Investigation 13 (2019) Poster

Worst plagiarized movie ever
Shizuka200810 September 2019
Some kids decide to stay overnight in some creepy old mental asylum and then...

"Wait", you say, "haven't I seen this a thousand times before?"

Yes, you have - but never as bad as this.

The only horror about this stinker is the total lack of any originality or creativity or talent you are going to witness.

In that way it works - the lack of any basic filmmaking skills is really horrific and will scare you for weeks to come.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eh...
BandSAboutMovies10 September 2019
Screen icon Meg Foster (Stepfather 2, They Live, Masters of the Universe) was the draw that made me watch this film. Sadly, she only appears in the movie for a very short amount of time, but trust me. She's the best part.

The PR materials for this film promise that it combines "traditional narrative story-telling, as well as numerous forms of pioneering technology, including found footage, hand-held cameras, surveillance cameras, and smart glasses." That's true - and you can also tell where they ran out of budget and had to resort to shooting the storyboards as animatics and decided to treat that as an intentional choice.

This is literally about the thirteenth investigation that a group of college science students makes, this time delving into the urban legend of The Mole Man, an ex-patient of the Black Grove Asylum.

According to the movie's IMDB page, "This first feature will introduce the killer and we're looking to do a spin-off series where we will then go on to produce Mole Man, Mole Man 2 and Mole Man 3." This movie finally got scary, because I know at some point I will have to suffer through all three of those movies the same way I did this one.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating...
shodson-8282115 September 2019
I was actually quite impressed with Investigation 13. Very suspenseful and well done kept me on the edge of my seat...Plus Meg Foster definitely didnt disappoint. If you a true Horror Fan you should appreciate the great story telling and the way the whole move was put together as a whole.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary
esteeluna19 September 2019
This movie had great actors in it. I would recommend
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard tortured person to ghost idea but I don't mind that.
leerjwd18 September 2019
What I don't like is the manga cartoon backstory - really odd and probably no cheaper than filming it with lower standard actors.

And I really do not understand (or like) the fact that they are filming with a handycam (Sony I think) that states HD on its fold out screen but when that footage is shown it is in monochrome and REALLY grainy. That makes no sense at all - it isn't archive/vintage footage.

Then the manga cartoons are injected again and again in the various clips of backstory. All the drawn characters are "Asian" but the language is American English as is any writing shown within them. Just odd.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some amazing and novel film techniques!
TheMovieKing410 September 2019
Slasher films are always a lot of fun, but unfortunately for as many Halloween's, there are 10 Silent Night Deadly Night: Part 2's. What is so great about Investigation 13 is that it takes some strong and an out of the box film story telling techniques, IE found footage and even Flashback animation (Krumpus style) to take a already above average horror story up a couple levels, and that alone sets this one apart from some other fare you might find in the 2000s slasher market. Meg Foster gives a chilling performance, but also everyone else acts their heart out as well. It's these type of high quality films that put the South Florida film circuit back on the map. What could have been a lazy attempt, ended up being a great genre offering.
9 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.