the other kids who liked you. Fitting in is important in school and surviving school is hard. We've all been there. I hope more kids watch this movie...and makes them think how stupid their choices are. You don't get a do over in life. The choices you make are the ones you look have to live with. Some good...and some you regret. I loved this movie. Watch it. Please.
44 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hidden gem
Lugo198930 September 2017
It's quite difficult to categorise this film, I found it quite special and original, something you don't come across every day. The idea itself is great and it really draws you in. The story develops slowly and it's not exactly straight forward, since it's a surreal journey it leaves you with linking a few things together on your own but it is not complex at all so don't get discouraged by it. Hats off to all the actors, a job very well done. The ending will not disappoint you either.

It got mixed reviews on this site so it's best just to see it and make up your own mind about it. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you are looking for something fresh, well-acted with a great soundtrack and something that leaves a lasting impression and requires a bit of thinking because, let's be honest, how many films actually do that nowadays.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie
cocherdumas30 September 2019
This was an excellent movie. It's haunting. I cried like a baby! Great actors! Great actors!! Directing, editing, everything is excellent!!! Must watch. I would have been very happy paying to see this movie!!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confident and tonally assured work
spencergrande61 December 2017
A kind of coming of age flick set around Halloween in Southern Australia. A kid on the cusp of leaving town for college and better things and leaving behind his friends, family and everything he was. Over the course of a single night he reflects on his past through a meaningful encounter with an old childhood friend he left behind for his new cool group of mates.

This is a bildungsroman that goes through some familiar motions. It's about the ways in which we adapt during high school to survive. It's about the kids who don't and get left behind. It's about choosing what kind of person you grow up to be. It's all approached in a humane and thoughtful way. There aren't caricatures in this film - types and tropes perhaps but still flesh and blood. You might know where this film is going but still that doesn't prepare you for the journey.

There is a great middle segment involving a local girl who also dreams of leaving town for the big city. She's a smart and driven, though clearly taken for granted. She gives the eponymous "boys heads are in the trees" speech that helps prevent the movie from becoming overly serious about its own themes and hang-ups. There's surprising emotion to be found, including an end scene between two characters who have become opposites but still share a mutual love for each other.

There are scenes of mystery, wonder, darkness and humor. A day of the dead festival sequence with a cover of Live's "Lightning Crashes" mesmerizes. The soundtrack and the cinematography are top notch - slow motion kids on bikes set to "The Beautiful People", the color of fireworks as they pop in the night and a giant light-limned tree growing up out of the vast dark. This is a confident and tonally assured work that deserves to find a bigger audience.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Difficult to rate
LittleLotti10 September 2018
I went into this film knowing nothing about it, just expecting a mild horror movie with no substance. This movie is not horror at all, but that shouldn't deter you from watching it. It's unlike most films and I don't really know what you would classify this as, all I know is something about it really touched me. This movie has a lot going on at times, but it focuses a bit on being true to yourself and standing up for what is right. It's also about not losing sight of your dreams, and facing your past and the mistakes you've made, especially when they affect other people. It's a coming of age tale set in the late nineties on Halloween so it's oozing with nostalgia. This movie will definitely not be for everyone but I personally enjoyed it and the cast. Toby Wallace does an incredible job portraying his character and the broad emotions he experiences. The surreal element took me by surprise but it added a level of magic to the story that I quite enjoyed. It's hard to rate this because I don't think it's one of the greatest movies I've ever seen but I can't get it out of my mind either. It was a journey that left me in tears. You just have to watch it and decide for yourself.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it - hard to believe it's an Australian film.
sas-4680122 October 2016
It's a rare movie that makes you feel as though it was created just for you - but Boys In The trees hits the mark so perfectly on what it was like to be a teen in the Australian 90s that my level of empathy for the characters was off the charts.

The soundtrack is incredible, the cinematography is pure and the young Aussie leads have taken hold of the ambitious script with both hands and delivered performances that are nothing short of star-making. Toby Wallace as Corey and Mitzi Ruhlmann as Romany are particularly strong. Justin Holborow as the bully Jango also plays his part with true grit.

This is the evolution of the traditional coming of age tale, with the Writer/Director Nicholas Verso creating such an ethereal landscape you feel moments of 'What Dreams May Come' style fantasy seamlessly anchored by the exquisitely curated 90s Adelaide suburbia.

I absolutely adored this movie. Anyone who loves fantasy will adore it. It's a must-see for everyone who loves movies that straddle the line between fantasy and reality.
50 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hauntingly Crafted
celticknight-790414 December 2017
I'd like to follow up on Matthew Jacob De Beer, review from August 24,2017.

FORGET the haters and negative Nancy's, you might read here! I just recently found this movie, on a whim and "popped up" out of the blue. Being a HUGE Halloween/Samhain fan and haunter, I had to see what this was about. Mr. De Beer, calls this film 'soulless" and "boring". I have to respond and say, only, a "soulless" person, could say such a thing! On the contrary this movie, has much more "soul", in more than one way. IF, you pay attention to details, there is much foreshadowing.

I found every aspect of it to be fun, whimsy, haunting, captivating, sadness, tearjerker, friendship and desertion, and a sense of a secretive, unspoken, mutual love, with regrets, caught between two friends and,..two worlds. Almost a miracle of sorts for one to reconcile with the other.

This story feels "real"! Who doesn't know, in your own life, the characteristics and personalities of each of the characters here? You can almost envision, people you know, into these characters. The actors were exceptional and talented. I've watched this over and over, already. It is well scripted and directed. A coming of age story enveloping the past, current and future.

Thank you, to ALL who made this movie possible and sharing a well crafted vision, of such a sincere and emotional scope.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Growing Up Is Hard To Do
Foutainoflife29 June 2018
This was pretty awesome. It was beautifully shot with slow, mesmerizing moments that helped capture the mood. The actors performed well and the story of maturing was told with great sincerity. I'm glad I came across it. I only gave it a score of 9 because I thought it was supposed to be a bit creepier than it actually was. Totally worth it though.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great little film
omendata9 November 2017
There aren't many films from Australia I haven't liked and this is definitely one of them.

Superb acting from virtually all the cast and well filmed, so well filmed I would never have guessed it was Australia.

I figured out what it was all about quite early on but the story was still fascinatingly surreal and drew you into its mystery and the characters themselves; the angst of youth and the tribulations we all had to go through when we were young and in that way it will probably appeal more to older folks,.

Its not for everyone but if you are looking for horror or lots of action and cgi then its not for you - if you want to have your brain tweaked and your senses stretched then its one for you.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Scary, Just Excellent
twelve-house-books27 December 2018
This one will make a big bearded man cry and remember his own childhood. One like me.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing film, but be ready for an emotional roller-coaster
cassandrebouchard23 October 2017
I was expecting more of a thriller movie, similar to the Lost Boys as many people have already stated, but what we got was a movie of the coming of age archetype. Honestly, I really enjoyed this movie. It made me laugh as easily as it made me cry (and it will make you cry. Trust me.) Personally, while being a girl, I have two younger brothers and I found the depiction of teenage boys very accurate, but I really liked that you get to see the emotional side of them. Idk I'm kind of rambling but its very good, you will love it but it will play with you (trying to find a way to phrase that without swearing is difficult). Totally unexpected ending, but very good.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly, a brilliant film and story!!!
gdippenaar4 October 2017
I was sceptical and not very gripped at the start of the film, I've seen too much rubbish come out of Australia, but once you give it a try and look past your reservations... Your'e hooked!

Truly great performances by the actors, as well as the crew. I wouldn't have been able to tell this isn't a Hollywood film if it weren't for the accents and small giveaways... Captivating and emotional. A must see!!!

Might even give it a 10/10 if I watched it again :D
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a horror film
elissamoreland18 April 2018
I was expecting a horror movie and what I got was a very good coming of age movie. Worth the view
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Halloween Movie
rbunuan14 July 2018
Boys in the Trees is a coming-of-age film, despite many streaming services mislabeling it as a horror. There's only one scare in the film; however, the real horror in this film is the fear of growing up, which is executed flawlessly through the performances of the actors, the 90s/Halloween setting, and the surreal tone of the film. The only thing bringing down this film is the ending, which is not only regrettably predictable, but it also renders some of the previous scenes nonsensical. Worth watching for the excellent performances and the perfect representation of a child/teen's view of growing up.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow! Unforgettable!
Beththebest8929 January 2019
I watched this without any info other than the synopsis given on Netflix; btw, I can't believe this isn't more highly rated on there! I thought it was going to be a silly teen horror flick, but it wasn't that at all. It was a beautiful, complex story of friendship and maturing told in a creative and imaginative way. My husband also said he thought all young people should watch it. While it has some pretty heavy subject matter, at least some good can be learned from it. I'm so glad we watched it; it's very rare that a film impacts me like this one did.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Story, Cinematography, Soundtrack
bfslamin24 March 2018
Such a dark yet feel good movie with a touch of horror. Everything about this story is pure complemented with the music, cinematography and acting.

The angst, the real dark truth.... it really hit me. It's relateable even if your own story isn't exactly this.

Kudos!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterful...and hollow.
tattoopig24 August 2017
First allow me to say a few good things about this astonishing film - it is visually magnificent. The camera work is brilliant. The acting is superb. The segments of story are clever, entertaining and creepy as hell. The locations/sets are amazing. The concept is quite unique.

Unfortunately, it is probably the most boring film I have seen all year.

No matter how masterfully this film is crafted, it has no soul. There is nothing here to lure you in - I found I didn't care what happened to any of the characters, the good ones or the bad ones (that's simplifying things because there are no real good or bad here).

Watching this movie is like looking at a cake display through a window...it all looks so beautiful, but you can't smell or taste anything. Technically, this film scores a solid 8/10....as far as its entertainment value goes, I give it a 4/10.

But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
16 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just incredible
ksdaddybear30 May 2018
This is one of the most beautiful coming of age films I have ever seen. so moving and touching and sad. I only wish I could find a region 1 dvd of this movie.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what u expect
thedivide10 January 2018
I thought it was going to be a straight horror film, and some parts were very creepy and a bit scary but on the surrealistic side, but really it was a dark story about friendship and what you leave behind as you try to fit in and find yourself as you grow up. Every one of us has a story like this one and when you remember it will hurt, but hopefully in a good way.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece in its own right
tastingthestars24 April 2020
This is a film that sticks with you, one that shakes the core of your soul. I went into it thinking it was a horror film, and finished it thinking it was something else entirely. This is a movie that will especially shake you if you have ever been bullied, or have experienced discrimination and disrespect because of who you are.

The theme of lgbt discrimination in this movie is subtle, but still there. And as much as this movie is a cry for people to think about their actions, it is also a movie of reflection of childhoods, youth and the friendships that we make throughout our childhoods. How sacred friendship is, and how it can sometimes get lost along the way. But there is hope for it to mend. Sometimes, when we least expect it. And sometimes too late.

This movie deserves all of the praise. It truly is a beautiful film.
What a surprise!
ayesha_lea22 November 2019
Caught this by accident on Stan .. I generally avoid Aussie movies but this was just awesome. Offbeat weird a touch creepy and all put together with an absolutely killer soundtrack. Do yourself a favour and see this movie!!!!
Beautiful, Touching Film
zombieferrets24 June 2019
It'll confuse you, make you cry, warm your heart, and make you want to be a better person.

Watch it.